PDA

View Full Version : Drat! Miracle Whip left out overnight

Morgyn
05-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Is it still safe to eat/use? Or should I toss it? Note that house temperature averaged in the mid-60s (F) during the time it was on the counter, and it was closed tightly. (And please, no Miracle Whip versus "real" mayonnaise arguments, 'k? Pretty please?)

GaryM
05-24-2008, 10:14 PM
According to Alton Brown, mayo is acidic enough that bacteria will not grow in it. To my mind Miracle Whip is close enough that I wouldn't worry about it. YMMV of course.

WarmNPrickly
05-24-2008, 11:34 PM
I do this all of the time with the mayonaise. Do I ever get sick? No. Do I tell my guests? No.

don't ask
05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
You can eat Miracle Whip?

Cat Whisperer
05-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Mayonnaise salads are one of the leading causes of food poisoning. Yes, the mayo is acidic and if commercially-prepared, probably safe on the counter overnight, but once you've opened the jar and stuck utensils in it (which may or may not have been perfectly clean), you can still grow nasties in a jar of mayo. I wouldn't be leaving mine out on the counter regularly. Forgotten out one night? I don't know - my first reaction says it would be okay, but the golden rule of not poisoning yourself is "If in doubt, throw it out."

And for the record, I'll eat yummy, tangy Miracle Whip any day of the week before I'll eat the devil spooge that is mayo. :D

Morgyn
05-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Well, I found this information at the New York Times (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE6D81738F937A35754C0A966958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2)

In fact, the tanginess in both mayonnaise and Miracle Whip comes from an acid ingredient like vinegar or lemon juice. Commercial mayonnaise must be at least 2.5 percent acid by weight, which is why, contrary to what was a popular belief until recently, it does not promote food spoilage and is therefore not risky to use in warm weather. The Food Research Institute of the University of Wisconsin has found, in studies, that mayonnaise actually inhibits the growth of bacteria.

The salt in mayonnaise also helps prevent spoilage. It is the other ingredients often mixed with mayonnaise, like chicken and hard-cooked eggs, that are likely to spoil when unrefrigerated. Looks to me as if I ought to be safe to use it again.

Thanks, all.

FoieGrasIsEvil
05-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Just think about the way fast-food restaurants dispense room-temp packets of mayo...or the fact that it contains so much acid...or that you can make a bologna and cheese sammy in the AM and eat it in the PM safely even if you haven't refrigerated the bag lunch.

As long as you're not leaving the opened jar out of the fridge on a regular basis you should be fine.

Or you could just buy another jar...it's still pretty cheap!

:)

LadyMack
05-25-2008, 01:00 AM
My Ex MIL would NOT keep her Miracle Whip in the damned fridge. I don't know why. Even when I asked, she said she liked it not cold, and it didn't hurt anything.
It tasted old, and I switched to mustard at their house.
Anyway. None of us died during those few years.
As a matter of fact, they ALL still survive.
I now keep mine in the fridge.

DrDeth
05-25-2008, 01:48 AM
It's very likely safe. But then again- how expensive is a new jar of mayo?

Cat Whisperer
05-25-2008, 10:47 AM
There are both acid-loving and salt-tolerant bacteria. Like I said earlier, once you've opened the jar and stuck un-sterile things in it, all bets are off. Those packets left on the tables are single-servings and are sterile until opened.

LadyMack, another rule of thumb for not poisoning yourself is not eating food that tastes or smells anything but fresh and normal - I think you made the right call by not eating it, even if no one else seemed to get sick. Jeeze, I don't know why people play around with this kind of stuff - the fridge is right there, in damn near everyone's home. Maybe people need to read some case studies of how easy it is to poison yourself with food to take it more seriously.

LSLGuy
05-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Since Miracle Whip is 98% plastic & 2% preservatives, I can't see how it could be dangerous.

Now actual mayonnaise would be another matter. If I left it out overnight I'd pitch it, and I'm pretty far towards the "eat stuff off the floor & who much cares about spoilage" end of the spectrum.

