PDA

View Full Version : Who is Quinn the Eskimo and why is he 'mighty'?

screech-owl
02-07-2001, 03:18 PM
Celyn's response in the Revolution thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=58753) reminded me of a question I wondered since I was a kid.

In the Manfred Mann song "The Mighty Quinn", who is Quinn and why is everyone so happy to see this Eskimo? Is he the savior of a village? Is the song based on a real person, or is it something pointless out of the lyricist's 60's-addled brain? Or is it something we'll never really know, as with Billy Joe MacAlister?

And yes, I searched the archives and the old threads first.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
02-07-2001, 03:30 PM
the lyricist's 60's-addled brain

Which would belong to Bobby Zimmerman, IIRC. . .

BobT
02-07-2001, 04:06 PM
Manfred Mann has done a lot of cover songs.

"The Mighty Quin" is definitely a Bob Dylan song. In the liner notes for "Biograph" a big Dylan box set, he says that the song just a bit of nonsense that he threw together for fun. He never expected it to be a big hit. Don't look for any messages in it.

Celyn
02-07-2001, 04:12 PM
And Dylan's brain was never even lightly addled, you mean?:) (Maybe screech-owl should have searched the old heads as well as the old threads.) Here

MightyQuinn (http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.htm?/~acsa/songfile/MIGHTYQU.HTM)

is one (of many) links to the lyrics, wherein we find that, although in verse one, "everybody's gonna jump for joy", in verse three, his impending arrival is not nearly so exciting But when Quinn the Eskimo gets here
Everybody's gonna want to doze

And pigeons really like him, for some unexplained reason. Oh, and the pigeons are going to *run* to him, not, as one might expect, fly.

Somebody must have read an explanation somewhere.

Colibri
02-07-2001, 05:03 PM
Well, of course "Quinn the Eskimo" is a reference to Anthony Quinn's role as Inuk in the classic 1959 film The Savage Innocents (http://www.allmovie.com/cg/x.dll?UID=11:48:02|PM&p=avg&sql=A108938), one of Quinn's many ethnic roles. In the movie he was certainly a mighty hunter. As for the lyrics, probably not even Mr. Zimmerman can explain them completely. (And I always thought that line was "Everybody's gonna want a dose.")

Inky-
02-07-2001, 05:42 PM
No, no, no. Your all missing the point entirely.

"Come on without, come on within
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn"

Not see nothing like The Mighty Quinn? Isn't that a double negative? So essentially doesn't that mean that everything is like The Mighty Quinn?

On a side note, I have it on good authority that Quinn's talent: Breakdancing.

Celyn
02-07-2001, 06:48 PM
Well, Colibri is clever because that at least explains (sort of ) the name Quinn, which never sounded very "Eskimo" (refusing to worry about Aleut or Inuit etc. right now). I hadn't heard of the film at all.

As for "not see nothing", it's even possible that Quinn was blind, and saw nothing, whereas most people would not be in this position....? OK, you're right - popular singer in bad grammar shock!

And why do the pigeons run happily along to the hunter?

aseymayo
02-07-2001, 07:32 PM
I think it proves the drugs really were better in the '60s.

Pigeons - could be "birds", eh? "Birds" or "chicks"? nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Or it could be the Mighty Quinn's wearing a breadcrumb parka.

Colibri
02-07-2001, 07:37 PM
I actually vaguely remember having seen at least part of The Savage Innocents on TV many years ago. Although its mostly forgotten now, I believe it was a bit of a sensation in its day (due to some of its sexual themes) and Dylan may well have seen it and would certainly have been aware of it.

Not to dispute BobT, but even Dylan's nonsense usually has some undercurrent of meaning. This may well be reading too much into the lyrics, but my interpretation is that "Quinn the Eskimo" is heroic because he is a man in tune with nature, in contrast to everybody else, who is obsessed with, yet disgusted by, modern civilization:

Everybody's building big ships and boats
Some are building monuments
Others, jotting down notes
Everybody's in despair
Every girl and boy. . .

