PDA

View Full Version : Blazing Saddles Question - Mongo

notfrommensa
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Watched Blazing Saddles last night, uncut. on Dish Satellite's HD Movie Channel (Channel 130)

But I do think a scene or two was cut out when Sheriff Bart was capturing Mongo. They showed Bart giving Mongo a CandyGram. But that was the only one.

But wasn't there a scene where Mongo in a deep sea diving garb? and another that slips my mind?

I have seen Blazing Saddles probably about 20 times, in bits and pieces. but I have never seen Blazing Saddles on DVD so I don't think it is "extra bonus scenes" that might have been added to a DVD.

Omar Little
07-02-2012, 03:31 PM
The diving scene was not in the theatrical release, but in the release for TV.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071230/alternateversions

•The TV release has five extra scenes that weren't in the theatrical release:
◦When Sheriff Bart is trying to capture Mongo, after he delivers the "CandyGram for Mongo", it then shows a "draw on the dummy sheriff" game that fires a cannon at Mongo, and then a scene Bart convinces Mongo to go diving down a well for Spanish Doubloons and Bart stops pumping air to the diving suit because it's time for his lunch break.
◦Bart and Jim run away from Hedley Lamarr and his gang whilst wearing the KKK outfits. They run into some Born-again Christians having a baptism/picnic and join in.
◦Lily Von Shtupp (Madeline Kahn) gives a brief spoken introduction to the saloon crowd before beginning her song.
◦Governor Le Petomaine (Mel Brooks) arrives in the fake Rock Ridge a few moments before the final showdown, in a stagecoach with a flashing red light on the back, makes a joke about losing the "blue collar vote" and does a skit in the town where he impersonates Harpo Marx.
◦When the dynamite fails to explode, Lily Von Schtuup says with some German rambling that it didn't work. When nobody knows what she said the guy that speaks frontier gibberish tries to translate. Those around him hit him with their hats.

Bryan Ekers
07-02-2012, 03:31 PM
I dunno, me only pawn in game of life.

notfrommensa
07-02-2012, 03:45 PM
thanks, OK I do remember the shootout scene with the cannon now.

I do not remember Bart and Jim picnicking with the Born Again Christians or the other scenes you have mentioned.

I guess I should have looked at IMDB. But what the heck, another Blazing Saddles thread can't be all bad, can it?

Hard to believe that Mongo will be 77 later this month.

Airk
07-02-2012, 03:47 PM
The diving scene was not in the theatrical release, but in the release for TV.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071230/alternateversions

Bizzarely, I only remember about half of these. I would swear up and down that the baptism scene has been in every time I've seen the movie, that I've only seen the "Deep sea diving" scene once or twice, and I've NEVER seen the Governor arriving in Fake Rock Ridge.

Movie versions are weird.

installLSC
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I saw the Mongo underwater and Govenor scenes all the time on TV as a kid in the 80s, but never saw the others.
It does bring up question I've always wondered. When films are aired on TV, who does the edits? The movie studio, the syndicator, or individual stations?

Bryan Ekers
07-02-2012, 04:06 PM
I wasn't familiar with the deep-sea diving bit, but I do recall the baptists moment (Bart and Jim are wearing robes stolen from a couple of Klansman, have to bolt when Lamarr discoveres the ruse, they stumble on a baptismal ceremony with people wearing similar robes and join them, singing - as I recall - Wade in the Water, Children) and Petomaine's visit to Rock Ridge ("Governor, what are your impressions of Rock Ridge?", followed by Petomaine briefly doing an impression of Harpo Marx).

Of course, I'd seen the movie several times before I found out about the campfire farting scene, it being routinely cut for television.

Now I wonder how many "versions" there are. Likely more than for Blade Runner.

AncientHumanoid
07-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Blazing Runner would be an interesting movie.

"Tell me only the good things about your mother, Heddy."

::shoots him underneath table:: "That's HEDLEY!"

notfrommensa
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I do not remember the baptism scene or the LePetomane/Rock Ridge scene at all (that one sound hilarious).

I never saw Blazing Saddles in a theater. First time I saw it was on HBO when I was a freshman or Sophomore in High School. At a friends house. 1976 or 1977.

Bryan Ekers
07-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particulary glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic cityspeak gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

TreacherousCretin
07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm pretty sure all of those scenes are on the Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary DVD.

silenus
07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I first saw Blazing Saddles when it was first released, in a theater. I ended up with Jujubes all over my pants from literally falling out of my seat laughing.

The TV edits don't add anything, and they destroy anything wonderful about the film. SBDs aren't funny.