Tamex
05-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Ugh, as a kid we were forced to eat Miracle Whip instead of mayo on our sandwiches that we took in bag lunches because of the lack of refrigeration. Mom said mayo would spoil, but MW would not. I always chose mustard instead. I hate MW to this day, and now I find that my suffering was totally unnecessary. *Sigh*

mangeorge
05-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Why are so many people so freakin' emotional about MW vs Mayo? I switch back and forth. I get a little tired of one and get the other. Occasionally I'll get that "sandwich spread", with the relish mixed in, but I get tired of that before it's gone. ;)
Also, some people seem proud of not using either. Proud enough to brag, and say "no mayo" loud enough for all to hear.
mangeorge smells affectatious behavior here.
Peace,
mangeorge

Tamex
05-25-2008, 12:09 PM
In my case, it's because I really like mayo and really hate MW. MW tastes too sweet. If I wanted a sweet sandwich, I'd make PB&J.

I also don't like how many people equate the two, like they are essentially the same. When my husband and I were dating, he took me home to meet his mother. Somewhere in the course of the visit, we went on a picnic, and his mother asked me if I wanted mustard or mayo on my sandwich. I of course said "mayo" and thought in my head, "Thank goodness none of that MW crap." Of course, I bit into my sandwich to the horror that was not only MW, but fat-free MW which has some sort of pinkish tinge that the regular stuff doesn't have. Disgusting! It was all I could do to choke it down with a smile of my face. And now she thinks I prefer "mayo". I do--real mayo, not pink MW.

At least my mom never called MW "mayo". She has her reasons for preferring MW, but she knew they were different. Had his mom said "MW", I'd have picked mustard. I guess I'm passionate about it because MW masquerades as something good.

Duckster
05-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Mayonnaise (often abbreviated mayo) is a thick condiment made primarily from vegetable oil and egg yolks. Whitish-yellow in color, it is a stable emulsion formed from the oil and the yolks and is generally flavored with lemon juice and/or vinegar, salt, and sometimes mustard.

-- snip --

Mayonnaise has a pH between 3.8 and 4.6, making it an acidic food. There is a misconception that foods like potato salad can make a person sick if left out in the sun, due to the mayonnaise spoiling. This is false; the pH of mayonnaise prevents harmful bacteria from growing in it. Left out of refrigeration, mayonnaise will develop an unappetizing taste and smell, due to other types of bacteria and molds that can spoil it; but will not make one sick. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise

Kraft® Miracle Whip Dressing

Water, soybean oil, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, modified food starch, eggs, salt, mustard flour, artificial color, potassium sorbate as a preservative, paprika, spice, natural flavor, dried garlic. Source: http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7321

The main difference between Miracle Whip and mayonnaise are the sweeteners: high-fructose corn syrup and sugar are the fourth and fifth ingredients, respectively, of Miracle Whip. Source: http://www.neatorama.com/2006/12/22/whats-the-difference-miracle-whip-vs-mayonnaise/

YMMV.

samclem
05-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Good OP. But, since this is the Dope, trying to prevent posters from offering their opinions in General Questions is like spitting into the wind. :mad:

Moving this to Cafe Society, where they still give factual answers, and opinions are welcome.

samclem GQ moderator

Athena
05-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Why are so many people so freakin' emotional about MW vs Mayo?

I think it's because there's a group of people in the world that don't differentiate between MW and Mayo, and us mayo-lovers have been burned more than once by being offered mayo, saying "Yes!" then taking a bite and realizing it's MW. To me, MW tastes so sweet that it's like covering your sandwich with some sort of weird sugar-vinegar sauce. Yuk.

Heck, my own mother thinks MW = Mayo. I grew up thinking it was the same thing. Then I discovered the true wonder that is mayo, and suddenly I realized why people actually like it. Mayo tastes good. MW tastes yucky. If you like it, fine, but please don't assume that I do, and don't give me MW when I ask for mayo!

Darryl Lict
05-25-2008, 02:17 PM
I think it's because there's a group of people in the world that don't differentiate between MW and Mayo, and us mayo-lovers have been burned more than once by being offered mayo, saying "Yes!" then taking a bite and realizing it's MW. To me, MW tastes so sweet that it's like covering your sandwich with some sort of weird sugar-vinegar sauce. Yuk.
Amen! Only a 'tard space alien without tastebuds would not realize that there is a significant difference between the two. I actually can sympathize with those poor souls cursed to be brought up in a MW house. It is still the devil's semen to me.

