PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Food

Enola Straight
03-16-2001, 03:04 PM
Growing up around Philadelphia, I often had Sunday morning breakfast consisting of Scrapple...basically the stuff they scrape off the slaughterhouse floor.
That got me thinking of all the gross stuff others in the world eat:

Haggis-chopped up entrails boiled in a sheep's stomach.

Balute (I think thats how its spelled)-take an egg with a chick embryo and bury it in the soil for two weeks, then hard boil it. Big with Filipinos.

You hear about any other barf cuisine?

Tequila Mockingbird
03-16-2001, 03:20 PM
Lutefisk, anyone??

How about blood sausage??

LindyHopper
03-16-2001, 05:30 PM
How about ortelon (spelling?)? As I understand it, it's basically an egg that's about to hatch, which is then cooked (somehow), broken open and eaten--chick and all. Ewwww!! I understand that they serve this is fine French restaurants, and they basically put a napkin over the diner's head draping down to the plate (ostensibly to allow them full enjoyment of the aroma, but I think they just want to save other diners the trauma of watching someone eat one of these things)! Anyone else heard of this? Can anyone clarify the preparation/consumption of these things? I know they exist!

Alatariel
03-16-2001, 05:50 PM
Well, it wasn't gross, but I really didn't like it when I tried it. Maybe someone who's familiar with German food can tell me what it is.

I was in Dresden. It was white stuff you put on bread- called quark?(that's phonetic spelling). To me, it tasted nauseating, and the people I was with couldn't seem to get it- it was a favorite food of theirs. They never told me what exactly it was, either, but I think it is a milk product.

rowrrbazzle
03-16-2001, 09:35 PM
sanguinaccio - Italian pig's blood sausage or blood candy.
czernina - Polish duck's blood soup.

See this post (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=514063#post514063) for a bit more info.

Doug Bowe
03-16-2001, 09:48 PM
That great speciality from Sardinia, Casu Marzu, comes to mind.