PDA

View Full Version : Memorable advertising jingles for defunct products

Jackmannii
11-29-2007, 01:33 PM
There are several still kicking around obscure corners of my brain, occasionally sneaking into consciousness, even though the products they promoted are either off the market or deep in obscurity.

These relate to growing up in the New York area:

Castro Convertibles. As I remember, these were convertible sofa-beds advertised heavily in the 1960s and apparently even earlier.

Who's the first to conquer living space
It's in-con-tra-vertible
That the first to conquer living space
Is the Castro Convertible

Who conquers space with fine design
who saves you money all the time
who's tops in the convertible line
Cas-tro convertible!

I never bought one of these or knew anyone who did. They seem to have been to the '60s what futons were in the '90s.

Then there was Dorman's Endeco Cheese, a truly oddly named product promoted via lots of radio ads. The jingle's lyrics were more annoying than memorable, and included the claim that "we make cheese the old-fashioned way", which I imagine involved a large vat in Passaic, New Jersey. Never ate the stuff.

Lastly there was Rheingold beer, which I seem to remember sponsored the Mets when they were awful, and had a jingle set to a (previously) obscure classical waltz:

My beer is Rheingold, the dry beer
I drink Rheingold whenever I buy beer
Rheingold's taste ain't effete
Smells like old stinky feet
Pabst and Schlitz can't compete
With my beer!

Or something like that. Rheingold went bust after awhile; last I heard it had been reincarnated as a microbrewery beer under new ownership. I've never tried either the old or new Rheingold.

Other product jingles you can't delete from your memory files, no matter how you try?

Ruffian
11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Fruit Corners Fruit Bars.

Taste so good, makes your taste buds shout
Looks so ugly, gonna knock you out!

"They did that to fruit?"
"Tsk tsk tsk, what a pity!"

Fruit Corners Fruit Bars
We think they're rather pretty!

Fruit Corners...Fruit Bars
So Good

And ugly!
(screeeeeeeeeam)

...From the mid 1980s, FTR.

jjimm
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
From my childhood in Texas:

Everything is beautiful
At Peacock's

I can't even remember what Peacock's was.

Also Micky Batson Datsun! who got really annoyed when Datsun changed to Nissan ("They ruined my slogan!").

A defunct fruit drink from the 1980s in England (I write this from memory):

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo
A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango,
He stuck it with the others
And he danced a dainty tango.

The python picked the passionfruit
The marmoset the mandarin
The parrot painted packets
That the whole caboodle landed in.

So when it comes to sun and fun
And goodness in the jungle,
They all prefer the sunny funny one
They call Um-Bongo.

Um-Bongo Um-Bongo
They drink it in the Congo.

CalMeacham
11-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Then there was Dorman's Endeco Cheese, a truly oddly named product promoted via lots of radio ads. The jingle's lyrics were more annoying than memorable, and included the claim that "we make cheese the old-fashioned way", which I imagine involved a large vat in Passaic, New Jersey. Never ate the stuff.

Ah, yes, Dorman's Endeco Cheese. I always wobndered about that name -- it's l;ike Ruth's Chris Steak House. I spent years wondering what "Endeco" cheese was. They ran TV commercials, too, with animated cows. You neglected to include the lyrics:

Buy yourself a Package
Of Natural Goodness
Dorman's Endeco Cheese!

Dorman's!

Dor-or-man's

Ooh-ooh-OOH-oooh-oohohh-ohh-OHHHHHH!

(Spoken) Dorman's -- The Cheese With the Paper Between the Slices!

How about Ipana Toothpaste, with its spokescreature Bucky Beaver?

Brush-a, Brush-a, Brush-a
With your new Ipana!

I think Brylcream is still around, but its jingle isn't:

Brylcream!
A little dab'll do ya!

Annie-Xmas
11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Brylcream!
A little dab'll do ya!

Use more only if you dare.
But watch out, the gals will all come to ya.
They'll love to put their fingers in your hair.

There's also:

Winston tastes good like a cigarette should.

Jackmannii
11-29-2007, 02:13 PM
You neglected to include the lyrics:

Dorman's!

Dor-or-man's

Ooh-ooh-OOH-oooh-oohohh-ohh-OHHHHHH!There's such a thing as purposeful neglect, ya know. :rolleyes: (Spoken) Dorman's -- The Cheese With the Paper Between the Slices! I had forgotten that part. Were they the first to come up with this innovation? Maybe "Endeco" is Sicilian dialect for "Paper Between The Slices".

kitemaker_chuck
11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Here's a jingle I remember from back in the 1960's:

"Two guys singing the jingle pretty fast"..........

Moola-Coola, Moola-Coola
Moola-Coola, Moola-Coola
Moola-Coola, Moola-Coola
The softdrink that comes from a cow!!!

jjimm
11-29-2007, 03:35 PM
You'll wonder where the yellow went
When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

freckafree
11-29-2007, 03:38 PM
A defunct fruit drink from the 1980s in England (I write this from memory):

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo
A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango,
He stuck it with the others
And he danced a dainty tango.

In Brit pronunciation, do Congo, mango and tango rhyme?!?

jjimm
11-29-2007, 03:56 PM
In Brit pronunciation, do Congo, mango and tango rhyme?!?Mango and tango do. Congo, not so much. Nor does jungle rhyme with any of those words. But it was so enthusiastic, the lack of rhyme was forgiven.

ETA: yay! I found it! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBohQxBh2k&feature=related). They don't make ads like that any more.

Skara_Brae
11-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Don't they still make Pepsodent? :confused:

gotpasswords
11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Datsuuuuun! We. Are. Driven!

The first Chevy of the Eighties - Chevy Citation

Northwest Orient <gonnnnngggg> Airlines

gotpasswords
11-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Don't they still make Pepsodent? :confused:
Yep. We have no problem finding it at the grocery store.

ZipperJJ
11-29-2007, 04:29 PM
In NE Ohio we have:

Garfield 1 2-3-2-3

Which is the old old old telephone number for [looks it up...] The Home Corporation which does...[looks it up...] "Home Improvements."

They were still using this jingle in the 80's, but it didn't really do them any good since everyone remembered the jingle yet there was no way to "call" that number by then.

But alas, it seems like they were saved by the Internet. Now we can "call" www.garfield12323.com and find out what the heck they do.

Lucky 13
11-29-2007, 05:43 PM
There used to be a home-improvement store called Ole's in the LA area. The jingle was sung by a woman:

With Ole's help
You can do anything!

Does anyone remember Zooroni? "Zooroni, Zooroni for Lunch!" My siblings always asked for this canned, animal-shaped pasta product, but our mom never bought any. Same for Beany Weeny, whose jingle was sung to the tune of "Itsy-Bitsy Teeny-Weenie Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini."

Roderick Femm
11-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Grandma's Cookies, for which my mother worked (not the cheesy national brand but one local to Portland, Oregon) had this little ditty (from memory)

Buy Grandma's Cookies
Go try some right away,
You'll love Grandma's Cookies,
You'll eat them every day.

Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum,
Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum -
They're so tasty,
Better be hasty,
Buy Grandma's at your grocer's
Today!

The family owned business that made these cookies was sold off long ago to some chain or something, and the local Grandma's name retired. My memories include the fact that we always had large tins full of free broken cookies, one of the perks of working there.

(My father worked for a meat-packing plant, so we also had plenty of meat at low prices, but they were wholesale only and so didn't have a jingle.)

I suppose Kraft Cottage Cheese is still around, but this is like the shortest jingle/commercial I remember:

A cartoon bird rushes onscreen in front of a large clock with a second hand ticking down, and says "I have six seconds to sing:

Buy Kraft Cottage Cheese
You'll love it, love it,
Buy Kraft (pushes back second hand on clock) Cottage Cheese!"

I guess you had to be there...

