PDA

View Full Version : Would pigs eat a human being?

Pushkin
02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
And if so, under what circumstances?

I understand that wild boars can be vicious animals, from documentaries and anecdotes. But the idea that they might eat a human being comes only from film (that Hannibal Lecter film, Rambo etc) and of course Deadwood on TV.

This (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2006/11/29/pigs-eat-kids/) and other accounts of the same attack suggest they would, but I can't seem to find any other mention of such attacks.

Would they? Do they eat other animals in the wild? Is it just a one off event courtesy of some very hungry pigs? Forgive me if my Google-fu is weak, but that was all I found.

Johnny L.A.
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
There's an old saying: Never sleep in a pig pen.

There's a reason for the saying.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2006/11/29/pigs-eat-kids/
In a man-eats-pig world, the pigs are now eating man. The Hindustan Times reported today that a three-year-old boy named Ajay in Delhi, India was recently eaten alive by a herd of domestic pigs. If you have a weak stomach for gore, don’t read this nugget we pulled from the story:

“Ajay’s skull, eyes, face and torso had been ripped open and eaten. Only his limbs could be recovered.”

Johnny L.A.
02-28-2010, 06:00 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6195860.stm
Delhi boy eaten by herd of pigs

A three-year-old boy has been eaten alive by a neighbour's herd of pigs on the outskirts of the Indian capital, Delhi, police say.

astro
02-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Falling into a pig pen and being eaten happened often enough in rural America that it was considered a considerable hazard in raising hogs, expecially as hog breeds got bigger and bigger. About 15 years ago I watched a herd of large 200-400 lb hogs being fed a pickup truck load of dead chickens that had been removed from a chicken house. The ferocity with which they went after those chickens left me no doubt of my fate if I fell into a group of them.

UncleFred
02-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Famous quote, slightly edited...

You're always going to have trouble lifting the body in one piece. Apparently, the best thing to do is cut up the body in to 6 pieces and pile them all together. When you got your 6 pieces, you gotta get rid of them cause its no good leaving it in the freezer for your mum to find now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is to feed them to pigs. You gotta starve the pigs for a few days. You gotta shave the heads of the victims and pull the teeth out for sake of the piggies' digestion. You can do this afterwards of course, but you don't want to go sifting through pig crap now do you?

They will go through bone like butter. You need at least 16 pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about 8 minutes. That means that a single pig can consumes 2 pounds of uncooked flesh per minute. Hence the expression 'As greedy as a pig'.

KarlGauss
02-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Famous quote, slightly edited...Originally by Robert Pickton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton)? Am I right?

Ike Witt
02-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally by Robert Pickton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton)? Am I right?

Pickton was the first person who came to my mind as well.

Electronic Chaos
02-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally by Robert Pickton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton)? Am I right?

Bricktop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HAQ3pNHwj4) from Snatch.

UncleFred
02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Bricktop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HAQ3pNHwj4) from Snatch.

Correct!

KarlGauss
02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Ah, I would never have guessed. I seldom go to see foreign-language films.

Blake
03-01-2010, 02:11 AM
But the idea that they might eat a human being comes only from film (that Hannibal Lecter film, Rambo etc) and of course Deadwood on TV.

Only? There have been accounts of pigs eating humans for millennia. In recent times there are numerous accounts of pigs eating humans. In Australia it's expected that if a corpse is left in a remote area then it will be disturbed by pigs. So it's a bit of a stretch to say that the idea only comes from film.

Lobohan
03-01-2010, 02:26 AM
This is a little on the grizzly side, but this is a video of a pig eating a dead body:

http: //www.apacheclips.com/media/8198/Croatian_soldier_shoots_pig/

NSFW and sad.

penultima thule
03-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Do they eat other animals in the wild?
Pigs are omnivous, opportunist feeders.

They aren't particularly quick and don't have much stamina. But in the Australian rangelands of particularly in NSW around the Darling River, feral pigs would probably outrank wild dogs as the largest predators of sheep, particularly young lambs and frail older sheep.

smiling bandit
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM

They aren't particularly quick and don't have much stamina. But in the Australian rangelands of particularly in NSW around the Darling River, feral pigs would probably outrank wild dogs as the largest predators of sheep, particularly young lambs and frail older sheep.

