PDA

View Full Version : Things you have a difficult time doing, that most other people donīt.

Frustrated Wonderer
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I feel the need to start a thread with this rather weird topic. On a normal work day, I do some computer work, check up on certain products and other boring buisness stuff.

But one thing I hate doing, that I have to do sometimes is talking to people by the phone. When I have to talk buisness related issues by phone, I have to concentrate extra hard, and sometimes (more than I would like) I get nervous and I say the wrong things. Iīve improved on this somewhat, but I still hate it and I still struggle with this relatively easy, mundane thing to do.

Most people I talk to look at me in weird way when I say that phone talking is hard for me to do.

So, Dopers, what "thing" or action do you struggle with, that most other people do with ease?

Gestalt
09-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Parallel Parking.

Freaking keys man . . . surriously . . . It takes me forever to figure out which direction to turn and how many times. And I'm easily confused, even with keys I use often, like my main house key.

Balance. I fall/stumble quite a bit.

That being said, I tend to be a little better than some people in endurance activities, like running or biking.

Gestalt

Otto
09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Leaving the house on weekends.

I sometimes fear I'm going to turn agorophobic and wind up with 15 cats.

flodnak
09-08-2008, 11:20 AM
I also have issues talking with people on the phone. If I absolutely have to call up a stranger to ask for information or what have you, I have to rehearse what I want to say ahead of time. Thank ghod for email.

I also have great difficulty wrapping presents. It's a vicious spiral: the harder it gets, the more I hate it; and the more I hate it, the harder it gets....

WhyNot
09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Talking on the phone for me, as well. Even something as simple as ordering a pizza used to be a sweat soaked phobic nightmare. It was part and parcel of my (diagnosed) anxiety disorder, and the remnant of it that's remained despite mostly being in remission. I've gotten to the point where ordering food usually isn't a problem (although restaurants with online ordering get my business 98% of the time), but calling customer service or a business type call or making a doctor's appointment for my kid? Excruciating, no joke.

The other thing is making instant pudding. Whether I shake or stir or use a hand mixer, I still end up with leathery bits in my instant pudding. I can make a pudding from scratch with no problem, though!

Annie-Xmas
09-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Walking down stairs. A very hard time. If I'm at the top of an escalator when the electricity goes off, I'll be stuck because I cannot walk down an escalator.

iampunha
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I hate and have genuine trouble with:

handwriting
the phone
accepting gifts
being acknowledged for giving gifts
respecting childish (in the sense of prone to temper tantrums) adults
not directly addressing untalked-about interpersonal issues ("and he does that because he has to win something in that situation")
reading just to read
accepting flaws in things I do deliberately and carefully

bouv
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Another phone hater here. I'm find face-to-face, but for some reason bring on the phone with someone I don't know is Hell most of the time. Which really sucks because I have a phone interview for a job later today, and another one tomorrow. :eek::(

RunSilent
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I also find phone conversations difficult and uncomfortable. I also am uncomfortable in essentially all social situations.... 61 years of social phobia :(

Gestalt
09-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I hate and have genuine trouble with:

handwriting
the phone
accepting gifts
being acknowledged for giving gifts
respecting childish (in the sense of prone to temper tantrums) adults
not directly addressing untalked-about interpersonal issues ("and he does that because he has to win something in that situation")
reading just to read
accepting flaws in things I do deliberately and carefully

oooh, I have terrible penmanship as well! It's wholly inconsistent.

Gestalt

purple haze
09-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Sometimes I have a hard time pronouncing certain words, like 'thorough', entrepreneur, anything with -th, (like thousandth, Worcestershire, and so on.

My mom is left-handed, and she still finds it difficult to quickly tell left from right; she has to think about it for a moment. My daughter is left-handed and did the same thing for years, until just recently (she is 19). I always told her that isn't a big deal, because that's just what southpaws are like sometimes.

I would have been a lefty, but my kindergarten teacher kept putting the pencil in my right hand. And the scissors. Heck, there weren't even any left-handed scissors easily available when I was in kindergarten.

Geez, I'm old. :(

Freudian Slit
09-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Directions--like right/left.

Whistling.

Dung Beetle
09-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I also had the phone phobia, but this job forced me to overcome it. When I answer the phone here, the first word out of my mouth is "Diagnostic". In the beginning, I concentrated on the first syllable of that word, and imagined I was telling every caller what I wished they would do, rather than call me. Corny, but it did help me remember my scripted greeting, and once the call had begun, I'd get through it.

What do I not do as well? Stand up for myself. I will not be confronting anyone, thank you. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a weenie.

Hypno-Toad
09-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Acting interested in what others are saying to me. Really. I'm terrible at not showing just how soul-scraping it is to listen to you talk about your weekend. If you're not prepared to listen to ME pontificate at length on MY favorite subjects, get lost. But it's not all bad news. I am shallow enough to put up with you if you're hot. But only to a point.

eleanorigby
09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Making change over $1.00. By that I mean I can make change up to a dollar, but if it's $1.12 or $4.38, I'm lost. I know, I know--I still have to really think about it.

doing percentages in my head. Essentially, I have to 10% and then either half that or double it etc. Trying to find 30% off in my head doesn't work.

Adding 3 digit numbers in my head or subtracting them, if it involves carrying. Same with division or multiplication.

Anyone see a trend here? I do. :(

reading musical notes on a page and translating them into notes played on any instrument. I can tell you that's a C or whatever, but my brain doesn't communicate that to my fingers well.

People who thrive on busy amaze me. "Well, we'll run downtown and pick up that X you wanted and I want to look at shoes, then get a spot of lunch at this new place and I want to take you over to that new art gallery--it's not too far from lunch, only about a 40 minute drive, then we have to meet the rest of the gang at the museum for that one exhibit that is just so good and then we have time for drinks at that great new bar that opened up, just 30 minutes away from where we're going to dinner! After dinner, we'll all relax by taking in that new show that got good reviews."

This is some people's one weekend day. Any ONE of those activities would be enough for me for a whole week. I am one boring person.... :(

Now I'm depressed.

Agent Foxtrot
09-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I've always had a very difficult time picking up on nonverbal cues. Fortunately, if people know me long enough, they realize it's just part of who I am and accept me in spite of it.

NinjaChick
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Talking to people and asking for advice. I'm beginning work on my senior thesis, which at this point basically involves talking to various professors about the topics I'm trying to narrow down, getting their opinions on them and feeling out possible advisers. To me, this is incredibly stressful. I'm the type of person who is mildly uncomfortable sending an email to someone outside my circle of knowns; actually sitting down face-to-face with someone literally makes me sweat.

I can't do mental math: I'm just missing whatever makes it intuitive to some people. In a class this morning I actually asked why, in the final equation for something, the constant changed from 16 to 32. "Because it's for the effect of both coils" was the answer, which took a minute to make sense to me.

Also, getting up in the morning. My father can pop right out of bed at 6 or 7 AM and be ready to greet the day, whereas if I'm getting up before 7:30, there'd best be a damn good reason and a whole lot of caffeine to get me there.

Laudenum
09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Another vote for simple phone conversation here.

I rehearse all my calls beforehand.

