PDA

View Full Version : McCain Offends Spain, or Foreign Policy Genius My Ass

Hentor the Barbarian
09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
John McCain recently gave an interview with someone from the Spanish press, and did not know that their Prime Minister was named Zapatero, and appeared to confuse him with a Latin American leftist. Even after being corrected that the interviewer was talking about Europe, he apparently did not get it.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/217710.php

... I originally gave McCain the benefit of the doubt, thinking that he was just snubbing Zapatero (something that would be welcomed by the Spanish right). [...]

After listening to the interview, however, I agree with the characterization that McCain was unaware of our relations with Spain, or even the country's geographical and political position. When asked about meeting with Zapatero and the country's relationship with the U.S., McCain ignored the question and went into some boilerplate about America's friends and enemies and analyzing relations (think Palin and the Bush Doctrine). Then, he tried to transition his answer into more friendly territory, discussing President Calderon's government in Mexico. He never really addressed Spain, but pushed right into commenting about Mexico. The interviewer actually tried to redirect him several times (again, think Charlie Gibson and Palin), until she actually stated that she wasn't talking about Latin America anymore, but rather Europe. For whatever reason, McCain responded to this question by repeating what he said before about analyzing America's relationships with our friends and enemies.

Can we finally put to rest the idea that this guy knows anything about foreign policy or international relations?

Frank
09-18-2008, 08:30 AM
McCain's thought bubble: Why the hell is this person asking me about Zapata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emiliano_Zapata)?

Bayard
09-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement till I see more of the transcript, but if he confused Zapatero with the Zapatistas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapatista_Army_of_National_Liberation), or with the long-dead revolutionary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emiliano_Zapata) from whom they took their name, that's just, um, both hilarious and scary.

Hentor the Barbarian
09-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Here's a bit more: (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_09/014770.php)

Late Wednesday night, news made its way from the other side of the Atlantic that John McCain, in an interview with a Spanish outlet, had made a series of bizarre responses to a question regarding that country's prime minister.

"Would you be willing to meet with the head of our government, Mr. Zapatero?" the questioner asked, in an exchange now being reported by several Spanish outlets.

McCain proceeded to launch into what appeared to be a boilerplate declaration about Mexico and Latin America -- but not Spain -- pressing the need to stand up to world leaders who want to harm America.

"I will meet with those leaders who are our friends and who want to work with us cooperatively," according to one translation. The reporter repeated the question two more times, apparently trying to clarify, but McCain referred again to Latin America.

Finally, the questioner said, "Okay, but I'm talking about Europe -- the president of Spain, would you meet with him?" The Senator offered only a slight variance to his initial comment. "I will reunite with any leader that has the same principles and philosophy that we do: human rights, democracy, and liberty. And I will confront those that don't [have them]."One has to presume that he knew he was sitting down for an interview with someone from the Spanish press, right?

C3
09-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Here's a bit more: (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_09/014770.php)

One has to presume that he knew he was sitting down for an interview with someone from the Spanish press, right?

It sounds less like he was confused about who he was talking to, and more like he didn't want to be pulled off his boilerplate comments. He probably hasn't been briefed about Spain, so he was just trying to stick to what he has been briefed on.

Edited to add: not that that's any better

Borborygmi
09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
(By George, I think I've got it!)

♪ ♫ McCain's campaign draws mainly Spain's disdain
Spain's disdain comes mainly from McCainAnd where's all this disdain?
In Spain! In Spain!
And what can they do in Spain?
Complain! Complain!McCain's campaign draws mainly Spain's disdain...
McCain's campaign draws mainly Spain's disdain ♫ ♪

Slacker
09-18-2008, 09:03 AM
His mind was other places that day. I know he's been preoccupied lately, trying to come up with new ways to keep the Blackberry competitive against the iPhone and the Android powered smartphones.

Bayard
09-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm kind of confused -- was McCain being interviewed on Miami radio station AM 1260? I think that's what the story on Talking Points Memo means. I can almost see where he would assume that an interviewer on a Miami radio station would be asking about Latin American affairs. That doesn't do much to excuse his (apparent -- still waiting for more information) gaffe, but at first I thought he was talking to a guy in Spain.

ETA: And, TPM says that McCain didn't do much better even after the interviewer said, "But we're talking about Europe."

aldiboronti
09-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Mock on, mock on. Kinda reminds me of the liberal mockery of Reagan. He turned out to be one of the most popular Presidents in US history, much to the liberals' chagrin and frustration. You honestly think John Q Public out there give a cuss about this?

ShibbOleth
09-18-2008, 09:15 AM
I think I can understand the confusion, but it certainly doesn't speak well to:

a) his handlers vetting his interview requests.
b) his ability to think well on his feet.
c) possibly his knowledge of world leaders and our diplomatic relationships.

Note that on point C, I don't expect him to know off the top of his head how we interact with every country in the world, but I would expect him to do his homework going into an interview.

ShibbOleth
09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
You honestly think John Q Public out there give a cuss about this?
No, I expect his constituency is mostly too dumb to care. This shouldn't, for the most part, affect his election chances at all.

RedFury
09-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Jusus Christ on a pogo stick! That has to be one of the most bizrre interviews I've ever heard. The guy was completly clueless as to who Zapatero was -- even after being told "we're talking about Spain, in Europe." :confused:

You can hear the whole mess here:

English Version (http://www.cadenaser.com/)

(scroll down half a page to his pic)

What a tool!

Shot Clock
09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Overheard at the neighborhood BoJangles Restaurant this morning:

"McCain thought they were talking about the Latins...The guy he was talking to was speaking Mexican"

Hand to God!

Hentor the Barbarian
09-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Mock on, mock on. Kinda reminds me of the liberal mockery of Reagan. He turned out to be one of the most popular Presidents in US history, much to the liberals' chagrin and frustration. You honestly think John Q Public out there give a cuss about this?Great, on-topic point. However, I think that people may have been more willing to give Reagan a pass on not knowing stuff than they will McCain because of Reagan's youth relative to McCain.

