Leaffan
07-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm a big fan of both.
I love hearing the pipes in rock songs.
Let's name as many as we can.

The Animals - Sky Pilot, comes to mind,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Argent Towers
07-23-2008, 12:40 AM
There's a song by Dinosaur Jr. with bagpipes but I can't remember what it's called.

NDP
07-23-2008, 12:54 AM
First song I thought of: AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top If You Want to Rock n' Roll."

Duckster
07-23-2008, 12:57 AM
John Farnham's You're The Voice.

Koxinga
07-23-2008, 12:59 AM
First thing I thought of was Big Country's hit single, "Big Country", off their hit album Big Country. But the bagpipe bit may have been synthesized. The video certainly featured a bagpiper, I know that much.

Gary Robson
07-23-2008, 02:25 AM
There are a whole lot of good Celtic rock bands you can check out, including Cuillin (esp. the song "Major Dipstick"), the Gutterpups, Horslips, Enter the Haggis, MacKeel (check out the song "Cranntara"), The Peatbog Faeries (these guys are strange--listen to "The Great Ceilidh Swindle"), Prydein ("Farewell to Eirann" is pretty good), the Real MacKenzies (Scottish punk!), Slainte Mhath (their "VA" album has some good piping), and Wolfstone.

I think the Pogues and Tempest used some bagpipes, too, but I'm not sure in which songs.

There are some other genres with bagpipes mixed in that can get interesting, too. "Pipe Dreams" by the Yakoo Boyz is basically Celtic techno. Google "afro-celtic" sometime, too.

Darryl Lict
07-23-2008, 03:15 AM
The Spicy McHaggis Jig by the Dropkick Murcphy's. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_AT1HkRbNc&feature=related).

For the Pogues from this site (http://www.discogs.com/release/369147), Dirty Old Town and The Body Of An American are supposed to have bagpipes, but I couldn't find any clips that actually had bagpipes. I think that greatest hits album may be out of print and on other versions they may have bagged the bagpipes.

NineToTheSky
07-23-2008, 03:49 AM
Didn't Paul McCartney's Mull of Kintyre have bagpipes?

astorian
07-23-2008, 06:13 AM
"Morning Dew" by the Jeff Beck Group, on the "Truth" album.

"Under the Milky Way" by the CHurch

GuanoLad
07-23-2008, 06:34 AM
I was going to say Run Runaway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09CuKZp4UZA) by Slade, but they're pretty heavily obscured.

WordMan
07-23-2008, 06:39 AM
"Morning Dew" by the Jeff Beck Group, on the "Truth" album.

Sing it, brother. I love that version and am always surprised to hear Grateful Dead versions of it, even though it is my understanding is that it is strongly associated with the Dead. Beck's use of wah on that song is definitive, along with his cover of You Shook Me and I Ain't Superstitious (if you don't own Truth, buy it immediately).

Koxinga, if you can believe it, the guy in Big Country got that tone out of his guitar. I don't remember the details, but I remember reading out it while I was living in Scotland when that song was first a hit back in the 80's - as you might guess, BC was pretty prominently featured in the Scots music press at the time.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
07-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Jethro Tull, "The Third Hoorah"

brewha
07-23-2008, 06:45 AM
"Shoots and Ladders" by Korn has some bagpipes. Not sure if its the kind of rock you're looking for though.

Jonathan Chance
07-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Koxinga, if you can believe it, the guy in Big Country got that tone out of his guitar. I don't remember the details, but I remember reading out it while I was living in Scotland when that song was first a hit back in the 80's - as you might guess, BC was pretty prominently featured in the Scots music press at the time.

The same applies to Run Runaway by Slade (and the follow up 'Hey Ho Wish You Well' off their next album). All guitars and tuning. Neat effect.

Laughing Lagomorph
07-23-2008, 06:54 AM

That's my recollection as well. In fact I seem to remember some interviews with the band from back in the day in which they professed surprise and even irritation that people thought they actually used bagpipes in their music, the band claimed they couldn't "hear" it, to them it was just guitars.