Pigs are actually a lot like humans in that sense. If it's reasonably fresh, we can and probably will eat it.

hellpaso
03-01-2010, 09:55 AM
A paternal relative of mine was eaten by pigs (at least partially). This was in the 40s, and the story was that he was feeding the pigs and had a heart attack or some such debilitating event. It was a short time before he was discovered.

The Great Sun Jester
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
If we taste anything like they do (and as I understand it humans are considered "long pig" by those who indulge), who can blame them? mmmmm...bacon (http://snagwiremedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/kevinbacon.jpg).

Tamerlane
03-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Indeed.

As a predator, feral swine eat salamanders, frogs, fish, crabs, snakes, turtles, rodents, muskrats, eggs and chicks of ground-nesting birds, white-tailed deer fawns, and livestock. In Florida, feral swine have contributed to the decline of at least 22 plant species and 4 species of amphibians listed as rare, threatened, endangered, or of special concern (USDA 2002). In the southern United States, feral swine predation may negatively affect bobwhite quail and wild turkey nest success. On some southeastern United States beaches, feral swine have become significant predators of threatened and endangered marine turtles (loggerhead, green, leatherback, hawksbill, and Kemp's ridley) feeding on the eggs (USDA 2002).

From here (http://lib.colostate.edu/research/agnic/invspecies/pigs.html).

Umbriel2
03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I suspect that pigs' man-eating habits, and the tendency of crustaceans to consume corpses in the ocean, are among the reasons both ended up on the non-kosher list.

'course, I guess there are technically no such prohibitions on vultures and jackals, so there are some gaps there... but it's my theory, which belongs to me!

Gagundathar
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I suspect that pigs' man-eating habits, and the tendency of crustaceans to consume corpses in the ocean, are among the reasons both ended up on the non-kosher list.

'course, I guess there are technically no such prohibitions on vultures and jackals, so there are some gaps there... but it's my theory, which belongs to me!

I have never heard this before, but it certainly makes sense.
I remember something about how raw pork carrying trichinosis was the reason for the proscription against pork, but your hypothesis makes a great deal more sense to me, especially when combined with the prohibition against shellfish.

msmith537
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Correct!

Wow! That's a great load off me mind. Now, if you wouldn't mind telling me who the fuck you are, apart from someone who feeds people to pigs of course!

Snowboarder Bo
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Thank you, Miss Elk. Do you have any other theories?

Leo Bloom
03-01-2010, 05:16 PM
<snip>... but it's my theory, which belongs to me!
But what's your theory on Brontosauruses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYDiPizDIs)?

Leo Bloom
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
:smack: Just saw someone beat me to it.

Blake
03-01-2010, 05:34 PM

There are prohibitions on both jackals and vultures. Jackals don't cloven hooves, so they are non-kosher. The vulture, along with all the other raptors, is unclean.

.... but your hypothesis makes a great deal more sense to me, especially when combined with the prohibition against shellfish.

Except that there is no prohibition against shellfish per se. There is a prohibition against all sea life that lacks scales and fins. While that includes shellfish it also includes eels, porpoises and jellyfish amongst many others.

At the end of the day trying to find reasons for the Jewish dietary laws is silly. there is no logic to them. The law allows people to eat notorious scavengers such as carp, while they are unable to eat perfectly clean, non scavenging animals such as dolphins clams. It excludes pigs as food, but it equally excludes horses and camels, which are not noted for their scavenging habits.

There's no sense in the laws. It's just a a case of God said it so you're supposed to do it. Logic does not apply.

Sapo
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM

I very much doubt that Abraham (or Moses or whoever it was) was very fluent on the dietary habits of crustaceans.

UncleFred
03-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Wow! That's a great load off me mind. Now, if you wouldn't mind telling me who the fuck you are, apart from someone who feeds people to pigs of course!