Ethilrist
09-18-2008, 09:20 AM
In the Washington Monthly report linked by Bayard above, the Miami broadcast was a re-broadcast of an interview that was done in Spain.

"McCain didn't appear to know that Spain was in Europe, or that the leader of Spain was named Zapatero, even after he was told that Zapatero was the leader of Spain."

Morgenstern
09-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Those pesky senior moments seem to be more and more frequent as this campaign heats up. Those moments may/will be his downfall.

Jolly Roger
09-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Mock on, mock on. Kinda reminds me of the liberal mockery of Reagan. He turned out to be one of the most popular Presidents in US history, much to the liberals' chagrin and frustration. You honestly think John Q Public out there give a cuss about this?

No mocking, but I can honestly tell you most of the people I knew back when Reagan was in office did not like him. His popularity depends on a point of view, I think. When they had his funeral my boss called me and told me that it we all had the day off because of it. I told him 'Well, thats the first thing Reagan ever did for me." Then I was pissed because it was all on TV and I had to go rent some movies.

Besides, Reagan has nothing to do with whatever stupid crap comes out of McCain's mouth right now in the present at all.

Hamlet
09-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Mock on, mock on. Kinda reminds me of the liberal mockery of Reagan. He turned out to be one of the most popular Presidents in US history, much to the liberals' chagrin and frustration. You honestly think John Q Public out there give a cuss about this?For fuck's sake, it's not simply "mocking" it is a serious question about McCain's ability to be President. Are you TRYING to make conservatives look like the ignorant asses they are seen to be on this board?

Duke
09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
However, I think that people may have been more willing to give Reagan a pass on not knowing stuff than they will McCain because of Reagan's youth relative to McCain.
Plus, Reagan got to co-star with a chimpanzee in one of his movies. Everybody loves chimpanzees.

On the other hand, POW POW POW.

Enderw24
09-18-2008, 09:28 AM
I can actually understand why McCain gave the answer he did.

Imagine if you were unprepared for an interview (it happens), and the reporter asks you if you would meet with Mr. X. Even Mr. X of Country Y. Now, granted, you should have been prepared for the interview and sure as heck should have known there would be questions about Country Y popping up from time to time based on the very nature of the interview. But that's neither here nor there. You're being asked if you would meet with a person who you don't recognize and the only thing going through your mind is "is this a trick question? Is this guy a good guy or a bad guy? What if I say I want to meet with a bad guy? Will I be lambasted as sympathizing with my enemies?"
And there's the key. If you've already blasted your opponent for even daring to suggest that communicating with the enemy is acceptable, you damned well better not be caught saying the same thing.

And so you say "um...all good guys I'll meet with and all bad guys I'll confront!" and you pray to God that that's the end of the line of questioning.

Jolly Roger
09-18-2008, 09:32 AM

Imagine if you were unprepared for an interview (it happens), and the reporter asks you if you would meet with Mr. X. Even Mr. X of Country Y. Now, granted, you should have been prepared for the interview and sure as heck should have known there would be questions about Country Y popping up from time to time based on the very nature of the interview. But that's neither here nor there. You're being asked if you would meet with a person who you don't recognize and the only thing going through your mind is "is this a trick question? Is this guy a good guy or a bad guy? What if I say I want to meet with a bad guy? Will I be lambasted as sympathizing with my enemies?"
And there's the key. If you've already blasted your opponent for even daring to suggest that communicating with the enemy is acceptable, you damned well better not be caught saying the same thing.

And so you say "um...all good guys I'll meet with and all bad guys I'll confront!" and you pray to God that that's the end of the line of questioning.

Being unprepared for an event he had knowledge of beforehand seems to be just as bad....worse, even...than just plain not knowing the correct name of the leader of Spain.

I'd be offended if I were spanish.

Bayard
09-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Being unprepared for an event he had knowledge of beforehand seems to be just as bad....worse, even...than just plain not knowing the correct name of the leader of Spain.

I'd be offended if I were spanish.

Plus, Spain fought with us in Iraq, then Zapatero took the Spanish troops out. It was kind of a big deal at the time. If McCain is hanging his presidential cred on his understanding of the war in Iraq, you would have thought that detail would have stuck with him.

Kalhoun
09-18-2008, 09:42 AM
He's the poster child for forced retirement. Jesus...he's pathetic.

RedFury
09-18-2008, 09:42 AM
In the Washington Monthly report linked by Bayard above, the Miami broadcast was a re-broadcast of an interview that was done in Spain.

Just to be clear, the interview was out of a Miami Latin radio station, owned by the grupo PRISA from Spain under the label of Unión Radio (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uni%C3%B3n_Radio). It was being simulcast in Spain by Cadena Ser (see my prior link)

----

Some of the comments of the readers at El Pais, for those of you that speak Spanish, are simply hilarious -- others of course, don't find it so funny. I simply remain astonished that such a clueless politician could become the next leader of the Free World.

McCain elude decir si se reunirá con Zapatero de llegar a la Casa Blanca (http://www.elpais.com/articulo/internacional/McCain/elude/decir/reunira/Zapatero/llegar/Casa/Blanca/elpepuint/20080917elpepuint_9/Tes)

Discordia
09-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the english RedFury. Man, that was tough to listen to. He really had no idea who Zapatero is. Seemed to just assume it was some guy in South America. Hopefully he pulls this in the debates, since this surely won't get traction with Wall Street dominating the news :(

Bayard
09-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Hopefully he pulls this in the debates, since this surely won't get traction with Wall Street dominating the news :(

Probably right about it not getting much traction. At least Time (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1842156,00.html) is talking about it. The writer suggests that it's possible that McCain did know who Zapatero was, and really meant that he wouldn't commit to talking to him. Either way, not a banner day in foreign policy.

DianaG
09-18-2008, 09:51 AM

But don't you think he should? Seriously. I'm asking.

