PDA

View Full Version : What's the most horrifying image you've ever seen?

Jadis
03-29-2001, 06:51 PM
The reason I ask is because I was in NYC last weekend, and I paid a visit to the Jewish Heritage Museum. Now, I'm sure you'll all thinking "Wow, those pictures/films of skeletal bodies piled in heaps and people being gratuitously shot/abused" must have been horrifying. And they were. But that's not what got me.

What really baked my noodle was the section on the second floor that deals with the remnants of the Hitler Youth. This organization was akin to today's Boy Scouts. Seriously. There were manuals, membership rolls, meetings, uniforms, badges, etc. But the one thing that made my jaw absolutely hit the floor was a board game. A German version of Life or Monopoly....except rather than the goal being to make money or raise a family and collect personal possesions, this game's ultimate goal was a bit different. You see, in this game, the first player to round up six Jews for "relocation" won.

I can't even begin to get my mind around this concept. For some reason, the existence of this game horrified me far more than those videos and pictures of Holocaust victims ever could.

What's the most disturbing image you've come across?

Zarathustra
03-29-2001, 07:23 PM
Not quite on the same level, but going through a market in Canton and seeing a shop that had a little corral full of cats and kittens. I like cats. Then I look up and read the sign in Chinese that says that the store's offering fresh cat meat for just 50 RMB per pound.

--------------------------

Hempress, is it? Three cheers for the Hempress of Colony 'Atch!

Poysyn
03-29-2001, 07:52 PM
The most horrifying I've seen up close and personal was a friend of mine getting hit and killed while we were crossing the street together.

One of the most horrifying things I've seen on a news program is a story they did on "dog fur" and "cat fur" coats created in Asia. They didn't show the whole video but the beginning of a german shepherd being skinned alive. They said the dog still wagged his tail until they started, so desperate for love. I cried for hours.

romanticide
03-29-2001, 08:43 PM
{deleted)

I'm still scarred.

Do not, do not, do not go there.

[Edited by Eutychus55 on 03-31-2001 at 10:34 AM]

MsWhatsit
03-29-2001, 08:47 PM
This is a videotape image, from I believe the Vietnam war, although it may have been the Korean. It shows a Vietnamese (or Korean) general pointing his revolver at a young boy's head and blithely pulling the trigger. The man calmly looks back to whoever he was talking to before and continues the conversation, as a huge gout of blood spurts from the boy's skull and he collapses to the ground.

I will never, ever, be able to get this out of my mind. One of my college history professors showed it to us.

VitrolicBump
03-29-2001, 09:00 PM
Compared to the violent things you guys have been writing about, this may be kind of lame. This last summer, our dog drowned in our pool sometime during the night. I was really attached to this dog; we had owned her for almost fourteen years. She was a miniature schnauzer who was probably on her last leg. Unfortunately I was the only one at home. I pulled her out, but was so hysterical my sister and some close friends came over to calm me down and take her to the vet to cremate her. Just thinking about what happened makes me want to cry. :( (sniff)

Jadis
03-29-2001, 09:27 PM
Dang....I didn't mean to dredge up painful memories for everyone. I feel bad now. :(

Anti Pro
03-29-2001, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Jadis
Dang....I didn't mean to dredge up painful memories for everyone. I feel bad now. :(

{{{{{{{{Jadis}}}}}}}}}} Think of it as therapeutic, getting that stuff out of you and having others share their stuff with you, makes us more human.

My three year old son was in his car seat and I looked back at him in the rear view mirror, his head was thrown back, and white foam was coming out of his mouth. THAT was the most terrifying thing I'd ever seen. [It was a seizure]

Tyklfe
03-29-2001, 09:45 PM
The most horrifying image I've ever seen was the aftereffects of fireworks abuse. This one kid (18-20ish) had been playing around with some friends and some fireworks and one of them dared him to hold it in his mouth. He put it in his mouth and didn't get it out before it went off. The resuting explosion destoyed his face. Everything below his eyeballs was missing. If you've even seen Preditor than I can relate it like this: remember when the Preditor thing roared and it's second jaw opened up, seperated, and kinda hung down in front of it's face? Well, It kinda looked like that. All the skin that had been on the sides of his mouth and covering the bottom of his mouth was missing. All he had left was a jaw in two pieces hanging down limply with the rest of his face missing.

Just something I'll never forget.

VitrolicBump
03-29-2001, 10:15 PM
Jadis, don't feel bad. With me, every little bit of talking helps.

Anti Pro- I am sorry that happened to your son. Is he all right now? I am just asking because I suffer from seizures, too. Not very awful ones, but I still have to take medication for it.

Ross
03-29-2001, 10:32 PM
An image of the crucified Chist which was made by superimposing a holocaust elecrocution victim over a cross. The body was absolutely rigid with pain, the jaws clamped open. It made both the holocaust and the crucifixion a good deal more real.

ps: Jadis, there's a Lion behind you.

Arden Ranger
03-29-2001, 11:29 PM
Other than anything at rotten.com?

For the longest time it was the news images of the Jonestown suicides. The very idea that they had willingly given their own children cyniade laced kool-aide.
:: shudder ::

But the most personally horrific was working during the aftermath of the Oklahoma City bombing. Made me make that hour and a half drive back to Stillwater every night so I could hug my kids.

hardygrrl
03-30-2001, 01:02 AM
This may be lame but it is the most horrifying thing I ever saw in person.

I'm seven years old. My parents,older sister and I are going to the movies. We're driving down the road and we see a man on a motorcycle hit something and go flying off the bike. My dad pulls the car by where the guy landed and gets out to help him.

The man-no helmet,wearing shorts and a tank top,looks ok.

Then my dad rolls him over.

OMG

His arm is broken so badly you can see the bone poking out of his skin. Blood everywhere. And to top it off-his face.Lips pretty much torn off,tooth fragments on what's left of them,nose mangled and the skin from his forehead is hanging on by a teeny thread.

