PDA

View Full Version : The Angry Chef: Potato Salad

Oslo Ostragoth
07-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Itís time you worthless scumbags learned how to make a proper potato salad, so listen the hell up. (http://rickthegreat.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/the-angry-chef-potato-salad/)

I fucking <3 The Angry Chef.

Jeff Lichtman
07-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Miracle Whip doesn't belong in potato salad. It doesn't belong in anything. I wouldn't feed it to my cats, but then again, they wouldn't eat it because they have good taste.

Also, radishes in potato salad? That's. . . . . . different.

BTW, a lot of Dijon mustard comes from Dijon, France. "Not even French," indeed. I'd say that The Angry Chef is not even a chef.

Autolycus
07-09-2010, 03:23 AM
I don't even cook, and yet I loved this. Keep 'em comin!

panache45
07-09-2010, 03:54 AM
With all due respect, most of his recipe is good, except:

Use mayonnaise. Miracle Whip might be useful as a sexual lubricant, but nothing else.
No radishes.
Diced onion, in addition to the scallions.
Diced celery, in addition to celery seed.
A little chopped parsley.
A little dill.
Carrot shavings (just enough for color).

Lynn Bodoni
07-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Jesus Christ, don’t you dare fucking not peel them. Who wants gross potato skins in their potato salad? Child molesters, that’s who. This part is completely correct. Except that I don't want gross potato skins in ANY dish, not just potato salad.

Also, for those who missed it the first time around: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/07/potato-salad.html

silenus
07-09-2010, 05:15 AM
He's nuts. No fucking radishes, ever. It also should use red onions, not green. But he's right about the Miracle Whip. Mayonnaise is Satan's semen.

tumbleddown
07-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Miracle Whip might be useful as a sexual lubricant, but nothing else.
It's not even good for that, the sugar in it will lead to a bad yeast infection.

I was raised in a Miracle Whip home. The moment I was able to buy my own groceries, I began to buy and appreciate mayonnaise. Now I make my own. I will never again let Miracle Whip past my lips.

For kicks, my family's potato salad recipe:

Peeled potatoes, dammit
Hard boiled eggs
Finely diced de-stringed celery
Finely diced red and white onion
1 tablespoon good mustard for every 3 potatoes
Celery salt
As much mayonnaise as needed to bind it all nicely
Paprika on top to taste

Cannot beat this with a stick.

Khadaji
07-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I can appreciate the artistry of the angry rant, without agreeing that he has a clue about cooking.

Count me in the crowd that says you don't use miracle whip for anything.

Markxxx
07-09-2010, 08:03 AM
I love the comment

"Do you want to give people Potato AIDS" :D

I like both mayo and miracle whip, it depends what you're in the mood for.

Potato AIDS LOL

Mona Lisa Simpson
07-09-2010, 08:22 AM
I appear to be the only person on the planet who doesn't give a rat's ass about Miracle Whip vs Mayonnaise. I can tell the difference. I kind of like the Tangy Zip in my potato salad, but my ex husband was mayonnaise all the the way and gallons of that potato salad would disappear. Current beau is a Mircle Man so that is what I buy (I am condiment co dependant) but HE doesn't eat potato salad. My son however inhales the stuff. He must get it from the bio-dad. (Unrelated rant---That and body type are ALL he got fron his biodad... oh and his right big toe... weird.)

But Ricks recipe rocks and he should have his name written in the Book of Life for this public service. Unless, of course, he doesn't want that.

WhyNot
07-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Miracle Whip is just mayo-like substance with sugar and vinegar. Sure, you could use Mayo, but it's going to be very dull unless you also add sugar and vinegar, and...why bother? The kind folks at Miracle Whip have already figured out the perfect proportions of each, and it's much easier to open one jar.

I love mayo. I make homemade mayo. But Miracle Whip has its place, too.

And...radishes? Really? Sounds intriguing. I'll give it a shot.

dotchan
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
My old roommate (who is about as Southern as Southern gets) gives me a hard time about my take on the potato salad (in which I put mayo, eggs, cooked veggies, apples, and a bit of pepper on top): "That's not potato salad! That's...stuff! With potatoes in it!"

Snickers
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
There's no pickles. Really, there oughta be pickles.

My mom's potato salad is better than his. Yes, I said it.

MTCicero
07-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Itís time you worthless scumbags learned how to make a proper potato salad, so listen the hell up. (http://rickthegreat.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/the-angry-chef-potato-salad/)

I fucking <3 The Angry Chef.