Revtim
09-18-2008, 09:59 AM
McCain's problem is not that he's old, or stupid, or anything like that. The problem is that he never lived in a place that was near Spain.

Jack Batty
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Maybe he just didn't have time to have someone look it up on the internet and email it to his wife so she could print it out on a real piece of paper for him.

Honest mistake.

Boyo Jim
09-18-2008, 10:10 AM
For 5-1/2 years, McCain couldn't look at a map! Is it so surprising he can't find anything, even a clue?

jayjay
09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
But don't you think he should? Seriously. I'm asking.

There is no "should" on the Right anymore. There is only "win at any cost". It's not like the Republicans have had a soul to lose for a while.

TVeblen
09-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I simply remain astonished that such a clueless politician could become the next leader of the Free World.

And just look at his back-up! You know, the one who'll take over if/when the dinosaur kicks it. Ooops, dinosaur: not a good word in the McCain/Palin camp. Then we'll all see real cluelessness in action.

Freak show. The GOP is running a frickin' freak show--and 'conservatives' don't even care.

NurseCarmen
09-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow, that was cringe inducing.

Gangster Octopus
09-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Maybe Palin shoudl have done the interview.

Lionne
09-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Why, can she see Spain from Alaska too?

Muffin
09-18-2008, 11:20 AM
At least he didn't insist that Spain was Sweden.

Happy_Booker
09-18-2008, 11:20 AM
With this kind of diplomatic skills, his Commander in Chief skills may be given a showcase.

Bayard
09-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Why, can she see Spain from Alaska too?

No, but McCain was quoted (in a pretty funny piece by Chris Kelly (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kelly/the-delicate-subject-of-j_b_127359.html)) as saying:

She has been commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard. Fact. On September 11 a contingent of the Guard deployed to Iraq and her son happened to be one of them so I think she understands national security challenges.

Except that Palin's son Track is in the Army, not the NG. And children are not an issue in this campaign.

Bayard
09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, McCain looks to be going the route of, "I knew who they meant, and I don't want to commit to having a meeting with him." I mean, come on, you can't be too cautious with those NATO members. The Washington Post reports (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/18/mccain_slights_spanish_prime_m.html):

McCain foreign policy adviser Randy Sheunemann said McCain's answer was intentional.

"The questioner asked several times about Senator McCain's willingness to meet Zapatero (and id'd him in the question so there is no doubt Senator McCain knew exactly to whom the question referred). Senator McCain refused to commit to a White House meeting with President Zapatero in this interview," he said in an e-mail.

Nice.

Spiny Norman
09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
You honestly think John Q Public out there give a cuss about this?

Do you honestly think John Q Public is better served with a chief executive who needs a cheat sheet to master the basics of foreign policy?

Bosstone
09-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Do you honestly think John Q Public is better served with a chief executive who needs a cheat sheet to master the basics of foreign policy?Well, he's not a Democrat.

The Hamster King
09-18-2008, 12:17 PM
And there's the key. If you've already blasted your opponent for even daring to suggest that communicating with the enemy is acceptable, you damned well better not be caught saying the same thing.I could understand this if we were talking about someplace obscure: "Will you be willing to meet with the President of Burkina Faso?" It would be unreasonable to expect McCain to know the ins and out of our diplomatic relations with every country in the world off the top of his head.

But this is freakin' SPAIN! As people have pointed out, it's a member of NATO! If Spain is attacked we're bound by treaty to go to war to defend them. But McCain isn't sure if he'd meet with their President?

A foreign policy "expert" should at least know who our major allies are ... .

The Tao's Revenge
09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
El senor McCain es un puta estupido

I know it's english board but I think a casual reading of that even to monolingual english speakers will make my meaning clear. Especially with this ("http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/puta#Noun_6) clue.

The Tao's Revenge
09-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Epic fail at VB code

try this (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/puta#Noun_6) clue.

ralph124c
09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
This tells me that McCain is really in the early stages of senility. The smart thing to do, when you realize you don't have a clue, is to STFU! He could have said something like: "I really am not prepared to discuss specifics, but I will discuss general points of my campaign"-it would have been OK..but to make a fool out of yourself?
better pray that palin can learn fast!:eek:

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
09-18-2008, 12:59 PM
El senor McCain es un puta estupido.

"Puta" is feminine, so that would be "una puta estúpida." If you want to call McCain a man-whore, the word is "puto."

Glad to help.

Rhythmdvl
09-18-2008, 01:07 PM

So ... you're proud to be an ignorant fuck?

Happy Lendervedder
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
So ... you're proud to be an ignorant fuck?

He's just proud to vote for 'em. To have ignorant fucks running our country. Talk about un-American.

stolichnaya
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
It's kind of... disturbing... that the McCain campign's response is not "You know, it was a long day, and the Senator was having trouble hearing the question. Of course the Senator will meet with the Prime Minister and all of our NATO allies when he is president. The Senator meant no disrespect and is happy to grant a follow-up interview as his time permits."

Wouldn't that have basically killed it? Instead the campaign is locked into a foreign policy position of sorts, and a rather testy one, when it is pretty freakin' clear that this was all just a temporary confusion.

This puts me ill at ease at the prospect of a McCain presidency.

Giraffe
09-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Imagine if you were unprepared for an interview (it happens), and the reporter asks you if you would meet with Mr. X. Even Mr. X of Country Y. Now, granted, you should have been prepared for the interview and sure as heck should have known there would be questions about Country Y popping up from time to time based on the very nature of the interview. But that's neither here nor there.I think this is an important point. George Bush was barely hurt at all by his repeated blunders on foreign policy during the 2000 election, in large part because of this sentiment. People thought "heck, I don't know who the leader of Pakistan is, who am I to give the guy a hard time about it?"

We shouldn't be putting ourselves in the role of the job interviewee and thinking how we'd react in situations like this -- most of us are grossly unqualified to be president, so of course we're going to relate to these sorts of blunders. We need to get back to caring that the most qualified person get the job, not the person we can relate to the best. We may sympathize with the guy on Jeopardy who came in third and barely buzzed in at all, but our vote needs to go to Ken Jennings.

