PDA

View Full Version : Unseen TV characters

astorian
01-17-2001, 11:47 PM
How many TV characters can you think of who were heard or discussed, but never actually seen? I can think of...

1) Carlton the doorman on "Rhoda"
2) Robin Masters on "Magnum PI"
3) John Beresford Tipton on "The Millionaire"
4) Charles Townsend on "Charlie's Angels"
5) Wilson, on "Home Improvement"

ANy others come to mind?

chique
01-17-2001, 11:48 PM
Norm's wife on Cheers.

AxeElf
01-17-2001, 11:48 PM
God, on countless televangelists' programs every Sunday morning.

SmackFu
01-17-2001, 11:57 PM
Orson, from "Mork & Mindy"

Wilson on Home Improvement is a special case, since only his face wasn't seen.

King Rat
01-18-2001, 12:00 AM
Maris from Frasier

aseymayo
01-18-2001, 12:28 AM
Mary Tyler Moore played a pair of legs on Richard Diamond, Private Detective (1959). Her character, Sam the answering service girl, was only seen from the waist down.

BobT
01-18-2001, 01:17 AM
There was a surgeon on "St. Elsewhere" who has only heard, but never seen and was widely disliked by the other characters.

peepthis
01-18-2001, 02:00 AM
Don't forget the greatest of them all!

The Gooch, Arnold's ever-present yet elusive tormentor from "Diff'rent Strokes".

Although, IIRC he actually -- and unfortunately -- did make an appearance in an episode in a later season.

peepthis
01-18-2001, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by peepthis
Although, IIRC he actually -- and unfortunately -- did make an appearance in an episode in a later season.

It seems the best fan site (http://www.sitcomsonline.com/diffrentstrokes.html) confirms my first suspicion, that The Gooch was never seen in all 8 seasons.

kawliga
01-18-2001, 02:29 AM
Sheridan, son of Hyacinth, on "Keeping Up Appearances."

barstow
01-18-2001, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by chique
Norm's wife on Cheers. Norm's wife actually appeared on the Thanksgiving feast at Carla's house. She was only shown from the rear until she got a faceful of mashed potatoes in the food fight.

barstow
01-18-2001, 03:10 AM
There's Vinnie on Just Shoot Me, who's Nina Van Horn's drinking buddy.

CnoteChris
01-18-2001, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by barstow
Norm's wife actually appeared on the Thanksgiving feast at Carla's house.[/B][/QUOTE]

You might also be interested to know that the woman who played his wife in that episode was also his wife in real life.

CnoteChris
01-18-2001, 06:35 AM
Ouch! That hurt.

AWB
01-18-2001, 07:11 AM
Corrections

Binnie, Nina's drinking buddy, on "Just Shoot Me", has appeared once, in episode The Mask (http://epguides.com/JustShootMe/guide.shtml#ep034)
Robin Masters was played by Orson Welles on "Magnum, P.I." from 1981 to 1985.
One I thought of, but dismissed: Dr. Selar on "Star Trek: The Next Generation". She was played by Suzie Plakson in one episode, "The Schizoid Man".

AWB
01-18-2001, 07:15 AM
Oops...

I thought Welles had appeared on-screen as Robin Masters. But according to an episode guide, he was only the voice. However, Magnum once mentioned that Masters looked like Orson Welles.

Guy Propski
01-18-2001, 07:49 AM
George Steinbrenner on "Seinfeld" (you only saw the back of his head).
Mammy Two-Shoes from the old "Tom and Jerry" cartoons. You only saw her feet. Okay, so it's not a TV show, but I saw it on TV.
Sparky, the radio operator friend of Radar, on "M*A*S*H."

SirRay
01-18-2001, 08:11 AM
Guy Propski:
For some reason, Sparky did appear briefly in one episode. IIRC, he was a slim guy (w/ glasses), with a 'farm-country' accent. He was reading a comic book when Radar called him (perhaps Radar had sent him the comic book, I don't remember).

BiblioCat
01-18-2001, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by AWB
Corrections

Binnie, Nina's drinking buddy, on "Just Shoot Me", has appeared once, in episode The Mask (http://epguides.com/JustShootMe/guide.shtml#ep034)

IIRC, wasn't she in bandages, having had a face lift? Or we only saw her from the back? I don't think we've ever actually seen her face.

Arken
01-18-2001, 08:51 AM
But there was another character on M*A*S*H you never saw... the guy on the P.A. system who announced incoming wounded.

frolix8
01-18-2001, 09:51 AM
And of course, Jaunita down at the diner, Barney Fife's girl (sometimes).

PRNYouth
01-18-2001, 10:03 AM
Ugly Naked Guy on "Friends"

Joe Mayo on "Seinfeld" (This character was repeatedly mentioned in a variety of contexts. I don't think he was ever shown, but I'm pretty sure he was named after someone on the crew of the show.)

Nanny on "Muppet Babies" :D Cheating - I know, since we see her fashionably-striped stockings, just never her face.

I know there are more -- just can't think of 'em.

Telemark
01-18-2001, 10:08 AM
How about Serge (?), Edwina's son from Ab Fab.

kid charlemagne
01-18-2001, 10:12 AM
Joe Mayo was seen at his apartment warming party, remember he had the same fur coat as David Puddy.