Anne Neville
09-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I've always had a very difficult time picking up on nonverbal cues. Fortunately, if people know me long enough, they realize it's just part of who I am and accept me in spite of it.

I can't do that, either. As a result, I'd rather talk on the phone than face-to-face, because there at least I'm only missing tone-of-voice type cues. I used to be told "look at me when I'm talking to you" all the time as a kid, because I couldn't pick up nonverbal cues like facial expressions, so looking at someone didn't tell me anything their words didn't, so what's the point of looking at them? I eventually trained myself to do it, but it still isn't natural for me, and I don't pick up any cues from doing it. I won't notice if someone is or isn't making eye contact with me, for example.

I also have a terrible time with any kind of spatial problem- "will this pot be big enough for this amount of stuff" or "will this fit into this box" without actually checking.

I only learned in the last few years (I'm 33) that some people can hear a note sung or played and know what note it is. I can't do that. I also have no idea how anyone ever knows what key someone is singing in- I can't tell.

Reading handwriting- any handwriting, good or bad. I read typed text faster than most people (Mr. Neville says much faster than most people), but I have a very hard time reading anything handwritten unless it is printed.

I'm reluctant to walk down stairs if I can't look at my feet- I'm afraid I'll put one in the wrong place and fall if I don't.

Sigmagirl
09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I can do business-type phone calls just fine, when there's a point to the call. But when people call just to talk? I'm hopeless. They just want to . . . chat! About stuff! Their personal lives and ask me about mine! No, I'm no good at that.

State your business annnnnd goodbye.

Lucretia
09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Finding my way around. I know people joke about not having a sense of direction, but I really, seriously have none. I've been in my current town for over a year, and am just now figuring out how to get around. Thank og for GPSs, it's really amazing how much more independent and less anxious I am with one. I tell people it's my prosthetic sense of direction.

Student Driver
09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm learning this semester that I have difficulty saying the word "statistics." There's not only a family trait of lisping on esses (sometimes with a slight whistle!) that becomes exaggerated when I say the word, and I also stumble over the syllables. "Shhtashhhtictishh."

I also find it difficult to run lots of errands, kind of like eleanorigby's thing of not getting how people thrive on busy. People always act amazed when they find out I juggle school/teaching/full-time work, but I imagine their amazement is due to the fact that they think I'm cramming errands in there as well. I'm not. It's a busy week when I get my hair cut and shop for groceries; if I have to mail a package, too, my week is just shot. And I'm like that when school is out.

InappropriateHumor
09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I got a ton of 'em, including some already mentioned. In reverse order:

Sigmagirl - me too. Waddaya mean you just called to chat? I saw you not two days ago, I got nothin' else to say.

NinjaChick - I can't do mental math very well either. Other people just reel off answers to everyday math problems while I'm still trying to take off my shoes. (the better to count, you see)

eleanorigby - yeah, the hell with that rushing around all the time thing. I have books to read.

Dung Beetle - I also am a wimp most of the time, but I range into assertive territory often enough to throw everyone, including myself, off their game.

Freudian Slit - ditto right/left and whistling. I mean I know right from left, it's just under pressure when my mind takes a little side-trip.

To add some of my own: finger snapping, hairstyling. I have more to list, but no more time.

If anybody ever feels inadequate, just talk to me and you'll feel better. Just not via telephone.

Simmerdown
09-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I am rarely able to line the car up properly to the automatic car wash tracks. The attendants hate me. Otherwise I am a good driver. Parallel parking not a problem.

I panic at drive-throughs, especially if it's a place I don't often visit and don't know the menu, or if I'm ordering for a bunch of people. I prefer to order inside.

freekalette
09-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Phone calls bug me too. (Interesting trend....) I can only call a hnadful of people - my parents, husband, ex, and a few very close friends - without going into full on panic mode. Ordering pizza? Gyah! Only if I'm starving to death. I'm able to make calls when it's needed, like say for a doctor's appointment or something like that, but it makes me sweat and I stutter so bad you can barely understand me. (I, too, rehearse what I'm going to say ahead of time, but it doesn't make the situation any mre bearable.)

This also crosses over into face-to-face meetings a little, if it's a complete stranger. I can't really ask for directions or initiate any kind of conversation with a waiter or hotel clerk. Just the other day I took the kids to the zoo, and it was extremely difficult for me to speak with the ride operators as we were heading onto the rides.

Not really sure why I'm afraid, or even what I am afraid OF, but it's definitely a hassle. :confused: :( :mad:

Hogwash
09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Parallel parking.

Yes, yes, I know about the angles involved. I know how steering from the front (or back, if reversing) affects movement. I know about oversteering, understeering and how you are supposed to correct yourself. I have good spatial awareness and good aim.

I just can't get the damn thing to sit at a reasonable distance from the kerb on the first attempt.

Hazle Weatherfield
09-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Putting on makeup: I can do a passable job, just the basics, but I see these teenage girls and their faces look perfect! How do they do it? It looks totally professional.

Styling my hair. I've been told I have beautiful, thick hair. I have no idea what to do with it. I use no products whatsoever. I've tried, but I just don't get it. I wash, towel-dry and comb. That's it.

Make myself brush and floss my teeth every night: I have such a hard time falling asleep that, once I start to nod, I run with it and hit the bed/couch. When I brush/floss it catapults me right back into wakefulness for at least an hour.

Exercise: I exercise like I diet. I'll be a maniac about it for awhile, but, then, if I miss even one time or take a bite of one wrong thing, then, I'm all fuck it, I've blown it, might as well give up for awhile.

This is depressing...

Creaky
09-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I'll join the I Hate to Talk On the Phone crowd. I am terrible at this. I really just don't want to simply shoot the shit, and it shows because I'm awkward and almost nervous because I just don't want to talk! For me phones are for relaying information. I'm pretty talkative in person, but I get itchy being stuck on the phone. I wouldn't have a cell but I gotta have one for work.

And I too suck at parallel parking. Baltimore is a really tough place to park. All the streets are so small and narrow. Makes me crazy.

Valgard
09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Swimming. I was scared of the water as a kid and learned how to swim my senior year in high school (graduation requirement). I haven't done any recreational swimming in about 20 years. Since triathlons are starting to look attractive I need to get my butt over to the pool, sign up for some "adult beginner" lessons and have at it.

Dancing. I used to go from time to time. Now I suffer from the fear that I look like a complete and utter spaz and the entire place will look at me like they looked at Elaine on Seinfeld. The hottest chick in the world could ask me to dance and I'd be incredibly uncomfortable.

On the plus side I don't have some of the "normal" fears, like speaking in public. I'd get up in front of a Superbowl stadium sized crowd with no problem. Talking on the phone is no big deal either :D

ultrafilter
09-08-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm learning this semester that I have difficulty saying the word "statistics." There's not only a family trait of lisping on esses (sometimes with a slight whistle!) that becomes exaggerated when I say the word, and I also stumble over the syllables. "Shhtashhhtictishh."

I don't lisp, but if I try to say "statistics" without being very careful, I'll stumble on it pretty badly.

