PDA

View Full Version : What are your unsanitary habits?

overlyverbose
09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm ashamed to admit it, but sometimes I do things that are...questionable. In other words, sometimes I'm just not that clean. I sincerely hope I'm not alone.

My habits have yet to contribute to anyone in my household, myself included, getting sick, but here are a few. There are more, but I'm shy.

- I don't really care if my daughter eats a Cheerio off the floor. Obviously, I'm not going to toss them on the floor and leave them there for her to have as a snack, but if she finds one, I don't really care if she eats it as long as it's not petrified and nothing disgusting has been on the floor.

- Sometimes when I'm cooking meat and need to spice it, instead of washing my hands for the fifth time, I'll wipe them off on a clean towel and grab the spice bottle, use it and put it back.

- If there are nothing but crumbs on a plate and they're dry, I've been known to dust if off and put it back for re-use.

So...confess your cleanliness transgressions here. I'd hate to think I'm the only lazy, dirty slob on the Dope!

The Devil's Grandmother
09-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm much less crazy about cross-contamination when I'm cooking for just my husband and me, as we don't have any food allergies. So I'll use the same knife to cut the casserole as the veggies.

BrotherCadfael
09-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I drink from the milk jug. I pretend I don't.

Surly Chick
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
I eat stuff that has fallen on the floor. The 3 second rule, ya know?

Leaffan
09-28-2010, 01:15 PM
I pee in the shower.

even sven
09-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I freely taste straight from the stirring-spoon when I'm cooking for myself.

I'm a terrible dish washer. I tend to use the same plate/cooking pots multiple times in a day, and a bit of whatever left over from the last meal doesn't bug me at all.

Joey P
I'm ashamed to admit it, but sometimes I do things that are...questionable. In other words, sometimes I'm just not that clean. I sincerely hope I'm not alone.

My habits have yet to contribute to anyone in my household, myself included, getting sick, but here are a few. There are more, but I'm shy.

- I don't really care if my daughter eats a Cheerio off the floor. Obviously, I'm not going to toss them on the floor and leave them there for her to have as a snack, but if she finds one, I don't really care if she eats it as long as it's not petrified and nothing disgusting has been on the floor.

- Sometimes when I'm cooking meat and need to spice it, instead of washing my hands for the fifth time, I'll wipe them off on a clean towel and grab the spice bottle, use it and put it back.

- If there are nothing but crumbs on a plate and they're dry, I've been known to dust if off and put it back for re-use.

So...confess your cleanliness transgressions here. I'd hate to think I'm the only lazy, dirty slob on the Dope!

Most of those don't bother me...I've done them myself. But I have an issue with the raw meat and spice bottle thing. The problem is that if you get anything (E-coli, salmonella etc) on the spice bottle you could make the next person who uses it sick. Either because they handled the bottle and then handled already cooked or not-going-to-be cooked food OR because they touched the bottle (expecting it to be clean) and then didn't wash their hands afterwords.
What you did is referred to in the food safety industry "cross contamination." Cross contamination is a Big Deal and IMHO one of the easier things to prevent in food safety.

I always cringe when I watch cooking shows. You'll see the host handling raw chicken, grabbing salt out of a small bowl, turning the sink on and off, touching this and that. I feel bad for the crew that has to come through and clean everything after the show. I also wish they would point out that if you're going to have a small bowl of salt to grab pinches out of to season the raw meat, plan on tossing the leftover salt when you're done. In fact, this is a better idea then to be constantly grabbing the bottle to get more.

kayaker

I extend the rule to 10 seconds; metric is my excuse.

running coach
09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
I think the OP said too much. ;)

KRC
09-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Having the world's filthiest kitchen and allowing the birds in there, where they stashed something under the stove burner, which led to a fire, which my sister put out with her hand while I ran around looking for the extiguisher.

Surly Chick
09-28-2010, 02:05 PM

If it's been on the floor for 10 seconds, chances are the dogs have already eaten it...

lieu
09-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I grill a lot, probably 5 times a week. Maybe about once a month I'll get in there and clean all the flavor bars and grilling surfaces but the rest of the time I just allow the heat from bringing it up to cooking temp to kill all the baddies.

Watching those shows where the chef starts off with a perfectly clean and oiled grill everytime seems like a great "best practices" but if I had to do that everytime I probably wouldn't grill nearly as much and that'd be a shame.

kayaker
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM

If it's been on the floor for 10 seconds, chances are the dogs have already eaten it...

heh. We have 3 dogs. One of the things they are taught is that they cannot eat anything without first sitting, and then being told, "OK, eat". They are 95% perfect with this.

