PDA

View Full Version : Nipple slips: How common are they?

Little Nemo
08-04-2010, 02:41 PM
A quick online search can demonstrate that they happen to female celebrities all the time. They're either swimming and their top slips down or they're wearing a low cut dress at some red carpet event and a nipple pops out.

Now my question is how much of this is real and how much of it is staged? Do non-famous women in swimsuits or low cut dresses have their nipples falling out but we just don't know it because there's no paparazzi snapping pictures of it? Or do famous women arrange for these "accidents" in order to get paparazzi to take their picture and get them some publicity?

Duckster
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I know they happen quite a bit at home, to my wife, when were alone. But I don't think that's the answer you are seeking.

ivan astikov
08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Pics, or it never happened!

johnpost
08-04-2010, 02:59 PM
isn't double sided carpet tape a standard wardrobe accessory?

if they're peeking it's intentional.

Chronos
08-04-2010, 03:02 PM
For starters, most women wear bras most of the time, which I would expect would make nipple slips almost impossible.

kirch
08-04-2010, 03:12 PM
First of all, I would have to say that with nipple slips, intent is hard to assess because one must consider a number of factors. First, what actions are being performed? Second, how large are the breasts in question? Third, how well or not well does the attire fit? Fourth, are there decorative pasties on the nipple suggesting it was begging to be shown (ahem, Janet)?

I have a fairly large chest, and I have experienced purely accidental and humiliating nipple slips. It is easy for a large chest to pop out if the outfit doesn't fit just right, and if the bra doesn't fit just right (this is more common with large chests) then it is not going to help any. However, most of the time, this has happened when doing activities that were conducive to nipple slips. One does not always know that they will be performing such activities when planning their wardrobe. For example, when one goes to Rocky Horror expecting to just be in the audience, they do not imagine they will end up being onstage as Janet and popping out of their bra a couple times during the more ridiculous shaking moments...

TerpBE
08-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the correct answer is "not nearly common enough".

alice_in_wonderland
08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Now my question is how much of this is real and how much of it is staged?

Well, I think quite a bit of it is staged; however, I've actually bounced right out of a demi-bra before while running somewhere. At the friggin' office, no less. So it does happen by accident.

Not that there was any actual boobage showing as I did have a top on, being at the office and all, but if I'd been in a lower cut top there would have been a whole boob showing, I'm sure.

DrCube
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the boards, kirch! :) You seem to be an expert on bosom dynamics, and that will certainly be appreciated here! I have to agree with other posters, however, on the dire need for pictures in this thread.

Little Nemo
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I have to agree with other posters, however, on the dire need for pictures in this thread.You get the mods to sign off on it and I'll start posting links. Otherwise consider this an opportunity to develop your google skills.

Bijou Drains
08-04-2010, 04:28 PM
A few years back Tara Reid had a dress strap break and she had her whole boob visible at a red carpet event. She did not realize it at first and then got ticked off that none of the photogs told her right away.

dracoi
08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm a 30-something guy and have seen only one real nipple slip in my life. (Beach, woman distracted by looking for keys she lost in the sand). There was another theoretical one, but nothing really visible. (Water slides, she stayed under water until she could get her top back on).

I have to think the stars do at least some of their slips on purpose. However, they do tend to wear outfits that are less practical than what most women wear most of the time, and they have twenty cameras on them from every angle. The combination is going to make slip-ups both more likely to happen and more likely to be noticed.

Little Nemo
08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
A few years back Tara Reid had a dress strap break and she had her whole boob visible at a red carpet event. She did not realize it at first and then got ticked off that none of the photogs told her right away.That's the kind of thing I'm wondering about. Did she really not realize her top had fallen open? Or did she claim not to have realized it with full knowledge that hundreds of pictures of her would be published as a result of the slip?

I'm reminded of something a paparazzi once said in defense of his business when complaints about harassment were getting really loud. He said that their business is a two-way street despite all the public protests celebrities make. Paparazzi aren't psychic - they don't have some special power that enables them to be waiting outside a restaurant or a nightclub when some celebrity arrives there. He says they get calls from the celebrity's publicist telling them where the celebrity is going to be that night. When a celebrity is photographed getting out of a limo, the presense of a dozen paparazzi is no more accidental than her lack of underwear.

Exapno Mapcase
08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm reminded of something a paparazzi once said in defense of his business when complaints about harassment were getting really loud. He said that their business is a two-way street despite all the public protests celebrities make. Paparazzi aren't psychic - they don't have some special power that enables them to be waiting outside a restaurant or a nightclub when some celebrity arrives there. He says they get calls from the celebrity's publicist telling them where the celebrity is going to be that night. When a celebrity is photographed getting out of a limo, the presense of a dozen paparazzi is no more accidental than her lack of underwear.