I like to do just like the rest
I like my sugar sweet
But guarding fumes and making haste
It ain't my cup of meat . . .

There's someone on everyone's toes . . .

But because Quinn is a man of Nature:

All the pigeons gonna run to him . . .

so that

. . . when Quinn the Eskimo gets here
Everybody's gonna jump for joy

Dylan also indicates on the last verse that communing with nature is the solution to what ails you:

A cat's meow and a cow's moo, I can recite them all
Just tell me where it hurts you, honey
And I'll tell you who to call

And the person Dylan will tell you to call to get in touch with nature is of course Quinn . . .

Like a lot of Dylan's lyrics, this all hovers just on the edge of making some kind of sense, but it's mixed with a good bit of nonsense.

Now let's all try to work out an interpretion of All Along the Watchtower . . .

Helen's Eidolon
02-07-2001, 10:24 PM
Sorry, a few corrections of the lyrics. As said by Lyrics world (http://www.summer.com.br/~pfilho/html/main_index/index.html) it's:

I like to go just like the rest, I like my sugar sweet
But jumping queues and makin' haste, just ain't my cup of meatandLet me do what I wanna do, I can't decide 'em all
Just tell me where to put 'em and I'll tell you who to call

Sorry to burst your bubble :p

Spritle
02-08-2001, 06:32 AM
As some of you know from other threads, I'm one HUGE Dylan fan. (a big FAN of Dylan and a BIG fan of Dylan :) )

I always took the song in its entirety. There are people going through the drudgery of life or just doing their jobs. Perhaps they are on alert, suspicious, whatever. When Quinn gets here, everybody can relax, celebrate, finally get some rest, whatever. This makes Quinn a bit of a saviour figure. Consider that this song comes on the edge of his Spiritual period and this seems to make more sense.

Colibri
02-08-2001, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by LaurAnge
Sorry, a few corrections of the lyrics. As said by Lyrics world (http://www.summer.com.br/~pfilho/html/main_index/index.html) it's [snip]
Sorry to burst your bubble :p

LaurAnge, note that that site gives the:

lyrics as recorded by Manfred Mann

not necessarily as Dylan wrote them. And Celyn's site gives the Grateful Dead's version of the lyrics. These may be changed somewhat from Dylan's original version.

spritle, would you be so kind as to enlighten us as to the lyrics as Dylan wrote/recorded them? Basically I agree with you, that the song has to be looked at in its entirety, and there's no point in trying to interpret every line. The gist of it for me is that modern life makes us uptight, and that can be put right by getting back in touch with nature (symbolized by the eskimo).

ronan
02-08-2001, 10:01 AM
"Come on without, come on within
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn"

This refers to the mighty Niall Quinn here in Ireland :D

They were allways playing this song over here a few years back when the boys were actually qualifing for tournaments.

Maybe we can get it out in 2002 ? Not that Niall will be still playing, but hey!

Sorry to anybody who doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Spritle
02-08-2001, 10:57 AM
No prob. Here they are:

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/quinn.html

I also want to add a bit more info regarding this tune and my above comments.

The Mighty Quinn was released on the "Self Portrait" album June 8th, 1970. This was the same year that "New Morning" came out (Oct 21st, 1970). This is a bit important because it was during this time that he was exploring his spiritual side, being a bit torn between the Jewish/Christian thing.

It came a bit in the middle of his "Country Phase" (Nashville Skyline, JWH, etc.) from his introspection into the themes from those albums [my speculation here]. The songs on SP and NM are quite similar in that they address a simplistic lifestyle, sort of cutting ties with the mechanical world - listen to "Sign in the Window" (NM) with lyrics like:

Build me a cabin in Utah/Marry me a wife; catch rainbow trout/Have a bunch of kids that call me "Pa"/That must be what it's all about/That must be what it's all about

"Quinn" is a bit more upbeat in tempo than the other songs on the albums, and after the Highway61 and other "upbeat" and electric albums (which initially were met with scorn - but that's another story) it seemed to have more staying power.

