PDA

View Full Version : I need a pit of horrible creatures to feed people to...what species should I use?

Ranchoth
02-25-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm embarking on a political career in the near future, so I need some zoological advice for my palace architect. Namely, what kind of human-devouring animals should I stock the trapdoor pits with?

The criteria are: A) They have to be capable of skeletonizing a human body—within an hour or two, if possible, though anything under a work week will do, while B) Leaving said skeleton as intact as possible, for use in assembling garden decorations, and C) The creatures' habitat has to be something that can reasonably be built under the floor of a non-dedicated building (a half-million gallon salt water tank, for instance, wouldn't be "reasonable").

I think this barely counts as a GQ, kinda. So...any thoughts?

Jackmannii
02-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Canis familiaris jackrusselianus.

Hypno-Toad
02-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Pigs. The bonus is that you can make bacon afterwards.

Mangetout
02-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Assuming they can be adequately contained and entertained when you're not killing people, maybe a large colony of one of those tropical species of 'army ants'?

Mangetout
02-25-2010, 08:22 AM

In Soviet Russia, Bacon eat You!

Erdosain
02-25-2010, 08:35 AM

I would have said pigs too, just on the basis of Deadwood and Snatch. However, the OP wants the skeletons intact. It's my understanding (again, based on the super scientific basis of Brick Top's monologue in Snatch) that pigs chew through human bones "like butter."

If the OP wants skeletons intact AND skeletonization within hours, I think piranhas are your only bet. Good luck cleaning that fish tank.

lieu
02-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Rats. Hundreds and hundreds of big, voracious rats.

grimpixie
02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Would a pit of Necrotizing fasciitis do the job - it would't be much to look at to be sure...?

Mangetout
02-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Would a pit of Necrotizing fasciitis do the job - it would't be much to look at to be sure...?

More than made up for by the smell, I expect.

lazybratsche
02-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Museums and taxidermists use dermestid beetles (http://www.skulltaxidermy.com/kits.html) to prepare their skeletons. They'll take a fresh corpse and give you nice clean bones in a few weeks, faster if you've got a big hungry colony. Of course, they won't be able to kill your prisoners, so you'll have to do that yourself before chucking the prisoners in the pit. Or just make it a really deep pit...

Do I get bonus points for linking to a place that can actually stock your pit of doom?

billfish678
02-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Barbarella had it right.

Parakeets, lots of parakeets. Clip the wing feathers so they can't fly out of the pit. Should be a nice slow death.

ZomZom
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
The first batch of humans become canibals for subsequent batches.

LSLGuy
02-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Skeletons don't stay intact if the eater is big enough to disturb the bones. The meat & such is what holds the bones together.

If you use dog-sized or bigger critters, they're gonna scatter the bones all over the pit, even if we assume they can't eat any of them. Even rats will disturb all the small bones and some of the big bones.

I think about a jillion of those beetles are the solution. The victims get some nice psychological torture down there chest deep in the seething bugs they know will eat them once they die of thirst / starvation. Or they could try to stay alive a bit longer by eating the bugs.

But you'll need to design the floor as a raisable grate with holes small enough for the bugs to drop through. After a few victims have been cleaned, just raise the floor a few feet leaving most of the bugs to fall through. Retrieve the skeletons that are finished enough, then lower the strainer back into the bugs to get back to work. You'll lose a few bugs each time, but they're fast reproducers & have plenty of food.

Mangetout
02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Museums and taxidermists use dermestid beetles (http://www.skulltaxidermy.com/kits.html) to prepare their skeletons. They'll take a fresh corpse and give you nice clean bones in a few weeks, faster if you've got a big hungry colony. Of course, they won't be able to kill your prisoners...Are they polite enough to wait until you're dead to start eating you? If you're standing naked, waist deep in the critters, and assuming they are happy enough to eat freshly-dead things, aren't they going to start eating you straight away, bringing about your death in the process?

pancakes3
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
ants

Sunspace
02-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Well, I guess my plan involving tentacles is out then...

stpauler
02-25-2010, 10:50 AM
There was the urban myth of the ratel, aka honey badger (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article2062085.ece), that was going around Iraq eating people.

