PDA

View Full Version : Has that ever happened on Jeopardy! before?

williamweigand
03-17-2011, 07:40 AM
On the March 16 episode the returning champion had Final Jeopardy all to himself because the two challengers had negative dollar amounts at the end of Double Jeopardy. I would have thought Mr. Trebek might mention if that had ever happened before, but he didn't. Anyone here know?

Sigmagirl
03-17-2011, 08:13 AM
According to the Sony Jeopardy message boards (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showpost.php?p=919696&postcount=9), it hasn't happened in regular game season play since 1987, and has also happened in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions.

Erdosain
03-17-2011, 08:15 AM
It appears that it has happened before but is pretty rare. I found this thread (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showthread.php?t=37064) on the Jeopardy! forums discussing this topic.

If you notice the final post, apparently in the pre-Trebek era, there was a game where all three contestants finished with negative scores. I wonder what they did for the Final Jeopardy in that game. Probably just showed more cigarette commercials.

peedin
03-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I could not believe how bad the other two players were last night. The man would ring in, then either say nothing or stutter and stammer. The woman gave painfully wrong answers. Halfway through DJ I thought "what happens if these two finish in the hole?" Now I know!

Jack Batty
03-17-2011, 09:03 AM
So did the guy bet anything on Final or did he wimp out?

Hal Briston
03-17-2011, 09:10 AM
So did the guy bet anything on Final or did he wimp out?Wimped. He bet $400 (and got the answer right, natch).

TreacherousCretin
03-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Suppose he bet it all, answered incorrectly, ended up with zero dollars. He still would have won.

And how about that Nixon impression, eh?

Robot Arm
03-17-2011, 04:21 PM
According to the Sony Jeopardy message boards (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showpost.php?p=919696&postcount=9), it hasn't happened in regular game season play since 1987, and has also happened in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions.I remember seeing it happen, but I had no idea it had been that long ago.

The way I remember it, when there was just one player in Final, they would show his wager first, and then his answer; keeping the only suspenseful part 'til the end. I was surprised they didn't do it that way last night.

fiddlesticks
03-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Huh, I could have sworn that happened during Jennings' run... Felt sorry for the poor folks, they both got flustered.

Eyebrows 0f Doom
03-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I was really hoping he would bet it all! It was the one chance he'd have to possibly get a huge win, and if not he was still guaranteed to come back the next day anyway. Unless it was a category you knew you had no knowledge of, I don't know why you wouldn't bet a ton!

notfrommensa
03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
IIRC (no cite) that one of the former Jeopardy! contestants said you have to win something (at least $1) for it to be considered a win. So, if that is true, he would had to be Cliff Claven-esque, to bet it all.

pinkfreud
03-17-2011, 06:53 PM
IIRC (no cite) that one of the former Jeopardy! contestants said you have to win something (at least $1) for it to be considered a win. So, if that is true, he would had to be Cliff Claven-esque, to bet it all.When I was a Jeopardy contestant (in 2008), we were told by the contestant coordinator that a player must win at least $1 in order to become a "champ" and go on to the next game. If everyone finishes with zero or negative scores, three new contestants would play next time.

TreacherousCretin
03-17-2011, 08:10 PM
When I was a Jeopardy contestant (in 2008), we were told by the contestant coordinator that a player must win at least $1 in order to become a "champ" and go on to the next game. If everyone finishes with zero or negative scores, three new contestants would play next time.

Thanks for clarifying that. Although I posted my comment as a statement of fact, I was in fact asking.

Dewey Finn
03-17-2011, 08:36 PM
So did the guy bet anything on Final or did he wimp out?
Wimped. He bet $400 (and got the answer right, natch).
No, he bet $1,200 although he had $29,200. I'd have bet almost all the money, like $29,000 of it.

Kamino Neko
03-17-2011, 11:39 PM
No, he bet $1,200 although he had $29,200. I'd have bet almost all the money, like $29,000 of it.

I'd have gone $29,199. Get it wrong (which I didn't) still a dollar and a chance to come back. Get it right, huge payoff.

I was SO pissed at him for not doing that.

Marley23
03-18-2011, 12:05 AM
I've always told myself that if I were a multiple returning champion and found myself in that situation, I'd risk everything except a couple of dollars. That's a risk I'd want to take. A couple of weeks ago I was pretty harsh on a woman who had a game won and blew it by betting too much on FJ, but I'd be willing to potentially throw away some money going for a big bet like that if nobody could catch me.

Fiddle Peghead
03-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Suppose he bet it all, answered incorrectly, ended up with zero dollars. He still would have won.

And how about that Nixon impression, eh?

Dude's funny. Looks like a cross between Adam Carolla and Frankenstein.

Sigmagirl
03-18-2011, 08:44 AM
He looks a lot like Adam Carolla.