An Arky
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
I grill a lot, probably 5 times a week. Maybe about once a month I'll get in there and clean all the flavor bars and grilling surfaces but the rest of the time I just allow the heat from bringing it up to cooking temp to kill all the baddies.

Watching those shows where the chef starts off with a perfectly clean and oiled grill everytime seems like a great "best practices" but if I had to do that everytime I probably wouldn't grill nearly as much and that'd be a shame.

Me, too. 500 degrees of sanitation.

etv78
09-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Me too!

lieu
09-28-2010, 02:33 PM
I eat stuff that has fallen on the floor. Okay, who does this... and then licks it clean?

overlyverbose
09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
I eat stuff that has fallen on the floor. Okay, who does this... and then licks it clean?

My baby does this sometimes. She'll find a Cheerio and eat it, then I'll turn around and she's face down on the floor with her tongue out like she wants to make sure she got the last crumb. I pick her up if I catch her in the act, but I can't hold her all the time if I'm in the kitchen, since I'm usually trying to cook and run herd on my son, too.

Her floor-licking habit is by turns horrifying and funny. At first I had no idea what she was doing because I caught her just as she was finishing, so it looked like she was doing a pushup. Then my four-year old son imitated her because he thought it was so funny and I realized what they were up to. Thankfully, the floor is relatively clean. Recently they've moved on to other ways of entertaining each other, such as one screaming, then the other laughing and imitating it. I kind of miss the floor licking.

runner pat, I think you're right. I not only run at the keyboard, I overshare. That meat comment has already gotten me in trouble. I think I'm going to disinfect my spice bottles tonight.

And lieu, I rarely clean and oil my grill rack. A quick scrubbing with a wire brush before grilling, then some pre-heating seems to work for me.

Dogzilla
09-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Sometimes I let the dog pre rinse the dishes.

Dung Beetle
09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I kiss my dog and my cats. Usually on the nose, but sometimes their slimy little lips get in the way. There’s no doubt the cats have been licking their asses, and the dog does things that are even worse, but they’re so darn cute! My immune system is apparently a match for whatever we’ve shared so far.

Machine Elf
09-28-2010, 03:41 PM
I pee in the shower.

This.

NetTrekker
09-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I kiss my dog and my cats. Usually on the nose, but sometimes their slimy little lips get in the way. There’s no doubt the cats have been licking their asses, and the dog does things that are even worse, but they’re so darn cute! My immune system is apparently a match for whatever we’ve shared so far.

Knowing what dogs can get into, I've never understood why people let them lick their faces. Much worse than eating off the floor or dirty dishes, IMO.

LouisB
09-28-2010, 03:58 PM
If I eat really greasy food with my hands, I wipe my fingers on my hair.

johnpost
09-28-2010, 03:59 PM
heh. We have 3 dogs. One of the things they are taught is that they cannot eat anything without first sitting, and then being told, "OK, eat". They are 95% perfect with this.

95% perfect with chicken?

El Nene
09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm a terrible dish washer. I tend to use the same plate/cooking pots multiple times in a day, and a bit of whatever left over from the last meal doesn't bug me at all.

Me too. I've gotten some pretty good flavor combos this way. Unfortunately, they can never be reproduced.

I do the same with one glass that I like to drink from. It gets washed once a week tops.

Yllaria
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
I have eated more than one raw hot dog. My Father, bless his germophobe soul, would have screamed.

Tortuga
09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Oops, I do pretty much all these with the exception of drinking from the milk carton and I wash my water glasses more often.

I pick my nose. I used to have a dog that liked to eat boogers and would actually try to go in to your nose after them and I just haven't broken the habit since he passed away.

I picked up a dead mouse and threw it away without gloves on and when I came back into the house from the garden I forgot to wash my hands before I sat back at the computer. I remembered pretty quickly, but still. I imagine my phone is even filthier than my computer though. Sometimes I forget to wash my hands right away after coming in from feeding the chickens and gathering eggs.

I don't flush the toilet when I get up in the middle of the night to pee. It seems wasteful and noisy as my husband is a light sleeper when I'm not next to him in bed (it's the weirdest thing) plus we run off solar power and have a well so flushing sometimes triggers the pressure pump.

We let our dogs sleep in bed and allow them up on the furniture.

As to the grill: somewhere I saw a tip about using an onion half on a barbecue fork to clean the hot grill, before and after. I haven't tried it myself but it has to be more pleasant than using crumpled tinfoil, I hate that sound. And the grease that builds up on barbecue brushes grosses me out and is a pain to clean.

Cat Whisperer
09-28-2010, 05:18 PM
According to the USDA, (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/hot_dogs/index.asp) eating raw hot dogs is not the most dangerous thing you can do, since they are cooked/smoked already. You can apparently still get Listeria monocytogenes (Listeriosis) from them, though.

