PDA

View Full Version : Examples Of Actors Playing Best Friends, When In Real Life The Actors Hate Each Other

MPB in Salt Lake
07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
I remember when Bea Arthur died, someone said that she and Betty White couldnt stand each other in real life, despite playing close friends on "Golden Girls" for several seasons.............

I think that there was also bad blood between some of the "Star Trek" cast, but dont know the series enough to recall the details.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any other examples of actors who hate each other but are still convincing playing close friends on screen?

(any examples shared dont need to be blood fueds, just good stories of cast conflicts between actors who appear to be buddies in thier roles)

Freudian Slit
07-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I've heard that Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth (Galina and Elphaba in the original cast of Wicked) hated each other.

Apparently there were feuds between Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall on Sex and the City. Or, well, disagreements at least.

astorian
07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
If married couples count, it's well documented that "Fred and Ethel Mertz" (William Frawley and Vivian Vance) from "I Love Lucy" couldn't stand each other.

And if lovers count, it's pretty well documented that Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd disliked each other.

Zsofia
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I doubt they hate each other, but after the actors who play Chase and Cameron on House broke off their engagement, their characters got married. That couldn't have been the most fun awesome thing ever.

Icerigger
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Jamie and Adam on Mythbusters, respect yes friendship no.

Freudian Slit
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
For couples--in Dirty Dancing, Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze couldn't stand each other.

astorian
07-27-2009, 05:21 PM
And of course, there have been countless comedy teams or show biz acts in which the two partners detest each other, even as they act buddy-buddy on stage.

For that reason alone, it was refreshing when I heard Penn Jillette tell Larry King that, a big part of the reason for his successful relationship with Teller, is that they avoid each other completely when they're not working.

Oh, it's NOT that they hate each other. It's that, apart from magic, they have absolutely nothing in common. They have a blast working together, but aren't close friends and never have been.

MPB in Salt Lake
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
All of these are great examples----I was just looking for any stories that Dopers may know of in this area, just because I thought it may be a entertaining little thread.................

Thanks, Matthew

Ponch8
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Erik Estrada and Larry Wilcox (Ponch and Jon, respectively) of CHiPs did not like each other. Jon left the show before the final season and got replaced by a couple of inferior actors who were supposed to be brothers on the show.

Kamino Neko
07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I think that there was also bad blood between some of the "Star Trek" cast, but dont know the series enough to recall the details.

Basically, nobody liked Shatner, because his ego was so big. Nimoy was particularly annoyed with him. They're apparently patched things up in recent years.

BrandonR
07-27-2009, 05:30 PM
For that reason alone, it was refreshing when I heard Penn Jillette tell Larry King that, a big part of the reason for his successful relationship with Teller, is that they avoid each other completely when they're not working.

Oh, it's NOT that they hate each other. It's that, apart from magic, they have absolutely nothing in common. They have a blast working together, but aren't close friends and never have been.

I read basically the same thing in their Vegas show's souvenir booklet. They really do have polar opposite personalities. Penn is into the classic rock music, Teller is into classical. They do say their relationship has been successful because it's always been strictly business.

enomaj
07-27-2009, 06:07 PM
i heard Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams didn't get along.

SciFiSam
07-27-2009, 06:12 PM
David Duchovny really didn't get on with Gillian Anderson, by all accounts. Not hate, but definitely not friendly either.

notfrommensa
07-27-2009, 06:12 PM
i heard Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams didn't get along.

that is pretty well documented, and I think that George and Weezy Jefferson did not like each other either.

TV time
07-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Liz Taylor loathed Kim Novak, yet they played "friends" in the film 'The Mirror Crack'd".

In a road company I directed one year, the romantic leads ended up hating each other (they started out really liking each other). Apparently, they were literally eating raw garlic and onions before going on stage for love scenes. I had to threaten to dock their pay if it continued.

maplekiwi
07-27-2009, 06:30 PM
In NZ, former top sportsmen Matthew Ridge & Marc Ellis appear close mates & have a great rapport. In real life they rarely hang out together. Not hate - but not friends either.

KneadToKnow
07-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Basically, nobody liked Shatner, because his ego was so big. Nimoy was particularly annoyed with him. They're apparently patched things up in recent years.

There's an episode of The Larry Sanders Show where they've got The Shat on the speaker phone and they're trying to get him to say "Klingons," so they ask him who his biggest enemy on Star Trek was, and he says that he and De Kelley didn't get along so well.

I've always taken that as a joke (I've always heard that everyone got along with De), but it's a fun scene, because everybody gets all quiet and uncomfortable for a moment when he misunderstands the question.

BigT
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM

So you read "I Am Spock" as well? It took a little bit of reading between the lines, since Nimoy was being so professional, but you could tell he really didn't like the guy.

And, of course, Wil Wheaton let us know about the rest of the cast. WFS, indeed.

RealityChuck
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Lawrence Olivier had wanted Vivian Leigh to play the lead in Rebecca opposite him. When Joan Fontaine was cast, he got revenge by being deliberately cruel (including whispering obscenities during love scenes). Alfred Hitchcock knew about it, but liked how it affected Fontaine's performance.

