PDA

View Full Version : I found a tree stand near my house. What should I do with it?

Walkabout
11-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I live in a fairly suburban area, but my yard butts up against some wooded land belonging to the University. There are houses all along the fence line to the west, where my house is, and a hospital to the south (up the hill) just about 100 yards. To the north the woods continue down the hill to a corn field, about 1/2 mile away, and to the east there are more houses about a mile or two away.

I needed to dump some ashes from my smoker, so I went just a little ways into the woods to dispose of them there. There I found a tree stand attached to a tree no more than 25 yards into the woods. From the base of the tree I could see the upper story of my house.

We have thrown out corn for the deer periodically for some time, and we often see deer, turkey, and other wildlife just on the other side of the fence from the house. I am really uncomfortable with someone hunting the deer that I have lured in from a place within sight of my house and on land that is supposed to be closed for hunting.

What do you think I should do about the stand?

Poll to follow.

Crafter_Man
11-27-2010, 04:02 PM
First of all, it isn't your land. So it would be wrong to touch it.

Secondly, is it illegal for someone to hunt in those woods? If it concerns you, I would simply check w/ the university. Maybe the university gave someone permission to bow hunt or something.

Johnny L.A.
11-27-2010, 04:05 PM
on land that is supposed to be closed for hunting.

If it is not legal to hunt there, then it's a legal matter if someone is hunting there. You are not a cop/Fish & Wildlife agent. You don't know someone is hunting there. Maybe someone set up a tree stand to take pictures. Report it to the proper authorities. They can investigate to see if it's being used for illegal hunting, or for another (innocent) purpose.

EmAnJ
11-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Secondly, is it illegal for someone to hunt in those woods? If it concerns you, I would simply check w/ the university. Maybe the university gave someone permission to bow hunt or something.

If it's legal to hunt there (which is weird...is it common to be able to hunt near communities, or is this a really rural area?), leave it alone. They likely have permission to hunt in that area and you'd be damaging their property. If you're concerned, call your local hunter's association and ask.

ETA: Didn't see where you said it's supposed to be closed to hunting. Report is to Fish and Wildlife and leave it to them.

ZenBeam
11-27-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree with Johnny L.A.. Contact the University and tell them you're concerned about people hunting near you property. Ask them why it's there. It could easily be for someone doing research, studying the wildlife, not hunting at all, so don't destroy it.

If you see someone using it, you could play dumb, and ask them what they're doing (friendly, not confrontationally).

Johnny L.A.
11-27-2010, 04:21 PM
If you see someone using it, you could play dumb, and ask them what they're doing (friendly, not confrontationally).

This reminds me of the 'Nerd Wolves' The Far Side cartoon. A couple of wolves are hidden, ready to attack some prey. A nerdy-looking wolf comes up behind them and shouts, 'Hey! Hi, Guys! What are you doing?' (In a Jerry Lewis voice, in my head.)

Walkabout
11-27-2010, 04:21 PM

The land belongs to the University farm and they used to run cattle back there. I used to work for the University, and I know that hunting is not allowed, but I've heard of people doing it before. What bothers me is that it's so close to my and other houses.

I heard a gunshot the other day (before I found the tree stand), and I think now that it may have come from there.

carnivorousplant
11-27-2010, 04:22 PM
If it isn't your land, not only should you not disturb it, you shouldn't be dumping ashes. :)
However, have you read Red Dragon? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dragon_%28novel%29) The Tooth Fairy was checking out his victim's homes from a tree, so you may be righteously concerned that your home can be seen.

Harmonious Discord
11-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Call the authorities. You sure don't have any right to touch it.

even sven
11-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, I would toss it out and leave a note. Nobody has any business hunting that close to a house and if it is part of a legit research project, it should be labeled as such (and in any case, the chances of that are remarkably slim.) If you don't want your shit thrown out, don't leave it out in the open on semi-public land with no explanation.

Walkabout
11-27-2010, 05:22 PM
That's kind of how I feel about it. The chances of it being anything other than someone hunting where they're not supposed to is slim to none, and it would be a really weird place to do any kind of research. We recently had some trees cut down just on the other side of the fence from the house (with permission), and I think it might be one of the men that was involved in the cutting. We saw a nice 10-point back there a few weeks ago.

