PDA

View Full Version : Do men live with poodles?

mangeorge
08-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I like (standard) poodles, and plan to adopt one when I retire. My friend Matt wants me to adopt a more "manly" dog, and says men don't have poodles.
It's that last part I disagree with.
So my only question is, do many men have standard poodles as companions?
I'm not looking for opinions, just the facts (ma'am).
Peace,
mamgeorge

madmonk28
08-11-2011, 02:42 PM
John Steinbeck certainly did, his book Charley and Me is about his travels through the US with his standard (not automatic) poodle.

ethelbert
08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Poodles are great dogs. I think they are plenty manly as long as you don't get one of those fancy clips that show dogs use. There is a reason they are used in so many cross breeds. My brother has a labradoodle and I love that dog. Maybe you could get one of those if you think that makes them more manly.

You will, however, need to groom your poodle or pay someone else to do it. The first time you say "I'm sorry I can't watch the game, I have to groom my poodle" you will feel somewhat less masculine, but I imagine it gets better with time.

Morgenstern
08-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Poodles are actually one of the smarter dog breeds. I'm told they are pretty easy to train.

Lestrade
08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
My father has two and is plenty manly.

It doesn't feel so GQ in here, I'm frightened.

Rachellelogram
08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
One of my guy friends who still lived with his parents had a small poodle mix (it looked mostly poodly, and it was black and very small). His dad loved the hell out of that dog, and so did he.

Why you hang around people who take broad gender stereotypes seriously might be a better question ;)

Merneith
08-11-2011, 03:39 PM
James Thurber had a standard poodle whom he adored. He wrote several lovely pieces about her. He also had a Scotty with whom he had a very frosty relationship.

Poodles are smart, affectionate and playful. Matt sounds like kind of a twerp. Easy choice, imo.

Nawth Chucka
08-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I know a guy who's a second-generation Standard poodle owner, a hobby he picked up from his father. The breed has specific health problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poodle#Health), however, and he's already lost one poodle to GDV, a fast-acting and horrible way for any animal to die.

thelurkinghorror
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Poodles are actually one of the smarter dog breeds. I'm told they are pretty easy to train.

#2 according to one metric.

Toy poodles are one the most effeminate dogs you can own (GQ answer althouhg I expect a move). Standard poodles are fine. Not extremely "manly," but not "girly" either.

Chronos
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Miniature or toy poodles have almost nothing in common with standard poodles. Toy poodles are living ornaments. Standard poodles are hunting dogs.

Bosstone
08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Wikipedia entry on poodles. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poodle)

Look at the top picture on the page. Does that look like a prissy froo-froo chick's dog? FUCK NO. That is a BEAST. That is an untamed fucking hound of goddamn hell and it WILL EAT YOUR FACE.

You can't run from poodles.

You can't hide from them. They will SNIFF your SMELLY ass out, and then EAT IT. ALONG WITH YOUR FACE.

It takes a man of unbreakable will and character to control one of those vicious things.

Rhythmdvl
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Some men wear skirts. Some of them aren't even Scottish. Some men carry a purse, though they may also call it a 'murse'. Some men paint their nails and wear mascara, though they aren't prone to heels. Whatever.

It all comes down to the expression: it takes a big man to cry, and a bigger man to laugh at that man.

It's not like you're asking if it's manly (or if many men) to wear a brown belt or to order peas instead of carrots. Poodles are known as girly dogs, whether they can eat you with or without Splenda brand non-caloric sweetener. It's certainly possible for a man to own one, but with limited exception, he starts off one chit behind on his man card. If full points are important, then it matters. If not, then whatever the general public thinks is nonconsequential.

Bosstone
08-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Poodles are known as girly dogs, whether they can eat you with or without Splenda brand non-caloric sweetener.Unfortunate, because they are hunting dogs.

thelurkinghorror
08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Oh should say: turn in your man card if you ever do this to your poodle (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Corded_Standard_Poodle_black.jpg). It's not so much "unmanly" though as much as "butt-ugly."

Or this miniature (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/CH_Renaissance_Hopeful_Impulse.jpg) (bigger than a toy), who looks incredibly pissed.

Living Well Is Best Revenge
08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Standard (real) poodles are about as manly as a dog gets.

kunilou
08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
I (a man) am now on my second standard poodle. I keep it trimmed in a short cut, not a show cut. "The beast" weighs 60 pounds, it runs, it fetches, it knows tricks and every once in awhile it tries to hump another dog, even though it was neutered while still a puppy.

How much more manly can you get than trying to have sex even though you're castrated?

astorian
08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Large poodles were originally bred to be hunting and retrieving dogs. Their temperament is often much like a Labrador's.

Meaning they're surprisingly rugged, outdoorsy dogs who love swimming, when they get a chance.

Men who THINK poodles are prissy, feminine dogs would be surprised at how "macho" they can be.

