PDA

View Full Version : Chicken and noodle over mashed potatoes--alien concept?

jsgoddess
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
When I was a kid, my family occasionally had chicken and noodles or beef and noodles and would eat them over mashed potatoes. This isn't something I would still do just because I don't find that much carbohydrate to be too good, but it doesn't strike me as weird. My coworkers from this area also find it a normal idea.

But my SIL, from West Virginia, thinks it's bizarre. She found out my brother's favorite dish is beef and noodles over mashed potatoes and she thought he was a giant freak. (He might be, but I think the evidence lies elsewhere!)

So, whether or not you find it appealing, do you think the idea of chicken noodle over mashed potatoes is weird?

Avarie537
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
One of my mom's favorite things to make and eat is chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes with corn! Talk about a starch overload. FWIW, she's from Southern Indiana.

h.sapiens
01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
It seems odd to me, because in my mind, noodles and potatoes don't go together. Same with noodles and rice or rice and potatoes.

salinqmind
01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't think it's 'weird'. I could see a harried mom of 8 slopping it over mashed potatoes to fill up all those stomaches. But I wouldn't go out of my way to make it for a 'normal' dinner. It's too much of a muddle, more than one starch.

otternell
01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
weird? hardly! Freaking delicious! I am gonna make some on Sunday!

Death of Rats
01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Chicken noodles with mashed potatoes and corn is one of my favortie dishes. I vote for your SIL being the wierd one! :)

otternell
01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I prefer peas with mine!

Asimovian
01-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Sounds weird to me, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed before I tried it, either. On the other hand, I might not call it the next day.

pulykamell
01-05-2010, 11:54 AM
A bit odd to me, but not bizarre. I wouldn't do it because noodles and potatoes just seem redundant. Just chicken and potatoes or beef and potatoes would be fine. Then again, my favorite pierogi are the potato ones, so I can't complain too much about combining two starches in one dish.

cochrane
01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Doesn't sound weird to me at all. Sounds delicious.

Contrapuntal
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I prefer peas with mine!How do you keep them on your knife?

Mama Zappa
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Sounds tasty, if a bit heavy on the starch.

Anyone got a good recipe for the chicken/noodles part?

Mama Zappa
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
How do you keep them on your knife?
With honey, of course :rolleyes: ;).

BigBertha
01-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I used to love mashed potato sandwiches!

ZipperJJ
01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Bob Evans has a whole line* of Deep Dish Dinners (http://bobevans.com/menu/Dinner/Deep-Dish_Dinners%E2%84%A2.aspx), including Chicken-N-Noodles over mashed potatoes.

*Technically a "line" of dinners, because they have their own trademark and menu section, but there's only 2 items.

otternell
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Take some chicken (thighs, breasts, whatever) throw it in a crockpot with celery, carrots and onions (all cut up), cover with a 50/50 of water and broth (I find this gives it a lot of flavor, without going crazy on the sodium) though some people go all broth. Add pepper. cook for hours and hours, until the chicken meat falls off the bones. Remove the bones and discard. Cut up chicken into smaller pieces if it didn't fall apart as small as you would like.

Transfer some of the broth to a sauce pan, bring to a boil, add noodles (I use homemade - insanely easy, no pasta maker involved) and cook until tender, add back to crock and voila.

Then just serve with mashed taters and peas. (or corn or green beans.)

Its like chicken noodle soup (obviously less "soupy" and more of a gravy/stew texture) over mashed potatoes.

davey77
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
For our major holiday dinners, the women in my family would always get out of bed early to begin preparing homemade noodles for the feast, which, since we were country folk, would usually happen around noon.

And yes, we served the noodles on top of potatoes. Even as a child, I thought this was a little weird, but tasty enough.

Cut to 1998. I began seeing a girl from Newark, Ohio and on one of my visits to her family, we decided to eat at Miller's Essenplatz, a large complex with an Amish theme and a gift shop selling the locally made Longaberger baskets.

Turns out, this restaurant's specialty is beef/chicken and noodles served over mashed potatoes, served up with plenty of bread and a choice of side dish. Want fries with that? No problem!

Through the years, I have discovered that we weren't the only ones eating this bland yet hearty combination.

otternell
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah - nobody makes chicken and noodles like the Amish! My husband grew up with this dish, but I did not, so my first exposure to it was at an Amish restaurant.

jsgoddess
01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Cut to 1998. I began seeing a girl from Newark, Ohio and on one of my visits to her family, we decided to eat at Miller's Essenplatz, a large complex with an Amish theme and a gift shop selling the locally made Longaberger baskets.