In a category like "vocabulary," I'd have bet a lot more than that, especially if there was no chance I'd lose the game. Even numbers are one of my little OCD things, so if I had $29,200 I'd probably have bet $10,800 to come out with $40,000. Of course, maybe he just isn't comfortable with that category -- it would be like me getting "Asian Geography." I would have bet a buck.

Wheelz
03-18-2011, 09:41 AM
When I was a Jeopardy contestant (in 2008), we were told by the contestant coordinator that a player must win at least $1 in order to become a "champ" and go on to the next game. If everyone finishes with zero or negative scores, three new contestants would play next time.A related question: What's the lowest winning dollar amount they've ever had?

notfrommensa
03-18-2011, 10:13 AM
A related question: What's the lowest winning dollar amount they've ever had?

$1

Jeopardy! records (http://www.oddchange.com/jdoc/records.html)

unwashed brain
03-18-2011, 10:52 AM
What was the Final Jeopardy question? Don't tell me the answer, as I'm mentally betting it all and want to see if I win. :-)

Kamino Neko
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
From J! Archive:

Category: Vocabulary.

Pronounced one way, this 7-letter word can mean unjustified: pronounced another, it's someone sickly.

Jack Batty
03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
What is 'invalid', Alex

BubbaDog
03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I'd have gone $29,199. Get it wrong (which I didn't) still a dollar and a chance to come back. Get it right, huge payoff.

I was SO pissed at him for not doing that.

I could understand his reluctance. Sometimes the categories that appear the easiest in final jeopardy are the ones that are the killers. So put yourself in his place.

$29,200 in my pocket, its my money.........or risk partially or all of it on a question that is known to sometimes be a killer. Again, everybody else went home. It's MY money.

No way I would wager all of it. I'd wager just enough to feel a little pain or pleasure
from the outcome.

$1200 - if I lose it that knocks the navigation package off of that car I wanted to buy. If I win it then the I'm adding the sun roof.

Kamino Neko
03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I could understand his reluctance. Sometimes the categories that appear the easiest in final jeopardy are the ones that are the killers. So put yourself in his place.

I did put myself in his place. That's why I headdesked when he bet almost nothing.

'Can't lose' makes 'betting almost nothing' an absolutely stupid move. And I'm really a highly risk-adverse type.

OK, maybe he didn't need to bet almost all of it, but 5 grand is the absolute minimum I could...respect isn't the word, but not disrespect.

A loss == don't get 29 grand, but get to come back for more. A win == get almost 60 grand.

There was literally nothing to lose. If you're so attached to your virtual money (and until he finishes his run, that's all it is - virtual money) that you're not going to risk losing some to get some (he doesn't seem to be, though - 1/3 of his score was from Daily Doubles), you shouldn't be on a game show that involves wagering.

notfrommensa
03-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Being the OCD person that I am, I would wagered $800 (and got it wrong). Or if I was a defending champ, I would have wagered something that would have brought my total winnings ending in '000'.

As found as Ken Jennings was in wanting to win in $5000 increments, I cannot believe he never wagered (IIRC) to get his total winnings to a $5000 increment. When he a had a runaway win

unwashed brain
03-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I didn't get it. :-(

sachertorte
03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
I didn't get it either, but word recall isn't my thing.

If I were to wimp out on Jeopardy, I'd bet zero and then get the answer wrong whether I knew the answer or not.

Chronos
03-18-2011, 03:44 PM
In a situation like this, you should either wager as much as you can (if you think your likelihood of getting it right is greater than 50%) or as little as you can (if you think your likelihood is less than 50%). Things change if you're wagering money you actually need, but game show winnings will almost never fall into that category.

Autolycus
03-19-2011, 01:57 AM
I consider myself quite good at all things words, but I would not have got it. Suck it, Trebek.

While I understand the arguments regarding the wagering of virtual money, I know how often I don't get Final Jeopardy even when I consider it a sure thing, so I would have played it safe and just wagered enough to make me a little extra happy if I got it or slightly dismayed if I lost, something akin to about 5000$ I'd say. I will say that wagering absolutely nothing reeks with the air of cowardice and lame-dom.

Jack Batty
03-19-2011, 06:11 AM
I would have got it, as demonstrated above ... but I would have needed about 10 minutes to come up with it.

Marc Xenos
03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Jeopardy and pre-Trebek days... Am I THAT old? I do remember Wheel of Fortune when it was Chuck Woolery and some woman named Susie. In the early afternoons!

I have a knack for remembering nearly every face I've ever seen. The problem is that I have NO clue where from. And you learn REAL fast never to use the phrase, "Haven't we met somewhere before?"

So one day, I happened to be in NYC doing a small job at the Museum of Broadcasting. In the Director's office, I saw a young lady who looked familiar, but I just couldn't place her. So I did ask her, "You look familiar. Are you on a TV show?" To which she gave a disdainful look and ignored me. It wasn't until a couple months later when I happened to see Wheel of Fortune that I realized it was Vanna White.

Bryan Ekers
03-19-2011, 11:42 AM
If he was alone and knew the answer, couldn't he just say it before the music started?