Tony Curtis hated working with Marilyn Monroe in Some Like it Hot; famously, he said to her "kissing you is like kissing Hitler."

Humphrey Bogart disliked working with Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina -- he wanted Lauren Bacall -- mostly because she took too many takes. Bogart also strongly disliked William Holden, who played his brother.

Kamino Neko
07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
So you read "I Am Spock" as well?

Actually, no, I'm basing it on stuff they've both said since they made up. (Judging from events surrounding his wedding, I don't think George Takei likes Shatner very much, even now.)

teela brown
07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I heard that John Goodman really hated Tom Arnold and how Tom Arnold could influence Roseanne so heavily.

voguevixen
07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Tony Curtis hated working with Marilyn Monroe in Some Like it Hot; famously, he said to her "kissing you is like kissing Hitler."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I thought the same about Jimmy Stewart.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
07-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Sorta in line with the OP. . .
Siskel & Ebert, while co-workers for many years, didn't particularly care for one another personally. . . at least so they said.

But that also makes me wonder about a lot of these relationships: These people are co-workers, but that doesn't mean that they're chummy IRL. I have co-workers that I have a great working relationship with, but I have no interest at all in spending any non-work time with them.

Linty Fresh
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder starred in a lot of buddy movies together, but they were not friends. Apparently Pryor's constant drug use made him very hard to get along with.

Claire Beauchamp
07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
David Duchovny really didn't get on with Gillian Anderson, by all accounts. Not hate, but definitely not friendly either.

I know that's a common rumor but I don't think it's strictly true. I think the reality is that they have a complicated relationship. From what I've read & from interviews I've seen, they dated briefly as the series was getting started. They worked very long, grueling hours for 7 years plus a movie, and Gillian has been quoted as saying essentially that under those conditions it was like having a sibling -- ya love 'em, but being around them so much doing such tough work would wear on anyone's nerves. During the filming of the most recent movie they got along fine, and during the movie's premiere events there were some sightings/rumors/photos that made it seem the romance engines might have been revved back up. http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b67557_Bitch_Back__Politically_Riled_and_X_Style_Spied_.html

Little Nemo
07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Sarah Michelle Gellar was reportedly disliked by all the other cast members on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Justin_Bailey
07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Sorta in line with the OP. . .
Siskel & Ebert, while co-workers for many years, didn't particularly care for one another personally. . . at least so they said.

While this was true at first, they did eventually become very close.

Covered_In_Bees!
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Sarah Michelle Gellar was reportedly disliked by all the other cast members on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

At the risk of having my very long-running crush coming to an abrupt end, can you provide details as to why Sarah might not be agreeable?

I pray it's something small and forgivable so I can still marry her in a few years.

Justin_Bailey
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM
At the risk of having my very long-running crush coming to an abrupt end, can you provide details as to why Sarah might not be agreeable?

From what I've read, she's a bit of a diva. And apparently didn't realize that while her character's name was in the title, that it was actually an ensemble show.

This is especially interesting when you realize that she has had the worst post-Buffy career out of practically the entire cast. Except for maybe Xander, but he more or less retired and only acts sporadically nowadays.

Face Intentionally Left Blank
07-27-2009, 09:02 PM
And, of course, Wil Wheaton let us know about the rest of the cast. WFS, indeed.

Women for Sobriety? World Future Society? Web Feature Service?

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I heard Abbot and Costello didn't get along.

Elendil's Heir
07-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I learned from the director's commentary on the Pride & Prejudice (2005) DVD that Rosamund Pike (Jane Bennet) and Simon Woods (Mr. Bingley) were cast as a pair of shy, blushing young lovers before the director realized that the actress and actor were a former couple, since broken up! They didn't hate each other, I guess, but it was clearly over. The director was quite impressed by their professionalism on set; if you see the film, you'd never guess they have a history together.

kunilou
07-27-2009, 09:37 PM
The list of entertainment teams who didn't get along goes back to at least Cain and Abel.

Gilbert and Sullivan had a notoriously strained working relationship.

Dean Martin famously said his partnership with Jerry Lewis was the best thing that ever happened to him -- and breaking up the act was the second best.

Moe and Larry hated Joe Besser, and Besser didn't care for either of them.

Lou Costello was quoted as saying that, whatever their differences, Martin and Lewis should just suck it up and keep the act going -- just as he and Bud Abbott had done for years even though they didn't like each other.

Captain Amazing
07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I heard Abbot and Costello didn't get along.

They did at first, but the relationship got strained for a bunch of reasons, including Abbott's alcoholism (Costello's wife was an alcoholic, and Costello had come to hate alcohol and alcoholism), and disputes over salary...at the beginning of their career, it had been split 60%-40%, then 50%-50%, and finally 40% to Abbott and 60% to Costello, and that upset Abbott.

KneadToKnow
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Women for Sobriety? World Future Society? Web Feature Service?

William F&cking Shatner (http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/20562/)

Face Intentionally Left Blank
07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
William F&cking Shatner (http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/20562/)

Thanks. I rarely remember to read Wil's work, but I always enjoy it. Good story, and a well-earned nickname for Mr Shatner.

