PDA

View Full Version : RIP Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana Troi, Computer Voice

zev_steinhardt
12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.accesshollywood.com/star-trek-creators-widow-passes-away_article_12706

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, the wife of “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry, has passed away, Access Hollywood has learned. She was 76.

Zev Steinhardt

jayjay
12-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh, no! :(

KneadToKnow
12-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Shit.

jayjay
12-18-2008, 04:44 PM
I didn't even know she was ill. I hadn't seen anything about it.

emmaliminal
12-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Nooo!

That sucks.

zev_steinhardt
12-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Personally, I thought that Number One (from The Cage) and Nurse Chapel were blah characters. Lwaxana, however, was a great character. She did a great job with her.

Zev Steinhardt

levdrakon
12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Ah man! That's really sad.

Let's not forget her work on Earth: Final Conflict, either.

The Devil's Grandmother
12-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Whaa! How terrible! MSNBC says leukemia. I didn't even know she was ill.

BrainGlutton
12-18-2008, 05:05 PM
She did the computer voice too? Hm. Never knew that.

RIP, Most Excellent Consort of the Great Bird!

WordMan
12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
She was an essential part of the ST family and will be missed.

alphaboi867
12-18-2008, 05:10 PM
This is sad. :( On the bright side she's probally enough voice work to continue playing the voice of the computer in any future Star Trek productions.

Don Draper
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Anybody know if she did the computer voice for the new re-imagined (or re-booted, or whatever) Star Trek film coming out?

IMO, they ought to dedicate the film to her.

KneadToKnow
12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Anybody know if she did the computer voice for the new re-imagined (or re-booted, or whatever) Star Trek film coming out?

IMO, they ought to dedicate the film to her.

IMDb credits her as Enterprise Computer (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000854/) for the new film.

And I agree with the dedication idea.

[memory I wish I didn't have]
Went to see Undiscovered Country and when the title card dedicating the film to Gene came up, snot-nosed asswipe in the seat in front of me turns to his equally snot-nosed asswipe friend and says, "Who's that?"
[/memory I wish I didn't have]

levdrakon
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
IMO, they ought to dedicate the film to her.I'd be enormously surprised if they didn't.

Skammer
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM

IMO, they ought to dedicate the film to her. My co-worker just told me she did indeed. That is a fitting end to her career.

DSYoungEsq
12-18-2008, 05:30 PM
My favorite line of hers was when the Enterprise computer has been "upgraded" to give it personality and she replies to Kirk's memorandum about scrapping the upgrade with, "Computed." There is genuine hurt in her voice as she says it. Steals the scene, and does it without even being seen!

teela brown
12-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Crap. Her characters could get on my nerves a bit, but I understood she wanted to poke a little fun at the stodginess of the series and respected her for it. That's a shame. And she did have a killer voice.

ivylass
12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Well, phooey.

But, Gene waited a long time for her to join him...I'm glad they're together again.

friedo
12-18-2008, 05:40 PM
My favorite line of hers was when the Enterprise computer has been "upgraded" to give it personality and she replies to Kirk's memorandum about scrapping the upgrade with, "Computed." There is genuine hurt in her voice as she says it. Steals the scene, and does it without even being seen!

There's a great scene in the one of the very few good Voyager episodes (Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy) wherein the Doc starts having hallucinations. In one fantasy, he is convinced that there's going to be a warp core breach, and Majel's voice booms "Warning: Warp Core Breach a lot sooner than you think! Time to be a hero, Doctor, GET GOING!"

She does it with such comic sincerity yet still manages to sound like a computer. A truly great moment in voice acting.

jayjay
12-18-2008, 05:46 PM
There's a great scene in the one of the very few good Voyager episodes (Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy) wherein the Doc starts having hallucinations. In one fantasy, he is convinced that there's going to be a warp core breach, and Majel's voice booms "Warning: Warp Core Breach a lot sooner than you think! Time to be a hero, Doctor, GET GOING!"

