PDA

View Full Version : Ray Comfort - Self-Serving Assmunch

pythonzzz
10-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Yeah, the Banana Man has published yet another book attacking science and respected authors such as Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkins.

With this latest abomination, he gives himself 5 stars and continues to diss Professor Dawkins:

Nothing Created Everything, October 12, 2009
By Ray M. Comfort

My last book, "You Can Lead an Atheist to Evidence But You Can't Make Him Think" knocked Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion" off the number one spot in the atheism division. Then atheists (God bless them) swarmed in and gave it hundreds of stinging reviews. It was interesting to see one review saying that the book was the best thing since sliced bread, while the next said it was far worse than the worst mold on rotting bread. Let's see what happens with this book.

FYI - The "You Can Lead..." book sales were compared to Dawkins' book after it had already been available for 3 years. :dubious: "Honest" Ray strikes out again.

FYI #2 - Amazon is mistakenly atributing reviews for "Origin of Species" that belong to other editions, not for the abomination that Comfort has added a 50 page 'introduction' to. Note the links to the proper editions at the top of each review. Wanna bet he'll spin the reviews to reflect on himself??

Creepy little rat bastard slimeball.

ivn1188
10-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Yawn.

The Bith Shuffle
10-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Creationists tend to be pretty stupid people, especially compared to scientists with PhDs. Anything new?

Dissonance
10-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Ray Comfort

Who?

marshmallow
10-15-2009, 04:52 AM
the Banana Man

Is that the guy who cited bananas as proof of creationism, despite the fact they were domesticated by humans thousands of years ago and are way different than their wild progenitors? I guess this is an example of intelligent design, just not in the way he thought.

The Tao's Revenge
10-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Is that the guy who cited bananas as proof of creationism, despite the fact they were domesticated by humans thousands of years ago and are way different than their wild progenitors? I guess this is an example of intelligent design, just not in the way he thought.

ITT: we learn ancient southeast Asia farmers are the one true God.

Really Not All That Bright
10-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Actually, that would explain a lot.

pythonzzz
10-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Here are the current Amazon stats between Dawkins' book and Comfort's rotten tripe:

"The Greatest Show on Earth"

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #20 in Books
Popular in these categories:

