PDA

View Full Version : What is your Myers-Briggs personality type?

SmashTheState
08-07-2009, 06:53 AM
I am INTP, and I spend a good deal of time on IRC. I started asking others what their Myers-Briggs was, and to our mutual astonishment discovered that in a channel with 30+ people every single one of us was INTP. Given that INTP is one of the rarer personality types (it is in fact diametrically opposed to the most common, ESFJ) I have to assume that there's something about IRC which makes it disproportionately appealing to we INTPs. I suspect SD has a disproportionate number of INTPs also.

Am I right?

chrisk
08-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Hehe, I'm on the line between INTP and INFP.

Red Skeezix
08-07-2009, 07:16 AM
I imagine that you'll find a lot of Rationals (NT) on this board due to NT's cold rationality that sends other types running for the hills. I for one am an INTJ

Hello Again
08-07-2009, 08:02 AM
ESTJ, and I'm given to understand it is a very rare type for a woman.

I'm also Lawful Neutral :D

corkboard
08-07-2009, 08:16 AM
I've been tested a couple times, and apparently I put absolutely no stock in the measurement because I don't remember where I came out on it. Is this something that people really follow?

ETA: I didn't mean for that question to come off as smart-assy, I'm genuinely curious.

MissMossie
08-07-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm another INTP, but, like chrisk, I'm right on the T/F line.

chromaticity
08-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Another INTP chiming in. I dont put much trust in it, but I used to back in the day.

Brandus
08-07-2009, 08:52 AM
INTJ When I was younger and more... neurotic?

I tried again recently and got ISTP

Maeglin
08-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I have been tested a few times at work for somewhat useless "team-building" exercises. I am very strongly INTJ.

Sigmagirl
08-07-2009, 09:02 AM
ISTJ, the S is not that strong. The I is still reverberating in the computer.

Gyrate
08-07-2009, 09:05 AM
We're on the internet rather than talking to actual people. Hence the persistence of I.

INTJ, on the J/P cusp.

EvilTOJ
08-07-2009, 09:06 AM
And how would one find out one's Myers-Briggs personality type? All these acronyms, so little sense.

Hello Again
08-07-2009, 09:10 AM
There are a variety of online quizzes, for example:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

KneadToKnow
08-07-2009, 09:11 AM
All these acronyms, so little sense.

Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers_briggs#The_four_dichotomies
Then go here: http://www.knowyourtype.com/16_types.html

Prior thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=503738)

Johanna
08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Every single time I take one of those tests, I come out INFP. I'm very INFP.

...also Chaotic Good
j/k

mecaenas
08-07-2009, 09:28 AM
ISTJ, bigtime.

freckafree
08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
ENFP, baby!

Claire Beauchamp
08-07-2009, 09:58 AM
INTJ. I flip-flop between J and P, but lately have been J. The theory is that the older you get, the more "you" you are. INTJ is one of the rarest types, and the two or three least common types for women.

As for the folks who are poo-pooing this ... no, it's not a perfect system. It does, however, offer some insights, especially about other people when you learn about their type in conjunction with learning about your type. I had done the MB before, but several years ago also did it at work with my dept. During the group debriefing, there were tons of a-ha moments. The other INTJ and I finally got the boss to understand why the idea of working lunches was so very distasteful to us. It wasn't about us being unreasonably protective of non-work time, but just the fact that we needed a solitary break in the middle of the day to recharge. Even helping people understand the difference between I and E can go a long way towards smoothing relationships. I'm not sitting quietly in another room because I hate you, I'm sitting quietly in another room because I need some time without external stimulation.

This is the best description of an INTJ I've seen -- slightly tongue in cheek, but oh so true. :D
http://intjcentral.com/manual4

Gam Zeh Yaavor
08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
INTJ. The last time this subject was floated, INTJs were very disproportionally represented here. At first I thought that there was something about the SDMB in particular that appealed that particular personality type, but then I discovered something strange. While perusing the Stormfront.org boards (white supremacist central, for those who don't get sick pleasure from crazy nazi rants), I found a poll thread there with precisely the same subject.

Which type was vastly overrepresented there, you ask?

INTJ again.

Either Dopers and crazy racists have something in common, or INTJs just tend to generally be drawn to posting on message boards. I hope it's the latter.