I've left mayo out overnight way more times than I care to admit. I've almost never gotten food poisoning (I should not have eaten that duck left out in hot weather), let alone died. But, since I eat all kinds of foods that would freak out the sanitarians, I have a superior immune system that has up to this point managed to protect me.

Khadaji
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM
I often don't bother putting my mayo away. Everyone I know frets about this, but it has never made me sick.

mangeorge
05-25-2008, 03:54 PM
If you don't exaggerate, nobody's going to listen to you. ;)
Like I said above, I use both interchangeably and can definitely taste a difference. But I enjoy that difference and use it to my advantage (variety, mostly).
Miracle Whip is sweeter, but not nearly as sweet as a certain poster claims. Methinks said poster is simply trying to make a point. In fact, it has a certain tartness (under the sweetness) that's missing in Helman's.
I like to make my own mayo, and it is very easy, but I'm usually too lazy.
Oh, for potato salad, the regular kind, it's MW plus some Grey Poupon, hands down.

ouryL
05-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Miracle Whip is Mayonnaise? :confused:

devilsknew
05-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Technically, Miracle Whip is (salad) dressing=But it is also technically mayonaise... it is mayonaise but it has additional ingredients, namely sweetners, flavorings, and vinegar.

Personally, I like Mayo and MW, I don't think one is better than the other, they're just different. I do think Miracle Whip makes better Potato Salad and Macaroni Salad than mayo, however. Most people add all kinds of sweet ingredients and other flavorings to the mayo in these salads and never balance it right. MW doesn't have this problem, though... it's perfectly balanced and is a perfect dressing.

Also, I generally like sandwiches with mayo, but sometimes mayo just seems too overwhelming and cloying in "fullness" of mouthfeel and it makes me a bit nauseous (I'm guessing it's all the oil). I actually prefer miracle whip sometimes, because it is lighter.

rocking chair
05-25-2008, 07:09 PM
if you decide not to eat the m.w. that was left out overnight, you could use it as an exfoilant. it is really good at it, esp. after a cast comes off. it is the only reason i buy it.

just slick it on, wait about 5 minutes, then lightly rub, when you have rubbed off about half your skin, rinse, soap up, and rinse again. the soap up is really important unless you want to smell like salad dressing.

devilsknew
05-25-2008, 07:39 PM
You can use Mayonnaise with Lemon to polish brass. It doesnt work as well as brasso, but it's natural. I probaly wouldn't use miracle whip to polish brass, however. The sugars wouldn't be beneficial, might get sticky.

devilsknew
05-25-2008, 07:50 PM
I take that back, apparently MW can polish metals, or at least according to AC and Charlie Bradley:
Household Hints: Handy Household Uses for Miracle Whip Salad Dressing (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/295456/household_hints_handy_household_uses.html)

mangeorge
05-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I almost forgot, I like Dijonaise. Either off the shelf or of my own making. I like it on natural casing hotdogs, with catsup.

mangeorge
05-25-2008, 07:58 PM
My ex-wife and her crew, many years ago, used one or the other as a hair conditioner. I forget which. They were all ac/dc too. :p

kittenblue
05-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Miracle Whip is NOT mayonnaise.

Leaper
05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Considering how evil Miracle Whip is, leaving it out overnight might've caused it to develop sentience. I'd watch myself if I were you.

devilsknew
05-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Also, another advantage of Miracle Whip is that it never curdles or seperates as Mayonnaise sometimes does, as an ingredient. Very stable.

Tamex
05-25-2008, 09:05 PM

Exactly. If it were, the jar would say, "Miracle Whip brand mayonnaise" instead of "Miracle Whip brand salad dressing". Even Kraft knows it ain't mayo.

silenus
05-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Which is a good thing, because mayo is Evil.

Plynck
05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
(And please, no Miracle Whip versus "real" mayonnaise arguments, 'k? Pretty please?)Your naïveté is endearing.

mangeorge
05-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Has anyone ever taken this question to the Supreme Court?
Seeing that MW is made of egg and oil, I'll bet it would pass muster. (mustard ;))
This thread has made me hungry for Miracle Whip. I shall get some today if the greedy folks at Raley's have the store open for business.
I'll put it on a tomato sandwich and call it "mayo".

WarmNPrickly
05-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Has anybody tried that lime mayonaise that they sell in the Mexican food section?

