PDA

View Full Version : whats a acre in ohio worth?

den44057
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
hello

i was just wanting to know if anyone could give me a ball park value of a acre of property in madison ohio?

the property butts up to the back of mine and it is the end of the 25 acres the lady has so beside hers my property would have the only right away into it it,

the property has been logged and has no utilitys at all and is a little swampyand has all the tree tops and crap wood that the butchers didnt want.

i am willing to pay a fair price but do not want to over pay so if anyone has a idea of a value of something like this please let me know.

thanks den

dolphinboy
01-30-2011, 08:40 PM
It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Contact some real estate agents and have them provide you with some free comps to give you a ballpack idea.

Oakminster
01-30-2011, 08:57 PM
The are probably public records available showing the appraised value of the property for tax purposes. This is not always the same as market value for sale purposes, but may still be useful information to have.

I have no idea what the appropriate office would be called in Ohio. Possibly the tax assessor's office, or wherever deeds and such are recorded. Someone in the clerk's office at the courthouse could probably tell you.

BlueOhio
01-30-2011, 10:06 PM
The Lake County Auditor's Office: http://www.lake.iviewauditor.com/

(if I have the correct Madison, Ohio)

tomndebb
01-30-2011, 10:42 PM
To find the tax records, go to
http://www.lake.iviewauditor.com/Search.aspx
enter the owner's last name and CLICK "search"
select the property you want to look at by CLICKing on the Parcel Number
which will provide the Plat information as well as the current tax valuations.

(The tax assessment, of course, may or may not have anything to do with the actual value of the property, but it will give you a start.)

(If the property is over the line in Ashtabula County, you might be out of luck from an internet standpoint, as Ashtabula does not have a good on-line system set up.)

Hennessy
01-30-2011, 11:32 PM
I dunno if this counts for one acre but...

Location makes the difference and a very large one. I know you want some type of figure ("no more than ..." figure) I'm guessing your talking about the country. $1000.00 and the right approach. $2500.00 for no hassles. Honestly though, what is it worth to you? (how bad do you want it?) If your anywhere close to a big city, the price can double or triple.

malkavia
01-31-2011, 12:32 AM
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Madison_OH/type-land#/sortby-1

Here are some lots currently listed in Madison's MLS, to give you a ballpark idea of the going rates.

den44057
01-31-2011, 12:33 AM
I dunno if this counts for one acre but...

Location makes the difference and a very large one. I know you want some type of figure ("no more than ..." figure) I'm guessing your talking about the country. $1000.00 and the right approach. $2500.00 for no hassles. Honestly though, what is it worth to you? (how bad do you want it?) If your anywhere close to a big city, the price can double or triple.

im located about 5 miles from town and i was thinking that the property would be worth a fair price around 1500 to 2000 ?

there is nothing but nursery on the end and the other side of the property and she had said something about trying to sell it to them and the owner of the nursery said he had no use for it.

Hennessy
01-31-2011, 12:56 AM
I can't answer your question with confidence as I have no experience whatsoever. I do know it is possible to get an acre for around a $1000.00 although it is hard to come by. Set in your head that over $5000 is outrageous and understand they very well may feel it's worth $4000. Tell them you probably wouldn't be able to afford the full value but if they were wanting to get rid of it then you got $1500(or $2000). You don't have to know the value to make an offer.

elmwood
01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
i was just wanting to know if anyone could give me a ball park value of a acre of property in madison ohio?

What Madison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Township,_Ohio)?

FWIW, Ohio is notorious for having towns with the identical name scattered throughout the state.

I wrote the comprehensive plans for Madison Township and Madison Village in Lake County, so I can give you a very rough ballpark figure (I'm not a real estate appraiser), if it's one of those Madisons.

elmwood
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Okay, I saw you mentioned "nursery", so it's got to be Lake County.

The land isn't going to be worth much. Nurseries want well-drained soils, even with containerized production. The area has a decent microclimate for vineyards, but again, there's not that much you can do with a swampy acre.

I don't know what your zoning is, but it's unlikely that acre will be a viable building lot. There's no access to the public right-of-way if it's subdivided. Despite Lake County's almost-anything-goes subdivision regulations, you still can't create a landlocked parcel.

You'll need to get a survey and go through an administrative boundary line adjustment process at Lake County to get the acre transferred to your lot. The cost of the survey, subdivision fee, and recording would be a large portion of the costs if it's just a thousand dollar chunk of land.

Madison Township is in a difficult location, market-wise; close enough to Cleveland to be affected by its real estate market, but far beyond commuting distance; it's a haul even to Mentor. Demand for land in the township is stifled somewhat thanks to the superior Perry School District to the west siphoning off potential residents. Demographics are very blue-collar compared to Perry Township/Village, Leroy, Concord and Painesville Township; culturally, it's closer to Ashtabula than Cleveland. Still, if you're going to buy land in Lake County, now's may be time to do it, with real estate prces being very depressed in the region.

I'm curious why you want the parcel.

den44057
01-31-2011, 12:22 PM
What Madison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Township,_Ohio)?

FWIW, Ohio is notorious for having towns with the identical name scattered throughout the state.

I wrote the comprehensive plans for Madison Township and Madison Village in Lake County, so I can give you a very rough ballpark figure (I'm not a real estate appraiser), if it's one of those Madisons.

its in madison township right off chapel road

den44057
01-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Okay, I saw you mentioned "nursery", so it's got to be Lake County.

The land isn't going to be worth much. Nurseries want well-drained soils, even with containerized production. The area has a decent microclimate for vineyards, but again, there's not that much you can do with a swampy acre.

I don't know what your zoning is, but it's unlikely that acre will be a viable building lot. There's no access to the public right-of-way if it's subdivided. Despite Lake County's almost-anything-goes subdivision regulations, you still can't create a landlocked parcel.

You'll need to get a survey and go through an administrative boundary line adjustment process at Lake County to get the acre transferred to your lot. The cost of the survey, subdivision fee, and recording would be a large portion of the costs if it's just a thousand dollar chunk of land.

Madison Township is in a difficult location, market-wise; close enough to Cleveland to be affected by its real estate market, but far beyond commuting distance; it's a haul even to Mentor. Demand for land in the township is stifled somewhat thanks to the superior Perry School District to the west siphoning off potential residents. Demographics are very blue-collar compared to Perry Township/Village, Leroy, Concord and Painesville Township; culturally, it's closer to Ashtabula than Cleveland. Still, if you're going to buy land in Lake County, now's may be time to do it, with real estate prces being very depressed in the region.

I'm curious why you want the parcel.

well im just looking to clear it off and make my own yard bigger