Anyway, sticking with Seinfeld. Kramer's two friends, Bob Sakimano and Lomez were never seen. Actually Lomez was probably in the bar when Kramer was telling his "real Peterman" stories but they never referred to him.

PRNYouth
01-18-2001, 10:33 AM
Sakimano!! THAT'S who I was thinking of -- thanks for the correction. Joe Mayo was indeed in that episode, and was portrayed by Pat Finn.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
01-18-2001, 10:41 AM
Starr Jones's neck.

Balance
01-18-2001, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Arken
But there was another character on M*A*S*H you never saw... the guy on the P.A. system who announced incoming wounded.

Didn't the skinny corpsman with the beaky face do the announcements? I always thought that was his voice.

Fiver
01-18-2001, 11:13 AM
MjollnirStar Jones's neck.

Star Jones has a neck?

Once we start talking about M*A*S*H there are many characters we learned a lot about but never saw:

Peg & Erin Hunnicutt
Honoria Winchester
Mrs. Blake
Mildred Potter
the elder Mr. Pierce
Mrs. O'Reilly and, err, her brother (wasn't Radar's uncle helping Radar's widowed mother with the farm?)?

And Arken, I'm glad you brought up the P.A. announcer...many people mistakenly think that was Radar, but of course, the voice continued even after Radar left the show.

Sigene
01-18-2001, 11:13 AM
Any adult on a Peanuts cartoon.

Zappo
01-18-2001, 11:15 AM
How about Peg's mother on "Married with Children?" She was unseen because the role was originally written for Divine, who passed away before (s)he was able to film an appearance on the show. Rather than get another actor the writers decided to leave the role unfilled and referred to her without showing her on camera.

Another good one is "Charlie" from "Charlie's Angels." While his voice (played by John Forsythe) was depicted as coming out of the phone speaker at the start and end of every episode, he was never seen on the show.

And since we're including BritComs in this thread, how about "Old Mr. Grace" from "Are You Being Served?" He was referred to on several occasions, usually when somebody was introduced to the doddering Young Mr. Grace:

Mr. Spooner: "THAT'S Young Mr. Grace?!?"
Mrs. Slocombe: "Yes. Old Mr. Grace doesn't get around very well any more."

Regards,

Zappo
who spends too damn much time in front of the television

Arken
01-18-2001, 11:47 AM
Wasn't Old Mr. Grace the original Mr. Grace and Young Mr. Grace replaced him later on in the series or am I imagining things?

Oh, and with the listing of all of the family on M*A*S*H you never saw, you can't forget Klinger's extended family (including sneaky Uncle Abdul) and his ex-wife.

Mildred Potter made an appearance as a regular on the unfortunate After-M*A*S*H.

In a reversal of this sort of thing, the WB network cartoon Freakazoid! actually *DID* show "faceless" announcer Joe Leahy on several occasions AND called him by name.

Oh, and I just thought of one other character... Jim Dial's wife on Murphy Brown.

Wow, I watch way too much TV.

cher3
01-18-2001, 12:01 PM
There was also Columbo's wife, if you don't count the "Mrs Columbo" series with Captain what's-her-name. And I don't.

Arken
01-18-2001, 12:08 PM
Just thought of a few more:

Ralph and Potzie's parents on 'Happy Days'

Antonio's weird girlfriends (Pencil Patty who lives under the bridge, the big-faced girl, etc.), Lowell's jock pals and Roy's drinking buddies on 'Wings'

Suzanne's voodoo maid Consuela on 'Designing Women'

That guy who hosted 'Remote Control' on MTV's mom (she always called him up from the basement at commercial time)

Not exactly a character, but...

Northern Exposure made frequent references to the town of Sleetmute, especially if something seedy was being discussed (e.g. "If you want a prostitute, you can go to Sleetmute!")

Steve Wright
01-18-2001, 12:18 PM
Quite a few British comedies have used this convention. Probably the best known (over here, and in my age group...) would be Captain Mainwaring's wife Elizabeth in "Dad's Army", and Arthur Daley's wife, "'Er Indoors" in "Minder".

IIRC, in "Are You Being Served?", Young Mr. Grace was the original proprietor, Old Mr. Grace put in an appearance in later seasons (I think the actor playing Young Mr. Grace either died or retired at some point). Come to think of it, the show included two other invisible characters, Mr Humphries' mother and (groan) Mrs. Slocombe's pussy...

I think. I am not an authority on "Are You Being Served?", I wish to make that absolutely clear.

lolagranola
01-18-2001, 12:29 PM

I'm sure that she was seen. Anyone else remember her?

urlnotfound
01-18-2001, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Balance

Didn't the skinny corpsman with the beaky face do the announcements? I always thought that was his voice.

I read somewhere that the voice for the P.A. system wasn't a single person at all. It was whoever was around to do it at the time.

Bad TV time. How about "Voice" on Cleopatara 2525?

BiblioCat
01-18-2001, 12:46 PM
Oh, and I just thought of one other character... Jim Dial's wife on Murphy Brown.

