PDA

View Full Version : Where can you see an Oscar?

MovieMogul
11-29-2000, 03:40 PM
I was interested in the different locations that an Academy award is on public display. I've seen the following:

The Academy's Margaret Herrick library in Beverly Hills has several on display (including Edith Head's award for All About Eve)
The AMPAS office complex on Wilshire in BH also has a few on display. Although there are none in the lobby and upper floor galleries, if you go to any of the other administrative offices on the other floors, you can see some on display (though I don't remember which ones). The Academy theater also has 8-10 foot-tall statues on either side of the screen.
The Warner Bros. museum on the WB studio lot in Burbank has each of the Warner Best Picture winners (six in total, IIRC) on display, including Casablanca, My Fair Lady, and Chariots of Fire. They also have the Special Achievement Oscar for The Jazz Singer from the first year of the Academy Awards.
Another Chariots of Fire Oscar is David Puttnam's personal one, found at the National Museum of Photography, Film, & Television in Bradford, UK.
Another pair of My Fair Lady Oscars can be found at the Museum of the Moving Image in London (temporarily closed), which has Cecil Beaton's 2 awards for the film. You can also see a Palme d'Or (Cannes FF) and Golden Bear (Berlin FF) here.
Though not exactly open to the general public, the ephemera archive on the Walt Disney studio lot has the Special Effects Oscar for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on display.

Can anyone else say where there is an Oscar (as well as which/whose Oscar it is) on public display?

MinkMan
11-29-2000, 04:12 PM
At Francis Ford Coppola's winery (Niebaum-Coppola)in the Napa Valley, California, all five of FFCs Oscars are on display. I visited it this past spring, the wine's not bad, and there museum upstairs as a lot of cool Godfather memorbillia and other stuff from FFC films.

Tretiak
11-29-2000, 04:19 PM
Bausch & Laumb had an Oscar on display in their building in downton Rochester, NY last time I was there (five years ago). Granted it is a technical award Oscar but it looks just like any other.

MovieMogul
04-08-2002, 07:06 PM
Bumping out of curiosity--I have nothing to add to the list but thought 16 months might yield a new set of answers.

Guinastasia
04-08-2002, 08:34 PM
One of Jimmy Stewart's Oscars was on display in the front window of his father's hardware store in Indiana, PA. Now they have a museum devoted to Stewart and the Oscar is on display there. It's about, oh maybe two hours from where I live.

Ranchoth
04-09-2002, 12:39 AM
A few of Disney's other oscar were available for viewing (As of 1992) at the animation studio at Disney's MGM Studios at Walt Disney World in Florida. Including, as I remember, the special seven miniature Oscars for "Snow White".

Ranchoth

MovieMogul
02-04-2005, 06:44 PM
At Francis Ford Coppola's winery (Niebaum-Coppola)in the Napa Valley, California, all five of FFCs Oscars are on display. I visited it this past spring, the wine's not bad, and there museum upstairs as a lot of cool Godfather memorbillia and other stuff from FFC films.Reviving the thread to confirm that not only are FFC's 5 Oscars on display (including his screenwriting one for Patton), but the one his father Carmine won as well (for the score of Godfather II).

Also, anyone have any additions?

dinahmoe
02-04-2005, 08:38 PM
There's an lighting catagory Oscar in the lobby of the Sylvania headquarters on Endicott St. in Danvers, MA.

don't ask
02-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Clark Gable's 1934 Oscar for It Happened One Night", which Steven Spielberg bought at auction was given back to the Academy and is on permanent public display at the Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study on La Cienega.

Zebra
02-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Paramount has display of Oscars on their lot.

GuanoLad
02-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Mine keeps my garden shed door open.

HA! ;)

Equipoise
02-05-2005, 12:51 AM
I was interested in the different locations that an Academy award is on public display.

This isn't current, but last year the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago had an Oscars Exhibit (http://www.msichicago.org/scrapbook/scrapbook_exhibits/oscars/index.html) right before the Academy Awards, and all of the Oscars that were to be given out were on display before being packed up and shipped to Los Angeles. I must admit that I got more than a little thrill from being a couple of feet away from a number of Oscars that I knew were going to be given to people involved with The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Of course, I had no idea then that the movie would sweep, and nearly ALL of those Oscars would go to LOTR people. The sweep made seeing the exhibit, in retrospect, all the more special.

