PDA

View Full Version : Do Adam & Jamie (from Mythbusters) get on that well?

Martini Enfield
05-04-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm quite fond of Mythbusters (one of my never-to-be-fufilled ambitions in life is to appear on the show in some sort of firearms expert capacity), and it's one of the few TV shows that I'll make time to sit down and watch when it's on.

One of the things I've wondered, though, is whether Adam & Jamie get along that well off-camera? I know they run M5 Industries together, but I'm assistant manager at a store full of people I certainly don't see socially, so I don't think that counts for a lot.

I certainly get the impression that the two of them aren't heading down to the pub for a few drinks together after shooting wraps on an episode, and while the rest of the team there all seem to work pretty well together I just get a faint vibe of annoyance from Jamie towards Adam, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

Surely I'm not the only one who's wondered about this?

Szlater
05-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I know they run M5 Industries together

They don't.

Jamie owns M5; Adam, before Mythbusters, worked for him.

Simplicio
05-04-2008, 08:16 AM
and while the rest of the team there all seem to work pretty well together I just get a faint vibe of annoyance from Jamie towards Adam, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

Surely I'm not the only one who's wondered about this?

I get the same vibe, but I'm pretty sure its a scthick. Jamie is the serious one, and Adam is the goofball, so straight-man is always vaguely annoyed and exhausted by goof-balls antics.

GuanoLad
05-04-2008, 08:27 AM
In an interview with Adam I read somewhere, he admitted he'd never visited Jamie's home for any reason; the implication being Jamie keeps his private life private.

I'm sure their families know each other well enough, but that one aspect says a lot about their relationship, I think; that they are close work colleagues more than friends.

Ferret Herder
05-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I read a comment (sorry, no link; I don't recall where it was) about the show and its continuing popularity in which Jamie answers some questions, and he says that one "myth" about the show is that he and Adam are best friends. I got the impression that it's much like the show in that they get along but Adam bugs the hell out of him sometimes.

Szlater
05-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I got the impression that it's much like the show in that they get along but Adam bugs the hell out of him sometimes.

There was one episode where Jamie went ballistic over the mess Adam had made in the workshop. He acted like a proper pissed-off boss rather than an annoyed friend.

Acsenray
05-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I just wanted to say that the title completely confused me.

Thinking: What well? What were they doing with a well? Blowing it up?

Thinking: How you you "get on" a well? It's a hole in the ground!
:D

Acid Lamp
05-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I can't speak for Jamie and Adam, but having worked in the same field as a effects sculptor, I can tell you that it's a common attitude among artists not to be "friends". Creative people tend to be rather big personalities, and that often causes snafus. I'm about 75% Adam, 25% Jamie, and when I get on a roll, I tend to ignore both rules, and common courtesy. I KNOW I do it, but I'm completely swept up in the "EUREKA!" moment. This does work out well with employers who like to keep a neat and organized shop.

WF Tomba
05-04-2008, 11:28 AM
If you think about the amount of time they must end up spending together just to do the show, they'd have to be real bosom buddies to want to see each other in addition to that.

Evil Captor
05-04-2008, 11:57 AM
The impression I get of Jamie is that he is a person who is easily annoyed by others, but has enough understanding to not let this become a problem for him. This is not true of all people who own companies.

Nonsuch
05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I think they get along fine as coworkers, and have a great deal of respect for each other, even if Jamie thinks Adam can be a careless doofus and Adam thinks Jamie is an overbearing control freak. I think the incidence of TV stars being chummy both on and off screen is fairly rare.

Frazzled
05-04-2008, 01:33 PM
The second page of this article in the New York Times answers the question:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/21/science/21myth.html

According to Jamie, they don't like each other.

HeyHomie
05-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Not directly related to Adam & Jamie, but...

I read Joseph Hannah's (or maybe it was Will Barbera's) autobiography, and the subject of friendship came up. Basically, he stated that they were collaborators and co-workers inside their offices, but outside of their offices they were basically strangers. They never hung out together, knew only superficially of each others' families, and didn't know each other on any level that transcended what was necessary to get the job done.

Seems like this might be true of a lot of pairs of people who work closely together. IIRC, Laurel & Hardy and Abott & Costello weren't friends with each other outside of work.

friedo
05-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Seems like this might be true of a lot of pairs of people who work closely together. IIRC, Laurel & Hardy and Abott & Costello weren't friends with each other outside of work.

Same with Penn & Teller, according to some interview I read ages ago.

Justin_Bailey
05-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I think the incidence of TV stars being chummy both on and off screen is fairly rare.

I think a few high profile exceptions to that have convinced people it's always true:

* The "Friends" were all friends in real life
* Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. And then...
* All of Kevin Smith's movies feature whole groups of his friends
* George Clooney and Brad Pitt are good buddies and they were in the Ocean's movies
* The That 70s Show group were all friends except for Eric

gallows fodder
05-04-2008, 06:25 PM
The second page of this article in the New York Times answers the question:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/21/science/21myth.html

According to Jamie, they don't like each other.
Hmmm, maybe he was in a grumpy mood when he gave that interview, because in other interviews (like this one (http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/mythbusters_jamie_hyneman_and)) they seem to get along all right.

Nonsuch
05-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm also reminded of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, whose normal working relationship -- getting along perfectly well on the job, then going off to their own lives when work is over -- was always caricatured as barely-contained hatred.

pepperlandgirl
05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Same with Penn & Teller, according to some interview I read ages ago.

I just went and saw them at the Rio last night. You can buy a program for $5, and inside, there's a "Penn on Teller" biography and a "Teller on Penn" biography. Having read them both, they seem to practically be soulmates. Penn did say that he doesn't see Teller outside of work, and they don't "hang out" together, and in the very next sentence, adds "But we're working all the time." The implication being that they don't really need to "hang out" as friends because when they're together, they're working on the show (one of the 3 rules of their relationship is that the show always comes first).