I have various degrees of unsanitariness, but I do try to be scrupulous with raw meats and cooking. My cats aren't allowed anywhere where I prepare food or eat, which, funnily enough, doesn't extend to the dining room table because we never eat there.

Tortuga: If it's brown, flush it down. If it's yellow, let it mellow. :) We could save an awful lot of water in the world by following that rule.

Anne Neville
09-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I touch my face a lot.

I don't worry too much about pre-rinsing dishes. I insist on using Cascade Complete detergent, which advertises that you don't have to pre-rinse. I might stick a dish under running water before putting it in the dishwasher, but it has to be pretty dire for me to do any scrubbing. I hate scrubbing dishes, and I'll soak instead if at all possible.

I wash my hands pretty much only if I've touched something gross or used the bathroom, or am about to touch uncooked food (I try to keep contact between my hands and uncooked food to a bare minimum, since I'm squeamish).

My counters are rather cluttered, and don't get wiped down unless something gets spilled. OTOH, I never put uncooked food directly on the counter- it's always in a dish or on a cutting board.

I don't care if there's cat hair around, unless someone who's allergic to cats is coming over. And even then, I only worry about the furniture that they're likely to come into contact with. The cats' tower in the dining room is covered in cat hair, and I feel no particular need to do anything about it since people don't generally touch it.

I vacuum or mop when the floor becomes crunchy or adhesive, or when something gets spilled. Otherwise, those things only happen when our housecleaner comes, every two weeks.

There is a mountain of laundry, both mine and his, in our bedroom.

There are always some books on the floor next to my side of the bed.

There is a pile of toiletries, medicines, etc., beside the toilet in our master bathroom. Some of them are also on the bookshelf just outside the bathroom door. We don't have a vanity, where am I supposed to put that stuff?

The cats aren't allowed on the counters or the dining room table. But if they do get up there, they just get shooed off. I don't wipe down the area where they were, or anything like that.

I want to wash the glasses more often than Mr. Neville does. He doesn't like it when I take a glass that he was planning to re-use and put it in the dishwasher. Please tell me that somebody died of leprosy or something from re-using a drinking glass, so I can be right.

My mother always told me that uncooked hot dogs weren't really raw, so it was OK to eat them, if a little weird (I liked raw hot dogs, as a kid).

moejoe
09-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Me too!

nashiitashii
09-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I pee in the shower.
It's almost an automatic ritual for me; I get in the shower, I usually pee. When in a public shower stall, I pee on my feet to help prevent athlete's foot.
I freely taste straight from the stirring-spoon when I'm cooking for myself.

I also taste straight from the stirring spoon if it's only for me, my husband or the dogs, and have been known to scrub something in a half-assed way if I am just going to be cooking in it straightaway. I'm also bad about leaving dirty pans on the stove or in the sink for longer than I should.
Sometimes I let the dog pre rinse the dishes.
My dogs know the command "Clean up, aisle floor" and will come running. I let them eat food off the floor when I'm cooking as long as it's not dangerous for them (i.e. things that make them sick or spicy stuff).

MPB in Salt Lake
09-28-2010, 06:06 PM
When I go out for a meal and bring leftovers home, if I plan on eating the food later that same day, (even if it won't be for several hours afterwards) I never put it in the fridge, I just let it sit at room temp. as I think that many foods have better taste and texture if not cooked, then cooled, then reheated again.........

I don't eat any meat or poultry products, and I never have had a problem with food poisoning.

Of course if it's something that will be eaten chilled (pasta salad, shrimp cocktail) it goes in the fridge ASAP.

ShelliBean
09-28-2010, 06:12 PM
To the people wiping their hands on their hair: just... why? Even if you don't have a napkin in your lap while eating (as nature intended), surely it would be preferable to use your jeans or something rather than your hair.

moejoe
09-28-2010, 06:36 PM
To the people wiping their hands on their hair: just... why? Even if you don't have a napkin in your lap while eating (as nature intended), surely it would be preferable to use your jeans or something rather than your hair.

Really dry hair, so the grease has benefits. Wiping my hands on my jeans just seems...gross.

Yllaria
09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
. . . My mother always told me that uncooked hot dogs weren't really raw, so it was OK to eat them, if a little weird (I liked raw hot dogs, as a kid).

Thanks to everyone who submitted this information, but he would have never believed it. Or rather, would never have trusted it. Once something was a major fear and/or something he had been railing about in the past, there was no changing the edict.

In a way, it's kind of cool. I can be completely and totally transgressive just by eating a raw wiener. Or putting my arm out the window of a moving car.