No, I know for sure we saw Jim's wife. (drawing a blank on her name...Doris?)
The reruns of "MB" are on Lifetime and I just saw one with her...she wanted to go out and get a job after years of being a housewife. I'm pretty sure she was in at least a couple of episodes.

Just thought of a few more:

Ralph and Potzie's parents on 'Happy Days'

Antonio's weird girlfriends (Pencil Patty who lives under the bridge, the big-faced girl, etc.), Lowell's jock pals and Roy's drinking buddies on 'Wings'

I'm quite sure we saw Ralph's father...he was an eye doctor, (right?) and Fonzie went to see him once. Didn't he and Ralph go to an opthamologist's convention once? He was a big practical joker? Wanted Ralph to be an eye doc, too?

Lowell's friends....I know we saw a couple of them once....he and Antonio went rat-shooting at the dump and we saw two of them....they liked Antonio better than Lowell because he shot better, so Antonio shot poorly the next time.

Suzanne's maid Consuela...I think we did see her at least once, but I'm not positive.

I watch way too much TV, too.

Colibri
01-18-2001, 12:51 PM

If we include recurring announcers, and going way back, there was the train announcer on the Jack Benny Show, voiced by Mel Blanc:

Train Announcer: Anaheim, Azusa, and Cuc-a-monga ..(Pause Between Cuc and A-monga)

Chronos
01-18-2001, 01:03 PM
Y'know, this is fun and all, but it's really better suited for IMHO. Catch, Veb!

Oh, and by the way, Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget (the animated show, not the live-action movie), and, of course, Cecil Adams, from the short-lived Straight Dope TV show.

Fiver
01-18-2001, 01:04 PM
Arken:Oh, and I just thought of one other character... Jim Dial's wife on Murphy Brown.

Not quite enough, apparently. Jim Dial's wife Doris appeared in many episodes from 1989-92. There was even an episode that focused on the two of them (she was leaving Jim because she felt unfulfilled, in a storyline perhaps deliberately derivative of the episode of Mary Tyler Moore where Lou Grant's wife left him for similar reasons).

urlnotfound: Pretty sure you're mainly mistaken re: the PA announcer; the voice was very distinctive, and IMDB only credits two voice actors (who were both uncredited in the show itself): Todd Susman and Sal Viscuso.

Todd Susman was the voice we all think of; he's the guy who sounded a little like Radar. He's not just a voice actor, either. He's one of those character actors who turns up in movies and guest roles on TV shows. His best known (to me) recent work was on Angel, as the wealthy father of a young woman who hired Angel to protect the daughter (but got Wesley instead).

Show_Biz
01-18-2001, 01:11 PM
Wan't the M*A*S*H announcer Gary Burghoff .... Corporal Walter Eugene "Radar" O'Reilly ?

I haven't seen the show in years, but I recall him in the movie stumbling over the movie announcements.

Yet, I suppose he can't be, because his famous nickname-making trademark was to say, "Choppers!" and Hawkeye would look around and say "I don't hear anything." "Wait for it." then the announcer, "Incoming!"

But the movie database DOES list Sal Viscuso .... P.A. Announcer (uncredited) (voice)

http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0066026 Movie
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0068098 TV show

Fiver
01-18-2001, 01:12 PM
Kinsey:I'm quite sure we saw Ralph's father...he was an eye doctor, (right?) and Fonzie went to see him once.
Yes! And he was played by the same guy who had played Howard Sprague on The Andy Griffith Show.

Hmm. I wonder if any other actors appeared on both The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days? Nahh, couldn't happen.

Zarathustra
01-18-2001, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by AWB
Oops...

I thought Welles had appeared on-screen as Robin Masters. But according to an episode guide, he was only the voice. However, Magnum once mentioned that Masters looked like Orson Welles.

Later on in the season, wasn't it implied that Higgins and Robin Masters were one and the same? In that case, Robin Masters was on screen for almost every episode . . .

Sauron
01-18-2001, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Five

Once we start talking about M*A*S*H there are many characters we learned a lot about but never saw:

Peg & Erin Hunnicutt
Honoria Winchester
Mrs. Blake
Mildred Potter
the elder Mr. Pierce
Mrs. O'Reilly and, err, her brother (wasn't Radar's uncle helping Radar's widowed mother with the farm?)?

Not to be a party-pooper, but we did see Peg Hunnicutt (and Erin, too, I believe) in one episode. BJ was upset about spending his anniversary away from home; Hawkeye pumped BJ for information on what BJ and Peg would do on their anniversary, secretly taping him. Hawkeye then sent the tape to Peg, and she made an 8mm film showing her getting all dolled up for their big anniversary date. After seeing the movie, Margaret offered to dance with BJ to "fill in" for Peg (since going dancing was one of the things BJ had anticipated with Peg).

We also saw Radar's mom and uncle this same way; his family sent a home movie to him in another episode. Radar's mom looked amazingly like Radar in drag. We also saw his dog, Ranger (?), and some other family members.

Mildred Pierce's photo resided on Colonel Potter's desk, so we did see her a few times.