I can still clearly remember what this guy looked like 24 years later.

::shudders::

Enola Straight
03-30-2001, 01:15 AM
15 years ago when my dad was dying of cancer. The carcinoma had metasticized to just about everywhere.
His body was distorted from all the tumors...and voids where they tried to cut tumors out. They pumped him full of so much shit he didn't recognize me when I visited.

One thing about cancer...It eats up your store of bodily fat. Stretches the skin tight against the skull, ans the eyes sink back deep into the sockets.

He died looking like someone from Auchwitz.

Tequila Mockingbird
03-30-2001, 01:21 AM
Mine is another kinda lame but most horrifying thing I've seen in person.
When I was 11, we had two very pregnant female white German Shepard in our house. One dog whelped 10 pups. My sis and I went to school. (Both parents worked). We came home from school, no puppies. Sis searched the house, I searched the yard. I fiannly started following the mama dog around the yard. She went to the side of the concrete dog run and dug up a one day old headless puppy. I burst into tears, ran in the house, grabbed my sis and dragged her to the neighbors to call our mom. I wouldn't let my sis see it. Later, our stepdad dug up the other nine dead pups, whose necks were only broken. For some reason, I never found the Barnes and Barnes song Dead Puppies amusing.

SpyderA48
03-30-2001, 02:13 AM
The nude photograph of a 450 pound woman on steakandcheese.com. :)

I was watching one of those crash films in drivers education, made sometime in the 50's, while in high school in the late 60s. After a crash scene, the most horrible thing I saw was the police lifting lumpy, pulpy fragments of meat out of the dirt and placing them on stretchers. These big, shapeless chunks had been the occupants of one of the cars!! The film was in B&W.

An acquaintance of mine had a cat which had kittens and a big, dopy, ill trained dog. A couple of the kittens died a few days before I visited him. Unknown to me, when I walked up his trashy yard to his door, that instead of taking time to bury them, he had just dumped them in the garbage can. As I waited for him to get his lazy ass out of bed and answer the door, his dog came up, playing with what looked like a dirty rag; throwing it up, catching it, pieces falling off, shaking it and so on.

When the stench hit me, I realized that it wasn't a rag but a kittens body! I chased the dog away, used rags to gather up the mess, nearly threw up in the process because of the stink and placed them in the garbage can, where I found the remains of the other kitten. I fastened the lid on real tight to keep the dog out and went and bitched at the guy for being too damn lazy to bury the cats.

I love cats. That screwed me up a bit that day. Some people should, by law, not be allowed to own pets.

TM, who killed the puppies? You ever find out?

Tequila Mockingbird
03-30-2001, 02:20 AM
SpyderA48, my stepdad said "the other female dog got in with pups and mama when she started labor and the dogs got into a fight over them." It's probably close to the truth, but as no one was there when it happened, I won't ever know for sure. I do know the puppies mama dog buried each one because she did nose the dirt/show him where to dig for each one.

Drastic
03-30-2001, 03:06 AM
#1: The last childhood visit to my paternal grandfather in the nursing home. His mind had died already, had been for years except for painful flashes of lucidity that showed the man he had been. Curled up fetally in the bed, not much more than skin over bones. Not so much horrifying as gross-out, but just coldly grim, first sight of what dying really looked like. (He died literally the next day, which was, speaking of grim, good timing--it was one of our few larger family reunions, so everyone could make the funeral, whereas any other time many probably couldn't have.)

#2: Snowball the cat had gone missing, which was unusual as she was the friendliest of the litter. Pure white, possibly albino or at least a good impression of one. Found her in a corner of the upstairs of the barn, where we kept hay and such for the horses. Very still, dead for a time to attract flies, locked in rigor. Head arched back, her throat was a gaping torn open hole from jaw to chest, crawling with bugs.

Ah, the great circle of life.

JavaMaven1
03-30-2001, 03:56 AM
Well, other than what you can find at rotten.com...

About three years ago, I happened to come home a little early, and started to watch the afternoon news. Breaking story, everything being shown live, some guy had blocked off a part of the 105 (SoCal freeway), and had unfurled some message painted on a bedsheet (it was in regards to unfair practices by HMO's--later found that this guy was HIV+). The helicopters were there, catching the guy's every move. He went back into his truck, with his dog, and it looks like he's lighting a cigarette, when the cab of his truck explodes. He comes out (the dog doesn't); he's severely burnt, and strips off his clothing. He eventually goes to the edge of the freeway, looking like he is going to jump (there's about a good 40 foot drop); he stops, goes back to his truck. He pulls a shotgun from the back, kneels down, and blows his brains out. All captured on live TV.

I couldn't stop crying for hours, and kept my dog by my side the entire night.

(and for anyone who asks, why didn't you change the channel, the whole explosion/suicide happened SO fast, that by the time I realized what was happening, it was too late)

Coldfire
03-30-2001, 05:06 AM
Some of the people that went to AmsterDope may agree with me on this.

In the Anne Frank House museum in Amsterdam, there's one room that displays what happened to all the occupants of the house. The camps they were deported to, when they died. In one of the displays (I'm thinking it's the one about Anne, but I could be wrong), a tiny TV-screen is mounted in the back. It shows a 30 second clip, shot by British soldiers literally minutes after they liberated Auschwitz. The images display nearly starved to death people, skin over bones, wandering aimlessly -often crying- amongst smoking remains of barracks, dead bodies of SS soldiers, dead bodies of Jews. Also, there's a three second shot in there from a mass grave they found, in progress. The grave is as long as a football pitch, it is open, and the bodies are stacked 2 meters high. It is about 3/4 filled.
The end shot is a woman sitting on the ground, cyring. I've never seen such despair in human eyes, and I doubt I ever will again.

It's the most shocking thing I've ever seen.