WordMan
07-23-2008, 06:59 AM
That's my recollection as well. In fact I seem to remember some interviews with the band from back in the day in which they professed surprise and even irritation that people thought they actually used bagpipes in their music, the band claimed they couldn't "hear" it, to them it was just guitars.

Yeah, that's right, isn't it? Now that you mention it, in the one interview I am thinking of, the guitar player went out of his way to say that the bagpipe-emulating tone wasn't a conscious thing, but maybe his ear was "trained" that way growing up in Scotland. Whatever.

NineToTheSky
07-23-2008, 07:03 AM
"Under the Milky Way" by the CHurch
I hate to be another party pooper but...

I'm a big Church fan, and I'm sorry to say it's not bagpipes, it's e-bow guitar. For example, if you listen very closely to the first couple of seconds, you can clearly hear a sound that just couldn't be bagpipes.

Koxinga
07-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Huh, that's neat. One other thing I discovered on Youtube: the video for "Big Country" did not feature a bagpiper. I could have sworn there was a scene where a little kid is in a room and suddenly a bagpiper wearing a bearskin hat bursts in, in a cloud of smoke.

Ah, but then I discovered this video (http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wk25TuaCwk&feature=related), seeing it for the first time in ~25 years. Neat Celtic sounding guitar effects in that one, too.

FlyingRat
07-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Yeah, that's right, isn't it? Now that you mention it, in the one interview I am thinking of, the guitar player went out of his way to say that the bagpipe-emulating tone wasn't a conscious thing, but maybe his ear was "trained" that way growing up in Scotland. Whatever.

A big factor in Big Country's guitar sound is the e-bow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-bow)-- Stuart Adamson was one of its early pioneers. ETA: I think most of the people who said that Big Country sounded "bagpipe-y" were simply referring to the strong Scottish character of their melodies, musical motifs, etc. but simply hadn't been exposed to that type of "Scottish sound" on any other instrument than the bagpipe.

(Big BC fan here-- I think it's a real shame that they didn't achieve more success in the US, considering they had a long and successful career up through the early '00's when Adamson passed away. They had a lot of really fantastic songs. If you like the sound of "In a Big Country", you'll probably like any of their first three albums, although their third, The Seer, is arguably the most "Scottish". None of their other stuff is to be sniffed at, though.)

Also, someone alluded to it above, but Afro-Celt Sound System is a great group if you like electronica/"worldbeat". (I think they may use the Irish uillean pipes more than the Scottish bagpipes, though.) I joke that they are one of the few groups out there where the name gives a pretty good idea of what they sound like!

MrDibble
07-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Gary Moore's "Over the Hills and Far Away" features the UIllean pipes, including in the video IIRC.
The Men They Couldn't Hang used pipes in "Colours"

Koxinga
07-23-2008, 07:38 AM
And here I thought Big Country was an archtypical one hit wonder. Ignorance fought!

FlyingRat
07-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Ah, but then I discovered this video (http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wk25TuaCwk&feature=related), seeing it for the first time in ~25 years. Neat Celtic sounding guitar effects in that one, too.

If you like that one, check out One Great Thing (http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=D-IhhSfPrHc&feature=related). That song kicks ass. (Even more so with the morris dancers!)

NineToTheSky
07-23-2008, 07:55 AM
If you like that one, check out One Great Thing (http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=D-IhhSfPrHc&feature=related). That song kicks ass. (Even more so with the morris dancers!)
Great song - great video. It really brought a smile to my face.

MadTheSwine
07-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Nothing to add but a joke

Why do bagpipe players march when they play?
To get away from the noise

jayjay
07-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I was going to say Run Runaway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09CuKZp4UZA) by Slade, but they're pretty heavily obscured.

That was going to be mine, too.