Roddy

teela brown
11-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Castro Convertibles.

For the rest of the day, I'm going to have the image of Fidel driving around in a convertible, cigar clenched in his teeth, waving his military cap in a carefree manner to the cheering multitudes.

NailBunny
11-29-2007, 07:14 PM
I have fond memories of it always beginning to feel like Christmas when I saw the first Payless Christmas commercials:

"Merry Christmas, from Payless
Merry Chriiiiistmaaaaas!"

That was it. But they made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Hasn't been such a thing as a Payless in at least ten years. Rite-Aid, my ass.

Beware of Doug
11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
...but the first web hit I got says "out of stock." And their advertising campaign (http://www.diamondbeauty.com/graphics/misc2/wildroot-charlie.jpg) is definitely (http://www.freewebs.com/salesmansam/fosdick.jpg) defunct.

(Sing to tune of "I've Been Working on the Railroad", in a fast four-beat)

You better get Wildroot Cream-Oil, Charlie
It keeps your hair in trim
You know it's non-alcoholic, Charlie
It's made with soothin' lanolin
You better get Wildroot Cream-Oil, Charlie
Start usin' it today
You'll find that you will have a tough time, Charlie
Keepin' all those gals away (Hi-i-ya Baldy)
A little goes a long long way (You'll hear me screamin')
Get a bottle right away (Your druggist has it)
Keeps you lookin' neat all daaay

Dewey Finn
11-29-2007, 08:07 PM
I remember the commercials in the New York area for Kleinsleep (a local chain of mattress stores).

"Have more fun in bed
Have more fun in bed.
Buy your bed at Kleinsleep, and have more fun in bed!"

The commercials also showed novelty headboards, like the one with a basketball hoop on it.

cmkeller
11-29-2007, 10:49 PM
"Don't squeeze the Charmin!"

OK, Charmin may not be defunct yet, but Mister Whipple is, so I figured it was worth a mention.

Ruffian
11-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I thought of another one...and since thinking of it, the jingle has been in my head all evening. Thanks a lot.

Anyway, the commercial was for some homework service in central Indiana (where I grew up) called "Dial A Teacher." It's been 20 years since I lived in Indy, so I'm assuming it's a defunct service.

Annoyingly, I can't remember how the jingle starts, but essentially someone is lamenting how hard homework is, and an acapella 4-part high school choir-sounding group sings,

"Cool it man, don't get uptight!
The answer is quick, the answer is right!
Call 266-4300 ("two-six-six, four-three hundred"), 266-4300, 266-4300..."
<abrupt change to final info screen and voiceover>

"For help with homework problems, call Dial-A-Teacher at two-six-six-four-three-oh-oh!"

The whole commercial was pretty darn cheap looking, complete with puffy-haired 80s teens holding up number placards to form the phone number as they sang. And yet, 20+ years later, I remember the phone number.

A friend and I did actually call the service once when we were genuinely stuck on a math problem (I think we were in 6th grade or so). We called the number and were asked what text we were using (lots of questions on the publisher, year, lesson, etc), and then finally...they just told us the answer. That's all. We were disappointed--we actually wanted to know HOW to get the answer, and they were useless for that.

JimmyFlair
11-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I feel like chicken tonight!
Like chicken tonight!

This one had not just a jingle but a dance move!

Chicken tonight! :D

633squadron
11-29-2007, 11:07 PM

The first one I thought of. :p

DrDeth
11-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I feel like chicken tonight!
Like chicken tonight!

This one had not just a jingle but a dance move!

Chicken tonight! :D

Yes. And then there's

"Say the Magic Word, say Mission Pack, and it's on it's merry way. No gift so gay, so right, so bright, as a Mission Pack on it's way". (words not exact).

This was when you'd send Oranges for Christmas to your relatives outside the Sunbelt.

picunurse
11-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Brusha brusha brusha with the new Ipana. Ipana toothpaste.

Old Chevy bit an easy earworm:

"See the USA in your Chevrolet
America is asking you to call."

Neidhart
11-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Whether jazz or operatic
In a ballroom or an attic
With the brand-new automatic 1201!

(for Philco radios)

Annie-Xmas
11-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Here's a jingle I remember from back in the 1960's:

"Two guys singing the jingle pretty fast"..........

Moola-Coola, Moola-Coola
Moola-Coola, Moola-Coola
Moola-Coola, Moola-Coola
The softdrink that comes from a cow!!!

It's in your grocery stores now!

BobLibDem
11-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Not being a smoker, I don't know if these are still being made, but the title immediately made me think of Roi-Tan cigars. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOWvd7vrSW0)

DesertDog
11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
And yet, 20+ years later, I remember the phone number.Well, that's what the jingle's for, after all.

One of the papers here had radio commercials for their classified ads that went something like,
To sell a car or a boat
Or a horse or a goat*
Call four four four, four-four four-four

The part that broke me up was they'd have the whole jingle at the top of the commercial, then an announcer would extol the virtues, including whatever special they were running (Run three days and get the fourths day free!). Next, just the 'call' part of the jingle again, twice, and the announcer would be back, "If that's too hard to remember, just keep punching four until somebody answers."

*I think they were reaching for a rhyme here. There's not a lot of livestock sold.

Bill Door
11-30-2007, 08:32 AM
(snip)My beer is Rheingold, the dry beer
I drink Rheingold whenever I buy beer
Rheingold's taste ain't effete
Smells like old stinky feet
Pabst and Schlitz can't compete
With my beer!

Or something like that. Rheingold went bust after awhile; last I heard it had been reincarnated as a microbrewery beer under new ownership. I've never tried either the old or new Rheingold.

Other product jingles you can't delete from your memory files, no matter how you try?

While your version is probably one you remember hearing, the one used in the ads was:

My beer is Rheingold the dry beer. Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer. It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat, won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?

The tune it is sung to is Estudiantina Valse, Opus 191, No. 4 (The Students' Waltz). I hear this occasionally on the radio, and can't help but sing along. It's like the "Kill the Wabbit" version of Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Tristan
11-30-2007, 08:33 AM
It's a little more conventional, but the other day I caught a new round of the "1-800-BARTEND" commercials with the female singer singing all the drinks she learned to make that day.

I mentioned it to my wife, and said that the new girl wasn't as enthusiastic as the old one with the guy. When she said she didn't rememeber it, I sang the entire thing from memory, even though it had probably been 2 years or so since I had heard it...

I made a Slippery Nipple and a White Russian,
A Neutron Bomb and a Manhattan!
A dry martini and a pina coloda,
Purple Hooters and a Bahama Mamma!

If you're looking for a school to attend,
Call 1-800 (dun dun dun) BARTEND!

ColonelDax
11-30-2007, 08:52 AM
"Everybody goes to Gino's (http://members.aol.com/jsf0864/page1.html) 'cause Gino's is the place to go."

gotpasswords
11-30-2007, 11:07 AM
That Gino's bit triggered another one from the bottom of my brain. Chicagoans may remember

Everybody loves Lee and Eddie's
Mom and dad and all the kiddies too...

Elendil's Heir
11-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Buddy's Carpets.

"Come on by, folks, 'cause I loooooooooove to sell carpets!"

MaxTheVool
11-30-2007, 10:51 PM
For breakfast cereal:

It's "Circus Fun", right in your bowl
And you're gonna wanna come flyin'
With horses and hoops, bells and bears
Elephants and lions

Tikki
12-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Thought of one today as I was perusing the crab legs at Costco. It's for a local chain called Sea Galley, which, unfortunately, became defunct somewhere in the early or mid eighties. Sea Galley was along the lines of Red Lobster, which, back then was called Pantley's Red Lobster. But I digress.

Picture several waiters with giant crab legs instead of people legs, with crab claws for feet. They're dancing around and singing:

Crab legs. We've got crab legs.
Sea Galley.
We've got crab legs.
Sea Galley.
We've got snow! Snow! Snow!
King! King! King!
Dungeness too!