Hometownboy
03-30-2001, 09:44 AM
A particularly grim "educational" film made in the early 60s called something like "Signal 30" that was made up of film taken by police departments after major traffic accidents. It was of the "Scared Straight" school of assault on your sensibilites to make an impression on you as a driver. One bad shot of a crisped body following a fire, and one absolutely horrible shot of a truck driver whose load of pipe had shifted forward and crushed him in the cab. His face bulged most awfully - still get shudders.

SpartanDC
03-30-2001, 11:02 AM
Having just visited the Newseum and the Holocaust Museum has permanently engraved many horrifying images on my brain, but two rank as the worst:

1. The Newseum: They have an exhibit there of Pulitzer Prize winning photos throughout the years. One is fairly recent, 1994, IIRC. It's from Somalia and shows a starving child, crouching on the ground, his arms around his knees, his belly bloated from not eating in weeks. You can't see his face. But that's not the tragic part.

Behind him, on the ground, sits a vulture, waiting for the child to die.

The photographer who took the photo killed himself a few years later. A large part of what drove him over the edge was intense regret for not picking the child up and taking him to a food station. (Journalists were told not to touch famine victims for fear of contracting diseases.)

That picture still makes my eyes tear up.

2. Holocaust Museum: There's a lot of sadness here. But the worst is the images I saw from Nazi "medical experiments." There are shots of children with charred skin sitting together, naked and clearly starved. It's the only time I can remember where I actually gasped out of horror.

Ma Parrot
03-30-2001, 12:50 PM
I was visiting a friend in a hospital and the child in the next bed had horrible scars all over his head and hands. He had been playing with a bottle full of baking soda and vinegar that blew up in his face. I immediately threw up in the wastebasket. You have no idea how bad that made me feel to make an injured boy cry.

Kakkerlak
03-30-2001, 01:58 PM
SNenc, I'm with you on that Pulitzer winning photo of the little girl on the side of the road from the spring of 1993. I recall the New York Times front page that it ran on, as that newspaper is the reason I flunked senior English and didn't graduate from college on time.

A detour; the class is "God and Evil in 20th Century Literature". The professor is a liberal Lutheran democrat with tenure (all things I am not) and we already don't get along.

One morning he brings that photograph, clipped from the NYT, and passes it around the class. Sharp breaths and startled looks accompany it around. He begins a discussion/lecture on "if there is a caring God, how does He allow such awful things to happen".

I lost my cool. Did he know where that photo was taken? No, he didn't. Did he read the article that accompanied it? No, he didn't.

Well I'll tell you. That little girl is lying by the side of the main north-south highway in the Sudan, where a simmering 13-year civil war between the Communist government in the north and the Christian and native tribes in the south has been escalated, putting thousands of refugees on the road.

That little girl is not starving because God doesn't care about her. That little girl is starving because men with Soviet rifles and little red stars on their caps marched around her home county shooting the farmers and salting the fields.

I'll remember that photograph forever as an illustration that men are the source of evil, not chance or God.

Kakkerlak
03-30-2001, 02:07 PM
As long as we're horrifying ourselves, take the time to browse through all the postwar Pulitzer winning photographs at the Newseum:

http://www.newseum.org/pulitzer/main.htm

Anti Pro
03-30-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by dlgirl
Jadis, don't feel bad. With me, every little bit of talking helps.

Anti Pro- I am sorry that happened to your son. Is he all right now? I am just asking because I suffer from seizures, too. Not very awful ones, but I still have to take medication for it.

{{{{{{{{dlgirl}}}}}}}} Billy is doing fine now, he's now 17, though that's only physically. Perhaps the phenobarbital when he was three, delayed his emotional development. There is no way of knowing.

Take care of yourself, sweetie, you have to take medication, because these human bodies just don't always work right, do they? ;)

Renton_lvr
03-30-2001, 11:38 PM
I went to see the band Skinny Puppy on their Too Dark Park tour when I was 17. They had a lot of T.V. screens set up on the stage and throughout the concert they played various images of vivisection, suicides, war, traffic accidents etc...really gruesome stuff. I particularly remember a middle-aged man shooting himself in the head in some parliamentary setting and the blood just pouring out of his face like water from a faucet turned on full blast. I have perhaps seen images that are equally disturbing since, courtesy of the internet, but to have so much thrown at you in the duration of a concert was overwhelming. I still don't know if it was the best or worst concert I have ever been to...

Homer
03-31-2001, 12:27 AM
Renton:

R. Budd Dwyer - politician (Pennsylvania)

1987 --- Convicted of bribery and conspiracy in federal court and about to be sentenced, he called a press conference; there, in front of spectators and TV cameras, he shot himself in the mouth.

It is quite a horrid video.

--Tim

Sir Rhosis
03-31-2001, 12:50 AM
I'm not trying to say that it isn't horrible, but the photo of the General shooting the Vietnamese guy does not show blood, IIRC. It's been a while since I've seen, not do I really want to again. It shows the guy's face at the moment of death, shows a horrible grimace. I recall seeing an interview with the photographer (Adams?), and what chilled me the most was his comment that he snapped the photo at the same instant the General fired, and he knew that the photo shows the guy with the bullet still in his brain, having not yet exited (if it did). I've seen the actual video footage of the shooting and I don't recall if it shows blood at the instant he is shot, or if it shows him lying dead on the street bleeding.

Another picture that chills me to the bone is the photo of the Japanese soldier with sword held high preparing to behead the blindfolded Australian soldier during WWII. I cannot put my fear into words, how that soldier must have felt at the instant the photo was taken, when he was surely less than a second away from death.

These and other such photos should be required viewing before anyone goes to war.

Sir

Siddhartha Vicious
03-31-2001, 01:01 AM
Hmmm. I suppose this is therapeutic. . .

When I was 15, my brother died in an accident, and my dad was permanently handicapped. We used to own a rail dragster (one of those really long ones) and one day, when I was in high school, my dad and brother were taking apart one of the enormous tires in the rear of the dragster. It was a snow day. Both me and my older brother were supposed to be in school, but the snow was too deep for many to even get to school.