MeDrewNotYou
02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm embarking on a political career in the near future, so I need some zoological advice for my palace architect. Namely, what kind of human-devouring animals should I stock the trapdoor pits with?

The criteria are: A) They have to be capable of skeletonizing a human body—within an hour or two, if possible, though anything under a work week will do, while B) Leaving said skeleton as intact as possible, for use in assembling garden decorations, and C) The creatures' habitat has to be something that can reasonably be built under the floor of a non-dedicated building (a half-million gallon salt water tank, for instance, wouldn't be "reasonable").

I think this barely counts as a GQ, kinda. So...any thoughts?

I was going to suggest a sarlaac, but I'm guessing a thousand years of digestion (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlaac#Digestive_system) is a bit much to ask.

As for requirement C, I'd guess a juvenile might fit in a swimming pool sized sand box. They might even digest faster too!

kopek
02-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Save some for the gators and you can have some lovely shoes and clothes.

lazybratsche
02-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Are they polite enough to wait until you're dead to start eating you? If you're standing naked, waist deep in the critters, and assuming they are happy enough to eat freshly-dead things, aren't they going to start eating you straight away, bringing about your death in the process?

I don't know. I haven't seen or used these beetles often, but they don't seem particularly ferocious. They're more like carpet beetles that happen to have a knack for nibbling flesh from bones. In moderate quantities, I'd guess that they'd be easy enough for the victim to brush off. A waist-deep layer might work, but they might be too stressed out to efficiently strip meat from bones in a situation like this.

I think this calls for some experiments... If the OP has some funding (and, er, experimental subjects) I'd be happy to submit a research proposal...

Turek
02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Are they polite enough to wait until you're dead to start eating you? If you're standing naked, waist deep in the critters, and assuming they are happy enough to eat freshly-dead things, aren't they going to start eating you straight away, bringing about your death in the process?

That was my question, although the username/question combo wasn't near as appropriate.

Darryl Lict
02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
How about a pool of piranha? That should fit reasonably well in a large basement. Just nick up your enemy a bit to get them bleeding pretty good and bind the legs and arms so that they don't thrash around too much.

MrDibble
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Screwworms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysomya_bezziana). Lots of screwworms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochliomyia_hominivorax).

Mama Zappa
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
I don't know. I haven't seen or used these beetles often, but they don't seem particularly ferocious. They're more like carpet beetles that happen to have a knack for nibbling flesh from bones. In moderate quantities, I'd guess that they'd be easy enough for the victim to brush off. A waist-deep layer might work, but they might be too stressed out to efficiently strip meat from bones in a situation like this.

I think this calls for some experiments... If the OP has some funding (and, er, experimental subjects) I'd be happy to submit a research proposal...
Depending on whether the OP is going for entertainment value as well, or merely wants efficiency, one can drop the human visitors into the pit live but tied up, or dead.

Of course, if the "live but tied up", the bonds would need to be constructed of something the beetles won't chew through. Would they eat rope? I suspect metal cables or plastic would hold up well enough until the victim no longer had any fight left in him/her.

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Assuming they can be adequately contained and entertained when you're not killing people, maybe a large colony of one of those tropical species of 'army ants'?

I'm seconding this. Nasty enough to strip you down to the bone, small enough not to disturb those bones very much, and they're insects, presumably having quick life cycles.

Meeko
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't know about how fatal they would be, but I would throw some horned toads into your pit.

They spit blood. Out of their eyes, no less.

That way you could scare them half to death, and let the rest of the pit take over.

Kobal2
02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I'd suggest carrion birds. Large vultures if you can spare the expense, crows if you are more of a budget evil Overlord. Simply tie your victim up on the roof (or in your spacious aviary, again if we're not sparing any expense) and let the little darlings eat 'em alive. The bones might get scattered a bit, but they'll be cleaned very thoroughly. I'm told the birds start with the eyes, too. So there's that wholesome sadistic appeal to it that the whole family can enjoy.