3waygeek
09-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Getting laid -- I've been celibate for 22 years. :(

Frustrated Wonderer
09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Damn man, you should consider going to Amsterdam and using one of the government checked women (cough).

garygnu
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I loath the very idea of calling strangers on the phone, or even acquaintances.
I'm fine if they call me, though.

Alice The Goon
09-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Parking.

Not parallel parking. Just parking straight, between two lines.

I'm not stupid- I just have some kind of brain defect that makes me not know where I am, exactly, in space, and makes me not be able to park straight or to tell exactly how far I am from things while driving. I can, of course, tell how far I am from things well enough to avoid hitting or being hit- it's just the parking thing I have trouble with. So from now on, when you see a car that's parked just a little skewed between two lines, please don't automatically think that person is stupid. Maybe they are, in fact, quite intelligent, but with just a little problem in that area.

rolandgunslinger
09-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Whistle using the "Finger" method. Ya know, putting your fingers in you mouth to get that really loud whistle.

Alice The Goon
09-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Whistle using the "Finger" method. Ya know, putting your fingers in you mouth to get that really loud whistle.

Can most people do that? I can't do it, and have only known a few that could.

Capcha
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Count me in for the phone hating, I'll add:
Recognizing names/ faces. I mean, I have a hard time remembering your name, and if i happen to bump into you the next day, i'd have a vague impression to know your face, but it takes me a while to put 2 together.
I drive my sister crazy, when she talks about some actor, i'll need to know what other movies they played. Or even dish names, for some it's the nth time i ask what is '...' dish? She'll have to tell me the ingredients.

Otto, i also have to force myself to go outside (other than work) I'd rather avoid being around people. Although i get periods where i don't give a fart and run outside.

Silver Tyger
09-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Judging length, volume, distance, time. I hate having to put leftovers away because I never pick the correctly sized container.

Parking. Any of it, but especially parallel.

Neutral Density
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Drawing. I wish I could make nice pictures, just nice little sketches. I'm not interested in painting the next Mona Lisa. I just want to make simple sketches that resemble something. Instead I draw like I'm in Kindergarten.

Good at Photoshop, though.

River Hippie
09-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Calling old friends, relatives or acquaintances that I haven't seen for a while.

Kolga
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
People who thrive on busy amaze me. "Well, we'll run downtown and pick up that X you wanted and I want to look at shoes, then get a spot of lunch at this new place and I want to take you over to that new art gallery--it's not too far from lunch, only about a 40 minute drive, then we have to meet the rest of the gang at the museum for that one exhibit that is just so good and then we have time for drinks at that great new bar that opened up, just 30 minutes away from where we're going to dinner! After dinner, we'll all relax by taking in that new show that got good reviews."

Are you friends with the guy I'm dating? Because I swear this is him, and the friends he has that I don't already know. And it's like he and they never allot enough time for any of the things, so they end up spending twice as long picking up X because parking is bad and traffic is backed up, and then dithering over shoes because there's a two-for-one sale and look those are half off and aren't these fun?, and lunch takes forever because the new place is packed so when lunch comes we have to bolt it down, and the art gallery and museum exhibit end up getting rushed through (at an almost literal run), and drinks get thrown back quickly and we walk in the show 30 minutes late.

Once was enough of that crap. I have difficulty shifting attention that quickly - I like spending thoughtful time at art galleries and museums, and enjoying the delicious lunch, and having good conversations over drinks, and not always looking at my watch and saying "we gotta move on to the next thing!"

So that's my thing - I have difficulty always wanting to move on to the next thing. THIS thing that I'm doing right now is pretty fun and I want to spend some time doing it BEFORE I move on, thanks.

pandNH4
09-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Keeping track of small things for me. I've misplaced my wallet, phone a dozen times this month, and I just found my passport this morning in some pants pockets :eek:

Hyperelastic
09-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't like calling people on the phone either. I don't mind answering the phone, but I don't like being the caller. If I have to do it a lot, I get used to it, but I hardly do it at all anymore, so it makes me all anxious. If my only job option was telemarketing, hello starvation.

But I am better at phoning people than throwing a goddamned frisbee. I can throw a ball perfectly well, but my frisbee throws always wind up about a parsec to the left or right. The frisbee is too sensitive to the tilt angle when you release it.

eleanorigby
09-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Are you friends with the guy I'm dating? Because I swear this is him, and the friends he has that I don't already know. And it's like he and they never allot enough time for any of the things, so they end up spending twice as long picking up X because parking is bad and traffic is backed up, and then dithering over shoes because there's a two-for-one sale and look those are half off and aren't these fun?, and lunch takes forever because the new place is packed so when lunch comes we have to bolt it down, and the art gallery and museum exhibit end up getting rushed through (at an almost literal run), and drinks get thrown back quickly and we walk in the show 30 minutes late.

Once was enough of that crap. I have difficulty shifting attention that quickly - I like spending thoughtful time at art galleries and museums, and enjoying the delicious lunch, and having good conversations over drinks, and not always looking at my watch and saying "we gotta move on to the next thing!"

So that's my thing - I have difficulty always wanting to move on to the next thing. THIS thing that I'm doing right now is pretty fun and I want to spend some time doing it BEFORE I move on, thanks.

YES. I think they suck at time management or something. Or else they feel that unless they're so busy, the day has been wasted. Ack-I start to hyperventilate just reading your post. I will never be like that. I can barely hear about other people's forays into mindless rushing about...

I also cannot put on makeup so that it looks great. I either put too much on and don't blend it (and look like a clown) or I put too little on and it disappears in an hour. Luckily, I don't need much makeup. Heh. :D

Fiona_Greenlee
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a tough time remembering the names of streets yet somehow I rarely get lost. :confused:

abbeytxs
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Making sense.

It all sounds good in my head.

freekalette
09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Making sense.

It all sounds good in my head.

Oh, yeah. Me too.

And then I try to explain furhter, an it all just sorta devolves into subtle metaphors, until I start thinking I'm crazy and nobody could ever understand what I originally meant.

Does that make sense??:D

Sleeps With Butterflies
09-08-2008, 08:34 PM
When someone gives their year of birth I have to really think to figure out how old they are. DUMB! For some reason, it just messes me up.

Also, I am terrible at keeping matching socks together. I am ashamed to admit I have a little basket of mismatched socks that I try to sit down and straighten out from time to time. I make progress, but sometimes I just throw a bunch away and start fresh.

Ok, that was embarrassing.

Mahna Mahna
09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Ditto on faces and names. It'll usually take me several tries before I can remember someone's name without some prompting, and if I see someone out of the context I'd usually see them in, there's a 50/50 chance I won't recognize them unless they're a good friend. As dorky as they are, I am totally in LOVE with nametags because they solve both of these problems for me.

(strangely enough, though, I'm ridiculously good at remembering other ridiculously useless facts like places, dates and events)

Video games that involve shooting and/or driving are another one. I'm not just bad at them... I'm so embarassingly awful that I rarely make it past the first level.

Oh, and I can't tell right from left unless I look at my hands and do the make-an-L-with-the-index-and-thumb trick.