Do you know what "nemesis" means?

(I love that movie, I really do.)

FordTaurusSHO94
03-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Do you know what "nemesis" means?

(I love that movie, I really do.)

It means you have a younger clone on a another starship that wants to kill you and your planet. :p

My family has had hogs for the past few years for my brother's FFA stuff. They're friendly and like people, but I wouldn't want to get in between them and their corn when it's time to eat. We now have a pot bellied pig. It's a lot smaller, but it's still very aggressive when it's time to eat. I don't put my fingers near her mouth.

TruCelt
03-01-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know how anybody who grew up in a reasonably Westernized home could possibly not know that pigs can eat a person. I learned this by the age of four, from this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iErRYP1CXzo&feature=related) [go to 2:45].

Shmendrik
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
There's no sense in the laws. It's just a a case of God said it so you're supposed to do it. Logic does not apply.

That's begging the question. If the laws are made by man, a society decided at some point that some animals were clean and some aren't, and gave it the force of a divine command. The question is why they chose some and not others. This is a matter of much discussion amongst anthropologists and can't be glibly dismissed as illogical.

Anne Elk
03-02-2010, 03:45 AM
But what's your theory on Brontosauruses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYDiPizDIs)?

As a matter of fact I do.

They are not at all like pigs:)

And to Umbriel2, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Spoke
03-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Well we have plenty of examples of hogs eating dead humans. (A common wartime event from all accounts.) And at least one example of a small child being killed and eaten.

Do we have any examples of a live, healthy adult being attacked and eaten by domesticated hogs? I have never heard of such, and based on my own experience with hogs I would be surprised to learn of any such event.

md2000
03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
There is a prohibition against all sea life that lacks scales and fins. While that includes shellfish it also includes eels, porpoises and jellyfish amongst many others.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

You can tell the quote is not from Robert Pickton. In the end, he was convicted on the fact that they found evidence of the women he had fed to pigs. Apparently, the BC government hired almost every archaeology student they could find for a year. Their job was to sift through a mountain of pig manure, looking for teeth. ("Four years of college for this?")

Apparently the pigs ate like... well... pigs, and didn't chew hard enough to destroy the evidence. They found DNA in enough teeth to convict him of over a dozen specific murders, although testimony suggests the number of victims fed to the hogs was around 50.

--

If you ever saw the movie "A Private Function" the illegal pig being raised by the villagers was fed anything and everything, from dead rats to toenail clippings. Just don't feed you housepet pig rhubarb! (Unless you have a grandmother to blame the smell on...)

fuzzypickles
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
“Ajay’s skull, eyes, face and torso had been ripped open and eaten. Only his limbs could be recovered.”
Wow, that is sad. Everyone knows that drumsticks and wings are the best part!

EdwardLost
03-02-2010, 02:31 PM
A paternal relative of mine was eaten by pigs (at least partially). This was in the 40s, and the story was that he was feeding the pigs and had a heart attack or some such debilitating event. It was a short time before he was discovered.

What did they do with the pigs? Kill them, sell them, or eat them?

CalMeacham
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Hmm. I guess Dorothy was lucky that the hired hands were standing by when she fell off the rail into the pig pen. Or else the 1939 Wizard of Oz would've been only about 5 minutes long.

Miss Gulch: I'm here to see Dorothy about that dog of hers

Auntie Em: Dorothy's gone!

Leo Bloom
03-02-2010, 11:19 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels!

You can tell the quote is not from Robert Pickton. <snip basically everything else pertinent in the quote>

So is mine, and I have a question for you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0CFCf7An2Q), because my nipples are exploding!

Leo Bloom
03-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Feeding a pig a person would seriously damage its growth, according to Whiffle's On the Care of the Pig.

Carptracker
03-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Someone said that pigs are not particularly fast. I beg to differ, at least over the very short distance. I once watched my sow (which I was already justifiably terrified of) catch and devour my cousin's grandmother's large tabby cat. That pig moved VERY fast. I was glad when that pig was bacon.