And if you want to get medieval on their ass, there's no shortage of vintage gibbets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbet) to be bought, either.

ETA : as a plus side, since they're outside your palace, there's little in the way of cleaning the pits, which get smelly. And a bunch of circling vultures over your domain has a definite cachet.

Dr. Drake
02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
What about moray eels? At least you'd have tradition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedius_Pollio) on your side.

Saltire
02-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I think beetles, but have some spikes in the bottom of the pit to prepare the object of your displeasure for the insect's feast.

Whack-a-Mole
02-25-2010, 02:34 PM

I'll third this.

I recall a friend reading (I think, been a long while now) a book called "The Red Tent" and she described a bit in there where this village in Africa had to pick up and move everything they could across the river because a huge swarm of army ants (or some kind of ant) was moving through. Apparently these things are biological Hoovers and just strip everything in their path. Any animal overrun, even big animals, are doomed. She said the villagers kinda liked it since the ants essentially gave the village a super deep clean. Vermin, other bugs...whatever...all cleared away.

So, I think such ants are ornery enough and dangerous enough in numbers and industrious enough to get the job done.

ETA: The scarabs in the movie "The Mummy" looked adept at this. Undoubtedly creative license was taken but not sure if scarabs would really go to town on people like that or not.

Mama Zappa
02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I think beetles, but have some spikes in the bottom of the pit to prepare the object of your displeasure for the insect's feast.
Oh, excellent! This way there'll be blood for them to smell, which one would assume would help them take notice of the newly-arrived dinner.

I still think that the guest should be bound in some way. Hard to drop them onto spikes with enough accurace to be sure that the arms/legs are sufficiently immobilized; if the soon-to-be-dinner is able to flail, the poor beetles might get squashed just for doing their jobs :mad:.

I'm really thinking too much about this, aren't I? ;)

simple homer
02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd suggest carrion birds. Large vultures if you can spare the expense, crows if you are more of a budget evil Overlord. Simply tie your victim up on the roof (or in your spacious aviary, again if we're not sparing any expense) and let the little darlings eat 'em alive. The bones might get scattered a bit, but they'll be cleaned very thoroughly. I'm told the birds start with the eyes, too. So there's that wholesome sadistic appeal to it that the whole family can enjoy.

And if you want to get medieval on their ass, there's no shortage of vintage gibbets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbet) to be bought, either.

ETA : as a plus side, since they're outside your palace, there's little in the way of cleaning the pits, which get smelly. And a bunch of circling vultures over your domain has a definite cachet.

I like the way you think !
Only problem with a carrion bird is that the victim needs to be dead first....

dracoi
02-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Hagfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagfish).

I don't know about rapid skeletonization but they'll get the job done - even on whales - given enough time. In the meantime, they're burrowing under your skin to get at the best parts, all while producing gallons of slimy mucus. (Yes, gallons. If you've ever held a hagfish, you know that they can produce orders of magnitude more mucus than you could possibly imagine.)

Freudian Slit
02-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Komodo dragons!

gonzomax
02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Army ants. Lots of them.
Piranha in a water tank. Need to cut them first.

Kobal2
02-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Only problem with a carrion bird is that the victim needs to be dead first....

Not necessarily. He/she just has to be restrained and/or sedated somewhat. Surely the OP has people to do that for him. Besides, if all else fails, I'm sure starvation and dehydration will eventually result in a complacent subject.

ianzin
02-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Komodo dragons!I've been to Komodo Island to visit the dragons, and I've even stood close enough to them to touch them (not that I actually did). They are not a good choice, in any way.

First of all, very hard to obtain, transport and keep in captivity.

Secondly, they do not naturally predate on people, despite all the rumours and despite the occasional fatality which can only be attributed to a rather freakish combination of factors. On Komodo Island itself, kids will carry on playing in the path while dragons walk along nearby, showing complete mutual indifference (I've seen this with my own eyes). Dragons want to hunt and kill smaller things, like wild goats or sometimes wild boars.