Hi, neighbor by proxy! (I'm from very near there.)

davey77
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Hi, neighbor by proxy! (I'm from very near there.)

Hello, jsgoddess. Always glad to meet someone from unglaciated Ohio.

zweisamkeit
01-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm from Detroit, and I find it really odd, heh.

Student Driver
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Never had it, but it doesn't sound that weird. It's just a different type of gravy, really. Shepherd's pie seems like a close relative.

Mangetout
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
It sounds unusual to me, but nice at the same time - two different carbohydrate types can be quite nice - I quite often include chunks of boiled potato in my macaroni cheese, and I have had mashed potato with bread and gravy before now, so why not noodles and mash?

Skammer
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Never heard of it, and it definitely sounds weird.

jjimm
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
To quote from Big Night: "Nooo! Ees a starch and a starch!"

I wouldn't do it but I'm sure it tastes lovely.

Spoke
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Noodles? On potatoes?

Insanity!

AuntiePam
01-05-2010, 04:50 PM
It's comfort food. I prefer it with lots of butter -- butter gravy, if you will. Real butter.

Freudian Slit
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Sounds weird to me, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed before I tried it, either. On the other hand, I might not call it the next day.

Same here. I'd never heard of them before, but I'd give them a whirl.

freckafree
01-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm from West Virginia, and I'd never heard of such a thing until I moved to this part of NE Ohio, which borders Amish country.

We hosted a national conference a few years ago, and we had Amish-type food for one of the lunches, and we had to instruct people that the chicken and noodles was supposed to go on top of the mashed potatoes.

Spoke
01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
It's comfort food.

Well sure... if a diabetic coma is comforting. ;) (kidding, kidding...)

don't ask
01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Never heard of it but long ago I discovered that all the things you pile food on top of are interchangeable.

Thus mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, pasta, steamed vegetables, cous cous, bread, toast, pancakes, any other mashed/smashed vegetable can be used with any "topping".

Don't feel like rice with your curry, toast some bread chop in to cubes put curry on top.

Sick of spaghetti, slice veges long and thin, steam put sauce on top.

Don't feel like a tuna sandwich, stir the tuna through some noodles.

jsgoddess
01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm from West Virginia, and I'd never heard of such a thing until I moved to this part of NE Ohio, which borders Amish country.

Yeah, I wonder if this is a German and Amish thing. My family's German, and there are lots of Amish around here, too.

Savannah
01-05-2010, 09:29 PM
It seems odd to me, because in my mind, noodles and potatoes don't go together. Same with noodles and rice or rice and potatoes.

Exactly. It's potatoes OR pasta OR rice OR bread.

Queen Tonya
01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I've never heard of it, but I'd try it if offered.

My family thinks I'm scandalous for chopping a single potato up to toss into a pot of chicken noodle soup or into chicken and dumplings. Dumplings and noodles are both carbs already, a wee potato added in with celery, onion, and carrot isn't a veg, it's more carb, oh the insanity. I kind of like the tiny bit of thickening that happens from the starch in the potato, that's all.

cochrane
01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I prefer peas with mine!

How do you keep them on your knife?

With honey, of course :rolleyes: ;).

I eat my peas with honey.
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on my knife.

Quercus alba
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Wife's family puts cream style canned corn on mashed potatoes--and have taught my children to do the same!

Chefguy
01-05-2010, 11:20 PM
The OP sounds kind of weird and I've never seen it. But then again I ordered cioppino the other night in a restaurant and it came served over spaghetti, so who knows what sort of wackiness goes on in the world.

missred
01-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Not alien, just rural midwestern.

This was the preferred way of eating chicken / beef and noodles growing up in Indiana. Friends from Iowa and Nebraska grew up on the same thing.

Good stuff in a bland, comfort food sort of way, way too many carbs to eat often.

HazelNutCoffee
01-05-2010, 11:38 PM
A bit odd to me, but not bizarre.
Pretty much my reaction. It sounds like it could be good, but noodle + potatoes sound a bit too much for me.