My brother was quite a car nut, as was my dad. They hoped to rebuild this dragster so that they could race it at the Salt Flats in Utah.

The back tires were giving them some grief, and that day, they were working hard to take the tires apart so that they could fix it.

It was a split rim tire, which is notorious in the racing world.

Around 3 o'clock in the afternoon, my mom and I were watching a soap opera (a friggin' soap opera, fer christsakes.), when we heard a popping sound from outside.

My mother begins to panic. It was obvious that the popping sound was from outside, near our unattached garage.

I tried to calm her, telling her that it was nothing. Eventually, I pulled on my snow shoes to trudge out to the garage to make sure that everything was okay for my mom.

I walked out to the garage, and saw my brother lying on the ground, his body was holding the garage doors open.

A couple of years before, my brother had accidentally dropped an engine into a car, and had damaged it. My father was infuriated. I was the cerebral one who rarely helped our dad. I assumed that my dad, being angry at my brother for doing something stupid, had popped him one. He had quite a temper.

Something told me, though, that something was really terribly wrong. I stepped over my brother and entered the garage. My father was leaning against the garage wall, and he told me something that chills me to this day.

"The tire exploded, and both of my arms are broken, and I think that Brett (my brother) is dead."

I could see pieces of bone sticking out of his sleeves. But, unfortunately, that wasn't the worst part. After I reached my father, I turned and looked at my brother in the doorway and noticed, for the first time, that he was faceless.

Really.

A piece of metal had struck him in the right temple and sheered the flesh from his face. Luckily for him, he died instantly.

That was thirteen years ago, and it's the most horrifying image I've ever seen.

(I would like to add the following disclaimer. I'm fairly inebriated, but it really did happen that way. Even worse, actually. I usually don't tell people what happened to my brother. I'm not fishing for sympathy. I think that this is genuinely interesting topic, and I wanted to add my 2 cents.)

Grok
03-31-2001, 03:09 AM
I just watched "Threads" for the first time recently. It was the single most depressing film I've ever seen, and contained some really horrific imagery.

What got to me the most were the scenes dealing with scarcity of food, and what people will do when they are hungry. There is one scene of two people finding a dead sheep, and they begin ravenously eating it. I think what got to me the most was that they were elated - almost as if they were tucking into a wonderful Christmas dinner. The thought of becoming that hungry terrifies me.

As an aside, to illustrate just how depressing this film is...

Afterward my GF suggested we watch something lighter to cheer us up - like say, "Schindler's List". I think she was only half joking...

Broomstick
03-31-2001, 08:13 AM
Are we talking horrific things we've actually seen, horrific images, or horrific things we've heard about?

I'm not sure what is "most horrific" I've seen personally.

There was the suicide on the train tracks - the Amtrak was cruising around 80 mph, and we stopped well after we have passed over him. You ever see spaghetti sauce with lots of lumpy meat? All over the train, splashed on the windows, on the tracks... The clean up squad had trouble finding all of him. They wound up with three small trash bags of chunks 'n' lumps, then hosed off the tracks.

When I worked at a clinic we had a lady who had had a C-section a couple days before, just out of the hospital. The stench that followed her was enormous, like rotting meat. Seems she had a bit of infection. The stitches holding her together gave way and she just sort of sunk to the floor, erupting puss and blood, and trying to hold onto her internal bits.

There was the motorcycle accident on the shore of Lake Michigan in Chicago. The bike had stopped but the rider had kept going for about city block. On his front. Although he was wearing a helmet, the front of it (and his skull) had been worn down to about his ears. There was a stripe of blood, ground meat, bone fragments, and, towards the end, lumps of oatmeal stretching from about 10 feet from the bike to where the body lay. You know it's bad when the Chicago cops and paramedics are standing around shaking their heads and no one is rushing to flip the body over and start CPR.

The worst WWII Holocaust image I ever saw was not of people but of the concrete ceiling in one of the "shower" rooms where they gassed people. There were deep gouges and pits in the concrete. Seems when the gas started and people realized they were going to die they climbed up on each other in panic and tried to claw their way out of the ceiling with their bare hands. Maybe it was just me, but I had a really visceral reaction to the thought of being so terrified and trapped that I would try to dig through concrete with my fingernails, and maybe actually succeed in clawing out a few chunks before I died.

Gosh, that's enough venting for now, don't you think? That's the worse I've seen, but I've heard more awful.

racinchikki
03-31-2001, 09:08 AM
Not much compared to some of what I've read here, but...

The worst thing I've seen in person was after a motorcycle accident a couple towns over. It had happened just minutes before I got there and the police had shown up and were moving people along. I didn't know it was a motorcycle accident at first, but then I saw the bike in the tree... and a hand lying in my boss' driveway. Apparently clean-up hadn't gotten that far yet. Just seeing a hand lying in a driveway... that really f'ed me over.

Something I just avoided seeing: race car driver died at a track I was attending with my cousin, who's also a driver but not that division. Natural instinct is to run towards the accident (out of wanting to help and just plain sick curiosity), but my cousin's faster than I am and he got there and immediately started waving me away. I decided to obey for once and he told me later what it was. The guy had ended up facing right into the wall, and the inside visor of his helmet was covered in blood-nast. (Of course my cousin still races. He's probably seen worse. I've worried about him more since then, though.)

red_dragon60
03-31-2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by SNenc
Having just visited the Newseum and the Holocaust Museum has permanently engraved many horrifying images on my brain, but two rank as the worst:

1. The Newseum: They have an exhibit there of Pulitzer Prize winning photos throughout the years. One is fairly recent, 1994, IIRC. It's from Somalia and shows a starving child, crouching on the ground, his arms around his knees, his belly bloated from not eating in weeks. You can't see his face. But that's not the tragic part.