Walloon
02-05-2005, 02:47 AM
The Oscar that Shelley Winters won for Best Supporting Actress in The Diary of Anne Frank is on display at the Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam.

anson2995
02-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Clark Gable's 1934 Oscar for It Happened One Night", which Steven Spielberg bought at auction was given back to the Academy and is on permanent public display at the Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study on La Cienega.

Spielberg has bought several Oscars at auction and given them back to the academy.

FWIW, there were three Oscars on display in the lobby of Eastman Kodak's Research Labs when I worked there.

lynxie
02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
See one? Pffft. I have a picture of me holding one! The National Film Board of Canada took one on tour a few years back. Heavy thing, that Oscar. :)

MovieMogul
02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Though I'm tempted to say that this will get a better response over at Cafe Society. Would a mod mind moving it? :)

bonzer
02-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Another pair of My Fair Lady Oscars can be found at the Museum of the Moving Image in London (temporarily closed), which has Cecil Beaton's 2 awards for the film. You can also see a Palme d'Or (Cannes FF) and Golden Bear (Berlin FF) here.

MoMI is now officially permanently closed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2305827.stm). While I don't know whether it applies in these particular cases, most of the items on display came from the BFI's collections and they now have them in storage. The extent of their stated committment to enabling stuff from their collections to be on public display in London has been a contentious issue for the past few years. Currently, their ideas largely turn on what happens with the plans to move the NFT and their head office to a new site. Proposals have collapsed at least once already and I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing most of this stuff anytime soon.

Elendil's Heir
01-09-2011, 11:11 PM

Though I'm tempted to say that this will get a better response over at Cafe Society. Would a mod mind moving it? :)

I've notified the mods.

waterj2
01-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I've notified the mods.It might take a while to get there. Zombies are notoriously slow-moving.

Maybe the last 6 years have turned up some new information.

Jim's Son
01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
The "Oscar" for best picture for "Patton" is on display at the George C Marshall Museum at Virginia Military Institute.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patton_film

Little Nemo
01-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Spielberg has bought several Oscars at auction and given them back to the academy.Has he ever explained why? I know he's rich but this must be costing him some significant money. And returning "lost" Oscars to the Academy seems like a pretty trivial use of money.

Elendil's Heir
01-10-2011, 11:08 AM
He loves Hollywood, its traditions and history, and he's a nice guy (or wants to be seen as one). He has a ridiculous amounts of money and this is one way, for a relative pittance, he can give back to a community which has given him so much.

CalMeacham
01-10-2011, 11:24 AM
There's one at George Bernard Shaw's house in Dublin. I've been there. He got it for the screenplay for "Pygmalion", and it was reportedly used for years as a doorstop (!) It's cleanup up now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_%281938_film%29

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0789737/awards

He is the only person to have been awarded both a Nobel Prize for Literature (1925) and an Oscar (1938), for his contributions to literature and for his work on the film Pygmalion (adaption of his play of the same name), respectively.[2] Shaw wanted to refuse his Nobel Prize outright because he had no desire for public honours, but accepted it at his wife's behest: she considered it a tribute to Ireland. He did reject the monetary award, requesting it be used to finance translation of Swedish books to English.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bernard_Shaw

Little Nemo
01-10-2011, 12:24 PM
He loves Hollywood, its traditions and history, and he's a nice guy (or wants to be seen as one). He has a ridiculous amounts of money and this is one way, for a relative pittance, he can give back to a community which has given him so much.It still seems nonsensical to me. How is returning Oscars to the Academy giving anything back to the community? Who is benefitting from it?

Colibri
01-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Sorry for not getting to this for the last six years, but better late than never, eh?;)

Resurrected four times! You can't keep a good zombie down.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

MovieMogul
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
It's funny that this show be revived (and not by me) since I saw a couple of Oscars while on vacation in Europe.