Oh, and sorry about the 'eated', it was a typo, not LOLspeak.

Anne Neville
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't worry about raw meat contaminating stuff until the package is opened. I figure, if it's contained in plastic and no juices are dripping out of the package, no raw meat ickies can get out of it. I don't wash my hands after touching said packages, worry about what I touch in the grocery store or at home after touching them, or worry about them being in the bag with other stuff.

Mr. Neville does at least under some circumstances, and we're arguing about it now. I put some raw meat (wrapped in plastic and not leaking) in the drawer with some pears (that were in their own plastic container). There was contact between the plastic container the pears are in and the plastic around the meat, but no more direct contact than that. He now won't eat the pears unless they're cooked. Avoiding cross contamination is all well and good, but I think he's being neurotic.

Knowing what dogs can get into, I've never understood why people let them lick their faces.

Because it means they love us!

Seriously, you've got to be a lot more likely to catch something nasty from kissing or having oral sex with another human, and people who shudder at the idea of dogs or cats licking their faces do those things.

kayT
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
I refuse to say all the things I do that are unsanitary because I don't want to get yelled at. Some of the least horrifying: I don't use a paper towel to open the door in public restrooms and I don't hover to pee.

even sven
09-28-2010, 11:00 PM
If I see a bug, I usually try to leave the room for a while to see if it hides before I get a chance to kill it.

Joey P
09-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I don't worry about raw meat contaminating stuff until the package is opened. I figure, if it's contained in plastic and no juices are dripping out of the package, no raw meat ickies can get out of it. I don't wash my hands after touching said packages, worry about what I touch in the grocery store or at home after touching them, or worry about them being in the bag with other stuff.

You're probably safe with that when you buy stuff that comes from the factory already wrapped. Mostly because of things like HAACP and inspections, but also because of they way they are wrapped. Typically it's wrapped in a tunnel system where someone puts the product on a tray and puts it on a conveyor belt which automates the wrapping process and the inside shouldn't ever touch the outside. Of course there can always be problems. It's the stuff that gets wrapped in the store that can be the problem. At my store, when we first started carrying some raw meats that we packaged, I had to explain how to wrap it. See, they thought they were doing a good job. Wash hands, wear gloves etc etc... The problem was, (to make a long story short) the way they were handling the products, raw meat still made it's way to the outside of the package. I've since corrected them and they now do it in such a way that it shouldn't happen.

Personally, I still keep it all separated. Raw meat stays in a bag (even if it's wrapped) and on the lowest shelf of the fridge so that if it does leak, it doesn't ruin as many things.

Having said that. If the bag with the chicken touched the bag with the pears, I probably wouldn't be to worked up about it.

Green Cymbeline
09-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I let my cats get up on the kitchen counters and any tables as they please. I also let them lick my plate as I am eating from it, and I share my food with them, if they want some. For example, one cat loves yogurt, so I let her lick from my spoon; or I'll let them drink the milk from my cereal.

Most of you will think these things are really gross, but cat people will understand.

Cat Whisperer
09-28-2010, 11:20 PM
<snip>
Mr. Neville does at least under some circumstances, and we're arguing about it now. I put some raw meat (wrapped in plastic and not leaking) in the drawer with some pears (that were in their own plastic container). There was contact between the plastic container the pears are in and the plastic around the meat, but no more direct contact than that. He now won't eat the pears unless they're cooked. Avoiding cross contamination is all well and good, but I think he's being neurotic.<snip>
If you're talking meat from the butcher at the grocery store in the saran wrapped packages, yeah, those packages can and do leak. I wouldn't put them in with my pears. I wouldn't insist on cooking the pears, though - I'd just give them a good wash.

You probably need to learn more about the nasties you can get from raw meat - I read a case study about a guy who cut a contaminated raw pork sausage with a knife, used that same knife to butter some bread and ate it, and died from it. There's a very good reason that we have developed the safe meat handling practices that we have. From this site (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/f/food_poisoning/stats.htm) - Although most foodborne infections are undiagnosed and unreported, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that every year about 76 million people in the United States become ill from pathogens in food. Of these, up to 5,000 die. I'm not saying we should all stop eating everything because of fear, but being properly educated and using good kitchen hygiene is not a bad idea (and that includes not storing raw meat with fruits and vegetables).