Brynda
01-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I am from the south, where we love our carbs, and I have never heard of this. Seems a little weird, but probably yummy.

eenerms
01-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I first saw this 'dish' in a small town restaurant in my husband's home town in Indiana. Thought it was weird then thinks it's weird now.:)

WarmNPrickly
01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
It's not that it sounds weird, but I can't figure out what it is. Is it chicken noodle soup poured over mashed potatoes? Is it a chicken breast put over noodles and mashed potatoes. Is there gravy? Is it fried chicken over noodles and mashed potatoes? Are the potatoes mashed?

It sounds like great comfort food, but too unfamiliar for my own comfort.

Asimovian
01-06-2010, 12:29 AM
It's not that it sounds weird, but I can't figure out what it is. Is it chicken noodle soup poured over mashed potatoes? Is it a chicken breast put over noodles and mashed potatoes. Is there gravy? Is it fried chicken over noodles and mashed potatoes? Are the potatoes mashed?The bolded/underlined part -- I want that!

jsgoddess
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
It's not that it sounds weird, but I can't figure out what it is. Is it chicken noodle soup poured over mashed potatoes? Is it a chicken breast put over noodles and mashed potatoes. Is there gravy? Is it fried chicken over noodles and mashed potatoes? Are the potatoes mashed?

It sounds like great comfort food, but too unfamiliar for my own comfort.

Imagine really really thick chicken noodle soup. There's not a whole lot of broth, and it's thickened.

otternell
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
And the spuds are mashed. Its truly like a chicken "stew" only with noodles (which soaks up the broth) then you add some thickener (like cornstarch - wow even more starch - who guessed!) and it basically becomes chunks of chicken (with veggies) and noodles, in a chicken gravy, over mashed potatoes. Served with toast of course.

My husband would go nuts if I thought of serving chicken and noodles without mashed potatoes and toast. How can you possibly soak up all the gravy without spuds and bread??!!

It is comfort food, as long as you don't eat a lot of it. Too much and it is a discomfort food as your stomach bloats! :) Yumm!

jsgoddess
01-06-2010, 11:14 AM
It is comfort food, as long as you don't eat a lot of it. Too much and it is a discomfort food as your stomach bloats! :) Yumm!

I'm amused by "yum" being after "bloating."

Nothing could be finer than being bloated in the diner in the mooooornin'.

Alessan
01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Never heard of it but long ago I discovered that all the things you pile food on top of are interchangeable.

Thus mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, pasta, steamed vegetables, cous cous, bread, toast, pancakes, any other mashed/smashed vegetable can be used with any "topping".

Don't feel like rice with your curry, toast some bread chop in to cubes put curry on top.

Sick of spaghetti, slice veges long and thin, steam put sauce on top.

Don't feel like a tuna sandwich, stir the tuna through some noodles.

I agree completely. Some of my favorite combinations are ratatouille on couscous and rice bolognese.

elfkin477
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
It does souns odd, and I'm having trouble getting past the chicken and noodles part. Are we talking about them as a soup or more of a casserole? Like a casserole sounds less odd than soup, but still fairly odd to be put on potatoes.

Skammer
01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
The I ordered cioppino the other night in a restaurant and it came served over spaghetti.
Wait, what? :eek: Did you get bread with that?

I love cioppino but... no, that's not right.

Shakes
01-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Loose the noodles and I'll be happy to eat a big ol' plate full.

To me the noodles are the WTF? Sort of on par with how KFC puts cheese on top of their sadness bowls.

Purd Werfect
01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Sounds good in the same way that drunk food sounds good. Tasty as hell, but overkill in some way. I don't think it's particularly odd, but I prefer one starch per meal. (Except when restaurants give you bread to dip in olive oil and balsamic before dinner.)

Dogzilla
01-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I wonder if this is a German and Amish thing. My family's German, and there are lots of Amish around here, too.

I believe it is. I'm from NE Ohio, which is chock full of people descended from German, Polish, and Slavic immigrants, among them the Amish. Not sure from which culture exactly that the noodles + potatoes came from, but I can tell you that I grew up on that dish and you've got me hankering for warm-me-up heavy German comfort food like my German grandmother used to make.

:: drool ::

badbadrubberpiggy
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
It does souns odd, and I'm having trouble getting past the chicken and noodles part. Are we talking about them as a soup or more of a casserole? Like a casserole sounds less odd than soup, but still fairly odd to be put on potatoes.

More like gravy. Like the inside of a chicken pot pie, but with noodles, too.

