PDA

View Full Version : Facebook quiz: which philosopher do you most identify with?

Sitnam
03-21-2012, 01:03 AM
My friends and I took it a year and half ago, my father heard us talking about it today and wanted to take it, but I can't find it now.

You answer a bunch of fundamental questions about your views and it spits out the philosopher you most closely agreed with.

standingwave
03-21-2012, 01:16 AM
My friends and I took it a year and half ago, my father heard us talking about it today and wanted to take it, but I can't find it now.

You answer a bunch of fundamental questions about your views and it spits out the philosopher you most closely agreed with.

Is this it? (http://www.gotoquiz.com/which_philosopher_are_you)

ETA: Your Result: Aristotle

Truth does not exist in some transcendent realm. We get to truth by applying reason to the physical world. The world follows logic and commonsense. Science if done properly is not to far from philosophy.

Nametag
03-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Your Result: Aristotle

Truth does not exist in some transcendent realm. We get to truth by applying reason to the physical world. The world follows logic and commonsense. Science if done properly is not to far from philosophy.

Same here.

Shagnasty
03-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Stop the imposters. It says that I am Aristotle. That seems like a remarkably straightforward quiz. I wouldn't respect anyone that got a different result.

KarlGauss
03-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Stop the imposters. It says that I am Aristotle. That seems like a remarkably straightforward quiz. I wouldn't respect anyone that got a different result.Camus/Sartre - I don't get no respect; or should I say, "Je ne comprends pas aucun respect".

Wakinyan
03-21-2012, 05:04 AM
"Je ne comprends pas aucun respect", uh, neither.

WhyNot
03-21-2012, 05:22 AM
Stop the imposters. It says that I am Aristotle. That seems like a remarkably straightforward quiz. I wouldn't respect anyone that got a different result.

Your Result: Early Wittgenstein / Positivists

The ambiguity of language is the cause for most (if not all) philosophical problems. If we could get a purely objective language all philosophical problems would be solved. Q.E.D. --This quiz was made by S. A-Lerer.

But I don't believe it, because that was a terribly written, ambiguous quiz, which used terms I am only fleetingly familiar with. I need to study philosophy to absorb the vocabulary before I can take the quiz with meaningful results. ;)

kambuckta
03-21-2012, 06:04 AM
How on earth can I trust a quiz that can't even spell properly?

Sheesh :rolleyes:

kambuckta
03-21-2012, 06:30 AM
How on earth can I trust a quiz that can't even spell properly?

Sheesh :rolleyes:

To give an example or five.....

) Emperical
)Immitation
)Dipicts
)Virtous
)Trancendent

And I should trust these folk to understand my personal philosophic leanings? I don't think so!

:p

panache45
03-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Another Aristotle here . . . though some of the questions made sense only if you really were Aristotle.

Ludovic
03-21-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm Aristotle, and so's my wife.

Hari Seldon
03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Plato, probably like most mathematicians.

Scumpup
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Nietzsche.

Derleth
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Yes, Aristotle, but the two right beneath are interesting as well:

Early Wittgenstein / Positivists

Sartre/Camus (late existentialists)

I've got a certain amount of sympathy for both philosophies.

yabob
03-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Too many questions for which I can't agree with any of the answers, at least not without qualification. I found it to be an exercise in choosing among false dichotomies, which probably says something about my philosophical beliefs right there.

njtt
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I am Aristotle (with a pinch of early and late Wittgenstein/Quine), which is as it should be, but yes the spelling mistakes were offputting and some of teh choices were incomprehensible or garbled (what was that one about life being fulgid?)

I think, though, that false dichotomies and unsatisfactory choices, where you have to chose your least-bad answer rather than a satisfactory one, are an integral part of how quizzes of this sort are supposed to work. So far, everyone seems to be fairly happy with their eventual result. If it had put me down as Nietzsche or Plato, or even Sartre or full-on late Wittgenstein I would not have been happy.

standingwave
03-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I am Aristotle (with a pinch of early and late Wittgenstein/Quine), which is as it should be, but yes the spelling mistakes were offputting and some of teh choices were incomprehensible or garbled (what was that one about life being fulgid?)Yeah, anyone can create a personality test these days. Thanks Internet. Most of them suck. Now I'm off to search Straight Dope for Myers-Briggs tests. I've taken many of those and it's always the same: INTJ.

jackdavinci
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
I got Posivists but this was a silly quiz. It seems to be more a quiz about which definition of multimeaning words you favor rather than actual philosophical beliefs.

BigT
03-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Since this is GQ, I have to point out that this is not a Facebook quiz.

Oh, and I got Aristotle as well. Though, man, are those some odd answers. Art is an attempt at communicating beauty. Duh.