PDA

View Full Version : Muammar Gaddafi's female bodyguards

Lumpy
02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Do they sleep with him or not? One the one hand an all-female corp of bodyguards is unusual like something out of fiction. Are they his harem, some bizarre whim of Gaddafi's or a weird publicity stunt? On the other hand Gaddafi badly needs effective bodyguards- loyal bodyguards. Beautiful bimbos are not going to keep him from getting gunned down, and officially they're supposed to be virgins. So just what dynamic is going on here? Sex, unfullfilled sexual tension, or a professional role otherwise rare for women in an Arabic country? Why does Gaddafi consider them more trustworthy than male guards?

Kimstu
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Go to NYC this Friday and ask the woman who made the movie about them (http://memeac.gc.cuny.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76:shadows-of-a-leader-qaddafis-female-bodyguards-q-a-a-with-filmmaker-rania-ajam&catid=51:upcoming-events&Itemid=83).

MrDibble
03-01-2010, 12:20 AM
As I understand it, it's mostly an image thing, he's not reliably rumoured to be sleeping with all of them.

Maybe he's a God Emperor of Dune fan?

Marley23
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Moving to General Questions from Great Debates to see if the OP can some factual answers here.

FriarTed
03-01-2010, 02:29 AM
As I understand it, it's mostly an image thing, he's not reliably rumoured to be sleeping with all of them.

Why would that not surprise me?

smiling bandit
03-01-2010, 10:43 AM

But is he sleeping with *some* of them? :D

(Please... feed my fantasties of being a powerful ruler surrounded by my dozens of devoted, sexy bodyguards willing to cater to my every petulant whim.)

Simplicio
03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
The revolution in Libya had a pretty strong feminist bent, and one of Gaddafi's projects has been to try and get woman serving in the military to try and integrate them in society and combat the more traditional Islamic and Bedouin views of females that were previously prevalent in the country. Having a highly visable all-female force in charge of his personal safety is part of that effort.

The fact that it's just one more thing that makes him come across like a Bond villian is presumably an unintended side effect.

Little Nemo
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
The fact that it's just one more thing that makes him come across like a Bond villian is presumably an unintended side effect.It was that or live inside a volcano. And people just don't appreciate the effort it takes to build an island lair in the middle of the desert.

dracoi
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
It was that or live inside a volcano. And people just don't appreciate the effort it takes to build an island lair in the middle of the desert.

Especially when you ALSO insist on living in a tent. Lava and canvas don't mix well. :)

I don't have a GQ answer to the original question, but I think a lot of what he does is simply for attention. It's hard for a foreign leader to both make headlines in the US and avoid being bombed.

Lumpy
12-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Zombie thread revived to ask: so where were Gaddafi's bodyguards when he was overthrown and killed? What's happened to them?

Leo Bloom
12-20-2011, 09:50 PM

(Please... feed my fantasties of being a powerful ruler surrounded by my dozens of devoted, sexy bodyguards willing to cater to my every petulant whim.)
Ask your wife or girlfriend, or if you come up empty on those, my advice is to keep away from GQers.

Then it could get weird...

BMax
12-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Good question. What I'm wondering is: With Kim Jung Il and Muammar Khadaffi now dead, are there any James-Bond-villain-type heads of state left on earth? Or are they all boring old men and women?

coremelt
12-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Zombie thread revived to ask: so where were Gaddafi's bodyguards when he was overthrown and killed? What's happened to them?

It's hard to hide inconspicuously while traveling with a troupe of amazonian assassin bodyguards ;)

astro
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
If the weaponized women are serious about choosing the bodyguard lifestyle I kind of doubt they are bringing the sexy. I also wouldn't be betting any sizeable sums that they are particularly or exclusively interested in men.

Rigamarole
12-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Zombie thread revived to ask: so where were Gaddafi's bodyguards when he was overthrown and killed?

Probably at the salon getting mani/pedis.

Little Nemo
12-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Good question. What I'm wondering is: With Kim Jung Il and Muammar Khadaffi now dead, are there any James-Bond-villain-type heads of state left on earth? Or are they all boring old men and women?You've got Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe and Yahya Jammeh in Gambia. They're both pretty crazy.

Leo Bloom
12-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Of course, The Great Successer. Although I don't think he's hit puberty yet.

bardos
12-21-2011, 02:13 AM
I forget my internet sources, but I remember reading (post-Ghadaffi) one interview with a former Ukranian bodyguard-nurse who said it was all platonic. Then I read another account in which a woman talked of sexual abuse, but I think she was not a bodyguard and may have been one of those random Oday Hussain type street kidnappings for Ghadaffi.

AK84
12-21-2011, 03:39 AM
I forget my internet sources, but I remember reading (post-Ghadaffi) one interview with a former Ukranian bodyguard-nurse who said it was all platonic. Then I read another account in which a woman talked of sexual abuse, but I think she was not a bodyguard and may have been one of those random Oday Hussain type street kidnappings for Ghadaffi.

I have to say that I have heard little about Gadaffi being errrr a sexual athlete like your hear with others. Not saying he was not, just saying that it was not really broadcast.

clairobscur
12-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Then I read another account in which a woman talked of sexual abuse, but I think she was not a bodyguard and may have been one of those random Oday Hussain type street kidnappings for Ghadaffi.