LifeOnWry
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
On the recognition thing, I can't recognize people from photos until after I know them. Send me a photo of someone and then put me in a room with them and a couple other people and ask me to pick out whose photo I just saw? It'll never happen (unless there's some REALLY singular identifying quality, like they're the only redhead in the room or something like that.) If I have met someone casually, I can sometimes pick them out in a photo, but not always. If I know someone well, it's not a problem at all.

I can't braid my own hair, though I can do a couple different fancy-ish braids on other people. And I can't manage a curling iron without really working on it, because (this is so embarrassing) the mirror throws me off. I end up turning the curling iron the wrong way because it looks like the right way in the mirror. I have to get my hair into the grabber thingie, then close my eyes and THINK which way to turn.

Mahaloth
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Directions

I need a map with specific directions to get anywhere. I can not simply, "go on this expressway to that expressway and get off at this road and go toward that road."

I need specific, point by point directions or I'm screwed.

And I need them everytime, until I make the trip at least 20 times.

:(

Alice The Goon
09-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Directions

I need a map with specific directions to get anywhere. I can not simply, "go on this expressway to that expressway and get off at this road and go toward that road."

I need specific, point by point directions or I'm screwed.

And I need them everytime, until I make the trip at least 20 times.

:(

Oh, yeah? Well, my friends and family all know that if we're at a restaurant, and I go to the bathroom and don't return within 15 minutes, that they'll need to go looking for me because I am lost. In the restaurant.

BrassyPhrase
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
This is pretty interesting.

I have massive phone phobia.
Here's the fun odd thing--I'm great on the phone. I'm pushing forty and was a latchkey child in the day. My mom drilled into me correct phone protocol when I called her work to say I was home.
And it's paid off at work. I can call numbers and ask dumb questions, b/c I know how to do the whole phone voice, nice questions, etc. (Some is stuff I just learned--"hi, I'm asking a dumb question and I don't know if you're the person to ask it".)

When I did I have a home phone? Back in the day before almost everyone went to cell phones...I would have massive panic attacks when I got phone calls. Then there was caller ID. And it was better.

But it is still hard as hell for me to call anyplace for the first time.

And most of my aunts/uncles have phone phobia.

I also do horrible with left/right without thinking.

Debon Err
09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Also, I am terrible at keeping matching socks together. I am ashamed to admit I have a little basket of mismatched socks that I try to sit down and straighten out from time to time. I make progress, but sometimes I just throw a bunch away and start fresh.

I just did that yesterday!

Ponch8
09-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm very bad at ice skating. Also, when I ride my bicycle, I have a very hard time balancing unless my left hand stays on the handlebar at all times.

Pyper
09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Chiming in on the phone thing. (I guess it's not so unusual after all!) For triple bonus points, imagine calling up dozens of strangers in a foreign country in your non-native language! I had to do this while apartment hunting in Spain. Total sweaty mess by the end of each phone call.

Also, I have trouble with left and right. When people ask me "which direction?" I often say the wrong one. I can clearly picture which direction I want them to go, I just get the labels mixed up. Strangely, I have an excellent natural sense of direction- I never feel lost because I can orient myself north/south/east/west.

WarmNPrickly
09-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I can't sip hard liquor. It doesn't matter how high quality the liquor is. Hand me a five thousand dollar glass of fine scotch and I will wretch at the slightest taste. If I take a sip you will see me convulsivly swallow in repeated attempts to keep it down. Inevitably, it and everything I'd had to eat in the past hour comes back up.

In order to drink good scotch it MUST be diluted fifty fifty with water in addition to ice.

Kyla
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
On the recognition thing, I can't recognize people from photos until after I know them. Send me a photo of someone and then put me in a room with them and a couple other people and ask me to pick out whose photo I just saw? It'll never happen (unless there's some REALLY singular identifying quality, like they're the only redhead in the room or something like that.) If I have met someone casually, I can sometimes pick them out in a photo, but not always. If I know someone well, it's not a problem at all.

Same here. I'm bad at all facial recognition, too. Basically, everyone looks the same to me until I get to know them. Well, not everyone, but I have gotten people who have really only superficial similarities mixed up, which is hugely embarrassing.

Bizarrely, after I do get to know the people, they look perfectly distinct and I wonder how I could have ever had that problem. When I met one of my best friends, she was one of two stage managers for a play I was in. Both she and the other stage manager had long brown hair and brown eyes and I got them mixed up repeatedly. After she and I became friends...no problem. They looked nothing alike anymore.

Add me to the list of the directionally-impaired. I need to know a place REALLY well before I stop getting lost constantly. I have a terrible time forming a visual image of a street system - it's so bad that I lived in Chicago for a year before the grid system made sense to me. (Chicago is built on a grid. The 0/0 point of the grid is downtown, at State and Madison, and the address system radiates out from there. For some reason I couldn't picture this in my head until I'd seen the grid points on the El signs whiz past me for a year.)

I used to have terrible telephone phobia. I got over it by pretending I didn't. I'm not sure exactly how, but it worked for me. I guess I psyched myself into thinking I'm a confident person.

Goblin Queen
09-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi, I'm a lefty, and I have trouble telling left from right. The teachers never tried to switch me, but the fun little mnemonic we got in kindergarten was "The RIGHT hand is the hand you WRITE with. Oh, except you, Goblin Queen." It's fifty-fifty whether I'll turn the correct way when driving if you tell me directions that must be followed IMMEDIATELY or we'll miss our turn!

Doing the upside-down hands as glasses thing. I finally figured it out thanks to watching a boatload of David Bowie live performances on youtube, but I couldn't figure it out for a while.

I have trouble riding a bike. I always fall off when I try to stop. Everything in my life is perforce walking distance or driving distance. No bikes. I would ride a tricycle for adults if it wouldn't be so totally lame...

But despite all these things, I CAN understand spacetime diagrams fairly well, which I guess was a problem for a lot of people at the end of last semester.

LifeOnWry
09-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Bizarrely, after I do get to know the people, they look perfectly distinct and I wonder how I could have ever had that problem. When I met one of my best friends, she was one of two stage managers for a play I was in. Both she and the other stage manager had long brown hair and brown eyes and I got them mixed up repeatedly. After she and I became friends...no problem. They looked nothing alike anymore.

Yep! And I even experienced this with a set of identical twins. I couldn't tell them apart for YEARS, and then suddenly I could, and now I look at them and think, "how the heck did I get them confused??" They still look very much alike, I can just see the small differences well enough now that I can't believe I didn't notice them sooner.

CAT=^..^=
09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
I also have trouble saying a few words. The ones that trip me up the most are
Conscience, and Conscious. I always have to stop and think before I say them, and even then usually spit and sputter them out!

Green Cymbeline
09-09-2008, 01:02 AM
I can't wake up in the morning. I've had this problem since I was a child. Getting out of bed is the hardest thing I do each day. If I need to be somewhere early, it is like torture. I have to set my alarm an hour ahead of time so that I can hit snooze 5 times, and even then it's hard to get up.

I also have a very hard time going to bed early. See a trend here? I am a night owl, and I can't go to sleep unless I am good and ready, which is rarely before 1 or 2 am.

tesseract
09-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Same here. I'm bad at all facial recognition, too. Basically, everyone looks the same to me until I get to know them. Well, not everyone, but I have gotten people who have really only superficial similarities mixed up, which is hugely embarrassing.