Intravenus De Milo
05-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I think a few high profile exceptions to that have convinced people it's always true:

* George Clooney and Brad Pitt are good buddies and they were in the Ocean's movies
* The That 70s Show group were all friends except for Eric
Whenever I see the same actors doing multiple movies or whatnot with each other, I have to assume that they at least respect and admire one another on a professional level. The example that popped into my mind is all of the Christopher Guest ensemble comedies. There are several recurring actors in these, and especially given that these films are improv-heavy, the actors must have good chemistry or I would think the concept would not work multiple times. Whether or not they are chummy off-stage, I don't know, but as a few people here have pointed out, just how much time do these folks spend off-stage anyway? It's understandable that they'd get a fair amount of socializing or whatnot in while working and wouldn't really need to stretch out more quality time with their colleagues.

As for the Mythbusters, I've always seen them as pretty much an "Odd Couple" situation, where their common ground is in their profession and not in their personalities. And that's fine, I had several people in my major in college whom I very much enjoyed working with in classes and on projects, but did not necessarily hang out with on the weekends. Having separate social spheres isn't the same as not getting along with someone.

Now the dynamic that I *REALLY* don't understand is on American Chopper. Do these guys really come close to completely melting down all the time, or is it just staged for dramatic effect?

Jonathan Chance
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM

I'll toss another example into the mix in the guys in Rush. They've been playing together for almost 35 years (!) and enjoy doing so. But when they're not working they're totally separate people. They stay in touch but it's not a 'best friends' kind of thing. Hell, one of them (Peart) lives in another country than the other two. And when they're at the initial stages of writing an album they're all HOME. It's not until they have some rough idea of where they're going that the get together in a studio.

Martini Enfield
05-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I just went and saw them at the Rio last night. You can buy a program for $5, and inside, there's a "Penn on Teller" biography and a "Teller on Penn" biography. Having read them both, they seem to practically be soulmates. Penn did say that he doesn't see Teller outside of work, and they don't "hang out" together, and in the very next sentence, adds "But we're working all the time." The implication being that they don't really need to "hang out" as friends because when they're together, they're working on the show (one of the 3 rules of their relationship is that the show always comes first).

The other thing the programme seems to mention is that Penn & Teller became best mates before starting their double act together; they didn't get paired up by a producer or whatever and then become good friends as a result of working together.

Chimera
05-04-2008, 10:13 PM
One of the things I've never completely understood (being somewhat socially retarted and all) is how people can work with others for 40-60 hours a week, then willingly hang out with those same people for even larger chunks of the week.

I mean, I can be friends with people I work with, I can see them outside of work on occasion (once or twice a month being good), but I generally feel that I don't want to socialize with the same people I work with for a variety of reasons.

On the other side, I can detest the hell out of someone, but still work effectively with them. There is no requirement to "be friends" or even "like" the people we work with!

Hence, I wouldn't be surprised that they don't get along all that well and that they don't hang out together after the show.

And on the subject of "Adam used to work for Jamie", it makes sense that after years of putting up with that kind of boss, he might be a bit more free with his words and his actions, since he's no longer an employee, but a co-star. That sort of thing might bug the hell out of someone like Jamie, but tough shit.

Meeko
05-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Just to add on here:

Same for Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Fred and Ethel Mertz - I Love Lucy) They HATED each other and would not even talk to each other unless it was on film.

I don't have the exact cite, but its repeated enough times in the Bathroom Reader books.

Also, on Mythbusters, I pick up the same vibe. Itunes had a free episode of Myth busters, I think it was related to their third Season... that tackled a bunch of behind the scenes stuff. I believe this exact question was tackled, and both weighed in, on camera, for the special episode.

RickJay
05-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Abbott and Costello had some problems, but they've been a bit overblown. Laurel and Hardy, however, were terrific friends their whole lives. When Hardy died, it devastated Laurel, and he never acted again, despite being asked to. He wouldn't even do walk-ons.

commasense
05-05-2008, 02:00 AM
I've met both Adam and Jamie (although notably, not together), and Penn and Teller, too.

Adam and Jamie are pretty much as you see them on the show. They are not putting on personalities. Adam is great fun to be with, a real "life of the party" type guy, and although I had a great time in the few hours I spent drinking with him* (and Skeptic magazine editor Michael Shermer and the lovely Kari Byron) a couple years ago, I can imagine that some people might find him tiresome after a while.

I think Jamie is that type of person. He's serious, reserved, and although I wouldn't necessarily use the term "control freak," you can tell he likes having things (like his clothes and his shop) "just so." He's a much more private person, and doesn't have the same need for attention and an audience that Adam thrives on.

However, I did get the strong impression that both men respect each other professionally.

ISTR reading in some article about the creation of the show that when the Australian producer approached Jamie for a host of the show, he didn't see himself as right for the job, and recommended Adam as someone who would enjoy being in the spotlight. But the producer liked the "odd couple" relationship between the two, and persuaded Jamie to sign up, too.

However, I've gotten the sense (just from watching) that as time goes on, Adam is still having a good time doing the show, but Jamie is enjoying it less.

As for Penn and Teller, I saw them perform separately at a Renaissance festival in the 1970s before they were Penn & Teller. Penn did a comedy juggling act and Teller was a silent magician. Since then I've seen them perform (together) at least a dozen times, and have met them after shows and at book signings several times.

I think what's been said above is true: they are very good friends and have a lot in common, but don't need to socialize "after hours" because they spend so much time together working. I think that if they didn't work together, they would probably socialize more, which is probably not the case with Adam and Jamie.

