PDA

View Full Version : Chain restaurants that no longer exist

City Gent
04-19-2001, 01:51 AM
L&K - mediocre Bob Evans/Lyon's type place that seemed to be concentrated along I-71 in Ohio.

Lordburger - Burger chain in the Northeast Ohio/Western Pennsylvania area

Burger Chef - I think everyone knew this one. Pioneers in putting bacon on hamburgers; went belly up around 1982 or so

jayjay
04-19-2001, 02:03 AM
Mmmm....Burger Chef. Loved them.

Sambo's - closed due to a perception of racism.

I don't know if this was a chain or local...Alaskaland.

Wimpy's.

Pappy's Pizza.

Showbiz Pizza Place (with the audio-animatronic bear Billy Bob...)

Some of these may still be extant, just not around here.

Mercutio
04-19-2001, 02:05 AM
jayjay There's a Showbiz Pizza right across the street from the local mall. Bad shape and their sign always is missing the right letters but it's still going. Damn good pizza.

brachyrhynchos
04-19-2001, 02:42 AM
Little Old Taco Maker - Southern California (elsewhere?)

Mmmmmmm, Mexicones! Best combination of refried beans and spicey alleged meat substance topped by cheese food in a fried corn cone.

Died sometimes in the late 60's, I think.

SPOOFE
04-19-2001, 02:59 AM
We used to have a lot of "Bob's Big Boy" running around here in southern California, but now the only time you see one is in an Austin Powers movie. Which is sad... I used to love that place.

Fear Itself
04-19-2001, 03:13 AM
Foster's Old Fashioned Freeze, an ice cream chain, circa 50's-60's, that had great soft serve ice cream.

Booker57
04-19-2001, 03:41 AM
Lums and Carrols. Two places in Upstate NY. Lums had frosted mugs of soda.

Evnglion
04-19-2001, 03:43 AM
as far as I an tell, Sonic Drive Thru has disappeared off the face of the earth

ILovCoffee
04-19-2001, 06:05 AM
We have one (a Sonic Drive-In) the next major thoroughfare over in Orlando, FL. There was a big ad campain when it opened in Oct 2000. My husband insisted that we must go. All I can say is I will not be going out of my way to patronize this chain. :P

I LOVED Burger Chef & Jeff-here in Florida they had a "toppings bar" --all the pickles (or not) that I wanted. YUM!

Shakey's Pizza! Loved the pizza and the entertainment. I remember going and it being SOOO packed. I was a kid at the time-so I do not know now if I would enjoy it or not. But I loved itwhen I was ages 6->12.

flodnak
04-19-2001, 06:15 AM
Ahhhh. Burger Chef. They had children's meals long before the Clown did, and the toys were better, too.

I was going to say Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, but Google claims they're still around. They used to have fries cut in the weirdest shape... the flodsister used to use them to scoop up truly impressive amounts of ketchup, back when ketchup was one of her major food groups.

Rue DeDay
04-19-2001, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by SPOOFE Bo Diddly
We used to have a lot of "Bob's Big Boy" running around here in southern California...

No "Bob's", but around here (Cincinnati, and they recently moved to Indianapolis...elsewhere?) we have "Frisch's Big Boy". Same Big Boy in his checker pants. So if "Big Boy" is the chain and the first name is who runs them, there still (sorta) around.

And the Burger Chef (and Jeff!) toys... weren't they great? I remember getting this 3 piece "rocket" toy. Plunger, launcher, and a rocket top that would actually fly off. You could put an eye out before your fries got cold. And wooden yo-yo's. A concusion waiting to happen. Ahh, the memories...

Godfather's Pizza. Was that just local? The comercials were so bad I'd guess they were.
Snappy Tomato Pizza. Also, just local? (Snap...Snap...Snappy To-ma-to Pizza! Ooo-oo-oo-ooooooo)[Their jingle by the way]
Bonanza Steakhouse. Almost exactly like Ponderosa.

Badtz Maru
04-19-2001, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Rue DeDay
We used to have a lot of "Bob's Big Boy" running around here in southern California...

No "Bob's", but around here (Cincinnati, and they recently moved to Indianapolis...elsewhere?) we have "Frisch's Big Boy". Same Big Boy in his checker pants. So if "Big Boy" is the chain and the first name is who runs them, there still (sorta) around.

And the Burger Chef (and Jeff!) toys... weren't they great? I remember getting this 3 piece "rocket" toy. Plunger, launcher, and a rocket top that would actually fly off. You could put an eye out before your fries got cold. And wooden yo-yo's. A concusion waiting to happen. Ahh, the memories...

Godfather's Pizza. Was that just local? The comercials were so bad I'd guess they were.
Snappy Tomato Pizza. Also, just local? (Snap...Snap...Snappy To-ma-to Pizza! Ooo-oo-oo-ooooooo)[Their jingle by the way]
Bonanza Steakhouse. Almost exactly like Ponderosa.

Where are you, Texas? Our little town had both a Bonanza and a Godfather's. The Godfather's Pizza was still in business only a few years ago.

kferr
04-19-2001, 07:53 AM
How about A&W drive-ins? They had PapaBurgers, MommaBurgers, BabyBurgers, and TeenBurgers, but my favorite was the pork tenderloin (not sure if it had a family name or not). They also did the best root beer on the planet.

KneadToKnow
04-19-2001, 08:05 AM
Dropped off the face of my corner of the earth, anyway:
- Grandy's (best fried potato thingies I've ever eaten)
- Taco Cid

CalMeacham
04-19-2001, 08:26 AM
Carrol's burgers weren't just in upstate N.Y. We had them in New Jersey, too.

Godfather's Pizza wasn't "local". They spanned several states (although I';ve never seen one in Massachusetts, and I don't know if they're around still).

Sonic has disappeared? It's weird you say that. Sonic has JUST started advertising in the Boston area. They must be planning on expanding here.

Dee's burgers in Salt Lake City. When they sold the Dee's chain to another Fast Food Franchise (see below) they took out all the giant Dee's clowns (their symbol) to a vast Dee Clown Graveyeard outside town.

Hardee's bought up Dee's and converted their restaurants. Now Hardee's seems to have gone the way of asll fast food flesh.

Big Barn was a chain in Salt Lake, too. They all closed before I came, but one local hamburger joint got some old signs, and was selling "Big Barney" burgers on account of those signs. One Big Barn restaurant was turned into a Chinese Restaurant. It was a good restaurant, too. I only realized what it had been when I stood well back, mentally subtracted part of the facade, and realized that the restaurant looked like a big barn.

I realize that International House of Pancakes is still around, but they closed an awful lot of their traditional peaked-roof restaurants, which are now serving as entirely new and different restaurants. I've seen these in Salt Lake and in Malden, Mass.

Gino's was a fast-food joint run by footballer Gino Marchetti. It served Kentucky Fried Chicken and hamburgers. It was years before I realized that there were separate KFC franchises.

Wild Bill's or Pecos Bill's was a franchise that never got started. It was the subject of a 60 Minutes story. Three of the franchisees, who had bought into the franchise that never was, decided to make a go of it, even without national advertising. One of them was on route 18 in East Brunswick, N.J. It lasted for a few years, but it's now a Wendy's.

Philster
04-19-2001, 08:44 AM
Genos (or was it Ginos?)

Their flaghsip sammich was the Geno Giant. It was rectangular - sort of the shape of the BK Chicken Sammich, 'cept it was a burger.

Genos was a Burger King/McDonalds type chain, and I believe it is one of the places that helped launch Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Colonel Sanders marketed his chicken through other restaurants before the KFC chain was born.

In the Northeast USofA, Kentucky Fried Chicken got it's hook into the market via Genos.

Damn! I could go for a bucket, even at this early hour.

I also believe they helped pioneer the "salad Bar" thingy in Fast Food Restaurants that seems to have finally faded from the 80's.

CalMeacham
04-19-2001, 08:49 AM
Philster:

It was definitely "Gino's" with an "i". I can still visualize their logo -- a cartoony Gino Marchetti carrying a burger on high.

It you wanted ketchup with your fries you got a minitaure cup of it with a lid -- the "Tater Dunker".

The first chain to sell KFC was (and still is -- they're still around) Harmon's in Salt Lake City. The very first KFC is south of Salt Lake, with "World's First KFC" in big brass letters on the side.

Tabeitha
04-19-2001, 09:03 AM
Wow, Usually someone beats me to it. I can't believe Jack-In-The-Box has not been mentioned yet. Anybody else remember them? I heard a rumor that the burgers there were made from Kangaroo meat. They used to put Thousand Island dressing on their burgers.

Roy Rogers is done for around here. They bought out Hardee's, then McD's bought out them. (I think that's how it went)

What about Tastee Freeze? Haven't seen one of those in a while.

jharding
04-19-2001, 09:06 AM
I'd endorse the votes for Shakeys too. And like other posters have noted, we've got a Sonic drive through in southeastern Kentucky that is always packed.

My fond childhood memories rest in the lovely Ground Round. A sit-down restaurant that was kept just dark enough that you couldn't see exactly what you were being served and every table had baskets of peanuts and popcorn. The tradition, at least at the Ground Round we frequented, was to freely toss one's peanut shells and popcorn and really anything else on to the floor. The only restaurant I knew of where if something didn't crunch under your feet--there was a problem.

Johnny L.A.
04-19-2001, 09:10 AM
Yup. Sambo's is gone. (For those who don't know, Sambo was an Indian boy who was chased around a tree by a tiger. He climbed the tree and the tiger ran around the tree faster and faster until he turned to butter. The restaurant had "stained glass" -- actually coloured plexiglass -- pictures of the story.)

Are Bob's Big Boy all gone? I thought they just got rid of the big fibreglas statue out front. Come to think of it, I haven't seen one in a while.

Shakeys Pizza is still around. There are a couple of them within a few miles of me.

Straw Hat Pizza. This was my favourite when I was a kid. I've heard there's still one in the L.A. area, but I don't know where it is.

A&W still exists, but I haven't seen one with "car hop" service. They seem to be drive-throughs or in malls now.

Pup'n'Taco. Never went to one, but I was chanel surfing a long time ago with interesting results: "And the banquet was laid out on the table..." *click* "Pup'n'Taco! Pup'n'Taco!"

JoJo's restaurant. They seem to have been bought by Coco's.

Naugles. Absorbed by Del Taco ("of the taco"?), I always thought they were better. Mmmmm! Alcohol-fueld cruise down the boulevard, followed by Naugles!

Pioneer Chicken. Are they still around? They had bigger pieces of chicken than KFC (back when KFC had "side breasts" and "centre breasts" instead of the whole piece) and I liked their yellow gravy better than KFC's brown gravy.

There are other places that were not chains that I miss. Joy's was a little lunch counter near Barstow, CA. Joy made the BEST burgers I've ever eaten. Her mother took ill and she had to close the diner to care for her. The Kittyhawk Café was at Santa Monica airport. The burgers there were the SECOND best I've had. Breakfast was good too. A bit greasy, but good. They closed and The Spitfire Grill opened in their place. The new owners must have cleaned the grill, since the burgers aren't as good. Everyone knows you can't make a decent burger without violating a few health codes!