Add me to the list of the directionally-impaired. I need to know a place REALLY well before I stop getting lost constantly. I have a terrible time forming a visual image of a street system - it's so bad that I lived in Chicago for a year before the grid system made sense to me. (Chicago is built on a grid. The 0/0 point of the grid is downtown, at State and Madison, and the address system radiates out from there. For some reason I couldn't picture this in my head until I'd seen the grid points on the El signs whiz past me for a year.) I have both these problems. Do you know there's a name for the face thing? It's called prosopagnosia (face blindness). Great site here. http://www.prosopagnosia.com (http://www.prosopagnosia.com/) I've probably posted about it before. Anyway, I was ecstatic to put a name to this cause of social awkwardness. People get amazingly offended that you don't recognize them -- it's great to have an actual scientific name for what you have. Also, it's related to the directional thing apparently -- often people with prosopagnosia have trouble with directions. Have you asked around in your family? Usually someone else has it too. I made an announcement at a family reunion, describing my symptoms and asking if anyone else had it. One of my aunts was ecstatic to realize that her problem had a name. One of my brothers has it too.

Azhure
09-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Small talk. I suck at it. People at work will ask 'how was your weekend?' and I'll say something like 'fine thanks' and stop there. Only afterwards do I remember what I'm supposed to say after 'fine thanks' is 'how was yours?' :smack: I can talk fine on a specific topic, but with random small talk no matter how hard I try conversation always stutters to a halt.

Drinking shots. I watch other people take a shot, just pouring it straight down their throat - can't do it! I have to pour the shot into my mouth and then swallow, which usually means I end up gulping it awkwardly down (which sometimes leads to the awkward 'well, this tastes bad. Too late though - can't really politely spit it out so gulp it down! :p)

Talking on the phone... well I'm not keen on it, but I can make calls without too much drama. I MUCH prefer email though. I do know where the phone problem started for me - working in a call centre. Did not want to answer the phone at home after answering it all day!

Lucretia
09-09-2008, 03:38 AM
I have both these problems. Do you know there's a name for the face thing? It's called prosopagnosia (face blindness). Great site here. http://www.prosopagnosia.com (http://www.prosopagnosia.com/) I've probably posted about it before. Anyway, I was ecstatic to put a name to this cause of social awkwardness. People get amazingly offended that you don't recognize them -- it's great to have an actual scientific name for what you have. Also, it's related to the directional thing apparently -- often people with prosopagnosia have trouble with directions. Have you asked around in your family? Usually someone else has it too. I made an announcement at a family reunion, describing my symptoms and asking if anyone else had it. One of my aunts was ecstatic to realize that her problem had a name. One of my brothers has it too.

This is fascinating...because in addition to the directional thing, I also have an issue with recognizing people. In my case, it's made worse by the fact that I work in an operating room, and half the time all I see of people is their eyes and forehead. Oh sure, we have nametags, but they're covered up by the surgical gown!

To make it worse, part of my job is documenting the names of all the people in the room. It can be really embarassing to have to ask the tech or surgeon for what I know is the 10th time what their name is. If I'm lucky, there is a circulating tech, too, and I can ask them the names on the sly, so at least I don't have to announce it to the room.

Martini Enfield
09-09-2008, 06:10 AM
I can't taste any difference between different varieties of table wine.

As far as I'm concerned, table wine comes in two types: red and white.

I cannot tell or taste the difference between a Shiraz or a Merlot or a Cabernet Sauvignon, and I sure as hell cannot taste any of the "subtle hints of berries/liquorice/coffee/chocolate/something else that isn't grape" that Wine Connoisseurs comment upon at length in the tasting notes. It all tastes the same to me. I can taste the difference between red wine and white wine, but that's as far as it goes.

WhyNot
09-09-2008, 06:54 AM
I have both these problems. Do you know there's a name for the face thing? It's called prosopagnosia (face blindness).
Holy shit, I think that might be it! Of course, I might just be falling prey to internet self diagnosis here, but for years I've thought my "can't remember people" thing went further than most people's troubles in the area. But that stone analogy is perfect: three or four stones, and I was okay, but more than that and I felt the same panic I feel when there's a group of people that I know I know, but I don't know who anyone is.

For example, do you think most people would be able to recognize a Doper they've (in the past year) sat next to and chatted with twice for dinner in a group, been to their house thrice, been on IM with about once a week for three months and then went to pick up on the train? Yeah, I couldn't for the life of me have recognized Blue_Kangaroo walking down the sidewalk. And not 'cause I don't adore her - I do! And not 'cause we don't have a connection - we do! But just because faces and the names that go with them don't stick in my head. I was so relieved when she smiled and said hi and held her arms out for a hug, 'cause I would have let her walk right by me.

I know for a fact that I've hurt people I really care about by "ignoring them," when in fact I just didn't know or wasn't sure who they were. :( I hate doing that, but nothing seems to help - I've tried the nmemonics and memory tricks and even taking pictures of everyone and making flash cards. Doesn't help.

ETA: I wonder how much of my anxiety disorder is actually due to the stress of this, in fact. I think a whole lot of it.

Chanteuse
09-09-2008, 07:18 AM

Ok, that was embarrassing.

I do the exact same thing!

GuanoLad
09-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Swimming. It seems to be a skill that eludes me.

Luckily I hate being in water anyway, so it's no great loss.

panache45
09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Another problems-with-phones guy here. The phone will ring. My Caller ID tells me who's calling. I sit here and listen to the person leaving a message. Then I'll agonize over the task of calling them back. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day, or never.

And here's a weird one: I hate saying my own full name. For some reason no matter how much I try it doesn't come out right, and people think it's something else.

And cooking: I'm incapable of cooking an entire meal, and have everything get done at roughly the same time. And when cooking something with multiple ingredients, like stew, I never remember which ingredients take longer to cook. So some ingredients turn out overcooked, and others are still raw.

I also cannot motivate myself to do housework on a regular basis. I'll wait till things get really bad, then try to do it all at once.

Anne Neville
09-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Ditto on faces and names. It'll usually take me several tries before I can remember someone's name without some prompting, and if I see someone out of the context I'd usually see them in, there's a 50/50 chance I won't recognize them unless they're a good friend. As dorky as they are, I am totally in LOVE with nametags because they solve both of these problems for me.

I'm terrible with faces and names, too. One thing I loved about one of my jobs was that everyone had to wear a name badge.

It takes me a long time to get to the point where I can consistently remember someone's name when I see them. If I see someone infrequently, like only once a year at a family reunion, I might never remember their name. I'm anxious about socializing, and this really doesn't help.

I can't usually follow black and white movies, because I need things like hair color as a cue to who's who. Especially since men in those movies so often dress alike, they all look the same to me.

Video games that involve shooting and/or driving are another one. I'm not just bad at them... I'm so embarassingly awful that I rarely make it past the first level.

I'm terrible at those, too. And I spent a lot of time in high school playing them. Proof that practice doesn't always make perfect...

I also cannot motivate myself to do housework on a regular basis. I'll wait till things get really bad, then try to do it all at once.

