PDA

View Full Version : The War on Halloween has begun!

yanceylebeef
10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Sick of secularists not kowtowing to the "reason for the season" at Christmas, Christians are going after Halloween.

Jesusween. (http://imgur.com/4U16S) Seriously.

Dung Beetle
10-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Yes! Let’s all be Jesusweeners! Wanna see my costume?

Marley23
10-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Sick of secularists not kowtowing to the "reason for the season" at Christmas, Christians are going after Halloween.
What the hell has one got to do with the other?

yanceylebeef
10-06-2011, 01:09 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question, Marley.

I was making a joke.

lieu
10-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Yes! Letís all be Jesusweeners! Wanna see my costume?Is that a crease in your forehead or are you just glad to see me?

aruvqan
10-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Because everybody in the world has not seen the light and converted to whatever shallow view of Christianity these morons have. As if people are not allowed to actually have other beliefs.

Marley23
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM

I was making a joke.
It seems like a plausible POV for someone who supports this idea.

yanceylebeef
10-06-2011, 04:11 PM
So you were wooshed?

Marley23
10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
If that's not the real motivation behind the JesusWeen thing, then yeah, I guess I was. I'll just say "Sweet Zombie Jesus!" and call it a day.

Chronos
10-06-2011, 04:37 PM
And they want it to be a gift-giving festival. In other words, they want to commercialize it.

This is possibly even worse than the time Dad had a say in my Halloween costume. He wanted me to be a Biblical figure, so I wore a sort of loose robe and carried a sling, and went as David. Meanwhile, that year, we also had flashlights with glowy tubes attached to them to increase visibility, but the glowy tubes had witches and bats and stuff on them, and clearly, such Satanic imagery was unacceptable, so the pictures got cut off the tube. And of course, a sling is a really easy thing to overlook, so when folks saw me, they saw a kid in beige robes carrying a long glowy thing, and did I mention that this was in the early 80s? Yeah, I don't think anyone figured out that I was supposed to be David the Giant-Slayer.

emcee2k
10-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Replacing Halloween with some God-related holiday/festival is pretty standard for most churches around here. Is this rare in other places in the US?

dangermom
10-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Where do you live?

I know of a few churches that have "Harvest Festivals" or whatever, which are pretty much Halloween parties without Halloween stuff allowed, but it's not common here (California). I hear about it a lot more from other folks in other parts of the country. Mixing them up for "Jesusween" is pretty bizarre.

My church has a "Trunk or Treat" most years, in which everyone decorates their cars all Halloweeny and gathers in a parking lot for trick-or-treating, pretty much as an excuse to have more Halloween and more candy. Ideally you do it the night before the real thing. Apparently we officially approve of Halloween.

Baker
10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
If one wanted religious costumes they could do like the seminary students did at a party I went to back in the 80's. It was "come as your favorite saint"

So we had a guy in a pink bunny costume as St. Peter of the Cottontail. One guy wore doggy ears, a halo and had a miniature keg at his neck, for St. Bernard. Yves St, Laurent was represented by a guy in evening dress, complete with top hat. The guy who was St, George had a dragon hand puppet. His wife was dressed as a devil, bright red leotards with pointy tail, red top, red satin horns in her bright red hair. She had a figure that really filled out that outfit let me tell you.

Guinastasia
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm so glad I was raised Catholic. (We had Halloween parties at our school. Our principal was a nun who dressed up as a ghost one year.)

We don't do that "Halloween is the devil shit".

Qin Shi Huangdi
10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Haven't they heard of Reformation Day? That actually commeroates something/ :rolleyes:

But before anyone asks, I don't have a problem at all with Halloween.

Simplicio
10-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I went to the website so you don't have to. It basically seems to be a marketing ploy for a set of Christian seminars that start on Oct 31. They just changed the name for the season, the actual group doesn't seem to have anything to say one way or another on the Holiday.

