PDA

View Full Version : Punny hair salon names: why so prevalent?

elmwood
05-27-2010, 03:10 PM
A question, but not quite a GQ: Ive noticed that a far higher percentage of hair salons have punny names -- e.g. The Mane Event, Miracurls Can Happen, Curlup And Dye, From Hair To Eternity, etc -- than other types of businesses. The salons that don't have punny names will often have a French or Spanish name; Salon Sergio, Pierre for Hair, Salon Henri, and so on.

Anyhow, are punny names prevalent for other types of businesses?

armedmonkey
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Anyhow, are punny names prevalent for other types of businesses?Wok 'N Roll, Wok this way, Wok on the Wild Side, Nin Com Soup, Thai Tanic, Thai Me Up, Thai the Knot, Peking Inn.

MeanOldLady
05-27-2010, 03:50 PM
The King and Thai makes me angry every time I pass it! Grr!

Skammer
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I know what you mean, it's shear madness!

Ellen Cherry
05-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Lawn care company in town: Little Miss Mow It All.

descamisado
05-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I know what you mean, it's shear madness!That was A Cut Above, sir.

elmwood
05-27-2010, 04:04 PM
I know what you mean, it's shear madness!

/bangs head

Zsofia
05-27-2010, 05:04 PM
See also: port a john companies. Royal Flush, Farmer John, "We're Number One in the Number Two Business", etc.

Miss Woodhouse
05-27-2010, 07:40 PM
one from my town: The Hair Port.

I really detest pun names. I find them the last refuge of the unimaginative and it starts me thinking all those lovely stereotypes and prejudices about hair dressers and their intelligence level. I picture a 30 something with over dyed hair snapping her gum while she contemplates the next tortuous hair do she'll get her hair salon buddy to do to her hair.

Indistinguishable
05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Coffee shops (in my area, at least): Royal Ground, Sacred Grounds, Fertile Grounds, Village Grounds, Sufficient Grounds...

Noel Prosequi
05-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I recall this was lampshaded in the Simpsons - in the background in a streetscape in two episodes (Apu's wedding and Hungry Hungry Homer) there was a hairdresser's called Hairy Shearers.

drpepper
05-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Coffee shops (in my area, at least): Royal Ground, Sacred Grounds, Fertile Grounds, Village Grounds, Sufficient Grounds...

Yes! Same here! 'Grounds for Celebration', 'Brewed Awakenings', there's one more I just can't think of it this second. I think it's cute and support the locally-owned coffee shops whenever I can.

Peremensoe
05-27-2010, 09:22 PM
There are a number of "Daily Grind" coffeeshops.

Arrendajo
05-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes! Same here! 'Grounds for Celebration', 'Brewed Awakenings', there's one more I just can't think of it this second. I think it's cute and support the locally-owned coffee shops whenever I can.

Supreme Bean, among others, here.

Leiko
05-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Some pho shops have names like "What the Pho?" and "Pho King." Pho, in this case, is pronounced "fuh."

There's a beauty salon in my hometown named "Forever Yong," after the owner's name.

BigBertha
05-27-2010, 10:50 PM
/bangs headAt least the Superfly Salon has closed. heh

Hypnagogic Jerk
05-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Not only do hair salons use punny names, but they can't seem to find original ones. From Strange Maps, here's a map (originally from Die Zeit) (http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/358-huns-hair-salons-and-puns/) showing trends in hair salon punny names in Germany.

EvilTOJ
05-28-2010, 02:24 AM
There's the Best little Hairhouse in Gresham (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=best+little+hairhouse+in+gresham&sll=45.47607,-122.576991&sspn=0.010698,0.013518&ie=UTF8&hq=best+little+hairhouse&hnear=Gresham,+OR&t=h&z=15&iwloc=A) and Far Hung Low (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=far+hung+low&hl=en&cd=1&ei=dm__S5jNCJLCoASs1dzGCA&sig2=onaP5bKR9SECh2hYiViwpw&sll=45.504724,-122.499314&sspn=0.020622,0.190244&ie=UTF8&view=map&cid=4693192797982031366&ved=0CFEQpQY&hq=far+hung+low&hnear=&ll=45.505971,-122.578583&spn=0.010692,0.013518&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A).

bikergeek
05-28-2010, 02:50 AM
(er, hi. long time lurker, first time poster here)

There's a demolition company in Cambridge, Mass., called "Edifice Wrecks".