It seems to me that the stand is abandoned property.

aruvqan
11-27-2010, 05:26 PM
If it is on your own personal posted property, feel free to take it down. If it is on someone else's posted property, tell them so they can do whatever they like. If it is on public lands notify the proper animal control/wildlife control department for them to handle.

thelurkinghorror
11-27-2010, 05:27 PM
If you think that someone shouldn't be hunting on that land, then you also shouldn't be feeding them. Deer are supposed to be wildlife, not things you can handfeed. It makes them that much more likely to be car magnets as well. It is also illegal in some jurisdictions.

EmAnJ
11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Well, I would toss it out and leave a note. Nobody has any business hunting that close to a house and if it is part of a legit research project, it should be labeled as such (and in any case, the chances of that are remarkably slim.) If you don't want your shit thrown out, don't leave it out in the open on semi-public land with no explanation.

I disagree for a few reasons. First, that would be taking the law in to your own hands. Call the authorities and let them deal with it instead. Second, if it's on university property, I actually would be more inclined to think that it's an observation seat rather then for hunting. Third, those tree stands are expensive. Unless the guy is a moron, I would be surprised that anyone would leave it in a clearly illegal spot without a good reason for it.

Chimera
11-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Please, leave a note and tell me who you are. That way, if I have placed it there legally, I can have you arrested for destroying it, or at very least, take you to small claims court.

Not your land,
Not your stand,
Not your business.

Walkabout
11-27-2010, 06:41 PM
I disagree for a few reasons. First, that would be taking the law in to your own hands. Call the authorities and let them deal with it instead. Second, if it's on university property, I actually would be more inclined to think that it's an observation seat rather then for hunting. Third, those tree stands are expensive. Unless the guy is a moron, I would be surprised that anyone would leave it in a clearly illegal spot without a good reason for it.

This is not an area used for research. It belongs to the farms, but it's not currently used. There are a lot of morons around that just want to get a big buck without a lot of effort. They probably just thought no one would notice.

EmAnJ
11-27-2010, 06:54 PM
This is not an area used for research. It belongs to the farms, but it's not currently used. There are a lot of morons around that just want to get a big buck without a lot of effort. They probably just thought no one would notice.

Just report it to the university then. Don't put yourself in the position of possibly destroying or removing something that can legally be there.

even sven
11-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Eh. If it's there for legit reasons, I'd gladly pay double what it cost. I think the chances of that are basically zero.

boytyperanma
11-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Around me if someone was willing to set up and deal with the deer menace I'd consider leaving a thank you note.

Manda JO
11-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Normally, I have all the respect in the world for hunters, but this is obviously someone who is impulsive/kind of an idiot and has a gun. Do you really want to piss him off?

The consequences for hunting where it is prohibited tend to be harsh--far harsher than whatever punishment you could inflict by trashing his stand. Fish and Wildlife do NOT screw around with irresponsible hunters. Call them or let the University do it.

ratatoskK
11-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Report it to the landowner.

Chimera
11-27-2010, 07:28 PM
If it is owned by a University, chances are fair that they allow bow hunting on the property during Archery season. The regional park down the street from me is posted as being closed for this reason for 3 weekends of late. The U of M owns a bunch of land south of here that is regularly hunted, both Archery and Black Powder.

In several other places and times, due to overpopulation of deer in urban areas, they pay sharpshooters to come in and shoot the deer.

If the University uses it for agricultural testing, they have valid reasons to keep the deer population under control.

In short, let's not assume that this is not a legitimate hunter with a valid license and permission of the land owner.

Hello Again
11-27-2010, 07:30 PM
If you think that someone shouldn't be hunting on that land, then you also shouldn't be feeding them. Deer are supposed to be wildlife, not things you can handfeed. It makes them that much more likely to be car magnets as well. It is also illegal in some jurisdictions.
This. If the university is running cattle on the land as you say, they are likely to be twice as displeased at the OP for feeding deer and causing them to congregate near cattle, where they are a vector for bovine TB, than at a hunter for picking off one or two.

Feeding deer is illegal, to my knowledge, in New York State, Virginia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Colorado, California, and probably many other places I am not aware of. The State of Virginia explains why (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/news/release.asp?id=240).

Chronos
11-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Even if it is there for purposes of illegal hunting, you should still contact the university and let them handle it. Really, what can you do about it? If you take it down, then the hunters will just put up another one on a different tree and hope you don't find it. The university, though, could get the police involves, and they might be able to find out who did it and administer the appropriate punishment. We have police for a reason, after all: Don't try to do their job for them.

Plus, consider this: Even if the owner's purpose actually was hunting, what's to stop him from telling the cops that it was just for birdwatching, and calling you a thief or vandal? In that case, you could end up in trouble, deserved or not.