Behind him, on the ground, sits a vulture, waiting for the child to die.

The photographer who took the photo killed himself a few years later. A large part of what drove him over the edge was intense regret for not picking the child up and taking him to a food station. (Journalists were told not to touch famine victims for fear of contracting diseases.)

That picture still makes my eyes tear up.

2. Holocaust Museum: There's a lot of sadness here. But the worst is the images I saw from Nazi "medical experiments." There are shots of children with charred skin sitting together, naked and clearly starved. It's the only time I can remember where I actually gasped out of horror.

This is Kevin Carter's Pulitzer prize winning photograph, from 1994. It was a Sudanese girl. He killed himself on July 27, 1994. He felt that the vulture was not the only predator.

This is referenced in the most wonderful book, House of Leaves.(Pg. 368)

Broomstick
03-31-2001, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by red_dragon60
[QUOTE]This is Kevin Carter's Pulitzer prize winning photograph, from 1994. It was a Sudanese girl. He killed himself on July 27, 1994. He felt that the vulture was not the only predator.

I remember that picture. Yah know, I'm not creeped out by the vulture waiting for dinner. I mean, it's a vulture - that's what they do, wait for things to die then eat them. What creeps me out is that 9 times out of 10 when this sort of thing happens to people the ultimate cause is people doing bad things to other people. The vulture doesn't have a choice about being a vulture, and vultures don't cause war, famine, drought, or disease. They're just part of nature's clean-up crew. We (collectively, as a species), on the other hand, choose to commit acts of cruelty that we don't have to commit. Now that's horrifying and disgusting.

Baker
03-31-2001, 04:13 PM
It's hard to be objective or what is and is not horrifying. But back when the Murragh Building in Oklahoma City was bombed and the photographer took that famous picture of the fireman holding the dead baby girl, I was torn up. What you see is a blonde leggy kid in a diaper. That is what my nephew was at the time, born only two days after the little girl(I later saw her birthday on the news.) I see my nephew in that picture. Thank God he is almost seven now, the way she should have been.

stofsky
03-31-2001, 08:55 PM
Another Murrah Building image--I was downtown less than an hour after the bombing, and was placed helping in a Red Cross facility for people to try to meet up with or find their friends and loved ones, and for people who lived in nearby apartments to sleep for a couple of days. Some of us took some of the donated food down to the rescue workers in that cold April rain, and I saw what I think was people being pulled out of the rubble. I was a ways away, and I didn't look too long.

But as I finally decided that 16 hours was long enough, and that it was time to go home and damn near smother my 2-month old daughter with hugs, I saw a woman find out that someone--I don't know who--was listed among the dead. The look on her face is the most horrifying image I've seen.

That night when I got home, we had the news on, and I saw myself walking toward the camera and the door. Then I noticed the back of that woman's head at the side of the frame.

I didn't sleep much for a while.

On a side note, IIRC, that photo of the fireman got the photographer sued and fired. It seems that OG&E (OK Gas & Electric) owned the camera he used, and sued him for the royalties on the photo.

Stofsky

Ukulele Ike
03-31-2001, 10:14 PM
I think I'll stick to Art.

Max Beckmann's 1918 painting THE NIGHT, now hanging in Dusseldorf. An orgy of cruelty. A group of desperadoes invades a slum dwelling and kills its inhabitants. Whether the theme is assault or retaliation is not clear, which adds to the horror.

Also influenced by World War I (and by Matthias Grunewald's Isenheim alterpiece), Otto Dix's triptych WAR (1929-32), now hanging in Dresden. The central panel is an abandoned trench before a bombed-out village...the scorched land looks sick, pale, and dead. But the clutter of human bodies that fills the trench glows with decay and putrescence.

In the left panel we see an orderly column marching through the morning fog to the slaughter; the eyes of one of the soldiers fixes us.

In the right wing, the image of the artist himself carries a wounded man away from the carnage, stepping over a dead comrade.

The predella (in altars reserved for depictions of the dead Christ) shows three exhausted soldiers sleeping under a tent-cloth. But the image is ambiguous. The gravelike space, the stiffness of the bodies, make the viewer wonder if they will ever awaken.

Finally, Bruce Conner's sculpture CHILD (1959-60), in the Museum of Modern Art, NYC. An artistic answer to Hiroshima, it is a baby's burned high chair with a faceless, charred facsimile of an infant strapped into it.

JeffB
03-31-2001, 11:02 PM
The documentary film Memory of the Camps (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/camp/). The 55 minute film was compiled from images shot during the liberation of the concentration camps. The stark reality of the images is more powerful than anything I've ever seen.

Broomstick
04-01-2001, 08:38 AM
While I confess I didn't see this myself, I have to get it off my chest. I got the story from a person who was one of the folks who walked on the scene at the end.

This woman was in jail on drug charges, but she also had psychiatric problems as well, so she was talking to the jailhouse shrink as part of her drug treatment and to (hopefully) get her life in order. Anyhow, unbeknownst to the counselor, someone had smuggled this woman a gun (it was a minimum security place, some of which can have pretty lax precautions). So in the middle of a counseling session she pulls out the gun, shoots this guy, then puts the pistol to her own head and pulls the trigger.

OK, that's bad enough. Here's where it really starts to go over the top.

Apparently our trigger-woman had poor aim for her own head and,instead of the bullet demolishing her head it just carried away a chunk of skullbone. Apparently still motivated to die, she then reached up and started clawing out chunks of her brain with one hand. When the guards and other people came running to see what the noise was about they found her on the floor, surrounded by blood, bodily wastes, and fistfuls of brain tissue. She was also apparently trying to finish the job of emptying her own skull by hand but by that point her coordination was pretty shot and she wasn't having much luck.

By the way - she actually did live. Pretty messed up, of course - the left side of her body is paralyzed, no control over bodily functions, has all sorts of neurological problems, but apparently still has some awareness of her condition.