Cat Whisperer
08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Everything I've heard about regular poodles is that they're great dogs. If you meet a poodle you like and want to adopt it, I say go for it and tell Matt that he should worry less about what other people think.

salinqmind
08-11-2011, 05:36 PM
My experience, growing up in a house that supported three successive standard poodles is, they are superb animal companions whether you are still wearing your high school tighty-whities or a stylish turquoise thong. I would caution, however, they seem to be one-man dogs. If you live alone, Pierre will be your bestest buddy, but if you have a significant other, Pierre may form a bond with them.

ThisSpaceForRent
08-11-2011, 05:38 PM
ANY dog...individual or breed that can run and FINISH the Iditarod is ANYTHING but wimpy...

Poodles in the Iditarod (http://thepoodleanddogblog.typepad.com/the_poodle_and_dog_blog/2008/02/poodles-in-the.html)

another link... (http://home.gci.net/~poodlesleddog/)

SnowDogsGo

astorian
08-11-2011, 05:45 PM
ANY dog...individual or breed that can run and FINISH the Iditarod is ANYTHING but wimpy...

Poodles in the Iditarod (http://thepoodleanddogblog.typepad.com/the_poodle_and_dog_blog/2008/02/poodles-in-the.html)

another link... (http://home.gci.net/~poodlesleddog/)

SnowDogsGo

Even Yukon Cornelius had a poodle on his sled team, you know!

Tamerlane
08-11-2011, 05:55 PM
My cat, Rupert, is named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert_of_the_Rhine) largely because of Prince Rupert's association with his poodle Boy (http://www.poodlehistory.org/PARMY.HTM). Prince Rupert, general and admiral, seems manly enough from where I sit.

yabob
08-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Poodles do have to be clipped regularly because of the nature of their coats, but keep in mind that this is a dog, not a topiary, and you'll be fine.

ctnguy
08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm reminded of this utterly hilarious story told by Dan Savage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TXRHqLCWng) about his family's toy poodle. (edit: possibly NSFW for strong language)

Marley23
08-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I've known men who had both standard and miniature poodles. Alright- I guess the standard poodle belonged to both my grandparents, but I think it as primarily my grandfather's dog. They can be used as hunting dogs and they're very normal-looking if you don't give them the crazy show dog haircut.

Toucanna
08-11-2011, 06:21 PM
...keep in mind that this is a dog, not a topiary, and you'll be fine.
Oh, yeah? Tell it to these folks (http://www.photooutpost.com/photo-essay-crazy-poodle-grooming/)! (SFW, lotsa silly pix)

picunurse
08-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Standard poodles were originally bred as retrievers (http://www.lakelandhuntingpoodles.com/). How much more manly do you want?

Peremensoe
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Oh, yeah? Tell it to these folks (http://www.photooutpost.com/photo-essay-crazy-poodle-grooming/)! (SFW, lotsa silly pix)

See, this is the problem. There might not be anything wrong with the dog. But you'll be linking yourself to these people.

Shagnasty
08-11-2011, 08:16 PM
The only standard poodle I have ever known well was my MIL's late Maxwell Sebastian. There was something just...off about that dog. Everyone just accepted that he was a flaming dog because every move and look he made exuded it. He was obviously smart but didn't use it for anything cool. He sulked in depression most of the time and he was quite pissy. I would walk in ready to sit down and watch TV and there he would be laying on his back taking up most of the couch belly up with his head resting a pillow and his paws daintily laid over his face. He would just glance up long enough to give you a go to hell look and make this weird lip move movements before he ignored you completely again.

He knew all the basic tricks but they were painful to watch. Paw shakes were like a virgin princess offering her wrist for a kiss. Sitting was an overly precise affair. I had to take him on walks in Boston's Back Bay a number of times and it was it was mortifying. I have never felt less manly in my entire life and I even had a pet Shih Tzu once. Don't think I am projecting either. Maxwell Sebastian got plenty of comments based on mannerisms from strangers over the years. I love almost all dogs and have owned many of them but he was an usual case. I know not all standard poodles are like that but the possibility exists so you better know that if you get a Standard Poodle puppy.

mangeorge
08-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm reminded of this utterly hilarious story told by Dan Savage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TXRHqLCWng) about his family's toy poodle. (edit: possibly NSFW for strong language)
Dan's hilarious, alright. I used to read his Savage Love column in, I think it was, the Bay Guardian. Advice and humor.
Hey Faggot, if you happen to read this, you're doing great. :p
(for what it's worth, I'm not gay.) :)
Peace,
mangeorge

Tibby or Not Tibby
08-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Do men live with poodles?

I would feel absolutely chock-full of testosterone if I were lucky enough to live with a Standard Poodle. My wife and daughters came home one day a few years back (without telling me where they were going or what they doing) with what I thought was a rather large powderpuff applicator, but turned out instead to be, a schnoodle (http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f183/docdanz/Chloe/d.jpg). Here's what I've learned since that day: some dogs can't take the hint that they should wander off and live elsewhere when you drop-kick them out the door; a man's genitals actually shrink when he say's the word, "schnoodle"; and being seen walking a schnoodle by a man walking a poodle gives him license to look at you like you're light in the loafers.

mangeorge
08-11-2011, 08:31 PM
See, this is the problem. There might not be anything wrong with the dog. But you'll be linking yourself to these people.
No, I won't. I think it looks weird, but as long as the dogs are happy, I'm happy.
I want my pooch to look like those retrievers linked to by picunurse.
I don't hunt, btw.

mangeorge
08-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Do men live with poodles?