Johnny L.A.
04-19-2001, 09:12 AM
I can't believe Jack-In-The-Box has not been mentioned yet.
Jack-In-The-Box is alive and well.

Spritle
04-19-2001, 09:29 AM
Ah... Gino's.

Want something yummy, something really delish. Just rub your tummy and make a wish.

Who_me?
04-19-2001, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CalMeacham
Big Barn was a chain in Salt Lake, too. They all closed before I came, but one local hamburger joint got some old signs, and was selling "Big Barney" burgers on account of those signs... I only realized what it had been when I stood well back, mentally subtracted part of the facade, and realized that the restaurant looked like a big barn.

I remember that chain... it actually was called Red Barn and I used to love the Big Barney.

Dolores Reborn
04-19-2001, 09:44 AM
Two Pesos Mexican restaurants. They stayed open until 3:00 am on weekends, perfect for the "after bar" set.

RealityChuck
04-19-2001, 10:16 AM
In upstate New York, Carroll's is still around -- sort of. The company now runs Burger Kings.

No one's mentioned Wetson's, for good reason. I ate there once, and their fries were memorable. They were, bar none, the worst french fries ever made. Not only that, but they were the worst possible french fry. Imagine raw potatoes covered in cold motor oil. These were worse.

I used to like eating at Needick's in New York City. They had a very nice orange drink.

Papa Ginos, a chain of pizza shops.

I believe Hardees bought out Roy Rogers, though in some areas, they were forced to change the name back to Roy Rogers (evidently, people knew of Hardee's reputation). Hardee's does seem to be gone, though.

Steak and Ale, an upscale chain restaurant. Actually, the food there was pretty good, but it seems to have vanished. Maybe it was before its time.

Is Long John Silver's still around? Tasteless fish filets. We once complained and the guy said he knew they had no flavor, but when they tried to add something, the customers complained.

Around here, there was Mike's Subs/Neba Roast Beef. They were actually the same chain; Neba came first, went into bankruptcy and its owner Mike started the sub shops as a separate corporation. Evidently he did no better at that, since the shops are long gone.

I also remember the Red Barn, though I never ate there. And it's great that Arthur Treacher's ("The Original Fish and Chips*") is making a comeback.

*Strangely enough, the slogan had some basis in fact: they bought up the shop in England that some historians considered the originator of the dish.

OxyMoron
04-19-2001, 10:16 AM
At least in suburban Maryland, where I grew up, Mariott converted all of the Bob's Big Boys into Shoneys. And I think Big Boys have a number of different names around the country - maybe depending on the franchisee's name?

Any Seattleites remember Herfy's? And Washingtonians Scholl's Cafeteria?

Oh, and what about Mariott's start - Hot Shoppes? The last one I remember was in the Montgomery Mall in Bethesda before it renovated in the late 80s.

Godfather's Pizza You Can't Refuse - I think they're mostly gone. Ground Round is still [ahem] around, mainly along interstates. I thought Shakey's was long dead, but it turns out they're still in business back home. I guess they just don't advertise anymore.

Superdude
04-19-2001, 10:39 AM
Okay, in my neck of the woods (Southern Indiana, right across the Ohio from Louisville, KY), we have Sonic. We have a Big Boy. We have Long John Silver's. Godfather's I VAGUELY remember, as I was very young (actually, Godfathers is now the name of a local strip club). On a recent trip to Atlanta, I stopped and ate in an IHOP. I've heard there's also one in Indianapolis, but have not driven up there to see. The one that I miss most of all, besides the curb A&W, is Druther's. Remember Andy Dandytale? He was their mascot. Kinda like Johnny Appleseed...burger joint. The food wasn't GREAT, but when you're a kid, any burger joint is good. Maybe I miss 'em so much because I once went on a mad hunt with this girl I was dating to find one since she was addicted. We heard that there was one halfway across the state, so we drove there one day. No Druther's. I still remember the jingle..."I'd Druther go to Druther's restaurant."

CalMeacham
04-19-2001, 11:03 AM
Papa Gino's pizza shops are still alive and well in the Boston area. Although they have closed quite a few shops, they have opened some new ones (there's one on Route 1 in Saugus, MA that's combined with a D'Angelo's sandwich shop). No relation to the Gino Marchetti chain noted above.

Roy Rogers is still around, whoever owns them. There's one near Sturbridge, MA along route 84, and another in the Brunswick Square Mall in East Brunswick, N.J.

Is "Needick's" supposed to be "Nathan's", the hot-dog emporium that started out at Coney Island? They've closed some franchises (at the Galleria in Cambridge, MA), but opened others (out in central MA, for instance).

Rue DeDay
04-19-2001, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Superdude
Okay, in my neck of the woods (Southern Indiana, right across the Ohio from Louisville, KY), we have Sonic.

Would that be Nob Knee? I worked with a woman who grew up in New Albany, and she said it was "Nob Knee". Anyway, there is an IHOP in Indy.

RealityChuck, Steak and Ale is still around. If the S & A in Indianapolis is the same chain. Their website (http://www.steakandale.com/) has a clickable map to see if there's one near you.
If Mike's Subs mutated into JERSEY Mike's Subs, then they are still around. If someone else with the terribly rare name of "Mike" got the brainstorm to open a sandwich shop, then it's different.

Superdude
04-19-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Rue DeDay
Originally posted by Superdude
Okay, in my neck of the woods (Southern Indiana, right across the Ohio from Louisville, KY), we have Sonic.

Would that be Nob Knee? I worked with a woman who grew up in New Albany, and she said it was "Nob Knee". Anyway, there is an IHOP in Indy.

Nob Knee? That it would be. Though we're not nearly as touchy about the way it's pronounced as Louisvillians are about THAT town (it's Luhvulle, not Louieville or Lewisville). You know it, huh?

kaiju
04-19-2001, 01:31 PM
Come to Wisconsin for some of those lost chains. We have Sonic, we have Hardee's, although the whole thing is really owned by Carl's. My California friends recognize the star logo when they eat at Hardee's here.

And we have Ground Round in Milwaukee. No shells on the floor, or big screen cartoons but still kid friendly. There are desserts that look like worms in pudding and cookie crumb dirt. Very popular with my kids.

I miss Chips, where you could get a bag with enough hamburgers fries and drinks to feed a family of four.

voguevixen
04-19-2001, 02:22 PM
Still alive and well in the SF Bay area:

Jack in the Box (duh)
Straw Hat Pizza
Godfather's Pizza
IHOP (just built a new one nearby, in fact)
A & W (a bit further down the coast -- and still some in the midwest, if memory serves.)
Foster's Freeze (quite a few)

There are still a few Long John Silvers, but they're getting tough to find. You can check their website, though.

Superdude...my parents live in New Albany. I'll look you up next time I'm out for a visit!

bup
04-19-2001, 02:31 PM
http://www.burgerchef.com/

Yeah, Burger Chef was great. They invented the fun meal,
and did at least as much to revolutionize serving food
fast as McDonald's.

A few Roy Rogers may still be around, but they're
doomed. It's no longer a franchise.

Superdude
04-19-2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by voguevixen
Superdude...my parents live in New Albany. I'll look you up next time I'm out for a visit!

Cool! Please do. By the way I figure it, you had to have been here, and been one of the lucky ones who got out. I can't figure that your parents would have come here voluntarily.

Superdude
04-19-2001, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by voguevixen

Cool! Please do. By the way I figure it, you had to have been here, and been one of the lucky ones who got out. I can't figure that your parents would have come here voluntarily.

RealityChuck
04-19-2001, 03:50 PM
No, CalMeecham, Needick's isn't Nathan's (the latter is still doing well). It was a local NYC chain that served short-order hamburgers and their orange drink. I used to eat at their branch in Penn Station when I was commuting to class.

Rue -- I'd assume Jersey Mike isn't the same as Mike's Subs, since the Albany, NY Mike never opened anything outside the area.

Gundy
04-19-2001, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by flodnak
I was going to say Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, but Google claims they're still around. They used to have fries cut in the weirdest shape... the flodsister used to use them to scoop up truly impressive amounts of ketchup, back when ketchup was one of her major food groups.

There is one Arthur Treacher's left in the Chicago area (or at least, it was there as recently as a couple of years ago) in Elgin.

Odieman
04-19-2001, 04:28 PM
Up here in Canada in the early seventies we had a small chain of restaurants called Dog n' Suds. They served mostly hot dogs and root beer, hence the name. They got wiped out by A+W , who are still strong in Canada (they re introduced the burger family last year), and of course McDonald's. I don't remember much about the food except it was pretty atrocious... The local Dog and Suds building sat empty for a few years and then they opened another restaurant that lasted a year or so. It closed and a third restaurant opened that served Mexican food. Unfortunately every stinking thing on the menu was deep fried, including the taco's :shudder:. I still have nightmares about that place. They finally realized that some locations are cursed and they tore down the building. Now all that's left is a bare concrete pad.

Keith

cher3
04-19-2001, 05:12 PM
I can verify the existence of at least one Long John Silver's in Pennsylvania (as of 3 years ago).

There are also A&Ws and Godfather's Pizzas in San Diego. Also a couple of blue-roofed IHOPS.

Odieman: Dog 'N Suds couldn't have been too small a chain, because there was at least one in Indianapolis (c. 1965).

Garsh, I'm getting old. I can remember when Steak and Shakes were real drive-ins.

sliv
04-19-2001, 05:48 PM
I can't believe no one's mention Doggy Diner yet! They used to have the best french fries. (I suspect now they were cooked in lard). Their logo was the giant smiling head of a Dachsund wearting a chef's hat. These things are now collector's items, and one has been made a sort of landmark here in SF. There used to be over twenty of these restaraunts. Truly a pity they're gone.

bughunter
04-19-2001, 06:14 PM
Foster's Freeze has teamed up with El Pollo Loco here in SoCal. There's still a standalone Foster's Freeze in Glendale, not too far from a friends house.

I ate at a A&W in Monmouth OR (W of Salem) last year...

Now, one thing I haven't seen in a LONG time is a Howard Johnson's. But then, I moved west in 1980.

And the last Hardee's I saw was in Boulder, CO circa 1988.

I stopped frequenting indoor malls, so I'm not sure, but I haven't seen an Orange Julius in a long time, either.

And what about Farrell's Ice Cream Parlors? Are they out of business?

Jeffro
04-19-2001, 08:59 PM
There used to be a chain in the central Ohio area called
Zantigos. It was a cheap Taco Bell, nothing cost more than 99 cents.

There was also another chain called G.D. Ritzys. They were a hamburger place and they had known for bad fries

Rax - rost beef

Sisters Chicken and biscuts - chicken

CalMeacham
04-19-2001, 10:00 PM
I've seen ONE Sister's Chicken and Biscuits. It was in Salt Lake City several years ago. Very different from the typical fried hicken, served with "homemade" veggies.