TroubleAgain
08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
INFP
Like this:
I-----------X|-------------E
N--X--------|-------------S
FX----------|-------------T
PX----------|-------------J

Bambi Hassenpfeffer
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
ENTJ, but like this:

i-----------|x-------------e
n-------x---|--------------s
f-----------|--------x-----t
p-----------|---------x----j

Claire Beauchamp
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Either Dopers and crazy racists have something in common, or INTJs just tend to generally be drawn to posting on message boards. I hope it's the latter.

It's the latter, for the most part. It's that preference for asynchronous communication, as referenced in the link I posted.

GuanoLad
08-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Mine's IHNIWYAATA:

I Have No Idea What You All Are Talking About

Maeglin
08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
As for the folks who are poo-pooing this ... no, it's not a perfect system. It does, however, offer some insights, especially about other people when you learn about their type in conjunction with learning about your type.

Just to be clear, I am not poo-pooing the system so much as the exercise we had to endure at work. There was a lot of noise made in the beginning about accommodating peoples' differences, but at the end of the day, it is still an extrovert's world and nothing really changed.

Just like your link says, I loathe being lied to or manipulated.

Lama Pacos
08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
ESTP, apparently. With both S and T being expressed by 1 percent, so it's a razor-thin line there.

Claire Beauchamp
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
but at the end of the day, it is still an extrovert's world and nothing really changed.

Ain't that the truth. heh

ENugent
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
INTP, but very close to the line on both E/I and on T/F.

elfkin477
08-07-2009, 11:24 AM
According to feeling types I'm "dismissive," "arrogant," "overly critical of others," and "lack empathy," so I'm the perfect INTJ.

Hippy Hollow
08-07-2009, 11:26 AM
INFP
Like this:

That's almost me exactly! I've even tested as an E once or twice.

Rubystreak
08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm an ENFJ, and I think it's me and one other guy on here and that's it.

Kimmy_Gibbler
08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Mine usually come out as INTJ or ENTJ, or in other words, I am a Mastermind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastermind_(Role_Variant)) Fieldmarshal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieldmarshal_(Role_Variant)).

I don't take it particularly seriously.

Johanna
08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
INFP
Like this:
This diagrams my own configuration very closely.

fusoya
08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
ISTJ - Serious, quiet, earn success by concentration and thoroughness. Practical, orderly, matter of fact, logical, realistic and dependable. See to it that everything is well organized. Take responsibility. Make up their own minds as to what should be accomplished and work toward it steadily, regardless of protests or distractions. And yep, I have Aspergers too.

RedBloom
08-07-2009, 11:42 AM
INFJ here!

It's frightening how accurate the description are...

Engineer Dude
08-07-2009, 11:45 AM
ENTJ, but the "E" only had a strength of 1. Ask me tomorrow and I could be an INTJ.

Polly Glot
08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
INTJ. I flip-flop between J and P, but lately have been J. The theory is that the older you get, the more "you" you are. INTJ is one of the rarest types, and the two or three least common types for women.

As for the folks who are poo-pooing this ... no, it's not a perfect system. It does, however, offer some insights, especially about other people when you learn about their type in conjunction with learning about your type. I had done the MB before, but several years ago also did it at work with my dept. During the group debriefing, there were tons of a-ha moments. The other INTJ and I finally got the boss to understand why the idea of working lunches was so very distasteful to us. It wasn't about us being unreasonably protective of non-work time, but just the fact that we needed a solitary break in the middle of the day to recharge. Even helping people understand the difference between I and E can go a long way towards smoothing relationships. I'm not sitting quietly in another room because I hate you, I'm sitting quietly in another room because I need some time without external stimulation.

This is the best description of an INTJ I've seen -- slightly tongue in cheek, but oh so true. :D

YES. YES. YES. This. I test INTJ, and desperately need that middle of the day recharge. The unwritten rule always seems to be, sit around and shoot the shit with colleagues during lunch instead, but isn't that what we sit around at our desks all day long doing anyway? Gah!

Maeglin
08-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Ain't that the truth. heh

"You mean you don't find brainstorming and alignment meetings invigorating and refreshing?"

I even forwarded the Jonathan Rausch article about introversion to some people I work with for shiggles.

Shot From Guns
08-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I think the last time I took one of the internetty versions of this, I came out as ENTP.

