PDA

View Full Version : Is there a name for the opposite of "Jumping the shark"

Sr Siete
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
You know, the moment when, after the few first episodes or even seasons, the show makes a sudden jump in quality. Like the "fuck fuckity fuck" scene in The Wire or the introduction of Spike and Drusilla in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Blaster Master
02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I've always heard it was Growing a Beard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard) in reference to TNG.

obfusciatrist
02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Did 30 Rock or Parks and Rec have a specific episode that changed things? I remember they they both sucked for a least a bit before finding a stride.

Bosstone
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I've always heard it was Growing a Beard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard) in reference to TNG.Yep. It's not quite as ubiquitous as Jumping the Shark, and there may be niche variations, but Growing the Beard is generally accepted among trope-savvy people.

Sr Siete
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Did 30 Rock or Parks and Rec have a specific episode that changed things? I remember they they both sucked for a least a bit before finding a stride.

Apparently the second season of P&R is a lot better than the first. I'll have to watch it some day.

30 Rock did change and became more surreal and the characters more of a caricature, whether that made it funnier or crappier is up to discussion.

Sr Siete
02-27-2012, 02:18 PM
I've always heard it was Growing a Beard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard) in reference to TNG.

Awesome. Thank you.

Casey1505
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
...finding a stride.

I guess I figured this was it. As in "It took insert show here a few episodes (or seasons) before it finally hit its stride and took off."

tdn
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
"Growing a beard" is a lot more eloquent than "It got Larry, Darryl, and Darryled."

Chronos
02-27-2012, 04:16 PM
The Garfield strip managed to pull a successful shark-jump a few years ago, when Jon and Liz finally started dating. It's starting to stale again, but for a while there, the strip was actually interesting.

Quimby
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM

Not sure with 30 rock but with parks and Rec I would recommend starting with the Season 1 finale or just begin with Season 2. I gave up on the show after the first couple episodes and then tried it again in Season 2 after it ended up on so many Best of the year lists and found I loved it. Went back and rewatched everything and above is my recommendation.

minlokwat
02-27-2012, 07:12 PM
I asked this same question some time ago.

It was agreed that "Mastering One's Domain" was the best antithesis to "Jumping the Shark".

Mileage varies and all that though.

MaxTheVool
02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Like the "fuck fuckity fuck" scene in The Wire

But to me, The Wire was fantastic from the get go (although of course you may just disagree)... but I think there needs to be a similar concept, not "it was bad, and then found its stride" but "I was not really hooked, and was kind of unsure what was going on and whether I would enjoy it or not, until there was a moment when suddenly it became clear how awesome it had been all along".

TBG
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Finding it's groove.