A lot, if not all, of the blue-roofed HoJos disappeared som time ago. They finally tore down the 24 hour one in Wellington Circle, Medford MA a couple of years ago. I notice that a lot of Ground Rounds went in where HoJos had been, which made me suspect that they were owned by the same folks. Bt now most of the Ground Rounds are gone, too....

Smeghead
04-19-2001, 10:23 PM
A&W was bought up by Pepsi, which also owns Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting. There's a combined A&W/KFC restaraunt near my house.

Hardees, as I understand it, was bought up by Carl's Jr. In some places, they kept the Hardee's name and started serving Carl's Jr. food. Other places they renamed it to Carl's or sold the buildings to McDonald's or Burger King.

rjung
04-19-2001, 10:32 PM
We used to have a lot of "Bob's Big Boy" running around here in southern California, but now the only time you see one is in an Austin Powers movie.
Hmmmm. Never knew that building just around the corner from my place was an Austin Powers movie. :)

Creaky
04-19-2001, 10:40 PM
Hey...

Does anybody remember Little Tavern Restaurants? Actually burger joints, in the style of 1930's diner/lunch counters. Chipped formica counters branded with cigarette burns, grimy swiveling stools with torn red leatherette seats, flyspecked plate glass windows. They had these little square, gray hamburgers on teeny little buns. The burgers went like this: little bun bottom, little meat square, greasy chopped onion mess, blob of mustard, lone dill pickle chip, and a little bun top. You could get a bag of 12 for about three bucks when I was a kid in Baltimore. I think the last Little Tavern closed about five years ago.

Man, those lilliputian death burgers were fine!

Juniper200
04-20-2001, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by cher3
[/b]Odieman: Dog 'N Suds couldn't have been too small a chain, because there was at least one in Indianapolis (c. 1965). [/b]
There's a Dog 'N' Suds in Terre Haute that was built within the last 5 years. It's down near Honey Creek Square on the way to Boot City, if that means anything to anyone. :)

Badtz Maru
04-20-2001, 01:22 AM
There are probably dozens of Sonics in Dallas, TX. I love 'em.

Dijon Warlock
04-20-2001, 01:32 AM
Locals in Iowa City:

Hardee's
Godfather's
Shakey's (used to be a cool pizza place with flourescent-keyed player piano, but now is a hogtrough of a buffet)
Long John Silver's
Wendy's
A new A&W just opened across the parking lot at work.
There also used to be a carhopped Dog-n-Suds in Washington, Iowa back in the sixties. Now it's the office for a building supply company. Loved their sign when I was little. The dog looked demented.

soulmurk
04-20-2001, 01:42 AM
It's not a restaurant, nor are they rare, but having lived out west for about 5 years now, I sure do miss Dunkin' Donuts. Man they have the best coffee.

Nary a one to be found in SoCal or up here in Spokane. One DD would drive 3/4 of these lame corner coffee shops out of business and give Starbucks a run for its money.

/sigh

Doug Bowe
04-20-2001, 02:08 AM
Lum's hot dogs steamed in beer.
They had an international beer selection before it was popular.

Minnie Pearl's Fried Chicken. Ate at one once. Just in time.

Philosophocles
04-20-2001, 03:48 AM
Burger Chef was bought by Hardee's in the early 80s, then Hardee's was bought by McDonald's. There are still some Hardee's around, but the Burger Chef name has been retired.

Also, there is Godfather's Pizza in Ohio. They have a restaurant in Chillicothe.

brad_d
04-20-2001, 04:46 AM
Shakey's Pizza. ::shudder:: I went to the one in Pasadena, CA a few years ago, and pretty much all I remember was thinking that the food sucked. I haven't been back.

Growing up in Dallas/Fort Worth, the local variant of Big Boy (http://bigboy.com/Home/home.html) was Kip's. I think it was known as Shoney's Big Boy in the Fairmont, WV area around the same time. According to their website, they only have locations now in nine states (http://bigboy.com/Home/Locations/locations.html).

Unless it closed fairly recently, there's a Steak and Ale (http://www.steakandale.com/) in Hurst, TX. Barring tricks of my memory, that is.

It appears that Grandy's (http://www.grandys.com) is still alive and kicking, as well. For a fast food joint, I found their chicken fried steak to be pretty good. Mmm.... ::wishes they existed in SoCal::

Philster
04-20-2001, 09:35 AM
We used to have these fast food places called McDonalds.

They used to have something called a Big Mac, which was kind of strange for a restaruant since their name was started with "Mc"...I always thought it should be a Big Mic sandwich. Like, where did they get the "Mac"? No wonder they went out of business.

And they had all these foods named "McThis" or "McThat". And they had all these HR Puff 'n' Stuff looking characters.

Very strange place.

Chance the Gardener
04-20-2001, 11:06 AM
I remember Burger Chef. We used to go there when we were kids. We often went to the Burger Chef on route 62 in my home town of Hermitage, Pennsylvania. Their Funmeal predated McDonald's Happy Meal by at least a couple years. Furthermore, I always found Burger Chef and Jeff to be kindly, reässuring characters, while Ronald McDonald always seemed somewhat hollow. But I digress.

The Burger Chef restaurant in Hermitage was converted to a Rax in the early 1980s. Rax eventually went belly-up, maybe around 1990? (Belly-up in Hermitage, at least.) After that, the Rax was converted to a mattress dealership. Currently it's some sort of evangelical church, sitting there where route 62 meets business route 62—a prime restaurant location.

Hermitage also had an A&W drive-in, but that went out of business in the 1980s, as well (Reaganomics did a number on my town.) Nearby Niles, Ohio, still has an operating A&W drive-in it, as does Carroll, Iowa (at least it did as of 1993.)

DoctorJ
04-20-2001, 11:48 AM
Superdude beat me to Druther's. It was the only real fast food-type place we had in my E. Kentucky one-horse town. They had the best cheapo fish n' chips platter I have had to this day. I think they were absorbed into Dairy Queen, which the one at home became. (BTW, Superdude, I'm a frequent visitor to Caesar's Indiana.)

My current home, Lexington, is the world headquarters of Long John Silver's, so we have plenty of them. In fact, one just remodeled to become a combined LJS/A&W, and another is a combined LJS/Arby's. I can't stand them, myself--their commercials always depict a satisfied customer biting into a piece of fish with a mighty "crunch", despite the fact that their fish has the consistency of a stack of wet paper towels.

We have two Sonics in town (my GF is a huge fan of their Cherry Limeaid) and several Hardees (which serves an OK breakfast biscuit, but that's about it). I also happen to know of a convenience store in Danville, KY that sells Godfather's Pizza.

Dr. J

Superdude
04-20-2001, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by DoctorJ
Superdude beat me to Druther's. It was the only real fast food-type place we had in my E. Kentucky one-horse town. They had the best cheapo fish n' chips platter I have had to this day. I think they were absorbed into Dairy Queen, which the one at home became. (BTW, Superdude, I'm a frequent visitor to Caesar's Indiana.)

My current home, Lexington, is the world headquarters of Long John Silver's, so we have plenty of them. In fact, one just remodeled to become a combined LJS/A&W, and another is a combined LJS/Arby's. I can't stand them, myself--their commercials always depict a satisfied customer biting into a piece of fish with a mighty "crunch", despite the fact that their fish has the consistency of a stack of wet paper towels.

Hey, DRJ...I myself end up in Lexington on occasion. Cool beaners that you go through here quite a lot! Not many people know about this neck of the woods.

Rue DeDay
04-20-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Jeffro

Yeah! Zantigos! Wolfing down a mess o' Cheeseritos, then going bowling! Then Taco Bell bought 'em out and you could get Cheeseritos at TB. Then only at SOME TB's. Then the sad day came when you couldn't get them at all.

Ukulele Ike
04-20-2001, 01:00 PM
I live in New York City.

We used to have Schrafft's, a chain of inexpensive cafeterias. And Chock Full O' Nuts, which served cream cheese sandwiches on raisin-nut bread. And the Automats, of course, owned by Horn & Hardart.

egkelly
04-20-2001, 01:13 PM
There is one HJ restaurant still in business-it is off RT 91 in Greenfield, MA-still serving watery rehydrated mashed potatos, and those famous (tasteless rubber-band like fried clam strips!). Actually, HJ served quite aceptable food-if you liked bland! Their best thing was the icecream-it was great! What a tale of woe-they were the first natinal chain of restarants-till a British conglomerate (believ it was Grand national) bought them out in the early 1980's-and they died fast!

CalMeacham
04-20-2001, 01:48 PM
Uke:

I remember the Horn and Hardart automats! I loved 'em when I went into the city. I still can't see how they made any economic sense, but it was fun to buy the food out of all those little coin-operated swinging doors.

As long as you're on the subject of New York City-based eateries (a subgenre in itself), are Tad's Steaks still around? David Letterman used to make fun of them, but the founder of Kyocera loved them when he lived in NYC.

voguevixen
04-20-2001, 03:09 PM
What sort of bums me out is that fast food restaurants used to all have a signature design, and they no longer do. Pizza Huts always used to look a certain way, Long John Silvers used to look a certain way, Taco Bells used to look a certain way. Now the bulidings are designed to complement their surroundings, or else have some sort of minimalist Photomat-type design. Every so often I'll drive through a section of a town that was bulit-up in the 50s or 60s and you can still see some of the buildings from that design period: the "old-school" Taco Bell with the Mission-style design and the Spanish tile roof, the LJS with the entrance on the left, the exit on the right, and the "dock" with those big ropes around it, etc. The most depressing thing is that some of these businesses are no longer around but the buildings still are, and you can't drive by that real-estate office without thinking "that used to be a Pizza Hut."

egkelly
04-20-2001, 04:07 PM
To my knowledge, there are NO LJS restaurants in new England. However, in wareham, MA (on cape Cod), there is a Long John Silver's "seafood lab". I had driven by it many times-it is rumored that inside, autopsies take place on the bodies of those who have died from eating at LJS restaurants!

bughunter
04-20-2001, 04:19 PM
There's a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor (http://farrellsicecreamparlour.com/) in San Diego! It claims to be the last one.

I fondly remember going to the one in St. Petersburg FL as a kid. I won several ribbons for singlehandedly consuming their "Pig's Trough" sundaes.

Who remebers their "Zoo Sundaes?" It's a multi-gallon bowl of assorted flavors of ice cream and toppings... enough to serve 10 people... and when they served one, they'd crank the siren and ring the bells and cart the sundae around the store past every table on a stretcher hauled by two waiters.