It was only years later I got what the Mexican said when Mongo rode into town.

ftg
07-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Mongo seen things Sheriff Bart not believe.
Choo-choos on fire near the quicksand bog.
Mongo watch glow worms in dark near phony turnpike gate.
All those moments lost in my brain, like rain in tears.
Time to punch.

kaylasdad99
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I wasn't familiar with the deep-sea diving bit, but I do recall the baptists moment (Bart and Jim are wearing robes stolen from a couple of Klansman, have to bolt when Lamarr discoveres the ruse, they stumble on a baptismal ceremony with people wearing similar robes and join them, singing - as I recall - Wade in the Water, Children) and Petomaine's visit to Rock Ridge ("Governor, what are your impressions of Rock Ridge?", followed by Petomaine briefly doing an impression of Harpo Marx).
:confused:

That's odd. I remember him doing an impression of Toulouse-Lautrec.

Bryan Ekers
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
:confused:

That's odd. I remember him doing an impression of Toulouse-Lautrec.

Him, too.

Musicat
07-02-2012, 04:51 PM
And I have a book version of Blazing Saddles, and it includes, some in pictures, some of the "deleted" scenes mentioned in this thread, but not all.

"It's twue! It's twue!", "Ma'am...that's my arm" is in the book.

So many versions exist. They're all good.

gaffa
07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
And I have a book version of Blazing Saddles, and it includes, some in pictures, some of the "deleted" scenes mentioned in this thread, but not all.

"It's twue! It's twue!", "Ma'am...that's my arm" is in the book.

So many versions exist. They're all good.
I thought the deleted line was: "I hate to disappoint you, but you're sucking on my elbow."

Musicat
07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
I thought the deleted line was: "I hate to disappoint you, but you're sucking on my elbow."Yeah, you're probably right. I didn't feel like getting up from the computer to find the actual line in the book, and besides, since this is the SDMB, I knew some Doper would save me the trouble. :)

Loach
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I do remember the made for TV scenes. Although they are not awful, it does not make up for the abomination that is the cut-up version of the movie. Silence during the fart scene. "The little bastard shot me in the ass" turned into "the little punk shot me in the you know". Just awful.

terentii
07-02-2012, 05:40 PM
The movie studio, the syndicator, or individual stations?

If it's being shown on a network, then the network's own censors edit it. If it's being shown on a local station (do they still DO that?), then the station's film cutters---probably to put in more commercials, since it's likely they rented a bowldlerized version in the first place.

Elendil's Heir
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
"Izzat a ten-gallon hat, or are you chust enchoying the show...?"

bienville
07-03-2012, 04:31 AM
Wasn't there some bizarre sequence in the T.V. version where a newlywed Mongo is asked to raise the son of an old football buddy who has died? I could swear I remember seeing that on T.V.

lawoot
07-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Time to punch.

...a horse.

Hypno-Toad
07-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Time to punch.

You use your tongue prettier than a ten-dollar whore.

Elendil's Heir
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
...Let's play chess.

RealityChuck
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Do people still get the pun that gives Mongo his name?

To refresh memories, when he shows up in town, someone says, "Mongo! Santa Maria!"

silenus
07-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Post #12.

Rick
07-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Do people still get the pun that gives Mongo his name?

To refresh memories, when he shows up in town, someone says, "Mongo! Santa Maria!"For those of us that are a little slow, could you explain?

Little Nemo
07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
For those of us that are a little slow, could you explain?"Mon Gosan Tama-Reo" was a popular Japanese cartoon series that was broadcast in the United States in the last sixties.

If you give me ten minutes, you can verify this on Wikipedia.

Or you could check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongo_Santamar%C3%ADa).

Rick
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks

Yask
07-04-2012, 12:38 AM
"Mon Gosan Tama-Reo" was a popular Japanese cartoon series that was broadcast in the United States in the last sixties.

If you give me ten minutes, you can verify this on Wikipedia.

Or you could check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongo_Santamar%C3%ADa).

I was half-whooshed. About to write a wassyoutalkinbout Willis and drop a couple Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbE7jf_Hp5w) links when I thought I should chekc out Nemo's link to make sure there wasn't an alternate explanation.

Good one.

Rick, click the Youtube link here (promise it's about as opposite a RickRoll as you can get).

Little Nemo
07-04-2012, 12:07 PM
On a trivia note, that was probably a Richard Pryor joke. Pryor was one of the writers for the Blazing Saddles script. Mel Brooks later said that Pryor loved Mongo and wrote almost all of the Mongo jokes.

And Pryor was well known as a fan of Japanese cartoons.

AncientHumanoid
07-04-2012, 12:17 PM
On a trivia note, that was probably a Richard Pryor joke. Pryor was one of the writers for the Blazing Saddles script. Mel Brooks later said that Pryor loved Mongo and wrote almost all of the Mongo jokes.

And Pryor was well known as a fan of Japanese cartoons.

That guy was on fire!

Ashley Pomeroy
07-04-2012, 12:38 PM

"Look at my hand."
(holds up hand)
"Steady as a rock."
(pulls out other hand, which is twisted into a claw)
"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a gunslinger."

"You're reading a magazine. You come across a full-page nude photo of a girl."
"Deckard, I'm not a weplicant. I need some west."

Little Nemo
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer. Methodist."