Susanann
11-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Not your land,
Not your stand,
Not your business.

+1

Rhythmdvl
11-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Not your land,
Not your stand,
Not your business.

I got the impression the land was only a short distance from the OP's house and community. Guns and houses are his business. Whether that justifies destroying it, planting a crop of poison ivy at the base of the stand or dumping a can of ticks in it is another story. But it is his business.

The consequences for hunting where it is prohibited tend to be harsh--far harsher than whatever punishment you could inflict by trashing his stand. Fish and Wildlife do NOT screw around with irresponsible hunters. Call them or let the University do it.

+1. If it is indeed illegal--and the university and/or game folk are in the best position to know that--they will likely serve more justice on the hunters than the OP can imagine (well, save the poison ivy bit). And take the OP's sense of proprietaryship (or whatever adjective you feel fits) with the deer because he puts out treats for them and multiply it by a hundredfold--all the fish and wildlife people I know (a lot, actually) take their stewardship over the animals very seriously.

jz78817
11-27-2010, 09:08 PM
another vote for informing the university and letting them deal with it.

And another vote for "stop feeding the damn deer."

NinetyWt
11-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Obviously the answer is to call the game warden. You could also notify the university if you wanted to, but the enforcement of game laws resides with the state. They will do whatever they need to do about it.

Shagnasty
11-27-2010, 09:39 PM

I was inclined to say not to do anything about it but you made a good point that would work better if there are real bads deeds going on. Game wardens as a general rule are about the biggest assholes in the law enforcement world who use their super-abilities of legal menace against such people if they are caught and they love to try. Their job is to stalk and hunt the illegal hunters and poachers which is a very dangerous job and they have more broad law enforcement powers than the police do. Turn it in as a tip and let them deal with it. They can confiscate property and prosecute for poaching with a prison sentence if there is something illegal going on. I have known a few people who's lives got turned upside down through illegal hunting and it is taken extremely seriously in most places. OTOH, it could be just a stand someone set up to hang out and watch nature. Let them decide.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
11-28-2010, 10:31 AM
A hunter? That close to a residential area?
Trash it.
Leave a note, telling why.

Skald the Rhymer
11-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Walkabout, may I ask why you are feeding the deer?

Johnny L.A.
11-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Of course, real hunters use a garrote.

Martin Hyde
11-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Reasons I wouldn't trash it:

1. You have absolutely no legal right to do so
2. Just because you worked for the university and you know specifically what that land is used for, isn't any sort of guarantee that it isn't now being used for research purposes.
3. In some areas deer overpopulation has become a very big concern. In some of those areas it has not been totally uncommon for local authorities (in this case perhaps a university that owns large tracts of rural/suburban land) to hire a professional hunter to thin out the deer population. This will often be done with a bow to minimize any risk to persons in the area.
4. Trashing it serves no purpose if it is being used for illegal hunting. If you actually, truly genuinely believe it is being used for illegal hunting (and I would be inclined to think there's probably a 3 out of 4 chance it is being used for illegal hunting) I would report it to the authorities. That will actually bring the criminal to justice. Trashing the tree stand will just mean the criminal will probably get mad and say "well, I won't hunt here again." Which means he'll just go on illegally hunting somewhere else. If this guy is illegally hunting he's a criminal and your societal responsibilities are to see that he's caught, not to destroy his property.

Also, as others have said putting out feed for deer is almost always a bad idea. It's prohibited in many states and wild life experts will tell you that it is wrong and stupid in pretty much every state and every situation.

Susanann
11-28-2010, 11:03 AM
What do you think I should do about the stand?

What do you do when you see other drivers speeding on the freeway?

Do you slow down to 55 and then block the passing lane ?

flickster
11-29-2010, 06:26 AM
First off, you should not be dumping your ashes improperly. You are making an ash of yourself.

As for the stand, you're being consistent and still making an ash of yourself.

You have no idea how, or when, it's being utilized.
The land does not belong to you.
The stand does not belong to you.

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Walkabout, may I ask why you are feeding the deer?

I throw out a couple of cups of corn maybe once or twice a week at most, just because I like seeing the deer and turkey. I generally only do this in the fall, and I keep it on the other side of the fence from where the houses are, so as not to tempt them into the yards. I like seeing them, but I like them staying on their side of the fence, not mine.

We had major problems with them a couple of years ago when our neighbor, whose yard is adjacent to ours but not adjacent to the woods, decided to put out corn in his yard. We had a continual stream of deer and turkey tromping through the yard, and they pretty much destroyed the grass that year.