Around here we seem to have a lot of churches that put on Hell-Houses for Halloween, so to the extent that there's a widespread Christian response to Halloween, I think thats it.

emcee2k
10-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Where do you live?

A fairly conservative area of Michigan. "Halloween is Satanic" is a pretty common theme around here.

Maybe "most churches" is overstating it. But it's common enough when I read about "Jesusween", my first thought was "Yeah, and?". It took me a minute to realize this type of stuff must not be that common everywhere.

I've never been unfortunate enough to attend one, but my understanding that there's still (non-Satanic) costumes, candy, and (again, non-Satanic) games, but there's also prayer and singing about God.

FriarTed
10-06-2011, 10:52 PM
The late conservative Baptist Michael "Internet Monk" Spencer, the living Dominionist Reformed theologian James B. Jordan, and the animated conservative Methodist Hank "King of the" Hill are all my heroes here. Pro-Halloween Christians to a man.

My church does a Harvest Party. I have no idea what is said to kids in Sunday School & Youth Group, but at least I've never heard Halloween actually denounced from the pulpit.

Assembly of God, here, in case there's anyone who doesn't know by now.

What I try to get people to realize is that Hallowe'en- the Eve of All Hallows IS The Christian Alternative!

FriarTed
10-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Dammit- I went to the website http://jesusween.com/

Here's what it says-

Jesus Ween is a non for Profit Organisation also known as JesusWin. We are focused on helping people live a better life. We educate people on how best to relate with non for profit organisations that publish devotionals, daily bread and Bibles. We also focused on helping people feel comfortable with volunteering with institutions that help the poor.Throughout the year and especially from October 31st till November 15th we hold several seminars on various helpful topics.

The site is a work in progress so I can't find any details but IF the above is accurate, I just can't bash these people.
Heck, there isn't even any Halloween bashing on the site or their Facebook page!

Dammit.

FriarTed
10-06-2011, 11:15 PM
I was gonna post this on my Facebook-

To my fellow Christians who insist on an alternative to Hallowe'en (tho historically the Eve of All Hallows IS The Christian Alternative to Samhain), fine- do a Harvest Party or a Hallelujah Party or Reformation Day, but do NOT support this grammatically nonsensical Abomination- JesusWeen.

Now I gotta post this on THEIR Facebook-

I'm a pro-Halloween (which is the historic Christian alternative to Samhain) Christian & I appreciate what you all are trying to do. But All Hallows Eve, Harvest Festival. Reformation Day & even Hallulujah Party are already established Christian alternatives. "JesusWeen" doesn't really make grammatical sense (Eve of Jesus?). So I support the effort but the name sounds like a trite wanna-be. Still, carry on with the good work!

Btw- I also have to say this- our church's Harvest Party has always been popular with lots of people in town who don't even attend or visit our church. I've always had to work during it so I never got to volunteer or see it up close but it's never been considered some sort of downer.

Chronos
10-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh, I should also mention: At the church I'm at now, they don't have any official events, but on the Sunday closest to Halloween each year, the organ recessional is always Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. So I'm guessing the priest doesn't have a problem with the day.

Farmer Jane
10-07-2011, 12:35 AM
I passed two churches on my way home that had pumpkins all over them and signs for parties. It weirds me out. If you don't like the holiday, don't participate. Simple.

JohnT
10-07-2011, 02:00 AM

I was making a joke.

Now I'm confused.

You've never heard of "Take Back the Night" Halloween stuff done by churches? Or am I being double-wooshed?

I remember talking to one young lady at work who was going to a TBtN festival at the local Walmart. She asked me if I was going, and I said that, no, being a Catholic we weren't allowed to have any fun on Reformation Day.

"What's that?"
"You know, 'Reformation Day', the anniversary of Martin Luther doing his thing."
"Huh? The civil rights guy? What does he have to do with Halloween?"
"No, not Martin Luther King. Martin Luther."
"Who's he?"
:sigh:
"The guy responsible for you not being a Catholic. Ask your pastor about him someday."