Balance
01-18-2001, 01:17 PM
OK, I was wrong--according to the M*A*S*H FAQ (http://www.mash4077.co.uk/faq.html), the PA voices were supplied by Sal Viscuso and Todd Susman. The guy I thought did it was Jeff Maxwell, who played Igor Straminsky. Todd Susman did appear on-screen in at least one episode ("Operation Noselift") as Private Danny Baker, who wanted a nose job. I haven't seen any connection between that role and the PA guy role--he's listed as a guest star for that episode.

BiblioCat
01-18-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Five
Kinsey:I'm quite sure we saw Ralph's father...he was an eye doctor, (right?) and Fonzie went to see him once.
Yes! And he was played by the same guy who had played Howard Sprague on The Andy Griffith Show.

Yeah! That's him!

Hmm. I wonder if any other actors appeared on both The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days? Nahh, couldn't happen.
You know, I wonder what happened to that cute kid who played Opie? :p hee hee
There was a "Happy Days" episode where the parents went to see the movie "The Music Man" and Marian commented on how much the actor playing the little boy reminded her of Ritchie as a child! I definately watch too much TV!

nineiron
01-18-2001, 01:24 PM
Just a guess, but how about the upstairs boss on "Taxi"? I haven't seen the show in a while, but I think I remember just his office being up there and him never being seen. I am probably wrong, but all the ones I was sure about have already been said.

PRNYouth
01-18-2001, 01:27 PM
The Internet Movie DataBase lists at four appearances by Doris Dial on Murphy Brown -- played by two different actresses, Janet Carroll, and Concetta Tomei. There may have been more appearances.

Conversely, the Internet Movie DataBase lists no appearances for a character named Consuela in the "guest appearances" section of the Designing Women listing. (The IMDB has multiple omissions, though, so that should not be taken for absolute proof.) I have to add that I am of the opinion that Consuela was never shown. The episode some may remember as an appearance by Consuela actually features Anthony (Meshach Taylor) posing as Consuela in order to take her citizenship test.

nineiron
01-18-2001, 01:27 PM
Here's a newer one (the show has only been on 1 or 2 years, but still): Margaret's husband on "Becker." She always talks about their marital problems, but I don't think he's been seen.

And didn't Phyllis Diller used to do a bit on "Fang," or some such thing, that we never saw?

Sauron
01-18-2001, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Sauron
Mildred Pierce's photo resided on Colonel Potter's desk, so we did see her a few times.

I meant, of course, that Mildred Potter's photo was on the desk. Sheesh.

Podkayne
01-18-2001, 02:06 PM
Then there was Al, the guy on Police Squad who was so tall that his head was always cut off at the top of the screen.

Max Torque
01-18-2001, 02:51 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention Tino, the mystery figure of My So-Called Life. Tino was the MAN; he was at the center of everything cool, yet we never saw him. "Tino's gonna be there..." "Tino can give us a ride..." "Tino heard about this great party...". Really, it's like Waiting For Godot.

For that matter, you never see the Chase's family cat, either, although they always have to feed it, get kitty litter....

Zappo
01-18-2001, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Steve Wright

IIRC, in "Are You Being Served?", Young Mr. Grace was the original proprietor, Old Mr. Grace put in an appearance in later seasons (I think the actor playing Young Mr. Grace either died or retired at some point). Come to think of it, the show included two other invisible characters, Mr Humphries' mother and (groan) Mrs. Slocombe's pussy...

You're right, Steve.(No pun intended). Now that I've thought about it during the looooong boring meeting I was stuck in this afternoon, Old Mr. Grace did appear in the later seasons after the actor who played Young Mr. Grace died. I stand corrected.

Regards,

Zappo

Ethilrist
01-18-2001, 03:56 PM
All the adults (and their voices) in all of the Charlie Brown cartoons ever made.

Max Torque
01-18-2001, 05:33 PM
Indeed, on Are You Being Served?, the initial "young Mr. Grace" was replaced by "old Mr. Grace" (apparently a younger actor in some godawful makeup). There was an episode where the two Mr. Graces switched, probably a season premiere; young Mr. Grace retired, and old Mr. Grace moved right into his office. Somewhere along the way, I could swear they began to refer to the new fella as "young Mr. Grace" again. And, for the final few years, no "Mr. Grace" character made an appearance, although "young Mr. Grace" was often referred to.

Mr. Humphries' mother did indeed appear on the show, played by John Inman himself.

We never did see Mrs. Slocombe's pussy, no. Well, I think its tail appeared once or twice. Although I don't believe Mrs. Slocombe's neighbor, the often-mentioned Mrs. Axelby, ever appeared....

AtomicDog
01-18-2001, 05:51 PM
"Ms. Bellum! Oh, Ms. Bellum!"

caircair
01-18-2001, 05:55 PM
RE: Mildred Potter. Yes, we saw her on "AfterMASH", but it wasn't the woman in the photo on Col. Potter's desk; that was a photo of actress Spring Byington (who I believe had died before the show ever aired.)

RE: Mrs. Slocombe's "pussy": Yes, all we ever saw was the tail (it looked like a gray tabby). But on the second series, "Are You Being Served? Again!" the cat made an appearance: This time a fluffy black and white number. Incidentally, "pussy's" name was "Tiddles".