Anyhow - the person who told me, as I said, was another counselor working the next room over who was part of the group that walked in on this mess.

Chas.E
04-01-2001, 09:05 AM
I can't feel much horror for those images of the holocaust, or of vietnam, I grew up seeing those images repeatedly and they've lost their power to shock me. And besides, these are a secondhand experience.
But if I had to pick a reproduced image, the most horrifying thing I ever saw was a famous photographic portrait of Andy Warhol by Richard Avedon. It just shows Warhol from the waist to neck, holding up his black sweater. His whole body was a mass of scars, from when Valerie Solanis shot him. They say the bullet bounced around inside his ribcage and tore his insides to shreds, and the surgeons work was just as bad. It's a miracle he lived. Somehow the sight of the healed scars evoked more terror in me than anything I've seen at that r*****.com site. Avedon was one brilliant photographer..

berdollos
04-01-2001, 11:02 AM
I had a horrifying dream image of my mother with male genitals,
also a dream image of a ravenous black dog attacking my liver.

Carl Jung had a horrifying image of God defecating (with a large turd) on a church. I am using this in a personality theory book I am writing.

MagicalSilverKey
04-06-2001, 01:12 AM
If you want real life instances, not photos, and such, then I recall a woman who got hit by a car as we were only one or two cars behind, when I was a kid. I was probably about 10. It was at night and I didn't see her get hit, but I saw her lying dead in the street mere seconds after it happened. When I looked at her body, it looked like wet towel that someone had wrung as tightly as they could. :::shudder:::

My poor mom witnessed the whole occurence and was shaken for a long time. Mom was one of the people who pulled over to help stop traffic. The newspaper reported that the woman who got hit had mental problems and probably threw herself in front of the moving vehicle.

Dark Lord Davidson
04-06-2001, 01:28 AM
This is going to sound weak, but thankfully I haven't seen many horrific things in my life. One day my older brother's friend's mom's car pulls up to our house. My older brother gets out (he was about 12 at the time, I was 10).

His arm was broken so badly that the only thing keeping it together were two strands of flesh.

*shudder*

Badtz Maru
04-06-2001, 01:42 AM
If we are going to use images from dreams, I've got a few...

A living monkey with most of it's intestines hanging out of it's anus.

A man dropped several stories onto a fence, his body broken so that his pelvis was between his shoulderblades. This is from the same dream, the guy was the person who messed up the monkey and I was the person who threw him off of a balcony.

A smoky room packed with rotting corpses. This one had me disturbed for several days, it was so vivid.

A corpse charred so that it had a black crispy skin like an over-roasted marshmallow. The sight was not so gross as the taste (yuck!).

A person having their hand nailed to their face.

A friend having most of his face bitten off by a polar bear while he twitched and made gargling noises.

A woman with tentacles for nipples.

It's a wonder that I still willingly go to sleep.

iampunha
04-06-2001, 02:28 AM
There's not a whole lot in the way of blood and guts that can get to me. Hell, I watch surgery for fun. But two recent movie shots kicked my ass:

1. The scene in "Unbreakable" where Sam Jackson's character falls down the stairs. Seeing the bone twisted like that was not fun.

2. "Legend of the Drunken Master" when Chan gets pushed into that thingy of hot coals. That was painful to watch.

As I said, blood and guts don't really make me all that squeamish. And I've seen Schindler's List . . . it was just startling for me, mostly.

Mofo Rising
04-06-2001, 02:39 AM
iampunha, just so you know, Jackie Chan did that stunt three times to make sure he got it right. He still has the scars to this day.

And you wonder why no insurance company will underwrite his movies.

Superdude
04-06-2001, 03:01 PM
1) Seeing my father in the hospital this past January dying from heart disease at age 50. I got to have my last conversation with him (not knowing it was going to be the last), and had went out in the waiting room. While I was out there, he had a massive heart attack, but was still alive. They had him on a respirator, and when I went back, they told me they'd injected him with morphine to keep him out, and to keep from pulling out his breathing tube. When I was there, he woke up anyway, and started pulling on it. I took his hand off of it, and tried to explain what was happening. I looked him directly in his eyes, and he had so much fear and confusion in his eyes that I could see that what I was saying wasn't sinking in. I stood there, holding his hand, looking into his eyes, trying to wish the confusion away so I could make him understand. They injected him with more morphine, and it started taking hold while I talked to him, holding his hand. When he was out, I left. I never saw him alive again.

2) Shauna. Shauna was my then-fiancee (this would be 1999). She was nearly raped by an ex-boyfriend when she was out of town (she was from Seattle, and had to fly back when her mother's health started failing). Shauna's about 5'2", MAYBE 100lbs. David is roughly 6'6", 255lbs. She fought him. He was drunk, and it finally dawned on him that she wasn't gonna just let him. So he beat the shit out of her. He broke fingers. He cracked ribs. He ripped out her navel ring. She lost chunks of hair from where his hands were wrapped in it, ramming her face-first into her dresser. He bit her (she sleeps nude, and he came upon her sleeping. They used to live together when she still lived there, and he still had a key to the one lock she forgot to change). He bit a perfect circle of blood on the inside of her thigh. He bit her so hard in her back and shoulders that the teethmarks were visible for damn near a week and a half afterwards. He bit her on her left breast so hard that she came within, according to her doctor, "a prayer" of losing her left nipple permanently.

Ike Witt
04-06-2001, 03:22 PM
One of the scariest things that I have ever seen was when Clint Malarchuk got his jugular sliced into. Here is the story with a link to a photo. (http://www.sabreshistory.com/memories/malarchuk.html)

vivalostwages
04-06-2001, 06:37 PM
When I was in high school my history teacher showed us the film NIGHT AND FOG, about concentration camps. Seeing all those emaciated bodies being bulldozed into mass graves was probably the worst thing I've ever seen and ever will see.