Skywatcher
10-07-2011, 08:30 AM
A fairly conservative area of Michigan. "Halloween is Satanic" is a pretty common theme around here.

Maybe "most churches" is overstating it. But it's common enough when I read about "Jesusween", my first thought was "Yeah, and?". It took me a minute to realize this type of stuff must not be that common everywhere.

I've never been unfortunate enough to attend one, but my understanding that there's still (non-Satanic) costumes, candy, and (again, non-Satanic) games, but there's also prayer and singing about God.

Dammit- I went to the website http://jesusween.com/

Here's what it says-

Jesus Ween is a non for Profit Organisation also known as JesusWin. We are focused on helping people live a better life. We educate people on how best to relate with non for profit organisations that publish devotionals, daily bread and Bibles. We also focused on helping people feel comfortable with volunteering with institutions that help the poor.Throughout the year and especially from October 31st till November 15th we hold several seminars on various helpful topics.

The site is a work in progress so I can't find any details but IF the above is accurate, I just can't bash these people.
Heck, there isn't even any Halloween bashing on the site or their Facebook page!

Dammit.I did some checking. JesusWeen was the brainchild of a pastor (Pentecostal, apparently) in Calgary.

"I think it's an activity that doesn't have anything to do with Christians and I think many Christian families are not knowledgeable to what it's all about. Halloween is not consistent with the Christian faith. Many people say they feel uncomfortable on that day. We think people should choose an alternative activity." - Pastor Paul Ade

Skywatcher
10-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Searching Google's news archive for Pastor Paul's parent church (Christ Embassy, based in Nigeria) returns some interesting stuff. Including, yes, an alleged Nigerian scam.

Jenaroph
10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I did some checking. JesusWeen was the brainchild of a pastor (Pentecostal, apparently) in Calgary.

"I think it's an activity that doesn't have anything to do with Christians and I think many Christian families are not knowledgeable to what it's all about. Halloween is not consistent with the Christian faith. Many people say they feel uncomfortable on that day. We think people should choose an alternative activity." - Pastor Paul Ade

Not to mention, if you dig deep enough into their site, they're advocating dropping Bibles and tracts into the bags of unsuspecting Trick-or-Treaters. OK, so they're not Jack Chick or Fred Phelps. That's still....obnoxious.

Ludovic
10-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm trying to think of a joke about Jesusween concerning pushing the little crucifixes and watching them come up, but I'm drawing a blank.

ZPG Zealot
10-07-2011, 01:59 PM
The Catholic school nearby encourages the kids to dress as saints for the Halloween Party. The kids come up with some incredibly, gory depictions of various martyrs. It's a win-win for everyone.

Chimera
10-07-2011, 05:54 PM
The correct answer to hearing anyone say "Jesusween" is to ask why we need a holiday celebrating Jesus's penis.

Kalypso
10-07-2011, 06:42 PM
A big church here has put up signs for a presentation on exposing Halloween. Here's the link for it: http://www.ctwc.com/mom-can-i-be-a-witch

I've noticed more and more of this over the last few years in central California, I hypothesize it may have some link to the popularity of the Harry Potter series. I think that when they decided HP was evil, they realized they had to also make Halloween evil to avoid being hypocritical.

Simplicio
10-07-2011, 07:40 PM
The correct answer to hearing anyone say "Jesusween" is to ask why we need a holiday celebrating Jesus's penis.

You mean, why would the need another (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Circumcision_of_Christ) holdiay celebrating Jesus's penis.

Skywatcher
10-07-2011, 08:34 PM
A big church here has put up signs for a presentation on exposing Halloween. Here's the link for it: http://www.ctwc.com/mom-can-i-be-a-witch

I've noticed more and more of this over the last few years in central California, I hypothesize it may have some link to the popularity of the Harry Potter series. I think that when they decided HP was evil, they realized they had to also make Halloween evil to avoid being hypocritical.Not the case with the CTWC. They're also tied to Pentecostals.