Once, I got to see a Zoo catapulted into the middle of a table of unsuspecting guests. Halfway around the store, something caused the waiter at the front of the stretcher to slip and fall, but the guy in back failed to stop, causing the stretcher to lift at the rear, casting the sundae airborne. It landed in the middle of a table of unsuspecting diners and splattered like an Ice Cream Explosion! For a radius of three tables in all directions, folks were covered with ice cream, syrup, nuts and whipped cream. The people at ground zero were NOT pleased. It was awesome! :D

I think I'm going to have to stock up on some insulin and take a Farrell's road trip to San Diego!

longhair75
04-21-2001, 09:53 AM
good morning friends,

three blocks from here (omaha, nebraska) is the national headquarters for godfather's pizza. willie theisen, the founder, sold the chain ten years ago for a rumored eight hundred million dollars. at that time there were about a thousand restaurants.

we had 18 hardees here until five years ago. 16 of them were owned by a holding company that was bought out by the holding company that owned 24 burger kings. they converted 6 of the hardees to burger kings and closed the rest. of the remaining two (corporately owned)1 just closed due to an inability to attract customers. the other is on shaky ground. the burger king holding company opens a new location about every 18 months.

a sonic opened here last fall, and serves possibly the worst fast food i have ever eaten. we had car hop service, and we were unable to finish the food. we disposed of it and drove off. the odor lingered in the car for days

long john silvers is thriving here with 11 locations.

longhair75
04-21-2001, 10:02 AM
friend philster posted:

They used to have something called a Big Mac, which was kind of strange for a restaruant since their name was started with "Mc"...I always thought it should be a Big Mic sandwich. Like, where did they get the "Mac"? No wonder they went out of business.

years ago, our town had a great burger place. it was called mac's drive in. they served a wonderful burger, called the "big mac"

when macdonalds introduced their big mac, the proprieter of mac's drive in sued, and got a huge out of court settlement. mac used the money to expand his place into a new building, with table service. the food was still pretty good.

mac passed away when i was in high school, and his children ran the place out of business in less than a year.

Darqangelle
04-21-2001, 10:38 AM
Canadian entry:

The Magic Pan it was a small chain of crepe joints...

duh-rooooooooooool!

AwSnappity
04-21-2001, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Odieman
Up here in Canada in the early seventies we had a small chain of restaurants called Dog n' Suds. They served mostly hot dogs and root beer, hence the name.

I remember Dog 'n Suds. We had on in Indiana (near Purdue University). IIRC, one could buy a gallon of root beer or something like that. I'm not sure what happened to it; we moved away 3 years ago.

Rax - rost beef

We always went to Rax when I was young. I would always get lemonade in an alligator-shaped cup. We have about 9 of those cups. I'm going to go fish one out of the cupboard; I'm feeling all nostalgic now.

dobbinaire
04-22-2001, 01:10 AM
Here in Paris:

Sonic
KFC
Long John Silver's

No longer have:

Grandy's - closed just two months ago
Wendys
Jack in the Box

Who remembers when Whataburger stores were A-frames,
and they served BIG square burgers?

Thankx for the sig handy! :D

dobbinaire
04-22-2001, 01:14 AM
I'm new at this...forgot something!!

Ace_Face
04-22-2001, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by xtnjohnson
Any Seattleites remember Herfy's?

I haven't been in Seattle long enough. But I do know that one of the major fast-food chains in Saudi Arabia, of all places, is also called Herfy's. Their logo is a goat's head. Their hamburgers (and I'm fairly sure they were beef, not goat) were actually pretty good.

blur
04-22-2001, 01:55 AM
Where I live in Connecticut, not far away from me there are 2 Ground Rounds, a few IHOPs (with more being built), a HoJo's and a Jersey Mikes. The only Bob's Big Boy I know of is on the New Jersey Turnpike.

Enola Straight
04-22-2001, 03:15 AM
Anyone know where a Bonanza is? They put out steaks like the fast food joints put out hamburgers

Neidhart
04-22-2001, 12:44 PM
More from northern VA:

Rustler Steak House, which became Sizzler circa 1982, then vanished several years later.

Mick's, which had locations in Fair Oaks and Springfield Malls. (The Fair Oaks space was later occupied by Miaro Bistro, which lasted about three months.)

stormy652
04-22-2001, 12:59 PM
Chicagoland area checking in. IHOP is alive and well, Shoneys has dropped off the face of the earth, Dog N Suds is still around, Tastee Freeze I have seen once or twice. I think Checkers is still here too.

Neidhart
04-22-2001, 01:54 PM
You'd better still have White Castles!

Without White Castles, there's really no reason to live.

Zenster
04-22-2001, 05:26 PM
Probably just a West coast thang, but there used to be these "Giant Orange" burger shacks along the freeway. Their trademark was the large orange ball shaped structure with covered outdoor seating around it. Mark's in San Jose, CA is one of the few operational sites left.

saepiroth
04-22-2001, 11:31 PM
ok,

I live in kansas city, kansas and i know big boy exists. there is one near my school, though i can't tell if it is open. i fear grease, and dont eat much fast food... but i CAN confirm the existance of white castle, one is across from my bank. they make pretty good fruit smoothies. in fact, white castle actually has ads on sattilite TV- a large guy gets out of a car, and an avalance of little containers follow him. then the Voice says somthing about their "30 burger for 10 bucks Big Sack meal". it... doesn't look very palatable to me, IMHO.
orange julius exists too- six or so of them in the "great mall of the great plains" (it's actual name). they make pretty good fruit smoothies.

elmwood
04-22-2001, 11:34 PM
Local chains in Buffalo, New York that are no more -- Henry's Hamburgers, Your Host, Lums, Carroll's, Deco, and White Tower. Locals still talk about Deco, whose last restaurant closed in 1980, as if it is still around today.

In Buffalo, chains tend to make their appearance about five to ten years after they've saturated the rest of the country, if they even show up. Chili's just opened their first outlet in the Buffalo area last year, and Taco Bell made their appearance in 1995. Don Pablo's is supposedly gone, as is Perkin's, and there are few Pizza Huts left. There aren't even any Church's Chicken outlets left in predominantly minority neighborhoods. There are lots of chain restaurants that are "EBB" -- Everywhere But Buffalo -- there's no China Coast, no Macaroni Grill, no Papa John's, no Hops; none of the "just one outlet in each major metro" chains like P.F. Chang's; and only a couple of Domino's; for just a few examples.

saepiroth
04-22-2001, 11:34 PM
ignore the "they make good fruit smoothies" after the white castle comment. i was copy-pasting my ideas into coherent order and forgot to delete that when i moved it. sorry.

astorian
04-22-2001, 11:36 PM
I'm feeling old now... nobody's mentioned Wetson's, which seemed to be as omnipresent as McDonald's in the late 60s, when my Dad would take us on lengthy car trips. They all seemed to vanish during the early 70s.

Incidentally, are there any more Nathan's franchises left, or just the big one in Coney Island?

elmwood
04-22-2001, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by saepiroth
ok,

I live in kansas city, kansas and i know big boy exists.

What's Winstead's? I've only seem them in KC. From the exterior, they look line new Art Deco style fast food restaurants that are a step up from McDonald's, but not quite like a Denny's -- something like Steak & Shake here in Florida.

Ringo
04-22-2001, 11:53 PM
One I'll miss was the Texas-based chain that lasted about 30 years and exploded in franchises in the 1970's: Hamburgers By Gourmet.

They had 21 burgers, including the Schnitzelburger and the old reliable #10 (which was the first cheddar and bacon burger I ran upon) as well as the #11 which was the bleu cheese and bacon burger. Scrumptityliumptious!

They started in the late '60s in Houston, and by the late '70s were all over the southwest. Fast fade until they got back down to one, two blocks from my home, that lasted until about a year and a half ago.

Disclosure: I worked for them in the early '70s and lived on Gourmet burgers for a bit.

Badtz Maru
04-23-2001, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by brad_d
Shakey's Pizza. ::shudder:: I went to the one in Pasadena, CA a few years ago, and pretty much all I remember was thinking that the food sucked. I haven't been back.

Growing up in Dallas/Fort Worth, the local variant of Big Boy (http://bigboy.com/Home/home.html) was Kip's. I think it was known as Shoney's Big Boy in the Fairmont, WV area around the same time. According to their website, they only have locations now in nine states (http://bigboy.com/Home/Locations/locations.html).

Unless it closed fairly recently, there's a Steak and Ale (http://www.steakandale.com/) in Hurst, TX. Barring tricks of my memory, that is.

It appears that Grandy's (http://www.grandys.com) is still alive and kicking, as well. For a fast food joint, I found their chicken fried steak to be pretty good. Mmm.... ::wishes they existed in SoCal::

I know that Big Boys are Kips as far north as Kansas. I haven't seen one in a while, though.

There are several Steak & Ales in Dallas, I can think of at least 3. We also still have Grandys, which I don't really care for (their breakfast bar is decent though).

In Dallas we have...

IHOP
Taco Cabana (one of my favorites)
Weinerschnitzels (only a few, but I kinda like 'em)
Sonic
Wendy's
Jack in the Box
Whataburger (eat there a lot because A. the burgers come with mustard by default B. they are almost all open 24 hours and C. they take credit cards)
Taco Bell
Taco Bueno
Denny's
Burger King
Pizza Inn
Pizza Hut
Papa Johns
Godfathers (I think)
Panchos
Boston Market
Chick-fil-A (sp?)
A&W (only one I know of is in a mall food court, though)
KFC
Church's
William's Chicken
Popeye's

I know I'm missing some...we have a good variety, though.

We don't have any Carl's Jr. or Del Taco, though. I ate at a Carl's Jr. in Oregon and was unimpressed - and it's kinda creepy being in a chain restaurant you have never heard of before, surreal almost...

screech-owl
04-23-2001, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by elmwood
...there's no China Coast...

China Coast was discontinued by Darden Restaurants (based in Orlando - home of Olive Garden and Red Lobster) about what, 6 years ago? It's been replaced by two new chain restaurants - Bahama Breeze (Caribbean-ish food and decor) and Smokey Bones (BBQ).

[Side note - yeah, it's Americanized Caribbean, but I will vouch that Bahama Breeze is one of my favorite corporate restauants - very yummy, in fact, I think I'll go there for dinner tonight [Jerk chicken with bowtie pasta and asparagus - mmmm!]

In Orlando, we seem to be losing the Johnny Carraba's (Italian) and have lost all Ryan's Steak Houses and Qunicy's Steak Houses over the past few years.

Has Steak and Ale gone out of business?

Badtz Maru
04-23-2001, 07:28 AM
Nope, there are several Steak & Ales in Dallas. We also have Ryan's Steak House, although those are fairly recent, first saw one about 5 or 6 years ago.

KneadToKnow
04-23-2001, 08:33 AM
Indeed it does! Thanks, brad_d!

CalMeacham
04-23-2001, 08:39 AM
Astorian wrote:

Incidentally, are there any more Nathan's franchises left, or just the big one in Coney Island?

Yes. The Nathan's franchise in Cambridge MA closed, but there's at least one in Auburn, MA.

Earlier, I confused Nathan's with Needick's. I hadn't seen the latter in years -- the stands that had a guy with a big Orange for a head as one symbol.

