PDA

View Full Version : Can i still coll[e]ct unemployment if I move out of the country?

satoridt
06-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I recently got laid off due to budget cuts (thanks Pawlenty!). One option i am considering is teaching English in Taiwan. My brother did it and had a great experience. The work would only be part time and i have a tone of student loan debt. Can i still collect partial unemployment if i live in Taiwan?

Duckster
06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
See ...

http://www.uimn.org/ui/faq_elig.htm
http://www.uimn.org/ui/fraud.htm

The Second Stone
06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I recently got laid off due to budget cuts (thanks Pawlenty!). One option i am considering is teaching English in Taiwan. My brother did it and had a great experience. The work would only be part time and i have a tone of student loan debt. Can i still collect partial unemployment if i live in Taiwan?

I've read Nigerian con spams more literate than your post. You might want to reconsider teaching English. For example, "I", the pronoun, is always capitalized. Collrct is spelled "collect". "Tone" is spelled "ton". A second grade student shouldn't make the mistakes you made.

Gfactor
06-19-2009, 03:03 PM
I've read Nigerian con spams more literate than your post. You might want to reconsider teaching English. For example, "I", the pronoun, is always capitalized. Collrct is spelled "collect". "Tone" is spelled "ton". A second grade student shouldn't make the mistakes you made.

This sort of snark isn't permitted in the General Questions forum. Please do not do this again. No warning issued.

Gfactor
General Questions Moderator

Gfactor
06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Fixed spelling in thread title.

Gfactor

SandyHook
06-19-2009, 03:22 PM
If you are working you can't legally draw unemployment.

There are, I think, some exceptions in some states if you're only making diddly squat. But my guess is that whatever you'd be making teaching english would be, at the least, squat and so over that possible limit.

Harriet the Spry
06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't have a definitive answer to the living overseas part, but in general to collect unemployment while working part time, you need to be available for and looking for full-time work, and demonstrate that to the unemployment office.

satoridt
06-20-2009, 12:12 AM

I wrote it on my iPod. Thanks for the constructive post though, you're a real gem.

Gfactor
06-20-2009, 12:14 AM
I wrote it on my iPod. Thanks for the constructive post though, you're a real gem.

I already asked him to quit the snark, lets not continue the hostilities.

Gfactor

runcible spoon
06-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Ok, so forgetting the part-time bit, what about generally? Sticking with the English-teaching job, what happens if you get laid off of that? Can you collect unemployment? Alternately, supposing I'm already collecting unemployment (like, if I'm laid off now), and I move to Taiwan looking for an English teaching job. Can I collect unemployment while I'm there?

Gfactor
06-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Jurisdictions vary on the treatment of part-time work. Here's a typical scheme:

If you are working part-time, your Weekly Benefit Rate will be reduced by an amount equal to two-thirds (2/3) of your gross wages for that week, rounded to the nearest dollar. To be eligible for this payment the law provides that:

-you must be employed less than full-time; the number of hours you are working during the week is less than the number of hours
customarily considered to be full-time for that job and/or employer;
-you must be able to work and available for work as defined by law;
-you did not refuse additional hours. http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/progsupt/unemplt/new-faqui.htm#7

Many states permit you to leave the jurisdiction and keep getting benefits: 13. I'm moving ... What can I do about my Unemployment Insurance Benefits?

If you move out of Connecticut, you may continue to file for Unemployment Compensation Benefits from out of state. This is called an Interstate claim. Connecticut will still be the paying state so you must continue to meet all Connecticut eligibility requirements. The toll-free number for the Interstate Claims Unit is 1-800-942-6653. http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/progsupt/unemplt/new-faqui.htm#13

DrDeth
06-20-2009, 01:18 AM
What state do you live in?

satoridt
06-20-2009, 10:16 AM
What state do you live in?

Minnesota

Gfactor
06-20-2009, 10:25 AM
What does available for work mean?

Available for work means you are ready and willing to accept work in your usual occupation or other suitable employment.

This includes being:

* ready to accept work immediately if employment is offered to you. You are not eligible if you are out of the area for a reason other than to seek work.
* willing to accept employment for all shifts and days that are normal for your occupation.
* willing to accept the wage most employers in your area pay for your occupation for someone with your qualifications and experience.
* willing to commute a reasonable distance to work.

Being available also includes having transportation, such as a personal vehicle, public transit, or car pool, and making necessary family care arrangements. (Emphasis added.) http://www.uimn.org/ui/faq_elig.htm

psychonaut
06-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I recently got laid off due to budget cuts (thanks Pawlenty!). One option i am considering is teaching English in Taiwan. My brother did it and had a great experience. The work would only be part time and i have a tone of student loan debt. Can i still collect partial unemployment if i live in Taiwan?It depends on the laws of the two countries you're moving between. Some countries have treaties concerning unemployment benefits. For instance, someone who is collecting unemployment benefits in Germany can move to the UK and still collect their benefit; their claim will be transferred from the German Arbeitsamt to the UK Department of Work and Pensions, and then be paid to them by the DWP in pounds. I suspect this arrangement holds for all countries within the EU.