She does it with such comic sincerity yet still manages to sound like a computer. A truly great moment in voice acting.

Youtube link to that scene. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7eY8so9-rI) It IS great!

running coach
12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
She did the computer voice too? Hm. Never knew that.

RIP, Most Excellent Consort of the Great Bird!

I don't remember how long ago this was and it may no longer be true but at that time, due to her voice work as the computer, she had "appeared" in every episode of all four series and all the films.

levdrakon
12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
When I was a kid, I used to think the Bell Telephone operator voice was her too, but I guess it was Jane Barbe.

Tuckerfan
12-18-2008, 05:54 PM

Mine was her doing the voice of Stewie's computer in one episode of Family Guy.

KneadToKnow
12-18-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't remember how long ago this was and it may no longer be true but at that time, due to her voice work as the computer, she had "appeared" in every episode of all four series and all the films.

I think that's only true if you consider her to be "playing" the ship itself. There are quite a few episodes where we don't hear the computer speak.

Malacandra
12-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Aww, crappity. :(

One by one they're all off where... pretty much every man has gone before, or will. Roddenberry, Kelley, Doohan, now Barrett. :(

Raguleader
12-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Oddly enough, the memory of her voice acting which most stands out for me is from "Best of Both Worlds, Part II" after the recap, with her saying "And now... the conclusion."

Hey, it was a great episode :D

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
12-18-2008, 06:16 PM
One by one, the greatest Starfleet crew vanishes. :(

Icerigger
12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
If I am not mistaken she was the only person to "appear" in every Trek incarnation.

alphaboi867
12-18-2008, 06:32 PM
If I am not mistaken she was the only person to "appear" in every Trek incarnation.

I think you're right. She's certainly the only person to play the same character in every incarnation.

jayjay
12-18-2008, 06:40 PM
She did a lot of voice work in the Star Trek animated series, as well, particularly the Cattian crewmember, M'ress, and Nurse Chapel.

Terrifel
12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Peace and farewell, ever-bright and hopeful vision.

Spurious George
12-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Sniff. I hear her voice every day, as my computer starts up and shuts down. A great loss, and another reason to look forward to the new film, featuring her final performance.

Spatial Rift 47
12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Damn.

cochrane
12-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Damn, it's sad she's gone. I hope she's with Gene somewhere, despite Roddenberry's beliefs.

And yes, she was in all five series. Or at least her voice was. In the Enterprise two-parter, "In A Mirror, Darkly," she provided the computer's voice for the mirror universe's U.S.S. Defiant, the Constitution-class vessel and sister ship to the Enterprise NCC-1701 which disappeared in Tholian space.

BrainGlutton
12-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Recalling two verses from the Leslie Fish filk classic, Banned from Argo: (http://www.ovff.org/pegasus/songs/banned-from-argo.html)

Our proper, cool First Officer was drugged with something green,
And hauled into an alley, where he suffered things obscene.
He sobered up in Sickbay and he's none the worse for wear,
Except he's somehow taught the bridge computer how to swear.

The Head Nurse disappeared awhile in the major Dope Bazaar,
Buying an odd green potion "guaranteed to cause Pon-Farr."
She came home with no uniform and an oddly cheerful heart,
And a painful way of walking-with her feet a yard apart.

Skald the Rhymer
12-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Personally, I thought that Number One (from The Cage) and Nurse Chapel were blah characters. Lwaxana, however, was a great character. She did a great job with her.

Zev Steinhardt

The former two were blah characters, I admit, but that was hardly her fault; it was the sexist assumptions of the writing (and the fact that Number One got, what, 5 minutes of screen time). I loved Lwaxana, though, and I am sorry to hear of her death.

DeafAngelboy23
12-18-2008, 07:47 PM
"They will continue the voyages we have begun and journey to all the undiscovered countries boldy going where no man, where no one...has gone before."

kasuo
12-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Damn, sad to hear.