Voyager
09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Besides, Reagan has nothing to do with whatever stupid crap comes out of McCain's mouth right now in the present at all.

Reagan didn't go senile until the end of his term. McCain is heading there even before the vote. Another possibility, though, is that he's dumbing down because it is ungallant to know more than your VP choice. Or, maybe he didn't have enough time to learn the names of foreign leaders because he was so busy brushing up on economics.

ShibbOleth
09-18-2008, 01:49 PM
I think this is an important point. George Bush was barely hurt at all by his repeated blunders on foreign policy during the 2000 election, in large part because of this sentiment. People thought "heck, I don't know who the leader of Pakistan is, who am I to give the guy a hard time about it?"

Ah, the old anti-elitist strategy. Even if a guy is stupidly rich, he's okay so long as he doesn't put on airs (or get "uppity").

Giraffe
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Ah, the old anti-elitist strategy. Even if a guy is stupidly rich, he's okay so long as he doesn't put on airs (or get "uppity").Populism has always been a powerful force in a democracy. What's amazing to me is how effectively the Republicans have tapped into it, despite being so fundamentally less populist than Democrats on key issues like tax policy and programs which disproportionately benefit the lower and middle classes. No matter how bad they are at running the country, you can't deny that they're very good at winning elections.

Claptree
09-18-2008, 02:00 PM
We need to get back to caring that the most qualified person get the job, not the person we can relate to the best. We may sympathize with the guy on Jeopardy who came in third and barely buzzed in at all, but our vote needs to go to Ken Jennings.

McCain didn't have buzzers for 5 1/2 years, how can you expect him to use a buzzer with his P.O.W. wounds and stuff?

The Tao's Revenge
09-18-2008, 02:08 PM
"Puta" is feminine, so that would be "una puta estúpida." If you want to call McCain a man-whore, the word is "puto."

Glad to help.

Hold off on the self back patting there kid.

I thought someone might jump on me about that. Puto is grammatically correct but in common usage it's rarely used, puta being used for both genders, atleast according to a Venezuelan Canadian friend of mine. Since she learned Spanish from her parents who speak it as a first language I'm more inclined to believe her, then the wikitionary where judging by the dash you got that from.

My guess is since it's used for both genders because if you dislike a dude enough to call him a puta you're not gonna care if it emasculates him, or chalk it up to the difference between the English drawed vs drawn.

Long Time First Time
09-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Well, according to some .... perhaps they are right and perhaps they are not.....it's all about narrative. The press reports stuff that fits into their pre-determined narrative about a candidate (whether it's true or not) and omits the stuff that is not. Up until about 3 weeks ago the story on McCain was he was a hero who was very interested in foreign policy, not so much the economy, and that he was so truthful and honor-bound that he'd rather "lose an election that a war." So you saw lots of stories about what a great guy he was, and that he was soooo honest that it caused him physical pain to lie even when he was forced to by expediency.

Before our eyes the narrative on him is turning to one of a serial liar who is out of touch. So if it looks like he doesn't know that Spain is in Europe this completely ties into the new narrative forming about his being out of touch, and when his people put out explanations about why he said what he said that are so pathetic (you can see Spain from Alaska anyone?) that it will make even 3-month-old babies roll their eyes it will ratchet up the liar meme as well.

Will that matter?

According to those who believe that Gore lost because the press couldn't stop yakking about how he was a prissy, boring, Internet-founding liar it will.

Guinastasia
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM

He also turned out to be in the early stages of Alzheimers in his second term of presidency, and there was that little thing called Iran-Contra-perhaps you remember it?

Popularity does not necessarily mean one is a GOOD president. Just a popular one.

TVeblen
09-18-2008, 02:30 PM
No matter how bad they are at running the country, you can't deny that they're very good at winning elections.
Hell, they're great at campaigning, especially when it involves blatant lies. Because a significant percentage of American voters have shit for brains.

Look at Shrub. He was type-cast as a regular guy, down-to-earth, hard-workin', next door type of guy. In truth he was born to a career politician and diplomat and an heiress. His rich daddy's pull got him into Yale, out of combat in 'Nam and into the Guard--where he even showed up once in a while--and bailed him out of every business he drove into the ground. Shrub never grew to much more than an arrogant, spoiled frat rat. But hey, put professional sleaze Karl Rove on the case, lie like a motherfuck, dream up some real whoppers, and some people will believe them.

Shrub. Humble, horny-handed man of the soil, one of the masses. John McShame, professional Maverick and Washington outsider. A man of stern morals--who fucked around on his badly injured starter-wife with a blonde slut with inherited millions, a cocaine habit and a penchant for theft.

Bad soap opera. And it works. It takes a particular kind of stupidity and/or willful blindness for it to work, though.

Bosstone
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Because a significant percentage of American voters have shit for brains. You just lost Obama 100 votes with that remark. I hope you're satisfied. :mad:

Hamlet
09-18-2008, 02:53 PM
You just lost Obama 100 votes with that remark. I hope you're satisfied. :mad:You vote 100 times? Where do you live Chicago?

How many votes do entire books like this lose for McCain? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism_Is_a_Mental_Disorder)

Guinastasia
09-18-2008, 03:00 PM
God listening to that interview, he even SOUNDS old. He sounds almost like my grandfather.

Gangster Octopus
09-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, McCain looks to be going the route of, "I knew who they meant, and I don't want to commit to having a meeting with him." I mean, come on, you can't be too cautious with those NATO members. The Washington Post reports (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/18/mccain_slights_spanish_prime_m.html):

Nice.

Doubly nice, Zapatero is a Prime Minister, not a President.

McCain's senior policy adviser insisted today that McCain meant what he suggested about not necessarily meeting Zapatero.