Yllaria
08-07-2009, 01:38 PM
According to the linked quiz, I'm an INTP with a 12% T.

To answer corkboard's question I don't really follow it, but I'm aware of my designation in the system. I'm also a Capricorn (I don't follow that either), a scanner (rather than a delver), a Relator (rather than a Director, Socializer, or Thinker), and an RIA (Reality - Information - Art, from the Strong Interest Inventory).

What can I say. When I see a personality sorting system, I like to fiddle with it and see where it slots me.

Shot From Guns
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Hrm, either I misremembered the previous result or it changed. Taking the test linked above, I'm considered an ENTJ. (Strength of the preferences: E 44%, N 50%, T 1%, J 33%).

Hahaha, from one of the explanation sites linked above:
[ENTJs] often challenge people's statements and behaviors, expecting that others will defend them and that, as a result, mutual learning will take place. ENTJ s admire and seek out people who are knowledgeable and who stand up to them, say what they think and argue persuasively.

Not that these things are necessarily 100% accurate, but boy have I been running into problems because of that lately.

Claire Beauchamp
08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Hrm, either I misremembered the previous result or it changed.

FYI the quickie online tests usually give the same general result as the full test, but don't be surprised if there are differences.

Shot From Guns
08-07-2009, 02:34 PM
FYI the quickie online tests usually give the same general result as the full test, but don't be surprised if there are differences.

The previous one was also specified as having been an internetty one.

Knorf
08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
ENTJ, last I took one of those.

Mostly it seems like a cruel joke.

Eleanor of Aquitaine
08-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Those who read science fiction may be interested in Michael Flynn's novel, The Wreck of the River of Stars. He used the Myers-Briggs personality types to create 16 disparate characters and threw them together as the crew and passengers of an obsolete interplanetary spaceship. The captain, the one man who understands them all, dies in the first chapter and a tragedy unfolds because of the misunderstandings that develop among the rest. It's a character study with a hard sci-fi setting. It gets mixed reviews, but I really liked it.

Heart of Dorkness
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I took this for work a long time ago and got ENTP, but N was the only really "strong" characteristic. I took the linked one just now, and got INFJ. Again, I, F, and J by a hair. N by leaps and bounds.

Apparently, other than being fairly intuitive, I'm no one in particular.

3:20:59 or bust
08-07-2009, 03:25 PM
ISTJ, with my foot down on the "J"-gas pedal.

Elyanna
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
INFP. I & N are strong, F & P are weak.

Unix Geek
08-07-2009, 04:10 PM
ENTP with the N (Intuitive) begin 100

Lobot
08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm an INTP, and in fact I run one of the more popular INTP groups on Yahoo:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/intp-type/

elfkin477
08-07-2009, 05:15 PM
YES. YES. YES. This. I test INTJ, and desperately need that middle of the day recharge. The unwritten rule always seems to be, sit around and shoot the shit with colleagues during lunch instead, but isn't that what we sit around at our desks all day long doing anyway? Gah!
One of the advantages of having a big campus at work in the middle of nowhere is that a lot of people take walks during their 15 minute breaks. I do, twice a day, more often than not by myself. It's nice for us introverts, especially those of us doing extroverted things all day, like supervising or training people. Is there any where you could walk to on your breaks? You could claim that you need the exercise.

Yllaria
08-07-2009, 05:25 PM
ISTJ, with my foot down on the "J"-gas pedal.

Careful. You can find yourself jumping to conclusions if you have too much J-ness and not enough P-ness.

rocking chair
08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
intj

Other Dreams
08-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I am INTJ with the J at a measly 12%.

I don't really care. I'm a mastermind independent of some stupid test. ;)

~S.P.I.~

Tom Tildrum
08-07-2009, 06:42 PM
There was another thread about this recently. I may be the Dope's only ISFP.

My I and F scores are high, my S quality is middling, and my P-ness is huge.

3:20:59 or bust
08-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Careful. You can find yourself jumping to conclusions if you have too much J-ness and not enough P-ness.

If you know your conclusions are right, you can jump all over them regularly.

And I reckon I do.

John DiFool
08-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Was about to yell "brains!", but anyway, here (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=411764&highlight=myers+briggs) are (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=503738) the older threads in question. INFP here, for those keeping score.

Edit: KneadToKnow beat me to one of the old threads.