I always got a kick out of her calling Worf as "Mister Woof."

TWDuke
12-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I think Number One could have been a fascinating character (as well as something of a pop-culture milestone). As Skald points out, we never got a chance to know her.

jkusters
12-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I had the sincere pleasure of meeting and talking with Majel at several sci-fi cons in the greater California area. She was the sweetest lady, even to unimportant "gophers" like myself. I will miss her greatly.

RickJay
12-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Lwaxana Troi was indeed a great character and Majel Barrett played her perfectly. She injected life into what was often a very sterile, dry show.

Quasimodem
12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
I am sorry to know of this. From the original series on, she has remained my favorite actress of the entire Star Trek "family", not because of her acting skills per se, but her quiet empathy.

Will she join her husband in space? Anyone know?

Thanks

Q

What Exit?
12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Damn, they're going quick now aren't they.

Of the remaining George Takei is the youngster at 71. Walter Koenig is 72. Shatner & Nimoy are 77 already. Nichelle Nichols is about to turn 76.

It is amazing looking at her credits (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000854/)and realizing just how much Star Trek was her life.

A sad day,
Jim

foolsguinea
12-18-2008, 09:14 PM
:holds up a candle in requiem:

jayjay
12-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Damn, it's sad she's gone. I hope she's with Gene somewhere, despite Roddenberry's beliefs.

And yes, she was in all five series.

Six. She did voicework in the Animated Series as well.

matt_mcl
12-18-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who loved Lwaxana. RIP, Majel.

matt_mcl
12-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Every one of us has a thousand different kinds of tiny people inside us. Some of them want to get out and be wild; some want to be sad, or happy, or inventive or even go dancing. That's why we have different urges at different times. And all those different little people inside us? We must never be afraid to take them with us wherever we go. Who knows when we might need one of them to pop up and rescue us from ourselves. Variety, my little Alex. The great secret is not the variety of life; but the variety of us!

- Lwaxana Troi, "Cost of Living"

cochrane
12-19-2008, 01:30 AM

And yes, she was in all five series. Or at least her voice was. In the Enterprise two-parter, "In A Mirror, Darkly," she provided the computer's voice for the mirror universe's U.S.S. Defiant, the Constitution-class vessel and sister ship to the Enterprise NCC-1701 which disappeared in Tholian space.

Six. She did voicework in the Animated Series as well.

Yes, you're right. I even have the complete animated series box set. I was referring to the five live-action series, which were different incarnations. I considered the animated series as an extension of the original series, when rightly, it should be numbered on its own.

Wile E
12-19-2008, 01:43 AM
I was just reading an article only a couple days ago about how she was doing the computer voice in the new Star Trek movie. There was no mention of her being ill so I was shocked to hear of her passing.

critter42
12-19-2008, 02:31 AM
One of the articles said it was a "short battle" with leukemia - must have been extremely aggressive. The Wikipedia entry for her has a picture taken in '07 and she looked extremely good for 75!

Achren
12-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Sad news. I grew up on Star Trek and I'm so used to her being a part of it. I had no idea she was 76 - she's always seemed an odd mix of ageless/young.

She died on my birthday. It feels odd, knowing that the two will be associated in my mind now.

jayjay
12-19-2008, 07:58 AM
One of the articles said it was a "short battle" with leukemia - must have been extremely aggressive. The Wikipedia entry for her has a picture taken in '07 and she looked extremely good for 75!

One of the articles I read said she was diagnosed six months ago. That is a VERY short battle.

Qadgop the Mercotan
12-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I always loved the scene from the blooper reel which showed the sick bay being tossed about, with McCoy and Chapel reeling from side to side. Suddenly McCoy grabs Chapel from behind, and clings desperately to her breasts! It's fun to watch her dissolve with laughter towards the end of the clip.

You can see it at 3:45 in this youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBQi7VXsT8Y

I'll miss her.