I would feel absolutely chock-full of testosterone if I were lucky enough to live with a Standard Poodle. My wife and daughters came home one day a few years back (without telling me where they were going or what they doing) with what I thought was a rather large powderpuff applicator, but turned out instead to be, a schnoodle (http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f183/docdanz/Chloe/d.jpg). Here's what I've learned since that day: some dogs can't take the hint that they should wander off and live elsewhere when you drop-kick them out the door; a man's genitals actually shrink when he say's the word, "schnoodle"; and being seen walking a schnoodle by a man walking a poodle gives him license to look at you like you're light in the loafers.
At least the dog is smiling. Dogs do smile.

Cat Whisperer
08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
That looks like smiling to you? It looks like the last thing seen before the Demon Dog ate the cameraman's face.

Jragon
08-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Oh should say: turn in your man card if you ever do this to your poodle (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Corded_Standard_Poodle_black.jpg). It's not so much "unmanly" though as much as "butt-ugly."

The funny thing is, the prissy ugly clips are actually remnants of clips that were intended to make it better at hunting. The weird "half hairless" thing is that it was supposed to keep the hair from snagging, while keeping its vital areas warm and protected from bites. They become popular for nobility and dog groomers because they looked "utilitarian" which was apparently a thing back in France back in the day.

Shagnasty
08-11-2011, 08:51 PM
At least the dog is smiling. Dogs do smile.

Samoyeds like my late, great Bear smile and do it well. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY4oGKNNB7k) Now there was a dog that could be groomed to a polish so refined it would make your eyes hurt and stop traffic but he was certainly manly. Poodles on the other hand can smile but not nearly as well. Maxwell Sebastian got hit by a car when he was a puppy and it broke his jaw so he had permanently pursed lips as a result which didn't help matters any.

mangeorge
08-11-2011, 08:54 PM
That looks like smiling to you? It looks like the last thing seen before the Demon Dog ate the cameraman's face.
I've known lots of dogs, and all 7 of my grandpuppies do that. Even the great dane. Believe me, the pooch is smiling. And loves it's little girl to pieces.
Now go to your room.

Lukeinva
08-11-2011, 08:56 PM
What would John Wayne say about a man and a poodle. That's the question you have to ask yourself.

lavenderviolet
08-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I think the main reason people think poodles are prissy is because of the haircuts. Portugese water dogs are similar in many respects but people dont think of them as prissy because they aren't usually seen in puffy fancy cuts.
I have a miniature poodle mix. I don't get her groomed in a fancy cut. Right now, I have her hair shaved to like 1/4" for the summer and you would never even guess she was a poodle. They look like completely normal dogs if you just have their hair trimmed instead of having it clipped in a fancy cut. You have to work at making them look prissy.

dropzone
08-11-2011, 09:25 PM
That is an untamed fucking hound of goddamn hell and it WILL EAT YOUR FACE.
It takes a man of unbreakable will and character to control one of those vicious things.My wife, who worked in a vet's office, claims that is just how they test if you are worthy of joining the Poodle Club and they really just bite your nose a bit. If you don't flinch you are okay. My daughter's American Bull Terrier let me join the American Bull Terrier Club, but in this case it involved piercing my ear a bit.

The Little Girls are now allowed on our late Collie's bed because she drew blood when the Bull looked at her dinner, but I don't think that was part of any initiation. The Lab cross had hidden the bed when they moved in (honest to God, he shoved it under a cabinet rather than allow them to sully that sacred shrine--he loved her deeply), but now it's okay because the Bull is a pain but was given what for by a creature a quarter her size.

He didn't like being an Alpha and apparently attitude counts for more than size when determining an Alpha. And this was the Beta Little Girl. The Alpha is nastier.

dropzone
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
...a man's genitals actually shrink when he say's the word, "schnoodle"...Been bit by two dogs: a Malamute when I was asking for it and a Miniature Poodle when I wasn't. Nasty creatures.

dropzone
08-11-2011, 09:31 PM
The Little Girls are now allowed on our late Collie's bed because ONE OF THEM drew blood when the Bull looked at her dinnerCorrected that, too late.

longPath
08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I live with four Standard Poodles.
Loads of fun!

Nawth Chucka, the guy you know, is he from MD, now living in Canada?