My husband tells me when we get a cat we must name it "Mrs. Slocombe".

ladybug
01-18-2001, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Max Torque
I haven't seen anyone mention Tino, the mystery figure of My So-Called Life. Tino was the MAN; he was at the center of everything cool, yet we never saw him. "Tino's gonna be there..." "Tino can give us a ride..." "Tino heard about this great party...". Really, it's like Waiting For Godot.

You beat me to it, Max. :) Tino was the first character I thought of while I was reading this thread.

King Rat
01-18-2001, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Colibri
If we include recurring announcers...

There was the narrator on Batman, who was none other than William Dozier, the executive producer.

Ell
01-18-2001, 09:02 PM
In one of the very early Seinfeld episodes Newman was threatening to commit suicide you never saw him but his voice was definately not Wayne Knight.

GuanoLad
01-18-2001, 09:18 PM
Indeed, on Are You Being Served?, the initial "young Mr. Grace" was replaced by "old Mr. Grace" (apparently a younger actor in some godawful makeup)

That actor went on to play the Granddad in Bread. But I dunno if anyone in America has seen that show. All about a Liverpool family who were a bunch of unemployed dreamers and shuysters.

Doug Bowe
01-19-2001, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by caircair
RE: Mildred Potter. Yes, we saw her on "AfterMASH", but it wasn't the woman in the photo on Col. Potter's desk; that was a photo of actress Spring Byington (who I believe had died before the show ever aired.)

--If the photo on the desk of Col. Potter (Harry Morgan) is indeed Spring Byington then that was a neat touch.
Most of the folks in this thread are bringing up TV shows from the last 30 years or so. Back in the '50's there was a sitcom called "December Bride" starring Spring Byington. One of the characters in that series was Harry Morgan (Pete Porter) who had a wife (Gladys) who was never seen.
In 1960 there was a spin-off from the Byington show called "Pete and Gladys" where Morgan finally got a visible wife.

Here's a link:
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Stage/2950/epg1/DecemberBride.htm

Rhythmdvl
01-19-2001, 02:10 AM
Sorry to pull this from page one (and lame for not having my own noseeum to post) but:

Originally posted by SmackFu
Orson, from "Mork & Mindy"

I was a wee lad when this show was on (there is a picture (waiting to haunt me when I start a political career) of me in fourth grade with rainbow suspenders. Ugh) but I seem to remember sometime near its death Mork met Orson. I kind of think it had something to do with him asking for permission to have a kid or something. Anyway, I kinda-almost-maybe remember him going back to wherever and meeting Orson. For some strange reason I want to say that the actor was Nick Tortelli. Ring any bells?

RonA
01-19-2001, 09:25 AM
Karen's husband and kids, on Will and Grace.
I was gonna say Ugly Naked Guy on Friends but someone beat me to it.
Did we ever see Donald Penobscott (sp?) on M*A*S*H?
And what about the guy on the tape recorder who gave Jim Phelps his assignments on Mission: Impossible ("You're mission, should you choose to accept it...")
Jack's (now ex-)wife, Just Shoot Me.
I don't know if this should really count, but Sarah the operator on The Andy Griffith Show. And didn't Aunt Bea and Opie have some friends they talked about but we never saw?

carnivorousplant
01-19-2001, 09:43 AM
Tom & Kim refer to the never seen Delaney(?) sisters on Voyager.

SirRay
01-19-2001, 10:05 AM
Donald Penobscott:
Yes, in the MASH Olympics, where he lost a race to an out-of-shape guy, and lost Margret and him an extra week of honeymoon leave.

SuperNova
01-19-2001, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by PRNYouth

Nanny on "Muppet Babies" :D Cheating - I know, since we see her fashionably-striped stockings, just never her face.

In the very last episode they showed her face.

Fiver
01-19-2001, 12:28 PM
carnivorousplant:Tom & Kim refer to the never seen Delaney(?) sisters on Voyager.
And now that you've brought up Star Trek, I'm reminded of the Starfleet captain with the transparent skull who Jadzia spoke of dating once and later encouraged Major Kira to ask out.

Nerys: What do you see in that guy?
Jadzia: His brain?

We never met him onscreen either.

Dolores Reborn
01-19-2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by SirRay
Donald Penobscott:
Yes, in the MASH Olympics, where he lost a race to an out-of-shape guy, and lost Margret and him an extra week of honeymoon leave.

Is that the same episode where BJ and Hawkeye convinced him that he'd broken some bone or another, and he was in a full body cast for the wedding, and subsequent honeymoon? Hilarious.

Anake
01-19-2001, 03:45 PM
Louis, Margaret's husband (in which the two have been having marriage problems), on Becker.

--Anake

caircair
01-19-2001, 04:08 PM
Doug Bowe, as a matter of fact, that's exactly WHY Harry Morgan had her picture on Col. Potter's desk. It was his homage to the actress who gave him a big break in Show Business.

Me!! Joe!!!
01-19-2001, 04:34 PM
Well the only ones I could add to this would be from the long-running British show "Dr Who"...

Rassilon, the great legendary leader of the Time-Lords who is reverently spoken of by the Doctor and other Time-Lords, but to my knowledge never showed up on screen.