Bonus info: Dylan really hit the spiritual side in the early 80s on such albums as "Infidels" and others.

If anyone really wants to discuss Dylan in depth, buy me a couple of beers and we'll go for hours. :D

Colibri
02-08-2001, 12:26 PM
Thanks, spritle, I should have remembered that. I bought Self Portrait when it first came out. I rather liked it, but many of my friends hated it (especially for "overproduced" stuff like "All the Tired Horses"). Somehow I had thought that "The Mighty Quinn" was much earlier. I'll have to dig my vinyl copy out now (it's not so easy to get at!). In any case, I think one of my acid-head friends at the time brought up the fact that "Quinn the Eskimo" was in reference Anthony Quinn.

LaurAnge, your quotes are what are known as "incorrections," not "corrections." :p ;)

Celyn
02-08-2001, 01:03 PM
Wow, I don't know where the OP screech-owl is but I know I'm damned impressed with those answers. Many thanks, folks! And to think that nobody would have asked if it hadn't been for Upham's call to revolution.

Now there are some lyrics from the Incredible String Band that are less than totally clear.........:)

Spritle
02-08-2001, 02:08 PM
No problem at all, Colibri. Entering this thread and tossing a bit of knowledge is the least I could do, given that I was the one who originally posted the "Quinn the Eskimo" thing in Upham's thread. (contrary to screech-owl's OP statement.)

Next, we can discuss who Davey Moore was and the name of the person who killed him...

screech-owl
02-08-2001, 02:31 PM
Ah yes, spritle, I am not being a noodge, but re-read my OP - 'Celyn's response: you did bring up the original lyrics**, but Celyn was the one who originally posed the query of 'what did the lyrics mean?'. I merely posted it to GQ in hopes that it would be explained at some point prior to the Revolution.

[And Celyn, I'm at work, but trying to catch this as much as possible! Your are correct - the answer are interesting and diverse.]

Your turn, spritle - open a new thread (rather than clogging up this one with two topics) about "Davey Moore"; never heard of him and why did he die?

**thank you very much I still can't get the bleeping song out of my head grrrring but still smiling at you!

Johanna
02-08-2001, 02:44 PM
My ex-wife, a big Dylan freak, interpreted QtE as about cocaine. Get it?

Eskimo --> Snow --> Cocaine.

Everybody's gonna jump for joy

Although I pointed out to her that Anthony Quinn had played an Eskimo in that 1959 movie, she had firmly decided that her own logic was watertight and unassailable.

Celyn
02-08-2001, 04:39 PM
screech-owl I think the Davey Moore reference was a joke, and might not need a new thread.

He was a boxer (World featherweight champion) who died of head injuries sustained in a boxing match with Sugar Ramos in 1963. (So sugar is definitely unhealthy.) Dylan wrote a song about him, as did Phil Ochs. Dylan’s song was entitled “Who Killed Davey Moore?”

screech-owl
02-08-2001, 11:41 PM
Ah.
A joke.
Thank you.

Spritle
02-09-2001, 07:06 AM
Celyn you are gettin' sexier and sexier each time I read a post here!!

screechie, I hope I wasn't sounding snippy. It's just that some other posters had mentioned that they had other song lyrics that they wanted deciphered so I added a particularly pithy one (I had hoped) to the list. Celyn's info about Davey Moore is correct, but I'd just like to add that in the song, everyone (even Sugar Ramos) says that they are not responsible and then places the blame elsewhere. Sorry for any confusion I started.

screech-owl
02-09-2001, 07:24 AM
Not snippy at all. I had never heard of this song or the particular incident. I appreciate the clarification.

Celyn
02-13-2001, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Holden MacRoyne
Celyn you are gettin' sexier and sexier each time I read a post here!!

Hmm, name-changing one, so can I use this as a sig, should I decide to make one? Hey, maybe I use use it as a character reference, even. :)

Spritle
02-13-2001, 06:55 AM
Aye, lassie. If'n it'd be a-pleasin to ye, honored I'd be.