Neidhart
04-23-2001, 09:12 AM
I've heard of a chain named Hamburger Handout, which IMHO is a truly lousy name. Do they give the burgers out for free? Are they meant only for the homeless?

Hometownboy
04-23-2001, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by bughunter
There's a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor (http://farrellsicecreamparlour.com/) in San Diego! It claims to be the last one.

I fondly remember going to the one in St. Petersburg FL as a kid. I won several ribbons for singlehandedly consuming their "Pig's Trough" sundaes.

Who remebers their "Zoo Sundaes?" It's a multi-gallon bowl of assorted flavors of ice cream and toppings... enough to serve 10 people... and when they served one, they'd crank the siren and ring the bells and cart the sundae around the store past every table on a stretcher hauled by two waiters.

Once, I got to see a Zoo catapulted into the middle of a table of unsuspecting guests. Halfway around the store, something caused the waiter at the front of the stretcher to slip and fall, but the guy in back failed to stop, causing the stretcher to lift at the rear, casting the sundae airborne. It landed in the middle of a table of unsuspecting diners and splattered like an Ice Cream Explosion! For a radius of three tables in all directions, folks were covered with ice cream, syrup, nuts and whipped cream. The people at ground zero were NOT pleased. It was awesome! :D

I think I'm going to have to stock up on some insulin and take a Farrell's road trip to San Diego!

Great story! Founder Bob Farrell opened his first Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in Portland in 1963. Focusing on superior service and fun, he built the company to 55 outlets before selling to the Marriott Hotels chain in 1973. One of my earliest dates was a triple date with a buddy who had an older brother (18 at the time) who was trusted by our parents and the parents of the girls to drive the six of us to Portland from 60 miles away after a dance to have a celebratory ice cream and then drive back. It was a Very Big Deal at the time - the late 60's.

One of the best Farrell's was near the University of Oregon campus in Eugene, which still exists, only as the Pearl St. Ice Cream Parlour. They still feature the Pig's Trough and Ice Cream Volcano. Yum!

Superdude
04-23-2001, 11:11 AM
Chick-fil-A (sp?)

We have those in the Louisville, KY area, too. Around here you can ONLY find them in malls, like in their food courts. Which freaked me and a friend of mine out last time we went to Atlanta. They have the free-standing restaraunts there, and we had never seen one before...

CalMeacham
04-23-2001, 11:24 AM
Chick-Fil-A ("Chick(en) Filet" -- get it?) is alive and well. There's one at Northshore Mall in Peabody, MA and one at Paramus Mall in NJ. They're always closed on Sundays, so it's the one dark spot in the Northshore Food Court on Sunday. The owner of the chain does it on religious or persoinal principles. At Christmas time he gave out mini-adaptations from C.S. Lewis' Narnia series that was pretty well done, and FAR from the usual mall fast-food fare. I have to admire his principles. I like the food, too, although Pepper Mill isn't fond of it.

rackensack
04-23-2001, 02:05 PM
A few from Arkansas:

There used to be lots of Minuteman burger shops all over Arkansas, up until sometime in the late 70s. I know the one in Fayetteville was open at least a while after we moved there in 1976, and the one in Conway was open even longer (though it had been a donut place for a few years by the time I started college in Conway in 1982). Revolutionary-war-themed graphics, a fairly wide selection of different combinations of condiments, each numbered for easy ordering. Being picky about what's on my burgers, I never cared much for pre-ordained selections, so I avoided it except when in groups.

I don't recall seeing them anywhere else, but Mr. Burger had stores in several locations around the Fayetteville area. They may still be around, for all I know -- I haven't paid much attention on my recent visits.

I too have fond memories of Shakey's Pizza, though I'd no doubt be appalled were I to find one still open and eat there today. Still, the one in North Little Rock (at the I-30/I-40 interchange, hard by the National Guard Armory) was my first exposure to pizza as a kid. We used to stop there occasionally on our way home from our regular trips to my little sister's dentist in Little Rock. I remember watching the cooks spin the pizza crusts, and for some reason I associate them with banjos.

There was also a chicken chain that had several locations around central Arkansas during my college years whose claim to distinction was that they fried their chicken in peanut oil -- that, and some distinctive way of cutting up the birds so that the number of undesirable pieces was minimized. While the chicken was acceptable, my chief memory is of the 8-foot-tall fiberglass chicken mounted on a trailer that they used to take around to each of the restaurants and leave parked there for a few days at a time. On at least one visit to Conway, the big bird got "borrowed" by Hendrix students and deposited in the plaza area in front of the library. I'm having trouble calling up the name of the chain, but the phrase "Chicken Country" comes to mind.

OneDollarWilliam
04-23-2001, 02:45 PM
I heard recenly that in the area of Atlanta we are going to be loosing all of our Shoney's resturants. I sure will miss the breakfast bar. We've got one Sonic in the city, and I visit it as much as possible. The place that we don't have anymore that I REALLY miss is Bojangles Chicken they all disapeared after I turned 11 or 12. Another one that disapeared from the area is Pizza Inn they had CiCi's beat six ways from Sunday in terms of Pizza bar goodness.

On the topic of Big Boys and my own refrence to Shoney's here's how it worked: Origionaly Big Boy was created by some add company and sold to several differnt companies as a mascot (Frische's, Bob's, even Shoney's back then, and half a dozen others.) The companies didn't find this out until later and it started a war of law suits that led to several of the chains closing and some dropping the Big Boy thing alltogether. The remaining resturants eventually resolved the problem, and created the Chains that stand today. This is the Big Boy Story as my Father (a former Frische's employe.)told it to me; it may be WILDY innaccurate.

Also some that we have that people have mentioned not having are Bonanza Steakhouse and Snappy Tomato Pizza(another place that's infinitely better than CiCi's).

lurkernomore
04-23-2001, 02:49 PM
Wasn't Nedick's with 1 e? Remember their hotdogs...

Nathan's is ceratinly alive and well in NY. Can think of several in and around the city, and there's one in the Orlando airport.

White Castle is even expanding. They have one on 5th. They never had one in Manhattan that I could remember. (There was a White Tower on 14th, IIRC..but it's gone)

seawitch
04-23-2001, 03:38 PM
Darqangelle, I was a little surprised to hear you mention the Magic Pan as a small Canadian chain - we had three of them (that I recall) here in Southern California, but I never saw them anywhere else. Sounds like the marketing staff put them out of business....

Fionn
04-23-2001, 06:57 PM
I don't know how far they ever extended, but there used to be a couple of Sizzlin' Quick hamburger places in the corner of Houston suburbia that I call home. They were famous for 39 cent hamburgers: meat, bun, ketchup, no substitutions. My mom was addicted to their frozen lemonade. They both closed pretty quickly.

rowrrbazzle
04-23-2001, 07:24 PM
The Magic Pan also used to have places here in Chicago.

For Sunday brunch, crepes Benedict or maple butter crepes. At other times, an appetizer of potage St. Germain with a dollop of sour cream or brandy, followed by crepes St. Jacques (my introduction to scallops), and for dessert strawberry crepes with whipped cream. Sigh.

There was also one in the Hillsdale shopping center in San Mateo, CA in the early 80s.

elmwood
04-23-2001, 10:05 PM
[slightly OT]

I was just thinking about strange New Mexico burger chains -- Burger Time in Las Cruces (something like six or seven outlets in a relatively small city!), and aren't any Blakes's outlets outside of New Mexico (http://www.lotaburger.com]Blake's Lotsburger[/url]throughout the state. There [url="http://www.lotaburger.com/info.html) -- an urban legend tells that the owner believes "there's some things that should just be ours," or something like that, and thus refuses to consider expanding beyone the state line.

Las Cruces also has some chains that are predominantly local to Texas, with just a few outlets across the border in New Mexico -- Whataburger and Grandy's among them. Cruces must be the final resting ground of many chains -- there's still a Long John Silver's and Weinerschnitzel, and Minnie Pearl's supposedly survived there into the late '70s.

Anyone elver hear of "Pizza Pro's" (yes, there really is a misplaced apostrophe in the name), a Domino's clone from the El Paso area?

For some reason, most old Red Barn outlets I've seen throughout the country have been converted to florist's shops.

What's the deal with the "stick a maple leaf somewhere in the logo" rule of almost every U.S. based restaurant and retail chain operating in Canada, anyhow? It's not as if McDonald's in Russia ever bore a hammer and sickle in the logo, or a Burger King/Hungry Jack's in Australia pasted kangaroos or koala bears on their signs.

Katisha
04-23-2001, 11:40 PM
There's something deliciously ironic about the mental image of a McDonald's logo with a hammer and sickle on it... ;)

bump
04-23-2001, 11:42 PM

They just opened a Steak & Ale in Plano, and there's also one in Arlington about 2 blocks from Six Flags.

There's also a Grandy's right off of 635 somewhere- maybe Carrollton or Dallas.

Zenster
04-24-2001, 01:47 AM
Has no one mentioned Mel's Drive In? It was my first introduction to the legendary "carhop". Didn't A&W carhops used to roller skate? I seem to remember that. Their "Teen Burger" was definitely one of the first bacon cheese burgers on the market.

City Gent
04-24-2001, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Zenster
Has no one mentioned Mel's Drive In? It was my first introduction to the legendary "carhop".

There's at least one "Mels" in San Francisco (in the touristy district near the Tenderloin)

screech-owl
04-24-2001, 06:55 AM
Hot 'n' Now - you want it, you got it - our way
(catsup, pickle, mustard, no special orders).

They were in town for about, oh, 10 minutes.

Darqangelle
04-24-2001, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by seawitch
Darqangelle, I was a little surprised to hear you mention the Magic Pan as a small Canadian chain - we had three of them (that I recall) here in Southern California, but I never saw them anywhere else. Sounds like the marketing staff put them out of business....

Hmm, well, like you, I only saw them in Ontario and assumed they were the only ones because I never saw them anywhere else... again, about 2 or 3 of them..

Whatta ko-inky-dink!

Rue DeDay
04-24-2001, 07:15 AM
The Little Woman grew up in The-Middle-Of-Nowhere, Indiana, and big doin's was going to Left-Of-Nowhere and stopping at Clancy's. Just a burger place, but the only burger place before you hit Indianapolis.

The "Clancy" of Clancy's was a "Keystone" type cop, and the restaurant was a couple blocks away from the State Police Post. (And the prison.)(And the other way was the high school)

We were back that way not too long ago, and Clancy's was gone. But they got a new Pizza Hut and Hardee's (I think) in it's place. So there's still Corporate Grease in Left-Of-Nowhere, Indiana.

Fenris
04-24-2001, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Johnny L.A.
I can't believe Jack-In-The-Box has not been mentioned yet.
Jack-In-The-Box is alive and well.

Technically yes, the name of the place is the same, but other than the names and locations, the two resturaunts have nothing in common: the current Jack-in-the-Box is a Denny's wannabe. It serves gyros, and chicken-caesar-salads, etc. The "real" JitB was a burger-n-fries joint.