Few commercials have been as fun to watch or had as catchy a jingle, in my opinion. All these years later, I still think of them when I think of crab legs.

meek
12-12-2007, 09:02 AM
If you've got trouble - wait, don't run.
This kind of trouble is lots of fun.

Pop-A-matic, pops the dice.
Pop a six and you move twice.

Race your man around the track
And try to send the others back.

That's Pop-A-matic Trouble!

Watch the dice in the plastic bubble
It pops you in and out of trouble.

Here comes sister, look out Jack!
You've got trouble you'll go back.

The game is fun for Dad and Mother
and sis can trouble her mean old brother.

Trouble Trouble! That's Pop-A-matic Trouble!

(From Irwin)

This 30- second TV ad ran in the late 60's and early 70's IIRC.

I can't shake it from my memory even though I haven't seen this spot for decades.
:smack: Get out of my head! :smack: Dang-it! :smack:

Max Torque
12-12-2007, 10:10 AM
"Mug O' Lunch, Mug O' Lunch, Mug O' Lunch!"

I can't remember any of the words, unfortunately, because my brother and I rewrote the lyrics in that special crude but hilarious way that you do when you're 7, and now the rewrites are all I can remember.

Hoopy Frood
12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Though the cereal was around during the 60's and early 70's originally (way before my time), Post released a version in the 80's:

Hello my name is Crispy
how do you do?
Crispy Critters cereal's entirely new
its indubitably, (indubitably)
indubitably, (indubitably)
indiubitably (indubitably) delicious!

And alternately:

Oh here come Crispy Critters.
A good, wholesome bunch!
A low sugar cereal... With lots of crrrunch!
Its indubitably, (indubitably)
indubitably, (indubitably)
indubitably, (indubitably) delicious!!

The "idubitably" in parentheses was the little kid trying to echo the ALF reject's word but couldn't pronounce it so it came out as "in-doob-a-lee".

And let's not forget the Durante-esque Ah-cha-cha-cha at the end.

Xema
12-12-2007, 11:03 AM
I've heard it as: But watch out, the gals will all pursue ya

There's also: Winston tastes good like a cigarette should.
Didn't that lead to: What do you want - good grammar or good taste?

Neidhart
12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Sea Galley must have been a national chain, because I remember those "crab legs" ads too and I live in DC. I thought they were cute, but my mother was disgusted by them.

Another I recently remembered, from 1982, sung by animated vegetables:

I'm Sir Celery!
I'm Miss Parsley!
We are the Onion Twins!

Tuna Twist makes tuna taste
fresh as a garden!

Mudz
12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Sound effect of glass smashing.
"When you hear the crash, think of Jones Paint and Glass."

We'd hear this jingle when driving home from football games. My brothers and I would giggle as we'd sing 'When you hear the crash, think of Joan's Painted A$$.'

Mudz
12-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Sound effect of glass smashing.
"When you hear the crash, think of Jones Paint and Glass."

We'd hear this jingle when driving home from football games. My brothers and I would giggle as we'd sing 'When you hear the crash, think of Joan's Painted A$$.'

estreet
12-12-2007, 12:55 PM

There's also:

Winston tastes good like a cigarette should.

Brylcreem is still around for those who like the greasy look. Also, you almost got the ad words right. It should be "Watch out, the girls will all pursue ya. They'll love to run their fingers through your hair.

LeRat
12-12-2007, 01:07 PM
The very first posting mentioning Rheingold beer reminded me of a song from the VERY early '70s.

It goes to the tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, or John Brown's body lies a mouldering in the grave...

Mine eyes have seen the glory
Of the coming of the Lord
He is racing down the highway
In a black and yellow Ford
He has one hand on the throttle
And another on a bottle
Of RHEINGOLD EXTRA DRY

Lionne
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
The right look
The right price
J Byrons

J Byrons was a clothing store...I was in 3rd, 4th grade, so this was around 1990. Then they changed their name to just Byrons, and the last line of the jingle to "at Byrons"
I can't find any mention of them online, so they must have gone under or merged at some point. But it was a very big earworm for me.

Anastasaeon
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Nintendo
Two cereals in one! WOW!

Suse
12-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I loved the Spiece jingles:

I'm the jeans man, baby, gonna make 'em fit tight
The jeans man, baby, gonna make 'em feel right

or

He's the jeans man, baby, we're not talking fancy pants
The jeans man, baby, we're not talking hot romance
C'mon baby, let's get 'em up and get 'em on

I miss Tom Spiece. He did the coolest commercials.

Morbo
12-12-2007, 06:09 PM
"See the USA in your Chevrolet
America is asking you to call."

Chevy went defunct? I had no idea.

And I'm sorry in advance to do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN1-s6fc-88) to everyone.

Darth Sensitive
12-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Riot at drug store
Calling all cars
100 customers
99 jars

BURMA SHAVE

kunilou
12-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Back when humorist Stan Freberg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Freberg) was doing TV commercials, he made one for Jeno's Pizza Rolls featuring the William Tell Overture "(Have a pizza, pizza, pizza roll!"). at the end of the spot, a cigaret smoking man in a dinner jacket (representing Lark cigarets, which also used the William Tell Overture) begins to challenge the choice of music. He, in turn, is challenged by the Lone Ranger.

Also:

"Stronger than dirt! New Ajax laundry detergent is STRONGER THAN DIRT!"

It was the only commercial jingle that also ended up as the final four notes in a Doors song (Touch Me).

AskNott
12-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Bob Catterson was a car dealer in Indianapolis, but he ended up making commercials for dealers all over the the country. Rather than a fast patter, Bob came on the screen alone, talking slowly, forcefully. "If you. don't. have. a Bob Catterson price.......you. don't. have a price. Come to Bob Catterson Buick." Later, he came up with his signature pitch. "Nobody can beat a Bob Catterson price. Nooooooooooooooooooobody!" He never talked about the car, or the service, just his slow, drawn-out pitch. He sold a lot of cars, a lot. of. cars.

pprgrl
12-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Whenever anybody asks me "Why?" I still come back immediately with "Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry!" It's been at least ten years since I've said it to anyone who knew what Bud Dry was.

Hoopy Frood
12-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Nintendo
Two cereals in one! WOW!

Another short lived 80's cereal. I remember that one. The whole jingle was to the tune of the theme of the sewer levels from Super Mario Bros.

IIRC, the whole thing went like this

(Sung) Nintendo!
(Spoken by two kids, with way too much caffeine in them) It's for breakfast now!
(Sung) Nintendo!
(Spoken by the two kids) It's a cereal! Wow!
(Sung) Nintendo!
(Spoken by the two kids) Super Mario jumps!
(Sung) Nintendo!
(Spoken by the two kids) It has fruit flavored crunch!
(Sung) Nintendo!
(Spoken by tthe wo kids) Here's Zelda, too!
(Sung) Nintendo!
(Spoken by the two kids) It's berry good news! [Weren't they clever with the puns?]
(Sung) Nintendo!
(Spoken by the two kids) You just can't lose!
(Sung) Nintendo!
(Spoken by the two kids) Two cereals in one! WOW!!

Though I never tried the stuff, from what I understand, it was pretty awful. It just goes to show that licensing a popular brand will only get you so far if your product is crap.

as_u_wish
12-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Like Hoopy Frood, I remember Crispy Critters. But all I can recall is "The one and only cer-e-al that comes in the shape of an-i-mals."

CalMeacham
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Back when humorist Stan Freberg was doing TV commercials, he made one for Jeno's Pizza Rolls featuring the William Tell Overture "(Have a pizza, pizza, pizza roll!"). at the end of the spot, a cigaret smoking man in a dinner jacket (representing Lark cigarets, which also used the William Tell Overture) begins to challenge the choice of music. He, in turn, is challenged by the Lone Ranger.