Small Hen
07-27-2009, 10:27 PM

She especially didn't get on well with Allison Hannigan, I understand.

Shannon Dohrghity (can't be arsed to look up the spelling) and Jason Lee loathed each other when they did Mallrats. Actually, I don't believe Shannon was liked by most anyone.

Markxxx
07-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Moe and Larry hated Joe Besser, and Besser didn't care for either of them.

From what I read, it was Moe who wasn't fond of Besser. And even then it wasn't hate. The studio had forced Besser on Moe because he was under contract. Joe wasn't happy playing it but was under contract. Larry was pretty much indifferent to anything and just showed up and got paid. I also read as it progressed Joe and Moe and Larry begain to like each other and once they accepted that they'd have to work together, got on OK.

A lot of transient fights later get patched up. Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada did not like each other toward the end, but today get along well.

Jane Curtain and Susan St James also had a lot of flack between them. But today they are friends again. St James and Curtain were friends before Kate & Allie.

Sames goes for Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams, today they get along well. But Cindy says in interviews today it was the fact that there was so much nepotism on Laverne & Shirley that she felt left out and that 'caused the friction.

Suzanne Sommers says she and Joyce DeWitt never got along at all. And when the contract disputes started up and she and John Ritter fell out, that hurt her. But she says that since she and DeWitt were never close she didn't care. Sommers and Ritter also made up later on and were friendly. Sommers replacement Priscilla Barnes and Joyce DeWitt went on to become best friends in real life.

Vivian Vance and William Frawley had their feud basically because Vance's contract was tied to his. Frawley had a bad reputation in Hollywood as a boozer and an a gambler (horse races and ball games). Frawley campaigned to Lucy directly for the role and Desi only agreed by saying that if there was ONE SINGLE SLIP UP, he'd be written out. Desi also made threats to see that he'd "never work again."

Vance was hired and this upset Lucy as Vance was only a few years older and not frumpy and ugly. Vance had it in her contract that if Frawley was written out for any reason she'd be let go too. She didn't like her future tied to Frawley's.

As it turned out Frawley (according to Desi) performed without a flaw and never was late or caused problems. But Frawley was only for the bucks. Vance would say "Most actors complain about not having enough lines. Bill would come in complaining about having too many, telling the writers to cut some out. All Bill wanted to do was say his lines and get to the race track." Vance also didn't like the fact Frawley only learned his part and often had no idea of what the script was about.

The biggest problem between the two came because even though I Love Lucy was a huge hit, neither Vance nor Frawley ever got much more than they started with. Lucy and Desi were well known for only paying scale.

Then CBS offered Frawley and Vance a spin-off of the Mertzes for a lot of money and Vance refused, saying she didn't like Frawley enough to do that. And after that it was all out war between the two.

I read in Stanley Livingstosn's autobiography (He played Ernie on My Three Sons which was filmed on DesiLu next to The Lucy Show, where Vance was playing Viv. Remember at this time Frawley was playing Bub on My Three Sons)

Livingston said Frawley would pay him money to make noise or throw things when Vance was saying her lines so she'd screw up. And Vance would give the kids candy and such to screw with Frawley. So those two really dislike each other.

I like Frawley's quote from the I Love Lucy book regarding Vance, "Kansas never produced a finer actress than Vivan Vance, but today I don't know where or what she's doing and we both like it that way"

:)

MPB in Salt Lake
07-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Besides the long term colaborations like Lewis-Martin or Abbott-Costello, I wonder if when you work together for many years (cast of MASH or Cheers for example) you actually tend to forge real life friendships, simply due to being around each other for years at a strech, even if you werent particularly simpatico when you started working together. (I know this will not always be the case, but I can imagine it happens fairly often, just as people hang out with co-workers after work, even if they would not be friends in other circumstances)

I remember that Jack Klugman had nothing but praise for Tony Randall after Randall died, but said they were actually opposites in many ways during the "Odd Couple" and only became good friends in real life after working together for a while...............

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, what would be really interesting would be to find out that Alan Alda and Jamie Farr (as a made up example) hated each other despite working together for all those years.

MPB in Salt Lake
07-27-2009, 10:57 PM
From what I read, it was Moe who wasn't fond of Besser. And even then it wasn't hate. The studio had forced Besser on Moe because he was under contract. Joe wasn't happy playing it but was under contract. Larry was pretty much indifferent to anything and just showed up and got paid. I also read as it progressed Joe and Moe and Larry begain to like each other and once they accepted that they'd have to work together, got on OK.

A lot of transient fights later get patched up. Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada did not like each other toward the end, but today get along well.

Jane Curtain and Susan St James also had a lot of flack between them. But today they are friends again. St James and Curtain were friends before Kate & Allie.

Sames goes for Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams, today they get along well. But Cindy says in interviews today it was the fact that there was so much nepotism on Laverne & Shirley that she felt left out and that 'caused the friction.

Suzanne Sommers says she and Joyce DeWitt never got along at all. And when the contract disputes started up and she and John Ritter fell out, that hurt her. But she says that since she and DeWitt were never close she didn't care. Sommers and Ritter also made up later on and were friendly. Sommers replacement Priscilla Barnes and Joyce DeWitt went on to become best friends in real life.