"Senator McCain refused to commit to a White House meeting with President Zapatero in this interview," Randy Sheunemann told the Washington Post.

jayjay
09-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Doubly nice, Zapatero is a Prime Minister, not a President.

Heh...and that's coming from McCain's SENIOR FOREIGN POLICY ADVISOR! Not only is he a foreign policy dunce, but the "experts" he surrounds himself with are, too.

TVeblen
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
You just lost Obama 100 votes with that remark. I hope you're satisfied. :mad:
Oooohhkaaayy.

People who have shit for brains never believe they do. In fact they're usually quite dogmatic about defending the ludicrously indefensible. "Liberals hate America. They want terrorists to win." "Evolution doesn't exist because the Bible says so!" "John McCain wouldn't lie because he was a POW!" "You can't be a real Christian if you don't vote Republican."

And my favorite neocon absurdity: "I believe in minimal governmental intrusion into the lives of citizens. Except my side has a clear, God-mandated duty to dictate morality for the masses. Which doesn't really count as intruding intruding since it's a holy mission and all."

Those are just righty-shit-for-brains. Don't get me started on the leftist loonies.

Anybody whose vote can't stand up to message board chatter, yes, has shit for brains too. I doubt anyone's mind has been changed by all the endless political threads. People will vote the way they want and rationalize why.

Bosstone
09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
That was meant to be tongue in cheek. I guess it fell flat.

gonzomax
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
He also turned out to be in the early stages of Alzheimers in his second term of presidency, and there was that little thing called Iran-Contra-perhaps you remember it?

Popularity does not necessarily mean one is a GOOD president. Just a popular one.

We must get the foot of regulation off the neck of business.. That was Reagan. He started this whole mess that is exploding. he was a shitty president and endlessly wrong. I hope his legacy takes a hit for his destruction of regulation.

Dead Badger
09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Doubly nice, Zapatero is a Prime Minister, not a President.The Spanish actually refer to him as President, as his formal position is president of the council of ministers. Indeed, the interviewer refers to him as President. So I'd say President would be a perfectly reasonable thing to call him, once one has figured out who he is. :)

TVeblen
09-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Oh.

alphaboi867
09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
The Spanish actually refer to him as President, as his formal position is president of the council of ministers. Indeed, the interviewer refers to him as President. So I'd say President would be a perfectly reasonable thing to call him, once one has figured out who he is. :)

It's El Presidente del Gobierno in Spanish and El Presidente for short. The literal translation is "President of he Government", but Prime Minister is prefered to avoid confusion (as Spain is a monarchy).

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Puto is grammatically correct but in common usage it's rarely used

Well, I couldn't say how common it is in spoken usage but I can tell you for sure that it's commonly seen written on walls.

SmartAleq
09-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Pretty good Huffington Post commentary on the gaffe/no-gaffe. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-bergmann/not-a-gaffe-mccain-campai_b_127486.html) So is it somehow better that McCain is willing to throw away a NATO ally rather than admit he fucked up? The guy is scary--I mean like "duck & cover" level scary. I don't want anybody in the White House who thinks it's a good idea to just make diplomatic decisions based on whim or random impulse.

yojimbo
09-18-2008, 04:57 PM
A NATO member! A fucking NATO member and he either blew the leader off with shit they usually keep for the likes of Iran or Syria or he didn't know who he was.

A fucking NATO member. That's shameful folks no matter what way the truth lies.

Spanish soldiers went to Iraq and Afghanistan and had a very large terrorist attack for their reward and this is how a possible leader of their supposed friend and ally treats their leader :confused:

Jolly Roger
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
A NATO member! A fucking NATO member and he either blew the leader off with shit they usually keep for the likes of Iran or Syria or he didn't know who he was.

A fucking NATO member. That's shameful folks no matter what way the truth lies.

Spanish soldiers went to Iraq and Afghanistan and had a very large terrorist attack for their reward and this is how a possible leader of their supposed friend and ally treats their leader :confused:

I hear ya. I work for NATO currently. I'll have to apologize to my spanish coworkers tomorrow. What a dickweed.

grayhairedmomma
09-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Probably right about it not getting much traction. At least Time (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1842156,00.html) is talking about it. The writer suggests that it's possible that McCain did know who Zapatero was, and really meant that he wouldn't commit to talking to him. Either way, not a banner day in foreign policy. Hoepefully this will get plenty of play in the spanish language newspapers and news broadcasts. I'm sure this won't win McCain anymore votes in the hispanic community. It hits pretty close to the "they all look alike" thing.*

Boyo Jim
09-18-2008, 05:40 PM
I really need to let go of my hatred for Nixon, who I've blamed for many years for the breakdown of civility in politics.

Nixon was fucking Gandhi compared to Reagan and Shrub.

And Bush senior --it's too bad he didn't hear a voice out of a burning tree asking him to sacrifice his sons.

bannerrefugee
09-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Overheard at the neighborhood BoJangles Restaurant this morning:

"McCain thought they were talking about the Latins...The guy he was talking to was speaking Mexican"

Hand to God!

Serves you right for going to BoJangles :)

Cervaise
09-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Nixon was fucking GandhiEw.

RedFury
09-18-2008, 06:13 PM

I thought it was pretty good actually as I understood the witty play on percentages it referenced. Of course if you have to explain it...;)

---

The Spanish actually refer to him as President, as his formal position is president of the council of ministers. Indeed, the interviewer refers to him as President. So I'd say President would be a perfectly reasonable thing to call him, once one has figured out who he is. :)

Yep. He is both. But more commonly referred to as 'President' than P.M.

As to 'figuring out who he is' delusions of Spanish grandeur aside, you'd think educated people -- never mind a US Presidential candidate -- would know something about Spain, not only a NATO ally, but with troop deployments in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Lebanon (UNIFIL). We are also talking about a country which is inside the world's ten largest economies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)) and second largest landmass in Europe only after France. Lastly, as an ally and a possible link to L.A., Spain is only second to the US in total investments in the region.