The real JitB is a fond of memory. <sigh>. I *loved* their Jacksteak sammiches: A club-sandwich shaped hamburger bun with a "jacksteak" on it (something between a hamburger and a club-steak). On the "steak" there was some sort of sweet/smokey bbq sauce, a pound or two of shredded lettuce and fried onion rings. Yum.

Fenris

Dolores Reborn
04-24-2001, 09:26 AM
Fenris - As long as they serve those 2 for a buck tacos, there will always be a Jack in the Box. Those are great...

I thought of a couple more - Champ's and JoJo's.

vanilla
04-24-2001, 10:53 AM
I swear I am not making this up, but does anyone besdies me remember hearing about that fast food place many years ago, (somewhere in Kentucky maybe) called Hop Scotch? It was to feature fast food rabbits. I am serious.
Obviously, it didn't make it "Mommy! I can't eat this dead bunny! it might be Buggs!!"

don Jaime
04-24-2001, 12:54 PM
I wish Burger Street was still around. Good burgers at a drive-thru-only photomat.

Here in Oklahoma, we saw one of the grisliest ends to a restaurant chain: Sirloin Stockade. I can still remember seeing their fiberglass Herefords everywhere. They lasted until about 1982, when robbers hit one in OKC towards closing, walked customers and staff into the freezer, and started a massacre. You couldn't hear the news for months without some reference to the Sirloin Stockade Killings, to the point that's what everyone thought whenever they heard the name. They began to fold not long after; the last I saw was in Muskogee, 1989. The rest were absorbed into Western Sizzlin', and you occasionally see the Herefords at salvage yards.

Taco Tico lives! There's one where my brother lives. Next visit, we're going out to lunch.

OneDollarWilliam
04-24-2001, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure if they are the same ones but there are several Champ's burgers around Atlanta.

Munch
04-24-2001, 02:34 PM

What's Winstead's? I've only seem them in KC. From the exterior, they look line new Art Deco style fast food restaurants that are a step up from McDonald's, but not quite like a Denny's -- something like Steak & Shake here in Florida.

They are much like a Steak & Shake. Winstead's was a privately owned diner in KC, and they did so well, they opened up about 6 across the city. Lessee, there's one in the Plaza, there's one on 95th and I-435, there's one at I-35 and Shawnee Mission Parkway, there's probably one out in Raytown, and I have a vague rememberance of one out by the airport. Well, that's five, with only a confirmed 3.

What I haven't seen is a Black Eyed Pea. I miss that place.

Zappo
04-24-2001, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by flodnak

Oh yeah, I remember Treacher's. Much better than Long John Silver's. If they're still around, they aren't in the Mid-Atlantic states anymore.

I also have to cast my lot with the person who mentioned Roy Rogers. . .well, the *real* Roy's, anyway. Pappy Parker's Fried Chicken was sooo much better than the Colonel's. The roast beef sandwiches were fantastic, and don't forget the Double-"R"-Bar (a hamburger with ham and cheese in a toasted bun).

Host Mariott owns the rights to Roy's nowadays, and there are "Roy Rogers" branded eating stations in a lot of highway travel plazas. There's at least one on the PA Turnpike and also on the Atlantic City Expressway. The chicken is passable and the roast beef is OK, but there aren't any Double-"R"-Bars anymore.

Yer pal,

Zappo

Zappo
04-24-2001, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by enolancooper
Anyone know where a Bonanza is? They put out steaks like the fast food joints put out hamburgers

Sure! There's one in Carlisle, PA on Walnut Bottom Road near I-81. I think there's one in Lancaster, PA too.

Yer pal,

Zappo

Tommy the Cat
04-24-2001, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Connor
[QUOTE]What I haven't seen is a Black Eyed Pea. I miss that place.

There are plenty here in Dallas. I've also seen them in Knoxville and Wichita.

Olentzero
04-24-2001, 04:02 PM
Oh man, you know you're getting old when these kind of threads jog your memory instead of making you say to yourself "What a buncha weirdo fossils!"

The one restaurant chain I haven't seen here yet is Brigham's. At least I believe it was a chain, we only went to one in Boston maybe once or twice back in the early 70s, during my toddlerhood. Anyone else corroborate this?

How about the 99 restaurant chain? I know I saw more than one when I was a child... logo was a big number 99 inside a horseshoe.

IHOP is still alive and kicking here in MD and NoVA. There's one here in Arlington, and one roundabout Silver Spring MD.

The Magic Pan had at least one franchise in Boston - the family went with a small group of friends for brunch one fine Sunday back in the late 70s. Seems like it got around more than people knew!

There is a sit-down HoJos on Route 202 in Delaware (the name Newark comes to mind). We pass it every time we go visit Mrs O's sister in Pennsylvania. Of course, given the debate that Delaware doesn't exist, we might posit that HoJo's does indeed no longer exist. :)

Believe it or not, there was a Lum's in Manchester NH back in the early to mid-70s. For some reason my one experience there stuck with me for a good long time; even now if I drive along that street I can identify the building where it used to be. I think I got a sip of beer there or something.

Hey, who posted from Iowa City? Is the Fries BBQ & Grill still there on South Dubuque?

Oh, that reminds me - at least as recently as 1999 there was an Arthur Treacher's in Washington DC, just south of 14th and 'U' Streets NW. A tiny little take-out place, sandwiched in between a Taco Bell and a KFC. Actually had his face on it, too. I'll truck up there one day on my lunch hour and give you an update.

False_God
04-24-2001, 04:36 PM
Olentzero, I'm fairly certain the Treacher's in DC is dead, but I DO know of one other in the DC area. Jeff Davis Highway (AKA Route 1) after Old Town, on the right as you're heading out of the city, before you get to the Krispy Kreme on Rt. 1. No idea if they're any good, but they're there.

Fleetwood
04-24-2001, 10:32 PM
Local chains in Buffalo, New York that are no more -- Henry's Hamburgers, Your Host, Lums, Carroll's, Deco, and White Tower. Locals still talk about Deco, whose last restaurant closed in 1980, as if it is still around today.

How about Mighty Taco? Used to scarf down those burritos when I worked there in the early nineties!

Fleetwood
04-24-2001, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Olentzero
The one restaurant chain I haven't seen here yet is Brigham's. At least I believe it was a chain, we only went to one in Boston maybe once or twice back in the early 70s, during my toddlerhood. Anyone else corroborate this?

How about the 99 restaurant chain? I know I saw more than one when I was a child... logo was a big number 99 inside a horseshoe.

Brighams and the 99 are alive and well in Eastern Ma. In fact the 99 has been expanding over the last few years.

I remember a burger chain called Howdy Beefburgers with Howdy Doody as the mascot. Haven't seen it in years. Baileys was a local ice craem chain that blew Brighams out of the water.

bump
04-24-2001, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by don Jaime
I wish [b]Burger Street was still around. Good burgers at a drive-thru-only photomat.

They(or another chain by the same name) is alive and well here in D/FW. I see 'em all over the place.

mblackwell
04-25-2001, 12:07 AM
What about Hamburger Station? I remember going to one about 10 years ago and it seemed almost abandoned.

Jersey Mikes recently opened two stores in Columbus, they put subway to shame.

Anyone else heard of B&K? They were similar to A&W and thier logo was a goofyesque dog serving a rootbeer. I remember there being two of them near Akron, as well as an A&W. One B&K was out in the middle of nowhere and had a mini golf course. All of them had car service only.

elmwood
04-25-2001, 12:22 AM
[/B][/QUOTE]

How about Mighty Taco? Used to scarf down those burritos when I worked there in the early nineties! [/B][/QUOTE]

Mighty Taco is much alive and well (http://www.mightytaco.com). It's still a Buffalo-only chain -- really, mostly a Northtowns chain, with 16 locations.

Dum de dum dum (http://www.wgrf.com/mighty_commercials.php3) ...

scampering gremlin
04-25-2001, 01:33 AM
Sambo's - The original restaurant in Santa Barbara, CA does a brisk business. It's right on the ocean near downtown. Somewhat updated menu, but keeps the character of the old chain.

Bob's Big Boy - Locations include Burbank and Glendale, CA. The menu has hardly changed in 20 years.

Numero Uno Pizza - Foothill Blvd. in Pasadena, Ca. Still pretty good.

Shakey's Pizza - Inhabits older shopping malls around California. Not recommended.

Jack in the Box - Still basically a burger-and-fries affair, but adds menu features as fast food fashions change. Ubiquitous in Southern California.

Badtz Maru
04-25-2001, 06:48 AM
I THINK there is a Burger Street in Dallas, though maybe I'm thinking of something else - but it IS a drive-through only tiny restaurant (not quite Photomat size, but small). They serve weird burgers.

vanilla
04-25-2001, 09:41 AM
The Big Boys tw o blocks from me just closed.
Last year, Long John Silver's closed too. I used to love getting the chicken planks, then eating those tiny little balls of batter that came with them.
Anyone remember York Steak House?

City Gent
04-25-2001, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by vanilla

Anyone remember York Steak House?

Do I remember it? How could I forget the searing abdominal cramps? :(

Philster
04-26-2001, 10:06 AM
"Rib it"

Anyone?

Olentzero
04-26-2001, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Connor
[QUOTE]What I haven't seen is a Black Eyed Pea. I miss that place.

There is a restaurant by that name out in Fairfax, VA. I don't know if it's part of the chain or not. I suspect probably so, since the corporation behind it probably would sue them for infringement.

poohpah chalupa
04-26-2001, 11:15 AM
SPOOFE-isn't there still a Bob's Big Boy in L.A. on Wilshire?

Anyone interested in Dog 'n' Suds, they have a website somewhere...I ordered a T-shirt and some root beer from them online (sorry, no link...)

Due to the fact that Wienerschnitzel's Chili Dogs tastes like vomit covering rolled-up sweat socks on a bun, I miss Pup 'n' Taco too...at least you had a choice and Wienershitzel wouldn't be content to sit back on their hands and serve up vile concoctions like they do.

I miss Pizza Inn, which was here in Southern Cali for a few minutes when we first moved here, then closed down in a hurry...actually mediocre pizza, but I loved it.

mmmmmmmmmm...missing it badly badly now...:(

Mockingbird
04-26-2001, 02:13 PM
When I was a kid, there was a chain that I don't think was Wisconsin only called Mars. It was a hamburger place with a space man as its mascot. Anyone remember it?

rjung
04-26-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by poohpah chalupa
Yep -- from Wilshire and La Brea, go east for three or four blocks. Across the street from an office building that used to be a Carnations restaurant, actually.

rjung
04-26-2001, 04:04 PM
Yep -- from Wilshire and La Brea, go east for three or four blocks. Across the street from an office building that used to be a Carnations restaurant, actually.

Fionn
04-26-2001, 11:03 PM
I miss Pizza Inn, which was here in Southern Cali for a few minutes when we first moved here, then closed down in a hurry...actually mediocre pizza, but I loved it.

mmmmmmmmmm...missing it badly badly now...:(

There was a Pizza Inn in my hometown, near Houston. I had always thought it was a stand-alone place, which it might still have been. It closed down my senior year in high school-which was a shame. It had been the place we went to after winning games when I played basketball and softball.