**MESSAGE TO GROK***: Do you mean there's someone besides me who saw THREADS ??? I saw it while in college, but can't find a video of it anywhere, and I've got movie catalogs like crazy. Did it turn up on PBS or cable or something? Any info from you, or anyone for that matter, would be appreciated.

CnoteChris
04-06-2001, 11:25 PM
Sir Rhosis-

There is in fact a movie of the Vietnamese soldier's execution and a picture.

I've seen both. And yes, in the movie, it shows blood squirting out of the side of the guys head as he's shot. It's gruesome.

IIRC, from memory alone, it was a public execution of a North Vietnamese solder convicted of spying or some such thing back during the war. It was a fairly big case and the execution took place in front of a number of reporters and newscrews there for the trial. I also seem to recall that when it aired in the U.S., it cemented the anti-war cause in the U.S.. Alot of people were moved by both the picture and the grainy footage. Ironic, considering this was going on all over the place in Vietnam.

The one that sticks out in my mind was the first real killing that I'd ever seen on T.V.. I think I was about nine or ten at the time.

It was a while back when Central America was in the midst of a number of uprisings and coups. The late 70's (?).

A news crew is there reporting on the tensions and fighting in the area. A U.S. reporter, going for the scoop interview, walks up to talk to a rebel soldier in the street. The camera was aways a away, and you can't hear the audio between the soldier and the reporter, but you can clearly see what's going on.

You see the reporter walk up soldier, rather calmy, at this point, and try to interview the guy. You then see him hold his hands up in the air and stand back from the soldier. Then, as the camera man starts whispering to himself, off camera, "Oh no. no. No!" he proceeds to get on his hands and knees and begin to motion widely. He's begging for his life. He then lays down on the ground, per the soldiers orders, spread-eagle, and is shot in the head."

I'll never forget it.

berdollos
04-06-2001, 11:54 PM
Your images are truly horrible and gruesome. I hope you are ok.

Totoro
04-07-2001, 12:00 AM
This thread... I can't even finish it... I'm so scared, and now i have to go to bed...

AwSnappity
04-07-2001, 12:51 AM
When I was in 7th grade, there were a bunch of abortion protestors right in front of our school. They had huge signs with incredibly graphic pictures. The one I remember most showed a pair of forceps holding the unidentifiable head of a fetus. Also in the picture was a tray holding other various parts of the fetus.

Less graphic is when some guy exposed himself to my cross country team my freshman year of HS. I was 14. He was in his car and he was pants-less and masturbating and he would follow our bus (he would turn around and wait for us if he had made a light that we hadn't). That doesn't sound so horrifying (because it isn't) but it was still shocking and I'm more scared of sex now than before.

Badtz Maru
04-09-2001, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by berdollos
Your images are truly horrible and gruesome. I hope you are ok.

Thanks. I think I handle them pretty well. The good thing about dreams like that is the sense of relief you feel when you wake up.

Mercutio
04-09-2001, 08:41 PM
This man(?) (http://members.aol.com/eutychus55/patrick2.jpg)

Stoid
04-11-2001, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by vivalostwages

**MESSAGE TO GROK***: Do you mean there's someone besides me who saw THREADS ??? I saw it while in college, but can't find a video of it anywhere, and I've got movie catalogs like crazy. Did it turn up on PBS or cable or something? Any info from you, or anyone for that matter, would be appreciated.

I've seen it a bunch of times. I show it to everyone I can get to sit still for it. Completely creepy, but kind of a cheesy ending. A finer, more deeply disturbing film is the one with Jane Alexander and WIlliam Devane... "Testament" - also early Kevin Costner and Rebecca De Mornay. Very deeply disturbing and sad.

By the way, I don't know where you live, but I've never had any trouble finding it at video stores.

A quick Google search turned up this:

http://www.ibp-intl.demon.co.uk/nuke/threads.html

stoid

Stoid
04-11-2001, 03:17 AM
I've never seen anything really horrible in real life

In documentaries:

1) A cat in some Asian country, being prepped for dinner: drop quickly in hot water to soften skin, stir, pull out, skin (in one neat motion, i might add) and drop in cold water, where we get to enjoy the site of the cat spasming and gasping for air, atill alive. Cool.

2) Old film of some psychotic fucks doing some kind of "experiement" which involved tying a conscious pig down, then blowtorching it's skin til it bubbles up and peels off, with the pig screaming and struggling. Even cooler.

<Leaves room, vomits, crys, returns>

Now, we all know the Internet is an endless source of mind-boggling horror. Lots of dismemberment, scrambled brains, human roadkill. But among my favorites, I'd have to list:

1) The autopsy photo of the lovely young female murder victim...not an amazing amount of blood or viscera, but there didn't need to be: she had a broom shoved so far up inside her that just the broom itself and about six inches of the handle was still visible. (Gasp, churn, more vomit)

2) The suicide victim who, fantastically, committed the deed by cutting himself in half at the waste with a circular saw. The photo was black and white, and the body parts were already in rigor mortis, the lower half still "sitting" at the saw, the upper half having fallen to the side. Now THAT was a man intent on dying!

stoid
who used to have a fascination with this stuff, and the Internet satisfied it.

PS: A non-violent horror: a video of two cute little Japanese girls, giggling away, one in the bath, the other perched on the edge. The one perched leans over, barfs into the water. Giggling all around. Girl in water fishes out the chunks, eats them. Neato.

(Runs from the room gagging)

Tixenfleaz
04-11-2001, 02:00 PM
I've been a firefighter for 14 years and I've seen some pretty hideous things. But the one that sticks out is a 15 year old kid who got half of his head ripped off in an auto accident. A cop had fished out his wallet for ID and was looking at the back of a photo of the kid and his girlfriend. He was laughing and pretending to read the back of the photo. "Dear Brad, I love the way you ---- me in the --- with your big long ----". I was about to tell the cop that he was a sick piece of shit until I noticed that his eyes were as round as saucers. Just his way of dealing with it, I guess.
Another thing that bugged the hell out of me was a photo of a tiny Egyptian woman being led (carried) to the gallows for the murder of her husband. Her face was an absolute rictus of terror. I wasn't so big on the death penalty after that.