Joey P
09-28-2010, 11:23 PM
You probably need to learn more about the nasties you can get from raw meat - I read a case study about a guy who cut a contaminated raw pork sausage with a knife, used that same knife to butter some bread and ate it, and died from it. There's a very good reason that we have developed the safe meat handling practices that we have. From this site (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/f/food_poisoning/stats.htm) - Although most foodborne infections are undiagnosed and unreported, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that every year about 76 million people in the United States become ill from pathogens in food. Of these, up to 5,000 die. I'm not saying we should all stop eating everything because of fear, but being properly educated and using good kitchen hygiene is not a bad idea (and that includes not storing raw meat with fruits and vegetables).

There was a Sizzler up the road from us. A toddler picked up salmonella from a watermelon. She didn't survive. They had used the same knife to cut chicken before hand. This is the very definition of cross contamination.

Hilarity N. Suze
09-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Eat stuff from the floor, check. But the main thing is that I never clean my coffee cup at work. Well...hardly ever. I dump it and add new coffee. The new coffee is hot, therefore it will kill any leftover germs, besides, it's coffee.

I put raw eggs into my cookie dough, and then I eat the dough. Not all the dough, of course. But I always eat some.

My cats very rarely get on the dining room table or the counters. But they often sit with their little butts on the coffee table, and it gets wiped a lot less often than the counters and dining room table. Of course we also don't really eat off it that often, but it does happen.

Maiira
09-29-2010, 01:08 AM
My dogs know the command "Clean up, aisle floor" and will come running. I let them eat food off the floor when I'm cooking as long as it's not dangerous for them (i.e. things that make them sick or spicy stuff).

That's awesome. :D

I'm also an unabashed serving spoon taster. I sometimes eat stuff off the floor, unless it's a "wet" thing (like a piece of meat), or the floor in question is carpeted (because then there are cat hairs, which is just plain gross).

I'm a shower pee-er, too, though funnily enough I haven't done it in quite awhile. I guess I've just gotten more into the habit of peeing before I shower. If I have to go, though, I won't hesitate.

anya marie
09-29-2010, 02:09 AM
I pee in the shower. At home i don't always wash my hands after using the toilet. I wash my hair twice a week. If it's yellow I let it mellow.

I taste from the cooking spoon sometimes. There is cat hair on the furniture and they sllep on the beds.

I eat bites of cookie dough and taste the ricotta after i've added an egg and a dash of basil

Green Cymbeline
09-29-2010, 02:47 AM
I put raw eggs into my cookie dough, and then I eat the dough. Not all the dough, of course. But I always eat some.Yes I do this all the time too. Also with cake batter.

lshaw
09-29-2010, 03:11 AM
I consume lots of raw eggs. Whenever I eat shabu shabu / hot pot, I dip the meat directly into raw egg mixed with shacha sauce, or just the raw egg alone. I probably consume at least three raw eggs per shabu shabu / hot pot meal.

Mama Zappa
09-29-2010, 06:04 AM

Heh... I'm not quite as bad as that (for one, I don't grill nearly as often as you do) but I leave the grime on the bars also. Next time I go to use the grill, I go out with a bowl of water as it heats up. and spend a minute or so scrubbing the obvious residue off the top of the grill surface. That way I'm not getting charred bits of last week's burgers in this week's chicken.

Clean it *after* use? Hell, I'm too busy chowing down and then it's dark!

Oh - and you clean the flavor bars??? I think I've cleaned ours maybe once.

Aspidistra
09-29-2010, 06:55 AM
I unashamedly drink from family members' glasses if I'm pouring/passing their drinks. I eat their leftovers too.

I use my bra as a pocket for keys and phone. This includes when I'm sweating it out at the gym.

Also, at least 66% of foibles already listed above...

Uncommon Sense
09-29-2010, 07:17 AM
I pee in the shower.
I assume your taking a shower when you do this?;)
Me too.
I think our immune systems need to be taxed at all times to stay in tip-top shape. :D

Nothing much scares me but I tend to be just clean enough to not freak out the others living with me.

kayaker
09-29-2010, 07:30 AM

95% perfect with chicken?

Chicken, steak, liver (liver was the training tool initially). It is kind of amazing what you can train a dog to do, given sufficient repetition. The 5% failures are all the same dog, and she is kind of ADHD, canine version.:D

Oh, and i consume a coupla raw eggs each week, mainly blended in smoothie drinks. The chickens are our own and the eggs are delicious.

Aspidistra
09-29-2010, 07:42 AM

I must admit, I don't really understand this one though. I try to arrange my cooking activities so that I just don't touch meat with my hands at all. But even if you don't, wouldn't you wash your hands immediately after transferring the meat to the pan? Because they're all gross and icky and slimy feeling? Unless you're talking about rubbing the spices in while the meat is on the chopping board?

kayaker
09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
I try to arrange my cooking activities so that I just don't touch meat with my hands at all.