Ukulele Ike
02-13-2001, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Holden MacRoyne
The Mighty Quinn was released on the "Self Portrait" album June 8th, 1970.

Yes, but "Quinn the Eskimo" was written and originally recorded with The Band at Big Pink in 1967, as part of the BASEMENT TAPES. It didn't make it onto the 1974 2-LP release, but it's on the original bootleg. Twice.

The way I always explain this song is that it foretells a coming Apocalypse ("Everybody's building big ships and boats," a la Noah), it hails the advent of a superhuman Savior (pigeons running to Quinn, everybody jumping for joy at his arrival, etc.), it's LSD-based ("Everybody's gonna want to doze" read/heard as "Everybody's gonna want to dose"), or, as Dylan claimed, it's just fabulously entertaining nonsense.

In any case, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it. As Robert Hunter says, "If you get confused, listen to the music play."

mikethelight
07-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Alchemy Esoteric Ormus Quintessence etc
Quin means 5 or fifth element
The mighty Quin is the mighty five or Pentagram called Pow or Power. A God being known as the " Quintator" or God of the Sea fisher and Eater of Men etc.
Oh yes Dylan was just foolin with us when he wrote that you all know Dylan is an adept.

[MOD NOTE: this post revives a thread from 2001]

casdave
07-27-2013, 05:40 AM
In other news........

What does Sloopy need to hang on to? How will this help Sloopy?

Why didn't the cake baker check out the weather before leaving it outside in t e rain?

...answers to these questions and more after some messages

hajario
07-27-2013, 05:45 AM
The mighty Quin is the mighty five or Pentagram called Pow or Power. A God being known as the " Quintator" or God of the Sea fisher and Eater of Men etc.
Oh yes Dylan was just foolin with us when he wrote that you all know Dylan is an adept.

The original discussion here happened over twelve years ago.

That said, I am a big Dylan fan and have always liked that song. Netflix had the Antony Quinn movie on streaming at one point and knowing the backstory of the song, I was happy to finally get to see it. I only got a out half way through. The damn thing is painful to watch.

chappachula
07-27-2013, 08:12 AM
In other news........
Why didn't the cake baker check out the weather before leaving it outside in the rain?
And why was the icing green?
Nobody puts green icing on a cake.(well, except at a 5year old's birthday party).

(hey, if we're gonna revive a 12 year old thread, let's do it with all the important issues) :)

(and why did nobody report this thread back then for a forum change?)
(and who was the mod back then who didn't move this to Cafe Society?
Oh....how the Dope has changed....)

Mr. Duality
07-27-2013, 08:15 AM
It's actually
"everybody's gonna want a dose"
as in a dose of LSD.

TruCelt
07-27-2013, 08:39 AM
I know nothing about Bob Dylan, but I always thought the was a contrast of the modern way of life and the sort of back-to-nature lived by those who get snowed in during the winter. Eskimo dog-sledders had to bring food and medicine to areas like Nome, Alaska.

I always interpreted the "dose" as a reference to the 1925 serum run to save the children of Nome who were dying in droves from diphtheria. And the pigeons referred (in my head) to the way the citizens would gather around the sleds vying for food, news, and medicine.

TruCelt
07-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Frickin' blackberry won't let me edit. Argh I hate this thing!

Anyhoo, these kinds of plagues would tend to hit when a town reached a certain population density (everybody on everybodies toes) but hadn't yet developed series like sewage pipes or hospitals.

TruCelt
07-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Services, not series.

Argh!!!

Qadgop the Mercotan
07-27-2013, 09:09 AM
LaurAnge, your quotes are what are known as "incorrections," not "corrections." :p ;)Manfred Mann mucked up the lyrics to Springsteen's Blinded by the light too. :eek:

johnpost
07-27-2013, 10:26 AM

zombie or no

it was before people on this board ate food or had multimedia.

ratatoskK
07-27-2013, 10:33 AM
My ex-wife, a big Dylan freak, interpreted QtE as about cocaine. Get it?