Some characters who were never even alluded to throughout the nearly 30 years this show was on the air were the Doctor's family. The first episode of the series kicks off with the original Doctor coming to Earth with a grand-daughter in tow -- Susan, his first "companion". The Susan character was written out after a year and was replaced by a long run of plucky young female assistants. Conspicuously, no mention was ever made of the Doctor having a wife or children or any familial ties ever again.

The Devil's Grandmother
01-19-2001, 05:07 PM
Ugly Naked Guy on "Friends" was seen at least once, when Ross went to talk UKG into sub-letting the apartment to him. IIRC, you only saw the back of his balding head and a rather hairy shoulder.

Jim Dial's wife on “Murphy Brown” was visible in several episodes, notably the one where Jim wrote a spy novel where the main characters were himself and (unintentionally) Murphy.

Mrs. King’s missing husband was a plot device in “The Scarecrow and Mrs. King”. Even the pictures she had of him had the face obscured. Although, I only saw the first season. Things may have changed.

Wasn’t there a spy who was always inside file cabinets and things on “Get Smart”? I don’t recall ever seeing him out of camouflage.

GuanoLad
01-19-2001, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by xtal
Wasn’t there a spy who was always inside file cabinets and things on “Get Smart”? I don’t recall ever seeing him out of camouflage.

That was Agent 13. Always got the bad luck assignments of course.

Daytona Dave
01-19-2001, 05:59 PM
1) Number One from 'The Prisoner'.
2) Principal Lazarus from 'Welcome Back, Kotter'.

Sir Rhosis
01-20-2001, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Me!! Joe!!!
Well the only ones I could add to this would be from the long-running British show "Dr Who"...

Rassilon, the great legendary leader of the Time-Lords who is reverently spoken of by the Doctor and other Time-Lords, but to my knowledge never showed up on screen.

Some characters who were never even alluded to throughout the nearly 30 years this show was on the air were the Doctor's family.

IIRC, Rassilon, or at least a hologram of Rassilon, appeared in the 20th anniversary show "The Five Doctors."

The Doctor occasionally mentioned his family--I believe the Second Doctor vaguely mentioned them in "Tombs of the Cybermen," and the Third Doctor (I think, may have been the Second) once said something like "They live only in my memory." Finally, in the infamous TV movie, the Eighth Doctor reveals that he was "half-human, on my mother's side."

So, yes, mentioned, but never seen.

Sir

Pismonque
01-20-2001, 02:33 AM
Every kid ever named at the end of Romper Room.

King Rat
01-20-2001, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Daytona Dave
Number One from 'The Prisoner'.

Well...we do see Number One. It's Patrick McGoohan. Whether it's actually Number Six or a sort of "alter ego" (McGoohan's own words) (http://www.soft.net.uk/bethell/PRISONER/mcgoohan.htm) is...

TV time
01-20-2001, 11:10 AM
I believe that one of the first uses of this on television was in the mid-1950's comedy series "December Bride." Next door neighbor Pete, Harry (Henry) Morgan, was constantly refering to his wife, expecting her to come over, taking phone calls from her, etc, but she was never seen. Her name was Gladys.

It is interesting to note, this couple, Pete and Gladys, proved to be the first "spin-off" in early television. The network brass created a new series while the original series was still on called "Pete and Gladys". Like Mrs. Colombo, they found an actress to play Gladys opposite Morgan and hoping to capitalize on the original's popularity put it on the air. The show died a quick death.

The idea of the never-seen (heard) character was also very popular in radio comedies. For instance, Mr. Peevee's wife in "Fibber MaGee and Molly."

Max Torque
01-20-2001, 01:02 PM
Drat, I think you've beaten me. It just occurred to me that the character of Fang (White Fang) on The Soupy Sales Show was never seen but for one hairy paw, but December Bride premiered in 1954, a year before Soupy got on the air.

Gilligan
01-20-2001, 01:33 PM
Mr. Bell (Drew's first boss) on The Drew Carey Show was unseen until his character was fired.

Serendipity
01-20-2001, 03:37 PM
I don't think Chandler's dad is ever seen on "Friends," although we might have caught a glimpse of him in the worst-Thanksgiving-flashback episode.

Doug Bowe
01-21-2001, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by TV time

I believe that one of the first uses of this on television was in the mid-1950's comedy series "December Bride." Next door neighbor Pete, Harry (Henry) Morgan, was constantly refering to his wife, expecting her to come over, taking phone calls from her, etc, but she was never seen. Her name was Gladys.

--Hey! Please read the correspondance between me and Caircair in this same thread.
And Caircair, thank you!

zub
01-24-2001, 09:53 AM
are we all forgetting al borlan's mother in home improvement?

tevya
01-24-2001, 12:26 PM
Fez's Host Family on That 70's Show

Did we ever get to see Phoebe's grandmother on Friends before she (the grandmother) died?

I don't think we've ever seen any of John Carter's family except his grandmother and his cousin Chase, on ER. We may have seen his grandfather but I don't think we did.

We haven't seen Jackie's husband on ER in quite some time although he is still mentioned occasionally. I believe this is because Vig Rhames has gone on to bigger and better things.