Yeah, and today isn't really Barack Obama's birthday because you can't believe his birth certificate.

Paparazzi don't have to be psychic. They're stalkers. They stake out all the hip places that celebrities are known to be see at. And they probably get more calls from bartenders, parking valets, waiters, and bouncers than they do from PR people. Just like the National Enquirer and Star and all the other places do.

Sure, PR people sometimes make calls. When their clients are dressed perfectly and have a project to promote and can control the situation. Very few paparazzi scrums (perhaps scums would be a better term) are controlled, and they work hard to put the celebrity in the worst possible light. What PR person would want that? Was the paparazzi lying? Yes. They flat-out lie about how sleazy they are. What a surprise.

Paparazzi are pimp scum. They make money off the bodies of others. There is no defending them, and certainly no reason to take their side of any situation. (Not that celebrities are wonderful or always believable. But they are miles above paparazzi.)

As for nipple slips, the vast majority of the ones I've heard about take place at one of two settings. Many are at the beach. If you kept a telephoto lens on 100 women in bikinis at a beach every minute of every day, I bet you'd find a nipple showing on at least 50 by the end of the week.

Most of the rest happen for the reasons given above. Celebrities in special outfits are less likely to wear bras than ordinary mortals. They wear loose fitting blouses that move around or extremely tight-fitting strapless outfits that slip. And the difference between them and you is that hundreds of cameras are trying to catch every slip from angles that nobody foresees.

As for not knowing if you slip: how many men have walked around with a zipper down at some time in their life? Almost every single one, I bet. So what if there were a camera following you around every moment of your life waiting for that to happen?

And whose careers have been enhanced or improved by nipple slips? Why would they do them deliberately when they can show more skin under better controlled conditions that would make them look far better? Where's the logic behind that?

Huerta88
08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I've seen two in the past year. One was a formal dress at a wedding sans anything under it, not so much a slip as when she leaned forward an unobstructed view. The other was a really short girl standing next to me in a loose v-neck shirt, again less of a popping out than a just being on view.

kirch
08-04-2010, 06:38 PM
1. It is so easy to not know you have slipped out. If you're already showing cleavage or your shirt is already loose, it's often a difference of an inch if that between nipple in and nipple out.
2. Paparazzi stalk people. I agree with that. The only people whose publicist is going to make that call are people who's nipple slips aren't going to make the news because they're not big enough stars or their stars have faded. Pretty sure Princess Di's publicist didn't call that shit in, you know?
3. I don't count sneak peaks as slips, more of a benefit tall people get. As a short girl, it's not something I consider with an outfit, though it's something I probably should. We don't really think about bird's eye view scenarios, for whatever reason.

That's all I have, for now.

BrotherCadfael
08-04-2010, 06:51 PM
It is indeed a nice benny for those of us well over six feet..

TriPolar
08-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't think these are real incidents at all. The photos all look retouched. Women shouldn't worry about going bra-less or wearing low cut or loose tops. Those see through photos are phony too. Even the shearest fabric doesn't let anything show. And obviously, panties are uneccesary as well.

Duckster
08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
A few years back Tara Reid had a dress strap break and she had her whole boob visible at a red carpet event. She did not realize it at first and then got ticked off that none of the photogs told her right away.

NSFW

http://phun .org /phun/galleries/tara_reid_nipslip/tara-reid-nip-slip-nipple-pics-pictures-gallery.htm

si_blakely
08-05-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm pretty sure that it was the costume designer for Star Trek that claimed that the sexiness of a womans outfit was directly proportional to the apparent likelihood of said garment revealing something it shouldn't. Thats fine on a set, where tape and fastenings can be hidden by camera angles and makeup, but it does not work so well in the real world of red carpets, premiers and interviews. So with designers pushing the limits in terms of the clothes they design (conforming to the above theory), and celebrities seeking to raise their profiles by wearing these outfits, and the presence of many photographers, a few accidental exposures are likely. Also, the fact that certain sheer materials are basically transparent when photographed with an intense flash/high shutter combo hasn't quite sunk in.

No doubt there are some deliberate exposures, by individuals trying to increase their media exposure. But most are accidents.

Si

Superhal
08-05-2010, 03:56 AM
During the summer, I see down blouses and upskirts all the time. On one hand, because women are dressing skimpier, I see a lot. On the other hand, because summer clothes is made for summer wear, they don't break as often and are much tighter fitting so fewer nip slips.

