PDA

View Full Version : How do blind people tell the time?

Kamrusepas
02-04-2011, 05:22 PM
So, I'm watching Dark Angel, and I suddenly got to wondering...

How do blind people tell the time? Do they have special blind people clocks or do they just listen to the radio?

SpoilerVirgin
02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
So, I'm watching Dark Angel, and I suddenly got to wondering...

How do blind people tell the time? Do they have special blind people clocks or do they just listen to the radio?Many of them use either a braille watch (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=braille+watch&aq=f&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=) or a talking watch (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=talking+watch&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=). These are some of the most common products sold especially for the blind.

norinew
02-04-2011, 05:40 PM
I have a friend who is totally blind since birth. He did recently get one of those talking watches, but even before he had one, he had various little tricks for figuring out what time it was. One was the TV. He knew what time his favorite shows came on, so if he tuned in the TV, and a particular show was on, he'd know that it was some time between, say, 3:30 and 4PM, or something like that.

In the summer, he could tell the time (more or less) with his furniture. He had certain flat surfaces placed in front of windows. He'd put his hand on the surface, and he could tell approximately what time it was by what part of the surface was warmest from the sun. Not helpful on cloudy days, of course. ;)

t-bonham@scc.net
02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
My blind friend mostly depends on devices that talk to her. She has kitchen & living room clocks that announce the time on the hour, a bedroom clock that announces the time when you press a button, a den clock which gives various bird calls each hour, and a wristwatch that gives the time when you press a button. (Since these clocks are a few seconds (or more) out of sync with each other, there's a bit of cacophony at the hour, as the time is announced in different rooms.)

But the most common is her computer -- she has screen reader software, so she goes to the time in the lower right corner and it reads the time to her.

Angel of Doubt
02-04-2011, 10:17 PM
SO has Braille watch. Looks just like a regular watch, the face flips up and he feels the hands.

Oh, yeah, like t-bonham's friend, we have a little talking alarm clock with the button.

gaffa
02-04-2011, 10:57 PM
So many people are moving away from wearing wristwatches, using instead their cell phone. That made me wonder if there smart phones that have screen readers. So I started digging into my iPod Touch and it has a screen reader built in! So I turned it on and tried using it with my eyes closed. What a pain!

Given that Android is (in theory at least) open source, is there an alternate firmware for those phones that are more accessible?

friedo
02-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't think many blind people will be using iPod Touches.

gaffa
02-04-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't think many blind people will be using iPod Touches.
I agree that other devices, especially ones with physical keyboards, would be much easier to use.