PDA

View Full Version : Should I circumcise my cat?

Inigo Montoya
02-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Or rather, have the procedure done at the vet? I know it's not a common practice in North America, but it seems the procedure would result in a more healthy and well-adjusted feline. I've heard it will also help to alleviate disruptive and unsanitary behaviors when she comes into heat.

Has anyone done this with their cat? What kind of results did you see? Would you have it done to another cat?

DCnDC
02-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Is the cat Jewish?

Are you sure you don't mean neuter?

EmAnJ
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
I really hope you mean neuter!

Rigamarole
02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Is the cat Jewish?

Are you sure you don't mean neuter?

What's really interesting is that apparently it's a female cat he's getting circumsised.

MichaelEmouse
02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
she

Either you mean neuter or I am really, really confused.

purplehorseshoe
02-25-2011, 01:19 PM
I am eighteen kinds of confused by the OP.

running coach
02-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Isn't spay the correct term for females or is neuter used for both genders now?

stpauler
02-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Fluffy, the kitty moyel. And yes, you should spay your female cat.

DCnDC
02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
What's really interesting is that apparently it's a female cat he's getting circumsised.

A-ha. I missed the pronoun.

So... the cat is African? Possibly Middle Eastern?;)

Cat Whisperer
02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
If it was anybody but Inigo starting the thread, I would just assume they were getting spaying and circumcising mixed up. As it is, I say no way! Don't circumcise your kitty - isn't kitty allowed any fun?

Smeghead
02-25-2011, 02:04 PM
You can get him circumcised and declawed on the same day! Assuming you can haul your fat butt out to the SUV so you can drive the five minutes to the clinic, avoiding all the lawbreaking cyclists along the way.

Inigo Montoya
02-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Cat & smeghead, we must be careful never to end up in the same pub at the same time.

Hello Again
02-25-2011, 02:13 PM
You can get him circumcised and declawed on the same day! Assuming you can haul your fat butt out to the SUV so you can drive the five minutes to the clinic, avoiding all the lawbreaking cyclists along the way.

Don't forget about the unleashed dogs, giving birth.

Contrapuntal
02-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Either you mean neuter or I am really, really confused.
He's talking about the cat coming into heat after the procedure, so I'm guessing it's him that's confused.

MichaelEmouse
02-25-2011, 02:19 PM

How many times?
When?
For how long?

lorene
02-25-2011, 02:20 PM

I didn't see them. That breastfeeding mother was in the way.

WhyNot
02-25-2011, 02:29 PM
And I couldn't even hear anything over the din of her vibrator!

Inigo, sure, you can circumcise your cat. But I'd take your kids to the doctor for their declawing.

(Do cats even have foreskins?)

The Weird One
02-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Don't circumcise your cat! Get its nipples pierced instead. Punk kitty!

Wile E
02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
And I couldn't even hear anything over the din of her vibrator!

Inigo, sure, you can circumcise your cat. But I'd take your kids to the doctor for their declawing.

(Do cats even have foreskins?)

No, kitty penii* have little bristles. The penis usually retracts inside when not in use.

Also, neuter is a unisex term, spay is for females and castration is for males. But I agree with some previous posters, because the OP is Inigo, I'm pretty sure he meant what he said.

*You say penises, I say penii, tomato/tomahto, let's call the whole thing off.

JohnT
02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Didn't Cecil already cover this this week? (well, in a repeat of a 1985 column, he did):

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/464/whats-the-story-with-female-circumcision

Inigo Montoya
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
*You say penises, I say penii, tomato/tomahto, let's call the whole thing off.Actually I say penes. And occasionally, octopodes when I feel like baiting a challenge at the aquarium. I'm just a prick like that. :D

Mauvaise
02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Isn't spay the correct term for females or is neuter used for both genders now?

I've heard "alter" used in a unisex manner.

I think they use the term spay because "kitty hysterectomy" doesn't roll off the tongue quite so easily.

awldune
02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
I am really confused. Is this a joke thread?

Did you mean "spay" your cat?

Is there even such a thing as female circumcision for a cat?

:confused:

awldune
02-25-2011, 04:28 PM
*You say penises, I say penii, tomato/tomahto, let's call the whole thing off.

I would be fine with this if the singular was penius. Same with "virius" > virii.

Inigo Montoya
02-25-2011, 05:26 PM
I am really confused. Is this a joke thread?How Sweet! I've been 90% noise here for 7 years and you're still giving me the benefit of the doubt. :D

Ya, it's sort of a joke thread.

Inigo Montoya
02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
I would be fine with this if the singular was penius. Same with "virius" > virii.
testis > testes
penis > penes

"A penis to plunder, a penis to push
'cause one in the hand is worth one in the bush"

panache45
02-25-2011, 06:49 PM
You know, there are some circumcised male cats who, at a later age, decide that they want their foreskin back. There are procedures to accomplish this, or at least to approximate foreskin. I would suggest not circumcising your cat; when he's older he can make that decision for himself.

Oh, your cat is actually female? I'd even more strongly suggest to leave her intact.

(But by all means have her spayed).

Tom Scud
02-25-2011, 06:53 PM
The most important thing is to remember to leave at least a 22% tip for the vet who performs the circumcision.

panache45
02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Actually, my kitties' vet is Jewish. I must remember to ask her whether she provides this service.

WhyNot
02-25-2011, 08:06 PM
You know, there are some circumcised male cats who, at a later age, decide that they want their foreskin back. There are procedures to accomplish this, or at least to approximate foreskin.

And you're not going to believe what it's called. (http://www.catstretcher.com/)

Docta G
02-25-2011, 08:17 PM
This thread makes me smile.

tesseract
02-25-2011, 10:42 PM
It makes me smile too. But I am confused by all the posters who are confused.

Cat Whisperer
02-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Cat & smeghead, we must be careful never to end up in the same pub at the same time.
It would be legen...wait for it...dary. "Why is there a bus in the back yard?" "Even better question - why is it full of parrots?"

Smeghead
02-26-2011, 06:27 AM
There's another device to restore foreskins to circumcised dogs. It's called the Pug-Ahoy.

Count Blucher
02-26-2011, 08:47 AM
You can get him circumcised and declawed on the same day!

Which setting is that on the Cuisinart?

Apollyon
02-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm just surprised that no-one has made the seemingly obligatory movie reference.

JRDelirious
02-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Damnit, Inigo, don't you realize some of the clue-deprived are going to catch wind of this thread on Google and next thing we know we'll have fanatical board-wars betweent pro- and anti- cat circumcision web communities?

medstar
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Or rather, have the procedure done at the vet? I know it's not a common practice in North America, but it seems the procedure would result in a more healthy and well-adjusted feline. I've heard it will also help to alleviate disruptive and unsanitary behaviors when she comes into heat.

Has anyone done this with their cat? What kind of results did you see? Would you have it done to another cat?

By yourself?

::d&r::

Lasciel
02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Damnit, Inigo, don't you realize some of the clue-deprived are going to catch wind of this thread on Google and next thing we know we'll have fanatical board-wars betweent pro- and anti- cat circumcision web communities?

*fetches popcorn*

Awesome. I always miss the cool fanatical message board web wars.

Count Blucher
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Has no one bothered to ask those who would be affected most by this...?
"Aaaaaaa-Roooooo!!!!! Hssssss!!! Sppppptttttt!!!" :D

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.