Won't even mention the US naval and air force bases located in geostrategic Spain.

---

I hear ya. I work for NATO currently. I'll have to apologize to my spanish coworkers tomorrow. What a dickweed.

Good on you, but I doubt your colleagues will take much affront for the time being. He is not, at least not yet, the voice of America. From what I've read in my prior link to El Pais (one of Spain's newspaper's of record and the one with the largest circulation) his comments where mostly treated with derision and scorn -- with a large helping of incriminating ignorance on his part.

However, if such a sad event happens to occur, I think you'll find greater division between many Western European NATO members and the US of A. Irreconcilable even.

Best of luck to all of you in the crucial election. No doubt there's a hell of a lot riding on it. Like the future of map of the world in terms of alliances. Literally.

Guinastasia
09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
We must get the foot of regulation off the neck of business.. That was Reagan. He started this whole mess that is exploding. he was a shitty president and endlessly wrong. I hope his legacy takes a hit for his destruction of regulation.

Nowadays, I'm taking a more kindly view of the man himself-if only because I don't think he was the one in charge-Ronnie was a figurehead. I don't think he was the one running the show. His administration, on the other hand...

(But yeah, shitty president, totally)

ETA: one wonders what might happen if McCain had happened to meet with Juan Carlos...

Lightnin'
09-18-2008, 06:53 PM
The claim now is that he knew exactly who the man is, he just doesn't want to meet with him (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/18/mccain-meant-to-reject-sp_n_127449.html).

That'll teach Spain, by Og.

RedFury
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
The claim now is that he knew exactly who the man is, he just doesn't want to meet with him (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/18/mccain-meant-to-reject-sp_n_127449.html).

That'll teach Spain, by Og.

Sure will. Like what a flip-flopper (or totally clueless) the joker is for just back in June this is what he said in an exclusive interview with El Pais:

"Con España hay que mirar hacia adelante" (http://www.elpais.com/articulo/internacional/Espana/hay/mirar/adelante/elpepiint/20080406elpepiint_2/Tes?print=1)

"With Spain we have to look forward."

...es el momento de dejar atrás discrepancias con España" y añade: "Me gustaría que [el presidente Zapatero] visitara Estados Unidos. Yo estoy muy interesado, no sólo en normalizar las relaciones con España, sino en conseguir unas relaciones buenas y productivas con objeto de atender muchos asuntos y desafíos a los que tenemos que hacer frente juntos

Translation: "...'tis the moment to leave aside differences with Spain" and added "I'd like for (President Zapatero) to visit the United States. I am very interested in not only normalizing relations with Spain, but in obtaining good and productive relations with the object of tending to many affairs and challenges which we have to face together..."

Let's get real here, the guy clearly had a senile moment and instead of avoiding an answer he went right into "foot-in-mouth" disease. The rest is all spin in order to cover for same.

eleanorigby
09-18-2008, 07:36 PM
I think that McCain is perhaps just a HUGE 3 Dog Night fan and has so internalized the song, "Never Been to Spain". Maybe he also think the music is ok, but the ladies are insane there? What does it matter?
:p

McMoron is my name for him. It seems to fit.

stolichnaya
09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I don't think it was a "senile moment", the interviewer is speaking with an accent, he clearly just got lost in the sentence and then could not keep up. How many times a week does this happen to a normal non-senile person? Wait- back up there, I lost you for a second.

But the reaction is certainaly problematic. In the moment, he got stubborn and pissy. Then, with time to think and supposed experts in public relations advising him, they decide not to admit a small, miniscule, absolutely unremarkable moment of inattention or misunderstanding and move on, instead they risk offending a NATO ally to cover ass.

The response of Zapatero: (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_el_pr/eu_spain_mccain;_ylt=AiU8So4TSPE9QoHGb0T0_OKyFz4D)

I think it is logical that he show the necessary prudence, because first there has to be an electoral process.

Good lord, the guy is getting diplomacy lessons in real time from his aspirational peers.

Count Blucher
09-18-2008, 07:41 PM
McCain's thought bubble: Why the hell is this person asking me about Zapata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emiliano_Zapata)?

I was thinking it was more:

"Zapata? ZAPATA!? SMOKEY-SMOKEY!!! Shoulda shot him in Chiapas when I had the chance!!! Oh-Oh-OOOOOOOOHHHH!"

Nicolas Bourbaki
09-18-2008, 07:42 PM
I think this is an important point. George Bush was barely hurt at all by his repeated blunders on foreign policy during the 2000 election, in large part because of this sentiment. People thought "heck, I don't know who the leader of Pakistan is, who am I to give the guy a hard time about it?"

To be perfectly fair, Bush did better on that question than McCain did. IIRC, his exact response was along the lines of "His name's General . . . a General . . . he's a friend of ours". That is, he only forgot Musharraf's name, but remembered he held military rank and we had good relations with him. McCain, on the other hand, struck out on everything, and in a real live interview, not a glorified trivia contest.

Kyla
09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Translation: "...'tis the moment to leave aside differences with Spain" and added "I'd like for (President Zapatero) to visit the United States. I am very interested in not only normalizing relations with Spain, but in obtaining good and productive relations with the object of tending to many affairs and challenges which we have to face together..."

This is so fucking hilarious! "I am very interested in normalizing relations with Spain"! Yes, America's long conflict with Spain must, at last, come to an end. But what will I do with my Death to Spain! t-shirt? Whose picture will I throw darts at, now that it's no longer going to be PC to mutilate magazine cutouts of Zapatero?

DAMN YOU, SPAIN. You and your peacemaking ways! No, McCain, don't trust them wily Spaniards!

wring
09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
And Bush senior --it's too bad he didn't hear a voice out of a burning tree asking him to sacrifice his sons.
That's a bit harsh- I'd rather suggest that he shouldda gotten a babs blowjob instead.

Euphonious Polemic
09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
The response of Zapatero:

I think it is logical that he show the necessary prudence, because first there has to be an electoral process.
Good lord, the guy is getting diplomacy lessons in real time from his aspirational peers.