Vivian Vance and William Frawley had their feud basically because Vance's contract was tied to his. Frawley had a bad reputation in Hollywood as a boozer and an a gambler (horse races and ball games). Frawley campaigned to Lucy directly for the role and Desi only agreed by saying that if there was ONE SINGLE SLIP UP, he'd be written out. Desi also made threats to see that he'd "never work again."

Vance was hired and this upset Lucy as Vance was only a few years older and not frumpy and ugly. Vance had it in her contract that if Frawley was written out for any reason she'd be let go too. She didn't like her future tied to Frawley's.

As it turned out Frawley (according to Desi) performed without a flaw and never was late or caused problems. But Frawley was only for the bucks. Vance would say "Most actors complain about not having enough lines. Bill would come in complaining about having too many, telling the writers to cut some out. All Bill wanted to do was say his lines and get to the race track." Vance also didn't like the fact Frawley only learned his part and often had no idea of what the script was about.

The biggest problem between the two came because even though I Love Lucy was a huge hit, neither Vance nor Frawley ever got much more than they started with. Lucy and Desi were well known for only paying scale.

Then CBS offered Frawley and Vance a spin-off of the Mertzes for a lot of money and Vance refused, saying she didn't like Frawley enough to do that. And after that it was all out war between the two.

I read in Stanley Livingstosn's autobiography (He played Ernie on My Three Sons which was filmed on DesiLu next to The Lucy Show, where Vance was playing Viv. Remember at this time Frawley was playing Bub on My Three Sons)

Livingston said Frawley would pay him money to make noise or throw things when Vance was saying her lines so she'd screw up. And Vance would give the kids candy and such to screw with Frawley. So those two really dislike each other.

I like Frawley's quote from the I Love Lucy book regarding Vance, "Kansas never produced a finer actress than Vivan Vance, but today I don't know where or what she's doing and we both like it that way"

:)

Thanks for the great post Marxxx---Very interesting!!!

As an aside, I read that Jane Curtain didnt get along with several of the other original "Saturday Night Live" cast members. (particularly John Belushi)

Justin_Bailey
07-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Besides the long term colaborations like Lewis-Martin or Abbott-Costello, I wonder if when you work together for many years (cast of MASH or Cheers for example) you actually tend to forge real life friendships, simply due to being around each other for years at a strech, even if you werent particularly simpatico when you started working together. (I know this will not always be the case, but I can imagine it happens fairly often, just as people hang out with co-workers after work, even if they would not be friends in other circumstances)

This happens a lot. Off the top of my head, I know the entire cast of Friends are very close... friends... in real life.

Also, the entire teenage cast of That 70s Show (except for Topher Grace) all hang out as well. Grace seems to be excluded because he's a) a bit of a nerd or b) not a complete tool. Take your pick.

KneadToKnow
07-27-2009, 11:32 PM
I've never seen anything that would convince me that Stephanie Zimbalist and Pierce Brosnan would cross the street to say "hi" to each other. They're both consummate professionals, and speak highly of each other in all the special features on the Remington Steele DVDs, but it comes across as Very Polite.

astorian
07-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Sheriff Andy Taylor and his sweet Aunt Bee seemed to adore each other, but apparently things weren't as cozy between Andy Griffith and Frances Bavier.

I've heard numerous people say that Andy Griffith can be very difficult, but in this case, most observers put the blame on Bavier, who didn't seem to get along with ANYBODY on the Mayberry set. She was, of curse, the only former cast member who never took part in any reunions.

MPB in Salt Lake
07-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Sheriff Andy Taylor and his sweet Aunt Bee seemed to adore each other, but apparently things weren't as cozy between Andy Griffith and Frances Bavier.

I've heard numerous people say that Andy Griffith can be very difficult, but in this case, most observers put the blame on Bavier, who didn't seem to get along with ANYBODY on the Mayberry set. She was, of curse, the only former cast member who never took part in any reunions.

I think that just about every other Andy Griffith Show regular did a guest spot or two on "Matlock", which seems to indicate they must have all gotten along with Griffith to some degree.............

Little Nemo
07-28-2009, 01:18 AM
As an aside, I read that Jane Curtain didnt get along with several of the other original "Saturday Night Live" cast members. (particularly John Belushi)I don't think she didn't get along with them. My understanding is that she just didn't socialize with them. There was something of a gonzo/frat boy mentality among the early cast. Curtain was a 28 year old woman who didn't do drugs and had recently gotten married - outside of doing comedy she didn't have all that much in common with her colleagues.

cactus waltz
07-28-2009, 01:44 AM
When I was a kid and Wayne's World 1 and 2 were popular, I read that Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were actually not friends on set. However, this was not from a trusted source and I haven't been able to confirm it.

Darryl Lict
07-28-2009, 05:17 AM
I heard that Mickey Rourke was a real dick to Kim Basinger during 9 1/2 weeks.

Miss Mapp
07-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins played close friends in love/hate relationships in 2 films, "The Old Maid," and "Old Acquaintance," but by all accounts they despised each other. Hopkins constantly tried to upstage Davis.