Dolores Reborn
04-11-2001, 04:04 PM
The worst thing I ever saw was in 1980. I arrived at work, my first drafting job, at my boss's house. I smelled smoke. The next door neighbor lady was on her porch. Even though she didn't speak English, we managed to communicate that we both smelled smoke. At that moment, the house next to hers started pouring smoke, and flames spouted from the roof. A man came out. It was horrible. He only had underwear on, and skin was peeling from him in strips, he was so badly burned. I ran inside to call 911, and we got a blanket to wrap him in.

It turns out that the guy had an alcohol/drug problem, and his wife had left him. He decided to commit suicide by hooking up a garden hose to his gas fireplace and piping in the gas to his bedroom. The gas didn't kill him, and when he awoke the next morning he lit a cigarette. Ka-Boom!

Several houses' roofs caught fire from this Darwin Award wannabe.

I was interviewed on the news as a witness. My lousy 15 (try 2) minutes of fame. I looked totally pasty white, and I stuttered a bit.

I still remember the way he looked.

bdgr
04-11-2001, 05:42 PM
Without a doubt my best friend/roommate who shot himself. I walked in to my appartment, and I found him laying there, making chocking sounds. There was about a three foot pool of blood, goo, and some sort of clear liquid by his head. I shoved my other roommate out the door and told her to run to the payphone and call 911. I then yelled at him "what the fuck did you do?" About then, I looked over across the kitchen floor and saw my gun(it actually belong to the security company I worked for...they were most amused) lying on floor covered with blood and other stuff. I picked it up, kind of in a daze, and opened it. It had been fired once. I then put it on the table and ran out to the payphone where other roommate was screaming hysterically into the phone and talked to the 911 operator. Damn...Its been ten years and I still get emotional thinking about this.

A distant second was finding my Great Dane dead of bloat on my back porch...and then having to deal with the question of what does one do with a 160 pound dead bloated great dane. By the time I could get anyone over to help, it had been sitting in the 100+ texas heat for half the day. You know the old saying, friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies....At least I had a couple of real freinds. I called up my vet, described what had happened, and she said more or less that great danes just do that some times. They should come with a warning label.

lno
04-12-2001, 03:33 PM
January 1997, rural northern Minnesota, front passenger seat of a Dodge Neon, my girlfriend behind the wheel. We were broadsided by some big SUV, damned if I can remember what, on the driver's side. I got nicked by flying glass, she died within the next forty minutes while waiting for the helicopter to the trauma center.

I was kept overnight in the local hospital up there for observation to make sure I didn't have any internal injuries. It felt like such a surreal dream. I woke up in the morning and saw my coat hanging on a hook; the left shoulder and sleeve were splashed with blood. Either someone fucked up, or just didn't notice it, and left it in my room with me.

Still a tossup whether the horrifying part was seeing Erin unconscious in the immediate aftermath of the crash, or waking up and having it all feel so real again by seeing her blood on my jacket.

todaystomsawyer
04-14-2001, 06:38 PM
Oh, my god. I can't even think right now, after reading everyone's posts. I want to express my deepest sorrow to those who suffered and lost loved ones.
I've seen some things in my lifetime, but again, I can't even see straight right now, so I'll post later.

UncleBill
04-14-2001, 08:54 PM
I must be one of the many who have avoided looking at this thread, then had their own thoughts, maybe started to reply, then backspaced out of it.

I was lead 5-Ton Truck in a convoy of Marine Corps vehicles in NC. An El Dorado crossed the centerline on a curve and smacked into the front left part of the truck. Our driver did everything possible to avoid the accident (poor kid). The man in the El Dorado did not die right away, but was very messed up. He never regained consciousness, thank God. I'll leave the details out. That was my convoy.

In the Gulf War there were plenty of Krispy Kritters on the other side, and I actually got used to that. One driver of an Iraqi armored personnel carrier was not toasted, just dead. The BMP was kind of nose down into a tank hole (it had apparently run into it). The driver seemed to have a leg wound on his right thigh. The impact of his head to the cupola rim had sheared off the top of his skull, and these were drippings from his brain on his leg. He looked fine except that and the flat, loose skin on the top of his head. Didn't bother me then, bothers me now.

A Marine was back from a patrol and in a group of five guys, a hand grenade fell from his flak jacket and the spoon flipped off. He fell on it. I didn't see gore and much blood, I was about 100 yards away and didn't actually SEE it happen. But the image and the thoughts of what that guy went through make me both proud and horrified.

Still thinking of backspacing out......

spathiphyllum
04-14-2001, 11:11 PM
Just reading the descriptions of these horrifying images makes me want to cry. I hope that those of you who have been through traumatic losses of family members/friends/pets have healed from the tragedy.

I try to avoid seeking out horrifying images. I know the curiosity is bound to be easier to cope with than the horror and revulsion of looking. Although I was curious about how and why Bud Dwyer did what he did, and therefore looked at pages about it online, I have always very consciously avoided looking at the actual photos/movie of his suicide.

Firsthand, I guess one of the worst things I've seen was last winter when my Dad developed a extremely painful and gruesome leg infection due to severely restricted blood flow in his leg (such things tend to happen to diabetic smokers). Ultimately, he had to have an amputation. It was deeply traumatic to see the pain he was in, especially since I had been warning my parents for months to get the leg treated before he had to have it amputated. Since the long hospital stay after the amputation forced him to stop smoking finally, I just pray that nothing like that will happen again.
The only possible silver lining is the hope that every time I talk about the nightmarish experience in public, someone out there may have second thoughts about continuing to smoke before something equally horrible happens to them.