Translated from diplomacy speak:

"Let's just see if the old man gets elected first before we Spaniards worry, eh?"

Ha! I love it! It will be a week before McCain and his people know they've been insulted!

Frank
09-18-2008, 08:21 PM
No, McCain, don't trust them wily Spaniards!
And especially don't send the submarine USS Maine to visit Malaga!

Rhythmdvl
09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
And especially don't send the submarine USS Maine to visit Malaga!

Stop making fun of McCain's age!

Merkwurdigliebe
09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Translated from diplomacy speak:

"Let's just see if the old man gets elected first before we Spaniards worry, eh?"

Ha! I love it! It will be a week before McCain and his people know they've been insulted!

HOW DARE YOU!!!
:mad::mad::mad:

The only reason why McCain was reticent to offer support to Zapatero was because HE WAS A POW! And back then, Franco ruled Spain with an iron fist! Spaniards are clearly not to be trusted!

Back to reality. I am not a Senator, nor am I running for President, much less on a platform of my national security credentials, and let's see how many European leaders I can name? I'm not cheating, no fake...

UK - Gordon Brown
Italy - Berlusconi (again....)
Spain - Zapatero
France - Sarkozy
Germany - Merkel
Ukraine - That guy who got poisoned
Denmark - Anders Fogh Rasmussen
Russia - Dimitri Medvedev

And yeah, that's it. But I'm just some cracker who reads the news on a daily basis. Could the Senator possibly know a little more than me about this shit?

They're right though. Bush wasn't given a name, and he knew the person of whom the interviewer was speaking. McCain was given the name, and he drew a blank.

And lets not forget, that Zapatero wasn't a normal boring President. He was elected a few days after the al queda attack on Madrid. The PP tried to blame it on ETA in order to win the election but the people caught on to that quick enough. It was a huge deal in international politics which resulted in the Spanish withdrawal from Iraq. Spaniards were ridiculed among right-wing assholes for being cowards, etc...

So really I might understand McCain not knowing the President of Spain. Let's face it Spain isn't France or Italy or Germany, but Zapatero had a pretty memorable election

RedFury
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
....So really I might understand McCain not knowing the President of Spain. Let's face it Spain isn't France or Italy or Germany, but Zapatero had a pretty memorable election

All well and good with your post till the bolded nation. For you see, things change:

In the first of a series of articles to mark upcoming elections on both sides of the Med, John Hooper compares life in Italy and Spain and finds that it is not only in GDP that the Iberians have the upper hand (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/05/italy.spain)

Spain's greater political stability is one key to its better economic performance. Over the past 12 years, its economic growth has been three times that of Italy's.

Even in areas where the Italians would seem to have a built-in advantage, they have slipped behind. Rome – the Colosseum, Forum and Vatican notwithstanding – gets fewer tourists nowadays than Barcelona. The same is true of industries in which Italians have centuries of experience. Today, the world's biggest fashion chain, Zara, is Spanish, as is Europe's largest bank, Santander.

Last December, Italians were appalled to learn that, in the previous year, Spain's real per capita gross domestic product had overtaken their own. For more than a century they had grown accustomed to regarding their Spanish 'cugini' or cousins with a sort of affectionate condescension. Yet here was the EU's statistics office telling them that their "poor relations" were actually richer.

Moreoever:

Italy: The sick man of Europe (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/04/15/dl1502.xml)

Point being that Spain has now surpassed Italy's GDP per capita.

A fact that shouldn't scape any worldly politician when dissing (foot in mouth or not) a nation that is actually above the economic standards of one of its G7/8 members. Mind you, there's no denying that our building boom has hit a wall and we're not currently in the best of times, but by the same token, Spain remains, per capita, the second most desired destination for immigrants in the world only after the US of A.

Again, we might only match California's GDP, but neither California nor Spain are small beans. And I happen to know both, where they are located and their capitals and Presidents/Governors. In fact, while raised in Spain I married a California lady and lived there for some time.

Guess I'm as qualified as they come to lead the Free World....

RedFury
09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
PS-Doubt thre is a single European on board that doesn't know who Zapatero is. For good or for bad he's left quite a mark on the political scene, not the least of which making us (the quintessential Catholic nation) I believe the fourth country in the world to fully support gay marriage...amongst many other progressive reforms.

Frostillicus
09-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Let them know that this nightmare will all be over in less than 2 months.

Merkwurdigliebe
09-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Hey don't get me wrong, Red Fury, I think Spain has better prospects than Italy, but in terms of absolute importance re: US foreign policy, it's still doesn't have the clout of Italy.

I say this as someone who's lived in Spain for quite some time and also visit nearly every year. I love the place but I don't consider it to be on the same list as the 60 million club yet.

The Second Stone
09-18-2008, 11:54 PM

Ya all see, McCain is really, really wily and knowledgable. And he's really old, with a long memory and an eye for trivia. He so old that he knows that the US was at war with Spain in 1898. Because he remembers it and because he spent five and a half years as a prisoner of war. In Spain! And he knew Spain was a Monarchy, and any settlement of that war with Spain would have been voided by Franco's removal of the monarchy. And since relations have never been "normalized" since Juan Carlos resumed the monarchy, we do not have normal relations with Spain. Where the rain falls mainly on the plane. That plane being: Air Force One. McCain cannot begin to Reign (as president) until the weather clears enough to allow a take off and return the plane to Spain.

Seriously, for the guy not to know that Spain is in Europe, which it appears he did not know, as he was prompted by the interviewer that it was, should not be President, or Senator. Or dog catcher. He should be in a nursing home. My 96 year old aunt, who has some dementia knows where the hell Spain is.

Sailboat
09-19-2008, 12:34 AM
No, but McCain was quoted (in a pretty funny piece by Chris Kelly (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kelly/the-delicate-subject-of-j_b_127359.html)) as saying:

Except that Palin's son Track is in the Army, not the NG. And children are not an issue in this campaign.