Notassmartasithought
03-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Just read enough Matt Scudder novels by Lawrence Block, and you'll be rewarded with the answer, and much, much more.

Spoke
03-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Just read enough Matt Scudder novels by Lawrence Block, and you'll be rewarded with the answer, and much, much more.

I just highlighted a key word there. ;)

Tethered Kite
03-13-2010, 09:38 PM
I remember as a child being told by my mother of a loose hog which bit off the arm of a young girl as she waited for the school bus. Cautionary tale. Twisted, no? Pig's tail!

Spoke
03-13-2010, 09:49 PM
So far, I still don't see any first-hand accounts of pigs attacking and eating a healthy adult.

Tamerlane
03-13-2010, 10:28 PM
So far, I still don't see any first-hand accounts of pigs attacking and eating a healthy adult.

I don't expect you would. Pigs are not generally predators of large, mobile animals. For the most part they take things easy to catch. Weak and injured adult animals sometimes, but usually things like white-tailed deer fawns that instinctively freeze to avoid predators and thus are easy prey for feral hogs who don't rely much on sight anyway.

Spoke
03-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't expect you would. Pigs are not generally predators of large, mobile animals. For the most part they take things easy to catch. Weak and injured adult animals sometimes, but usually things like white-tailed deer fawns that instinctively freeze to avoid predators and thus are easy prey for feral hogs who don't rely much on sight anyway.

Hogs can easily outrun a human. So humans would fall into the "easy to catch" category.

But in general I agree with you. Hogs are more scavengers than predators. Which is why I think literary tales of hogs eating humans are just so much bollocks.

Still, I am trying to keep an open mind. If anyone has an account of hogs attacking and eating a healthy adult, I would be curious to see it.

Tethered Kite
03-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Well, growing up in farm country and hearing many tales of how dangerous hogs can be to humans it's never crossed my mind that people would be exagerrating the possibility of a hog killing and eating at least part of a human. Hogs will eat just about anything if they are hungry.

I do know personally of people who have been cornered by an angry hog and needed to be rescued by others who were fortunately there. Their teeth are sharp and their bite is strong.

But your reasonable skeptisicm, Spike, sent me in search of evidence and it appears to be scarce. I did find this one account from the NY Times dated May 27, 1884 about a man in Philadephia who was attacked and killed by a hog who tore open his stomach before he was stopped by others. It would be reasonable to assume the hog would have continued to eat if he had been given the opportunity. A bite to the stomach would be consistent with a scavenger setting about to eat, as opposed to a predator aiming to kill (first) which would probably go for the throat.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9B07E5D7173FE533A25754C2A9639C94659FD

It does strike me as odd that I can't find more cases of farm accidents. Nowadays a man is more likely to be killed by falling in the poisonous lagoon of hawg poopie.

Modern farming ain't for sissies either.

Tethered Kite
03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
My apologies. It appears the link won't work. But I found the article by Googling "man killed by hog."

Tethered Kite
03-13-2010, 11:57 PM
It appears that the link above is innoperative. I found the article by Googling "man killed by hog."

I have found another account of a man who was stabbed being eaten by hogs during John Brown's raid at Harper's Ferry:
http://wesclark.com/jw/newby.html

Tamerlane
03-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Hogs can easily outrun a human. So humans would fall into the "easy to catch" category.

Probably not. Pigs aren't that speedy, relatively speaking. Wild boars seem to able to do burst speeds of ~15 mph, whereas humans ( Olympic-caliber sprinters, mind you ) have broken 26 mph. And of course over distance there is no contest. Very, very few animals can outrun a well-conditioned human in an endurance contest.

Which is why I think literary tales of hogs eating humans are just so much bollocks.

Depends on the tale. Hog eats guy who falls into pig pen and is knocked out, I'd readily accept. Hog guts idiot that came between wild sow and piglets, sure. Hog attacks and eats trapped man with broken leg - unlikely, but remotely possible.

But hog stalks and ambushes/runs down adult person? Yeah, I'd be suspicious.

Tethered Kite
03-14-2010, 12:28 AM
And if so, under what circumstances?