There are some skanky "celebrities" out there who show their tacos and grapes all the time. I seen one blog that had this caption for a Britney Spears panty-less upskirt:

Your daily view of Spears' Naughties
This really isn't fun anymore

madmonk28
08-05-2010, 04:04 AM
I've seen it happen a couple of time in real life. One time my wife and I were checking into a B&B and the employee's nipple had popped out and she was oblivious. I went back to the car to get something and my wife told her.

Anaamika
08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I've had them before in swimming suits. if your suit isn't fitted just right, you can surface from a dive or a swim and the water just pulls the top of the suit down.

Beyond that, I generally don't wear the kinds of things that let them slip out, but I can see how it could happen.

The Flying Dutchman
08-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Many years ago my buxom wife and I attended a beer garden at an air show with friends. She had on one of those (presumably) stretchy tops that do not go over the shoulders. At one point, with the Canadian Snowbirds criss crossing overhead I observed her glorious breasts spring free. Somewhat embarrassed, I looked around at our friends and the horde of people nearby.

No one noticed.

Chronos
08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
But how can you not notice when it happens? Even if it's just a few inches difference, the nipples are fairly sensitive, are they not? I'd have to imagine that having cloth against nipples feels significantly different from not having cloth against nipples.

Anaamika
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
But how can you not notice when it happens? Even if it's just a few inches difference, the nipples are fairly sensitive, are they not? I'd have to imagine that having cloth against nipples feels significantly different from not having cloth against nipples.

You don't always notice right away. Especially if you are comfortable...if it is a cool day you may feel the breeze but otherwise, it's not immediate.

Broomstick
08-05-2010, 12:37 PM
You don't always notice right away. Especially if you are comfortable...if it is a cool day you may feel the breeze but otherwise, it's not immediate.
Nipple and breast sensitivity varies greatly among women. In an individual woman, it can also vary according to where in her hormone cycle she is.

Here is where I point out that one of the side-effects of breast implants can be a loss of sensation in the nipple and/or other areas of the breast. Now, how many celebrities have had breast surgery, hmm...? At least a few have mentioned having that side effect. That would increase the odds of not noticing.

AClockworkMelon
08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
For example, when one goes to Rocky Horror expecting to just be in the audience, they do not imagine they will end up being onstage as Janet and popping out of their bra a couple times during the more ridiculous shaking moments...Wanna go see a horror movie with me?

corkboard
08-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Some are real, some are planned. My wife has this happen to her every now and then. She has one demi bra that she really loves b/c it's her most comfortable, but her nipples keep popping above the top of it. She doesn't notice until I see her looking like she's smuggling bullets, and point it out. They're not actually exposed though because they're covered by her shirt, but it's obvious they're poking above the bra.

Ají de Gallina
08-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the boards, kirch! :) You seem to be an expert on bosom dynamics, and that will certainly be appreciated here! I have to agree with other posters, however, on the dire need for pictures in this thread.
(my bolding)
Aren't the guys at the LHC working on that?

Cyberhwk
08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Happened to Sophie Marceau on the red carpet at Cannes:

hxxp://www.gifbin.com/982831

My guess is it's not usually staged but just a factor of being famous means more opportunity to dress up for awards shows and nights out (where the attire may require going bra less more than usual). And the fact that there are cameras around these same events.

BigT
08-06-2010, 12:23 AM
All I know is that I was constantly looking for them in junior high and high school, and never caught a single one. The closest I ever got was a little protrusion under the outfit, and a girl who leaned down in a loose fitting shirt, that showed everything but the one part y'all are talking about. (Still am not quite sure how that was possible.)

Cat Whisperer
08-06-2010, 12:34 AM
According to this video - hxxp://www.metacafe.com/watch/1379613/nip_slip_collection_part_2/ - they happen ALL THE TIME! Not safe for work, lots of boobs and stuff. Daring dresses and bright flashes account for most of them; others are women not being aware that a low collar and loose shirt isn't going to cover the same bending over as standing up straight, etc.

Chronos
08-06-2010, 01:44 AM
I don't think that video is good evidence, given how many of them aren't actually nipple slips. There are a lot where the top is just tight and the nipple leaves a bump in the fabric but you can't actually see through the fabric, several where the fabric is in the right place but sheer enough to slightly see through, some where the woman is actively pulling down her top to deliberately reveal, and some where she's completely topless. One would think that if nipple slips were really all that common, they could fill a video with genuine ones, instead of filling in with other forms of boobage.

Superhal
08-06-2010, 02:17 AM
One would think that if nipple slips were really all that common, they could fill a video with genuine ones, instead of filling in with other forms of boobage.

Regarding the video, I think they did that because so many of the celebrity nip slips are from a small group like Britney Spears, so they avoided using too many doubles. I think Britney could do an entire video of her naughty bits by herself.