Army/National Guard, whatever. Presidente/Prime Minister, whatever. NATO ally/tinpot dictatorship, whatever. Mexican rebels/European politician, whatever. Just shut up and vote for me. details don't matter.

Sailboat

R. P. McMurphy
09-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Hey you guys, STFU. I have a cabinet full of documents here that prove the Franco (the current dictator of Spain) had some of his Black Hats take the ferry to Tangier. There they met with a group of Liberians who were willing to sell them yellow cake (not angel food or devil's food). Other documents show that Zapatero and his insurgent army, including Che Guevara, were working with the Franco government on a terrorist plot to blow up the rock of Gibraltar. That's how dangerous and fucked up these guys are. They are a threat to the free world. Did you notice that they are on the border of France which harbors the worst terrorists in the world and is sending them across the border into Spain? If Spain falls, what's next, Portugal? Then we're really fucked. Where are we going to get the cork for our wine bottles?

You pansy-assed commie lovers can kiss my ass. I need to kill anybody with a name like Zapatero. Sounds terrorist to me.

Invade! Now!

Signed,

John McLame
(at the Naval Academy the just called me Clueless)

Tapioca Dextrin
09-19-2008, 01:58 AM
one wonders what might happen if McCain had happened to meet with Juan Carlos...

Papa John doesn't meet with terrorists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_The_Jackal) :mad:

Jolly Roger
09-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Army/National Guard, whatever. Presidente/Prime Minister, whatever. NATO ally/tinpot dictatorship, whatever. Mexican rebels/European politician, whatever. Just shut up and vote for me. details don't matter.

Sailboat

Just FTR: The Army national Guard is still part of the Army. Just like the Air National guard is part of the Air Force. They're kinda like the cousins you don't want to talk about, though.....

Nava
09-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Shrug, Bush Jr once called our previous prez "Ansar," something over which the Spanish press laughed for years (it happens to mean "duck" - quack, quack!).

I put it in the pile of "another American who can't find Canada with both hands, boy do I hate it when stereotypes walk". It's sad when the guy in question is POTUS or a POTUS wannabe, though.

Well, I couldn't say how common it is in spoken usage but I can tell you for sure that it's commonly seen written on walls.

The problem for me is that if you call him a puta (which you can), you have to call him a puta estúpida, you have to be consistant on your choice of gender. What hurts my eyes is the mismatch.

Nava
09-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Dupe

stolichnaya
09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I feel the same way about whores- settle on a gender already!

Captain Lance Murdoch
09-19-2008, 10:12 AM
The liberal media seems to ignoring this story. It can't matter if it's not reported.

I got the impression that not only did McCain not know who they were talking about, he didn't really seem to grasp the concept that Spain is in Europe either.

pseudotriton ruber ruber
09-19-2008, 10:47 AM
The liberal media seems to ignoring this story.

Can you imagine the size and duration of the hedlines over this if Obama had answered the same exact question the same exact way? There would be editorials demanding he step down from the ticket.

In McCain's defense (I think), it sounded like he misheard "Europe" for "you"
which accounted for his non-responsive response "What about me?"

Hentor the Barbarian
09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Can you imagine the size and duration of the hedlines over this if Obama had answered the same exact question the same exact way? There would be editorials demanding he step down from the ticket.

In McCain's defense (I think), it sounded like he misheard "Europe" for "you"
which accounted for his non-responsive response "What about me?"I agree, but that only addresses one lesser part of the overall evident confusion.

EddyTeddyFreddy
09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
The liberal media seems to ignoring this story. It can't matter if it's not reported.

I got the impression that not only did McCain not know who they were talking about, he didn't really seem to grasp the concept that Spain is in Europe either.

I think it's being ignored because it takes more than 10 seconds to explain. Besides, it involves Spanish-speaking people, and who gives a rat's ass about them except that they're taking all our jobs and clogging up our emergency rooms and sucking off welfare and, and, and...............

*HEAAAAAAAAAAAAVE*

*pant pant pant*

Okay, I've expelled the Limbaugh miasma from my frontal lobes.

The Tao's Revenge
09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
The problem for me is that if you call him a puta (which you can), you have to call him a puta estúpida, you have to be consistant on your choice of gender. What hurts my eyes is the mismatch.

Yea my grammar needs work badly. I'm learning my spare time though. My current job has a large monolingual Spanish speaking population so now I figure is the time to learn. I'm 1/4 Latino from my dad's side but I've met him for maybe a whole 10 minutes in my life. So as my Peruvian friend says I sound very "white". To her white means anyone with a US passport (don't matter if they're Black, Native American, Latin, Asian, ect.).

I'm getting so I can understand enough to piece together what they're talking about at work sometimes but my grammar and vocabulary need work.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. Silly mistake.

tl;dr: I'm working on sounding less "white"!

PS:speaking of english speakers screwing up genders there's writing on the bathroom wall at work about how some dude wants to fuck Latino pussy. It paints an interesting image.

edit: sorry for hijack.

sailor
09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I reported this incident to my (American living in Spain) friend and this is what she had to say: This just goes to show you how little Spain means in the grand scheme of things It is quite scary really that the guy who might be invading some country just for shits & giggles cannot tell countries apart and might end up invading the wrong country. Sometimes The Onion just doesn't seem so funny: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27961

foolsguinea
09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Mock on, mock on. Kinda reminds me of the liberal mockery of Reagan. He turned out to be one of the most popular Presidents in US history, much to the liberals' chagrin and frustration. You honestly think John Q Public out there give a cuss about this?Reagan was not a terribly good Prez, though popular.

And Juan Q. Publico might care; Latino swing voters matter in Florida & New Mexico.

jayjay
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Reagan was not a terribly good Prez, though popular.

And Juan Q. Publico might care; Latino swing voters matter in Florida & New Mexico.

And Colorado and Arizona. McCain is being forced to spend money in his home state. It's sad.