French film programmer and pseudo-archivist Henri Langlois' Honorary Oscar is on display at the Cinematheque Francaise in Paris

Shelley Winters' first Supporting Actress Oscar for The Diary of Anne Frank is at the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam

Saint Cad
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
He is the only person to have been awarded both a Nobel Prize for Literature (1925) and an Oscar (1938), for his contributions to literature and for his work on the film Pygmalion (adaption of his play of the same name), respectively.[2] Shaw wanted to refuse his Nobel Prize outright because he had no desire for public honours, but accepted it at his wife's behest: she considered it a tribute to Ireland. He did reject the monetary award, requesting it be used to finance translation of Swedish books to English.[3]

Even better, he is the only person to win any Nobel Prize and an Oscar. And to preempt the "Cad, you're an idiot!", Davis Guggenhein and NOT Al Gore won the Oscar for "An Inconvienent Truth".

Wheelz
01-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Chicago's Field Museum is featuring a Gold (http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/gold_tempexhib.htm) exhibit until March 6.
Among the items on display is Susan Sarandon's Oscar for Dead Man Walking. There's also an Emmy, a Golden Globe, and some Olympic gold medals. It's a pretty cool exhibit.

MovieMogul
01-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Even better, he is the only person to win any Nobel Prize and an Oscar. And to preempt the "Cad, you're an idiot!", Davis Guggenhein and NOT Al Gore won the Oscar for "An Inconvienent Truth".There were a couple others who came close--John Steinbeck, Harold Pinter, and Jean-Paul Sartre were all Oscar nominees as well as Nobel winners.

Elendil's Heir
01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
It still seems nonsensical to me. How is returning Oscars to the Academy giving anything back to the community? Who is benefitting from it?

If he hadn't bought them and returned them to the Academy for public display, they'd probably be under a pinlight in some millionaire movie buff's living room somewhere. Public access to history helps keep it alive.

kbear
01-10-2011, 01:40 PM
My next door neighbour kept her Emmy in her office window. She won for art direction for the Paul Adams mini-seires. Then her house was burgled so she keeps it hidden now. It was kind of cool to see it in her window.

Dewey Finn
01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
It still seems nonsensical to me. How is returning Oscars to the Academy giving anything back to the community? Who is benefitting from it?
If he hadn't bought them and returned them to the Academy for public display, they'd probably be under a pinlight in some millionaire movie buff's living room somewhere. Public access to history helps keep it alive.
I think the academy believes that having the award bought and sold like another piece of movie memorabilia devalues it. I believe that recent recipients are required to give the academy the right to purchase the statue back so as to keep them off the market.

DMark
01-10-2011, 02:57 PM
MGM Studios displays many of their Oscars in their entry foyer.
Quite impressive as you walk in.
Problem is, MGM has been bought and sold more often than a hooker on Santa Monica Boulevard, and their offices have moved so often, their employees need a GPS to find their desks.
Thus I cannot tell you exactly where their current office foyer might be.
If you should find that entryway, those shiny Oscars are damned nice to look at.

StusBlues
01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
John Ford's Oscars for How Green Was My Valley (Best Picture and Best Director) are held at the Lilly Library at Indiana University.

blondebear
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
I seem to remember seeing Oscars at the Oakland Museum of California and the Lone Pine Movie Museum, but I don't know what they were for.

My brother works at AMPAS, I wonder if he knows.

GrandWino
01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Here in Chicago a couple of years ago they had an Oscar display at one of the shopping centers on Michigan Ave. It was a temporary thing to promote the show and they had a few Oscars on display, including one (I believe an extra one made for that year's show) that you could hold and get your photo taken with in front of a podium. My pic w/ the statue is pretty ridiculous looking but I had a lot of fun doing it.

Icarus
01-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Here in Chicago a couple of years ago they had an Oscar display at one of the shopping centers on Michigan Ave. It was a temporary thing to promote the show and they had a few Oscars on display, including one (I believe an extra one made for that year's show) that you could hold and get your photo taken with in front of a podium. My pic w/ the statue is pretty ridiculous looking but I had a lot of fun doing it.

They did the same in LA, in the same complex as the Kodak Theater where they hold the ceremony (Hollywood & Highland). The Oscar-you-could-pick-up had a heavy cable attached to the bottom, so you couldn't walk off with it.

I've also held a couple of Emmys - my buddies worked at the TV academy office....