Arrendajo
08-11-2011, 09:43 PM
We had a standard poodle for years when we were kids. He was friendly and smart, if a bit high-strung. He was also an excellent watch dog. He missed nothing that moved anywhere on the acreage. He was also a good looking dog, silvery grey. We got his coat clipped once a year in an allover short cut, and let it grow so that by winter he had a nice think coat to protect him from the cold. He lived outdoors, year round, in southeastern Idaho. That's manly. I believe poodles also have that odd walking gait where they move front and back legs on one side forward and back at the same time. Ours did, anyway, when walking. When running it was hard to tell, 'cause he could go about 30 mph. I wouldn't hesitate to get a poodle for a pet, if I wanted a dog.

Tibby or Not Tibby
08-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Well, actually youíre both correct. Itís a smile, because wee Daisy (yeah, having a schnoodle isnít emasculating enough, letís pay dad back for all the chores he's made us do and give the dog a really effeminate name, so's he has to tell people, "we have a schnoodle and her name is Daisy") is quite pleased that sheís stolen my youngest ones affection; but itís also a veiled sneer, warning me that I'd better not attempt winning back youngest daughterís affection, lest risk losing a finger, or worse, into the black void lurking beyond those deceptively sharp teeth.

Nawth Chucka
08-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I live with four Standard Poodles.
Loads of fun!

Nawth Chucka, the guy you know, is he from MD, now living in Canada?Nope, NJ to CT.

Ponch8
08-11-2011, 10:51 PM
When I was little, my family had a standard poodle named Ponch (along with Erik Estrada, the origin of my username). She was extremely sweet and intelligent. One time she even rang the doorbell at the front door when she escaped from the backyard (although I suspect she just jumped and hit the doorbell by accident).:) Matt sounds like a moron.

Attack from the 3rd dimension
08-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Attackdog is a standard poodle. He's 80 pounds, lean, smart, loyal and hands down the best dog I've ever had or known. He's extremely well behaved, and when he doesn't have anything to do, he passes out on the floor - he's not high strung. He's fantastic with kids, and clearly would fight if the pack were threatened, but is generally extremely friendly.

Also, Winston Churchill had a poodle named Rufus. This answers the OP's question with a 'yup'.

thelabdude
08-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I once read that some ''expert'' said men could have a Poodle as long as it was a standard. I feel sorry for any man that having a toy Poodle would compromise his manhood.

Poodles are hunting dogs? http://www.vipoodle.org/

Colibri
08-11-2011, 11:42 PM
So my only question is, do many men have standard poodles as companions?
I'm not looking for opinions, just the facts (ma'am).

I think what you're getting is mostly opinions and anecdotes, so let's move this over to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

constanze
08-12-2011, 04:45 AM
I like (standard) poodles, and plan to adopt one when I retire. My friend Matt wants me to adopt a more "manly" dog, and says men don't have poodles.

If you want to adopt the poodle, why does it matter what your friend wants? He can adopt a bulldog or pitbull or whatever to make him feel more manly.

You can also tell him that being a man doesn't depend on outer accessories.

mangeorge
08-12-2011, 08:42 AM
I think what you're getting is mostly opinions and anecdotes, so let's move this over to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Good. My question has been well answered, and now we're just having fun!
Peace,
mangeorge

mangeorge
08-12-2011, 08:47 AM
If you want to adopt the poodle, why does it matter what your friend wants? He can adopt a bulldog or pitbull or whatever to make him feel more manly.

Oh, I will adopt a poodle. A female. I'll name her "Georgia".
Neither of us actuall know many people with standard poodles, I'm simply countering his (friendly) arguement.
I thank you all, and well done.

Czarcasm
08-12-2011, 10:39 AM
John Steinbeck certainly did, his book Charley and Me is about his travels through the US with his standard (not automatic) poodle.I believe you are confusing Steinbeck's Travels with Charley: In Search of America with Grogan's Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog.

Weaver
08-12-2011, 01:43 PM
From Wolves in Sheeps Clothing: The Badass Roots of 5 Sissy Dogs (http://www.cracked.com/article_16471_wolves-in-sheeps-clothing-badass-roots-5-sissy-dogs.html) :

Some of the poodle's early history is most faithfully detailed in war memoirs, even by Napoleon himself. The poodle's role was primarily that of a morale-boosting mascot, but multiple accounts captured the breed in acts of gallantry that makes Lassie's attendance to Timmy in the well glorified babysitting.

There was a particularly rich history about a poodle named Moustache who was not only credited with detecting an Austrian spy (saving his company from surprise attack), but freeing the regimental colors from a mortally wounded ensign in order to deliver it in triumph to the front lines. Michael Bay would cream himself getting to capture something that bold and evocative on film, provided he was allowed to release a towering napalm explosion in the background.

Speaking of Michael Bay abortions, immediately following the WWII attack on Pearl Harbor, the U.S. military selected the poodle among a very limited set of breeds to augment day to day defenses (guarding forts, munitions plants, etc.) and even solicited help finding them:

The poodle's roots run just as deep as a hunting dog, as their speed and keen senses made them particularly valued as bird hunting companions. The now stylish "Poodle clip" complete with pom-poms of fur was an evolution of a cut done by hunters to help the dogs move through the water more efficiently.