RickJay: Thanks for setting the record straight about Laurel and Hardy. Thirty-some years ago, when I was a teenager, I knew everything there was to know about them, but it's been decades since I read any of the several books I have about them.

*Think I'm lying? Here are the pictures of me and Adam (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0323.JPG) (taken by Kari) and me and Kari (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0322.JPG) (taken by Adam).

Snooooopy
05-05-2008, 02:17 AM
*Think I'm lying? Here are the pictures of me and Adam (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0323.JPG) (taken by Kari) and me and Kari (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0322.JPG) (taken by Adam).

I still think you're lying.

flodnak
05-05-2008, 02:30 AM
while the rest of the team there all seem to work pretty well together I just get a faint vibe of annoyance from Jamie towards Adam, although I can't quite put my finger on it.The young flodnaks and I like to try to guess what will be the last straw that causes Jamie to kill Adam in his sleep. Please tell me we're not the only ones who do this? Pretty please?

Princhester
05-05-2008, 02:30 AM
I know what Adam looks like, but how do we know it's you? ;)

Intravenus De Milo
05-05-2008, 02:40 AM
The young flodnaks and I like to try to guess what will be the last straw that causes Jamie to kill Adam in his sleep. Please tell me we're not the only ones who do this? Pretty please?Adam sneaks into Jamie's office, goes into the closet where he keeps his extensive beret collection, and fills all of them, save one, with ballistics gel. He leaves the following note:

Jamie,

The producers wanted us to test the insulating properties of jellyfish in regards to the scalp temperature of bald men. Those fan questions, you never know! I went ahead and used the gel as a stand-in for the jellyfish and left you one dry beret as a control. Good luck running the numbers and I'll see you tomorrow,

Adam :cool:

Princhester
05-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Actually, according to the sign all Adam has to do is not clean up, and he will die.

WF Tomba
05-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Actually, according to the sign all Adam has to do is not clean up, and he will die.
Yeah, and Jamie wouldn't kill him in his sleep. He'd just say "All right, enough is enough" and pick him up and stuff him into a giant trash compactor.

Shecky
05-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Abbott and Costello had some problems, but they've been a bit overblown. Laurel and Hardy, however, were terrific friends their whole lives. When Hardy died, it devastated Laurel, and he never acted again, despite being asked to. He wouldn't even do walk-ons.

Wasn't it Laurel and Hardy who, when one had a debilitating stroke leaving him speechless, the other came by to chat. After an hour of silence, the daughter opened the door and saw the two of them communicating with pantomime?

JThunder
05-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I do get the sense that Kari, Grant, and Tory all get along pretty well with each other.

howye
05-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I'll toss another example into the mix in the guys in Rush. They've been playing together for almost 35 years (!) and enjoy doing so. But when they're not working they're totally separate people. They stay in touch but it's not a 'best friends' kind of thing. Hell, one of them (Peart) lives in another country than the other two. And when they're at the initial stages of writing an album they're all HOME. It's not until they have some rough idea of where they're going that the get together in a studio.

Not to hijack the thread, but this is not entirely correct. Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson have known each other since their school days and until recently lived in the same Toronto nieghborhood as each other. (Alex's house is up for sale, appears to be downsizing now that the kids are out of the house). They have frequently stated that the early stages of music writing or setlist production happen in one of their homes. They are good friends. As to their relationship with Neil, its more complex. After 34 years of working together they are close friends. But events in Neil's life have caused him to move far away. They stay in touch, and spent months together in a residential studio writing their most recent album.

To relate to the OP, Jamie and Adam have what often seems to be an uncomfortable dynamic on the show. But they seem to get away with it because they can film the show and then go home. Musical or stage acts often have to spend long periods of time together when touring. The ones that are friends will probably last longer as acts.

John DiFool
05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
There are some counterexamples of course: Hope and Crosby, for instance.

Dangerosa
05-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Well, where is the photo of Michael Shermer? What's he, chopped liver?

gotpasswords
05-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Now the dynamic that I *REALLY* don't understand is on American Chopper. Do these guys really come close to completely melting down all the time, or is it just staged for dramatic effect?
My partner believes the endless arguing and bickering is 100% real, based on his experiences working in his familiy's machine shop. His older brother and father were always after each other, just like the two Pauls.

Nic2004
05-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Along the same theme as "frequent pairings" I submit Tim Allen and Patrick Warburton. They were in one of my favorites Big Trouble (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246464/) together as well as Joe Somebody (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279889/). Additionally, Tim Allen was the voice of Buzz Lightyear in the Pixar movie and Warburton was the voice in the TV series.

commasense
05-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Well, where is the photo of Michael Shermer? What's he, chopped liver?Okay, here you go (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0324a.jpg).

This happened during James Randi's "The Amazing Meeting 4" (TAM 4) in Las Vegas, January 2006. I didn't get a picture of me with Shermer because he left fairly early (~11 pm) in our evening carouse. He had to moderate a session early the next morning.

And look what I just found: Mythbusters meet Penn (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0338a.jpg).

And in case you thought I was lying about meeting Penn, here I am with him (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0352a.jpg).

A bunch of us TAMers went to P&T's show at the Rio, and met the guys afterward. I took the last shot myself as we were all posing for a group shot with P&T. Note that Penn is looking straight at my camera!

Max Torque
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM
See, I had a different read on Penn and Teller. Teller wrote a non-fiction bit in Playboy a year or two back, and the vibe I got from one paragraph in particular was that, though they'd started out as friends, they weren't any longer, but they still worked together because, hey, it's a solid gig and makes boatloads of cash.

And I have a solo pic of myself with Penn taken after the Rio show, as well. He's an extremely nice guy in person, and seems willing to spend as long as it takes to shake every hand and sign every slip of paper.

