PDA

View Full Version : Chore Wars - because every unpleasant chore is more fun if it's an adventure!

Infovore
02-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Okay, I admit it. I'm lazy. I hate doing chores around the house. I'm really good at finding excuses not to do them until they get to the point where even I can't stand having them undone anymore. I think I might grow up someday...maybe.

I'm also a gamer. I used to play D&D and Shadowrun, I'm a WoW addict, and I love video game RPGs.

So imagine my amusement yesterday when a columnist in my local paper linked to a site called "Chore Wars," where you can create an "adventuring party" out of the people in your household and put up a list of chores that need to be done, complete with experience points, stat bonuses, and optional wandering monsters and treasure! Of course I immediately went off and signed up, recruited my spouse for my adventuring party, and I'm already claiming XP for doing things around the house! You define the quests--how much XP they're worth, whether there's a chance of monsters and/or treasure and the type of each (for instance, my "clean cat boxes" chore has the chance of encountering a "breaded cat doot" monster. I encountered one last night and the battle was quite epic, I assure you! :D)

Yeah, it's a silly site. I have absolutely no connection to it, but I've actually been kind of thinking of trying to motivate myself to do things by making it into a WoW-style "quest" system. This is something similar, but I don't have to do the work. :D

http://www.chorewars.com if you want to check it out. It's free and they don't ask for much information.