PDA

View Full Version : DVD RAM question

filmyak
10-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I've got some old DVD RAM discs -- basically recordable DVDs in a permanent plastic casing, which predate the now standard DVD-R's -- and I no longer have a computer with a DVD RAM reader.

I once heard someone say that if you popped the case open and removed the disc, that you wouldn't be able to write to anymore but that it'd still be readable. Is this accurate? I'm just looking to transfer the info from the old discs onto some newer media.

Anyone ever try this? Is it easy to do? Does it actually work?

Sunspace
10-23-2007, 04:26 PM
You need a drive that can read DVD-RAM discs. Many after-market LG drives can do this, but the kind of drives that go in laptops often can't.

DVD-RAM discs themselves don't always come in cartridges; when I got an LG "Super Multi" drive for my old PC, it could read and write DVD-RAM discs, and came with a bare Maxell DVD-RAM disc in a regular jewel case. I believe you should be able to remove the DVD-RAM disc from its cartridge and read it no problem... assuming your drive can read DVD-RAM.

Sunspace
10-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Here's the DVD FAQ (http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html) on DVD-RAM (http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3.4):Single-sided DVD-RAM discs come with or without cartridges. There are nine types of cartridges...

Discs can only be written while in the cartridge. Double-sided DVD-RAM discs were initially available in sealed cartridges only, but now come in removable versions as well. Cartridge dimensions are 124.6 mm x 135.5 mm x 8.0 mm...

Type 2 DVD-RAM cartridges allow the disc to be removed so that it can be played in standard players or drives. (However, most players and drives still won't be able to read the disc...)

First break (yes, break) the locking pin by pushing on it with a pointed object such as a ballpoint pen. Remove the locking pin. Unlatch the cover by using a pointed object to press the indentation on the back left corner of the cartridge. Data is recorded on the unprinted side of the disc -- do not touch it. When you put the bare disc back the cartridge, make sure the printed side of the shutter and the printed side of the disc face the same direction.

Most DVD-RAM drives will not allow you to write to a bare disc. Some will not allow you to write to a cartridge if the disc has been removed.My LG drive did write to a bare DVD-RAM disc.

filmyak
10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Good to know that it's at least safe to take out of the cartridge... will give it a shot, thanks!

Sunspace
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Good to know that it's at least safe to take out of the cartridge... will give it a shot, thanks!Do you have access to a DVD-RAM reader?

filmyak
10-23-2007, 04:53 PM
We're about to find out...