Eskimo --> Snow --> Cocaine.
I also thought it was about Quinn about to deliver some cocaine.

Johnny L.A.
07-27-2013, 10:43 AM
In other news........

What does Sloopy need to hang on to? How will this help Sloopy?

When the song came out, Dorothy 'Sloopy' Sloop was an aging (51 years old) jazz musician. So perhaps the singer is telling her to hang on, because she still has a Special Fan.

Jackmannii
07-27-2013, 10:57 AM
It's actually
as in a dose of LSD.No, it's not that either. The correct lyrics are:

when Quinn the Eskimo gets here
Everybody's gonna overdose

Smapti
07-27-2013, 11:11 AM
It's actually
as in a dose of LSD.

Ahem. (http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/quinn-eskimo-mighty-quinn)

Nobody can get no sleep
There’s someone on ev’ryone’s toes
But when Quinn the Eskimo gets here
Ev’rybody’s gonna wanna doze

Everyone is too wound up with their day-to-day problems to get any sleep, but once Quinn shows up they'll be able to lay down their burdens and relax. It's a happy-go-lucky song about the coming of a vaguely described messiah who's going to make everything alright.

Not every rock/pop/folk song from the '60s has to be about drugs, you know.

Gary Robson
07-27-2013, 11:14 AM
I have shuffled this music question off to Cafe Society from General Questions.

Colibri
07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Since my original link to the Savage Innocents is long dead, here's one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Savage_Innocents) to the Wiki article (which of course didn't exist 12 years ago).

The Mighty Quinn

Bob Dylan is widely believed to have written the song "Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)" in tribute to Quinn's performance.[3]

From the Wiki on the song itself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinn_the_Eskimo_(The_Mighty_Quinn)):

The subject of the song is the arrival of the mighty Quinn (an Eskimo), who changes despair into joy and chaos into rest, and attracts attention from the animals. Dylan is widely believed to have derived the title character from actor Anthony Quinn's role as an Eskimo in the 1960 movie The Savage Innocents.[2] Dylan has also been quoted as saying that the song was nothing more than a "simple nursery rhyme."

Quinn the Eskimo. (http://prophecypanicbutton.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/quinn-eskimo-savage.png?w=640)

Alessan
07-27-2013, 05:01 PM

I don't think CS existed back in 2001. IIRC, they opened it about a year later.

silenus
07-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Why are zombies always revived by moronic posts by newbies? That is the Question of the Ages.

Musicat
07-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Why are zombies always revived by moronic posts by newbies? That is the Question of the Ages.Alchemy Esoteric Ormus Quintessence etc
This is moronic? It's heavy, Man.

TBG
07-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Even without getting into the zombie eskimo issue, this has to be one of the oddest thread revivals I've seen.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Mr. Duality
07-27-2013, 11:00 PM
When the Grateful Dead covered this song, everybody who didn't already have one wanted a dose.

dropzone
07-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Why are zombies always revived by moronic posts by newbies? That is the Question of the Ages.Moronic? I thought it was funny, with a SDMBish twist, and want to welcome mikethelight as a natural for this dump. And if he means it and believes that incoherent claptrap? So much the better! But I do think (hope) you got whooshed.

Voyager
07-27-2013, 11:54 PM
This song was done during the Basement Tapes sessions. It is one of the more understandable ones. Explain "Yay, Heavy, and a Bottle of Bread," sometime.

BTW, the movie "The Mighty Quinn" is set in the Caribbean with the detective named Quinn. The inhabitants of the island sing the song (leaving out Eskimo) at one point - that is it for a conncection.

Derleth
07-28-2013, 06:42 AM
zombie or no

it was before people on this board ate food or had multimedia.I remember that. Animals without backbones hid from each other, or fell down. During this extinct time, our earth was like a steam room - and no one, not even man, could get in. Then, millions of years later, after a 28-day cooling-off period, the moon arose, fell down, and finally arose by another name: Luna. It has a fine pendulum-based action and ceases to exist when you're not looking at it, which will be fixed in the next beta. The sand dollar shrank to nothing, and small, dying creatures ate edible plants in rows. This was the Late Devouring Period; we finally had food, but no aperitifs.