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 06:58 AM
What do you do when you see other drivers speeding on the freeway?

Do you slow down to 55 and then block the passing lane ?

OK, that's a good point. I just shake my head and say "Idiot" when some moron flies by me.

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 07:05 AM
First off, you should not be dumping your ashes improperly. You are making an ash of yourself.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, how should ashes be disposed of? I've always thought that a small amount of ash is good for the soil, and I'd rather not add it to my garbage.

carnivorousplant
11-29-2010, 08:02 AM
At the risk of hijacking my own thread, how should ashes be disposed of? I've always thought that a small amount of ash is good for the soil, and I'd rather not add it to my garbage.

I believe some folks compost it.
Some save it to put on icy sidewalks.

Omar Little
11-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Then put it on your own soil, not your neighbors.

Sailboat
11-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Not your land,
Not your stand,
Not your business.

Yeah, and since bullets and arrows stop magically at your property line, the fact that it's right next to your land won't matter either. You're perfectly safe in your Second Amendment forcefield.

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Then put it on your own soil, not your neighbors.

I don't have neighbors. I have unused woods.

NinetyWt
11-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm kind of curious about what it's doing there. You will come back and let us know what you find out won't you?

lieu
11-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Another vote to do nothing except call the Game Warden. He's the one that will be able to address the legality of the stand and what, if anything, should be done to any persons using it.

Musicat
11-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't have neighbors. I have unused woods.You mean the land isn't owned by anyone? And their use of the land doesn't meet with your approval?

BobArrgh
11-29-2010, 09:55 AM

No, by your own admission, the land belongs to the University. They are your neighbor. You don't know what type of experiments are being conducted on that land. They could be doing soil analysis and by introducing the ashes into the land, you are potentially contaminating their experiment.

How would you feel if the University started dumping stuff in your back yard?

Once again, the property is not yours, and the wildlife is not yours. The wildlife probably does not belong to the University, either. In many jurisdictions, wildlife belongs to the state (i.e.: the People).

Therefore, call your local Game Warden / Department of Wildlife office. They are your legal representatives in these types of matters. You pay their salaries. Let them do the work you pay them to do.

Omar Little
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM

The arrogance of this comment is astounding.

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
You mean the land isn't owned by anyone? And their use of the land doesn't meet with your approval?

I've spoken to the farm management. They are well aware of our activities.

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 10:47 AM
The arrogance of this comment is astounding.

Sorry, I don't mean to be arrogant. I'm just saying that this area is completely unused by the owners. As I said above, I've spoken to the management, and they have no problem with us going onto the land, as long as we don't damage anything.

Shagnasty
11-29-2010, 11:03 AM
As I said above, I've spoken to the management, and they have no problem with us going onto the land, as long as we don't damage anything.

Isn't that why you asked this question in the first place?

NicePete
11-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Sorry, I don't mean to be arrogant. I'm just saying that this area is completely unused by the owners. As I said above, I've spoken to the management, and they have no problem with us going onto the land, as long as we don't damage anything.

Since you've had prior contact with the management, why not call them and let them handle the problem on their land? Taking matters into your own hands is just a bad idea.

Also, how can you be certain this stand is used for hunting? Isn't possible that a university might have some other reason for wanting to observe wildlife? I don't think you're wrong to be concerned, but the correct way to handle this is make a complaint to the owner.

awldune
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
OP has a legitimate complaint about the stand being too close to his house, even if it is legal. He knows who owns the land and the appropriate authorities to contact.

I really don't understand why he would consider taking things into his own hands. If you report this it isn't going to be ignored or swept under the rug.

ETA: Please don't feed the deer. Deer overpopulation is a major problem for quite a number of reasons and they pose a significant danger to anyone who drives early in the morning or late at night.

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I never really had any intention of damaging the tree stand, just possibly taking it down. That was just an option in the poll. Besides, I'm about 99.9999999% sure that the stand does not belong to the University and has no business on their land, and also that the farm manager wouldn't approve of it. I tried to call him today, but he's out.

Sailboat
11-29-2010, 11:49 AM
If you report this it isn't going to be ignored or swept under the rug.

Well, that depends. The person who shot a cat to death in our back yard at a former place we lived to "protect the honor" of our (spayed, indoor) fired in the direction of the elementary school building immediately behind us. Although it was at night, and I don't know if any bullets struck the school building itself. That episode was indeed swept under the rug when the police came.

