PDA

View Full Version : Spanish-language medical translation question

Eva Luna
03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I speak (and read and write) Spanish, but this one is beyond me - I am trying to get permission from the Agency Formerly Known as INS for a client to visit his sick mother in Mexico. The letter I have from her doctor is that she has a number of medical problems, including that she "actualmente cursa con P.C.V. (Problema celular vascular)."

So I gather that it's some sort of circulatory system problem? but well, that's not exactly an idiomatic translation. Any translation assistance, or links to good online Spanish-English medical dictionaries, would be appreciated.

Nava
03-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Google doesn't find it with quote marks (yes, I know you already checked that). "Problema vascular" is a circulatory problem, yes, but I find PCV as meaning "patología cardiovascular," i.e., "illness(es) of the circulatory system affecting the heart."

Asking Doctor Sister In Law...

Nava
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Dr. SIL says the only other thing she can think of is "patología cerebrovascular," i.e., circulatory problems affecting the brain. *paging Mexican dopers*...

Eva Luna
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Well, I suppose it's possible that the doctor (whose writing in the rest of the letter isn't the most graceful) just spaced out on the full form of the abbreviation.