Cervaise
05-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah, and Jamie wouldn't kill him in his sleep. He'd just say "All right, enough is enough" and pick him up and stuff him into a giant trash compactor.No no no. Bark chipper. "This week on Mythbusters, Fargo myths!"

HeyHomie
05-05-2008, 02:29 PM
No no no. Bark chipper. "This week on Mythbusters, Fargo myths!"

That's actually not a half-bad idea. Not to use real people, of course, but a human analogue (euphemism for "frozen pork"), run it through a wood chipper, and see what happens. My guess: it gums up the machine and the machine stops.

ShibbOleth
05-05-2008, 02:43 PM
It seems that Rob Schneider is in every Adam Sandler film ever made.

pepperlandgirl
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
And if you see Ben Stiller is in a movie, you know that Owen Wilson can't be far behind.

Dangerosa
05-05-2008, 03:19 PM
See, I had a different read on Penn and Teller. Teller wrote a non-fiction bit in Playboy a year or two back, and the vibe I got from one paragraph in particular was that, though they'd started out as friends, they weren't any longer, but they still worked together because, hey, it's a solid gig and makes boatloads of cash.

And I have a solo pic of myself with Penn taken after the Rio show, as well. He's an extremely nice guy in person, and seems willing to spend as long as it takes to shake every hand and sign every slip of paper.

I think both of them can blow hot and cold on their relationship - like a lot of people who have been married for a long time can be. I suspect that Penn in particular can really quickly become an overbearing ass - and that if you hit either one of them at the right time, there is more animosity than friendship in their remarks to one another. But like a married couple that doesn't mean they don't like each other - they just don't like each other at that moment.

Jamie and Adam also have moments when there seems to be more animosity there, but in their case (unlike Penn and Tellers) I don't think there is ever true friendship.

Ebert has really gone out of his way to say he and Siskel actually became good friends - though I don't think they started that way, and there were always rumors that they didn't get along.

Grossbottom
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
In fairness, Jamie strikes me as a huge dick. Can you imagine the personality behind that Clean Up or Die sign and bizarre outfit? Oh sure, he's the guy you want handling explosives, but probably not really much of a social wunderkind.

If I was Savage I wouldn't hang around with him either. I really kind of doubt that Jamie has any friends. :(

control-z
05-05-2008, 03:28 PM
And look what I just found: Mythbusters meet Penn (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0338a.jpg).

Wow, I'm a little star-struck by that photo, Brad Pitt or somebody wouldn't faze me that much but that photo stops me cold.

As mentioned previously, Adam and Jamie probably work together so much that what little private time they have is best spent with their family/friends.

To me Adam would be fun for a while but would get annoying when you were actually trying to get work done. But both of them are really good thinkers and fabricators.

Yorikke
05-05-2008, 06:10 PM

Get your head OFF MY WOMAN!

Joe

commasense
05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Get your head OFF MY WOMAN!

JoeHeh. Apparently you haven't noticed that "your" woman has her head on my shoulder. So there.

(Actually, we're both out of luck. A couple months after this picture was taken, she married someone else. [sob] How could she do that to me?)

commasense
05-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow, I'm a little star-struck by that photo, Brad Pitt or somebody wouldn't faze me that much but that photo stops me cold.It's not too late to sign up for TAM 6 (http://www.randi.org/joom/component/option,com_registrationpro/Itemid,33/func,details/did,1/), in Las Vegas, June 19-22. P&T will be there, as will Adam (but apparently not Jamie or --sob-- Kari), along with Shermer, Bad Astronomer Phil Plait, Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, PZ Myers, and Christopher Hitchens. And Randi, of course.

I don't think I'll make it, but you never know. I've only been to the one in 2006, but I had a great time. It's a relatively small meeting, so you really get a chance to meet the celebrities, as you can see.

Qwertyasdfg
05-05-2008, 07:02 PM
A friend of mine was sure that behind the scenes they were gay lovers, so I guess not everybody gets the same impression as the OP, for whatever that's worth.

control-z
05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I never got that vibe from them. :confused:

Yorikke
05-05-2008, 11:49 PM
A friend of mine was sure that behind the scenes they were gay lovers, so I guess not everybody gets the same impression as the OP, for whatever that's worth.

I had that thought for a minute. I'm sure that Jamie is sexually interesting. I loved that in the shark episode (I think), they just gloss over where they got the full-sized fist and poking hand models in latex. Just what might those be used for, hmm?? ;)

Joe

Yorikke
05-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Heh. Apparently you haven't noticed that "your" woman has her head on my shoulder. So there.

You wanna fight about it? *Manly Grunt* ;)

Joe

devilsknew
05-06-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm a couple of degrees away from somebody who worked rather closely with Adam and Jamie on a rather intensive myth. If it's possible, I'll try to get his opinion.

lobotomyboy63
05-06-2008, 05:43 AM
I always took Jamie's attitude as that of a serious scientist. I.e. you start screwing around and the experimental results might be inconclusive. Adam's a lot funnier but when they square off for a challenge, designing a device independently to see whose works better, Jamie seems to win a lot more.

WF Tomba
05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
I had that thought for a minute. I'm sure that Jamie is sexually interesting. I loved that in the shark episode (I think), they just gloss over where they got the full-sized fist and poking hand models in latex. Just what might those be used for, hmm?? ;)

Joe
No, they showed the San Francisco shop where they got them. They did rather winkingly gloss over their intended purpose, though.

I can see where someone might get the gay vibe from Adam and Jamie, though, because they both have a certain West Coast style that can look gay to people who aren't from California.

commasense
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
A friend of mine was sure that behind the scenes they were gay lovers, so I guess not everybody gets the same impression as the OP, for whatever that's worth.Adam has a wife and kids, and according to IMDb, Jamie is married. Of course, that's not conclusive, but I think your friend's gaydar is out of whack in this case.