Rilchiam
07-28-2009, 07:18 AM
When I was a kid and Wayne's World 1 and 2 were popular, I read that Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were actually not friends on set. However, this was not from a trusted source and I haven't been able to confirm it.

I can't confirm what I'm about to say either, but I heard it a bit differently -- that Myers and Carvey did start out as friends. Why they're not on speaking terms now is because (again, AIUI) when Myers' ego started taking over the planet, Carvey took it more personally than did others who hadn't been close to Myers. Not implying that Carvey might have overreacted, but "They have the most power to hurt us, who we love."

ColonelDax
07-28-2009, 08:02 AM
The list of entertainment teams who didn't get along goes back to at least Cain and Abel.

It also includes Wilfrid Brambell and Harry Corbett, the stars of Steptoe and Son, the British television comedy that was remade in the U.S. as Sanford and Son.

WordMan
07-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I can't confirm what I'm about to say either, but I heard it a bit differently -- that Myers and Carvey did start out as friends. Why they're not on speaking terms now is because (again, AIUI) when Myers' ego started taking over the planet, Carvey took it more personally than did others who hadn't been close to Myers. Not implying that Carvey might have overreacted, but "They have the most power to hurt us, who we love."

Myers didn't want Carvey in the Wayne's World...I can't remember if it was skit in general or movie when it turned into one. Also, Myers' Dr. Evil character in Austin Powers is a bit of a spoof on SNL Overlord Lorne Michaels - the pinky to the mouth move is a Lorne-ism. But the person best known behind the scenes for his imitation of Lorne...was Dana Carvey. So Myers appropriating it for Dr. Evil was a bit awkward...

Don Draper
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Shelley Long famously did not get along with either of her "Cheers" romantic interests. She & Danson clashed quite often, and at one point Long wanted Kelsey Grammar's Frasier character written out of the show because she felt that was stealing the spotlight from her.

Actually, Shelley Long was supposedly a pariah on the set of "Cheers." Jay Thomas, who played Carla's husband Eddie said that during the lunch break, in the studio break room, Long always sat by herself at one table, while every other person on the show sat another on the far side of the room.

Oh, and speaking of Jay Thomas's Eddie Lebec character, Rhea Perlman (Carla) also demanded that Eddie be permanently written out of the show, because she felt upstaged by him.

William Frawley & Vivian Vance were already mentioned, but Lucy & Desi ought to be checked as well. Though married IRL, it was nothing like the sweet-natured romantic union depicted onscreen. Lucy admitted that part of her motivation to do the series was that she could keep an eye on her husband who was constantly drinking, gambling & philandering. The couple very quickly divorced as soon as the series was over.

Also worth mentioning is Robert Reed of "the Brady Bunch." It's well known that he was especially uncomfortable & uneasy during his scenes with Florence Henderson. This had more to do with Reed being a closeted gay man than his personal feelings for Henderson. But the constant snuggling & kissing a woman (even Henderson) got to be too much for him and he became increasingly difficult to work with.

Llama Llogophile
07-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I seem to recall Jackie Gleason and Art Carney either didn't get along, or had some sort of falling out.

Can't imagine why. Doesn't seem like Gleason had an ego, or anything...

Bosstone
07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
and disputes over salary...at the beginning of their career, it had been split 60%-40%, then 50%-50%, and finally 40% to Abbott and 60% to Costello, and that upset Abbott.This mirrors the problem Martin and Lewis had. They were friends, but in two-man acts, the straight man often gets ignored over the wisecracker, even though both contribute equally to the act. Lewis got all the accolades and that really got under Martin's skin. Having the salary cut shift in Costello's direction sounds like the same thing.

RealityChuck
07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Nelson Eddy and Jeanette Macdonald were cast together in eight wildly successful musicals in the 1930s. They hated each other passionately -- except when they were passionately in love with each other. They had affairs, broke them off in anger, got together again, broke up, etc. But in several of their films, they were at the hate stage of their love/hate relationship.

Lightnin'
07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I heard that Mickey Rourke was a real dick to Kim Basinger during 9 1/2 weeks.

*golf clap*

Abby_Emma_Sasha
07-28-2009, 11:16 AM
*golf clap*

Here, here. Good chap.

notfrommensa
07-28-2009, 11:16 AM

I think I read where Frances Bavier apologized to Andy Griffith for her actions shortly before her death.

Aunt Bee is one of my favorite all time women characters.

satoridt
07-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Terrence and Phillip, while starting out as best of friends, had their relationship slowly deteriorate over the many years of working together. According to the documentary "Behind the Blow" Their working relationship started to deteriorate when their made for TV movie "Not without my anus" aired instead of the popular "The John Schneider Variety Hour" enraging many fans who expressed their frustration by burning down the studio killing 6 and wounding 12 others. Phillip was replaced, and Terrence continued to show some of their classic sketches, while Phillip joined a Shakespearian troupe in Canada. Things looked finished between the two until 2001 when the two unexpectedly patched things up, even performing together in a small town in Colorado to celebrate earth day. Today, despite a recent threat from the show “Queef Sisters” their show continues to be the most watched show in Canada, and indeed is responsible for much of the Canadian GDP.