The person who fired a shotgun at the local community college was on grounds posted no hunting, firing into the air but toward the soccer fields little kids play on, and beyond that were the campus buildings themselves, so whoever it was fired directly toward the school. That incident wasn't "swept under the rug" so much as completely ignored by the security guards, who found it funny.

But maybe things are different in the OP's state.

Omar Little
11-29-2010, 11:50 AM
I never really had any intention of damaging the tree stand, just possibly taking it down.

Taking it down, is not damaging it??????

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 11:52 AM
No, it's a portable tree stand, it just kind of straps onto the tree.

It's something like this (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Treestands/Climbing-Treestands|/pc/104791680/c/104783580/sc/104650380/Realtree-Outfitter-Series-Viper-Ultra-Treestand/745380.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-hunting-treestands-climbing-treestands%2F_%2FN-1100106%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104650380).

Omar Little
11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
What possible rationale do you have to enforce your own interpretations of morals, laws, etc. on someone else's property? At best, your obligation is to inform the land owner of the stand and let them do what they wish.

lieu
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Those aren't necessarily cheap. If I was deploying one it wouldn't be in a place where I didn't have permission.

Spud
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Very simple then... take it down, place it at the base of the tree with a note that says "Hunting is not allowed in this area. Contact (Farm Manager's Info) for more information." No harm, no foul. If on the long shot it is for observation by the university they will put it back up, maybe with a note back to you explaining its purpose.

Omar Little
11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Very simple then... take it down, place it at the base of the tree with a note that says "Hunting is not allowed in this area. Contact (Farm Manager's Info) for more information." No harm, no foul. If on the long shot it is for observation by the university they will put it back up, maybe with a note back to you explaining its purpose.

That might be nice, but the OP doesn't know for certain the legality of hunting on the property. He says it's "supposed to be closed for hunting", meaning he doesn't really know. This action would be sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. He at most should contact the property owner, share his discovery, and concern that someone would be hunting so near to his own property.

CPomeroy
11-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Another vote for contact the landowner. You could also inquire whether or not they allow hunting and if so, what sort (bow, muzzle loader, shotgun slug, rifle, etc.) and express any concerns if it is too close to your house. I would also ask the landowner what they plan to do about it, and if it does address your safety concerns, you could contact local law enforcement who could advise you as to whether they can (or will) do anything or recommend that you contact the game warden.

As a hunter and a landowner, it really bugs me when hunters do not observe applicable laws and/or tresspass. It gives all hunters a bad name.

Good luck and I hope if someone is doing something they should not be doing they are appropriately punished.

Walkabout
11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm not guessing that no hunting is allowed here, I know it's not allowed on any part of the University farm property. As a matter of fact, this are is also within city limits, also out of bounds for hunting. There have been debates about urban hunting in other areas of the town, but not this one, and it's not been approved for anywhere else, either.

Also, the only way to access where that stand is without a hellish hike uphill through dense brush, is either across the property of one of the homeowners (most likely ours) or from the hospital property. And it's well within the 500 ft. limit from a dwelling.

I do plan to contact the farm manager.

Omar Little
11-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Keep in mind, just because you found a stand and heard what you think was a gunshot, is not evidence that hunting is actually occurring on that property.

Dallas Jones
11-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I needed to dump some ashes from my smoker, so I went just a little ways into the woods to dispose of them there.

So, while you were littering and potentially starting a forest fire, you came across something you don't think someone else should be doing on that property.

I see.

flickster
11-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Maybe the stand is being used by the property manager to keep watch and try to find out who in the Hell has been dumping those ashes.....

Washoe
11-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Those aren't necessarily cheap.

Well there's your answer then. Take it down and sell it on eBay.

franka3
11-30-2010, 05:11 AM
It is highly likely the stand is used for hunting. You should contact Fish and Game. Given your description of location to your house, the stand may be too close. There are minimum distance requirements from dwellings while using a weapon.

Contact the U to report it. They may have granted permission. They are not responsible for placement thus the call to F&G.

On a side note, if the U doesn't want hunting, then why don't they post the land?

flickster
11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Well there's your answer then. Take it down and sell it on eBay.

Makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

Go on someone else's property and remove something that not only does not belong to you, you have no idea who it does belong to.

Why don't you just start breaking into your neighbor's homes while you're at it.

Susanann
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Maybe the stand is being used by the property manager to keep watch and try to find out who in the Hell has been dumping those ashes.....

Yep!!!

Thats it!!

Susanann
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
So, while you were littering and potentially starting a forest fire, you came across something you don't think someone else should be doing on that property.

I see.