Cervaise
05-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Proof that Adam and Jamie are gay lovers

1. They live in San Francisco.

... And, scene.

pFd
05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Just popping in to say that the ads are displaying something about a "Kari float switch". I don't know what that is but my imagination is running wild.

mmmm....floating with Kari....no switching!

Jake
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Wasn't it Laurel and Hardy who, when one had a debilitating stroke leaving him speechless, the other came by to chat. After an hour of silence, the daughter opened the door and saw the two of them communicating with pantomime?
Or maybe Moe and Curley after Curley had a stroke? (Just a guess)

ouryL
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
I dunno...

Would I feel safer playing with dynamite with Jamie supervising or Adam?

BTW Did you see their cameo on CSI?

Cardinal
05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Supposedly Joey and Johnny Ramone didn't get along for many years during their musical career. Johnny stole and married Joey's girlfriend, and they were opposed politically. I've heard (on the net, so buyer beware) that they didn't really speak to each other for a good number of years. I guess they just knew that this was the job they could get that would make them good money, and they weren't willing to give that up to get away from each other, unlike so many other "artistic" types.

Pork Rind
05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Johnny stole and married Joey's girlfriend, and they were opposed politically.

Thus the origin of The KKK Took My Baby Away. Supposedly.

SpazCat
05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I had a great time in the few hours I spent drinking with <Adam>

I hate you.

Cisco
05-07-2008, 01:13 AM
I too had always just assumed they were boyfriends. Their particular brand of arguing and standoffishness looks a lot more like flirting to me.

Shecky
05-07-2008, 07:39 AM
I too had always just assumed they were boyfriends. Their particular brand of arguing and standoffishness looks a lot more like flirting to me.

It's the beret. It tends to throw people off more than Ron Popeil's Spray On Hair.

Vinyl Turnip
05-07-2008, 08:09 AM
It's the beret. It tends to throw people off more than Ron Popeil's Spray On Hair.
For me, it was less the beret and more the "hold this while you fuck my face" horseshoe mustache, which as a rule either means you're gay or you're Wyatt Earp.

Scumpup
05-07-2008, 08:12 AM
For me, it was less the beret and more the "hold this while you fuck my face" horseshoe mustache, which as a rule either means you're gay or you're Wyatt Earp.

Why can't you be both?

GuanoLad
05-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Adam's wife was on an episode once - the one where he was trying to climb the outside of a building using suction cups - she kissed him good luck, and she was totally hot. But Jamie's family has never even been mentioned, though I read in an interview that he's married.

Robot Arm
05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
For me, it was less the beret and more the "hold this while you fuck my face" horseshoe mustache, which as a rule either means you're gay or you're Wyatt Earp.Whenever Adam does the thing where he holds his fingers in front of his mouth and starts imitating Jamie, I always want him to start doing Dr. Zoidberg.

Vinyl Turnip
05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
But Jamie's family has never even been mentioned, though I read in an interview that he's married.

So was Doug Henning. Twice.

Scumpup
05-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Being married doesn't preclude having a taste for dick.

GuanoLad
05-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I wasn't exactly implying "heterosexual marriage means not homosexual" so much as "marriage and no other evidence to the contrary beyond pure invention means there's no reason to think they are anything other than heterosexual work colleagues."

I thought Doug Henning was just a weird hippy magician. I hadn't heard anything about him being gay.

Scumpup
05-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Doug Henning was gayer than an explosion in a glitter factory.

control-z
05-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't think Jamie is gay at all. Never got that vibe from him.

Little Nemo
05-07-2008, 10:43 AM

* The That 70s Show group were all friends except for EricAnother example is Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, and Lucy Liu, who became good friends while making Charlie's Angels.

Merijeek
05-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Unless we're talking about women, of course. In which case it does!

(rimshot!)

-Joe

Zsofia
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Adam's wife was on an episode once - the one where he was trying to climb the outside of a building using suction cups - she kissed him good luck, and she was totally hot. But Jamie's family has never even been mentioned, though I read in an interview that he's married.
His wife is a science teacher.

Nonsuch
05-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Ebert has really gone out of his way to say he and Siskel actually became good friends - though I don't think they started that way, and there were always rumors that they didn't get along.'Struth. Here (http://www.spike.com/video/siskel-vs-ebert/2685717) is some fantastic candid footage of Siskel and Ebert being bitches.

And, since this thread is wandering all over the place anyway, I might mention that the cast of Star Trek: TNG had probably the best relationships of any television show of the time; apart from the occasional Patrick Stewart grumpiness, all of the regulars were good friends on and off set.

mdholt
10-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Another counter example (if the documentary is to be expected), Apparently Trey Parker and Matt Stone are essentially as close a 50 year marriage.

Spud
10-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Even though a bit of a zombie...

The recent episode of Mythbusters where they paddle a barge with... not sure what they are called... steam shovels just doesn't seem right, Adam commented something to the effect of "even though we don't really like each other we work well together."

h.sapiens
10-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Excavators. Pretty good episode. And I heard Adam say something similar in an interview on a podcast (maybe Skepticality).

aceplace57
10-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Jaime was originally Adam's boss long before Mythbusters.

He still holds onto that attitude. Jaime often reminds us that M5 is his shop. His tools and equipment. He complains that Adam is hard on his tools and he's often sloppy.

That's all true. But, doesn't exactly foster a buddy buddy relationship between Adam and Jamie. Adam doesn't work for Jaime anymore, but that old relationship is always there.

I've heard the show built the shop/set that Grant, Tory, Kari use. It's not part of M5. Jaime can't complain about their work habits.