I disagree intensely with his insistence on using the godawful Miracle Whip instead of the sublime mayonnaise.

MTCicero
07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
BTW, a lot of Dijon mustard comes from Dijon, France. "Not even French," indeed. I'd say that The Angry Chef is not even a chef.

Seconded.

MTCicero
07-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Best potato salad I've ever had the pleasure of cramming in my maw. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/potato-salad-recipe/index.html)

Tamerlane
07-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeeahh...I was entirely on board with RickJay's anti-bechamel lasagna stance (http://rickthegreat.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/lasagna-the-answer/), but Miracle Whip is simply repulsive. I guess I won't ban it when I inevitably become the benevolent God-King of this planet, because of the benevolence and all ( I'll offer choices! At least two! ), but I really should.

pulykamell
07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Best potato salad I've ever had the pleasure of cramming in my maw. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/potato-salad-recipe/index.html)

That looks lovely, but I reckon a little too frou-frou for the Angry Chef with the capers and the Dijon mustard. ;)

Yeah, I just can't get onboard with the Miracle Whip. Shit's too sweet. I could take a very light smear of it on a sandwich, but not a whole gob of it in potato salad. But I guess it's what you grew up with. My Polish immigrant parents were not fond of the Whip. Not sure what the problem with potato skins is, either. And radishes? :confused: I suppose I should try it before I knock it.

Points for style, though.

wolf-alice
07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Blork. Wrong. The way to make potato salad, and I say this with all the native authority of Californian advising me how to pull a warm frothy pint, is thus:

New potatoes, halved, skin on
Bit of horseradish
Bit of wholegrain mustard
Diced red onion
Diced spring onion
Finely diced capers
Finely diced cornichons
Flat leaf parsley
Salt & pepper
Hard-boiled - not boiled to powder, you peasant, like a niÁoise salad boil - eggs, if you can be bothered.
Make your own flipping mayonnaise

(Also, is Miracle Whip anything like Salad Cream? Jesus Christ).

Edit: Actually, that's pretty much it, MTCicero! Very much the same idea - capers and mustard and that. STICK IT IN MY BEAK. Gotta make your own mayonnaise, though. Frou-frou, but DELICIOUS.

bup
07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
The big miss here is that he says to hard boil those eggs really hard - 12 minutes at a high boil. That's what gives you green yolks. Eggs need to be coddled into hard-boiledness.

Ferret Herder
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
The big miss here is that he says to hard boil those eggs really hard - 12 minutes at a high boil. That's what gives you green yolks. Eggs need to be coddled into hard-boiledness.
Yup. High-boiling eggs gives you nasty, sulfurous yolks. That's a worse culinary crime than using Miracle Whip.

JuliaSqueezer
07-09-2010, 10:52 AM

Yes. Saw that episode, tried it, and it is delicious. Except for the olive oil.

Cripes, Tyler Florence would pour "a little olive oil" on chocolate chip brownies!

silenus
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Proper Potato Salad

Potatoes (duh!) - can be Red or Yukon Gold, peeled, chunked and boiled
Eggs - hard-boiled and chunked
Celery - diced
Pickles - diced
Red Onions - diced

Bound together by Miracle Whip & yellow mustard and seasoned with salt, red pepper flakes and sprinkled with paprika.

Satan was kicked out of Paradise for using mayo in his potato salad.

MTCicero
07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
That's only "proper" if you desire those who eat of said salad to be choking down each forkful (or feeding it to the dog).

carnivorousplant
07-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Miracle Whip doesn't belong in potato salad. It doesn't belong in anything. I wouldn't feed it to my cats,

You do and I'll call the SPCAES!(1)

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt I'll look at his recipes if he uses Miracle Whip. Blech!

(1) The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals with the Exception of Snakes.

Johnny L.A.
07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Nobody made ptato salad like my mom. My mom's potato salad was the best. Full stop.

She used Miracle Whip. No radishes. Yellow Mustard, diced celery, chopped onion. Mustard seeds soaked in white vinegar.

silenus
07-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Nobody made potato salad like my mom. My mom's potato salad was the best. Full stop.

This should be made into a Sticky. It would save a lot of arguments.

Who am I kidding? Around here? It would just start more debates about what the definition of a "mom" is, and is boiling potatoes abusive to hydrophobes.

carnivorousplant
07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I guess I won't ban it when I inevitably become the benevolent God-King of this planet,

I'm planning the revolt already.