I'm wondering if the bagpipe sound we hear on that and the other guitar-originating "bagpipes" mentioned above is because the music has that Celtic "reel" rhythm to it and we associate that with pipes?

pravnik
07-23-2008, 08:59 AM
The aforementioned Dropkick Murphys have quite a few songs with pipes. Check out the albums "The Meanest of Times" and "The Warrior's Code."

Elendil's Heir
07-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Rod Stewart, "Rhythm of My Heart." Not my favorite song, but a good use o' the pipes.

A sidenote: My sister graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Andrew Carnegie's bequest to the school was on the condition that it always offer a bagpipe-performance major; sometimes no one majors in it, sometimes only one or two people, but it's always offered (the WSJ had an article on it a few years back). Also, a bagpiper always leads the academic procession at commencement at the College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio.

Leaffan
07-23-2008, 09:19 AM
OP checking in. I can't access the youtube links from work, but will check them out tonight.

I love Big Country! It always sounded like pipes to me.

Hey, what about Nazareth? Didn't they have some pipey-sounding songs?

Gary Robson
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM

To get away from the noiseWombat's law: Every time people who enjoy bagpipe music start a thread, some thread-shitter will show up and start the bagpipe jokes.

*sigh*

jayjay
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Wombat's law: Every time people who enjoy bagpipe music start a thread, some thread-shitter will show up and start the bagpipe jokes.

*sigh*

Eh. Pipers probably originated most of the bagpipe jokes.

Equipoise
07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
"Out Like A Lamb" by Happy Rhodes (from her album Equipoise) has bagpipes in it. It's about her father, who was a huge fan of bagpipes. From her bio:

Music was an early inclination, as were dance and art. Her father, Vernon H. Rhodes Jr., exposed Happy to his very eclectic musical tastes early on. She would sit on the floor in front of his console stereo and listen to Switched-On-Bach until she could sing along with every note. "I remember some Saturday mornings I'd wake up to Bagpipe music BLARING through the house and that meant that he'd be listening to his whole collection all day...... I loved walking around the house, singing along with every record or reel-to-reel tape."

Guinastasia
07-23-2008, 01:58 PM
"Jump Around" -House of Pain, an Irish-style hip-hop group in the early '90s. (Does that count, even though it's not quite "rock"?)

choie
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Not sure if this counts as 'rock', but FWIW Sting uses Northumbrian smallpipes several times. For example, "Island of Souls" (from The Soul Cages) opens with a moving pipes solo by Kathryn Tickell. She's also credited on Ten Summoner's Tales and Mercury Falling, but offhand I can't recall which tracks she played the pipes on.

commasense
07-23-2008, 08:49 PM
If you're interested in expanding your horizons to jazz, you should know about Rufus Harley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_Harley).

Years and years ago, a friend of mine came across an LP in a cutout bin with picture of a black guy with dreadlocks wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes. IIRC, on one side of the album Rufus plays sax, and on the other bagpipes. He plays mostly jazz standards, backed by a small ensemble.

On hearing a jazz rendition of "Chim Chim Cheree" played on bagpipes, most people go through several distinct phases: shock, amazement, laughter, growing discomfort, and distress. Prolonged exposure can lead to insanity. (This was clearly the effect it had on Rufus, as indicated by the bizarre rants documented in the video tribute (http://www.amazon.com/Pipes-Peace-Rufus-Harley/dp/B000X25FUA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216863768&sr=8-3) to him released earlier this year.)

Nevertheless, he recorded with artists such as Laurie Anderson, Herbie Mann, and Sonny Rollins, and toured all over the world for decades, often giving fans miniature Liberty Bells, the symbol of his native Philadelphia. His early Atlantic albums are available in a boxed set (http://www.amazon.com/Courage-Atlantic-Recordings-Rufus-Harley/dp/B000PBSPGK/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216863768&sr=8-1).

He died in 2006, at the age of 70.