Icerigger
10-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I've heard the show built the shop/set that Grant, Tory, Kari use. It's not part of M5. Jaime can't complain about their work habits.

Mythbusters is really like two separate shows, Kari, Grant and Tory hardly ever come in contact with Adam and Jamie anymore.

Prelude to Fascination
10-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Mythbusters is really like two separate shows, Kari, Grant and Tory hardly ever come in contact with Adam and Jamie anymore.

I wonder why that is.

One complaint I have about the show is it's become more or less a "You Asked For It!" sort of enterprise. A lot of what they've been doing over the last few series have been because of viewer requests on the website, or replicating viral videos.

I really enjoyed the early episodes, when they tested urban legends, and had a woman (I think she was a professor from somewhere) detailing the background and meaning of the legends. But there are only so many urban legends out there that can be tested, and besides, as we all know, "Jamie want big boom."

devilsknew
10-20-2011, 08:13 PM
But there are only so many urban legends out there that can be tested, and besides, as we all know, "Jamie want big boom."

You think it's Jamie? I always thought it was Adam, Kari, Grant, and Tori who were the nitrophiliacs. Frankly, I blame them all for the dumbing down of the History, Discovery, and Nat Geo channels... And turning them all, collectively, into the Redneck Guns and Explosives channels. Crap, one and all.. let's shoot something and blow something up is just crap broadcasting and has no redeeming qualities and the clones they have kicked off are becoming tiresome and boring.. They single handedly destroyed the last remnants of educational TV and have progressed the regressive policies of the NRA. People can actually conceal carry in a bar in my state thanks to the crap they kicked off..

JThunder
10-20-2011, 11:41 PM
You think it's Jamie?
It's a direct quote from Jamie.

enalzi
10-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Excavators. Pretty good episode. And I heard Adam say something similar in an interview on a podcast (maybe Skepticality).

He talks about it on the Nerdist podcast. They have no problem admitting they don't like each other, but when they're doing some dangerous stunt, they want each other on the walkie talkies because they trust each other more than anyone else.

Little Nemo
10-21-2011, 12:16 AM
One thing which I don't think was mentioned in this thread is that Jamie is the reason why Adam is on the show. Discovery originally approached Jamie alone about hosting a cable show. He said he was interested in the idea but recognized that he didn't have the telegenic personality to carry a show by himself. So he recommended that Discovery hire Adam as his co-host.

Little Nemo
10-21-2011, 12:18 AM
nm

Marley23
10-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I wonder why that is.
Probably just the complexity of coordinating their schedules. Some of the myths take a long time to shoot and it's probably simpler for them to work separately. And the audience knows Kari and Grant and Tori by now. I don't think the viewers feel they need to see them report back to Jamie and Adam.

I haven't seen either of them say they don't like each other, but they have almost diametrically opposed personalities and you don't have to be friends to work well together.

Sage Rat
10-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Probably just the complexity of coordinating their schedules. Some of the myths take a long time to shoot and it's probably simpler for them to work separately. And the audience knows Kari and Grant and Tori by now. I don't think the viewers feel they need to see them report back to Jamie and Adam.
I don't think it's simplicity so much as that there isn't a necessity. Previous to Grant coming on, Jamie needed to plan out for and oversee the build team since none of them had the necessary skills to do the job. Both him and Adam seem to have hounded Grant for a while, trying to convince him to come on and lead the other team -- presumably because trying to do their myths plus lead the build crew was negatively impacting the quality of the myths or making them work longer hours than they wanted.

With Grant there, there simply isn't any need to put their hands in. Adam and Jamie can focus on their own work.

I suspect that they also try to keep separate just because it makes the other team a handy source of test subjects. In lots of tests, the person isn't supposed to know what's being tested, or else it might skew the results. But where possible, they would rather use a fellow cast member as a test subject than someone on the film crew, or off the streets. Keeping the other team in the dark and using them makes this all easier.

smiling bandit
10-21-2011, 12:43 AM
It's true, I think, that Jamie tends on average to do better in his technical and scientific mindset. But you can't deny that Adam has to strokes of sheer insane brilliance that truly leaps ahead of the game now and then.

Odesio
10-21-2011, 12:49 AM

Would you explain that to my wife?

devilsknew
10-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Ya see, no matter what Equalizing, Contractual Defrayment, or Levity, it has always been quite apparent the pecking order. It has always been quite apparent, at a skeleton management level in early seasons, that Jamie was the big boss man, Adam was supposed to be the lovable sidekick, but was in reality the Foreman of the shop, delegating tasks to the laborers, and acting as everyone's crazy shop teacher. Jamie was the administaration. I think that was why it was relatable ...people can seethemselves somewhere in that imbalance of on the job power.

Kamino Neko
10-21-2011, 01:34 AM
I suspect that they also try to keep separate just because it makes the other team a handy source of test subjects. In lots of tests, the person isn't supposed to know what's being tested, or else it might skew the results. But where possible, they would rather use a fellow cast member as a test subject than someone on the film crew, or off the streets. Keeping the other team in the dark and using them makes this all easier.

They've done a few myths with those kinds of tests, but, from what I remember, they've generally gone for usually off-screen members of their staff, rather than the Build Team experimenting on Adam and Jamie, or vice versa.

joebuck20
10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I wonder why that is.

One complaint I have about the show is it's become more or less a "You Asked For It!" sort of enterprise. A lot of what they've been doing over the last few series have been because of viewer requests on the website, or replicating viral videos.

I really enjoyed the early episodes, when they tested urban legends, and had a woman (I think she was a professor from somewhere) detailing the background and meaning of the legends. But there are only so many urban legends out there that can be tested, and besides, as we all know, "Jamie want big boom."