And not merely a guy dressed as the Lone Ranger -- it's Clayton Moore, the original Lone Ranger. He's accompanied by Jay Silverheels in the commercial, the original Tonto ("Pizza Roll, Keemosabe?")

The commercial is a direct parody of Lark cigarette's "Show us your Lark Pack" commercial, which featured a truck driving around the city with a sign "Show us your Lark Pack", along with the William tell Ovetture, as you say. But it was the entire concept of the cigarette commercial they were parodying, not just the music).

One of my all-time favorite commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE-NdrzfFOo

LurkMeister
12-13-2007, 09:53 AM
And not merely a guy dressed as the Lone Ranger -- it's Clayton Moore, the original Lone Ranger. He's accompanied by Jay Silverheels in the commercial, the original Tonto ("Pizza Roll, Keemosabe?")

The commercial is a direct parody of Lark cigarette's "Show us your Lark Pack" commercial, which featured a truck driving around the city with a sign "Show us your Lark Pack", along with the William tell Ovetture, as you say. But it was the entire concept of the cigarette commercial they were parodying, not just the music).

One of my all-time favorite commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE-NdrzfFOo
I liked the way Moore does the dismissive handwave when offered the pizza rolls, then Tonto starts shovelling them into his pouch.

And of course they end it with "Who was that masked man?" "I don't know, but I wanted to thank him."

Chefguy
12-13-2007, 04:22 PM
"Mabel! Black Label!"
"Calllllll forrrrrr Philip Morrrisssssss!"

ralph124c
12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Oldsmobile bit the dust in 2004..I can barely remember their old-fasioned jingle:
"We're the gallant men from Olds"-anyone know the jingle?
The Rheingold Beer Ad I remember:
"My beer is Rheingold the dry beer...it's not bitter, not sweet, hits the spot real neat..my beer is Rheingold, the dry beer"!Rheingold was owned by a famous brewer (Col. Jacob Ruppert); sadly the brand died in the early 1970's.
-

Sternvogel
12-13-2007, 05:00 PM
In NE Ohio we have:

Garfield 1 2-3-2-3

Which is the old old old telephone number for [looks it up...] The Home Corporation which does...[looks it up...] "Home Improvements."

Apparently its old name, the Aluminum Siding Corporation, was seen as too limiting. The pitchman I remember from the days of my youth in suburban Cleveland was Jimmy Dudley, (http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/dudleymemorial.html) who had previously been the radio voice of the Indians' baseball broadcasts. "Call now, y'hear?"

NDP
12-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Like Hoopy Frood, I remember Crispy Critters. But all I can recall is "The one and only cer-e-al that comes in the shape of an-i-mals."

And here, courtesy of YouTube, is one of the commercials for said product. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xY7GOC2HlJA)

Beware of Doug
12-14-2007, 05:24 AM
My beer is Rheingold the dry beer. Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer. It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat, won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?Deee dum deee dum deee dum duhdeee
Deee dum deee dum deee dum duhdeee

When you're shopping in the sto-ore
Here's the beer to ask 'em fo-or
Schaefer Pale Dry is its handle
No other beer can hold a candle

Make it clear, make it Schaefer
When you do, you always will
(echo chamber) Make it clearearear (/echo)
Make it Schaefer
Our hand has never lost its skill

Last line sung in an odd, hurried rhythm so it sounded like "A hand has never lost a spill."

Olive, The Other Reindeer
12-14-2007, 07:01 AM
How about?

"Don't cook tonight . . .
. . . call Chicken Delight"

A piece of overcooked chicken, some undercooked fries and a tiny tub of slaw on a paper plate, with another plate stapled over the top.

Don't know what ever happened to them, but the local store disappeared when KFC moved into the neighborhood.

Olive

Chefguy
12-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Call Roto-Rooter, that's the name,
And away go troubles, down the drain.

sunny61
02-06-2010, 09:34 AM
A little late to the thread, but just found it. I can't imagine why or how long these have been in my head:

Get yourself a package of natural goodness
Dorman's Endico cheese
From Wisconsin 100% grade A
Grade A cheese the old fashioned way

Dormans Dormans
Moo moo moo moo moo moo-moo mooooooo
No processing or flavoring
Nothing artificial

Dorman's Endico Cheeeeeeeese!

(the cheese with the paper between the slices!)

sunny61
02-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Or....

It's here it's the beer with only ninety-five calories
and the great imported taste that's just right
It's the first light beer sent to us from Europe
It's here and it's Amstel Light!

sunny61
02-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Or...

Seneca
the first frozen apple juice
enriched with vitamin c
Crisp, delicious Seneca
sweetened naturally
Young and old love Seneca
enriched with vitamin C

or...

Hey Hey
what do ya know
lemons, lemons in the snow
new Pond's Lemon Cold Cream

and, for anyone who grew up in the NYC area in the 60's...

Palisades has the rides
Palisades has the fun
Come on over

Rides and dancing are free
so's the parking, so gee
Come on over

Palisades from coast to coast
where a dime buys the most
Palisades Amusement Park
swings all day and after dark

Ride the coaster get cool
in the waves and the pool
you'll have fun!
So come on over

Can't help but wish there were room in my head for more important things - LOL! :)

HelloKitty
02-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Speaking of beers, here's one I remember from the 70's, Lowenbrau Beer:

Here's to good friends,
Tonight is kind of special.
The beer we'll pour
must say something more, somehow.
So tonight (tonight),
Tonight,
Let it be Löwenbräu (let it be Löwenbräu).

Then there's also:

If there's Libby's Libby's Libby's
On the label label label
You will like it like it like it
On your table table table

AuntiePam
02-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Alka Seltzer, the jaunty:

Plop plop fizz fizz
Oh, what a relief it is!

Hamm's beer:

(Drums doing that western movie "The Indians are attacking!" thing )

DUM da dum dum DUM da dum dum
FROM the land of sky blue waters
Wa-aters
COMES the beer refreshing
HAMM'S the beer refreshing

caligulathegod
02-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Then there's also:

If there's Libby's Libby's Libby's
On the label label label
You will like it like it like it
On your table table table

I still remember as a kid the one from Johnny Carson when President Jimmy Carter's brother Billy Carter got in trouble for (from Wikipedia) "In late 1978 and early 1979, Billy Carter visited Libya three times with a contingent from Georgia. He eventually registered as a foreign agent of the Libyan government and received a $220,000 loan. This led to a Senate hearing over alleged influence peddling which some in the press dubbed "Billygate." A Senate sub-committee was called To Investigate Activities of Individuals Representing Interests of Foreign Governments (Billy Carter-Libya Investigation)."

"With Libya Libya Libya
on the label label label
means I like it like it like it
under the table table table."

Amazing what sticks in the mind 30+ years later from when I was 8-9 years old.

C. Montgomery Burns
02-06-2010, 02:28 PM
LS/MFT! LS/MFT! Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco!
If you want better taste from your cigarette, Lucky Strike is the one to get!
Light up a Lucky, it's light up time, be happy go Lucky, it's light up time! For the taste that you like, light up a Lucky Strike! Relax, it's light up time...

TWDuke
02-06-2010, 02:35 PM
A local auto dealer's "jingle" consisted entirely of driving directions:

"Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Freeway, Firestone Exit, South Gate.
Pete Ellis Doge, Long Beach Freeway, Firestone Exit, South Gate."