GingerOfTheNorth
07-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Look for McQuaig, a Canadian rock band who I used to see in Yellowknife and Western Canada quite a bit - Johnny McQuaig plays pipes like a wildman.

An Gadaí
07-23-2008, 09:31 PM
"Jump Around" -House of Pain, an Irish-style hip-hop group in the early '90s. (Does that count, even though it's not quite "rock"?)

Here's that song in Irish (Gaelic) by American comedian, Des Bishop,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4LCpzNQW58

Hazle Weatherfield
07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
That was going to be mine, too.

I'm wondering if the bagpipe sound we hear on that and the other guitar-originating "bagpipes" mentioned above is because the music has that Celtic "reel" rhythm to it and we associate that with pipes?

Mine, too!

wheelie
07-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Come Talk To Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAmMw1GSrtY) by Peter Gabriel starts with bagpipes.

Runs With Scissors
07-23-2008, 11:22 PM
"Sleep the Clock Around" by Belle & Sebastian.

Northern Piper
07-23-2008, 11:49 PM

To get away from the noiseAnd how does posting a tired, lame and insulting joke help to answer the OP's interesting question?

If you've got nothing of any value to contribute, why don't you just stay out of the thread?

Me, I was going to mention Mull of Kintyre, and would also second Invisible Wombat's mention of Enter the Haggis - they're a great rock - piping band.

St. Urho
07-24-2008, 01:37 AM
One of my favorites is the version of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry by Me First & The Gimme Gimmes. A Hank Williams song performed by a punk band accompanied by a bagpipe. It doesn't get much better than that :cool:

phil417
07-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Not exactly a "rock song", but how about Michael W. Smith's This Was Her Time (written originally for Cassie Bernall, one of the Columbine High School victims. According to court transcripts, one of the shooters asked Cassie, "Do you believe in God?" Cassie answered, "Yes." They killed her.)

The bagpipe begins about halfway through the song & comes in strong at the end. http://youtube.com/watch?v=blQrlj1cJSU

Great song. Love, Phil

CrowJane
07-24-2008, 07:05 AM
If anyone here likes Japrock, there's a fantastic track by Ghost called 'Caledonia', which has got loads of bagpipes on it.

Kolga
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
In addition to the nice list posted by Invisible Wombat (I especially second the Enter The Haggis recommendation), some of the songs from Seven Nations and The Elders are good choices, although earlier SN stuff might be a bit more traditional than rock.

Voyager
07-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Tattoo by Mike Oldfield, on Tubular Bells II.
EgyptLand (or We're all Working for the Pharaoh) by Richard Thompson on Amnesia.

And here's a list (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070926193850AAUIDpg) I found while checking that bagpipes really were used on those songs.

Angel of the Lord
07-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I was going to say, the Subway to Sally remix of The Crüxshadows' "Winterborn" has lots of tasty pipes.

I'd also recommend the first track on The Dropkick Murphys' first album, Do or Die.

Gary Robson
07-24-2008, 07:03 PM
In addition to the nice list posted by Invisible Wombat (I especially second the Enter The Haggis recommendation)...This isn't germane to the discussion, but I can't resist pointing out that Enter the Haggis is not only a really talented group, but they're really nice people. I introduced them at a concert last year and had dinner with them before the show. My only complaint was that they didn't wear kilts when they performed. ;)

NOTE TO THOSE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE BAND: Do *NOT* base your opinion of Enter the Haggis on one song! They cover and blend over a dozen genres and they're impossible to classify, so experience a bunch of their work before deciding whether you like them.

MadTheSwine
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
And how does posting a tired, lame and insulting joke help to answer the OP's interesting question?

If you've got nothing of any value to contribute, why don't you just stay out of the thread?

Sorry to offend.

Northern Piper
07-24-2008, 09:11 PM
My only complaint was that they didn't wear kilts when they performed. ;)
When i saw them, they were performing at the Scottish pavilion at the local multicultural fest, and they were kilted, with t-shirts and boots.