If it was the same case I heard about, she wasn't a bodyguard, but on the other hand, the actual bodyguards were the ones in charge of preparing her (for instance teaching her how to dance, providing sexy lingerie, etc...), telling her what she was supposed to do, watching over her, etc...

bardos
12-21-2011, 05:21 AM
If it was the same case I heard about, she wasn't a bodyguard, but on the other hand, the actual bodyguards were the ones in charge of preparing her (for instance teaching her how to dance, providing sexy lingerie, etc...), telling her what she was supposed to do, watching over her, etc...

That's the one I was reading, yes. Hey, absolute power corrupts absolutely is not just a catch-phrase. Now take this out to the limits for any ordinary man.

To my subjective way of thinking, it would be extremely weird to learn that an absolute dictator (masculine variety) did *not* abuse his rank to obtain sexual pleasure and live a non-monogamous lifestyle.

Walther Ego
12-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Raping a bodyguard sounds extremely unwise.

Apollo
12-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Gaddafi’s Female Bodyguards Found Murdered (http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/pictures/gaddafi-female-bodyguards-found-murdered-chinese-reactions.html)
NSFW pictures

jovan
12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
I read an article in Le Monde about a woman who claims she ran away from his harem. According to her, he would disguise his sex slaves as bodyguards when he was traveling out of the country. There were given very basic weapon training so that they would not look like complete fools, but they were not expected to do any protection. The real bodyguards wore different uniforms. The article is pretty harrowing. Unfortunately, it looks like it's been moved behind a paywall: Esclave sexuelle de Kadhafi (http://www.lemonde.fr/cgi-bin/ACHATS/acheter.cgi?offre=ARCHIVES&type_item=ART_ARCH_30J&objet_id=1173969)

cmkeller
12-21-2011, 09:57 AM
BMax:

What I'm wondering is: With Kim Jung Il and Muammar Khadaffi now dead, are there any James-Bond-villain-type heads of state left on earth? Or are they all boring old men and women?

We've still got Iran's Mahmoud Ahmedinejad.

Simplicio
12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
We've still got Iran's Mahmoud Ahmedinejad.

Does he have any Bond-villain level eccentricities? I don't think not wearing a tie really counts.

Teacake
12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Beautiful bimbos

I also wouldn't be betting any sizeable sums that they are particularly or exclusively interested in men.

Nice. If they're good-looking, they must be stupid sex objects. If they're actually bodyguards, they must be lesbians. Fighting ignorance indeed.

BigT
12-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Nice. If they're good-looking, they must be stupid sex objects. If they're actually bodyguards, they must be lesbians. Fighting ignorance indeed.

The latter perhaps not, but the former does make it pretty difficult to be effective at such a career, if you go by the usual western standards that small is beautiful. I know I'd rather have some pretty hefty guards.

cmkeller
12-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Simplico:

Does he have any Bond-villain level eccentricities?

A disconnection from reality and seeking nuclear weapons are no longer enough?

dropzone
12-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Not since "Thunderball."

joebuck20
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Good question. What I'm wondering is: With Kim Jung Il and Muammar Khadaffi now dead, are there any James-Bond-villain-type heads of state left on earth? Or are they all boring old men and women?

Perhaps Vladimir Putin, who in these pictures (http://www.funnyordie.com/slideshows/7df05c1f10/pictures-of-vladimir-putin-looking-like-a-complete-badass) looks like he's trying to give the Most Interesting Man in the World a run for his money.

t-bonham@scc.net
12-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Throughout history, a large number of rulers have been assassinated/overthrown by coups led by the men in their bodyguards or trusted assistants. Perhaps Gadaffi thought this was less likely with an all-female group? Especially likely to seem logical to someone from a somewhat sexist society.

Lust4Life
12-23-2011, 12:36 PM
I read an article in Le Monde about a woman who claims she ran away from his harem. According to her, he would disguise his sex slaves as bodyguards when he was traveling out of the country. There were given very basic weapon training so that they would not look like complete fools, but they were not expected to do any protection. The real bodyguards wore different uniforms. The article is pretty harrowing. Unfortunately, it looks like it's been moved behind a paywall: Esclave sexuelle de Kadhafi (http://www.lemonde.fr/cgi-bin/ACHATS/acheter.cgi?offre=ARCHIVES&type_item=ART_ARCH_30J&objet_id=1173969)

I have no cite, but I would not be stunned with surprise if the article was totally accurate.

Elendil's Heir
12-23-2011, 05:21 PM
...To my subjective way of thinking, it would be extremely weird to learn that an absolute dictator (masculine variety) did *not* abuse his rank to obtain sexual pleasure and live a non-monogamous lifestyle.

From all I've read, Hitler, Lenin, Stalin and Pol Pot didn't. Mao, however, did.

merrick
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
The Google ads at the bottom of this thread are currently displaying:
"Pretty Women From Russia"
"Ship to Libya"
and something about life insurance. A little behind the times, but slightly creepy none the less.

Lumpy
01-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Zombie thread re-revived because even in death Gaddafi's Bond-villain antics keep surfacing, like old coffins out of a bog-soaked graveyard.

Gaddafi's Sex Dungeons Revealed (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545819/Uncovered-The-macabre-sex-chamber-Libyas-Colonel-Gaddafi-raped-girls-boys-young-14.html)

Diceman
01-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Raping a bodyguard sounds extremely unwise.
They say that several Roman emperors met their demise because they pissed off the Praetorian Guard. So yeah, you really want to stay on your bodyguards' good side.