We were small, then, and when we were pushed, we fell down, according to Fudd's First Law of Opposition. But when we joined our universe, which was already in progress, we made enough noise to keep the wolves awake. Now, everywhere we go, we drop a great load of knowledge, forming a rich compost where slumbers the modifying spark of Doperness.

TruCelt
07-28-2013, 10:52 AM

[MOD NOTE: this post revives a thread from 2001]

Wait a sec. God of the Sea Fisher and Eater of Men?

The Mighty Quin is Cthulhu?!?

Colibri
07-28-2013, 11:36 AM
A God being known as the " Quintator" or God of the Sea fisher and Eater of Men etc.

I guess you must mean Bruce the Shark, who you could consider a Quintator (http://www.i-mockery.com/halloween/greatest/pics/jaws-6.gif) when he ate Quint.

Celyn
07-28-2013, 11:41 AM
He's certainly mighty. Reviving a thread from 2001 is a bit impressive. :)

That was a fun read. And as for the "revolution" thread that gave birth to it, is Upham still around? Or many posters from that thread? And when do we get our revolution? And just what about this better cake to eat?

(Is it shameful and considered ground for expulsion from the SDMB if I admit that |I have only ever heard of the unspellable Cthulhu here and I have still never read any Lovecraft. I think I'm sort of resisting doing so if it is very much the expected thing. A bit childish of me, yes).

PanderWee
09-07-2014, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=Voyager;16518582]This song was done during the Basement Tapes sessions. It is one of the more understandable ones. Explain "Yay, Heavy, and a Bottle of Bread," sometime.

Welp, "Yay, Heavy" is via Shakespeare, _Measure for Measure_ if you must know. And in fact ALL the wacky lyrics on the Basement Tapes are via Shakespeare, albeit "metabolized" so thoroughly that only the King Lear-bit in "Tears of Rage" has been spotted so far. "Mighty Quinn has a number of "indicators" tracing it to _Richard III_, but that is only a START in decoding it. The ultimate upshot is that "Quinn" is a close acquaintance of Dylan... not that I can get anyone interested in my hair-brained (sic) down-to-my-knees theory... Lord knows I've TRIED... http://theculturemonitor.blogspot.ca/2013/01/come-all-without-come-all-online.html

Odesio
09-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Kwinn the Eskimo (http://www.comicvine.com/kwinn/4005-11079/) was one of the finest people to ever cross paths with GI Joe.

Voyager
09-07-2014, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=Voyager;16518582]This song was done during the Basement Tapes sessions. It is one of the more understandable ones. Explain "Yay, Heavy, and a Bottle of Bread," sometime.

Welp, "Yay, Heavy" is via Shakespeare, _Measure for Measure_ if you must know. And in fact ALL the wacky lyrics on the Basement Tapes are via Shakespeare, albeit "metabolized" so thoroughly that only the King Lear-bit in "Tears of Rage" has been spotted so far. "Mighty Quinn has a number of "indicators" tracing it to _Richard III_, but that is only a START in decoding it. The ultimate upshot is that "Quinn" is a close acquaintance of Dylan... not that I can get anyone interested in my hair-brained (sic) down-to-my-knees theory... Lord knows I've TRIED... http://theculturemonitor.blogspot.ca/2013/01/come-all-without-come-all-online.html

This is the revival of a year old revival to a 13 year old thread, just so everyone notices.
I'll have to reread Measure for Measure, but I don't remember "nose full of pus" in it. In any case, Dylan's lyrics change over time, before and after releases, so the "official" version is just a snapshot. Check out the Whitmark demo CDs for lots of examples.

BTW, I think I've just falsified free will. When I was reading the original thread I constructed a reply - which was almost identical to what I wrote a year ago, including Yea Heavy and a Bottle of Bread. Scary.

