PDA

View Full Version : ID this 70's movie

Knowed Out
02-03-2009, 09:23 AM
I googled the world over and couldn't find anything.

This movie probably only lasted in the theatres a week, and for some reason it's burning a hole in my brain and I need closure.

There were no big name stars as I recall. At least they weren't back then.

A guy goes to college with aspirations of becoming a film director. He idolizes Woody Allen. He's shy and socially awkward, and his counselor is a short fat guy who speaks with a fancy evil voice as he cajoles our guy into living the wild party life.

The counselor talks him into signing up for some kind of sexual awareness class, and the teacher is a sultry ingenue who talks about self-gratification. "I masturbate. You masturbate. There's nothing wrong with it..." as our guy cringes in embarrassment.

Our guy eventually runs across a beautiful babe and has the hots for her, but she totally walks on top of him like a bug.

In film class, the instructor is a nerdy liberal type who's totally captivated by this pretensious blowhard who dominates the class discussions. Our guy tries to sell interest in making entertaining comedies, but the instructor and the blowhard always shoot him down.

Despite this, our guy does generate interest in getting his class project made, which is to be a spy movie spoof. One classmate is the cliche ugly duckling girl who turns into a knockout by the end of the movie. Our guy's not interested in her, though. He still has the hots for the babe he met earlier, and asks her to be in his movie. She accepts, because she's vain. She turns out to be an overbearing diva who demands that he fire the guys he recruited to help make the film.

Eventually, our guy goes to visit his counselor, who's not in his office. Our guy finds a folder with his name on it, and finds out his counselor has been using him in a sex study without his knowledge. So he confiscates the folder, and leaves a voice message for his counselor saying he'll turn the evidence over to the dean unless he agrees to his demands. Which is, to be the villain in his movie.

Also, the diva quits, and our guy gets the ugly duckling to take her place. When she puts on the clothes and makeup, she of course becomes a knockout. Our guy's film winds up winning the big contest, and he's subsequently hired by some big time producer to direct his movie. Our guy rides off in a limo with his ugly duckling girlfriend, while the diva tries to get back into his good graces.

Sound familiar?

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
02-03-2009, 09:40 AM
The First Time (1983) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085546/).

The film student would be best remembered as Zathras, the troublesome alien on Babylon 5. He died a couple of years ago in a motorcycle or car accident.

Wallace Shawn, while not a household name, is a very solid and reliable character actor.

ETA: Looking down the credit list, I see several names that I recognize, too, although I couldn't id them if I had to--except for Calvert DeForest. Didn't remember him.

Knowed Out
02-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Wow, good job Snake Hips! I had no idea Zathras was Zathras.

I now have closure and can obsess about something new and unimportant. :-)