PDA

View Full Version : California Tourism TV Commercial

notfrommensa
11-04-2010, 12:04 AM
There's a relatively new California Tourism commercial. Its starts with Kim Kardashian reading a quantum physics book. The Jonas Brothers are at Disney World and Betty White is driving a golf cart on a movie set.

But there are two people on the commercial that look very familiar but I can't place them.

first there a girl skier, who says "They think we're all surfers"

and then it cuts to a blond headed surfer dude who say: "or celebrities"

My google skills are not so good tonight. Is the girl skier and the surfer dude famous? Or just some random actors?

Icarus
11-04-2010, 12:15 AM
This article has the cast list:

California Tourism Commercial 2010 (http://www.travelpapa.com/news/2010-10-07/4238-california-travel-and-tourism.html)

notfrommensa
11-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks, that article give me the skier, Shannon Bahrke. An Olympic skier.

But it doesn't list the blond surfer guy.

Here is a bad youtube of the commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOamijjgdc

Jophiel
11-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Man, that commercial always leaves me with the impression that everyone in California is a pretentious douche. "We're not all driving convertibles... except me! Tee-hee!" Makes me want to find everyone in the state and slap them.

Disclaimer: I realize that not everyone in CA is a pretentious douche nor do they need slapping. It's the commercial that makes it seem so.

interface2x
11-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I get the same feeling from these commercials. "Come to California because I'm rich!"

WOOKINPANUB
11-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Man, that commercial always leaves me with the impression that everyone in California is a pretentious douche. "We're not all driving convertibles... except me! Tee-hee!" Makes me want to find everyone in the state and slap them.

Disclaimer: I realize that not everyone in CA is a pretentious douche nor do they need slapping. It's the commercial that makes it seem so.

It's okay; I grew up in SoCal and they grate on me too(and I loooooove it and am grateful my parents raised me there). Those ads make it live up to it's own stereotype.

dangermom
11-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I get the same feeling from these commercials. "Come to California because I'm rich!"
And we really are feeling sooo wealthy these days...

Greg Charles
11-04-2010, 01:09 PM
While I'd gladly stand in line to be slapped by Jophiel, I want to clear up some misconceptions. We're not all pretentious douchebags! It's just that due to some pesky cash flow issues, we'd like everybody to come visit, spend all your money here, then take someone with you when you leave.

Gangster Octopus
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Wow, you guys really read a lot into the commercial. What are they supposed to show?

Morgenstern
11-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Wow, you guys really read a lot into the commercial. What are they supposed to show?

I'm thinking boobs.

Morbo
11-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Res ad is here (www.visitcalifornia.com/misconceptions).

I can't find an article that lists who the surfer is, nor do I think everyone in the ad is famous, but I *think* the surfer is 80's actor Billy Zabka.

Jophiel
11-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Something besides rich people saying, one after the other, "We're not all this wonderful!... but this next guy is!"

Greg Charles, I'm not taking Betty White home with me if that's what you're asking.

Gangster Octopus
11-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Something besides rich people saying, one after the other, "We're not all this wonderful!... but this next guy is!"

Greg Charles, I'm not taking Betty White home with me if that's what you're asking.

Rich people? Yes, there were celebs, but I saw a commercial with folks skiing and hanging out on the beach, and hiking. You make it sound like folks were on huge yachts, sipping champagne and smoking cigars with lit 100 dollar bills.

kunilou
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM

The irony. . . it BURNS!

Slithy Tove
11-04-2010, 07:09 PM
I see California also hopes to make a few extra bucks by ticketing tourists who've been beguiled into violating the mandatory seatbelt law.

notfrommensa
11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Res ad is here (www.visitcalifornia.com/misconceptions).

I can't find an article that lists who the surfer is, nor do I think everyone in the ad is famous, but I *think* the surfer is 80's actor Billy Zabka.

Maybe Back to School is where I remember the surfer dude. But I can't believe the surfer dude in the commercial is 45 yrs old.

Morbo
11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Maybe Back to School is where I remember the surfer dude. But I can't believe the surfer dude in the commercial is 45 yrs old.

He looked like he'd been taking care of himself when I saw him in Hot Tub Time Machine.

JpnDude
11-05-2010, 01:03 AM
For the past couple of years, they have shown a California tourism commercial on Japanese TV.

It starts with the shots of a pair of Japanese women walking along an LA beach and then on the Golden Gate Bridge. The Japanese narration says, "California is more than just the classic tourist areas." Then it proceeds to other parts of the state (e.g., Yosemite, Napa Valley, Death Valley, etc.).

It ends with Gov. Schwarzenegger (with a Japanese voiceover) saying, "California, Nandemo-arifornia!" (California, Everything's here!). I heard the voice actor is the same as in his Terminator films.

Yookeroo
11-06-2010, 02:44 PM
The Jonas Brothers are at Disney World

That's one way to drive tourists to Disneyland. It certainly would work for me.

Zuri
10-21-2011, 06:04 PM
The surfer/actor is Ben Curtis represented by Zuri Model and Talent Agency, Inc. in Los Angeles, CA

Biggirl
10-21-2011, 06:39 PM
The surfer dude isn't famous. That's why he says "or are celebrities" because all Californians are not celebrities and he represents those un-celebrities.

And remember, just because you're not a celebrity in California doesn't mean you can go walking around looking like a normal human.

Voyager
10-21-2011, 08:42 PM
The commercial in question was made to replace the one with the Governator. It's clearly playing off all the stereotypes about California. You'd rather have one with a bunch of schlubs?

Miller
10-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Man, that commercial always leaves me with the impression that everyone in California is a pretentious douche.

That's really an unfair portrayal of California. We have all kinds of douches out here, not just pretentious ones.

voguevixen
10-22-2011, 12:20 AM

No, I live in NoCal (not by choice) and everyone here is a pretentious douchebag.

devilsknew
10-22-2011, 05:06 AM
I just want to know, who is the Hot Nappy Bikini girl, after the Shamu wetsuit San Diego Girl, that she set up.

Gangster Octopus
10-22-2011, 12:15 PM
No, I live in NoCal (not by choice) and everyone here is a pretentious douchebag.

I also live in Northern California and think you are completely wrong. I also lived in Southern California and shocker 99% of people are just normal folks with normal jobs and normal families.

John Mace
10-22-2011, 01:22 PM
You're all just jealous. It's going to be in the 80s here today, the sun is shining, and the grape harvest is in. I'm playing golf over near the ocean in Aptos (that's near Santa Cruz, for you foreigners). Ciao! :cool:

Catfood Purrito
10-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Am not.

I'm in Redding, and there are relatively few pretentious douchebags here...which is not to say that we don't have hordes of douchebags, we totally do, but not the pretentious kind.

John Mace
10-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Am not.

I'm in Redding, and there are relatively few pretentious douchebags here...which is not to say that we don't have hordes of douchebags, we totally do, but not the pretentious kind.

That's not NorCal. That's Oregon. :)