AncientHumanoid
07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
"Howard Johnson is right! We don't want no Skin Job as our sheriff!"

ftg
07-04-2012, 05:39 PM
You guys have got to stop tempting me. I just wanted to do Roy's last speech. I am seriously tempted to do the dressing room scene but with Sheriff Bart and Lili. E.g.,

"Are you ver veal?"

AncientHumanoid
07-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Sheriff Black Deckard, after Gabby Johnson's unintelligible speech: "I knew the lingo. Every good cop did."

AncientHumanoid
07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Sheriff Black Deckard voiceover: "All I needed was 24 hours. I had to persuade the townspeople to give me 24 hours."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheriff Black Deckard: "Just give me twenty-four hours to come up with a brilliant idea to save our town. Just twenty-four hours, that's all I ask."

Townspeople: [in unison] "No!"

Sheriff Black Deckard: "You'd do it for Ridley Scott."

AncientHumanoid
07-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Accelewated decwepitude.

lawoot
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Sheriff Black Deckard voiceover: "All I needed was 24 hours. I had to persuade the townspeople to give me 24 hours."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheriff Black Deckard: "Just give me twenty-four hours to come up with a brilliant idea to save our town. Just twenty-four hours, that's all I ask."

Townspeople: [in unison] "No!"

Sheriff Black Deckard: "You'd do it for Ridley Scott."

Stands. Salutes. Sings: "RIDLEY SCOTT!"

Princhester
07-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Gaff: Are we awake?
Deckard: We're not sure. Are we... a replicant?
Gaff: Yes, we are.
Deckard: Then we're awake... but we're very puzzled.

Evil Captor
07-05-2012, 12:21 AM
"The Sheriff is a rep!
"WHAT?"
"THE SHERIFF IS A REP!"
"What did he say?"
"He said the sheriff is a Republican!"

Band strikes up

lawoot
07-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Black Deckard:"Candygram for Roy Batty! Candygram for Roy Batty!

Roy: "Me Roy Batty."

Black Deckard: "Sign, please ... Thank you."

Roy: "Roy Batty like candy."

[he opens the box - BOOM!]

Hypno-Toad
07-05-2012, 10:51 AM
"He say, You Brack Sheriff!"

TreacherousCretin
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite comedies, Blade Runner is my single favorite SF film, and you people are killing me. I hope this thread never gets back on track. Keep 'em coming.

"He say you brack sheriff".... <snort>

AncientHumanoid
07-05-2012, 01:57 PM
A horse drawn blimp floats by...

"This announcement is brought to you by the Governor LePetomane Corporation - helping America into the New World.

A new life awaits you in the Rock Ridge colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!"

ftg
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Waco Kid : Hey boys, look what I got here.
Sheriff Bart: Hey, where are the basic pleasure models at?

AncientHumanoid
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Gaff: Are we awake?
Deckard: We're not sure. Are we... a replicant?
Gaff: Yes, we are.
Deckard: Then we're awake... but we're very puzzled.

:cool:

Wargamer
07-06-2012, 10:16 AM
(Mongo is chained to the jail cell bars, snoring away peacefully.)

Sheriff Bart(tossing a bucket of water on Mongo): Wake up Mongo! Time to die!

Wargamer
07-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Deckard: You are leafing through a magazine and you come across an advertisement with a nude woman in it.
Rachel: Huh! Rachel straight!

Snickers
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
<aside>

I ran one of those adventure-race 5Ks last weekend. You know, the ones with like 12 obstacles scattered throughout? Anyway, it was super hot, and I'd gotten a cup of water from a medical lady after the first obstacle. (She just asked me if I wanted one, and I was all, "Sho!") Anyway, a girl behind me was wondering where I got it, and the guy she was with just theorized that maybe I'd been carrying it from the start. "She's got really steady hands," he said. I turned, and waggled my other hand around and said:

"Yeah, but I shoot with this hand."

Made my day, anyway.

</aside>

TreacherousCretin
07-06-2012, 04:21 PM
<aside>

I ran one of those adventure-race 5Ks last weekend. You know, the ones with like 12 obstacles scattered throughout? Anyway, it was super hot, and I'd gotten a cup of water from a medical lady after the first obstacle. (She just asked me if I wanted one, and I was all, "Sho!") Anyway, a girl behind me was wondering where I got it, and the guy she was with just theorized that maybe I'd been carrying it from the start. "She's got really steady hands," he said. I turned, and waggled my other hand around and said:

"Yeah, but I shoot with this hand."

Made my day, anyway.

</aside>

Bravo!! Did they get it? (I guess you would have told us.)

GargoyleWB
07-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Hide in the toys
Jump on his head
Then run away
Do handsprings instead
You'll be surprised you're doing the Pris Mistake!

Elendil's Heir
07-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Deckard: "Morning, ma'am! Mighty fine day!"
Pris: "Up yours, Blade Runner!"

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
07-08-2012, 11:44 PM
"Mongo seen things Sheriff Bart not believe.
Time to punch."

Genius!