Also a lot of replicating movies scenes. Sometimes it's cool, like with the James Bond episode. But sometimes it's lame as with The Green Hornet episode earlier this year, which hadn't even come out yet (so it's not like people had long been wondering if the stuff in the movie was possible).

billfish678
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
One thing which I don't think was mentioned in this thread is that Jamie is the reason why Adam is on the show. Discovery originally approached Jamie alone about hosting a cable show. He said he was interested in the idea but recognized that he didn't have the telegenic personality to carry a show by himself. So he recommended that Discovery hire Adam as his co-host.

Despite Jamie's somewhat "standoffish, no nonsense, I know what I am doing and am the boss persona" I gotta say that shows an amount of selfawareness, sense of fair play, and an ego thats under control that is a bit too rare in this world.

UncleRojelio
10-21-2011, 11:23 AM
me and Kari (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0322.JPG) (taken by Adam).

I must have seen this picture a hundred times now. When are you going to Photoshop out those red eyes?

Little Nemo
10-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Despite Jamie's somewhat "standoffish, no nonsense, I know what I am doing and am the boss persona" I gotta say that shows an amount of selfawareness, sense of fair play, and an ego thats under control that is a bit too rare in this world.Also self-confidence. Some people would have been afraid to suggest hiring somebody else. Discovery could easily have decided to hire Adam instead of Jamie rather than hire them both as co-hosts.

QuarkChild
10-21-2011, 11:49 AM
No one's mentioned the Rolling Stones in this thread. Don't Keith and Mick detest each other?

JSexton
10-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I haven't seen either of them say they don't like each other, but they have almost diametrically opposed personalities and you don't have to be friends to work well together.

This. There's clearly no real animosity between them, but outside of their work they have nothing in common. Lots of people at my work fit the same criteria. We work well together, and don't socialize outside of work. If we were on TV, it would look pretty similar.

Penn and Teller are another good example. Great chemistry on screen, separate lives off.

robardin
10-21-2011, 02:34 PM
You think it's Jamie? I always thought it was Adam, Kari, Grant, and Tori who were the nitrophiliacs. Frankly, I blame them all for the dumbing down of the History, Discovery, and Nat Geo channels... And turning them all, collectively, into the Redneck Guns and Explosives channels. Crap, one and all.. let's shoot something and blow something up is just crap broadcasting and has no redeeming qualities and the clones they have kicked off are becoming tiresome and boring.. They single handedly destroyed the last remnants of educational TV and have progressed the regressive policies of the NRA. People can actually conceal carry in a bar in my state thanks to the crap they kicked off..

I get where you're coming from. I can't tell you how hard I laughed - literally rolling on the floor - when I found out AFTER reading this Onion article (http://www.theonion.com/articles/science-channel-refuses-to-dumb-down-science-any-f,2897/) that Punkin Chunkin (http://science.discovery.com/tv/punkin-chunkin/) was a real show by seeing a commercial spot for it on the Discovery Channel... But I still love the Mythbusters show in particular because unlike some of its imitators in spirit, they exhibit scientific value in their process not their actions. They always analyze and debate how reasonable what their approach is before going about doing it, and usually do some sanity check trials first on smaller samples or scales too.

Tanbarkie
10-21-2011, 03:15 PM
I get where you're coming from. I can't tell you how hard I laughed - literally rolling on the floor - when I found out AFTER reading this Onion article (http://www.theonion.com/articles/science-channel-refuses-to-dumb-down-science-any-f,2897/) that Punkin Chunkin (http://science.discovery.com/tv/punkin-chunkin/) was a real show by seeing a commercial spot for it on the Discovery Channel... But I still love the Mythbusters show in particular because unlike some of its imitators in spirit, they exhibit scientific value in their process not their actions. They always analyze and debate how reasonable what their approach is before going about doing it, and usually do some sanity check trials first on smaller samples or scales too.

More importantly, they often change the whole direction of a series of experiments midstream when it becomes clear that their initial hypothesis was wrong, and they're not afraid to revisit old myths (and, often, prove their previous conclusions wrong in doing so) if fans point out errors in their methodology.

The de-evolution of channels like Discovery and the History Channel into mindless redneck fodder is real and sad. But blaming it on Adam and Jamie rather than the idiot execs who misunderstand what makes "Mythbusters" great is like blaming J.R.R. Tolkien for the existence of "Eragon."

astorian
10-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Laurel and Hardy WEREN'T friends, it's true, but they weren't constantly feuding or at odds.Abbott and Costello OFTEN fought, because both had big egos and strong opinions.It wasn't like that with Laurel & Hardy- Oliver Hardy had enormous respect for Stan Laurel, who was the undisputed boss of the team,. Hardy was usually happy to do whatever Laurel decided would work best.

They rarely socialized because their interests and their circles of friends were so different. That is, at the end of the day, Oliver Hardy didn't groan, "Thank God I can get away from that jerk Stan." Rather, it was more like, "Well, I'm off to play golf. See you tomorrow, Stan. "

commasense
10-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I must have seen this picture a hundred times now. When are you going to Photoshop out those red eyes?Sorry to keep you waiting. Try it now. (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0322.JPG)(Hit "refresh" if it hasn't changed.)

And thanks for the chance to let me show it off again!

(Of course, now that I'm a married man, I no longer have fantasies about Kari or any one other than my wonderful wife.)

devilsknew
10-22-2011, 05:57 AM
I saw a loop of Discovery Channel, edited, Kari butt shots for download, on a celebrity site, the other day. I wasn't quite that desperate.

Don't get me wrong, it is certainly voyeuristic ephemera of quite some value, but I would just feel dirty.

thirdname
10-22-2011, 10:42 AM
I saw a loop of Discovery Channel, edited, Kari butt shots for download, on a celebrity site, the other day. I wasn't quite that desperate.