Same here. You know how guys stereotypically don't notice dirt around the house until it's really bad? I'm like that, too. We've solved that problem by having someone come in every two weeks. At least that way things can only get so bad.

Spice Weasel
09-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Adding and subtracting in my head. For that matter, any mental math.

I got straight As in math in high school, I got an A- in college Statistics (though I had to work HARD), but ask me 400 - 324 and two out of three times I will answer incorrectly. I don't know why this is so hard for me... the numbers all seem to take on the same characteristics in my head. Like an 8 and a 2 appear to have the same value because of where they're located on a number line (two spaces from either end.) I don't know. I suck at math.

Naturally Oblivious
09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm oblivious to subtle clues. If you want me to do something, or ask me something, you have to be frank about it. Body language, facial expressions, etc, I can't pick up on.

Looking people in the eyes. I find eyeballs to be utterly disgusting, and looking into one makes my skin want to crawl off my bones and hide in a dark corner somewhere.

Talking in general. Between my southern accent, my stutter, and the disconnect between my brain and my mouth*, it makes it difficult for people to understand me.

Following simple directions when it comes to cooking. If I memorize a recipe, I can make it without a problem. If I try to follow a recipe out of a book or on a tv show, I'll mess up. Last time I did this I tried to make a cherry cobbler. What I ended up with was pink cherry flavored bread, with a gooey center, and burnt crust.

*I can be talking, and my mind will just blank on what word I need. I realize that it happens to other people on occasion, but for me it is a regular thing. I'm often times left describing it in simple terms. If you watch Simpsons, you can see Homer do this in the episode where he's trying to lose weight via subliminal messages on tape, near the end when he wants a spoon.

Yorikke
09-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Well, I have a somewhat slight form of MD, so I can't run, and stairs are very hard for me, so there are a lot of mundane physical tasks that I can't do. It's annoying because I don't LOOK "handicapped."

For some reason, I'm fashion-blind. That is, if my wife asks me if two pieces of clothing go together, or if two colors complement each other, I'm paralyzed with fear. She knows now, and doesn't ask much, but I just can't tell that stuff. When I was a kid, I desperately wanted (and eventually got) a hideous outfit I saw at some store - reddish-pink jeans and a bright blue-and-red flannel-type shirt. I must have looked a right twat, but I loved the colors. My eyes hurt just with the memory...

Joe

SaharaTea
09-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Job interviews cause me severe anxiety. They seriously turn me into a nervous wreck, more than anything else I can think of. I hate being put on the spot and feel like they're nitpicking and judging everything I say and do (which probably isn't true but I can't help it). No amount of preparation seems to help. Needless to say, job searches are a nightmare for me.

Agent Foxtrot
09-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Adding this because I'm experiencing it at work right now...

Ear buds. They hurt my ears, and I can't go for more than a few minutes without them falling out. How the heck does anyone wear them? Uncomfortable as all get-out. :(

Nava
09-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Nametags are such a great invention. Labcoats embroidered with your name in the pocket, in clear, dark blue, this big letters.

I can tell you that the guy in the corner booth looks familiar because he was three spots ahead of us in the movies three months ago, when we went to Iron Man. On the other hand, of our dozen team members who stay in Bilbao, I can remember the names of five - and three of those five have the same megacommon name.

I don't like the phone, or Team Speak while in WoW. Not because of themselves, but I seem to have a lot more problems understanding people over them than I do in person. Some people seem to think that talking to their left elbow with their microphone tucked behind their right ear and the local talk show on at full blare is fine: sorry, I. Can't. Hear. You! Yes I do "know English" (better'n'you), yes I "entiendo espaņol" (been speaking it for almost 40 years), but I can't hear you!

eleanorigby
09-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Adding and subtracting in my head. For that matter, any mental math.

I don't know why this is so hard for me... the numbers all seem to take on the same characteristics in my head. Like an 8 and a 2 appear to have the same value because of where they're located on a number line (two spaces from either end.) I don't know. I suck at math.

It's weird because I can see words in my head--words appear to me like in the movies when they zoom in on a typewriter or computer typing. I was a whizz at spelling when I was younger--ok, I won the third grade spelling bee.( No nationals or anything, so I probably wasn't all that good, but anway, I digress), but to line up a column of numbers so that I can subtract them--I literally get lost in the curves of the 8 or the 6 etc. I don't see numbers on a number line--that was hard as hell for me in grammar school (although the negative numbers being on the left of the line stuck with me); I just can't keep the place position of the number AND the value of the number AND its sum or product or whatever in my head at the same time. You would think that since letters have as many random curves as numerals do, that the skill would translate. It does not.

I also suffer badly from name/face stuff. Layer in user names and I'm lost. I have to mumble to myself, "WhyNot is ____. WhyNot's name is ____" at random intervals in order to keep it in my head. That's why I chose a user name that had my own name in it--I wouldn't remember my own.

I thought the dryer ate socks at random--no shame about it. Just hungry dryers. I am always buying new socks (about once a month). I have given up trying to track them.

ETA: ear buds hurt like hell! I bought the ones with the "training wheels" and even those hurt a bit. Gah.

Gail
09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I can never line my car up properly to get in a drive-through car wash. I'm so embarrassed when the car wash guy has to reach in my window and turn my steering wheel for me.
I usually avoid that kind of car wash.

LifeOnWry
09-09-2008, 10:10 AM
I also suffer badly from name/face stuff. Layer in user names and I'm lost. I have to mumble to myself, "WhyNot is ____. WhyNot's name is ____" at random intervals in order to keep it in my head. That's why I chose a user name that had my own name in it--I wouldn't remember my own.

I have a "one-name-per-face" rule. I'm at the Ren faire a lot and getting everyone's character/real names straight is ridiculous, even if you don't already have recognition problems. I don't care WHAT name you give me, but know going in that once I get it, that'll be the only name I know you by.

Which is how I embarrassed myself at a local coffee shop on one of the rare occasions I did make a name-face connection: he walked in with co-workers from his real-life job and I said, "Hey! Lord Strange! How ya doing?"

eleanorigby
09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the laugh! I'm the same way.

InappropriateHumor
09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I can't wake up in the morning. I've had this problem since I was a child. Getting out of bed is the hardest thing I do each day. If I need to be somewhere early, it is like torture. I have to set my alarm an hour ahead of time so that I can hit snooze 5 times, and even then it's hard to get up.

I also have a very hard time going to bed early. See a trend here? I am a night owl, and I can't go to sleep unless I am good and ready, which is rarely before 1 or 2 am.
Geez, me too. I almost wrecked my car pool with this problem. I was causing us to be this close to being late most days. I finally got a local job just so I wouldn't be a pain in the ass to the rest of the group any more. They would probably have murdered me soon, but I couldn't blame them.

I'm seldom eager to get to bed, but once I get there it's the only place I want to be. I'll sleep until the last possible second, then rush around like mad to make it to work on time. I've tried several different strategies to help myself with this, but nothing's worked yet.

I set my clock a little fast and my alarm a lot early, but I'm a crafty one, dammit.