WordMan
07-28-2009, 12:35 PM
...and indeed is responsible for much of the Canadian GDP.

Oh sure - blame Canada...

;)

ivylass
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Vivien Leigh didn't like the kissing scenes with Clark Gable during the filming of Gone with the Wind...she claimed he had bad breath.

I do know that Kirstie Alley refused to appear as a guest on Frasier because she's a devout Scientologist and disapproved of the portrayal of a psychiatrist. Regarding Cheers, it was one of those THS on E! where I saw that Bebe Neuwirth and the man who played Robin Colcord (Rebecca's rich English boyfriend) were shocked at the level of unprofessionalism of the other actors. Both were Broadway trained, and were taught you showed up on time, ready to go, lines learned. A lot of times they would be waiting around for everyone else to show up.

hajario
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
One of the first famous comedy duos in American history were Gallagher and Shean. They were forever breaking up and getting the act back together. Most of the problems were because of Ed Gallagher's alcoholism and poor work ethic compared to Al Shean. They were huge vaudeville stars in the 1910's and 20's.

Trivia: Al Shean's sister, Minnie Marx, was the mother of the Marx Brothers. Neil Simon's The Sunshine Boys was inspired by them.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkzAEGarl9Q) is Al Shean recreating the act with a different guy playing Gallagher in a 1941 movie. Ed Gallagher had died several years earlier. It's still very funny.

Push You Down
07-28-2009, 01:31 PM

There was recently a really indepth article I think in EW or another entertainment mad about Myers and his ego and love of comedy. It had some details on what occured between the two of them. IIRC, Myers started micro-managing Wayne's World and tried to shut Carvey out of the creative process.

back when Austin Powers came out, all my SNL nerd friends were hoping Carvey would play the villain in a sequel... don't see that happening now.

Mahaloth
07-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Wow, I've never heard this. They seemed very friendly when promoting X-Files 2.

:confused:

I think she mostly drew hate when she announced that Season 7 was the end to a magazine before announcing it to the crew and cast. Before that, I'd never heard of any trouble.

She did not attend the wrap party, if the DVD extras are to be trusted, however.

As the EW article seems to indicate, everyone hates Michael Myers.

enomaj
07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Martin Lawrence and Tisha Campbell. IIRC she accused him of sexual harassment and refused to appear in any scenes with him. They shot the final episodes that way and watching it felt like the scenes where an actor is playing his own twin. It also meant the canceling of the last good black sitcom.

Oakminster
07-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Also, the entire teenage cast of That 70s Show (except for Topher Grace) all hang out as well. Grace seems to be excluded because he's a) a bit of a nerd or b) not a complete tool. Take your pick.

At least two of them...the ones playing Hyde and Donna...are clam worshippers. Think "Donna" is or was involved with "Hyde"'s real life brother who had a smallish part on the show, and is also a clam worshipper. Hyde, Kelso, and Fez are partners in a restaurant, I think.

congodwarf
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
At least two of them...the ones playing Hyde and Donna...are clam worshippers. Think "Donna" is or was involved with "Hyde"'s real life brother who had a smallish part on the show, and is also a clam worshipper. Hyde, Kelso, and Fez are partners in a restaurant, I think.

What the heck is a clam worshiper?

hajario
07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
A clam worshiper is a Scientologist.

Push You Down
07-28-2009, 07:18 PM
i thought it means smeone who like to go down..... oh nevermind.

Frylock
07-28-2009, 09:19 PM

That's not an of course for me. Where can I follow up on your reference?

R. P. McMurphy
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Debra Winger despised Richard Gere. In an interview she said that she had to zone out during the love scenes in "An Officer and a Gentleman" because she found him disgusting.

dropzone
07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Moe and Larry hated Joe Besser, and Besser didn't care for either of them.After Shemp died Mantan Moreland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantan_Moreland) "was briefly considered as a possible addition to the Three Stooges when Shemp Howard died in 1955. This prospect was disclosed by Moe Howard in a 1971 interview with film historian Michael H. Price, cited in Price's 2007 biography of Moreland, Mantan the Funnyman, from Midnight Marquee Press of Baltimore.'"

Moreland was a very funny guy. Besser? Not so funny. With the freeing up of what blacks could do in the mid-50s, we missed a match made in Heaven.

Harvey The Heavy
07-29-2009, 12:08 AM
I can still remember some very awkward Sonny & Cher episodes that they were forced to do after their messy divorce was splashed all over the headlines. A contract's a contract I guess.

Really no surprise, but Chevy Chase was the WFS on the old SNL set. The other cast members resented him because he was paid a lot more than they were, and he didn't let them forget it.

And they're not actors, but I've heard that Joey and Johnny Ramone didn't speak to each other for at least the last decade the Ramones were together, even though they stood about five feet from each other on stage.

I don't think they hate each other at all, but I think Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have the same deal as Penn and Teller. I've seen no indication that they have any contact with each other outside of KISS. Some of their albums were even made with Gene in one studio and Paul in another, and the drummer and guitarist would have to shuttle back and forth to do their parts.

Koxinga
07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't think they hate each other at all, but I think Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have the same deal as Penn and Teller. I've seen no indication that they have any contact with each other outside of KISS.