Annie-Xmas
12-19-2008, 09:07 AM
The Father & Mother of Star Trek are gone. That makes me very sad. :(

Icerigger
12-19-2008, 09:46 AM
IMHO her best episode was TNG's "Half a Life" it gave her a rare dramatic and heartfelt role as opposed to lighter comic episodes.

BTW Gene R was a dick to her, literally, he screwed anything that moved including Nichelle Nichols, then again he was cheating on his first wife with Majel. Such is Hollywood I guess.

Zebra
12-19-2008, 09:48 AM
That's not just Hollywood. It happens in Tulsa too.

I'm glad she did the computer voice for the new film. It will give a touch of continuity that the film will need.

Quadgop, that's my favorite clip as well.

What Exit?
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
BTW Gene R was a dick to her, literally, he screwed anything that moved including Nichelle Nichols, then again he was cheating on his first wife with Majel. Such is Hollywood I guess.

It appears they lived in a different world and a different time and she was understanding of him. Maybe they both just had different values from you. She always seemed to love him.

Pushkin
12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I took an early night, else I would have seen this plastered all over the Star Trek boards I use. A real shame to know that she's long gone when I finally get to see the new film, but a nice link to the past.

Inevitable that so many of the cast and crew should now have passed away, I guess the bridge scene at the end of TWOK should answer how Trekkies should be feeling right now :)

It appears they lived in a different world and a different time and she was understanding of him. Maybe they both just had different values from you. She always seemed to love him.

I got that vibe from the "Inside Star Trek" book.

jayjay
12-19-2008, 10:09 AM

I'm not judging either of them here, but it seems that when you are the other woman to his first wife, you're kind of getting a preview of what married life with him is going to be like. If Majel went ahead and married him knowing this (and, again, how could she not?) and basically agreeing to an "arrangement", then more power to them.

Baker
12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I loved the episode of Babylon 5 she appeared in. She was a Centauri woman, one of the three widows of the recently dieceased emperor.

A prophetess, she told Londo Mollari what he most wanted to hear, that someday he too would be Emperor of Centauri. Then she turned to his aide, Vir Kotto, and said "and so will you!"

I loved her as Lwaxana Troi

Saltire
12-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I have been ostensibly introduced to a few Star Trek actors, but Majel is the only one I ever had a (short) conversation with. Of course, it was something of an awkward talk, since the subject was the t-shirt I was wearing with the unlicensed image of the Enterprise, and she wanted to know who she should sue over it. But I did appreciate that she didn't blame me for buying it, she just blamed the creator and vendor of the item. Since I bought it in the lobby after a lecture by her husband, I'd assumed it was kosher.

She was a nice lady and businesswoman. I don't think most folks remember that she ran Lincoln Enterprises, the company that marketed and licensed all the legally-allowed Star Trek stuff. She kept herself busy between calls from the movie and TV producers.

Raguleader
12-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I loved the episode of Babylon 5 she appeared in. She was a Centauri woman, one of the three widows of the recently dieceased emperor.

A prophetess, she told Londo Mollari what he most wanted to hear, that someday he too would be Emperor of Centauri. Then she turned to his aide, Vir Kotto, and said "and so will you!"

I loved her as Lwaxana Troi

"But two people can't be Emperor at once!"

"No. One of you will be Emperor when the other dies.":D

TWDuke
12-19-2008, 03:06 PM
"But two people can't be Emperor at once!"

"No. One of you will be Emperor when the other dies.":DHmm. It would have been better without pounding the nail on the head so hard, I think.

Kolga
12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I thought Lwaxana Troi was a fabulous character - irritating, condescending, amazingly petty, and utterly real.

RIP.

jayjay
12-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I thought Lwaxana Troi was a fabulous character - irritating, condescending, amazingly petty, and utterly real.