Badtz Maru
04-27-2001, 04:46 AM
We have a Pizza Inn a couple of miles from where I live. It's a fairly common chain in Dallas.

Ike Witt
04-27-2001, 10:51 AM
After reading through this thread I have a few questions.

1) Does Sizzler still exist? I haven't seen one in about 15 years.
2) Does Orange Julius still exist? I don't spend too much time in malls.
3) Hi Opal.
4) On a semi-related note, does anybody remember The Pop Shoppe? I remember going to the place as a kid in Calgary. They made their own sodas and sold them in bulk, by the case, and you had to return the empties and the carrying crate. I also remember the soda having those glow in the dark colours.

Weirddave
04-27-2001, 09:04 PM
Oh, that reminds me - at least as recently as 1999 there was an Arthur Treacher's in Washington DC, just south of 14th and 'U' Streets NW. A tiny little take-out place, sandwiched in between a Taco Bell and a KFC. Actually had his face on it, too. I'll truck up there one day on my lunch hour and give you an update.

Olent,

Last I checked, ( and it's been a while ) there was an Arthur Treacher's in the Suitland area of DC too. The last two Mayrland Long John Silver's I knew about were in Westminister, and off Pennsylvania Ave. about 1 mile inside the Capitol Beltway. The Westminister one turned into an Arby's in December, ( which is my favorite roast beef ) but I dunno if the DC one is still kicking. I happen to have a weird thing for their chicken planks. Buy a 2 piece meal, and add-a-piece 3 more, with tons of ketchup. Yum!

City Gent
04-28-2001, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by adam yax
After reading through this thread I have a few questions.

1) Does Sizzler still exist? I haven't seen one in about 15 years.
2) Does Orange Julius still exist? I don't spend too much time in malls.

Lots of Sizzlers in the San Francisco area.

There was an Orange Julius as of mid-1999 in the Westland Mall in Columbus, Ohio.

MysterEcks
04-29-2001, 03:00 PM
The Red Barn served burgers? I only remember them selling chicken.

Perkins was converted to Denny's in a lot of places, but there are still some here in Central PA.

I know of at least one remaining Tastee Freeze--in Cuba, New York off NY-17 (which is now Interstate 88, or something like that.)

As of a couple years ago there was a Nathan's in a sevice plaza off the New York Thruway--I'm thinking the last one heading west before the Williamsville/Buffalo exit, though I may be mistaken on that.

There are plenty of Long John Silvers around here. I personally like them a great deal. (I am very open about having no class.)

Does anybody remember Mister Donut? They were around Central PA in the 1980s. They may have just been regional.

Or how 'bout Holiday House? Back in the days before the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes diversified the restaurants in the service plazas HoJo held most of the concessions, but every so often there was a Holiday House. (When I was a kid, the rule was that we ate at HoJos and only stopped at Holiday Houses to go to the bathroom.) Again, they may have just been regional.

Rilchiam
04-30-2001, 02:19 AM
There's a Bob's Big Boy on Riverside in Burbank.

I thought Sambo's changed their name to Denny's. Which would be ironic, if true.

I miss White Tower. There was one in downtown Pittsburgh and it closed for no apparent reason.

Tad's sucked.

There was a Nedick's on the observation level in the Empire State building. I got a souvenir glass, which unfortunately broke a few years later.

"Well, I pawned my Smith Corona/And I went to meet my man/He hangs out down on Alvarado Street/By the Pioneer Chicken stand" ---Carmelita, by Warren Zevon

It breaks my heart to hear that Chock Full 'O' Nuts is also no more.

Anyone remember Carvel?

Hometownboy
04-30-2001, 09:43 AM
Gosh, I almost forgot Spudnut a chain from the early to mid 50's featuring ::drum roll culminating in rim shot:: doughnuts made with potato flour! They were quite widespread, even in small towns (including my hometown, population about 4,000 at the time) decades before the major chains. They also went away fairly early in most places. Certainly by the early 60s they were history in our neck of the woods.

Apparently there still are some surviving today. here's a picture & story (http://members.tripod.com/~krookmcsmile/SpudnutShop.html). Note the art deco sign on the right.

And for people who want to reconstruct the taste in the privacy of their own home, can do so here (http://thedonutfactory.homestead.com/spudnutdonuts.html).

Anyone have a source for the funky Spudnut logo with the happy little doughnuts with smiles and arms & legs?

vanilla
04-30-2001, 09:50 AM
Theres an Orange Julius in a western suburban mall here in Ohio.
But its cojoined with a Dairy Queen, so theres been a merger.
O.J.'s taste just like creamsicles!

occ
04-30-2001, 10:11 AM
Oh man, you know you're getting old when these kind of threads jog your memory instead of making you say to yourself "What a buncha weirdo fossils!"

I remember going to a Brigham's in Winchester, MA (right outside of Boston) around 1983 or so. No idea whether its still there or not. Wasn't it a kind of ice-creamey place? (I was pretty young at the time).

Olentzero
04-30-2001, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by MysterEcks
Does anybody remember Mister Donut? They were around Central PA in the 1980s. They may have just been regional.

I can attest to one franchise in Keene NH, at least through the mid-80s, and one in Nashua NH until the very early 90s. The Nashua one finally closed out and became another donut shop, though I don't remember exactly what the name was.

BobSchroeck
04-30-2001, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by RealityChuck
Steak and Ale, an upscale chain restaurant. Actually, the food there was pretty good, but it seems to have vanished. Maybe it was before its time.

There's one alive and well in NJ, about 8 miles north of me on Route 1...

Is Long John Silver's still around?

Yeah... I know of one off route 78/22 past Allentown in Pennsylvania.

-- Bob

lurkernomore
04-30-2001, 02:02 PM
Rilch,
Carvel is still around and Tad's still sucks.

I miss the Nedick's in Penn and Herald Sq.

Dijon Warlock
04-30-2001, 08:31 PM
Hey, who posted from Iowa City? Is the Fries BBQ & Grill still there on South Dubuque? I do, and you've got me wondering. I don't get downtown much these days, but what I can tell you at this point is that they aren't in the phonebook, yellow pages, or AddSheet (weekly newsprint coupon publication). Other than that, I'll have to do an expedition downtown and take a looksee. I never ate there, but used to drink after work at the Deadwood across the street years ago. I'll get myself down there in the next day or two and report back. :)

urban1
04-30-2001, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Evnglion

There are Sonic 'Drive Ins' here in Colorado. Real Drive-Ins where you eat in your car (remember A&W).

Bob.

urban1
04-30-2001, 09:35 PM
[b]SPOOFE[/b [b] {Der] Wienerschnitzel's

Converted to 'The Hamburger Stand' here in Colorado. They still sell the Wienerschnitzel hot dogs though.

Bob.

urban1
04-30-2001, 09:51 PM
Minnie Pearl Fried Chicken
Kentucky Roast Beef (owned by the Colonel)
Rockybilt (a Denver tradition, White Castle-like)

For the record, Sambo, wasn't an Indian boy. The theme for the restaurant came from the nursery rhyme (?) 'Little Black Sambo'.

The board is sure slow tonight.

Bob.

Olentzero
05-01-2001, 07:19 AM
Dijon Warlock - don't kill yourself getting down there. I worked at the place during the one semester I was at UIowa for whatever the minimum wage was ten years ago. IIRC the address was 5 South Dubuque.

CalMeacham
05-01-2001, 08:19 AM
For the record, Sambo, wasn't an Indian boy. The theme for the restaurant came from the nursery rhyme (?) 'Little Black Sambo'.

Actually, Sambo is Indian in the original book. "Black" was the way the British referred to the dark-skinned (but non-negriod) Indians. Have a look at the novels of M.M. Kaye or at the writings of Sir Richard Burton. In the U.S. however, the word quickly became attached to a racial stereotype and slur. Why, I don't know. The same kind of distortion happened to Uncle Tom of "Uncle Tom's Cabin". Read the book -- Uncle Tom was no "Uncle Tom". (that is, he was certainly black, but not subservient and obsequious).

Lyllyan
05-01-2001, 08:26 AM
Has Ollie's Trolley been mentioned? It was a burger place in a little street car. The fries were absolutely terrific, if not a little pricey, as compared to McD's.

False_God
05-01-2001, 09:25 AM
There's an Ollie's Trolley in Ballston/Courthouse here in Northern VA. Good burgers and the grease can't be improved upon.

Olentzero
05-01-2001, 09:45 AM
There's an Ollie's Trolley right near where I work, at 14th & 'L' streets. In a building, not a streetcar - but by God, their fries are the BEST!

Lyllyan
05-01-2001, 10:13 AM
So, umm, Olentzero and False_God, think you good send me some?

BunnyGirl
05-01-2001, 10:32 AM
I haven't finished reading this thread but I'm gonna respond now before I forget stuff:

Dog-n-Suds. Had one here in Lansing until a few years ago. I think it's an A&W now, which we have plenty of also.
Shakey's Pizza. I used to go to Shakey's when I lived in Japan, for heaven's sake. First place I ever had shrimp and corn on the same pizza. Hey, it was good!
Big Boy. Still have a few of them around Michigan.
Hardee's. An abomination of a restaurant. We had one in the small town I lived in near Nashville, TN, with lots more of them in Nashville itself. Horrible food, always cold, always slow even if you were the only one in line.
IHOP. We've got one here.
Sonic. They are all over Tennessee. I wish they'd get up here! I miss their Cherry Limeade and chocolate malts.

Olentzero
05-01-2001, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Lyllyan
So, umm, Olentzero and False_God, think you good send me some?

What's it worth to you? evil grin

Lyllyan
05-01-2001, 11:56 AM
Well, I sure would like some.

If you know what I mean.......

;)

Rilchiam
05-01-2001, 09:03 PM
Just parenthetically, I thought "Dog 'n' Suds" was a highly unappetizing name: who wants (soap)suds anywhere near their food?

vanilla
05-02-2001, 09:59 AM
or a drunk dog..

Qadgop the Mercotan
05-02-2001, 08:22 PM
How about Bill Knapp's in southern Michigan and northern Indiana and Ohio? I loved those places! Comfort food at its best? Any left out there? Last time I went thru South Bend Indiana, the one there was gone.

Or [b]Stuckey's[b/]? Are they out there anywhere?

Neidhart
05-26-2001, 09:01 PM
There was a Mr. Donut on Maple Avenue in Vienna until a few years ago, when they tore down the building and built a Taco Bell.

Just off Fairfax Circle is an Arthur Treachers, a block from the IHOP.

I ate at the Fairfax Black-eyed Pea twice, and they took all the good stuff off the menu by the time I went back. :(

In the Oakton Shopping Center, there's a free-standing restaurant that was Hunter's, then Caffe Parma, then Petitbon's (as in the former Redskins coach), then Hunter's again (with a different logo), now they're converting it into a Famous Dave's BBQ.