Sigmagirl
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
What would John Wayne say about a man and a poodle. That's the question you have to ask yourself.
John Wayne would tell you to go fuck yourself and then his poodle would bite you in the ass.

mangeorge
08-12-2011, 02:39 PM
I believe you are confusing Steinbeck's Travels with Charley: In Search of America with Grogan's Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog.
How so? Here's Steinbeck's story;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travels_with_Charley:_In_Search_of_America
Do you mean the title?
Good read, anyway.

FasterThanMeerkats
08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Had a standard poodle when I was growing up on 40 acres in Tennessee. Am seriously thinking about getting a poodle now, but either a toy or miniature because I live in a townhouse in the city.

You can keep the fru-fruness of them down by getting a normal cut without the pom poms. I always thought those looked dumb and poodles look just fine without them.

They're smart, don't shed, and are good for people with allergies (and guests with allergies).

purplehorseshoe
08-12-2011, 02:51 PM
My childhood dog was a poodle (miniature). They're so incredibly intuitive about people. Plus, most dogs tend to be either smart-and-think-for-themselves OR smart-and-obedient and poodles manage a happy medium quite nicely.

And, having been around golden retrievers, etc. the no shedding thing is niiiiiiiice.

RIP, Tina. (I named her after Tina Turner, for some reason. Ever get fixated on some random celebrity as a kid?)

Czarcasm
08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
How so? Here's Steinbeck's story;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travels_with_Charley:_In_Search_of_America
Do you mean the title?
Good read, anyway.Yes-I was referring to the title.

Ibanez
08-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I love dogs and would likely love a poodle. But as a male I have a no Fru-Fru rule for canines. But it's better than a Yorkie.

akira5822
08-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I have a minature phantom poodle Bosworth, i have no issues with owning a poodle, Than again im very secure in my hetrosexuality.

Cat Whisperer
08-12-2011, 03:55 PM
<snip>

Well, there are a couple that you need. :)

mangeorge
08-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a minature phantom poodle Bosworth, i have no issues with owning a poodle, Than again im very secure in my hetrosexuality.
Did you watch ctnguy's link in Post #26 (I think)? Cool!

lavenderviolet
08-12-2011, 06:36 PM
I know a guy who's a second-generation Standard poodle owner, a hobby he picked up from his father. The breed has specific health problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poodle#Health), however, and he's already lost one poodle to GDV, a fast-acting and horrible way for any animal to die.

It's worth noting that nowadays in breeds prone to GDV/bloat, you do have the option of having a gastropexy performed (basically suturing the stomach to the side of their abdomen so it doesn't twist on itself and kill the animal). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_gastropexy
If I were to get a dog that was from a breed prone to bloat, I'd do it. Even if it's expensive upfront, it's worth it to avoid the chance of an emergency surgery later that the dog might not survive.
I've heard that it is fairly common now to have this done when a dog from a bloat prone breed is spayed (since you're going in the abdomen anyway for that) but I am sure if you asked you could have it done on a male animal who was under for neutering.

chiroptera
08-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Ditto everyone else who's pointed out that there's nothing sissy about a standard poodle!

Gastroplexy isn't a 100 percent guarantee, GDV-prone breeds can still bloat and torse (is that a word) despite being stapled. It's a good idea but no guarantee; I know someone who lost a stapled bloodhound. Better - if buying from a serious breeder, make sure they don't breed dogs with a history of GDV and other common breed ailments in their bloodlines. There may be a genetic predisposition to it. (I've owned a somewhat bloat-prone breed for 27 years, so I've done a bit of research on this.) If you're going the rescue route, that's not an option but you can read up on GDV online, lots of info about it. Keep activated charcoal on hand, and if you're the prepare-for-all-emergencies type, a bloat kit (http://www.twinoaksbh.com/gdvbloat.html).

Mainly I posted to say that I knew a fairly manly-man who owned an Italian Greyhound. (http://www.akc.org/breeds/italian_greyhound/) Which is a very small, very delicate-looking sighthound. He had a tee shirt that read "It Takes a Big Man to Walk a Little Dog."

Squee! New poodle. You da man.

salinqmind
08-13-2011, 01:24 PM

You mean what would on-screen John Wayne say. Real life John Wayne was hardly a taciturn, uneducated shit-kicker in cowboy drag 24/7. I bet he would have loved a nice big standard poodle.

AuntiePam
08-13-2011, 02:00 PM
What's in a name? With poodles, it's mostly the cutesy name that makes them seem feminine, then the frou-frou haircuts.

elmwood
08-13-2011, 02:52 PM
My own personal experience: about 13 years ago, I bought my very first house. After renovations were complete, I decided that a dog would truly complete my new home. I'm allergic to dogs on paper, so I stuck to non-shedding breeds. There was a local Standard Poodle rescue group, so I tried contacting them. Two or three emails, a few phone calls ... they didn't give me the time of day. I dig a bit deeper into their Web site, and checked out the photos of recently rescued dogs and their new owners. All of the new owners were women. I bought a Portuguese Water Dog puppy from a well-respected breeder instead.