The best thing to do is to contact your local unemployment office and ask whether it's possible to continue to collect your benefit abroad, or whether there is any provision to transfer the benefit to the relevant unemployment office in Taiwan. Even if that's not possible, you may be able to make a new claim for unemployment in Taiwan, provided you are eligible. (In most jurisdictions, this would mean that you have legal permanent residency status. If you're just there on a temporary visa, you probably won't be able to collect anything.)

MannyL
06-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I work for Unemployment in New Jersey. I do not know what state you are in nor is the advise I'm going to give be specific to you in your situation.

As far as NJ is concerned if you are working under 32 hours a week and earning less than your partial benefits you can live anywhere that we have a reciprocal agreement with. That means any US State and PR as well as Canada.

I do not know of any other country you can move to and still collect unemployment benefits in.

MikeS
06-20-2009, 03:33 PM
It depends on the laws of the two countries you're moving between. Some countries have treaties concerning unemployment benefits. For instance, someone who is collecting unemployment benefits in Germany can move to the UK and still collect their benefit; their claim will be transferred from the German Arbeitsamt to the UK Department of Work and Pensions, and then be paid to them by the DWP in pounds. I suspect this arrangement holds for all countries within the EU.Given the rather unusual status of Taiwan on the world diplomatic scene, it strikes me as somewhat unlikely that the United States would have signed a treaty with them concerning unemployment benefits.

Monty
06-20-2009, 06:02 PM
You know what happens when you lose your job teaching English in South Korea? You leave the country. Also, South Korea does have unemployment insurance but for E-2 visa holders, they cannot draw the bennies. That's why we don't pay into the UI fund.

Really Not All That Bright
06-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Given the rather unusual status of Taiwan on the world diplomatic scene, it strikes me as somewhat unlikely that the United States would have signed a treaty with them concerning unemployment benefits.
Or concerning anything, for that matter, since we don't officially recognize their government.

SmackFu
06-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Are we talking legally or practically here?

I'm under the impression that nowadays any kind of verifications for unemployment is done via phone. So, I would think as long as your cell phone works in Taiwan, you could get by. They are certainly not going to be informed about your Taiwanese earnings.

Gfactor
06-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Are we talking legally or practically here?

I'm under the impression that nowadays any kind of verifications for unemployment is done via phone. So, I would think as long as your cell phone works in Taiwan, you could get by. They are certainly not going to be informed about your Taiwanese earnings.

We're talking, at a minimum, about non-illegal methods of collecting unemployment. What you're describing here (failure to report employment and wages) is unemployment fraud.

Gfactor

MannyL
06-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Well he could call in and report earnings if his original state allows partial benefits and he is meeting those terms. The problem is he would have to move without updating his address which may violate the regulations in his state.

Gfactor
06-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Well he could call in and report earnings if his original state allows partial benefits and he is meeting those terms. The problem is he would have to move without updating his address which may violate the regulations in his state.

I agree, but that's not what SmackFu was suggesting. And it's not a big deal. I was just trying to redirect the discussion to legal means of obtaining unemployment compensation.

Gfactor

MannyL
06-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I agree that is not what SmackFu was suggesting however I was offering a possible legal alternative. I do not know the regulations in the OP's state but I find what the OP is asking to do unethical, but that is more the IMHO realm.

Gfactor
06-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree that is not what SmackFu was suggesting however I was offering a possible legal alternative. I do not know the regulations in the OP's state but I find what the OP is asking to do unethical, but that is more the IMHO realm.

Yeah. You are right. And thanks, btw, for your input about the agreements. I'd found a case that mentioned an enabling statute, but had no luck finding an example of such an agreement (I didn't try that hard).

Alpha17
04-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Here is the scenario:

You are a certified English teacher to teach abroad and have done it in the past. You were then working odd jobs and construction in NY until being laid off. You then fill for UI and collect benefits. You travel and seek work outside of the U.S. through various teaching job interviews, online inquiries, and resume submissions. You travel to a few different countries while seeking employment for a teaching position all the while collecting UI. If the construction company had emailed or contacted you to return to work, you would have. After many attempts at interviewing with foreign country schools, you return back to NY still collecting UI. Apply for more jobs and still no luck. Take on a seasonal position that you worked at during college that employed you for 3 months. After the job was finished, collected benefits again. After months, you want to try teaching English again outside the country and set up interviews. You leave to go on these interviews while collecting UI. The unemployment office has recently sent a letter stating that they have been aware that a you are have certified for benefits while out of the country.

Would I be able to retain the benefits collected? On the grounds of I was looking for work in my field (teaching English over seas).

Any and all help in this matter would be appreciated.