GuanoLad
05-28-2010, 04:16 AM
This (http://www.holysheet.com.au/) is my favourite.

Harmonious Discord
05-28-2010, 04:37 AM
They're named by hair dressers. How intelligent is somebody that would put a dress on hair.

Gyrate
05-28-2010, 05:14 AM
Some pho shops have names like "What the Pho?" and "Pho King." Pho, in this case, is pronounced "fuh."
Submitted without further comment (http://www.phatphucnoodlebar.com/).

Rayne Man
05-28-2010, 06:53 AM
On the subject of German punny names. The popular name for mobile/cell phones in Germany is "handy". Munich railway station has a shop that sells "pre-owned" phones. And the name of this shop?- "Second Handy"

Fear Itself
05-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Around here it is auto body repair shops:

Bump & Grind Auto Body
Ground Zero Auto Body
Paint Your Wagon auto body

Marley23
05-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Salons probably try to cultivate a friendly and informal kind of atmosphere, so humor might help them develop that image. They don't need to give themselves serious names like a law firm might because they don't need to appear institutionalized and authoritative. You might expect hair stylists to be kind of quirky, so the names fit.

Someday I hope to see an Asian restaurant called "Phuket, let's get some Thai."

MeanOldLady
05-28-2010, 07:11 AM
(er, hi. long time lurker, first time poster here)

There's a demolition company in Cambridge, Mass., called "Edifice Wrecks".I actually like this one! All others must be stopped.

Sigmagirl
05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
My favorite is Goo Gu Bumps (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2093/1857999021_3d038a8d89.jpg) salon on Lee Road in Cleveland. I drive by it every day. Don't know what the hell it means, but -- hey! (The marquee below reads "Hair Bumps."

LilGypsyGirl
05-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Salons probably try to cultivate a friendly and informal kind of atmosphere, so humor might help them develop that image. They don't need to give themselves serious names like a law firm might because they don't need to appear institutionalized and authoritative. You might expect hair stylists to be kind of quirky, so the names fit.

We (myself included) are a very quirky bunch. That being said, we also have irrationally large egos (myself included - it comes with the "arteest" part of hairstyling, I guess). The quirky salon owners give their shops the punny names, the egomaniacs name it after themselves.

Although, where I live there are a few cool names (and hairdressers that work therein). We have Alchemy, Tabloid, and Copperhead - just off the top of MY head.

Heh. :D

I'm going to be over here thinking of a stupid name for my salon.

Duke
05-28-2010, 08:55 AM
As for other kinds of shops which often have punning names, tygre's knitting hobby has exposed to all kinds of yarn shops with bad puns in their names. Most of these seem to revolve around some pun with "Ewe": Embraceable Ewe, Have Ewe Any Wool, Double Ewe, Just For Ewe, Ewe & Me, etc. etc. etc.

Fear Itself
05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
As for other kinds of shops which often have punning names, tygre's knitting hobby has exposed to all kinds of yarn shops with bad puns in their names. Most of these seem to revolve around some pun with "Ewe": Embraceable Ewe, Have Ewe Any Wool, Double Ewe, Just For Ewe, Ewe & Me, etc. etc. etc.The knitting shop Mrs. Fear frequents is called Knit Pickings.

tdn
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm going to be over here thinking of a stupid name for my salon.

Hair's wishing you luck.

descamisado
05-28-2010, 10:19 AM
There was an Afro-centric hair place I did marketing for in the early 80s that had a beauty salon, "cut heads,"* started/maintained dreadlocks, and sold clothes made from Africa styled fabrics, etc.

It was called "Knapps (Kuh-Naps)."

* Reference is from Spike Lee's movie, Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop.

mkecane
05-28-2010, 10:31 AM

I Can't Believe It's a Law Firm!

/wishes that was real, not from The Simpsons

Swallowed My Cellphone
05-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Oh, sweet Jeebus! I totally misread the thread title and thought it said "Pussy hair salon names." You've no idea the degrees of awe and horror that flashed through me.

Marley23
05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
I Can't Believe It's a Law Firm!

/wishes that was real, not from The Simpsons
I wish pretty much all the store names from The Simpsons were real. I would avoid shopping at most of them but the signs are priceless.

lissener
05-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Wok 'N Roll, Wok this way, Wok on the Wild Side, Nin Com Soup, Thai Tanic, Thai Me Up, Thai the Knot, Peking Inn.

What the Pho

ETA: Drat. Too slow as always.

Beau Thai?