Do a Google image search for "men with poodles". The results aren't flattering.

08-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention this but Attackdog's nickname is Chick-magnet.

When we lived in Vancouver I couldn't get half a block on walkies without attractive young women stopping us. This has always struck me as a manly man kind of problem.

Muffin
08-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Standard poodles were originally bred as retrievers (http://www.lakelandhuntingpoodles.com/).My great uncle bred and trained standard poodles as hunting dogs. They did not have fou=fou cuts.

mangeorge
08-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Do a Google image search for "men with poodles". The results aren't flattering.
We've sorta done that right here!
Anyway, I'm going to adopt a poodle in spite of any gender bias. I'll just teach her a secret "rip out the throat" phrase in french.
To clarify, when I was a kid, there was supposed to be a secret german phrase which told a german shepherd (police dog) to rip out your enemy's throat. ;)

Nawth Chucka
08-13-2011, 05:57 PM
We've sorta done that right here!
Anyway, I'm going to adopt a poodle in spite of any gender bias. I'll just teach her a secret "rip out the throat" phrase in french.
To clarify, when I was a kid, there was supposed to be a secret german phrase which told a german shepherd (police dog) to rip out your enemy's throat. ;)
Hooray for your poodle adoption! I look forward to hearing tales from puppy-training classes soon!

Tamerlane
08-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I bought a Portuguese Water Dog puppy from a well-respected breeder instead.

I think that is a neat breed, but jeez louise are they expensive. Also, they are quite capable of being pansied up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C%C3%A3o_de_agua_Portugu%C3%AAs_1.jpg) :D.

But I'll grant that Portuguese Water Dog does somehow sound better than Poodle.

mangeorge
08-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Here is the dog my good friend Matt suggests I adopt;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouvier_des_Flandres
Pretty cool, but I want a poodle.

Nawth Chucka
08-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Here is the dog my good friend Matt suggests I adopt;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouvier_des_Flandres
Pretty cool, but I want a poodle.

Stick w/ the poodle. Bouviers are higher maintenance.

08-13-2011, 07:08 PM
I think that is a neat breed, but jeez louise are they expensive. Also, they are quite capable of being pansied up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C%C3%A3o_de_agua_Portugu%C3%AAs_1.jpg) :D.

When someone asks if he's a golden doodle or some other -oodle, I usually explain that since he has a poodle mother and a poodle father technically he's a poodle-doodle.

Otherwise I tell them he's a Canadian Cougar-Hound.

mangeorge
08-13-2011, 07:26 PM
I've been checking around for a reputable standard poodle breeder. I've always adopted dogs from shelters or privately, sometimes old or disabled dogs who needed a companion until their life was over. That requires a strength I no longer have.
So I'm looking to adopt a standard poodle puppy who has a good chance of growing old with me while can still get around.
How does one go about finding a good breeder? One the AKC-type organizations?
Thanks

elmwood
08-13-2011, 07:33 PM

That's the lion cut, which was actually the original working Poodle cut before the bobs and poofballs became the iconic Poodle coif. It's really only the hardcore PWD aficionados that get lion cuts for their dogs. Most Portie owners prefer retriever trim, the rough equivalent of the "puppy cut" for Standard Poodle owners. Here's my PWDs in retriever cuts (http://i.imgur.com/20n7n.jpg).

Maybe Poodles could earn some more street cred if they were called "German Water Dogs" instead. The "French Water Dog" is the Barbet; the "Italian Water Dog" is the Lagotto Romagnolo, the "Irish Water Dog" is the Irish Water Spaniel, and the "Spanish Water Dog" is ... the Spanish Water Dog. The English Water Dog is extinct.

elmwood
08-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Check the Poodle Club of America (http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/). They'll probably have links to legitimate breeders. Since Poodles are very popular, they're also going to be a lot of backyard breeders; avoid them if you can. A properly bred Standard Poodle puppy, with a champion-filled lineage and all the proper genetic testing performed, probably won't be cheap.

mangeorge
08-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Check the Poodle Club of America (http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/). They'll probably have links to legitimate breeders. Since Poodles are very popular, they're also going to be a lot of backyard breeders; avoid them if you can. A properly bred Standard Poodle puppy, with a champion-filled lineage and all the proper genetic testing performed, probably won't be cheap.
Cool! I found that I don't need a show dog, just one that has a good lineage and is tested,etc.
Now some research.
Thanks

thelabdude
08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I've been checking around for a reputable standard poodle breeder. I've always adopted dogs from shelters or privately, sometimes old or disabled dogs who needed a companion until their life was over. That requires a strength I no longer have.
So I'm looking to adopt a standard poodle puppy who has a good chance of growing old with me while can still get around.
Thanks

It is tough. Too many breeders are only looking at their next title. They talk testing and health. Ask about allergies, bloat, cancer, etc. Also, refuse to take a puppy over 8 weeks old. Cite? http://www.apdt.com/veterinary/assets/pdf/Messer_ND06.pdf

Siam Sam
08-14-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't even want to say what image this thread title conjured up for me.

chiroptera
08-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Cool! I found that I don't need a show dog, just one that has a good lineage and is tested,etc.
Now some research.
Thanks

This (http://www.almosthomerescue.org/breeders/breeders.htm) is pretty good.