SmashTheState
08-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I should have realized that the jumping-to-conclusions judgmentalism on SD would translate into INTJ -- and why as an INTP I often find the atmosphere here stifling. Do other INTPs have the same problem around here that I do? And given that on IRC I discovered we were, to a one, exclusively INTP, would one of the SD INTJs venturing into our channel find it as frustrating there as I do here?

TruCelt
08-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Wow. INTJ, sometimes INXJ (neatly balanced on the T/F line.)

I can't believe there are so many of us here, we are incredibly rare. (INXJ is _the_ rarest, go figure!) No wonder I like the Dope so much!

P.S. I think I just figured out that Sheldon from BBT is an INTJ with an off-the-charts-strong T.

mswas
08-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I am ENTP

Johanna
08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
and my p-ness is huge.

groan

Shagnasty
08-07-2009, 08:13 PM
INTP

Shagnasty
08-07-2009, 08:26 PM
INTP has always been scary accurate for me for anyone that reads the description and knows me well down to the career choice level.

Polly Glot
08-07-2009, 08:53 PM
One of the advantages of having a big campus at work in the middle of nowhere is that a lot of people take walks during their 15 minute breaks. I do, twice a day, more often than not by myself. It's nice for us introverts, especially those of us doing extroverted things all day, like supervising or training people. Is there any where you could walk to on your breaks? You could claim that you need the exercise.

Those big campus walking breaks sound wonderful, and I could definitely use the exercise. However, as a newly-minted high school teacher who will be expected to take my 30-min lunch with the rest of the staff, I will just have to settle for a two-minute potty/brain break once a day... twice tops. ;)

Bam Boo Gut
08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
INFJ here!

It's frightening how accurate the description are...

Me too! Especially the intuitive thing. People are always saying "What made you think of that?", or "how did you know?'

Strinka
08-07-2009, 09:10 PM
ISTJ/INTJ

The S-N axis is pretty much smack dab in the middle. Very strongly I and T. Less strongly J, but still definitely on that side.

It think that the Myers-Briggs system can provide some insights, but is not complete or definitive, and that the personality type descriptions are little more than horoscopes.

Red Skeezix
08-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I should have realized that the jumping-to-conclusions judgmentalism on SD would translate into INTJ -- and why as an INTP I often find the atmosphere here stifling. Do other INTPs have the same problem around here that I do? And given that on IRC I discovered we were, to a one, exclusively INTP, would one of the SD INTJs venturing into our channel find it as frustrating there as I do here?

Care to elaborate? You find that you clash with INTJs because you like to keep your options open, while they prefer to settle matters? I thought that the J doesnt translate to "judgementalism" only that J's rely more heavily on their Thinking or Feeling while Ps rely more on their Intuition or Sensing.

Also: I retook the test and I have shifted to INTP (67-32-62-11) since the last time I took the test.

Rand Rover
08-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I am an ENTJ

You are:
moderately expressed extravert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

very expressed thinking personality

distinctively expressed judging personality

Me? Judging? Nah . . .

http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=5&c=fieldmarshal

SmashTheState
08-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Care to elaborate? You find that you clash with INTJs because you like to keep your options open, while they prefer to settle matters? I thought that the J doesnt translate to "judgementalism" only that J's rely more heavily on their Thinking or Feeling while Ps rely more on their Intuition or Sensing.

I see he J/P split as the difference between rationalism and empiricism. A lot of folks around here style themselves scientists, but they're not, really. They don't understand the underlying philosophy of empiricism on which science is supposed to be based. I often get the feeling that they give lip service to empiricism, but deep down they "know" that what they believe is true -- when, of course, empiricism cannot, by definition, make truth claims (with truth being a metaphysical quality).

I'm a radical empiricist in the same sense as Berkeley. I believe that what I experience is real -- my experience being the only thing I have, and thus I must accept as real in order for knowledge itself to exist. This I got from Kant. But I also perceive that "matter" is a myth, internally inconsistent and aesthetically unappealing. This I get from Berkeley. I think it's this willingness to simply accept my perceptions and examine the overarching systems rather than inscribe a set of concrete truisms on stone tablets which makes the INTJs on SD hyperventilate when I venture an answer over in GQ. They see my empirical P as "granola-eating New Age woo" while I see their rationalist J as "dogmatic and blinkered materialism."