Foxy40
09-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Acting interested in what others are saying to me. Really. I'm terrible at not showing just how soul-scraping it is to listen to you talk about your weekend. If you're not prepared to listen to ME pontificate at length on MY favorite subjects, get lost. But it's not all bad news. I am shallow enough to put up with you if you're hot. But only to a point.

Yeah. I've got this one too. I have to MAKE myself look these people in the eye and nod and smile. Still I am not listening but at least it seems like I am paying attention.

However, I don't care if they are prepared to listen to me. I don't subject people to my boring life saga and I wish people would show me the same courtesy.

Foxy40
09-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Adding this because I'm experiencing it at work right now...

Ear buds. They hurt my ears, and I can't go for more than a few minutes without them falling out. How the heck does anyone wear them? Uncomfortable as all get-out. :(

Me Too. Me Too! Wow, two in a row. I can't use them either and have to use headphones.

I think some ear canals are simply shaped differently or are more shallow and buds simply don't fit comfortably or at all.

BellRungBookShut-CandleSnuffed
09-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Directions--like right/left.

East and west. Why is this such a problem? Always have to do the stupid "never eat shredded wheat" thing.

YoudNeverGuess
09-09-2008, 10:39 AM
- drive. I just haven't got around to learning yet and now the thought makes me nervous. I should have done it when I was younger (I'm in early 30s!) :( :smack:

- complain about bad service. I'm too shy so it has to be REALLY, really bad before I'll say anything and I'm not good at holding out for compensation.

- drink Guinness. It's disgusting (and I'm from Ireland).

- initiate conversation with people I don't know at parties etc. If they talk to me i'll happily yabber on back but I just can't make the first move.

- I don't like calling people on the phone either. Well, it's not that I actively dislike it but I suppose subconsiously I must because people are always asking why they have to call me all the time. I'm good at keeping touch by email though.

- I tried scuba-diving. Just got as far as doing exercises in the pool. Just couldn't do it. The claustrophobia of it - aggh. Nightmare.

- oh and, I have a 'drinking problem' according to Mr YNG. The OH always laughs at me for not being able to breathe while drinking. If I'm really thirsty I'll sip and sip and sip and then afterwards take a big gasp of air as if I've just been underwater or something. I never was aware of that before he mentioned it.

Agent Foxtrot
09-09-2008, 01:20 PM

I also have a very hard time going to bed early. See a trend here? I am a night owl, and I can't go to sleep unless I am good and ready, which is rarely before 1 or 2 am.Chalk me into the "me too" category here as well. Getting up is painful, but not impossible. However, I'm completely unable to go to bed before 12:30am. I've tried lying in bed and forcing myself to sleep, but it never works. I'm exhausted every day at work because of this.

Edit: Oddly enough, on days I don't have to get up early, I can rarely sleep past 8am.

gravitycrash
09-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Typing on a keyboard- it is hunt and peck for me all day baby.

Doing anything without some sort of planning of at least 4 hours in advance.

People who insist on talking about things that they know I have zero interest in. Two of my friends always want to talk to me about their exploits in tracking this big deer for 10 miles through 2' of snow. I'm only exaggerating a little.
A co-worker is a conspiracy nut who will not shut up about it even when I call him out on it. Maybe other people have this problem as well but when my eyes glaze over and I start looking away and start fidgeting, they usually get the message to change the subject.

WhyNot
09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
For those of you with the sock matching problem:

I keep a jar of safety pins by my hamper and pin the dirty socks together at the toes when I take them off. I don't have to match or fold or roll socks - when clean and dry, they just go in my sock drawer in pinned pairs. Before I put them on, the safety pin goes in a jar in my sock drawer.

It sounds like I'm incredibly anal, doesn't it? Nah, it's because I'm such a total slob, really.

GuanoLad
09-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Ear buds. They hurt my ears, and I can't go for more than a few minutes without them falling out. How the heck does anyone wear them? Uncomfortable as all get-out. :(Ear buds aren't supposed to go inside the ear canal. They hook into the outer ear just outside the entrance to the ear canal.

Having said that, you may just have unusually shaped ears.

DocCathode
09-09-2008, 11:46 PM
I am a night owl,

I thought you were a snowy owl.

I have problems:

Getting up in the morning
Matching socks
Getting lost easily
Exercising in public- I'm mortified if another person sees me doing a pushup or lifting weights.

AHunter3
09-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Umm, keeping track of you as an individual person.

::blushes and hides under blanket for awhile::

You see...

a) I do not recall faces. I can usually recall what gender you are, and on a good day can say if you are black or white or asian (but don't rely on it overly much); I will probably not remember if you had hair, let alone what color; I will not be able to say that you did or did not have breasts, let alone what size; I would probably remember if you were not waring clothes or were dressed as a clown or were wearing a snake costume, but aside from that I will not remember what you were wearing if it was, you know, kind of ordinary. As in not batshit insane.

b) I won't remember your name 11 seconds after you tell me your name. You might as well tell me your bank account password, I will remember then for equal amounts of time. I might even recall the password longer, since your name might not be unique.

c) Between the two, trust me, you are a cipher. If it so happens that you gave birth to me some 50ish years ago and I am getting off a plane and expecting you to be there, I will probably recognize you. In that context. I might not be sure it's you if you just pop up out of nowhere, though.

Mostly all creatures who are homo sapiens look pretty much the same. Especially those of the same sex as each other.

I mean, it's not like you folks are very different from each other anyhow, ya know? You seen 9 or 10 homosaps, you seen 'em all.

......... hey, where's everybody going?

::pout in loneliness::

Bam Boo Gut
09-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Put your two hands up as if you were pressing against a wall (or being rude in Greek!) - thumbs out. The first finger and thumb of one of the hands forms an "L" shape - it's your left hand. Once you've got the hang of it you only need to sneek a quick peek. I saw my Art teacher doing this and it changed my life.

I still struggle with giving directions when driving:

Turn left .... no, not that way .. the other left.

Batsinma Belfry
09-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm not great with social situations that involve people I'm likely to have contact with again. Put me in a room full of strangers and I'm okay. It's like I'm afraid if I say/do something stupid, they'll bring it up the next time I see them.

clairobscur
09-10-2008, 01:47 AM
-Tell apart right from left. I've to quickly remember what hand I use for writing. Whatever is on this side is right. The opposite side is left. As a kid, I had to actually move my right hand as if I was writing.

-Whistling. Often tried to learn how to as a kid, never managed to do it.

-Closing my right eye independently of my left eye. I can do the opposite, though.

-Remembering names. I can occasionally have a hard time remembering even the name of colleagues I worked with for years or close relatives like sisters-in-law or nephews. There are very few celebrities I could name if you showed me a picture of them. I could only say : "she's very famous, a Spaniard, and played in that movie". I generally don't call acquaintances by their name, in order to avoid having to tell them for the tenth time : "Sorry, I forgot your name". If needed I try to ask someone else discreetly. Remembering nicknames on a message board is a major hassle. I generally just don't even try. For some reason, it's way easier for me to remember the names of historical figures :confused: .

