PDA

View Full Version : VHS to PC

jsc1953
04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I know that you can buy hardware, that's basically a VCR with a USB adapter that plugs into your PC, allowing you to copy your old VHS tapes to your computer.

But let's say I'm a tightwad, and don't want to invest a Benjamin into something I'll only use until all my old tapes are copied.

Can you get a cable with Red/Yellow/White jacks on one end, and USB on the other, and plug your old VCR into your PC? And would your computer software (say, Muvee) be able to read the input when you press Play on the VCR?

HorseloverFat
04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
You want a USB capture card. (http://www.google.com/products?q=usb+capture+card&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=tKv0Se-lJpKMtgOmudHuCg&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1)

jsc1953
04-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Awesome! Thanks.

Apocalypso
04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Just curious if the VHS tape you're copying has closed-captioning on it, will the CC be on the captured output? I have the A&E movie Ivanhoe on vhs, and it has captioning, but the DVD version of the movie does not have captioning or subtitles. ]

This is the only reason I still own a VCR.