Thirdly, the dragons only get aggressive and predatory for a short time in the afternoon. They spend all morning in a very sluggish, torpid and normally rather motionless state, 'sunning' themselves to get enough energy to go hunting.

Fourthly, if you use more than one of them, it will be hard to stop them fighting among themselves instead of attacking the visitors as intended.

Fifthly, even if you do get the plan to work, no way will you be left with an intact
skeleton. Anything a Komodo dragon kills will look a very sorry mess afterwards.

I know too much about this, don't I?

tanstaafl
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
OK, all you need to do is to breed some Chihuanhas (http://www.chihuanhas.com/index.html)...

Freudian Slit
02-25-2010, 04:32 PM
But the image of komodo dragons viciously tearing flesh from bodies is so awesome! Can't you leave me with my fantasy? Or at least come up with a creepy lizard that WILL do my bidding?

ianzin
02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
But the image of komodo dragons viciously tearing flesh from bodies is so awesome! Can't you leave me with my fantasy? Or at least come up with a creepy lizard that WILL do my bidding? You're right... I apologise for spitting in your cornflakes. Facts be damned. Yes! Komodo dragons! I've seen these viscious, bloodthirsty brutes up close and personal and by God, they'd do the job perfectly! You'd see razor sharp teeth and claws ripping into flesh and sinew with astounding savagery, eviscerating the raw, bloodied flesh with the practised ease of a natural born killer, tearing muscle and skin from the clean-pick'd bone with truly horrific speed and sickening thoroughness. They are very much the Terminators of the animal kingdom - vile, disgusting killing machines that knows nothing of restraint or compassion. No problem - give them a small pit area to call their own, toss people in and watch the fun. And dragons are known for leaving the skeleton almost perfectly intact. An ideal choice.

Mangetout
02-25-2010, 05:36 PM
How about plain old blowfly maggots? - again, I think if the political dissident is immersed in them to his or her neck, they're not going to wait to start munching, especially if they can find a handy orifice to get in through.

Freudian Slit
02-25-2010, 05:40 PM
You're right... I apologise for spitting in your cornflakes. Facts be damned. Yes! Komodo dragons! I've seen these viscious, bloodthirsty brutes up close and personal and by God, they'd do the job perfectly! You'd see razor sharp teeth and claws ripping into flesh and sinew with astounding savagery, eviscerating the raw, bloodied flesh with the practised ease of a natural born killer, tearing muscle and skin from the clean-pick'd bone with truly horrific speed and sickening thoroughness. They are very much the Terminators of the animal kingdom - vile, disgusting killing machines that knows nothing of restraint or compassion. No problem - give them a small pit area to call their own, toss people in and watch the fun. And dragons are known for leaving the skeleton almost perfectly intact. An ideal choice.

Cool. Have they released a winged edition yet?

Der Trihs
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
How about plain old blowfly maggots? - again, I think if the political dissident is immersed in them to his or her neck, they're not going to wait to start munching, especially if they can find a handy orifice to get in through.That depends; some kinds simply refuse to eat live tissue, and are actually used in "maggot therapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowfly#Maggot_therapy)" specifically because they'll eat only the dead flesh from a wound. It would be a shame for your Pit of Maggoty Doom to have therapeutic uses, all because you chose the wrong maggot species.

MrDibble
02-26-2010, 09:05 AM
That depends; some kinds simply refuse to eat live tissue, and are actually used in "maggot therapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowfly#Maggot_therapy)" specifically because they'll eat only the dead flesh from a wound. It would be a shame for your Pit of Maggoty Doom to have therapeutic uses, all because you chose the wrong maggot species.

