PDA

View Full Version : Oh, no! A dead battery.

A.R. Cane
10-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Last monday I went for my regular chemo treatment. It was foggy so I had my headlights on and of course I forgot to turn them off. When I came out, about 4 hours later, I discovered my error. Not wanting to spend money unnecessarily, I turn of the switch and waited about 45 min., hoping the batt. might bounce back enough to start my P/U, but no luck. I then called a couple of nearby places but neither had road service. The second guy suggested I call a local Les Schwab, a NW tire dealer. They said they'd send someone and, while I waited, I pondered how much this was going to lighten my wallet, $40, $50? The guy came about 30 minutes later, jump started me, and when I got out my wallet he said, "Don't worry about it." I was more than a little surprised and tried, twice, to give him a twenty, but he would not take it.
I've done business w/ this company a number of times over the years, bought tires for my big rig, a couple of batteries. They have a good reputation and have been quick to make an adjustment when there was a problem. I'm guessing the guy cut me some slack because of where I was, and I certainly appreciated it, chemo doesn't make for great days. I will go to one of their stores the next time I need tires, a batt., or even brake work. I hope you might remember my experience and consider using them too, if you live in the PNW.
I hope this doesn't violate any rules, it's just my pleasant experience on an otherwise not so good day.

vetbridge
10-08-2007, 08:33 AM
I hope you might remember my experience and consider using them too, if you live in the PNW.
I wish I could give them some business. I have friends in Oregon, so I copied and pasted your experience to them.

racer72
10-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Les Shwab stores will also repair flats for free too, even if you bought the tire elsewhere. They also do tire rotations, check tire pressures and batteries for free too.

Taters
10-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I have never had anything but excellent service from Les Schwab.

I've been using their services since the late 80s, so that's a good, long track record.

whiterabbit
10-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm glad to hear that, because I was sent there to get a set of tire chains, and when I get home I'm going to need to look into snow tires as well. I've heard of them but never lived anywhere they were until now.

lizardling
10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
+1 re Les Schwab. I had a similar experience wrt a flat.

Basically I got a flat late at work, had a tow guy from AAA come in to look at it and put a spare on since I didn't have a jack. :smack: (that plus I'm tiny and usually need to put all my weight on the 4-way to loosen the nuts. :p )

Took the car + flat tire to Les Schwab the next day, and they were very nice about doing it for free. Totally would give them my business again when I need to buy new tires.

Rick
10-08-2007, 09:26 PM
If you find yourself somewhere there is not a Les Schwab, I can also recommend America's Tire company.
They also fix flats for free. But what really got me in their camp was an article in LA's Daily News.
There was a single mother who got a flat in the rain, she changed the tire herself and drove to the local America's Tire Company store.
She asked to have her tire fixed. The writer went out to get the tire, and saw that all 4 of her tires were bald. He pointed out that bald tires in the rain where dangerous, and that she had young children. She agreed that he was correct, but it was near Christmas and money was tight, and she would have to wait for new tires, or the kids would not get a Christmas.
He told her to wait inside, and they would get the tire taken care of.
About 20 minutes later she is informed that her car is done. When she goes out to the car, there are four brand new tires on it. She protests that she cannot afford new tires, the manager tells her that he would not be able to live with himself if she drove off on bald tires, got into an accident. He wishes her a Merry Christmas, and sends her on her way for no charge.
In my book that is seriously cool. As a result I buy all my tires from them.