I've heard the same about Johnny Carson and Ed MacMahon, and David Letterman and Paul Schaeffer.

Leiko
07-29-2009, 02:14 AM

Wil Wheaton's blog (http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/) is the best place to start, I'd say.

Omniscient
07-29-2009, 03:16 AM
I heard that John Goodman really hated Tom Arnold and how Tom Arnold could influence Roseanne so heavily.

I've heard quite a few interviews with Tom Arnold and heard people talking about Rosanne and it's pretty clear that Rosanne was a complete an total nutjob. Not in the "crazy" way but in the must be properly medicated at all times or else she's a threat to herself and other way. In the later years of the show she was essentially a paranoid schizophrenic and about the only person who could get Rosanne to do anything, read scripts and show up for filming, was Tom Arnold. She just about walked out on the show in spite of her contract many, many times and without Arnold she probably would have. Outsiders and people who weren't paying attention to the details blamed Arnold since it appeared that her craziness and his arrival coincided but in reality he might have been the one slowing down the implosion and keeping everyone getting paychecks.

Take it with a grain of salt, since my info is all word of mouth from listening to too much talk radio, but that's my impression of it. Arnold seems to have gotten a really bad rap. Maybe someone else can shed some light on things.

Little Nemo
07-29-2009, 03:38 AM
I can still remember some very awkward Sonny & Cher episodes that they were forced to do after their messy divorce was splashed all over the headlines. A contract's a contract I guess.More a case of a paycheck's a paycheck. When the couple split they both tried solo projects but neither was as successful as they had been as a pair. So they decided to reunite professionally.

tumbleddown
07-29-2009, 04:01 AM
I've heard that Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth (Galina and Elphaba in the original cast of Wicked) hated each other.
Chenoweth was recently very congratulatory on Twitter when Menzel publicly announced her pregnancy. Menzel is not (to my knowledge) on Twitter, so it wasn't a pro forma thing like "she'll see if I don't say something" so I don't know about hating one another. I don't think that they're best friends or anything but Kristin's comments didn't seem like something one would say about someone they actively disliked.
Oh, and speaking of Jay Thomas's Eddie Lebec character, Rhea Perlman (Carla) also demanded that Eddie be permanently written out of the show, because she felt upstaged by him.
Actually, per Jay Thomas himself, as well as Ken Levine, a writer for Cheers, Thomas got the axe for making a nasty crack about Rhea on a live radio broadcast that Rhea happened to hear (http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2006/07/kiss-of-death-for-eddie-lebec.html).

Alessan
07-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Debra Winger despised Richard Gere. In an interview she said that she had to zone out during the love scenes in "An Officer and a Gentleman" because she found him disgusting.

From what I understand, one of the few things that everyone in Hollywood can agree on is that Richard Gere is a dick.

Talon Karrde
07-29-2009, 05:41 AM
He has a feature where he recaps TNG episodes and writes about his behind the scenes experiences at http://www.tvsquad.com/bloggers/wil-wheaton/

He might also have written about his Star Trek experiences on his blog, but I haven't read much of it: http://wilwheaton.net/
He's kind of all over the place on the internet so there could be something other than my two links and the one from earlier in the thread that people are referring to.

Talon Karrde
07-29-2009, 05:50 AM
And they're not actors, but I've heard that Joey and Johnny Ramone didn't speak to each other for at least the last decade the Ramones were together, even though they stood about five feet from each other on stage.
From what I remember hearing, they hated each other. I think some of the tensions in the Ramones was because Johnny Ramone was politically very conservative and none of the others were.

Also, I guess Lieko posted the link to Wil Weaton's blog before I did. I scanned the thread to see if anyone replied to Frylock's question but I guess I passed right by it. Sorry about that.

Stoid
07-29-2009, 08:18 AM
From what I've read, she's a bit of a diva. And apparently didn't realize that while her character's name was in the title, that it was actually an ensemble show.

This is especially interesting when you realize that she has had the worst post-Buffy career out of practically the entire cast.

As it should be, since she was far and away the worst actor on the show. Just godawful, while pretty much everyone else rocked it. Damn shame.

Freudian Slit
07-29-2009, 11:17 AM
From what I remember hearing, they hated each other. I think some of the tensions in the Ramones was because Johnny Ramone was politically very conservative and none of the others were.

Also because the KKK took his baby away.

ivylass
07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Regarding Roseanne, I think John Goodman, being the professional that he was, put up with a lot from Roseanne-Barr-Arnold-Just Plain Roseanne, because she didn't start out as an actor but as a comedian. Certainly the actors who played the kids on the show have mostly gone on to bigger and better things, which I think we can credit Goodman's professionalism.

Bosstone
07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Arnold seems to have gotten a really bad rap.Honestly, I would be shocked if Tom Arnold was any sort of a dick, manipulative or otherwise. I admit I haven't seen much of him beyond when he's acting, but he's always struck me as a decent guy.

Lochdale
07-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Also because the KKK took his baby away.

Yep Johnny stole Joey's girlfriend.

Johnny appeared to be a dick. That said, he kept the band together and made sure that they all go paid, especially Joey so he wasn't a one-dimensional bad guy.