Regallag_The_Axe
10-08-2011, 10:57 AM
What I try to get people to realize is that Hallowe'en- the Eve of All Hallows IS The Christian Alternative!

Wait, wait, wait... you're telling me Halloween isn't a plot by Aleister Crowley and Anton Lavey to make it socially acceptable to have death metal blood orgies? Damn it, what am I gonna do with all these flyers now?

Qin Shi Huangdi
10-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Hell houses, a most interesting concepthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_house

bump
10-08-2011, 04:40 PM
What kills me is just how retarded the fundamentalist Christians are about all this stuff.

Are they not aware that halloween is a contraction/bastardization of "All Hallows Eve", or the eve of the All Hallows day, which today is called All Saints' Day in the Catholic Church.

In the usual syncretism of the time, the Church combined Christian holidays with existing pagan ones, creating most of the holidays we celebrate today, and keeping a large part of the pagan roots.

Halloween's no more pagan than say... Christmas or Easter, but these knuckleheads seem to think that the imagery makes it so.

Qin Shi Huangdi
10-08-2011, 04:45 PM
What kills me is just how retarded the fundamentalist Christians are about all this stuff.

Are they not aware that halloween is a contraction/bastardization of "All Hallows Eve", or the eve of the All Hallows day, which today is called All Saints' Day in the Catholic Church.

In the usual syncretism of the time, the Church combined Christian holidays with existing pagan ones, creating most of the holidays we celebrate today, and keeping a large part of the pagan roots.

Halloween's no more pagan than say... Christmas or Easter, but these knuckleheads seem to think that the imagery makes it so.

First of all fundamentalists are usually not coterminus with Catholics and some fundamentalists don't like Christmas or Easter that much either.

Chimera
10-08-2011, 08:49 PM
You mean, why would the need another (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Circumcision_of_Christ) holdiay celebrating Jesus's penis.

Silly hellbound! One is for the penis, the other is for the foreskin!

Chimera
10-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Just wait until we introduce The Festival of the Testicles!

It's a two day event, of course

Chronos
10-08-2011, 09:13 PM
There is actually a Testicle Festival around here every year. I've never been brave enough to find out just what it's about, though.

Farmer Jane
10-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I think that if you don't like what a secular holiday is doing, you should just not participate instead of making it something it's not (because you're just aiming to please the little ones who want to dress up and eat candy).

flodnak
10-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Are they not aware that halloween is a contraction/bastardization of "All Hallows Eve", or the eve of the All Hallows day, which today is called All Saints' Day in the Catholic Church.Many fundamentalists don't consider Catholics to be Christians. So at least their ignorance is consistent.

LurkerInNJ
10-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I once had neighbors that objected to my Fall slash Halloween window decor. Pumpkins, witch, bat and black cat cling decals in my windows. They came over to speak with me about the dangerous territory that I was venturing into, and offered to bring me to their church to celebrate Hallowed Ween. I was a bit shocked at how seriously they were taking the whole thing (Halloween).

Death of Rats
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Can I at least slap them for keeping the 'w' from the "Hallow" part, rather then calling it Jesuseen, which would be more grammtically correct?

tomndebb
10-31-2011, 04:23 PM

In the usual syncretism of the time, the Church combined Christian holidays with existing pagan ones, creating most of the holidays we celebrate today, and keeping a large part of the pagan roots.Since the day has arrived and no one else has commented on this point, I should, (in the interest of The Straight Dope), point out that All Saints Day actually preceded any conflation or syncretic borrowing from the Celtic Samhain. The original All Saints Days were celebrated near the Mediterranean in April or May and it was the Germanic and Germanic influenced churches of Germany and England who moved it to November, after which the Celtic churches of Ireland picked it up.
This has been noted, briefly, on the SDMB (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=1597168&postcount=4) with a further expanded link available (http://books.google.com/books?id=t-P24jQyfP0C&pg=PA363&lpg=PA363&dq=made+enduring+contributions+to+the+popular+conception+of+samhain+the+former+was+the+philologist+s ir+john+rhys&source=web&ots=QxDiQOur-2&sig=YN36kJBCrww3kO1Zf0gnv2ROS3M#v=onepage&q=made%20enduring%20contributions%20to%20the%20popular%20conception%20of%20samhain%20the%20former%20 was%20the%20philologist%20sir%20john%20rhys&f=false).