Shamozzle
07-25-2008, 12:40 AM
How about Copperhead Road? There are bagpipes in that wicked-ass tune, aren't there?

pulykamell
07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Wow. I was going to chime in with both the Big Country and Church song, only to learn that not only are neither bagpipes, but both are e-bowed guitars. I had absolutely no idea!

edit: Actually, now that I listen to it again, Big Country is pretty obviously not bagpipe, but that little bit in "Under the Milky Way" still sounds pretty damn close to bagpipes to me.

NineToTheSky
07-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Wow. I was going to chime in with both the Big Country and Church song, only to learn that not only are neither bagpipes, but both are e-bowed guitars. I had absolutely no idea!

that little bit in "Under the Milky Way" still sounds pretty damn close to bagpipes to me.

Sorry! It really isn't.

Meurglys
07-25-2008, 07:41 AM
At least one of the songs on Tales of the Great Rum Runners by Robert Hunter has him playing pipes on it (not certain it's bagpipes, though) - I think it's Children's Lament, but I could be wrong - it's been a while since I've played the album...

pulykamell
07-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Sorry! It really isn't.

Oh, I'm not expressing doubt. I'm just amazed.

Spoke
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Huh, that's neat. One other thing I discovered on Youtube: the video for "Big Country" did not feature a bagpiper. I could have sworn there was a scene where a little kid is in a room and suddenly a bagpiper wearing a bearskin hat bursts in, in a cloud of smoke.

That was from their video for Fields of Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSrIEPC0Eqw).

Still no actual bagpipe in the song, though.

(And by the way, it vaguely bugs me when people call Big Country a one-hit wonder in the US market. "Fields of Fire" also made the charts here.)

DLuxN8R-13
07-26-2008, 04:50 PM
"March Or Die" by Motorhead.

Horatio Hellpop
07-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Does Paul Simon's The Boxer have bagpipes?

RiverRunner
07-28-2008, 10:19 AM
It isn't exactly rock music, but Rare Air (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km8pFVC9ImM) has some neat stuff.

RR

NineToTheSky
07-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Does Paul Simon's The Boxer have bagpipes?
I've listened closely, and I don't think so. There's no bagpipe player listed in the credits.

AHunter3
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I think Pink Floyd's "Chapter 24" from Piper at the Gates of Dawn has bagpipes, but when I advanced-google "bagpipes" + "pink floyd" + "chapter 24" I get a zillion hits not one of which seems to contain the word "bagpipes" (go figure).

So no confirmation. Could by synthy stuff that just sounds like bagpipes.

Cluricaun
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM

That high pitched noise, while probably possible with bag pipes is actually a piccolo trumpet hit. I think they show a piper in the video, but the majority of that whole song is sampled from the song "Harlem Shuffle" by Bob and Earl.

jayjay
07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
That high pitched noise, while probably possible with bag pipes is actually a piccolo trumpet hit. I think they show a piper in the video, but the majority of that whole song is sampled from the song "Harlem Shuffle" by Bob and Earl.

I think there's a short sample of pipes that's constantly repeated as a backing track. It's not the high-pitched part, but the drone underneath everything. I'll admit that my first reaction was to think "WTF is she thinking?" when Guin posted that (because I didn't remember any bagpipes in it when it first came out), but after listening to it a couple of times, I think she's right.

NineToTheSky
07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I think Pink Floyd's "Chapter 24" from Piper at the Gates of Dawn has bagpipes, but when I advanced-google "bagpipes" + "pink floyd" + "chapter 24" I get a zillion hits not one of which seems to contain the word "bagpipes" (go figure).

So no confirmation. Could by synthy stuff that just sounds like bagpipes.
I hate to be the constant party pooper, but no, no bagpipes here. Definitely.

Walker in Eternity
07-30-2008, 01:51 PM
At least one track on Blackout in the Red Room (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_in_the_Red_Room) by Love/Hate has bagpipes on if I recall correctly. Although it has been a while since I listened to it.