BurnMeUp
07-29-2009, 02:54 PM

I don't know about being on That 70's Show but Hyde's real life brother was the older brother on Malcolm in the Middle. The one who was in military school and then worked at that dude ranch.

Kalhoun
07-29-2009, 03:23 PM

I heard it was closer to hate.

Kalhoun
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
From what I understand, one of the few things that everyone in Hollywood can agree on is that Richard Gere is a dick.

Really? I never would have guessed. Anyone got a link?

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Back to Shannon Doherty (howeverthat'sspelled). She is renowned for being a bitch and was replaced on Charmed after a showdown with Alyssa Milano that ended with Milano giving the producers an ultimatum "Either she goes or I go!"

Reloy3
07-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Also worth mentioning is Robert Reed of "the Brady Bunch." It's well known that he was especially uncomfortable & uneasy during his scenes with Florence Henderson. This had more to do with Reed being a closeted gay man than his personal feelings for Henderson. But the constant snuggling & kissing a woman (even Henderson) got to be too much for him and he became increasingly difficult to work with.

I had also always heard that he was sold the show as a serious look into a post-divorce family and the struggles of a blended family. Reed was a hot commodity after his stint on "The Defenders". Reed was a classicly trained serious actor who, IIRC, was very unhappy when he found he was under contract to a campy show like "The Brady Bunch".

Despite that, he was a professional who never let his unhappiness interfere with his job - and the rest of the cast, particularly the children, loved him. He really was a second father to many of them. And he loved them enough to come back for reunion shows.

Omniscient
07-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Honestly, I would be shocked if Tom Arnold was any sort of a dick, manipulative or otherwise. I admit I haven't seen much of him beyond when he's acting, but he's always struck me as a decent guy.

He certainly rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, self-admittedly. He just has one of those personalities it seems, and a lot of people took a dislike to him without actually knowing him at all. He tells stories of Hollywood execs who would badmouth him and steer work away from him without his knowledge who'd later end up apologizing to him for it once they realized he was actually a decent guy. Of course there was a stretch were he was into drugs (now into recovery) which probably didn't do anything to help his status either.

What I gathered is that he pretty much always says what he thinks. A certain handicap in Hollywood.

MPB in Salt Lake
07-29-2009, 06:28 PM
He certainly rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, self-admittedly. He just has one of those personalities it seems, and a lot of people took a dislike to him without actually knowing him at all. He tells stories of Hollywood execs who would badmouth him and steer work away from him without his knowledge who'd later end up apologizing to him for it once they realized he was actually a decent guy. Of course there was a stretch were he was into drugs (now into recovery) which probably didn't do anything to help his status either.

What I gathered is that he pretty much always says what he thinks. A certain handicap in Hollywood.

Does anyone remember the time when Tom Arnold was on Conan, and it came up that Roseanne Barr had apparently commented (this was just after T. A. and Roseanne had divorced) publically that Tom Arnold has a teeny tiny little putz?

Of course Conan kept bringing the comment up, and was sassing Arnold about it, when Tom shot back that "if you land a 747 in the Grand Canyon it would also look pretty small in comparison". (implying that Roseanne's vagina was a huge, gaping, canyon-like orifice)

One of the most vulgar, shocking, disturbingly evocative (and all around fucking funniest) one liners in the history of late night talk shows.................

Algher
07-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Honestly, I would be shocked if Tom Arnold was any sort of a dick, manipulative or otherwise. I admit I haven't seen much of him beyond when he's acting, but he's always struck me as a decent guy.

Bruce Campbell's Autobiography If Chins Could Kill slams him (while painting E. Borgnine as a pro) on the set of McHale's Navy.

lawoot
07-29-2009, 10:03 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I thought the same about Jimmy Stewart.

You thought kissing Jimmy Stewart was like kissing Hitler? When did you kiss Stewart? :D

astorian
07-29-2009, 11:36 PM
I had also always heard that he was sold the show as a serious look into a post-divorce family and the struggles of a blended family. Reed was a hot commodity after his stint on "The Defenders". Reed was a classicly trained serious actor who, IIRC, was very unhappy when he found he was under contract to a campy show like "The Brady Bunch".

Despite that, he was a professional who never let his unhappiness interfere with his job - and the rest of the cast, particularly the children, loved him. He really was a second father to many of them. And he loved them enough to come back for reunion shows.

I recall hearing Christopher ("Peter") Knight and Barry ("Greg") Williams saying that, years after the show was off the air, they learned that they were about the ONLY males on the "Brady Bunch" set that Robert Reed WASN'T propositioning constantly.

dropzone
07-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Any fan of the American Popular Song would find himself attracted, in some way that he couldn't explain, to Florence Henderson. I'm not gay, but Maureen McCormick was/is a total fox, so if one were open to other experiences she was there. They ugged up Eve Plumb, so if you were interested in a woman who was playing young, there you go. And I had a mild crush on Alice since her days on "Bob Cummings." (Do with it as you will. She was nice and really loved Bob. What's not to like?)

The little ones? I will jump out on a limb and assume Robert Reed didn't really hit on them.