Pete Ellis Dodge has been gone for decades, but I can still drive to where it used to be.

davey77
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
FROM the land of sky-blue waters

wa-haw-ters

HAMM'S, the beer refreshing

HAMM'S

Larry Mudd
02-06-2010, 03:52 PM
They were still using this jingle in the 80's, but it didn't really do them any good since everyone remembered the jingle yet there was no way to "call" that number by then.There's some impediment to dialing 421-2323, all of the sudden? Or do you just mean that many people don't know how the mnemonic conventions for telephone exchanges work these days? :p

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
02-06-2010, 03:53 PM
When they added "crazy shapes" to Alpha-Bits (http://theimaginaryworld.com/opost02.jpg) cereal, they had a commercial with a jingle sung to the tune of "The Stars and Stripes Forever," something like:

There are stars and canes and aer-o-planes
A-and all kinds of crazy shaaa-apes!

-

tattman40
02-06-2010, 04:59 PM
This may have been only in the NY/NJ/CT area, but does anyone remember the "Great Bear" radio jingle?

I cant remember all of it,except for..

Gotta fix those brakes. Drive a little slower say a little prayer (cant recall words here) til you get to great bear.

luv2draw
02-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Rickel helps you do it better
Do it better at Rickel

Rickel was a home improvement store in the pre Home Depot days.

Jackmannii
02-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Well, look what emerged from the crypt - and with another allusion to Dorman's Endeco Cheese.

I did a Google search for "zombie" and "cheese" and came up with this site (http://thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan.cgi?word=zombie%20endeco%20cheese).

The results are rather...disturbing. :)

dropzone
02-06-2010, 11:26 PM
The commercial is a direct parody of Lark cigarette's "Show us your Lark Pack" commercialJeno's Pizza Rolls were too damned hot because nobody (and I'm looking at my SIL) took the "ten minutes" seriously. Larks blew, but I'd like one right now.

ralph124c
02-07-2010, 01:49 AM
One that I remember:
Paul Parrott, Paul Parrot, the shoe you ought to buy
They make your feet run faster, as fast as I can fly!
(Paul Parrott was a brand of children's shoes).

Two Many Cats
02-08-2010, 05:08 PM
"Kids are king at Dispensa's Kiddie Kingdom!
Fun's the thing at Dispensa's Kiddie Kingdom!
Exciting rides to make you yell and holler!
Any ride a quarter! Six for a dollar!"

I never went. I was a little too old. Anyone here who did?

Dallas Jones
02-08-2010, 07:33 PM
"You've come a long way, baby, to get where you got to today. You've got your own cigarette now, baby. You've come a long, long way!"

Now fix us a sandwich.

http://www.spike.com/video/virginia-slims-youve/2742153

rolandgunslinger
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Here a favorite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLL67CN2hnw&feature=related) of mine.

Umbriel2
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Philadelphia and South Jersey for many years had commercials for the clothing outlet Ideal Manufacturing (http://www.bakedziti.net/2005/06/ideal-clothing-greatest-jingle-ever.html). They generally ran their commercials in the cheapest possible slots, wee hours of the morning and weekends on UHF stations (for those that remember such things), and ran them in great numbers to sear the catchy jingle into your brain for life.

Sigmagirl
02-09-2010, 08:13 AM
There's some impediment to dialing 421-2323, all of the sudden? Or do you just mean that many people don't know how the mnemonic conventions for telephone exchanges work these days? :p

The latter.
Oh, plus you have to add the area code, which is 216, unless you're in 330- or 440-, in which case you'll have to dial a 1-, depending on your cell plan.

jayjay
02-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Nobody outside the Altoona/Johnstown/State College region in Pennsylvania will ever have heard of this place, but there was a furniture store in Phillipsburg called "Sam's". They had a commercial in the 70s with three mariachi marionettes doing a song about the store. The only part I really remember, but I've carried it through almost 40 years of forgetting everything else, is the very end: "at Saaaaaaaaaaaam's! Phillipsburg!" with the "Phillipsburg" very staccato and quick, contrasting with the long, drawn-out "Sam's".

Don Draper
02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Does anybody remember this?

"You get a whole lot more at the Ground Round,
YOU GET A WHOLE LOT MORE!"

Snickers
02-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Soft Whip is soft and creamy too,
Soft Whip yogurt is the one for you.

Soft Whip has been gone for years, but I used to pack it in my sack lunch for grade school every day. I think it was made by Old Dutch or something.

This company is still around, but I haven't heard the jingle in a while:

Rattle rattle thunder clatter boom boom boom
Don't worry, call the CarX man!

Ferd Burfel
02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
meow, meow, meow, meow
meow, meow, meow, meow
meow, meow, meow, meow
meow, meow, meow, meow

meow, meow, meow, meow
meow, meow, meow, meow
me-ow ... me-ow ... me-ow

And, if you lived in the greater Dayton Ohio area ....

B-H-A means Better Home Appliances
Better Home Appliances
Better Home Appliances

B-H-A means Better Home Appliances
Bet-ter Home Appli - ance Store!

B-H-A!

SirRay
02-09-2010, 12:34 PM
This may have been only in the NY/NJ/CT area, but does anyone remember the "Great Bear" radio jingle?

I cant remember all of it,except for..

Gotta fix those brakes. Drive a little slower say a little prayer (cant recall words here) til you get to great bear.
I think it was
"You're driving down the road in the dead of night
When up ahead is a terrible sight
You hit the brakes, but they're not all there
And you miss this one by only a hair"
And it ended "Great Shocks, Great Brakes, Great Bear" - so maybe they had 2 jingles
Lets add to this Zombie:
"You start to live, when you learn to drive"
"You start to have fun, when you used to have none"

And this
"226-0841 = the honeymoon hotline, for honey-moon fun"
(Google indicates that one was Pocono Gardens lodge - and I did get the phone number right without googling first!)

And ...I didn't see this one either in 2007 or today, but it sort of lives on in Seinfeld:
"Nobody beats the Wiz - nobody beats the Wiz"

slitterst
02-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Though the cereal was around during the 60's and early 70's originally (way before my time), Post released a version in the 80's:

I was going to post about the 60's version.

The one and only cereal
that comes in the shape of animals.

With moose, the color of orange.

B&W Ad here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN3WCnBAdrc)

astorian
02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
"The most rewaaaarding flavor in this man's world,
For people who are having fun.

Schaefer... is the... one beer to have,
When you're having more than one.'

astorian
02-09-2010, 01:54 PM
"Palisades Amusement Park,
Swings all day and after dark.

Ride the coaster, get cool
In the waves of the pool.
You'll have fun... so come on overrrrrr."

astorian
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Oh, and I was 6 years old when my parents drove me and my brothers from New York City to Montreal for Expo '67. Almost 43 years later, I can still hear their promotional jingle...

"Hey friend, say friend... come on over!
Looking for happiness? This is the plaaaace..."

astorian
02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Are Funny Face fruit drinks defunct? I remember...

"Goofy Grape (hoo hoo hoo hoo ho hoo)!
Injun Orange!
Freckle-Face Strawberryyyyy!
Chinese Cherry! (Gong!)
LOUDMOUTH LIME!
Rootin' Tootin Raspberry, YAHOO!"

Yeah, just a BIT racist in a few places. I seem to recall they changed the names to "Jolly Ollie Orange" and "ChooChoo Cherry" after receiving a lot of complaints.

Zsofia
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
In NE Ohio we have:

Garfield 1 2-3-2-3

They were still using this jingle in the 80's, but it didn't really do them any good since everyone remembered the jingle yet there was no way to "call" that number by then.

But alas, it seems like they were saved by the Internet. Now we can "call" www.garfield12323.com and find out what the heck they do.
You can still call Pennsylvania 6-5000 and get the Pennsylvania Hotel in New York, although you do now need the area code as well.

ralph124c
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
In Boston, there was a carpet cleaning company that used the following jingle:
"How do you keep your carpets neat?..call ANdrew8-8 thousand..
How many cookies did Andrew eat?..Andrew ate 8 thousand"

ep42
04-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Anyone remember this one for Schaefer beer? It goes something like this:

Schaefer
is the
one beer to have
when you having more than one

Schaefer
pleasure
doesn't fade
even when you're thirst is done

The most rewarding flavor (?) pleasure (?)
in this man's world
is when you're having more than one (?) people who are having fun (?)