That's why I suggested screwworms. Blowflies' nastier cousins, who are perfectly happy munching their own way into live things.

ianzin
02-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Cool. Have they released a winged edition yet? Of course. Commoner on the eastern coast of the island, as I recall, where the trees are a bit taller. Not magnificent flyers, to be fair, but fond of gliding among higher thermal currents wearing a rather lofty air of effortless superiority. They are known to be capable of predatory sorties from the air, although the flapping of their gigantic, leathery wings tends to alert prey. For this reason they generally prefer to hunt on the ground as it involves more cunning sneakiness.

Gyrate
02-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I can't believe no one has suggested "sharks with freakin' lasers" yet. Or at least mutated sea bass.

But in reality, I'd go for some sort of nasty breed of ants.

Lemur866
02-26-2010, 12:50 PM
If you want the skeletons more or less intact, and have a pretty limited budget, it's hard to go wrong with good old Rattus norvegicus. Being eaten alive by a swarm of thousands of rats is pretty gruesome. And you don't have to deal with specialized breeding as you would for some of these exotic insects. Rats will thrive in any old pit, as long as you toss them enough food.

BestWifeEver
02-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Vote for Ranchoth in any upcoming elections. Don't go near any trapdoors...

Nunzio Tavulari
02-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Insects may be efficient but they are so lacking in drama.

Death pit construction is a specialized field and completely unionized, no illegals. If someone is willing to go to this expense then I'm guessing that they'll want to view the spectacle once in a while, or at least listen for anguished screams.

You need big carnivores for excitement. Tigers. Grizzly bears. I'm partial to wolves myself, the struggle lasts a bit longer. Toss a few carrion birds in the pit as well. They'll do cleanup and won't bother the executioner.

In addition, insects are good climbers, can squeeze through narrow gaps and can conceal themselves in the hired helps clothing when they retrieve the bones. You just know that some will find their way out of the pit and into your sleeping quarters. A slave with a grudge could sneak a few screw worms under the sheets without you noticing, but most would recognize if there was a cougar under the comforter.

As for the million gallon salt-water tank, be creative! There's no reason why you can't construct your evil liar with a nice ocean view and a chute leading a large shark cage constructed at cliffside. Naturally, the sharks would be _inside_ this particular enclosure.

All in all, I'm against the idea of the animal pit. Auxiliary feedings, cleanup, veterinary bills, it's too much bother. I prefer the simple Goldfinger device. A flat table with restraints and a top mounted laser.

santiago42
02-27-2010, 04:55 PM
If you're worried about your victims brushing off or smacking insects, just slide an ice pick through one of your victims vertebrae, just high enough up the spinal column to turn him (or her) into a quadriplegic before tossing him into the pit. Or, if feeling truly sadistic, place your victim upright in the pit so they can watch their bodies being consumed. Hours of fun for the whole family.

panache45
02-27-2010, 06:33 PM
If I were the intended victim, nothing would revolt me more than a moat filled with maggots. Just the thought of it almost kills me.

njtt
02-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Dopers! (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5) :D

jackdavinci
02-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Chihuanhas (http://io9.com/5474249/chihuanha-can-only-be-defeated-with-cheese-products/gallery/)

Jeu D'Esprit
02-28-2010, 07:41 AM
How is your palace powered? If it generates its own power, I suggest this steam powered column (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2665/can-high-pressure-steam-cut-a-body-in-half) as a useful suggestion.

If you drop the victim through some super heated jets, triggered when the trap door is open, you could strip off clothing and incapacitate or kill the victim. The pressure would be a little tricky to avoid shearing off body parts, but the reward would be great. You could have someone stripped, incapacitated and in excruciating pain on their way to dying while your choice of carrion eating insects or small animals start stripping the roasted flesh.

Great fun for kiddie parties and special video moments.

YMMV.

Tibby or Not Tibby
02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, if your pit could be some type of salt water mote, I’ll go with a school of bluefish (http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/marine/bluefish.shtml).They generally don’t abide by Emily Post’s accepted rules of table etiquette, while feeding.

