PDA

View Full Version : Saving window size

DesertDog
04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
This week at work, the IT guys gave me a new box (yay). Unfortunately, one of the applications I use most isn't so handy any more (boo). We have software files that we download into credit card terminals to make them work; the the application in question is used to create and edit those files. The program's last copyright date is 2005 so it's been around a while. The box is running on XP Pro.

There are several directories in a left hand window, indicated by the usual Windows Explorer file folder icon. The folders don't expand to show their contents, though. Instead you highlight the proper folder (depending on the model of the terminal), put the file name (an eight digit number) in a field above, and a folder with the file's number appears in a right hand window. That folder can be expanded showing several folders within and those folders in turn expanded to show various files, indicated with a spreadsheet-looking kind of icon. When those are clicked on, a daughter window opens up where we can put in information pertaining to that merchant, and check various boxes to make the application do what we want.

It's the daughter windows that are the the problem. On the old box, and every other box I've been on, the daughter windows opened to a reasonable size. This one, all that appears is the title bar. I can't even use the full-size button in the right hand to expand the window. I have to grab the lower right corner (usually), pull the window open just a bit, then click on the button to expand.

The only way I know to save window size is to close the program with the window at the desired size. This app makes you close the daughter windows before you can exit the app. I've tried right-clicking on the app's button in the task bar, and selecting Close there with a daughter window open -- it didn't help.

Needless to say, there is no help file for the app. All clicking on Help does is open the About screen. Going to the IT guys will not likely be of use; they take about two weeks to get back to you, and nine times out of ten their answer it to reimage the hard drive. So, are there any sekrit ways to tell a program what your favored window size is?

FORTRAN forever
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Ex-Windows-programmer chiming here.

Whenever you resize a window your program gets a message from the Windows operating system telling it what the new window size is. Many programs promptly save that new window size somewhere (either in an INI file or the registry) and use it as the new initial window size the next time they start up. That's NOT a requirement, however, and apparently your particular program doesn't do it. Given that, I suspect there's not going to be a good answer for you beyond "learn to live with it".

Wish I had a better answer, but unfortunately I don't.

t-bonham@scc.net
04-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Ex-Windows-programmer chiming here.

Whenever you resize a window your program gets a message from the Windows operating system telling it what the new window size is. Many programs promptly save that new window size somewhere (either in an INI file or the registry) and use it as the new initial window size the next time they start up. That's NOT a requirement, however, and apparently your particular program doesn't do it. Given that, I suspect there's not going to be a good answer for you beyond "learn to live with it".But that answer doesn't explain this part:
On the old box, and every other box I've been on, the daughter windows opened to a reasonable size.

So the question for DesertDog is about the OS version used on the old box as compared to the new one -- any change?

DesertDog
04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
So the question for DesertDog is about the OS version used on the old box as compared to the new one -- any change?Nope. NT Pro in both cases.

FORTRAN forever
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
The difference might have something to do with different screen resolution on the new computer versus its predecessors. As a test, try changing the screen resolution on the new computer to whatever resolution its immediate predecessor used and see if the program still acts differently on the two boxes.

FORTRAN forever
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
As a test, try changing the screen resolution ...

Sorry, I should have mentioned how to do that on the off chance that you didn't know. Find an empty spot on the desktop, then right-click on it and select "Properties" from the menu that appears. Then select the "settings" tab from the window that pops up. Move the slider bar to the new resolution that you want and click on "Apply".

If the screen turns disastrously bad (probably because the monitor can't handle the new resolution), just wait fifteen seconds and the screen will return to your prior resolution. That's because a menuitem that you can't see (because your screen has gone bonkers) was asking you "Do you want to keep these settings?" and assumed that you didn't after fifteen seconds.

DesertDog
04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
The difference might have something to do with different screen resolution on the new computer versus its predecessors. As a test, try changing the screen resolution on the new computer to whatever resolution its immediate predecessor used and see if the program still acts differently on the two boxes.That's probably it; I changed from a 19-in CRT to two 15-in flat screen monitors. Unfortunately, "they" have locked out the display properties all together.

Omphaloskeptic
04-06-2009, 11:54 PM
It's the daughter windows that are the the problem. On the old box, and every other box I've been on, the daughter windows opened to a reasonable size. This one, all that appears is the title bar.As FORTRAN forever says, it's the application's responsibility to save this information. This is often done by means of either registry entries or initialization files. One possibility is that this information has gotten corrupted (possibly your application doesn't understand multiple displays). You might be able to get to a more usable state by editing these values, or just deleting them and hoping that the application restores a reasonable default.

This obviously might cause more problems than you already have, so be careful; make backups before you change anything. If it's in the registry, it sounds like it's unlikely that you have privileges to edit it anyway, but obviously you should be very careful with regedit. If it's a file, it might be in some program subdirectory of Application Data or Local Settings, or just somewhere within the program's main application directory; you might try poking around for anything that looks like an initialization file, and then either seeing if it's editable, or renaming it and see if the program gets better next time you run it.

Mr. Slant
04-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Nope. NT Pro in both cases.

Which OS is that?
Perhaps sir means XP Professional?

DesertDog
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
XP Pro is right. I was in a hurry.

RegEdit scares me. I guess I'll live with it.

Mr. Slant
04-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Try to see if you house IT department will do the regediting for you.