PDA

View Full Version : Worst songs that open an album side

dalej42
06-30-2012, 10:59 PM
What do you think is the worst song that opens an album that was released during the LP era?

I'm going to say Within you, Without you, which opens side 2 of Sgt. Pepper. I really like most of George's work, but the heavy Indian music he was into at the time just never did it for me. I'm not sure what my reaction would have been if I would have bought this record in 1967, but I know that when I bought in on vinyl in the 1980s I hated the song and usually skipped it when I listened to Pepper.

drastic_quench
06-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Not the worst, but I never liked "Money" kicking off Side two of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of The Moon.

RealityChuck
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
"Space Child" opens the second side of Spirit's The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus. It's merely ok, making it the weakest song on the album.

TreacherousCretin
06-30-2012, 11:36 PM
What do you think is the worst song that opens an album that was released during the LP era?

I'm going to say Within you, Without you, which opens side 2 of Sgt. Pepper. I really like most of George's work, but the heavy Indian music he was into at the time just never did it for me. I'm not sure what my reaction would have been if I would have bought this record in 1967, but I know that when I bought in on vinyl in the 1980s I hated the song and usually skipped it when I listened to Pepper.

I can't think of a better example.

JKellyMap
07-01-2012, 12:35 AM
"Radio Song" makes you think R.E.M.'s Out of Time is going to suck. Well, it doesn't.

(No, I have nothing against rap, hip-hop, or KRS-One. The song just blows, that's all.)

Thudlow Boink
07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
"Procession (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K0fbcABS_Y)" (written description on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procession_(The_Moody_Blues_song))), the opening track on (side 1 of) the Moody Blues' album Every Good Boy Deserves Favour. This album of mostly catchy, listenable, great songs opens with four and a half minutes of the Moodies at their artsy-fartsiest, and whenever I listen to the album I generally start it at track 2.

Charley
07-01-2012, 04:02 AM
The first track on The Smiths' The Queen is Dead side two is Bigmouth Strikes Again, which, at the time it came out, I hated. Luckily I had it on cassette then, so with practice I managed to time flipping the thing over so that there was minimal fast-forwarding required. I have to say that now I do appreciate the track much more, and I don't skip it at all these days.

JKellyMap
07-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Oops, 1991 is a bit late for "album era". My bad.

I propose "Save the Life of my Child", which weakly opens Side 2 of Simon and Garfunkel's masterful Bookends.

TreacherousCretin
07-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Oops, 1991 is a bit late for "album era". My bad.

I propose "Save the Life of my Child", which weakly opens Side 2 of Simon and Garfunkel's masterful Bookends.

Every vinyl copy I've ever seen opens Side 2 with Fakin' It.
Side 1 opens with Bookends, followed by Save The Life Of My Child.

JohnT
07-01-2012, 12:43 PM

:(

pseudotriton ruber ruber
07-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I always thought George was doing us a favor by letting us opt to begin the second side after WYWY. It's a perfectly good album that way.

JKellyMap
07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Every vinyl copy I've ever seen opens Side 2 with Fakin' It.
Side 1 opens with Bookends, followed by Save The Life Of My Child.

:smack: I was thinking of Side 1, you're right.

And, technically, it's not the first track, so you're right about that as well. But...the first track is not "Bookends," which is a real song that closes Side 1, but rather "Bookends Theme," which is just a short instrumental echo of the real song.

That's how I "parse" the album when listening to it, anyway.

njtt
07-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Dire Straits's eponymous first album is odd in that every song on side two is very noticeably better than any song on side one; it almost like listening to a different band. Side two opens with the strongest song, and the hit, Sultans of Swing, but side one opens with the weak "Down to the Waterline." Arguably there are yet weaker songs on side one, but anything from side two would have made a stronger opening.

Face Intentionally Left Blank
07-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Opinions vary, but I always disliked King Crimson's , "21st Century Schizoid Man", the very first song from, "In the Court of the Crimson King". So unlike the rest of the album.

Gagundathar
07-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I agree with Face Intentionally Left Blank about the otherwise amazingly great "In the Court of the Crimson King". "21st Century Schizoid Man" is more grunge than anything else and really contrasts poorly to the melodic prog-rock in the rest of the album.

Now, I like grunge, don't misunderstand me. It is just that that particular album is a bad place to put that song.

Nightfall1
07-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Within You Without You. This song got me into my lifelong love affair with Indian music, which got me into World music, which got me into all the different types of music I had never given a chance. Thank you George.

An Arky
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Outside World, which opens Midnight Oil's 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 album. Not a bad song, but it plods and you keep expecting it to kick in, but it never does.

TreacherousCretin
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Within You Without You. This song got me into my lifelong love affair with Indian music, which got me into World music, which got me into all the different types of music I had never given a chance. Thank you George.

Love You To did that for me, and it fit nicely into Revolver. As much as I loved George (he was always the Beatle I would liked to have dinner with), I never cared for WYWY, especially in the context of the Pepper album. My loss.

RealityChuck
07-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I agree with Face Intentionally Left Blank about the otherwise amazingly great "In the Court of the Crimson King". "21st Century Schizoid Man" is more grunge than anything else and really contrasts poorly to the melodic prog-rock in the rest of the album.