It's familiar to me, but I don't love it. When I make it, I leave out the noodles, to me it really is overkill and I feel too stuffed. Or I do beef & gravy over noodles or potatoes.

ETA: and I agree it might be a German/Polish immigrant thing, it's one of the things my grandfather always made (and pierogies!), and his parents immigrated from Poland around 1912.

Dogzilla
01-06-2010, 04:47 PM

More like a casserole, but not that solid.

Grandma made homemade egg noodles -- they are very thick and hearty, totally unlike egg noodles you buy in the grocery store.

She took the leftover chicken and boiled it with the noodles and thickened the sauce however German Grandmothers thicken sauces. I'm thinking there's an awful lot of starch in those homemade egg noodles, which are pretty much just flour and eggs, rolled out and cut into ribbons.

So think like chicken and dumplings or a very thick stew consistency. Gramma would have made the chicken and noodles in a big Dutch oven or in a crock pot.

Couldn't you just invoke your Google Fu for images? Wouldn't that be easier than me trying to write to describe something that I haven't eaten in at least 20 years? :smack:

This looks about right. (http://perkyandprofessor.blogspot.com/2009/11/amish-dinner-of-chicken-and-noodles.html)

otternell
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
its close - but not enough gravy!

badbadrubberpiggy
01-06-2010, 05:14 PM
its close - but not enough gravy!

I agree! More gravy is needed - I'm sticking with my "inside of a chicken pot pie, but with noodles added" description. That's the closest common food item I can think of.

cuberdon
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Noodles? On potatoes?

Insanity!

From Marcella Hazan:

http://www.dolcevita.com/cuisine/recipes/sum/recipe6.htm

Lok
01-08-2010, 11:04 PM
When I was growing up it was beef & noodles over mashed potatoes. Tastes great. Still have it every once in a while when the family gets together.

Lacunae Matata
01-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Haven't tried it, but doesn't sound bad... Heavy, but not bad. But then, I always make a pot of rice to go with pot roast. Beef, carrots, potatoes, and broth/gravy, served over rice. Food of the gods! (Made it earlier this week - awesome cold weather food, awesome "planned leftover" food.) My husband hadn't tried it this way before, but he enjoyed it!

Maybe these extra starches are just a way to stretch more expensive ingredients into a more filling meal? Around here (coastal Georgia,) rice was traditionally cheap, and potatoes cost relatively more. My family ate/eats rice with virtually everything, except for meals where grits were served. My stepdad, on the other hand, is from West Virginia, and expects potatoes with everything - rice is just weird, to him.

Oslo Ostragoth
01-09-2010, 02:34 AM
When I was a kid, my family occasionally had chicken and noodles or beef and noodles and would eat them over mashed potatoes. This isn't something I would still do just because I don't find that much carbohydrate to be too good, but it doesn't strike me as weird. My coworkers from this area also find it a normal idea.

But my SIL, from West Virginia, thinks it's bizarre. She found out my brother's favorite dish is beef and noodles over mashed potatoes and she thought he was a giant freak. (He might be, but I think the evidence lies elsewhere!)

So, whether or not you find it appealing, do you think the idea of chicken noodle over mashed potatoes is weird?

My mom does this, and I think it is weird. Starch overload.

faithfool
01-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Sounds yummy. Anyone having any for lunch and am I invited? :D

Stillwell Angel
01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Its the only way I have ever known of eating chicken/beef & noodles. It never occurred to me to eat either without mashed potatoes underneath. What is more surprising to me though is the amount of American posters who don't know what chicken & noodles is. I thought that was pretty standard American comfort food. :confused:

MissGypsy
01-09-2010, 08:28 PM
It's the standard, to me, but I grew up in Indiana. Still one of my cold-weather comfort foods, but I'm lazy and make my chicken and noodles in the crockpot.

Stillwell Angel
01-09-2010, 09:10 PM
It's the standard, to me, but I grew up in Indiana. Still one of my cold-weather comfort foods, but I'm lazy and make my chicken and noodles in the crockpot.

I have always lived here in Indiana as well. Must be a Hoosier thing. ;)

Alice The Goon
01-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I keep seeing this thread, and the idea of both noodles and potatoes together is just so wrong! I grew up in Michigan around Germans and Polacks, and I have never heard of this before just lately. Talk about carb city- you'd probably find me in a coma after a big dish of this...