LilGypsyGirl
05-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Hair's wishing you luck.

Hey you - quit makin' waves!

*light bulb*

:D

Sarabellum1976
05-28-2010, 11:27 PM
There's a auto body shop around here called Wreck-a-Mended.

(I really like Edifice Wrecks, though. That's awesome.)

Joey P
05-28-2010, 11:45 PM
one from my town: The Hair Port.

I really detest pun names. I find them the last refuge of the unimaginative and it starts me thinking all those lovely stereotypes and prejudices about hair dressers and their intelligence level. I picture a 30 something with over dyed hair snapping her gum while she contemplates the next tortuous hair do she'll get her hair salon buddy to do to her hair.

The one that bugs me is business names that are just their street number. Cafe 229, Club 403, The 1700 Room, 223. At least punny names show some creativity.
Now I'm seeing restaurants that are named after their intersection. Water Buffalo (on Water and Buffalo) Kil@Watt (on Kilborn and Water St).

MsChilePepper
05-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Wizards of Ooze Portable Restrooms (http://www.wizardsofooze.com/index.htm) is a Washington company.

Some friends and I encountered their service at a festival once, and I have to say, whatever that blue stuff is they put in the holding tank, it smelled SO GOOD! Seriously, we kept smelling it while walking down the street.

"Is that flowers?"

"Maybe somebody's selling candles or incense."

"Nope, it's the porta-potties," said Alan. (http://mschile.brunchma.com/crapola/WizardsofOoze.jpg)

Fear Itself
05-29-2010, 05:31 AM
Now I'm seeing restaurants that are named after their intersection. Water Buffalo (on Water and Buffalo) Kil@Watt (on Kilborn and Water St).Since 1931, The Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellissier_Building_and_Wiltern_Theatre), so named because it is located and the corner of Wilshire Ave. and Western Boulevard.

descamisado
05-29-2010, 09:44 AM
There's a lounge in NYC called "Barmacy," so named when a bar opened on the site of a former pharmacy.

JRDelirious
05-29-2010, 09:50 AM
In the food industry:

Cheese 'n Crust Souper-star, Burlington VT

jasonh300
05-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh, sweet Jeebus! I totally misread the thread title and thought it said "Pussy hair salon names." You've no idea the degrees of awe and horror that flashed through me.

That's exactly what I thought I saw when I clicked on the title. The actual content of the thread was disappointing.

Musicat
05-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I recall this was lampshaded in the Simpsons - in the background in a streetscape in two episodes (Apu's wedding and Hungry Hungry Homer) there was a hairdresser's called Hairy Shearers.Let's not forget Sneed's Seed and Feed (Formerly Chuck's).

MeanOldLady
05-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Ah yes, that was a good one. Much better than "Foiled Again" which I drove by yesterday. The good news (or bad, depending on who you ask) is it made you think of youse guys.

Ostrya
05-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Yasser, Nossir, and Noexcusesir Bros. Camel Rentals

whiterabbit
05-30-2010, 11:09 PM
A local chimney sweep and window washing and I don't know what else company: Haul Ash.

I remember the name. So in my book the name counts as a success. Now, if I only had a fireplace...*sigh*

snowmaster
05-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Our local contribution to the topic: The Beauty Saloon

Chronos
05-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Coffee shops (in my area, at least): Royal Ground, Sacred Grounds, Fertile Grounds, Village Grounds, Sufficient Grounds... Don't forget all the ones that pun on "perk" and "park". The most famous, of course, would be Central Perk, from Friends, but there's also a Lindley Perk around here, right next to Lindley Park.

There's also a coffee shop just off campus that's just called "The Daily". I guess they figure we can add the "grind" part ourselves. At least, I always think it whenever I see the name.

Floater
06-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Not as punny as funny. There is a barbershop not far from where I work called Sweeny Todd. And a restaurant around the corner from it called Kannibalen (The Cannibal).

MemoryDump
07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Just saw this yesterday: Peace Love and Grilled Cheeses--A Hair Salon, located in San Anselmo, California (Marin County at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge). http://www.peaceloveandgrilledcheeses.com/. Sorry if this is zombifying, but it cried out to be added to the record!

Musicat
07-05-2010, 08:03 PM
See also: port a john companies. Royal Flush, Farmer John, "We're Number One in the Number Two Business", etc.My personal fave is Seidel's Sewage and Septic Sucking Service.

Back to the OP, how about "Hair Apparent"?

Zombies rule.