Hmmm. I handle my meat frequently while cooking. No, seriously. How do you tell when steaks are done? I constantly press down on the meat to assess degree of doneness, then lick the finger(s) that touched the meat.

Aspidistra
09-29-2010, 08:11 AM
I try to arrange my cooking activities so that I just don't touch meat with my hands at all.

Hmmm. I handle my meat frequently while cooking. No, seriously. How do you tell when steaks are done? I constantly press down on the meat to assess degree of doneness, then lick the finger(s) that touched the meat.

With the implement I used to turn it over (egg slice or tongs, generally). I rests lightly on the edge of the pan inbetweentimes.

El Nene
09-29-2010, 08:19 AM
I forgot about the nose picking. I'm a horrible nose picker. Most of the time I don't even know I'm doing it, then some poor soul will walk past my cubicle and get this horrified look in their face. If I don't like the person, I just keep picking.

I'll tell you one thing. I'm never going to any of your houses. I mean, I know we basically all do the same gross things but my germs are mine. Yours are repulsive ;)

El Nene
09-29-2010, 08:21 AM

That is a really big no-no. You're squeezing all the juices out dummy! Get a timer.

lieu
09-29-2010, 08:28 AM
If I don't like the person, I just keep picking.And then what?

Onto a Kleenex and into the bin or
flying through the air like a seed (http://www.treegrowersdiary.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/OGRMhelicopterseeds.jpg) that'll spin?

otternell
09-29-2010, 08:31 AM
We are dog people, so there are all sorts of dog issues that gross out non-dog people. They sleep in our bed. However, we have two top sheets, so that we try to keep one sheet between human and dog (it doesn't always work, as they like to be under the covers with their peoples). Mostly this is because one of our dogs has coarse hair and its a little irritating to rub against during the night.

Yes, my dogs lick my face. No, I don't think its gross, however, I do pay attention to what they were just doing, and if it involved licking their butt, then I shove them away. If they just got a drink of water, I encourage kisses - nothing beats a fresh water kiss from my Skip! Skip is a crazy licker, when we get home from being gone all day, he goes crazy with the licking and if you aren't careful he will lick up your nose and in your ear.

We are very particular about handwashing in the kitchen. Touch meat, wash hands. Touch onion or pepper, wash hands (though this is mainly because I rub my eyes).

overlyverbose
09-29-2010, 09:20 AM
I must admit, I don't really understand this one though. I try to arrange my cooking activities so that I just don't touch meat with my hands at all. But even if you don't, wouldn't you wash your hands immediately after transferring the meat to the pan? Because they're all gross and icky and slimy feeling? Unless you're talking about rubbing the spices in while the meat is on the chopping board?

I'm referring to rubbing the spices in while it's still on the block. If it's in the pan/on the grill/in the oven or even in the marinade, I don't generally touch it again, and if I do, I wash my hands afterward. It's when I'm in the middle of rubbing spices in, then have to put a different spice on and maybe forgot to just set some aside that I'll simply grab the spice jar after wiping.

Fortunately, I rarely cook meat - I have nothing against it, I just get lazy. I tend to associate cooking meat with very dry hands, since I normally do wash my hands with each contact; it's the occasional grab for spices when I sometimes fail to wash.

Oh, and another thing, I don't clean my daughter's hands after going to the supermarket. I've had horrified people stare at me as though I were dipping my daughter in fresh poo when I don't have one of those special covers for the seat in the cart; I really don't care if her hands come in direct contact with the cart. I justify it by telling myself that she's in daycare anyway and has a brother in preschool - she's going to get germs one way or the other, and the thought of a shopping cart squicks me out a lot less than the thought of what she could potentially be touching at daycare if a kid gets sick. I don't think about it much, though.

overlyverbose
09-29-2010, 09:25 AM
I refuse to say all the things I do that are unsanitary because I don't want to get yelled at. Some of the least horrifying: I don't use a paper towel to open the door in public restrooms and I don't hover to pee.

I don't use a paper towel to open the door either. I still remember when that became common just a few years ago (maybe around 2000? earlier?), and it seemed so ridiculous. It seems slightly less so now because it's so common, but I still don't do it.

I'm also of the belief that the people who hover when they pee are the ones peeing all over the toilet seat, thereby making said seat far dirtier for everyone. If there's nothing on the seat, I just sit down. If there's something on the seat, I'll wipe it off with some TP and probably use a liner or TP on the seat, but I'm not fanatic about it.

Joey P
09-29-2010, 09:33 AM

I try not to touch it either. I can usually cut the package open with a knife and let the meat fall right in the pan, then I go and toss the knife in the dishwasher right away. When I do have to handle raw meat, I usually just put on a pair of disposable latex food service gloves and throw them away as soon as I'm done. No hand washing AND no contamination.