Schaefer
is the
one beer to have
when you having more than one!!!!

Invisible Chimp
04-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Lotto America:

Life can be a holiday
When you win 10 million or more
Life won't be a boooooooooooooore
Play Lotto America
And you could win a holiday for life!

Lotto America morphed into the present day Powerball.

georgewinter
01-12-2011, 09:11 AM
I think it was
"You're driving down the road in the dead of night
When up ahead is a terrible sight
You hit the brakes, but they're not all there
And you miss this one by only a hair"
And it ended "Great Shocks, Great Brakes, Great Bear" - so maybe they had 2 jingles
Lets add to this Zombie:
"You start to live, when you learn to drive"
"You start to have fun, when you used to have none"

And this
"226-0841 = the honeymoon hotline, for honey-moon fun"
(Google indicates that one was Pocono Gardens lodge - and I did get the phone number right without googling first!)

And ...I didn't see this one either in 2007 or today, but it sort of lives on in Seinfeld:
"Nobody beats the Wiz - nobody beats the Wiz"

"you're driving down the highway in the dead of night...when up ahead is a terrible sight...so you hit the brakes and they're not all there....and you miss this one by only a hair...you drive away, but your hands still shake, and you say to yourself...gonna fix them brakes. You drive a little slow and you take a little care...won't happen again till you get to Great Bear"

kath94
01-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Pete Ellis Dodge has been gone for decades, but I can still drive to where it used to be.

This was the one with the bouncing ball! I remember it, too!

Blisters
01-12-2011, 06:26 PM

or if you lived in the Bay Area instead of Southern California

Pete Ellis Dodge, 1095 West El Camino Real, Sunnyvale!

MORE of an earworm, even thirty odd years later was Cal Worthington (and his dog Spot... )

If you want a car or truck go see Cal
If you want to save a buck go see Cal
If you want your payments low and you want to save some dough GO SEE CAL GO SEE CAL GO SEE CAL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsLdT4slsk

Noel Prosequi
01-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Great 70s ad in Oz was for Uncle Sam spray-on unisex deodorant. Upbeat jingle to the lyrics (from memory):

You need Uncle Sam, you need Uncle Sam
Let's get together with the Stars and Stripes can!

The perfect protection for fellas and girls,
And under your arm is the top of the world!

Larry Mudd
01-12-2011, 10:18 PM
MORE of an earworm, even thirty odd years later was Cal Worthington (and his dog Spot... )Hammered into my head, of course.

I often think of a 70s-era jingle for another dealer: Dick Irwin, what a great, great guy! Seems it made an impression on this guy (http://www.grahameagle.com/artlg.php?xyz=20&uvw=28&stuno=2&shwdesc=1), too. Or, he accepted the commission.

M60TankDriver
07-31-2011, 08:23 PM
1977 Bordens Cheese commercial with a mixed chorus:
Borden, the dairy best -- let's us say "cheese".
Fresh, tasty, delicious -- Borden says "cheese"!
(accompanied by the sound of a camera shutter clicking)
[then an instrumental interlude with the voice over]
Fresh, tasty, delicious -- Borden says "cheese"! (three shutter clicks)

The version I remember best aired right after Inauguration Day (1/20/77) and featured a family outside on a hilltop, at a big table sitting down to lunch, and the guy at the head of the table looked suspiciously like newly inaugurated President Jimmy Carter!

Also from the late Seventies was the Kahn's Bacon jingle. Announcer would say, "And now, the Kahn's Kids!" and a kiddie chorus would sing:
Oh Kahn's, oh Kahn's, oh Kahn's.
Kahn's hickory smoked bacon is the bacon that we eat.
And cured for eight weeks(?or something like that) the flavor can't be beat.
[instrumental interlude with voice over]
Three cheers for Kahn's.....oh, Kahn's.

About 1973-74 American Motors Corp. had a campaign with a jazzy jingle with mixed chorus:
See.....AMC....if you want.....economy!
Nothing else can come near.
The first "big small car" is here.
[instrumental interlude for voice over}
So, See, come and see, AMC.

Then in 1984-85 came Sunmaid Fruit's "Sunmaid, You Made My Day" campaign, with a real bouncy jingle and mixed chorus:
Sunmaid Fruit, so sweet and flavorful
Just right and great that way
Rich, delicious, sweet and flavorful...
"Sunmaid, you made my day!"

M60TankDriver
07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Yep, I remember the Pete Ellis Dodge jingle. Another oldie drilled into my head was for Dial Chevrolet, featuring a woman vocalist in a real sing-song cadence (and accompanied by an accordian):
"Dial, Dial, Dial Chevrolet"
"Two blocks off the Santa Ana Freeway"
"11980 East Firestone"
"Dial Chevrolet!"
Sounded like it was originally from the Fifties, but I think they were still using it into the Eighties!

dangermom
07-31-2011, 09:12 PM
MORE of an earworm, even thirty odd years later was Cal Worthington (and his dog Spot... )

If you want a car or truck go see Cal
If you want to save a buck go see Cal
If you want your payments low and you want to save some dough GO SEE CAL GO SEE CAL GO SEE CAL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsLdT4slsk

Cal lives around here someplace.

I can still sing those dang jingles--"If your tailpipe is a-draggin and your wife she is a-naggin, go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal!"

As a kid I was always a bit confused, since the dog Spot was a cow, or an elephant or something.

Then there was "Carpeteria, Carpeteeeeriaaaa..." the mascot was a sort of carpet genie but I thought he was a giant.

M60TankDriver
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
More info on the classic AMC jingle of the early/mid-1970's. Turns out it was recorded by the Ron Hicklin Singers, and a brief excerpt can be heard on a You Tube video! ("Ron Hicklin Singers Demo -- TM Productions -- 1974"; it's at 0:10 time-frame). In fact, the whole video is worth checking out -- it's filled with excerpts from quite a few memorable commercial jingles they did (IHOP, Kawasaki, Datsun,etc).

Turns out the Ron Hicklin Singers have an amazing resume, backing up a large list of recording artists (incl The Monkees, Cher, Paul Revere & the Raiders, etc), and providing the voices of the Partridge Family (except, of course, lead singer David Cassidy). They recorded the version of "Love, American Style" theme song heard from seasons 2 onward (The Cowsills version was used only for season one), and were billed as "The Charles Fox Singers" (Charles Fox did all the music for "Love American Style"). Several members of The Ron Hicklin Singers formed the nucleus of the Sixties flower-power/"feel good" rock group The Love Generation (biggest hit: 1967's "Groovy Summertime").

Annie-Xmas
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
The McDonald's Big Mac jingle only aired for a year and a half and went off the air in 1976. But I betcha everyone who was around then remembers "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion on a sesame bun."

TreacherousCretin
10-06-2011, 07:53 PM
- Me too re Ipana Toothpaste. Bucky Beaver representing.

- Brylcreem: I remember the line as "The Gals'll all pursue ya"

- Fill'er up, ding, ding,
fill'er up, ding, ding,
and you'll save with Douglas Gasoline.

- Give him Doctor Ross Dog Food
and do him a favor.
It's got more meat and
it's got more flavor.
It's got more meat to
make him feel the way he should,
Doctor Ross Dog Food is dog-gone good. Woof!