I agree with labdude...just because someone shows and has AKC (or UKC or th Canadian KC, not to be confused with the junk registry with the same initials) registered dogs, doesn't mean they're particularly ethical in their breeding practices.

I've never bred a litter of anything nor shown in conformation, but I have bought a couple of dogs from good breeders and know several who do show and breed occasionally. Most litters will have both show- and pet-quality pups, someone good at evaluating the puppies can spot subtle "flaws" that later will preclude the dog from the ring or as a breeding prospect. Also a good breeder will spend time talking to you and will pick the pup for you with the best temparament for your situation.

Go here (http://infodog.com/) and look up dog shows...they're fun to go to as a spectator! While the people showing might be preoccupied with their dogs, there's often lots of down-time during a show and you can chat with people.

PapSett
08-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Another good place to start-join the national breed club, even before you buy. You will most likely get a monthly (or bi-monthly) newsletter, and there will be ads for litters.

I really hate it when the show dog bashing starts. Yes, there are some unethical breeders in the show world, but the vast majority love their dogs, their breed, and they carefully plan their litters, do health testing, etc... they breed for the betterment of the breed. They want their puppies to go into loving, forever homes, and a good, responsible breeder will take that puppy/dog back at any time in its life if the new owners' circumstances change.

Find yourself a good breeder, then stay in touch with them. I bought my first Gordon Setter from such a breeder in 1982... we still get together to train, groom and go to shows & field events.

Tamerlane
08-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes, there are some unethical breeders in the show world, but the vast majority love their dogs, their breed, and they carefully plan their litters, do health testing, etc... they breed for the betterment of the breed.

This is certainly true, but the one potential issue with the above is that definitions of "betterment of the breed" vary. For many serious show breeders the most important item on the list is often appearance. I'm not saying it is the only item on that list, just that is often #1 and that can have unfortunate consequences particularly in breeds known for certain outre physical features like brachycephaly or wrinkled skin. But really any breed.

Though I think good breeders are more cognizant of downsides than maybe they once were due to a better understanding of genetics, temperament and overall health has been compromised before by people with the very best of intentions.

thelabdude
08-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Show breeders lay them selves wide open due to their unremitting attacks on anybody else sellig puppies. People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.

chiroptera
08-14-2011, 03:39 PM
This is certainly true, but the one potential issue with the above is that definitions of "betterment of the breed" vary. For many serious show breeders the most important item on the list is often appearance. I'm not saying it is the only item on that list, just that is often #1 and that can have unfortunate consequences particularly in breeds known for certain outre physical features like brachycephaly or wrinkled skin. But really any breed.

Absolutely.

Which is why IMO it's a good idea to look for people who work their dogs, if it's a working/herding/hunting/field type breed. Either for real, or in trials. Who breed for function and proper temperament as much as form.

There's already a split in the show world; with the appearance and temperament of some breeds being tweaked and softened for the show ring. Border collies and cattle dogs that are pretty as all get-out bred specifically for show, but have none of the edge and working ability that the original purpose-bred herders have. Some terriers bred for tiny size and flowing coat instead of a well-rounded terrier. Couch-potato show Labradors versus field-bred Labs. Over-angulated, hock-kneed Am-bred GSDs. Big pudgy fat-head dysplastic Rottweilers with no drive.

It's true that some horrible genetic flaws have been bred into some breeds because breeders were over-emphasizing features that judges look for in the ring to the exclusion of other features. I have some AKC standard books from the 1930s and 40s; some breeds looked very different 80 years ago and were generally fitter and more capable. The brachycephalic breeds most notably.

However there are indeed a lot of really responsible breeders who aim for a "well-rounded" dog, have litters only very occasionally and are extremely particular about where their puppies go.

mangeorge
08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Absolutely.

Which is why IMO it's a good idea to look for people who work their dogs, if it's a working/herding/hunting/field type breed. Either for real, or in trials. Who breed for function and proper temperament as much as form.

That's exactly what I want. I prefer she not be bred for the beauty contest (sorry, I don't know what else to call it) type. Showing is alright, as long as the dog is happy, it's just that I'm not interested. Healthy and of good temperment is what I'm looking for. She'll be spayed and had anything neccessary done as soon as advisable.