LouisB
09-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Me too!Copy cat.

panache45
09-29-2010, 12:15 PM
One of my cats likes to "groom" me. If I'm in bed she likes to lick my feet or legs. If I'm watching tv, she'll hop up next to me and lick my arm or hand. The thing is, I like how it feels, so I don't stop her. And yes, I wash myself afterward.

I try not to think about where else that tongue has been.

kayaker
09-29-2010, 02:45 PM

That is a really big no-no. You're squeezing all the juices out dummy! Get a timer.

Timer? For grilling steaks/fillets? I've always cooked meat by feel, and always serve the meat perfectly done to the person's request. Plus, I can taste how the marinade is doing. Seriously, how could I use a timer when the heat source is variable?

panache45
09-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm sure virtually everyone picks their nose from time to time. But how many of you use a q-tip when the finger can't get everything? It's become an art, getting the q-tip to grab something and pull it out, rather than pushing it farther in.

lindsaybluth
09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
overly, I used to cross-contaminate with meat. I have a solution that doesn't compromise laziness! These gloves (http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/gloves/CleanCuisine.asp) are thin and I use 'em to handle meat, and if I need to touch something else I just slip one of them off to touch something. Then just toss them, and the meat never directly touches your hands either.

The Devil's Grandmother
09-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Mr. Neville does at least under some circumstances, and we're arguing about it now. I put some raw meat (wrapped in plastic and not leaking) in the drawer with some pears (that were in their own plastic container). There was contact between the plastic container the pears are in and the plastic around the meat, but no more direct contact than that. He now won't eat the pears unless they're cooked. Avoiding cross contamination is all well and good, but I think he's being neurotic.

Well, maybe he just wants you to make poached pears in wine sauce and invite me over. :cool:

Tethered Kite
09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Some rules about cleanliness have been revised a few times in my lifetime. So it's hard to keep up with what is safe and what is not.

I was always taught to not eat anything off of the floor. Not even off of the kitchen table, for goodness sakes. The I heard about the five-second rule. Five is what I was told. And I changed my habits.

It's worth saying that I wash my kitchen floor a couple of times a week. Not because I'm super consciencious but because the floor is cream-colored and shows every spot.

Recently I heard on public radio that the , um, five-second rule no longer applies and you shouldn't eat anything dropped on the floor. So I've come full circle. Go figure.

Don't eat bacon undercooked switched to don't eat bacon overcooked.

Butter on a burn turned to ice on a burn.

You think you know the truth of a matter and then THEY do a study and change the rules.

Did I mention that being hyper clean can be bad for your immune system? Who knew?

purplehorseshoe
09-29-2010, 04:49 PM

I don't use a paper towel to open the door either. I still remember when that became common just a few years ago (maybe around 2000? earlier?), and it seemed so ridiculous. It seems slightly less so now because it's so common, but I still don't do it.

I'm also of the belief that the people who hover when they pee are the ones peeing all over the toilet seat, thereby making said seat far dirtier for everyone. If there's nothing on the seat, I just sit down. If there's something on the seat, I'll wipe it off with some TP and probably use a liner or TP on the seat, but I'm not fanatic about it.

Overly, you can be my friend. I'll even use the bathroom after you!

Anne Neville
09-29-2010, 06:17 PM
The cats sleep in our bed. Or, as I sometimes say, we have a queen-sized cat bed that they allow us to sleep in.

The cats are allowed on the furniture, with the exception of the dining room table and kitchen counters.

When we're cooking chicken, turkey, beef, or fish, the cats get a little bit raw, on a paper plate on the floor. Most things we cook have onions or garlic in them, so we can't give the cats our cooked food. I think Luna's favorite food is raw ground turkey, and Katya's is sushi-grade ahi.

When we have sour cream, Luna gets to lick off the sour cream spoon. The spoon goes directly into the sink after this- it doesn't go back into the sour cream. That would be disgusting.

We don't make the bed. I say this is for the cats, because they like to lie on sheets that smell like their humans (Katya loves to lie on stuff that smells like us). But really, I didn't make the bed even before we got the cats. There's some new research showing that not making your bed might be more sanitary than making it (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4181629.stm), because unmade beds are less hospitable to dust mites. So this one might get downgraded to just a sloppy habit, rather than an unsanitary one.

I sometimes eat while sitting in front of my computer (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-563110/How-keyboard-FIVE-TIMES-dirtier-toilet-seat--qwerty-tummy.html), and use the computer while eating. When I'm employed, I eat at my desk and use the computer while I'm eating almost every day.