Me!! Joe!!!
01-24-2001, 12:39 PM
I don't know if this counts, but what about Don Pardo, the announcer for "Price Is Right" (ex: "Cecil Adams! Come On Down !!!") and the early years of "Saturday Night Live", among other shows (I don't know if he's still the announcer for SNL). SNL News Update even did a gag about him once in which Pardo was held hostage by terrorists. Lorraine Newman interviewed him, holding a microphone up to a door that led offstage. From beyond the doorway, Pardo read the terrorists demands in his "gameshow voice" as if he was showing off gameshow prizes. ("the terrorists want an all-expense paid flight for four to fabulous Cuba!!!)

BiblioCat
01-24-2001, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by tevya
Did we ever get to see Phoebe's grandmother on Friends before she (the grandmother) died?

Yes. She was played by Audra Lindley, of Three's COmpany fame.

I don't think we've ever seen any of John Carter's family except his grandmother and his cousin Chase, on ER. We may have seen his grandfather but I don't think we did.
We saw the grandfather once, when Chase OD'ed and they were talking about where he should go (what type of nursing home or rehab place)
[/QUOTE]

BiblioCat
01-24-2001, 12:50 PM

Yes. She was played by Audra Lindley, of Three's Company fame.

We saw the grandfather once, when Chase OD'ed and they were talking about where he should go (what type of nursing home or rehab place). Carter and his grandparents were arguing about it.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ethilrist
01-24-2001, 01:17 PM
Les Nesmond's dog on WKRP in Cincinnati.

Max Torque
01-24-2001, 01:49 PM
Fez's Host Family on That 70's Show

Yeah we did. Remember the episode where Fez's host family had a talk with him about listening to "satanic music", and Hyde taught Fez to conceal his heavy metal records in soft-rock album covers?

Some of John's relatives came to the hospital when Chase ODed and suffered massive brain damage; don't remember which relatives precisely, though.

Max Torque
01-24-2001, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Me!! Joe!!!
I don't know if this counts, but what about Don Pardo, the announcer for "Price Is Right" (ex: "Cecil Adams! Come On Down !!!") and the early years of "Saturday Night Live", among other shows (I don't know if he's still the announcer for SNL). SNL News Update even did a gag about him once in which Pardo was held hostage by terrorists. Lorraine Newman interviewed him, holding a microphone up to a door that led offstage. From beyond the doorway, Pardo read the terrorists demands in his "gameshow voice" as if he was showing off gameshow prizes. ("the terrorists want an all-expense paid flight for four to fabulous Cuba!!!)

While they might have made a gag of Pardo's disembodied voice early on, we've seen Pardo on SNL since then. And an announcer isn't really a "character", anyway....

BiblioCat
01-24-2001, 02:45 PM
I don't think Don Pardo ever did the announcing on TPIR. It's Rod Roddy now, but who did it before him?

Me!! Joe!!!
01-24-2001, 03:16 PM

While they might have made a gag of Pardo's disembodied voice early on, we've seen Pardo on SNL since then. And an announcer isn't really a "character", anyway....

Okay, I know it's stretching the point a bit, but I think a character is someone who adds an identifiable personality to a show, and not necesarily a fictional person. SNL has always made a point of showing the actual performers playing themselves as "characters" on the show (Chevy Chase doing his stumbling bit, or Lorne Michael showing up on camera to act like an "S.O.B. producer" for example). In that regard, Mr. Pardo would count as a character since his announcements were a readily recognizable part of SNL. But I'll concede that maybe being announcer for a game show doesn't make the cut.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
01-24-2001, 04:20 PM
Johnny Olsen was THE "Come on, down!" guy. I won't say "original," because I thing TPIR had an earlier incarnation in the 1950s or 1960s. I don't know what kind of format it had (if indeed that is the case). But Johnny Olsen is da man who established the phrase, whether or not he was the first to use it.

Booker57
01-24-2001, 04:20 PM
Hot l Baltimore had a character named Butch.

Who else remembers that show?

Gilligan
01-24-2001, 04:29 PM
I vaguely remember Hot L Baltimore, but I only remember Conchata Ferrell being in it, and it being funny. I think it’s a TV trivia factoid that it was the first show to have regular characters who were gay.

astro
01-24-2001, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by astorian
How many TV characters can you think of who were heard or discussed, but never actually seen? I can think of...

1) Carlton the doorman on "Rhoda"
2) Robin Masters on "Magnum PI"
3) John Beresford Tipton on "The Millionaire"
4) Charles Townsend on "Charlie's Angels"
5) Wilson, on "Home Improvement"

ANy others come to mind?

There was an episode where Wilson was seen in full face. It was in an epsiode where IIRC there was a Halloween Party and his face was covered in black greasepaint but you could easily see his entire face.

Davidbw1
01-24-2001, 07:28 PM
THE BIG GIANT HEAD

BiblioCat
01-24-2001, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Davidbw1
THE BIG GIANT HEAD
Isn't the Big Giant Head played by William Shatner?
We saw him!

Ura-Maru
01-25-2001, 03:23 AM
Well, Cambot from MST3K almost qualifies, ('cause it's filming the show) but it's in the intro.

Black Adder had a few characters who were repetedly refered too but either never actually show up, or show up in later series. Most of those are Bob Sakamato-esqe in jokes for repeated viewers, though. The only one I can think of offhand is Ms. Miggins, the offscreen pie-shop owner from Black Adder 2, is an on-screen coffee shop owner in BA3. Well, and Baldrick's mother, but that's pushing.