-

Ponch8
10-06-2011, 08:19 PM
"Smurf Berry Crunch is fun to eat" (a cereal jingle set to the melody of a piece from the Nutcracker Suite)

Now whenever I hear the melody, the jingle automatically starts playing in my head. :(

bevdee
05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
a little bit of a tangent, but whenever I am in a boardroom with a bunch of people in front of their laptops, I think we should be playing battleship "F7" "You sunk my battleship!"

digs
05-30-2012, 02:43 PM
a little bit of a tangent, but whenever I am in a boardroom with a bunch of people in front of their laptops, I think we should be playing battleship "F7" "You sunk my battleship!"

In a coffee joint. We're all watching two Yuppie Wannabees with their Hipster Notebook Laptops typing, looking up, saying a few words, back to furious typing, looking up. So of course I said "He hasn't sunk your battleship yet?"

M60TankDriver
09-26-2012, 11:16 PM
I recall during the 1970's the Cormier Chevrolet (I believe it was in Carson, CA) jingle, which was country-music sounding. "If you think you'd like a hand, in buying a Chevy today. Come on down to discount land -- Cormier Chevrolet). Does anyone know if Cormier is still around?

M60TankDriver
09-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Aside from Cal Worthington, some other dealerships I can recall off the top of my head were Ralph Williams Chrysler (w/ Chick Lambert), Bob Spreen Cadillac ("Where the freeways meet in Downey"), Snow Ford, Dial Chevrolet, Walker-Buerge Ford, Claude Short Dodge, Morrie Sage Datsun (in Universal City), Felix Chevrolet (with statues of Felix the Cat around the lot).

terentii
09-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Not being a smoker, I don't know if these are still being made, but the title immediately made me think of Roi-Tan cigars. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOWvd7vrSW0)

I always wanted to do a parody of this for Wotan Cigars, in which a Viking ship rams a peasant's little fishing boat.

Remember this one?

Tijuana Smalls.
Things that you do, baby.
For you? Maybe.
You know who you are.
It's a little cigar!

terentii
09-26-2012, 11:47 PM
It's all coming back to me now:

Thin and mild.
Tobacco that's aged like wine.
Thin and mild.
And you who you are-are-are-are.

Tijuana Smalls.
Things that you do, baby.
For you? Maybe.
You know who you are.
It's a little cigar!

terentii
09-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Just remembered this one, ca. 1966, when it was still cool to be patriotic about Vietnam:

The youth of America
Is fighting for you!
Buy Bonds where you bank or where you work,
THEY do!
And follow the Eagle,
The red-white-and-blue Eagle.
Buy a share in Freedom,
US Savings Bonds!

terentii
09-26-2012, 11:59 PM
From the same time period:

They took the blue from the skies
And the pretty girls' eyes,
And a touch of Old Glory too.
And gave it to the men
Who proudly wear
The US Air Force blue!
The US Air Force blue!

terentii
09-27-2012, 12:03 AM
And you who you are-are-are-are.

And you know who you are-are-are-are. :smack:

ralph124c
09-27-2012, 06:24 AM
I forget the name of the dry cleaning/carpet cleaning establishment (Boston):
"How do yo keep your carpets neat..cal ANdrew 8-8000..how many cookies did Andrew eat..Andrew ate eight thousand".

Mr. Miskatonic
09-27-2012, 06:59 AM
"Silo is having a sale!" "A what?" " A sale!"

ralph124c
09-27-2012, 07:33 AM
For Florida Dopers..does "Tire Kingdom" still have that guy who tells you how he's gonna die (unless he sells 5 million tires)?

Freddy the Pig
09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
"Kids are king at Dispensa's Kiddie Kingdom!
Fun's the thing at Dispensa's Kiddie Kingdom!
Exciting rides to make you yell and holler!
Any ride a quarter! Six for a dollar!"

I never went. I was a little too old. Anyone here who did?Dispensa's Castle of Toys, (It's a castle!)
Dispensa's Castle of Toys, (It's a toy store!)
Dispensa'a Castle of Toys, (It's toy-rific!)
Come to Dispensa's Castle of Toys
Oakbrook Terrace, in Illinois!

Alas, I was also too old.

Tijuana Smalls.
Things that you do, baby.Ah yes, the glory days of "little cigars", during the window when you could advertise them after cigarettes were taken off TV. Tijuana Smalls--Ride that aeromatic aeroplane! Should a gentleman offer a Tiparillo to his lady? New Back Woods Smoke--how can anything that looks so wild taste so mild? (With video of cowboy roping women in Manhattan.)

gwendee
09-27-2012, 11:24 AM
For the rest of the day, I'm going to have the image of Fidel driving around in a convertible, cigar clenched in his teeth, waving his military cap in a carefree manner to the cheering multitudes.

With Bernadette jumping on the back seat?

I could sing you jingles for the rest of the day without repeating myself. The first one I thought of was:

Extra value is what you get, when you buy Coronet

SCAdian
09-27-2012, 10:20 PM
"A silly millimeter longer -
One-Oh-One!"
(101 Cigarettes)

"Small, teeny, tiny, itsy-bitsy, wee, small.
It's teeny -
The new Bikini Comb"

"Bit-O-Peanut Butter
New sandwich candy bar.
Like Bit-O-Honey,
It goes real far!"

"Yummy, yummy
Digga, digga bowlful
You catchum big, big flavour
Oceans of energy!"
(Kellogg's Puffa Puffa Rice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df84S6yxck8), beginning at 0:30)

"New Country Corn Flakes
New Country Corn Flakes
They won't wilt
When you pour on milk"
(Post Country Corn Flakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKSmj2g8shs))

"Build 'em up and knock 'em down
You can build a wall with
Flintstone Building Boulders by Kenner."

"If you don't (I do!) like peanuts,
Don't get new Kellogg's triple Snack!
Triple Snack is right for me,
And I am right for Triple Snack!"

Mostly, though, I have old commercials for still-extant products:

"Happiness is
The taste of Kent!
More taste, fine tobacco
That's what happiness is!"

"It's got stars, diamonds, moons, rings, aeroplanes
And all kinds of crazy shapes!"
(Jets cereal - to the tune of The Stars and Stripes Forever)

"I'm glad I'm not an Oscar Meyer wiener
That is what I'd never want to be!
'Cause if I were an Oscar Meyer wiener,
Soon there would be nothing left of me!"

"Ay, ay, ay, ay
I am the Frito bandito!
I love Fritos corn chips
I love them, I do!
I love Fritos corn chips,
I take them from you!"

DrDeth
09-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Dont cook tonite- call Chicken Delite!

Say the Magic words, say Mission Pak and it's on its merry way! No gift so bright, so gay, so right, give the Mission Pak magic way!

You sent your relative oranges. Seriously.:eek: A regular box of California oranges. And it was a gift most appreciated by those in the northern climes.

ralph124c
09-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Is "Ipana" toothpaste still made?

CalMeacham
09-28-2012, 07:56 AM

I looked this up earlier this week, and was surprised that Ipana, which I thought had disappeared in the early 1960s, was actually still beuing sold elsewhere in the world. It is still marketed in those places, including Canada. According to Wikipedia, it was re-introduced in the US in 2005, but I never saw it.

I remember Bucky Beaver and the "brusha-brusha" theme, but didn't realize that Disney was responsible for the marketing, or that Jimmy Dodd (the #1 Mouseketeer, and author of many Mickey Mouse Club songs, and virtually running the MMC) not only wrote the Ipana song, but samng it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipana

terentii
09-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Call Roto-Rooter,
that's the name,
and away go troubles
down the drain!
Roto-Rooter!

terentii
09-28-2012, 01:28 PM
You can take Salem out of the country
BUT
you can't take the country out of Salem!

SCAdian
09-28-2012, 02:31 PM
The McDonald's Big Mac jingle only aired for a year and a half and went off the air in 1976. But I betcha everyone who was around then remembers "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion on a sesame bun."

I remember the words, but not the associated jingle (I assume there was one, anyway.) What I remember better are BK commercials from the '60s:

"It takes two hands to handle a Whopper>"

"The bigger the burger, the better the burger.
The burgers are better at Burger King!"