I don't wash the sheets or towels as often as I should. I am trying to work on this.

These are the opposite of unsanitary habits. These are things that normal people do. Hovering is a disgusting and unsanitary habit, especially if you get something on the toilet seat and don't wipe it up afterward. Using a paper towel on the restroom door isn't unsanitary, but it's weird.

Aspidistra
09-29-2010, 06:39 PM

I have absolutely never seen anybody use a paper towel to open the bathroom door, and I'd laugh like a banshee at anybody I caught doing it.

Same goes for having a seat cover on a supermarket trolley's kid seat.

If those ridiculous habits ever catch on over here, I'm holding anyone who ever mentioned them on Teh Internets personally responsible :p

overlyverbose
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Overly, you can be my friend. I'll even use the bathroom after you!

Awesome! I'll see you in the bathroom. Wait...that sounds weird.

Thanks for the link lindsaybluth - anything that helps me maintain my laziness is a good thing.

And Aspidistra, if you ever see someone using a paper towel to open the bathroom door after washing hands, warn me, ok? That way I can hide.

Mama Zappa
09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
I have absolutely never seen anybody use a paper towel to open the bathroom door, and I'd laugh like a banshee at anybody I caught doing it.

I've seen this one and it actually makes sense. After all, I know that I've washed my hands, and if I've got a cold or whatever, well, I've already got those germs. However, I don't know anything about the last lady who opened the bathroom door. Did she wash? is she carrying Ebola? Last thing I want is to pick up someone else's germs on my hand and convey them directly to my inner nasal cavities...

or, er, whatever I touch next.

Not that I routinely do the towel/door handle thing; for the most part I consider it all a part of having a vibrant immune system. I don't get sick all that often anyway.

MLS
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
I used to have a cow-orker who not only used a paper towel to open the lavatory door, but THREW IT ON THE FLOOR behind her afterwards. Because her completely sterile hands should not touch that horrid object that had **actually touched a surface that someone else had once touched.** I'm sure she's the one who left piss on the toilet seat.

I am glad to hear that not making the bed is more sanitary. I rarely do that unless we have company coming. Mostly because my husband is still IN the bed when I leave for work, and when I get home, well, why bother since I'm going to be back there in a few hours anyway. Obviously the unmade bed doesn't bother Himself either.

We let our cats everywhere. On the bed, on the table, whatever. I don't let them near my work area when I'm cooking though, because yuk, who want's cat fur in the casserole?

purplehorseshoe
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I used to have a cow-orker who not only used a paper towel to open the lavatory door, but THREW IT ON THE FLOOR behind her afterwards. Because her completely sterile hands should not touch that horrid object that had **actually touched a surface that someone else had once touched.** I'm sure she's the one who left piss on the toilet seat. ...

What a bitch. Seriously.

Silver Tyger
09-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I use my pants as a napkin.

I share drinking glasses with, well, anybody that's okay with it. Mostly my mom. I'll share a plate with people too.

I'll share a flask with pretty much anybody (but mostly just my Guild). It's alcohol, it's sterile, right? (no)

I eat food that falls on the floor, if the floor is reasonably clean.

I eat quite a few meals on the couch. If I can, when I'm having breakfast I'll have one of the cats in my lap and I feed her cheerios.

I don't always wash my hands after I use the restroom. (I do wash them before I cook or set the table or something like that).

I don't change my sheets nearly as often as I should. I tend to put off laundry until I'm out of something.

kayT
09-30-2010, 02:15 PM
All of your confessions have encouraged me to admit that I have never in my life used a toilet seat cover. If the seat looks that dirty I wipe it off, go someplace else, or just hold it.

I do make the bed, however. Does that mean I even out and am not totally slovenly?

ETA: I am 63 so evidently not using seat covers won't actually kill you.

Anne Neville
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
And Aspidistra, if you ever see someone using a paper towel to open the bathroom door after washing hands, warn me, ok? That way I can hide.

No. If we see someone doing that, we should all point and laugh!

All of your confessions have encouraged me to admit that I have never in my life used a toilet seat cover. If the seat looks that dirty I wipe it off, go someplace else, or just hold it.

Yes! There's a roll of paper right there that could be used for wiping purposes. And then there's a handy toilet you could throw it into.

I lost my seat cover virginity on a recent trip to Chicago. I used a public restroom somewhere on the turnpike between here and there that had an automatic toilet seat cover changer. I am NOT making this up, as Dave Barry used to say. I thought it was totally ridiculous and environmentally unfriendly (think of all the trash or extra sewage it generates). At least I don't think it was in Pennsylvania, so my tax dollars probably were not wasted on this stupid concession to some people's germophobia.