Uzi
08-08-2009, 02:41 AM
When I was younger I was INTJ, but I've slightly crossed over to the P side recently. In the last few years I've tried to become more flexible in the way I do things without requiring full decisions before I begin work.

Other Dreams
08-08-2009, 02:42 AM
I see he J/P split as the difference between rationalism and empiricism. A lot of folks around here style themselves scientists, but they're not, really. They don't understand the underlying philosophy of empiricism on which science is supposed to be based. I often get the feeling that they give lip service to empiricism, but deep down they "know" that what they believe is true -- when, of course, empiricism cannot, by definition, make truth claims (with truth being a metaphysical quality).

I'm a radical empiricist in the same sense as Berkeley. I believe that what I experience is real -- my experience being the only thing I have, and thus I must accept as real in order for knowledge itself to exist. This I got from Kant. But I also perceive that "matter" is a myth, internally inconsistent and aesthetically unappealing. This I get from Berkeley. I think it's this willingness to simply accept my perceptions and examine the overarching systems rather than inscribe a set of concrete truisms on stone tablets which makes the INTJs on SD hyperventilate when I venture an answer over in GQ. They see my empirical P as "granola-eating New Age woo" while I see their rationalist J as "dogmatic and blinkered materialism."

I fall under "INTJ", but I have nothing against your answers. Personality tests are essentially semi-accurate generalizations and should not be used to explain the behavior of another person absolutely. Give some insight as to the inner workings of the person? Sure!

Let's not turn this thread into a debate of personalities (and what we do and do not do). :)

Simply Human,

~S.P.I.~

Uzi
08-08-2009, 02:46 AM
We knew you'd say that!

Hilarity N. Suze
08-08-2009, 03:25 AM
I came out INTJ but I really think something's wrong with that test.

kapri
08-08-2009, 08:45 AM
INTP here, too.

Hari Seldon
08-08-2009, 12:11 PM
INTJ, whatever that all means.

John DiFool
08-08-2009, 02:25 PM

INFP, if that's close enough, and yes I do tend to avoid the more "stifling" threads here.

SandyHook
08-08-2009, 03:33 PM
ISTP.

And the only one so far.

Baby Driver
08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
ENFP

N is very strong & F is pretty strong as well. E & P are moderate.

I find myself getting annoyed in the company of other ENFPs. I think it's because my "NF" traits dominate my extroversion and other ENFPs can be a bit grating.

aerodave
08-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm an ENTP. The E is the weakest preference for me, but it's not exactly borderline either. As for the others, let's just say I don't' half-ass them.

I'm the perfect specimen of a severe NT. It drives my follow-all-the-rules SJ wife crazy.

ladyfoxfyre
08-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Oh my god. I need to send that to all of my friends and family members immediately.

Johanna
08-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I just took it again for the umpteenth time-- still as INFP as ever-- but this time it came out configured this way:

I------x---|----------E
N-------x--|----------S
F----x-----|----------T
P---x------|----------J

mhairi2222
08-09-2009, 11:24 AM
ISFJ for me. Read the description, seems pretty accurate i guess.

It's Not Rocket Surgery!
08-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow. INTJ, sometimes INXJ (neatly balanced on the T/F line.)

I can't believe there are so many of us here, we are incredibly rare. (INXJ is _the_ rarest, go figure!) No wonder I like the Dope so much!

P.S. I think I just figured out that Sheldon from BBT is an INTJ with an off-the-charts-strong T.

Is there a place that defines the INXJ? I test that way - T slightly more than F, depending on my mood when I test. Moderately J, reasonably N, and almost 100% I.

QuercusMax
08-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I am (shocker of shockers) INTJ. I used to be an ISTJ when I was younger. The I,T, and J and all pretty strong, but the N is weak. I'm OK being a "Mastermind" ;).

My career choice will probably surprise nobody - I'm a programmer. I'm definitely a "lead from the rear" type, though.

Johanna
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
INXJ?Band name!

Atomic Mama
08-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Yours truly is very much an INFP. FWIW.

FoieGrasIsEvil
08-10-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm an ENFJ, and I think it's me and one other guy on here and that's it.

I scored ENFJ, too. Weird.

Maeglin
08-10-2009, 12:02 PM

You presume a tremendous amount despite your expressed commitment to empiricism.