Also btw the entire set of Basement tapes is being or has just been officially released. I'm saving my pennies.

PanderWee
09-07-2014, 07:38 PM
There's a hooker in Measure for Measure, and hence "poor little chauffeur she was still in bed." The "nose full of pus"?--not sure, but #3 here looks promising: http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/search/search-results.php?link=con&searchtype=exact&works[]=measure&keyword1=knows&sortby=WorkName&pleasewait=1&msg=sr

Note that there is a time-reference in both; and Bob sure does love his puns and extravagant wordplay! (e.g. "You'll not see nothing in Quinn" IS a Nazi pun, weirdly enough).

But there is just an appalling heap of detail involved in the whole thesis, hard to summarize here. Did you read the blogpost? The Hamlet stuff in "Crash on the Levee" is pretty eye-popping, because Bob is basically singing from Prince Hamlet's point-of-view and blaming Ophelia for her own drowning. I'd say that's very, VERY interesting... =o

PanderWee
09-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Actually:

http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/search/search-results.php?link=con&searchtype=exact&works[]=measure&keyword1=knows&sortby=WorkName&pleasewait=1&msg=sr

Damn! Just try "Knows" when you reach concordance!

E-DUB
09-07-2014, 07:50 PM
I was going to point out the "Dose" thing, too. Maybe it's Quinn himself that they want a dose of.

kunilou
09-07-2014, 07:58 PM
This reminds me of when I read an essay about Like a Rolling Stone written by a high swchool kid and posted online.

"I think this song is about drugs."

Celyn
09-07-2014, 09:33 PM
This reminds me of when I read an essay about Like a Rolling Stone written by a high swchool kid and posted online.

Drugs, you say? A high "swchool kid? Hmm, Who is the one on drugs here? :D

This is a fascinating little double-zombie. :) I found it amusing to to re-read this thread and Upham's original thread. All very nostalgic and fun.

Look, can we still have this revolution and can there still be cake, please?

Steophan
09-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Also btw the entire set of Basement tapes is being or has just been officially released. I'm saving my pennies.

Coming out in November, with 20 or 30 tracks that have never even been bootlegged. It'll be interesting to see how many are real songs, and how many just fragments, but I'm sure I'll get it whatever.

PanderWee
09-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Oh, what the hell, I've told my kids (shrugs), a few friends (much the same), and even David Kinney of The Dylanologists, about 11 months ago (minus my evidence, which may be why he greeted my disclosure with dead silence). But he fact is that...

THE MIGHTY QUINN THE ESKIMO IS ACTUALLY JOHN LENNON!

But as I told Kinney, the evidence is far more fascinating than the fact itself.

Now awaiting the inevitable yawns... :dubious::dubious::dubious:

PanderWee
09-13-2014, 02:53 PM

Well, if you slog thru the "respectable" scholarship, the explain-all of drugs is frequently employed or hinted at. The extensive wacky in Dylan's Basement Tapes almost demands it. :confused: However, there is a more labor-intensive and literary interpretation: http://theculturemonitor.blogspot.ca/2013/01/come-all-without-come-all-online.html

Excuse my self-promotion...:o:cool:

PanderWee
09-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Oh okaaay--my acutely-sensitive paranoia-hearing detects everyone muttering under their breath, "Yeaahhh, WHAT evidence?"

So, one SMALL kitten out of a large bag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mns9VeRguys

Only takes about 30 seconds to perceive:
a) pigeons at 5-11 seconds, John Lennon at 12 seconds
b) the melody over this is: lead-guitar playing the flute-melody from Manfred Mann's cover/hit of "Mighty Quinn"
c) "Duquesne" is maybe a little suggestive of "Quinn" eh? And... the "whistle"...? =]

Questions?

susan
11-16-2014, 10:10 PM
When we're done with this, I'd like to understand more about "strawberry alarm clock" as well.

Voyager
11-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Coming out in November, with 20 or 30 tracks that have never even been bootlegged. It'll be interesting to see how many are real songs, and how many just fragments, but I'm sure I'll get it whatever.