So, while you were littering, trespassing, and potentially starting a forest fire, you came across something you don't think someone else should be doing on that someone else's property.

NurseCarmen
11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I bet it's the farm manager's stand.

saje
11-30-2010, 12:13 PM

As for the stand, you're being consistent and still making an ash of yourself.

You have no idea how, or when, it's being utilized.
The land does not belong to you.
The stand does not belong to you.

I second this.

Do you know for a fact that the stand isn't University property? Could they be doing a deer/wildlife population study?

even sven
11-30-2010, 12:46 PM
What would you all do if you found a stash of porno mags in the woods where your kids play? Assume they are part of a research project? Call the police? Leave them there out of respect?

Naw, you'd just trash 'em. You do what it takes to make sure your kids are safe and your property is useable.

This just doesn't seem that different to me. I don't for a moment believe it's a research project...who researches common deer? Why would they do so close to housing? The answer is nobody and they don't. It's no more a likely explanation than "What if it's an antenna to call the alien mothership?"

Maybe some of the readers have a limited view of what the woods near a school can mean. Perhaps they went to schools with small strands of carefully tended trees. I certainly didn't- I went to a school with miles and miles of forest land. There was crazy, crazy shit in these woods. Bodies would turn up. Communities of hippies lived in hidden permanent structures. They built secret wi-fi networks in the treetops. There were statues, animal sacrifice spots...infinite weirdness. Now and then the school would stumble upon some of the structures and evict the residents. One cabin evaded notice for twenty years before they found it. But there is no way for the school to know or monitor everything that happens out there.

And that's fine, but that weirdness doesn't belong near property owners.

carnivorousplant
11-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Communities of hippies lived in hidden permanent structures. They built secret wi-fi networks in the treetops.

Long haired, dope smokin' a livin' in the commune hippies probably stole laptops to use the tree top wi-fi, no doubt.

Really Not All That Bright
11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
So, while you were littering, trespassing, and potentially starting a forest fire, you came across something you don't think someone else should be doing on that someone else's property.
He's mentioned several times that he has permission to be on the land. Try to keep up.

flickster
11-30-2010, 01:27 PM
He's mentioned several times that he has permission to be on the land. Try to keep up.

Does that include permission to be dumping his ahes there?

11-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Doubtful. Which is why I took issue with Susanann's post, but not Dallas Jones'.

kayaker
11-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Does that include permission to be dumping his ahes there?

I assumed "dumping his ashes" to be a reference to masturbation.

"He's been in there a long time"
"Yep, I bet he's dumping his ashes"

kayaker
11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
But seriously, you tell the landowner. I have found tree stands twice while walking the woods around my home. Once I was on a neighbors property. I told him and he asked me to remove it, which I did. It was wooden.

Second time was on our property. It was a very nice metal commercially produced item. I took it down and sold it on Craigslist.

flickster
11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
I assumed "dumping his ashes" to be a reference to masturbation.

"He's been in there a long time"
"Yep, I bet he's dumping his ashes"

You know what they say about assuming.....in this case, it would just be you

The OP clearly stated he was dumping ashes from his smoker

11-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I fail to see how that signifies. Mine certainly smokes.

kayaker
11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Yep, dumping ashes from a smoker is a reference to not enough lube.

Washoe
11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
The OP clearly stated he was dumping ashes from his smoker

Oh—so we are talking about masturbation. I wish you people would speak more plainly.

thelurkinghorror
11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
This just doesn't seem that different to me. I don't for a moment believe it's a research project...who researches common deer?

Using just one research search engine, about 78 papers were written in the last 5 years on mule deer or whitetail deer.

EmAnJ
11-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Using just one research search engine, about 78 papers were written in the last 5 years on mule deer or whitetail deer.

I agree, this is a bad argument. Of course they research deer (and other 'common' animals). I've been an observer in many of these types of studies, it's not uncommon at all.

Walkabout
11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
They don't usually do them within 50 yards of a house where the researcher can look in the back windows.

flickster
11-30-2010, 03:15 PM
In that case, it sounds like this stand is being used to observe 2 legged deer instead of hunting

lieu
11-30-2010, 03:16 PM
...who researches common deer?Using just one research search engine, about 78 papers were written in the last 5 years on mule deer or whitetail deer.Here we go again... whether or not to 'common deer' the stand.

carnivorousplant
11-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Here we go again... whether or not to 'common deer' the stand.

Men have died for less. :)

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
11-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Is this camoflaged stand in view of a girls' dorm?

Could there be a mount built into the stand?

A camera mount?