So the answer to the question would probably be: under the circumstances of hunger and opportunity. Just as a pet cat or dog or fellow human may make a meal out of a human being, as distasteful as that may be to acknowledge.

Spoke
03-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Probably not. Pigs aren't that speedy, relatively speaking. Wild boars seem to able to do burst speeds of ~15 mph, whereas humans ( Olympic-caliber sprinters, mind you ) have broken 26 mph. And of course over distance there is no contest. Very, very few animals can outrun a well-conditioned human in an endurance contest.

Wild boars can run 30 mph. (And that is not even an Olympic sprinter boar!) Cite (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/PUBL/wlnotebook/Pig.htm).

Tethered Kite, I grew up on a farm myself, and spend a great part of my childhood roaming around a barnyard full of hogs. They never bothered me at all, and the only warning I ever got was not to pick up a piglet (as its squeal would bring its mother running in a fury).

Nothing in my experience would support the idea of hogs as a serious threat to humans in ordinary circumstances. (Indeed, the biggest threat from our hogs was that they would lean so hard against you in hopes that you would scratch their ears that they might knock you over.) But I remain open to being proven wrong.

Spoke
03-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I have found another account of a man who was stabbed being eaten by hogs during John Brown's raid at Harper's Ferry:
http://wesclark.com/jw/newby.html

He was already dead when the hogs ate him, though. There is no doubt that hogs will consume a human corpse. It has happened frequently in wartime. (Most notoriously perhaps at the battle of Shiloh, during the night between the first and second days of the battle.)

Tamerlane
03-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Wild boars can run 30 mph. (And that is not even an Olympic sprinter boar!) Cite (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/PUBL/wlnotebook/Pig.htm).

Better one than mine - I concede the point, at least in terms of a short sprint :).

But I still wouldn't consider humans to fall under the rubric of "easy prey" as I was thinking of the term. I've never read that feral hogs typically hunt by running down large animals.

Spoke
03-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I've never read that feral hogs typically hunt by running down large animals.

I agree. They don't. My point was simply that if they had any inclination to kill humans, they could do so without difficulty. They don't have the inclination. :)

mufatango
03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Peccaries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary) will run down a hunter, tusk his/her legs until crippled and then kill and partially devour them. (Source = numerous personal anecdotes from tribes in Southeastern Peru)

Spoke
03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Peccaries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary) will run down a hunter, tusk his/her legs until crippled and then kill and partially devour them. (Source = numerous personal anecdotes from tribes in Southeastern Peru)

Think about that story for a minute. How would anyone know what occurred? Did other hunters witness it? If so, were they just standing around while the peccary attacked, killed and ate their friend? Stains credibility doesn't it?

The alternative is that they didn't actually witness such a thing, but perhaps found a hunter's corpse that had been mutilated by a peccary. The rest of the story would be speculation.

Second-or-third-hand anecdotes don't persuade me. Until I see documented cases, this strikes me as just another urban legend (or in this case, rain forest legend).

What I might believe (if documented) is that a peccary attacked a hunter who had cornered it, and that the hunter, fatally wounded by the attack, might have made a meal of convenience for the peccary. But a peccary going out of its way to seek human prey? I don't buy that for a minute.

mufatango
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Perhaps the image of a crazed vengeance-bent man-eating peccary is a bit strong, and you are correct that the stories mostly referred to found bodies, but I have seen many hunters with scarred shins and calves and heard them relate how they got the wounds and what they had seen happen to other hunters.
Your second scenario is much more in keeping with those anecdotes, namely that the hunters would be "funneling" the peccary(ies) and either someone would get in front of it by accident or it would turn and charge at someone, who would then run like hell for the nearest tree. As noted above, peccaries are fast. Two Machiguenga related eyewitness accounts to me of a cousin who had been run down and tusked repeatedly by a group of peccaries (first in the legs, then after falling in the head and torso) and then later died "tired" presumably from blood loss and/or infection. The idea of hunters "standing around" is not very applicable, since the hunts usually take place while sprinting through dense understory for prolonged periods.