Just got it for my birthday, and haven't listened to it yet. But I have read the liner notes. Especially good since I hadn't realized that Robbie Robertson had fiddled with the first Basement Tapes release, adding drums etc. I have one of the many versions of Great White Wonder, and knew those versions were different, but assumed they were just different takes.

Besides the original material there are lots of covers as they warmed up the equipment, including Folsom Prison Blues.

Peter Morris
11-17-2014, 01:54 AM
I heard it has about the same meaning as The Rhythm Of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj9xsSuczes). It tells of the coming of a prophet of a new religion.

compare "There's a million pigeons waiting to be hooked on new religions" to "All the pigeons gonna run to him"

PanderWee
11-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Never mind, it's only a northern song. And the "mighty queen" in Shakespeare's Richard III? Just a curious coincidence. Pay no mind. :cool:

quinnmueller
01-13-2015, 05:54 AM
So, my name is quinn, I've been hearing this song by all the artists for many many years, a friend of mine just said he thought it was about a drug dealer and if you use the right lyrics, some from different artists perhaps, but it all makes sense. For one, Eskimos like snow, or at least always have it around. In that culture, drug culture, everybody would jump for joy when he got there, all the pigeons would literally run to him, they all want a dose. Some are building monuments and others jotting down notes, busy busy mind's of those on drugs, some write songs, clean their house, talk about grand ideas, monumental, seeming. I never understood any of it or how it went together but I have to say this makes the most sense. Damn, I hoped everybody jumped for joy when i walked in cause I was cool and funny but now i know it was just cause they hoped i had narcotics. Aloha, mahalo for reading, Quinn the hawaiian.

armedmonkey
01-16-2015, 04:04 AM
Or is it something we'll never really know, as with Billy Joe MacAlister?[/sub]It's simple really. Back in the 60's, an experimental radioactive satellite crash landed in Missisippi next to the Tallahatchie river while Quin was visiting his good friend, Bilie Joe Mcalister. The resulting pollution caused the dead to rise from their graves and hone in on the radioactive magnetism of the wreckage. (that's just basic science). In an effort to save the town, Bille Joe and Quin lured the undead onto the bridge and threw the wreckage over the side. However, the plan failed because Quin was exposed to the radioactive magnetism. Despairing, Billie Joe jumped off of the bridge, but Quin stayed and fought the horde. He won, but despairing for his friend, Quin returned to his home in the Great White North, but not before the news of the zombie battle spread far and wide earning him the "Mighty" nickname. Quin is still magnetically radioactive to this day, which will frequently cause a disruption in pigeon migration patterns causing the animals to flock to his location.

stillownedbysetters
01-16-2015, 03:02 PM
I never bothered to attribute any deep meaning to the song lyrics, but all these quite scholarly analyses might make me have to rethink that. :D

I always thought the song was just some nonsense Dylan thought up while indulging in mind altering substances of the kind that also yielded yellow submarines, white rabbits, strawberry alarm clocks, and purple haze.

In any case, I owe Mr. Zimmerman's mind on drugs a thank you. I named the Samoyed I had growing up Quinn and he was mighty indeed. Although he was better at scattering pigeons than getting them to run to him. :p

Edisaved
12-07-2015, 11:04 PM
People in all walks of life take drugs from wealthy to not so wealthy but once hooked they wait for the man like pigeons on a limb and when he comes they run to him take the drugs and everybody's gonna doze nodding out on heroin.

Colibri
12-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Well, of course "Quinn the Eskimo" is a reference to Anthony Quinn's role as Inuk in the classic 1959 film The Savage Innocents (http://www.allmovie.com/cg/x.dll?UID=11:48:02|PM&p=avg&sql=A108938), one of Quinn's many ethnic roles. In the movie he was certainly a mighty hunter. As for the lyrics, probably not even Mr. Zimmerman can explain them completely. (And I always thought that line was "Everybody's gonna want a dose.")

That link no longer works, so here's a current one. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Savage_Innocents)