Don't get me wrong, it is certainly voyeuristic ephemera of quite some value, but I would just feel dirty.Link please.

Qadgop the Mercotan
10-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Link please.
Oh yeah...

Little Nemo
10-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I can't believe you guys are discussing Kari's butt like this. Time to change the topic.

Does anyone else think that Kari's boobs are bigger this season? Seriously, I even watched a DVD of an earlier season to confirm this.

Tangent
10-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Having a baby will do that.

Prelude to Fascination
10-22-2011, 03:03 PM
I think Jessi Combs (http://web.mac.com/jessicombs/jessi_combs/galleria/Pages/portfolio.html#3) (who subbed for Kari while Kari was on maternity leave) is at least as hot, and maybe just a little hotter, than Kari.

devilsknew
10-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Link please.

http://www.filesonic.com/file/2516032974

Hershele Ostropoler
10-22-2011, 05:17 PM
There was a Christmas episode within the last couple of years in which they did a gift exchange that was so forced and awkward that if I had thought they were friends, I wouldn't havfe after seeing that.

However, if they actively don't like each other, that's disappointing.

Little Nemo
10-22-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't see why people are disappointed to hear Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are buddies. I don't think they hate each other. They're just two people who work well together but don't have the personalities to be friends.

enalzi
10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't see why people are disappointed to hear Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are buddies. I don't think they hate each other. They're just two people who work well together but don't have the personalities to be friends.

I think there needs to be a word for "get along just fine other than occasionally annoying each other, but aren't really friends in any way," because whenever Adam says "Jamie and I don't like each other," people take that as "they hate each other."

aruvqan
10-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I think Jessi Combs (http://web.mac.com/jessicombs/jessi_combs/galleria/Pages/portfolio.html#3) (who subbed for Kari while Kari was on maternity leave) is at least as hot, and maybe just a little hotter, than Kari.
Hm, yes she is cute, but Kari has a sparkle that just boosts her appeal.

Red Barchetta
10-22-2011, 06:03 PM
I think there needs to be a word for "get along just fine other than occasionally annoying each other, but aren't really friends in any way," because whenever Adam says "Jamie and I don't like each other," people take that as "they hate each other."

Acquaintance.

Lemur866
10-22-2011, 07:03 PM
It's just that when people see two guys on TV who are always together, they assume they are always together when they aren't on TV. Except, if you're on a show with a guy, you're already spending most of the day with them, and now you wanna get together on the weekends and play golf with them?

Matt and Trey may be hetero life partners (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeterosexualLifePartners), but most people who work together on TV aren't.

Marley23
10-22-2011, 07:10 PM
It's a sentiment you don't hear people voice that often in this kind of context, especially in public, so "we don't like each other" is usually taken to mean "we dislike each other." When I posted earlier I hadn't seen the excavator episode, but now I have- and at the end of the rowing segment, Adam does say something very close to 'this is an example of how Jamie and I work well together even though we don't like each other.' What they are is coworkers.

JThunder
10-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Agreed, and IMO, hotter.

Sage Rat
10-23-2011, 02:53 AM
It's a sentiment you don't hear people voice that often in this kind of context, especially in public, so "we don't like each other" is usually taken to mean "we dislike each other." When I posted earlier I hadn't seen the excavator episode, but now I have- and at the end of the rowing segment, Adam does say something very close to 'this is an example of how Jamie and I work well together even though we don't like each other.' What they are is coworkers.

I think they've both been asked this question enough, together and in public, that Adam didn't feel it worth hem-hawing over.

UncleRojelio
10-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Sorry to keep you waiting. Try it now. (http://www.lfexaminer.com/IMG_0322.JPG)(Hit "refresh" if it hasn't changed.)

And thanks for the chance to let me show it off again!

(Of course, now that I'm a married man, I no longer have fantasies about Kari or any one other than my wonderful wife.)

Aww, much better!

Grestarian
10-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Holy HotRod! Some of those pictures are stunning!
Those curves!
Those --uh...headlights!

Oh, and who's the blonde sitting astride, anyway?

:D

Martian Bigfoot
10-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I really miss some of the Adam/Jamie interaction from the first few series, when the show had so much more of a "backstage" feel to it, and you could actually see them interact for real. These days, they mostly just come across as... a couple of television presenters.

SpazCat
10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I really miss some of the Adam/Jamie interaction from the first few series, when the show had so much more of a "backstage" feel to it, and you could actually see them interact for real. These days, they mostly just come across as... a couple of television presenters.
One of my favorite moments from the early seasons was one experiment where you could tell Adam and Jamie were getting on each other's nerves. I think it was the first time Adam did his fingers impression of Jamie's mustache. They don't do that as much anymore.

Sage Rat
10-28-2011, 02:59 AM

I agree. Particularly now that the show has run out of good myths, they should go to a one-myth-per-ep format and rotate between the build teams, showing more of the building stage and so on.

commasense
10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
One of my favorite moments from the early seasons was one experiment where you could tell Adam and Jamie were getting on each other's nerves. I think it was the first time Adam did his fingers impression of Jamie's mustache. They don't do that as much anymore.Actually, Grant was the one who came up with that move. I don't think he did it on TV first (if ever), but Adam admits it was Grant's invention.

calgarywino
06-13-2012, 11:21 AM
I have been curious about this for a while and had my suspicions since they are so polar opposite in their personalities. In the "Duct Tape Plane" episode in the sequence where Adam amd Jamie have to row a barge to shore with excavators Adam actually admits to them not getting along but being able to work together well in getting their effort coordinated.
However as unfeasible as it seems, his statement could be just a dramtic device !