Even the association of Samhain with ghosts appears to be tenuous speculation without serious evidence.

As to our current rowdy celbrations, they have also been addressed on the SDMB:

I present the following examples, not to make anyone wade through lots of text, but because most of them shed slightly different lights on the topic.

what is the real history of Halloween ? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=86383) 09-10-2001

Evidence for the Gregory IV / Samhain connection? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=93656) 10-17-2001

Halloween -- how international is it? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=96366) 10-31-2001

Christian Fundamentalists vs. Halloween (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=141547) 10-28-2002

Halloween & Christianity (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=142036) 10-31-2002

The short (perhaps too short) answer is that Trick-or-Treating came into the U.S. with the Irish immigrants, but that it has nothing to do with ancient Celtic religions or Samhain (a connection that was erroneously created by a couple of late 19th Century British authors).

As to Christian, (typically Evangelical or Fundamentalist), churches "going after" Hallowe'en, that has been going on for at least 30 years, well before Harry Potter. The more inisidious attack on Hallowe'en has been the slightly more recent attempts to make it a daylight affair with kids going through a (typically, church) parking lot begging from people standing at the trunks of their cars as though it was a silly tailgate party for kids instead of the spooky walk through a darkened neighborhood that it is supposed to be. Attacks on children at Hallowe'en have never been a serious problem and they are probably even more rare now that so many parents accompany their kids. Let the kids have the fun of walking past trees and shrubs, dry leaves rattling and whispering in the wind, with nervous dogs barking from the back yards and houses. Kids need to be able to experience a bit of safe terror, now and again.

Cuckoorex
10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
I once had neighbors that objected to my Fall slash Halloween window decor. Pumpkins, witch, bat and black cat cling decals in my windows. They came over to speak with me about the dangerous territory that I was venturing into, and offered to bring me to their church to celebrate Hallowed Ween. I was a bit shocked at how seriously they were taking the whole thing (Halloween).

If I had neighbors who did that to me, I would have to seriously consider using some creative landscaping techniques to make a pentagram on my lawn to keep them out.

Little Nemo
10-31-2011, 07:46 PM
You know I was thinking this Jesusween was going to be all lame. But then I started checking out this Christianity business. Dude, you know that Jesus was a zombie? And they like tear his body apart and eat it and drink his blood? So I'm thinking Jesusween sounds pretty hardcore and I'm totally renouncing Satanism.

nolonger lurking
11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
You know I was thinking this Jesusween was going to be all lame. But then I started checking out this Christianity business. Dude, you know that Jesus was a zombie? And they like tear his body apart and eat it and drink his blood? So I'm thinking Jesusween sounds pretty hardcore and I'm totally renouncing Satanism.

Look around first. The blood is surprisingly moist, but the flesh is pretty dry and tasteless. I suggest perhaps a groups whose ritual cannibalism object is a bit fresher.

the_diego
10-22-2013, 04:08 AM
If it's the Catholic church that's making noise, it usually dies down fast (remember the satanic Harry Potter series?)

madrabbitwoman
10-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Oh dear - I think the diego has been bitten by someone

knel3030
10-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Now theyre trying to subvert and reappropriate a celebration they created themselves as a means of nonalienatingly weaning people off of a ceremony instituionalized by smelly heathens.

Its Halloween in Heaaaaaaven!

42fish
10-22-2013, 09:25 AM
This is possibly even worse than the time Dad had a say in my Halloween costume. He wanted me to be a Biblical figure, so I wore a sort of loose robe and carried a sling, and went as David.

Could be worse. He could've been inspired by Michaelangelo and had you go buck naked, carrying a sling.