Exapno Mapcase
08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
There are entire sites devoted to nipple slips, as some NSFW Googling will quickly reveal. They have the obvious names, too. Celebritynipslips, nippleslips, nip-slip. (Try to match .com. .net, and .org if you're playing at home.) One site with a huge archive is called, for mysterious reasons, taxidrivermovie.

So, you could fill a video with these. Probably a whole movie. And then one of upskirts, see-throughs, cameltoe, and all the other lovely terms. Common they are.

Cat Whisperer
08-06-2010, 10:42 AM
How about polterwang? That's one of my favourites - well, the term anyway (when women wear clothes that make them look like they have a wang).

BigT
08-07-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't think that video is good evidence, given how many of them aren't actually nipple slips. There are a lot where the top is just tight and the nipple leaves a bump in the fabric but you can't actually see through the fabric, several where the fabric is in the right place but sheer enough to slightly see through, some where the woman is actively pulling down her top to deliberately reveal, and some where she's completely topless. One would think that if nipple slips were really all that common, they could fill a video with genuine ones, instead of filling in with other forms of boobage.

I was going to say that. If those count as nipple slips, then I did occasionally see them in high school.

AutumnLeaves
08-07-2010, 07:00 AM
A few years back Tara Reid had a dress strap break and she had her whole boob visible at a red carpet event. She did not realize it at first and then got ticked off that none of the photogs told her right away.That's the kind of thing I'm wondering about. Did she really not realize her top had fallen open? Or did she claim not to have realized it with full knowledge that hundreds of pictures of her would be published as a result of the slip?

Yeah, she was drunk out of her skull, plus has had multiple breast surgeries. Doubt she could feel a thing.

I would say in general there's two kinds of celebrity nipple slips:

1 - movie star on the red carpet in something low cut, or strapless, or backless, with no bra. Even for people who have to dress up often, it's hard to get used to what movements you can make in a new dress without showing everything. Even dresses that don't show a whole lot of skin and seem quite well fitted can slide and shift throughout the evening. Double sided sticky tape isn't super glue, it can't keep everything in place.

2 - "starlet" whose only chance at having their photo on the next day's gossip blog or in that week's tabloids is to pretend to accidentally have a nipple slip, or upskirt with no underwear.

Of course things happen when you go to the beach, or you're leaning over to pick up after your dog, and stuff. Almost all women have had that happen, but more and more paparazzi apparently have a market for pictures of celebrities doing things like walking their dogs, probably not thinking too much about standing a certain way as to not flash some boob.

Renee
08-07-2010, 11:39 AM

NSFW

http://phun .org /phun/galleries/tara_reid_nipslip/tara-reid-nip-slip-nipple-pics-pictures-gallery.htm

Are the scars around her nipples from a boob job? I've never seen that before.

Gary "Wombat" Robson
08-07-2010, 02:03 PM
I have to agree with other posters, however, on the dire need for pictures in this thread.You get the mods to sign off on it and I'll start posting links. Otherwise consider this an opportunity to develop your google skills.There is no rule against posting NSFW links as long as:

1) You follow the "two-click" rule (either break the link, hide it in a spoiler box, or both)

2) You describe what you're linking to so people don't get surprises

seosamh
08-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I saw a (real woman's) nipple yesterday at about 12.30, as I crossed Victoria Street near New Scotland Yard, towards Strutton Ground. A bloke and a young lady were crossing in the other direction and the woman was wearing some sort of cardigan affair over a summery dress. She carried out an elaborate adjusting manoeuvre with the cardigan as I was passing her and, lo and behold, it revealed her right nipple poking out of her dress. Made my day, I can tell you ...

Little Nemo
08-07-2010, 04:51 PM
You get the mods to sign off on it and I'll start posting links. Otherwise consider this an opportunity to develop your google skills.There is no rule against posting NSFW links as long as:

1) You follow the "two-click" rule (either break the link, hide it in a spoiler box, or both)

2) You describe what you're linking to so people don't get surprises
Well, okay thenA bunch of celebrity nipples

http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/avril_lavigne_nipple_slip_4.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/eva_mendes_nip_slip_06.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/annalynne_mccord_nipple_001.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/miranda-kerr-nipple-slip.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/lily_allen_nipples_14.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Sophie_monk_nip_slip_3.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/import/mischa_barton_nipple_slip_cab_4.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/import/blake_lively_nip_slip_nipple_gossip_girl.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/import/amy_smart_nipple_slip_2.jpg
http://www.celebnewswire.com/wp-content/uploads/import/paris%20hilton%20surf%20nipple%20slip.jpg