Mayonaise or Miracle Whip, I'm sure we can all agree that that reduced fat stuff makes serial killers out of otherwise sane men/women.

pulykamell
05-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Has anyone ever taken this question to the Supreme Court?
Seeing that MW is made of egg and oil, I'll bet it would pass muster. (mustard ;))

Not the Supreme Court, but another federal agency. It doesn't pass the USFDA definition of mayonnaise, which requires mayonnaise to be at least 65% oil by weight, at least 2 1/2% acidifier (either vinegar, lemon, or lime), eggs (either whole or yolks), and any of a small number of other permitted ingredients. Starches (Miracle Whip uses modified food starch as a thickening agent) are not on the list of approved ingredients for mayonnaise, and the oil content is less than 65%, hence its designation as "salad dressing."

Link to PDF of FDA identity regulations. (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2001/aprqtr/pdf/21cfr169.150.pdf)

Morgyn
05-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Your naïveté is endearing.I was e're hopeful.

Cluricaun
05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Technically, Miracle Whip is (salad) dressing.

This has always disturbed me. Somewhere out there someone is right now sitting down to a heaping plate of iceberg lettuce and Miracle Whip? Shudder.

FTR, I can have either or. I just can't handle having no sandwich lube at all. Dry sandwiches make the baby Jesus cry.

mangeorge
05-27-2008, 11:12 AM
This has always disturbed me. Somewhere out there someone is right now sitting down to a heaping plate of iceberg lettuce and Miracle Whip? Shudder.

FTR, I can have either or. I just can't handle having no sandwich lube at all. Dry sandwiches make the baby Jesus cry.
Tuna, egg, potato, chicken salad or any like that for me. Just about any mix-in.
I prefer italian on my iceberg lettuce.

Walkabout
05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
My parents lived on board a sailboat with very limited refridgeration for four years. They never put the MW or Mayo in the fridge while they lived aboard. They are still with us (20 years later).

even sven
05-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Here in Cameroon mayonaise is a popular condiment, and most people do not have access to refridgerators. It's left on the counter, generally in 100+ degree heat. For the most part people are fine.

Morgyn
05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Here in Cameroon mayonaise is a popular condiment, and most people do not have access to refridgerators. It's left on the counter, generally in 100+ degree heat. For the most part people are fine.(Bolding mine)

Yeah, but it's that "least part" that was worrying me. ;)

plnnr
05-27-2008, 01:41 PM
I worked in a commercial kitchen for years during high school and college and we never put mayo in the fridge. Of course, we used a hell of a lot of the stuff and it wasn't around long, but the opened jars of it were out on the shelves for days at a time. No one sick or dying.

Don't Call Me Shirley
05-27-2008, 04:01 PM

I did that when I was a kid. I didn't like any kind of salad dressings that my parents kept in the house, so I would put MW on salads. It was ok then, but the thought kind of makes me gag now.

I like them both. I usually get mayo but I'll buy a jar of MW once a year or so to change it up a little.

Every once in a while I get on a health food kick and buy light mayo (or, if I'm really delusional, fat-free mayo, god help me) but that's usually pretty short lived.

Bosstone
05-27-2008, 04:20 PM
This has always disturbed me. Somewhere out there someone is right now sitting down to a heaping plate of iceberg lettuce and Miracle Whip? Shudder.I tried it once. Not horrible. You can make a respectable Thousand Island substitute by mixing mayo/MW with ketchup, relish optional.

And yes, I conflate the two. Neener.

Myron Van Horowitzski
05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Is it still safe to eat/use? Or should I toss it? Note that house temperature averaged in the mid-60s (F) during the time it was on the counter, and it was closed tightly. (And please, no Miracle Whip versus "real" mayonnaise arguments, 'k? Pretty please?)

Morgyn, look on the jar label, carefully, for the phrase "Refrigerate After Opening."

It isn't there.

mangeorge
05-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Morgyn, look on the jar label, carefully, for the phrase "Refrigerate After Opening."

It isn't there.
On the back label, right next to the nutritional info and under the little "Kraft" symbol:
Refridgerate after opening
Do not freeze
Am I first? :p

dead0man
05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
The one in my 'fridge says it on the lid, but it's right next to the pickles which also said it on the lid and I'm pretty sure pickles don't need to be kept cold. Probably a lawyer thing.