But capable of some incredible acts of compassion when a moment of clarity intrudes upon her First Daughter of Betazed bubble. Lwaxana was one of the more three-dimensional characters in the Trek canon, both in TNG and DS9.

Mister Rik
12-19-2008, 08:47 PM

I no longer have a link, but I watched an interview with Majel and her son, and her son said of Lwaxana, "That's Mom." She was essentially playing herself.

bobkitty
12-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Having had the pleasure of attending college with him (and shamelessly "using" him to rope his mom into coming to our SciFi convention- "Don't you want to come visit your son?"), I would like to extend my sincere condolences to Rod. I can't imagine what it must be like to be orphaned in such a.. public way, at a reasonably young age (let's see, he was around 2 years behind me, so he's in his early 30s).

:(

carnivorousplant
12-19-2008, 09:29 PM
"That's Mom."

It is rumored that he had a Space 1999 lunchbox and didn't believe his parents had anything to do with Trek. :)

tarragon918
12-19-2008, 10:35 PM
There was a little jolt for me when I read of Majel Barrett's passing. My great Star Trek crush as a teen was for Spock, so I related to Nurse Chapel although I did not want her love for Spock to be returned. I've always enjoyed the original pilot, with Jeffrey Hunter and Majel as Number One, too. Lwaxana Troi, though, is probably her most memorable Trek character for me. It's hard to overlook the voice she provided for so many computers down through the years, though!

One thing is for certain: she will continue to "live" on through tv and film, in her many characters and voices. RIP, Majel; together again with Gene.

BaneSidhe
12-19-2008, 11:20 PM
RIP, Majel. You will be sorely missed. Peaceful journey to you.

janis_and_c0
12-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Was sorry to hear this. Menage a Troi is one of my favorite Next Gen episodes.

Cliffy
12-20-2008, 09:17 AM
This sucks.

I agree that Nurse Chapel wasn't the most interesting character, but she had her moments (and I always found Barrett surprisingly foxy in that platinum wig). And I agree that she managed to capture how annoying Lwaxana was to those around here without (mostly) making her annoying to the audience. I was very happy when she got included in Enterprise, small as her part was.

--Cliffy

Dr. Rieux
12-20-2008, 01:20 PM
What a lady. Her appearances as Lwaxana were always the high point of the season for me. Now when I hear her voice in the next movie, I'm gonna start crying.

According to Wikipedia, she is also the voice that alerts Union Pacific train crews to problems.

Loach
12-20-2008, 01:36 PM
According to Wikipedia, she is also the voice that alerts Union Pacific train crews to problems.

I can hear her voice in my head, "Warning, hobo on the tracks."

Clothahump
12-20-2008, 05:05 PM
The computer's being rebooted......

RIP, Majel

Baker
12-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Hmm. It would have been better without pounding the nail on the head so hard, I think.

You're right, but then we wouldn't have got the scene with Londo and Vir sneaking suspicious looks at each other!:D

Mehitabel
12-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Another face and voice from my childhood fades away...

Perhaps my favorite performance from her was the TOS 'Return to Tomorrow', when she reveals Spock's "consciousness" (katra?) was stored in her. "It was beautiful", she sighs.

So was she.

cochrane
12-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Sad news. I grew up on Star Trek and I'm so used to her being a part of it. I had no idea she was 76 - she's always seemed an odd mix of ageless/young.

She died on my birthday. It feels odd, knowing that the two will be associated in my mind now.
I know the feeling, if I can be permitted a hijack. Jim Henson and Sammy Davis, Jr., two supremely talented men, both died on my birthday in 1990.

Skald the Rhymer
12-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Another face and voice from my childhood fades away...

Perhaps my favorite performance from her was the TOS 'Return to Tomorrow', when she reveals Spock's "consciousness" (katra?) was stored in her. "It was beautiful", she sighs.

So was she.

They weren't saying katras then, but I assume it was one & the same. And yes, she was quite lovely in that scene, but she always looked better as a brunette.