GrandWino
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
My wife's grandma makes her potato salad w/ radishes in it. I'd never had it that way before, but I really liked the flavor it brought to the dish.

So I'm on board with the radishes. Miracle Whip, not so much.

Autolycus
07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Also, is Miracle Whip anything like Salad Cream? Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ did in fact invent Miracle Whip. Thanks for asking.

I guess I won't ban it when I inevitably become the benevolent God-King of this planet.

Oooh, I'm telling Skald! You too carnivorousplant.

carnivorousplant
07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Oooh, I'm telling Skald! You too carnivorousplant.

Me, too, what?

Autolycus
07-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Me, too, what?

Oh, you meant a revolt against Tamerlane. Carry on then. *suspicious glance*

carnivorousplant
07-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh, you meant a revolt against Tamerlane. Carry on then. *suspicious glance*

You watch your ass.:dubious:

wolf-alice
07-09-2010, 04:04 PM
You're all dangerously insane. I'm going to MTCicero's for potato salad, you can all rub your tubers in permitted emulsifiers with Autolycus, or whatever it is you crazy kids do.

Autolycus
07-09-2010, 04:18 PM
You're all dangerously insane. I'm going to MTCicero's for potato salad, you can all rub your tubers in permitted emulsifiers with Autolycus, or whatever it is you crazy kids do.

Oh stop it; you're turning me on.

ouryL
07-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Miracle Whip doesn't belong in potato salad. It doesn't belong in anything. I wouldn't feed it to my cats, but then again, they wouldn't eat it because they have good taste.

Also, radishes in potato salad? That's. . . . . . different.

:D
Well, I myself would feed Miracle Whip to your cats.

carnivorousplant
07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
:D
Well, I myself would feed Miracle Whip to your cats.

Hello, SPCAES?
o-u-r-y-capital L.
No, I don't know why the hell the L is caps.
Hello?
Hello?

RickJay
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Yup. High-boiling eggs gives you nasty, sulfurous yolks.
I've never in my life boiled an egg that came out with a green, sulfurous yolk, so I must have misdescribed how I boil eggs.

In fact, I honestly wasn't even aware that could happen. I've never seen a boiled egg with a yolk any color other than a pleasant yellow.

panache45
07-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Potato AIDS LOL

So that's why all those Irish fled to the U.S.!

Oslo Ostragoth
07-10-2010, 03:25 AM
[Angry Chef mode on]

You fucking douches.

My mom makes the best potato salad in the world, and it is a lot like the Angry Chef's. It includes boiled red potatoes, Miracle Whip, French's yellow mustard, onions (who gives a shit what kind; use whatever is available fresh out of the garden), sweet pickle relish and a bit of juice, diced hard-boiled eggs, celery salt, paprika, and some other stuff that I will probably have to pry out of her cold, dead, hands.

Radishes sound good, in moderation, if diced fine.

My only disagreement with the Angry Chef is that red potato skins are OK - provided that they stick to the potato and don't swim around in the potato salad like some kind of demented jellyfish.

You Miracle Whip haters can go to hell.

[Angry Chef mode = off]

Fear Itself
07-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Potato salad without dill pickle relish isn't fit to plug my toilet.

carnivorousplant
07-10-2010, 12:53 PM
You Miracle Whip haters can go to hell.

Hell, no. The place is full of Miracle Whip.

pulykamell
07-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I've never in my life boiled an egg that came out with a green, sulfurous yolk, so I must have misdescribed how I boil eggs.

In fact, I honestly wasn't even aware that could happen. I've never seen a boiled egg with a yolk any color other than a pleasant yellow.

Consider yourself lucky. I've actually been to restaurants that should know better that have eggs with a green/grey-ish yolk. The green-gray color is not the color of the entire yolk, but rather the very outside of the yolk. This (and the taste) indicates overcooking. This is an extreme (http://wyattbelmonte.blogspot.com/2008/11/overcooked-egg.html) example of it. It's usually not quite that bad.

Cat Whisperer
07-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Mmmm, Miracle Whip. You can keep that tasteless white goo known as mayonnaise. I'm trying to think of a place with great potato salad for lunch now. :)

nikonikosuru
07-10-2010, 02:37 PM
The recipe sounds gross to me but I am entertained by the page. I keep reading it in the voice of Tourretes Guy.