PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Cold Spring, New York

Mr. Excellent
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
So, I'm going hiking in Cold Spring next weekend. Since I'm an unathletic, pallid slob of a man who normally endures sunshine for only the briefest of moments whilst scurrying roach-like from coffee-shop to pizza-shop to bar to home and videogame-console, I could use some advice:

1.) I'll be getting to Cold Spring via Metro North - can anyone recommend a fun, relatively easy trail within walking distance of the train station? Breakneck Ridge is right out - think something more like a casual walk through the woods, occasionally strenuous but nothing an inexperienced hiker couldn't do.

2.) What's a good place for dinner, also in walking distance of the train station? I'd prefer something moderately classy/romantic - but on the flip side, it has to be willing to seat a couple folks in t-shirts and jeans who've been hiking for several hours. Bit of a trade-off there.

3.) Anything else I should know about the village? Easy-to-miss wine bar, art gallery worth seeing, side-street paved with gold?

Thanks, Teeming Millions!

mack
07-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Being that Cold Spring is right on the Hudson, and right where the Appalachians go through, pretty much any place you go from town is going to be up. Here's a local place (http://www.hudsonvalleyoutfitters.com/) (I got there from here (http://www.hvgateway.com/CS01.HTM))that might have the information you're looking for. I saw this hike on their website but it looks like it might be too strenuous:

Bull Hill/Mt. Taurus 3.8 miles - Intermediate

This trailhead is walking distance from the Cold Spring Train Station. The trail starts up a sparsely wooded area headed for an abandoned quarry. As the trail climbs steeply it offers fantastic views over the Hudson to Storm King, Breakneck Ridge, the Shawangunks, and finally the Catskills in the far distance.

Here's a more detailed description (http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Mt_Taurus_5602.asp) so I guess the 3.8 miles is one way :eek:. Maybe you can just go up the trail to a nice view, have a little picnic, and call it a day. Might be worth getting in touch with the shop in the first link.

I haven't done any hiking there but I went through that area one winter and was so awestruck I briefly explored moving up there. It was one of those windy overcast stark winter days with snow on the tops of the mountains that rise out of the river.

corkboard
07-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I went to a wedding there once, about 16 years ago. Beautiful area. The only other thing I can tell you about it is that it's not Cold Spring Harbor, NY, which someone should have told the best man, who didn't realize the difference, to hilarious consequences. For the rest of us, anyway.

cochrane
07-21-2011, 06:20 PM
I went to a wedding there once, about 16 years ago. Beautiful area. The only other thing I can tell you about it is that it's not Cold Spring Harbor, NY, which someone should have told the best man, who didn't realize the difference, to hilarious consequences. For the rest of us, anyway.

But it's all in a New York state of mind. :D

Little Nemo
07-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Cold Spring is built mostly on a hill side, rising up from the Hudson River. The train runs right along the river so when you get off at the Cold Spring station, you'll be down at the bottom.

Main Street is, well, the main street of the town. You can walk up it and there are dozens of little stores and restaurants along Main Street. Lots of antiques and art and crafts and that type of thing.

I used to go to Cold Spring because they had a good bookstore and record store. But both are now closed. I never ate much in Cold Spring because I lived in the next town over so I can't recommend any restaurants.

There's a lot of nice scenery in the area but I don't know any specific hiking trails within walking distance of the town.