SCAdian
09-28-2012, 02:33 PM

I looked this up earlier this week, and was surprised that Ipana, which I thought had disappeared in the early 1960s, was actually still beuing sold elsewhere in the world. It is still marketed in those places, including Canada. According to Wikipedia, it was re-introduced in the US in 2005, but I never saw it.

I remember Bucky Beaver and the "brusha-brusha" theme, but didn't realize that Disney was responsible for the marketing, or that Jimmy Dodd (the #1 Mouseketeer, and author of many Mickey Mouse Club songs, and virtually running the MMC) not only wrote the Ipana song, but samng it.

I remember Ipana, but not the commercials for it. The main thing it brings to mind is that scene from Blast from the Past, where the girl and the other guy are searching Brendan Fraser's hotel room for a clue as to where he might have gone.

freckafree
09-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Call Roto-Rooter,
that's the name,
and away go troubles
down the drain!
Roto-Rooter!

Our local franchise still uses that jingle. Of course, whenever I hear it, I think, "Tired of the steady drip, drip, drip of gonorrhea?"

Infovore
09-28-2012, 02:42 PM
"Hey, Mister Tally-Man, tally me banana,
Bic Banana markers, you gotta get some!
Come in an 1-pack, 8-pack, 20-pack,
Bic Banana markers for the office or home!
We got a color for you!
Bic Banana markers, you gotta get some!"

ralph124c
09-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Did Ford's doomed "Edsel" model car ever have an advertising jingle? None of the books I have read about the Edsel debacle mentioned one.

thegameshowguy
05-07-2013, 10:18 PM
A little late to the thread, but just found it. I can't imagine why or how long these have been in my head:

Dorman's Endico cheese
From Wisconsin 100% grade A
Grade A cheese the old fashioned way

Dormans Dormans
Moo moo moo moo moo moo-moo mooooooo
No processing or flavoring
Nothing artificial

Dorman's Endico Cheeeeeeeese!

(the cheese with the paper between the slices!)

Those cool singing cows ... I wish this ad would surface online!

Ponch8
05-08-2013, 01:31 PM
I remember Ipana, but not the commercials for it. The main thing it brings to mind is that scene from Blast from the Past, where the girl and the other guy are searching Brendan Fraser's hotel room for a clue as to where he might have gone.

I know of Ipana only because they showed the Ipana beaver commercial in Grease.

M60TankDriver
07-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Just remembered this one, ca. 1966, when it was still cool to be patriotic about Vietnam:

The youth of America
Is fighting for you!
Buy Bonds where you bank or where you work,
THEY do!
And follow the Eagle,
The red-white-and-blue Eagle.
Buy a share in Freedom,
US Savings Bonds!

Yes, I remember that commercial well, and can still hum the melody! If I recall, it showed actual clips of combat action in Vietnam, such as helicopter gunships and the like.

Enola Straight
07-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Philadelphia and South Jersey for many years had commercials for the clothing outlet Ideal Manufacturing (http://www.bakedziti.net/2005/06/ideal-clothing-greatest-jingle-ever.html). They generally ran their commercials in the cheapest possible slots, wee hours of the morning and weekends on UHF stations (for those that remember such things), and ran them in great numbers to sear the catchy jingle into your brain for life.

IDEAL's still around
http://www.idealclothing.net/

Here's the infamous jingle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQFlkK9nYYs

M60TankDriver
08-21-2013, 12:27 AM
From the same time period:

They took the blue from the skies
And the pretty girls' eyes,
And a touch of Old Glory too.
And gave it to the men
Who proudly wear
The US Air Force blue!
The US Air Force blue!

Terentii-- this song has an interesting history; it's was written about 1956 for a USAF recruiting drive, and became popular due to it's release by the Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus. My father, who was in the Air Force at the time, remembered some effort by the "Brass" in Washington to replace the familiar "US Air Force Song" ("Off we go into the wild blue yonder...") with "Air Force Blue" as the USAF's "official" song. He remembered some polls or something being conducted among various Air Force personnel, but the results were "hands down" that they wanted to retain the old "Air Force Song" ("Wild Blue Yonder"). He said he did remember hearing "Air Force Blue" at times, and that over the years it DID became something of a "second theme" for the USAF. I think most old Airmen felt like my Dad, however -- that nothing could every come close to the "US Air Force Song" ("Wild Blue Yonder"). In fact, my Dad went back far enough to remember when it was the "Army Air Corps Song", then the "Army Air Force Song"! At any rate, if I recall correctly, "Air Force Blue" was used again during the 1960's on Air Force recruiting commercials.... that might be the time you picked up on it?

terentii
08-21-2013, 12:54 AM
At any rate, if I recall correctly, "Air Force Blue" was used again during the 1960's on Air Force recruiting commercials.... that might be the time you picked up on it?

That's right, late '60s or early '70s. I think my brother was in the AF at the time (1968--72).

They were still doing the original "High Flight" around that time, as I recall (the one with the F-104).

terentii
08-21-2013, 01:00 AM
"It takes two hands to handle a Whopper"

"The bigger the burger, the better the burger.
The burgers are better at Burger King!"

I always had my own interpretation of the first jingle (and yes, I was in fifth or sixth grade at the time).* :rolleyes:

IIRC, the last line of the second was "The burgers are bigger at Burger King!"

*A friend of mine claimed to have Burger King shorts, "Home of the Whopper." :D

meecepeece
01-09-2014, 12:03 PM
I grew up in the 80 s& early 90 s and there were a ton of awesome cereals. Nerds cereal with the box looking just like the candy one side Cherry one side Orange& two separate openings! But the Jingle I recall is for Smurfberry Crunch which was very tasty- Smurfberry crunch is fun to eat! A fruity smurfy breakfast treat. Made by Smurfs so happily, it tastes like crunchy smurfberries! Its berry shaped& crispy too its berry red & smurfy blue. Sung to the tune of the Nutcracker, and the cereal sort of resembled captain crunch berries with blue berry pieces also. The other one I recall is for Too T Fruits chewy fruit leather stick type snacks, with 2 flavors one in the middle& one around it. Too too too too T fruits too too too T fruits too too too t fruits too too... In a rhythm while the fruit sticks danced in a line all over the house.

meecepeece
01-09-2014, 12:15 PM
The Bucky Beaver Ipana ad from the 60 s can clearly be seen and heard in the movie Grease also during the Slumber Party Scene

meecepeece
01-09-2014, 12:20 PM

I was born in 1975 and wasnt old enough in 76 to recall this, so it must have either been replayed in the 80 s or the Jingle was re used in an 80 s ad? Because I know this jingle well and heard it every day after school on a big mac commercial that aired when I was way older than one year. I think I was maybe around 8

meecepeece
01-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Soft Whip is soft and creamy too,
Soft Whip yogurt is the one for you.

Soft Whip has been gone for years, but I used to pack it in my sack lunch for grade school every day. I think it was made by Old Dutch or something.

This company is still around, but I haven't heard the jingle in a while:

Rattle rattle thunder clatter boom boom boom
Don't worry, call the CarX man!

I remember the soft whip yogurt ad as being Soft whip its yogurt fun for you! Soft whip is soft and creamy too. Soft whip is the one for you its red and blue and yellow too. Or to that extent, listing colors instead of the flavor it wouldve represented.

SCAdian
01-09-2014, 02:55 PM
1966 -

If you don't (I do!) like peanuts,
Don't get new Kellogg's Triple Snack.
And I am right for Triple Snack.

Uncle Jocko
01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
1966 -

If you don't (I do!) like peanuts,
Don't get new Kellogg's Triple Snack.
And I am right for Triple Snack.

Oh, the dangers of a zombie thread being revived ... when you discover you have ninja'd yourself. (See post 127)