08-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Just since I keep thinking of it, here are some dog pics:

Dog in snow (http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp3/kenghisghan/?action=view&current=snowdog2.jpg)
Dog again (http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp3/kenghisghan/?action=view&current=IMG_1123.jpg)
Blurry, but shows his face a bit better. (http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp3/kenghisghan/?action=view&current=dog2.jpg) Sometimes you can't tell his features from his hair. Note the lack of goofy haircut.
Manly dog laughs at winter (http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp3/kenghisghan/?action=view&current=IMG_1127.jpg).

mangeorge
08-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Just since I keep thinking of it, here are some dog pics:

Dog in snow (http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp3/kenghisghan/?action=view&current=snowdog2.jpg)
Dog again (http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp3/kenghisghan/?action=view&current=IMG_1123.jpg)
Blurry, but shows his face a bit better. (http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp3/kenghisghan/?action=view&current=dog2.jpg) Sometimes you can't tell his features from his hair. Note the lack of goofy haircut.
Manly dog laughs at winter (http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp3/kenghisghan/?action=view&current=IMG_1127.jpg).
Beautiful dog. I took the liberty of looking at the other pics.
That's what I want.
Thanks.
:)

08-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Beautiful dog. I took the liberty of looking at the other pics.
That's what I want.
Thanks.
:)

I know nothing about picking a breeder, but for what it's worth here's where he's from (http://www.parispoodles.com/index.html).

mangeorge
08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I know nothing about picking a breeder, but for what it's worth here's where he's from (http://www.parispoodles.com/index.html).
Cool!
Thanks

chiroptera
08-15-2011, 07:32 PM

That appears to be an excellent breeder!

mangeorge
08-16-2011, 08:46 AM
That appears to be an excellent breeder!
I agree. I'm in the US, but I'd love to have a good excuse to visit Canadia and meet a bunch of Canadans. ;) Not sure what international law and/or the breeder have to say about such an adoption, but it would be easy enough to find out.

E-Sabbath
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Real men respect their poodles. And let them watch TV if they want.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/IMAG0026SnoopyKenzi.jpg
Warning: Poodles love football. And are lap dogs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/Kensie_110208_1012.jpg
They're great with children.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/111-1117_IMG.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/111-1118_IMG.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/111-1119_IMG.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/111-1125_IMG.jpg
But even as a puppy, they're disturbingly aware of the world.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/newpup3014.jpg

Don't worry about the froofy appearance. That's just dressed up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/Kenzi-newcamera6-30-07008.jpg

They're rough and tumble as any other critter.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/0311_StickWrestling_0202_edited-1.jpg

Though they do tend to hog the armrest.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/LaPucelle/106-0674_IMG.jpg

More seriously, if you want a breeder in New York, I can give introductions.

Nava
08-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Poodles are great dogs. I think they are plenty manly as long as you don't get one of those fancy clips that show dogs use.

A thin dog with curly pompoms stuck to some parts of its anatomy doesn't look like a dog. A thin dog with curly, pink-dyed pompoms is an offense unto dogginess. That small but not tiny, long and curly-haired black poodle who was waiting patiently for its owner at the supermarket's door last Friday did very much look like a smart, well-behaved, properly-trained dog.

E-Sabbath
08-16-2011, 10:12 AM
We lost the previous dog to bloat, sadly, the current one is stapled.

Let's see. Poodles are hefty dogs. They're smart enough to figure out how to open lever latched doors. And sliding doors. And knobbed doors (some of them.) Poodles have figured out how to turn on the TV with the remote.

They can get most food within reaching distance from the counter. Consider your average poodle to be able to reach anything within five and a half feet from their rear legs. Poodles tend to be especially fond of one specific food. In the past, we have had a bakery hound, an apple hound, and a carrot hound.

Poodles love having a crate to be in. And toy boxes to keep their toys in. They will put their toys in the box with minor training, and take them out without training.

They learn tricks from other dogs. Not always the tricks you intended them to learn.

They're fairly athletic, and like running quite a bit. Fetching, however, is an individual taste. The current one is frisbee-mad, the previous one didn't care at all.

They're also fantastic with children. Seriously. I remember being very impressed one day when an older poodle of ours, finally grew fed up with a 3 year old beating on her, whipped her head around, and firmly placed her mouth around his hand. It got the meaning across. Not a mark on him.

Some poodles tend to be very paw-centric, too. The opening the door trick, opening food boxes, removing wrappings, can be multiple paw-and-mouth manipulations. They're not raccoons, but they're handy.

08-16-2011, 11:19 AM
They can get most food within reaching distance from the counter. Consider your average poodle to be able to reach anything within five and a half feet from their rear legs. Poodles tend to be especially fond of one specific food. In the past, we have had a bakery hound, an apple hound, and a carrot hound.

Attackdog is very well behaved, if you're clear on what the rules are. He will not go into the kitchen under virtually any circumstances, because we taught him not to. He will not eat off the dining room table. However, any other table it felt to be fair game, and he's very fast and very focused.

Five and a half feet may be an undercall. I've taken him for a walk looked over at him and discovered his body floating along level with my eyes (I'm 5'8"). He had just jumped to head-height for the hell of it. It was like having a balloon dog.

E-Sabbath
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh, sure, jumping's another story. I mean 'on the counter, across a right angle bend, inside the breadbox' where jumping wouldn't help much.

And yes, they do respond well to teaching them rules. They may, however, make up their own rules. Or inferences.