PDA

View Full Version : why is the mlb on fox scoreboard so far to the left I can't see the score

PSXer
07-31-2010, 10:03 PM
what about us folks who don't have widescreen TVs

amarone
07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
We don't care about you. We are just annoyed that we have to get some things squashed into a fraction of our screens while we wait for the rest of you to catch up.

2ply
08-01-2010, 12:05 AM
The type of viewer who doesn't have a widescreen TV isn't a very desirable person to advertise to these days. Sorry. It's sort of like still having a black and white TV in 1980.

gonzomax
08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
It is Fox. The left is always invisible.

panache45
08-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Can you adjust the aspect ratio of your set? That may fix the problem.

kenobi 65
08-02-2010, 05:18 PM

:rimshot:

Suburban Plankton
08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I noticed this on Saturday while I was watching the Giants-Dodgers game. I too have a non-widescreen TV. Luckily, the commentators on FOX are so unbelievably, jaw-droppingly horrible that it will be a pleasure to skip the TV broadcast and just listen on the radio the next time they are broadcasting a Giants game, so I won't be missing anything.

amarone
08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I noticed this on Saturday while I was watching the Giants-Dodgers game. I too have a non-widescreen TV. Luckily, the commentators on FOX are so unbelievably, jaw-droppingly horrible that it will be a pleasure to skip the TV broadcast and just listen on the radio the next time they are broadcasting a Giants game, so I won't be missing anything.
Look out for the delay on the radio broadcast so they can cut the service and protect our sensibilities in the event that someone utters a naughty word.

asterion
08-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Seriously, I am a little surprised that the box is not 4:3 safe. They may have just screwed up with their graphics package.

MovieMogul
08-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Seriously, I am a little surprised that the box is not 4:3 safe. They may have just screwed up with their graphics package.They do it all the time for regular programming, too. Just watch The Simpsons or House and you'll see the credits bleed off the edges or compositions significantly off.

Least Original User Name Ever
08-02-2010, 10:36 PM

:rimshot:

www.instantrimshot.com

Amblydoper
08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Personally, I'm annoyed to see the score box so close to the center of the screen on my widescreen set just so 4:3 viewers don't have to buy a new TV. I'm equaly annoyed to see reruns of sitcoms stretched or cropped to fill the 16:9 screen. Broadcast the program in the original aspect ratio, please! Let us handle how to display it.

Rigamarole
08-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Another PSXer instant classic.

So how's 1985 treating ya?

notfrommensa
08-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Watching the ESPN coverage of the British Open Golf Championships the last three weeks (Men, Seniors, Womens), the camera would constantly have the hole on the very bottom of the picture. And then the omnipresent ESPN scroll would be covering the hole.

Morons.

Gonzomax, well done sir.

PSXer
08-03-2010, 12:11 AM
does everyone really have widescreen TVs except me

wow, you must be rich

antonio107
08-03-2010, 12:43 AM
On my mum's old Quasar brand TV (which is close to being an antique, plays my SNES games perfectly, and I will never EVER throw away), I just adjust the H and V hold, and that shrinks the ratio enough so I can see the scoreboard. Ditto for the sportsticker on ESPN.

Kamino Neko
08-03-2010, 12:48 AM
They do it all the time for regular programming, too. Just watch The Simpsons or House and you'll see the credits bleed off the edges or compositions significantly off.

This is why I no longer watch the Simpsons on Fox - Global, the Canadian broadcaster, letterboxes it, like a sensible broadcaster broadcasting 16:9 material for 4:3 sets.

BigT
08-03-2010, 12:52 AM

wow, you must be rich

I feel the same way sometimes. I can't imaging buying a new TV until the old one doesn't work.

Zeriel
08-03-2010, 01:37 PM

wow, you must be rich

I feel the same way sometimes. I can't imaging buying a new TV until the old one doesn't work.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but HDTV has been around long enough that your CRT has got to be getting pretty old. I mean, I got my 37" 720p TV for $300 on Black Friday last year--compare to the previous CRT I bought in 2003, which was $250 for a 27".

It's still a case where you have to shop to sales, but they're not exactly a luxury item anymore.

Beware of Doug
08-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Is there a good overscan converter box? My giant toob set is about the last one made with no aspect ratio switch. It doesn't have horizontal hold, either. It's a good SD set, and too goddam heavy to toss.

fusoya
08-06-2010, 07:07 AM
I don't watch very much sports, but THANK GOD they finally fixed that. I HATED the way that most sports events seem to cater to the 4:3 crowd by shooting for 4:3 with 16:9 cameras, and then having things like the score floating in the middle of the screen. If you don't have a 16:9 tv by now (cmon, it's been 12 years - how much longer is your Quasar or Philco gonna live:), then you should have to deal with the changes (and better yet for the networks - reach a nice deal with Samsung or Sharp to convince them to buy a new tv!)

Meeko
08-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Same here, If I here one more person suggest I buy a new TV, I'm going to barf. After that, I am going to demand they buy me one. They have enough money, apparently.

I still feel bad I bought an Ipod touch, when my Classic still works.