In Slayers, Lina Inverse's sister is frequently refered to, but only apears for a few frames in the opening of the third season. And Xellos' boss demon, Beastmaster, is only shown in a The Graduate-like leg-and-stocking shot at the very end of the series.

--
"I AM the baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells!"

BobSchroeck
01-25-2001, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by CnoteChris
Originally posted by barstow
Norm's wife actually appeared on the Thanksgiving feast at Carla's house.
You might also be interested to know that the woman who played his wife in that episode was also his wife in real life. [/B][/QUOTE]

Am I mistaken, or didn't I see Ruth Buzzi play Norm's wife, once?

-- Bob

BobSchroeck
01-25-2001, 07:11 AM
Mildred Potter made an appearance as a regular on the unfortunate After-M*A*S*H.

If you count the photo on Potter's desk, she was in a lot of M*A*S*H episodes...

-- Bob

caircair
01-25-2001, 05:19 PM
Bob, Bob, Bob! I've already posted on this. If you count the photo on Col. Potter's desk, she was NOT in a lot of shows! The woman in the photo was actress Spring Byington. The woman who played Mildred Potter in AfterMASH was someone else (Ms. Byington having died previously.)

Rilchiam
01-28-2001, 03:20 AM
On Red Green, there are a lot of unseen characters. Besides Bernice, Red's wife*, there's Stinky Petersen, Old Man Sedgwick, Moose Thompson, Junior Singleton, and Buster Hatfield. I think that's all.

*There was an episode where a network was going to buy the program, and cast a young blonde babe as Bernice, but they also cast a young Ted McGinley-looking guy as Harold. Anyway, the deal didn't go through, and I was left wondering how those two were going to get out of Possum Lake in one piece.

Mockingbird
01-28-2001, 06:14 PM
There was Serge, Edina's son on AbFab who was never seen...

In Jimmy Durante's act there was Mrs. Calabash...

That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

Caesar0211
01-28-2001, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by kawliga
Sheridan, son of Hyacinth, on "Keeping Up Appearances."

I thought I was the only person who watched that! haha

maryka1950@comcast.net
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm about 10yeqrs late with this but, in response to DG Bowe in 2001:
Pete's (Harry Morgan, later Col. Potter on MASH) was neighbor Pete on Spring Byington's "December Bride", married to the unseen Gladys, and later in the spinoff "Pete & Gladys", where Gladys was played by Cara Williams who married John Drew Barrymore, later married to Ildiko Jaid and the father of Drew Barrymore.

Czarcasm
06-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Throwing fresh brains over fence to Cafe Society to lure zombie thread away from IMHO.

Mr. Greenjeans
06-14-2011, 07:14 AM
I could be wrong...

But did we ever get to see God's face on The Simpsons?

BMalion
06-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Well, Cambot from MST3K almost qualifies, ('cause it's filming the show) but it's in the intro.

Black Adder had a few characters who were repetedly refered too but either never actually show up, or show up in later series. Most of those are Bob Sakamato-esqe in jokes for repeated viewers, though. The only one I can think of offhand is Ms. Miggins, the offscreen pie-shop owner from Black Adder 2, is an on-screen coffee shop owner in BA3. Well, and Baldrick's mother, but that's pushing.

In Slayers, Lina Inverse's sister is frequently refered to, but only apears for a few frames in the opening of the third season. And Xellos' boss demon, Beastmaster, is only shown in a The Graduate-like leg-and-stocking shot at the very end of the series.

--
"I AM the baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells!"

I loved that show!

Baldrick: (in dire straights) I want my mum.

Black Adder: Yes, a maternally outraged female gorilla would handy about now.

Annie-Xmas
06-14-2011, 09:38 AM
On Erma Bombeck's short lived TV series Maggie, the eldest son was an adolescent who was always in his room with the door closed or out of the house. He was never seen.

JSexton
06-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I was gobsmacked that no one mentioned howard's mother on Big Bang Theory until I got to the end and realized it's a ten year old zombie.

johnpost
06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
The idea of the never-seen (heard) character was also very popular in radio comedies. For instance, Mr. Peevee's wife in "Fibber MaGee and Molly."

as long as zombies have rose from the dead

Myrt was unheard on Fibber McGee and Molly.

Peavey was the druggist was on The Great Gildersleeve, a spinoff of Fibber McGee and Molly. that actor did do another character on Fibber McGee and Molly.

DivineComedienne
06-14-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't think Chandler's dad is ever seen on "Friends," although we might have caught a glimpse of him in the worst-Thanksgiving-flashback episode.

Chandler's dad was never seen until near the end of the series, when he was played by Kathleen Turner (brilliant casting!). Chandler and Monica went to Las Vegas to invite him to the wedding, and we met him for the first time.

kunilou
06-14-2011, 10:48 AM
On the old December Bride, Pete Porter (Harry Morgan) complained frequently about his his unseen wife, Gladys. This caused a problem when the producers spun Pete and Gladys into its own show. Like Vera and Maris, the real thing was nowhere near as interesting as what we imagined.