Stillwell Angel
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I keep seeing this thread, and the idea of both noodles and potatoes together is just so wrong! I grew up in Michigan around Germans and Polacks, and I have never heard of this before just lately. Talk about carb city- you'd probably find me in a coma after a big dish of this...

But...but...its the GOOD kind of coma! The kind where you say "Oh God never again", knowing damn good and well your gonna heat a bowl of that coma goodness up for lunch tomorrow.

Oh and all the carb haters are really going to trip if I add the fact that underneath the mashed potatoes, which are underneath the noodles, I always have a slice of bread as a foundation for the whole concoction. Hey, its winter, and cold, and I have not much meat on these bones to keep me warm. I do what I gotta do to pad my scrawny butt!

dropzone
01-10-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm immensely fat and grew up down South and I still find the recipe in the OP sickening, I mean, it has no French fries or alternate meats or anything. ;)

No, really, I've heard of it but even I have my standards. Can I get a large coleslaw on the side? And maybe some watermelon? Really, I'll be happy if you leave it at both of them and nothing else.

Neptunian Slug
01-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Chicken, noodles and mashed potatoes. There is nothing about that which sounds bad. I may habe to try it.

Miss Woodhouse
01-10-2010, 01:02 AM
I've heard of it and I was raised on it. The noodles must be home made and thrown in the pot as soon as you make them. My mom always rolled the dough out with a rolling pin (no fancy pasta maker at her house) so the noodles would be very thick, over 1/8" thick and uneven widths when cooked. They are chewy and lovely and a nice counterpoint to the chicken and potatoes.

It's a cheap dinner that warms your family on a cold day. It's not summer food. It's a meal for January or February when you need something that will fill your stomach and the root cellar is getting empty. A throw back meal to another time.

I've fed it to my children a few times but they always ask for the "soup" and potatoes to be served separately. Weirdos.

rosedavid403
10-28-2010, 09:51 AM
The people around Terre Haute Indiana area and central Illinois/Paris eat homemade noodles over mashed potatoes for Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays and family reunions. That area use to be mostly Irish and this was one of their favorite meals . I still make it every year for the holidays it is my family's favorite meal.The noodles are better cooked in turkey juice.

Annie-Xmas
10-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I love to make a meal out of soup with enough instant mashed potatoes added to make a sludge.

Leaffan
10-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I prefer my noodles over brains.

Apocalypso
10-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Never had it with chicken, but my mom used to make beef, noodles and gravy, with mashed potatoes and a veggie. The potatoes were on the side, not underneath or mixed with everything else. She used wide flat noodles, similar to the ones in the Amish dinner picture someone linked to, but a bit wider. Delicious!

DCnDC
10-28-2010, 10:37 AM
When I make étouffée I have it over tater tots. It's delicious.

Hypno-Toad
10-28-2010, 02:05 PM

Exactly. It's redundant to have noodles and mashed potatoes together because they both serve the same role as the hearty but bland palette for the tastier meats and veggies.

Dung Beetle
10-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I wouldn’t serve it or order it, but I’d eat it if there wasn’t any normal food around. :)

congodwarf
10-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Take some chicken (thighs, breasts, whatever) throw it in a crockpot with..........

Thank you.

Would you mind sharing your noodle instructions?

Edit to add: Forgot to mention that I have no problem with this (obviously) but I'd mix corn AND peas into the mashed potatoes before putting the meat, noodles, and veggies over the top.

Then, I'd eat a small portion because that's a whole lotta food.

BigT
10-29-2010, 03:35 AM
I've never heard of it, but it seems no different starchwise than adding crackers or cornbread to soup to make it more filling. So I don't think it's weird

I have had some really good chicken noodle soups with potato chunks in them, so I think I may try it next time I have to go on a BRAT diet.

nonacetone
10-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm a Hoosier, living near the Terre Haute area. I've heard of it, and eaten it. As long as I can remember, my family has always had chicken & noodles served over mashed potatoes. I still make it for my family in the cold, winter months. They expect the homemade noodles, as well as the entire thing made from scratch. It's delicious.

Pai325
10-29-2010, 07:47 AM
I live in south-central Illinois and it's common here. People think I'm odd because I don't do it.

Duke
10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread first time around. My mom made this at least once a week for years and years, and it was her mom's favorite meal....and I think she learned to make it from her German-American mother-in-law. Carb-o-licious.