Tibby or Not Tibby
03-01-2010, 04:43 AM
On further reflection, I believe if the goal is to skeletonize a man as quickly, horribly and non-destructively as possible, we’re going to have to throw out some of the OP’s constraining conditions and go with a circus-type Three Ring Show…

1: Draw Blood in the Bengal Tiger Pit (the pit of despair): The tiger is obviously too big and indelicate a predator to strip meat from bone with any sort of precise detail work. However, with proper depth control, his claws make very good “scalpels”, able to quickly and flashily incise skin down through the subcutaneous layer—deep enough to get the blood flowing, but not disturb the skeleton. So you put a particularly ornery tiger in a cage, with the hapless victim room on the other side of the bars. Of course you’ve done precise measurements of the hapless victim’s maximum depth at the chest and the tiger’s maximum reach from between bars to claw-tip, then adjusted the distance from bars to back wall in such a manner as to assure claw incision depth that is not too shallow; not too deep…but just right. You drop your hapless victim into the pit while the tiger is sleeping, then pull his tail—hard. As soon as the agitated feline opens his eyes, you point to the hapless victim and shrug—he’ll be bleeding profusely in no time (and, as we know, bleeding meat makes good chum). Then a trap door drops our disheartened hapless victim into the moat of misery…

2: Skeletonization in the Bluefish Moat: I haven’t found any reliable reports of either piranha or bluefish skeletonizing a live person, but given the significantly greater maximum size (~39-inches vs. 10-inches), I’ll put my money on the Chopper blues—a shoal of which, in a feeding frenzy, should be more than up to the task of removing meat from bone quickly and efficiently. But, the hapless victim's length of immersion may need to be timed with care. I’m guessing that after the muscle, fascia and viscera are ingested, our voracious ichthyo-friends may continue on to nibbling at the cartilage, and a disarticulated skeleton is not in line with the OP’s request for an “intact” skeleton. So we meat-hook our considerably lighter hapless victim out of the moat at just the right time—non-disarticulated skeleton, mostly bone, but some bits and pieces of soft tissue hanging here and there or encased within the cranium—then drop him into the bowl of woe…

3) Detail Work in the Dermestid Beetle Bowl: …because, when you want a nice forensically clean skeleton after the grisly wet work on a hapless victim is done, you always recruit your team of Dermestid Beetle larvae to do the job right.

ajdebosco
03-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Hagfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagfish).

I don't know about rapid skeletonization but they'll get the job done - even on whales - given enough time. In the meantime, they're burrowing under your skin to get at the best parts, all while producing gallons of slimy mucus. (Yes, gallons. If you've ever held a hagfish, you know that they can produce orders of magnitude more mucus than you could possibly imagine.)

Having worked the slime line aboard a seagoing commercial fish factory, I can personally attest to the workings of hagfish. Every few hours some poor soul would gut a fish to find nothing but skeleton, skin, and slime eels aka. hagfish. The whole line would pause while one or more of us would pound the mucus out of the sickening parasite, and pray it didn't get it's ugly head near us.:eek: They can, and do, devour fish that are easily the weight of a man in short order, and have the ability to enter through orafices as well as bore clean through tough skin and scales.

www.answers.com/topic/hagfish

The Scrivener
03-02-2010, 07:23 PM
As a Pit of Doom design consultant, I'd counsel my esteemed client to chuck out the staid playbook of outdated PoD protocols and think outside the box. With only a modest augmentation of his already capital-criminal designs, he could enjoy the freedom that a virtually no-holds-bound exploitation of the animal kingdom can offer...

Namely, by adding a prison cell to his abbattoir to accomodate the permanent presence of an anatomist -- the original profession doesn't much matter; any reasonably intelligent person will do, provided you supply him with an anatomy chart or two -- and let your creative juices flow! Your desperate skeleton-reassembling slave will be responsible for retrieving the likely scattered and partially mauled bones, cleaning them, restoring their structural integrity, and ordering them in fully-jointed and wired assemblies.

My altogether reasonable fee is $5,600 per da... [aaaiieeeee!!!]