#1 in Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Evolution
#1 in Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Biology
#1 in Books > Science > Biological Sciences > Biology

`````````````````````````````````````````

"Nothing Created Everything"

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #19,035 in Books

Just a bit of a gap...

Diogenes the Cynic
10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Who?
Kirk Cameron's top.

tdn
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Kirk Cameron's top.

...and much prairie dogging ensued...

Jeep's Phoenix
10-15-2009, 11:20 AM
...and much prairie dogging ensued...
Oh, so that's the real reason he destroyed the computer in Fireproof!

Why are they so obsessed with bananas, anyway?

crowmanyclouds
10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
... Why are they so obsessed with bananas, anyway?Jesus has Peyronie's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyronie%27s_disease)? :eek: (NSFW, penis ensues!)

CMC fnord!

kaylasdad99
10-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Why are they so obsessed with bananas, anyway?Dual-purpose implement. Can be used as nourishment to prepare one for a second round.

Voyager
10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Creationists tend to be pretty stupid people, especially compared to scientists with PhDs. Anything new?

Oh, please. Creationists are stupid when compared to the nice lady who cleans the bathrooms at work.

Diogenes the Cynic
10-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I think you have to be careful about saying that creationists are necessarily stupid. Dembski isn't. Behe isn't. Creationism is stupid, but the purveyors can sometimes be very bright. There is a creationism industry which cynically feeds off the naivete of uneducated, religiously trusting marks. The industry does not exist to challenge prevailing science, but to sell books and tapes and "lectures" to rubes. I believe people like Dembski and Behe know very well they're selling snake oil, but are willing to play the game for a little bit of money and artificial prestige.

Those are a separate group from political morons trying to get ID into schools, of course. Those are rubes who have gotten other rubes to give them political power.

kaylasdad99
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I suppose that raises the question of "who is a creationist, and should believers in creationism be distinguished from purveyors of creationism?"

silenus
10-15-2009, 12:54 PM
And should both groups be persecuted to the fullest extent of the mob?

Diogenes the Cynic
10-15-2009, 01:35 PM
They ARE the mob.

Boyo Jim
10-15-2009, 06:20 PM
So apparently creationists aren't irreducibly complex? Well, so much for that theory.

But the existence of creationists is some of the strongest evidence I've ever seen against human evolution.

I just don't know what to think!

Jeep's Phoenix
10-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Dual-purpose implement. Can be used as nourishment to prepare one for a second round.
I have been told that, back in the day, some guys were careful to eat their bananas like corn on the cob when dining in public. :D

I wonder what Kirk Cameron would do with corn on the cob? It's neatly packaged, after all -- just like the banana.

The Bith Shuffle
10-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh, please. Creationists are stupid when compared to the nice lady who cleans the bathrooms at work.

I used the word "especially"!

Jackmannii
10-16-2009, 10:33 AM
If Ray Comfort was eaten by cannibals, would that represent Comfort food?

Sampiro
10-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Comfort claims he has challenged Dawkins to a debate but Dawkins (who I'm guessing trembles in fear at the very mention of the Tatooine double-son brilliance of Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron) has repeatedly declined because obviously he knows he can't defeat Comfort.

Dawkins' version, which dovetails but with a different spin, is that Comfort offered him $10,000 for a debate and Dawkins, who doesn't need the money, did indeed decline, but said he would debate him under two conditions:

1- Comfort donate $100,000 either to his (Dawkins') foundation or to a mutually agreed upon scientific research & education foundation (which Dawkins says he feels is right since creationists have done so much to hurt science education)

2- Comfort include the "Banana argument"

3- Both sides have the right to film and host the video

Comfort countered with an offer to donate $20,000 to a children's charity. Dawkins doublecountered with an offer for Comfort to go screw himself, probably in words close to that (he not being known for suffering fools gladly). Personally I wish he'd take the $20,000 for some neutral charity and go smear the idiot (though I've no delusions that Comfort's followers would think Comfort lost the debate).

Comfort's response to the Banana God Argument Rebuttal is priceless as well: we have no way of knowing what bananas looked like thousands of years ago because there weren't any photographs then, and they were probably more like plantains.

Sampiro
10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
A cite (http://raycomfortfood.blogspot.com/2009/10/archeology-and-banana.html) for the "No photographs please, we're prehistoric plantains" argument from his blog (raycomfortfood).

Meatros
10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Comfort claims he has challenged Dawkins to a debate but Dawkins (who I'm guessing trembles in fear at the very mention of the Tatooine double-son brilliance of Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron) has repeatedly declined because obviously he knows he can't defeat Comfort.

I've listened and watched Comfort in debates. He's absolutely horrible. It's embarrassing to watch the man. I did, however, like his *discussion* with Thunderf00t, but only because I learned some stuff from Thunderf00t, not because Ray was any bastion of clarity.

Ha! That's great.

Comfort countered with an offer to donate $20,000 to a children's charity. Dawkins doublecountered with an offer for Comfort to go screw himself, probably in words close to that (he not being known for suffering fools gladly). Personally I wish he'd take the $20,000 for some neutral charity and go smear the idiot (though I've no delusions that Comfort's followers would think Comfort lost the debate).

I don't follow Comfort very closely... Does he actually have followers who believe he performs well in these debates?

I actually haven't encountered anyone who uses a Comfort argument - the best I've gotten is ridiculous forwards including the coke can/banana thing. No one is actually willing to take his position and run with it though (at least not in my experience).

Meatros
10-16-2009, 02:58 PM

I would assume that it would provide incredible discomfort to those who enjoyed a medium well Ray...

Meatros
10-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Yes, this is the guy who cited bananas, even though bananas are cloned and AFAIK cannot be produced without human intervention.

Further, the banana we eat today is actually inferior to the ones (the Gros Michele - sp?) we ate 50 years ago.

Sampiro
10-16-2009, 03:10 PM
It's interesting to speculate on what would have become of Cameron if he hadn't found Fundamentalism. He's clearly got some serious loose screws and a near addictive personality doesn't mind turning off his critical thinking for decades, so I'm guessing if it hadn't been Christianity it would have been Scientology. If it weren't a religion of any kind then he'd probably have a "measles-mumps-and-rubella-vaccines-are-government-mind-control-dot com" or he'd be on talk shows claiming either that George Bush personally capped 52 people in the Twin Towers on 9-11 or that Obama and Ahmadinejad are the same person.

He's actually one of the most popular actors in the world believe it or not due to the phenomenal popularity of Growing Pains in China. I wonder if he has been there to proselytize yet.

Captain Lance Murdoch
10-16-2009, 08:59 PM

The cannibals could take note of how he was perfectly created for the purpose of being cannibalized and use it as evidence that their God must exist exactly as described in their holy writings.

lissener
10-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Oh my god, someone besides me saw this movie???

Jeep's Phoenix
10-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Nah, I just saw a highlights clip on YouTube. I'm not sure if I could sit through the whole thing.

Sampiro
10-17-2009, 03:19 PM

I didn't see it but it was huge down here, largely because of church groups buying out showings. There are also all manner of "Fireproof your marriage" workshops- there's apparently a big tie-in to the movie.

In case there are any Dopers not familiar, the weirdest thing about the movie to me is that the final scene called for the main character (Kirk Cameron's character) to kiss his wife. Cameron, being far holier than such heretical satanic party boys like Jimmy Stewart and Chuck Norris, insisted that his real life wife stand in for the actress playing his wife (shadows and from the back photography) so he wouldn't have to kiss another woman.

lissener
10-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I watched it because when I was working at the video store I mine all the garbage for camp gems; sometimes you find some real polished turds. This one looked especially ripe.

Interestingly, despite the shotgun-in-the-face subtlety of its agenda, it actually succeeds fairly well as drama. If it didn't have that eerie, faux-reality feel of a PSA for senior citizens (you keep expecting the actors to freeze, look at the screen, and address you directly with a fake smile--"Hi, I'm June Allyson for Depends!"), it actually might have been somewhat compelling. It felt like one of those bizarre B-movies about Revelations I was forced to watch at church in the 70s, only with slightly higher production values.

When Kirk's dad finally convinces him to give the Lord a chance, it comes off exactly like he's talking about a laxative or a life insurance policy. Which of course he is.

AskNott
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM

After crowmanyclouds sidetracked me with a link to Wiki's Peyronie's page, which linked to the Andropenis site, I read this as
2- Comfort include the "Banana augmentation" :eek::smack:

Sampiro
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
After crowmanyclouds sidetracked me with a link to Wiki's Peyronie's page, which linked to the Andropenis site, I read this as
2- Comfort include the "Banana augmentation" :eek::smack:

That sounds like the title of a BIG BANG THEORY episode.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.