Martini Enfield
09-10-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm also terrible with names (which is why I'm quite fond of name badges!) but at the same time, in previous jobs with high customer interaction I often used to wear someone else's name badge (or, more commonly, a name badge with a fictitious and slightly silly name such as "Harvey Birdman" or "Arnold Rimmer") on it so it was harder for me to be identified if anyone wanted to complain about me. :D

Sleeps With Butterflies
09-10-2008, 01:57 AM
For those of you with the sock matching problem:

I keep a jar of safety pins by my hamper and pin the dirty socks together at the toes when I take them off. I don't have to match or fold or roll socks - when clean and dry, they just go in my sock drawer in pinned pairs. Before I put them on, the safety pin goes in a jar in my sock drawer.

It sounds like I'm incredibly anal, doesn't it? Nah, it's because I'm such a total slob, really.

I will be doing this starting tomorrow!

Yorikke
09-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Ear buds aren't supposed to go inside the ear canal. They hook into the outer ear just outside the entrance to the ear canal.

Having said that, you may just have unusually shaped ears.

No they don't. They don't hook on to anything, they just fall out of my Martian ears. They just don't work at all for me.

Joe

TroubleAgain
09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Talking on the phone (and I worked helpdesk for a year and a half!:eek: )
Leaving home once I get there (takes blasting powder, practically)
Staying tidy and organized at home (easy at work)
Getting up even one minute before the last possible time to get up and make it to work at a reasonable time
Traveling to unfamiliar places
on edit: Remembering names of newly-introduced people

Sunrazor
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh, gosh, where do I start? Golf? Two-hundred dollars worth of lessons (a birthday gift from my wife to go with the $300 set of clubs from my sons about a decade ago) and I still can't get under the ball. I cannot overcome my deep-seated fear of digging the club into the ground. Just. Can't. Do. It.

Rappelling -- flunked it in Boy Scouts and in the Army.

Map and compass -- speaking of Scouting and Army skills I never mastered, I can't find my own ass with an ass map, let alone navigate raw country with a map and compass. And star charts? Puleeezzz!

There's lots of other stuff, too, but I can't think of it right now.

Kaschua
09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Meh, I probably shouldn't be mentioning this since I'm relatively new as a poster, but I have trouble integrating myself into new groups.

I'm not shy, I'm just not particularly charming. I jokingly tell my husband I have anti-charisma. :D

I also am inept at being cool. I'm klutzy, trip over spoken words, and my laugh is loud and obnoxious. This isn't a problem at home, because my husband annoys people with his laughter too.

I struggle with long good-byes. I am one of those people who, when I want to leave, I want to leave NOW. Probably ties into the former problems. *ahem*

I have trouble with dry wit too. I'm paranoid I'll make a crack about something that's completely serious, so I tend to question dry remarks. Ruins the joke and makes me look like a moron, of course.

Ditto with the parallel parking. When I tested for my license, my attempt was so awful, the woman told me to skip that part, I'd probably never need to parallel park anyway. :o

Also: I can't wink consistently.

eleanorigby
09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
No they don't. They don't hook on to anything, they just fall out of my Martian ears. They just don't work at all for me.

Joe

They don't stay for me, either, which is why I went with the ones that have the hook (the "training wheels") to go over your ear. Even they still hurt a bit, so I'm looking at the narrow ones, not the ones that come with the iPod, but that have small silicone donuts that you insert into your ear.

thesemaybemorecomfortable (http://www.mobilewhack.com/images/Pioneer_1_jpg.jpeg)

hatethese (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/JTrain_07/Headphones/AppleEarbuds.jpg)

trainingwheels, sorta (http://the-gadgeteer.com//assets/alteclansing-uhs307-2.jpg)

Bam Boo Gut
09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Seconding the long goodbye - if you're going - GO!

I only buy white socks and I've maybe realised why.

I'm shite with directions - but I can rewrite a map with a series of arrows and find the place. I don't recognise people - sigh. Or names ... I go - "oh, I'm being rude, please introduce yourselves" to people I've known for 20 years - I can almost feel their names flying away.

I thought I had phone-phobia but actually it's the numbers - my life changed when I got a cell phone and programmed everyone into it.

I'm ace at parking though and I explained my conquering of left and right - at least on my own hands.

Two labourers go for a job - the first one gets through with the interview and explains to his friend - it's easy - he holds up a hand and asks you if it's his left or right hand - simple!
The second bloke goes into the interview, but comes out straight away since the interviewer is washing his hands at the sink in the office.
What's up says the friend? Did you pass?
I can't do it, says the friend - he's shuffling them!

Yorikke
09-11-2008, 12:06 AM
They don't stay for me, either, which is why I went with the ones that have the hook (the "training wheels") to go over your ear. Even they still hurt a bit, so I'm looking at the narrow ones, not the ones that come with the iPod, but that have small silicone donuts that you insert into your ear.

thesemaybemorecomfortable (http://www.mobilewhack.com/images/Pioneer_1_jpg.jpeg)

hatethese (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/JTrain_07/Headphones/AppleEarbuds.jpg)

trainingwheels, sorta (http://the-gadgeteer.com//assets/alteclansing-uhs307-2.jpg)

The first are awful - the specific ones that I hate. The second look interesting. The third I've tried, but just don't stay on my ear. I'll stick with walkman-style headphones, thanks...

Joe

tesseract
09-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Holy shit, I think that might be it! Of course, I might just be falling prey to internet self diagnosis here, but for years I've thought my "can't remember people" thing went further than most people's troubles in the area. But that stone analogy is perfect: three or four stones, and I was okay, but more than that and I felt the same panic I feel when there's a group of people that I know I know, but I don't know who anyone is.

For example, do you think most people would be able to recognize a Doper they've (in the past year) sat next to and chatted with twice for dinner in a group, been to their house thrice, been on IM with about once a week for three months and then went to pick up on the train? Yeah, I couldn't for the life of me have recognized Blue_Kangaroo walking down the sidewalk. And not 'cause I don't adore her - I do! And not 'cause we don't have a connection - we do! But just because faces and the names that go with them don't stick in my head. I was so relieved when she smiled and said hi and held her arms out for a hug, 'cause I would have let her walk right by me.

I know for a fact that I've hurt people I really care about by "ignoring them," when in fact I just didn't know or wasn't sure who they were. :( I hate doing that, but nothing seems to help - I've tried the nmemonics and memory tricks and even taking pictures of everyone and making flash cards. Doesn't help.

ETA: I wonder how much of my anxiety disorder is actually due to the stress of this, in fact. I think a whole lot of it.Yay! I think you sound like the proverbial textbook case. I say "yay" because it really is nice to have a name for it, and you can use it to explain to someone why you have ignored him or her (if you get the chance: sadly enough, we have probably ignored many people and never known it...). It sounds better to say, "I have prosopagnosia" and then explain it than to lamely stutter, "Um, I'm bad with faces..." The site with the rocks and stuff is great -- and it's a great way to explain it to people who don't have it. I would find it easy to believe that an anxiety disorder could stem from this. Now that you know what it is, maybe that will help...

Sigmagirl
09-11-2008, 09:21 AM
You could call off sick with it, too. "I'm sorry I can't come in to work today, boss. I have prosopagnosia."

I plan one day to call off because of my chronic turophilia.