Now, I like grunge, don't misunderstand me. It is just that that particular album is a bad place to put that song.
It was the song that got them the recording contract, so of course it was first. It also was the best thing they ever did.

AHunter3
07-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Not the worst, but I never liked "Money" kicking off Side two of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of The Moon.

^^^^ this.

Other nominations: "Custard Pie" is one of the worst, if not THE worst, song on Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti. The Yes album Fragile started side 2 with some awful bit of twanging titled "Five Percent for Nothing".

ZipperJJ
07-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I love "Within You Without You" now but as a kid listening to Sgt. Pepper's on tape in the 90s, I always flipped the tape then fast-forwarded through that song.

wedgehed
07-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Dire Straits's eponymous first album is odd in that every song on side two is very noticeably better than any song on side one; it almost like listening to a different band. Side two opens with the strongest song, and the hit, Sultans of Swing, but side one opens with the weak "Down to the Waterline." Arguably there are yet weaker songs on side one, but anything from side two would have made a stronger opening.

Totally disagree. Down to the Waterline has some of the tastiest guitar licks on the whole album. I like it better than Sultans of Swing and I really like SoS.

Side one also contains Six Blade Knife, which I consider another tasty morsel of Knopfler goodness.

I agree that the other songs on side one are kind of "meh", & that side two is good from beginning to end.

scabpicker
07-02-2012, 03:17 AM
"If You Can't Rock Me" opening the Rolling Stones' It's Only Rock 'n Roll. It's a bad opener with an unfortunate title. It can't rock me, and I know that their cover of "Ain't too Proud to Beg" is next. I don't know if I've head the end of the opener on that album more than once.

Ponch8
07-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Hey! That's the only Pink Floyd song I like!

It's Not Rocket Surgery!
07-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Peter Gabriel's Up opens with "Darkness", which is the worst song on the album, and is also extremely jarring if you turn it up too loud (which is easy, since it opens very low and suddenly throws in noise at high volume).

astorian
07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Opinions vary, but I always disliked King Crimson's , "21st Century Schizoid Man", the very first song from, "In the Court of the Crimson King". So unlike the rest of the album.

I like "Schizoid Man," but you're absolutely right, it sounds VERY different from everything else on the album.

At different times, I've heard Ian McDonald, Robert Fripp, Greg Lake, Mike Giles and Pete Sinfield telling hilarious stories about fans who'd only heard "I Talk to the Wind" or "Moonchild" coming out to hear the band, thinking they were some kind of arty psychedelic folk-pop group like the Moody Blues. Many of those people raced for the exits when they opened their sets with "Schizoid Man."

Labdad
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
"Nightime in the Switching Yard," which is the opening track on side 2 of Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy has no business being on the record at all. Calling it "filler" doesn't do justice to filler.

Zevon's one of my all-time favorites and I love seven of the nine tunes on the album.

I've never been particularly fond of "Johnny Strikes Up the Band," which opens side 1, either. But "Nightime in the Switching Yard" is so much worse!

In fact, I'd nominate Excitable Boy as the best album ever made with weak opening tracks on both sides.

cjepson
07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Another Side of Bob Dylan opens with "All I Really Want To Do"... not a horrible song, but I think it's the weakest track on the album, a throwaway by Dylan standards that might have sounded better if he hadn't been so drunk.

lost4life
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
"Nightime in the Switching Yard," which is the opening track on side 2 of Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy has no business being on the record at all. Calling it "filler" doesn't do justice to filler.

Zevon's one of my all-time favorites and I love seven of the nine tunes on the album.

I've never been particularly fond of "Johnny Strikes Up the Band," which opens side 1, either. But "Nightime in the Switching Yard" is so much worse!

In fact, I'd nominate Excitable Boy as the best album ever made with weak opening tracks on both sides.

Being a Zevon fan, I often wondered if that song involved a dare or a lost bet. It's totally out of place

njtt
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Totally disagree. Down to the Waterline has some of the tastiest guitar licks on the whole album. I like it better than Sultans of Swing and I really like SoS.

Side one also contains Six Blade Knife, which I consider another tasty morsel of Knopfler goodness.

I agree that the other songs on side one are kind of "meh", & that side two is good from beginning to end.

Oh I agree that the guitar is good on side one, and maybe particularly on Down to the Waterline, but the playing is good throughout the album anyway. Yes, DttW does have some nice licks (and most of us have probably heard Sultans of Swing too often now). My problem is that none of the songs, as songs, on side one are all that good: not horrible, just weak. Are you seriously suggesting the strained metaphor of Six Blade Knife measures up to any of the side two songs? Actually, my favorite side one track is the closer, Southbound Again, but that, perhaps, is because it knows it is a throwaway, and isn't trying too hard.

wedgehed
07-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh I agree that the guitar is good on side one, and maybe particularly on Down to the Waterline, but the playing is good throughout the album anyway. Yes, DttW does have some nice licks (and most of us have probably heard Sultans of Swing too often now). My problem is that none of the songs, as songs, on side one are all that good: not horrible, just weak. Are you seriously suggesting the strained metaphor of Six Blade Knife measures up to any of the side two songs? Actually, my favorite side one track is the closer, Southbound Again, but that, perhaps, is because it knows it is a throwaway, and isn't trying too hard.

Hell, I rarely understand what the fuck Mark is singing about. He could be reciting the phone book for all I know.

:p