Tornado Siren
05-26-2001, 09:44 PM
How can all of you have forgotten the A-framed paradise that brought you hotdogs in all flavors? The Weinerschnitzel will long live in my culinary dreams. A chili dog so greasy you could lubricate 10 Chevy Chevettes with it. If they still exist..well..I would be shocked.

Rilchiam
05-26-2001, 09:53 PM
They do. There's one on Victory and Lankershim here in North Hollywood. There was one in Lakewood, Ohio.

August West
05-27-2001, 10:43 AM
I was wondering about Orange julius, haven't seen one in years, but they made a damn good chili dog.

What about 1 Potato 2, where you would buy a baked potato and then head for the toppings bar? Are they still around?

Shakey's is alive in WI, but the only thing worth eating is the Mojo potatoes

Ann Onimous
05-27-2001, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by DoctorJ
Superdude beat me to Druther's. It was the only real fast food-type place we had in my E. Kentucky one-horse town. They had the best cheapo fish n' chips platter I have had to this day. I think they were absorbed into Dairy Queen, which the one at home became.

We have two Sonics in town (my GF is a huge fan of their Cherry Limeaid) and several Hardees (which serves an OK breakfast biscuit, but that's about it). I also happen to know of a convenience store in Danville, KY that sells Godfather's Pizza.

Dr. J

Sprry for the long quote, but darnit, Dr. J, you have in one single post mentioned almost everything I miss about Kentucky, in particular Lexington and Danville. We have several Sonics here in Jackson, MS: also an A&W. But we have to drive 90 minutes south to get to the only Long John's in the state. I am hopelessly hooked on their chicken and hush puppies, and Captain D's just doesn't seem to cut it.

I remember Rax when it was on the corner of Euclid and South Limestone, where the Fazoli's is now. Great chocolate chip milk shakes. I was very sad when it went under.

And the Druthers' used to be Burger Queen. They had great burgers back then. Their mascot, Queenie Bee, was what I really remember. Then Druther's took over, and I agree on the fish. They had wonderful fish.

The one place I really miss about Lexington is Tolly Ho. Great place to go in the middle of the night. Nice greasy spoon.

And White Castles. I know they still exist, just not here. We have Krystals, which are bad imitations, IMHO.

And you have to pay almost $10 shipping to get a case of Ale-8-One down here. God, I wish I could afford it. I get a case about once a year. Love their website.

The restaurants down here are okay, but nowhere near as good as we had in KY.

omni-not
05-27-2001, 08:21 PM
Sambo's - closed due to a perception of racism.

You gotta love the irony...

omni-not
05-27-2001, 09:15 PM
A&W was bought up by Pepsi, which also owns Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting.

Not to nitpick, but...

According to their website, A&W was bought by Sagittarius Acquisitions in 1994 and

Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC are owned by Tricon Global Restaurants (stock symbol: YUM - I'm not making this up).

omni-not
05-27-2001, 09:39 PM
Here you go...

http://www.ponderosasteakhouses.com/scripts/LOCATION.ASP

Mauvaise
05-27-2001, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by SPOOFE
We used to have a lot of "Bob's Big Boy" running around here in southern California, but now the only time you see one is in an Austin Powers movie. Which is sad... I used to love that place.

They don't have any here in Phoenix that I've found, but they still had them in the suburbs of Detroit (I lived there last year). Good salad bar.

Originally posted by Evnglion

There are Sonic Drive-Thru's all over Phoenix. They have awesome fresh fruit slushies.

Originally posted by Johnny L.A.
Pioneer Chicken. Are they still around? They had bigger pieces of chicken than KFC (back when KFC had "side breasts" and "centre breasts" instead of the whole piece) and I liked their yellow gravy better than KFC's brown gravy.

This is the one I was going to mention. Pioneer was way better than KFC. I used to eat there at least once a month when I was growing up. There is still one in LA (or there was a couple years ago), but I can't remember where exactly, sorry.

Originally posted by bughunter
And what about Farrell's Ice Cream Parlors? Are they out of business?

I was just telling a friend about this place the other week. McDonalds now advertises their shakes as "extra thick". Feh... you haven't had a thick shake until you've had a Farrell's shake. I remember practically bursting veins in my head trying to drink their shakes through a straw.

DSYoungEsq
05-27-2001, 10:26 PM
For the record, Sambo, wasn't an Indian boy. The theme for the restaurant came from the nursery rhyme (?) 'Little Black Sambo'Thus showing that the ignorance that caused the chain so much trouble is alive and well today.

Sambo is an Indian boy (Indian = From India). The English, who ruled India for quite a while, referred to any ethnic minority with dark skin as 'black' (you might even note that there are "black" Irish - swarthy skinned and dark haired individuals). You can get a copy of the original story by Helen Bannerman, Little Black Sambo from the official web site for the only remaining Sambos Restaurant in the United States, located in Santa Barbara, California (go to Sambos Restaurant (http://www.sambos.com)).

One might note that there are no tigers in Africa, which quite thoroughly ends the mix-up of the term "black" with the term "African" or "Negro". Nevertheless, in combination with certain allegations made as the company spread nationwide in the 60's about disparate treatment, the two terms were quite thoroughly mixed and confused by the press and by those with an axe to grind. This controversy, combined with some bad financial strategies, doomed the chain.

We had a thread on this not too long ago, if anyone wants to dig it out.

Fionn
05-27-2001, 10:34 PM
I completely forgot about a chain, possibly a tiny local one, called Fajita Junction until I drove past its old building this week. Does anyone else remember this? I remember at least two, one in Pasadena, TX, and one in my hometown of Deer Park. They had great fajitas. I don't remember exactly when they existed, but I would guess the late eighties or the very early nineties. According to my older brother, who may not have been an incredibly reliable source of information, said the chain closed down because of a shooting in one of the restaurants.

DSYoungEsq
05-27-2001, 10:52 PM
Big Boy - As I noted in the thread Hellmann's Mayonaise and the Rockies (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=11763), Big Boy restaurants were always a franchised concept, the original idea of the "Big Boy Burger" being developed by Bob Wian, the Bob of "Bob's Big Boy". Other franchise holders were Frisch's and Kip's, and, if I recall correctly, Shoney's.

Hardee's[b] - Owned now by CKE Restaurants, Inc., the current version of what started out as Carl's Jr. Restaurants, then became Carl Karcher Enterprises. I dug up research on this merger in another thread - anyone wanting the details can wrestle the search engine to the ground. ;)

[b]Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour - I did a search on this and found out that one still exists in San Diego for certain, and that you can get Yellow Page listings for about 10 others in various locations. It appears that the original owner, Bob Farrell, is now a motivational speaker, having apparently given up the business of ice cream.

Lady Ice
05-27-2001, 11:02 PM
There was a The Pop Shoppe down here in Michigan when I was a kid. My grandfather used to take me there all the time. They had a roller converyor you put the crate on so that you could go through and pick out whatever flavors you wanted. It went out of business in '80, the year my grandfather died. (Coincidence?)

Also, I miss the counter at Woolworths. The last one here closed down about 8 years ago.

Long John Silvers, White Castle, IHOP, A&W, Orange Julius and Dunkin Donuts are still alive here in Lansing MI. The last Big Boy in town was just recently replaced by a pharmacy.

Tuckerfan
05-28-2001, 02:22 AM

There was also another chain called G.D. Ritzys. They were a hamburger place and they had known for bad fries

Rax - rost beef

Sisters Chicken and biscuts - chicken

Ah, yes! These bring back memories! There was also Borden's which was owned by the dairy company in Ohio. Don't remember much about the food, except that it was kind of like a McDonald's/Burger Chef/White Castle place. There used to be an Arthur Treater's in Columbus. Don't know if it's still there or not. Do remember that they had donated a bunch of tables to my high school, so I spent my formative years sitting at fast food tables while in school, pining over this or that female. Anybody know if they ever rebuilt the Tiki place in Columbus that got flattened a year or so ago? Only ate there once or twice, but it was really cool. Is Little Caeser's Pizza still around? I'm probably the only human on the planet that liked them and they've all disappeared from around here. In Columbus, there was also Jolly Roger Donuts that later became Jolly Pirate or vise versa. Anyway, under their original name they were good, then they changed names and sucked. Any Rally's still around? They had good burgers, but tended to be undercooked in this area.

There also used to be the Whistle Pop Shop, which was a place where you could get different colored and flavored softdrinks. They went belly up when I was very little. Still miss 'em, though.

05-28-2001, 02:33 PM
Can anyone in Norfolk, Virginia, confirm there is still a Lum's on Military Highway just north of Virginia Beach Boulevard?

Almost had an auto accident in Nashville when I saw this sign:

Mahalia Jackson Fried Chicken, It's Glorifried!

Don't think it's still around.

hardygrrl
05-28-2001, 03:17 PM
There is an A & W with carport serice in Freeport Illinois-just off of Route 20 if memory serves.

In Elgin-we still have a Checker's but I give it another six months before it closes.

Gundy-where was the Arthur Treacher's in Elgin? I don't remember one ever being here.

And another great chain restaurant that I'm wondering about...

Taco John's. Great authentic-well as authentic as a chain can get-mexican food. Blows Taco Bell out of the water. I know of three-one in Rockford Il,one at Spring Hill Mall in West Dundee and one in Woodruff WI-now closed :(

MsRobyn
05-28-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by AcidKid
Can anyone in Norfolk, Virginia, confirm there is still a Lum's on Military Highway just north of Virginia Beach Boulevard?

I can't confirm if it's still there (my last visit was in 1995 or so), but that particular Lum's was the hangout of choice for the meetings-after-the-meetings because the local AA clubhouse was up the street. I've got many, many happy memories of drinking coffee and spilling my guts to my sponsor. (We used to call it "Slums")

BTW, there's a wonderful (if a bit juvenile) book called The Complete Junk Food Book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0070365016/qid=991080370/sr=1-38/ref=sc_b_38/002-6945860-3198459) by Michael Lasky that was current in the 70s and offers critiques on the many fast-food chains that litter our collective consciousness.

::MsRobyn ambles off into the sunset, singing "Junk Food Junkie" and dreaming of Farrell's birthday parties past::

Robin

Neidhart
05-28-2001, 07:06 PM
I vaguely remember Lum's from the early seventies, though I never ate there.

The closest one was on Route 7, in the strip mall which then boasted Zayre and Dart Drug.

After Lum's closed, a restaurant called Mr. Mug's moved in; that didn't last long, and a First Virginia Bank branch occupies the building now.

elmwood
05-28-2001, 08:14 PM
In Orlando, there seems to be the remnants of an old KFC ripoff in the form of several Maryland Fried Chicken restaurants. The signs and buildings all seem to have been unchanged from the 1960s.

I would imagine that somewhere in the United States, there's probably an "Arkansas Fried Chicken" or "Georgia Fried Chicken" restaurant along some roadside.

Dijon Warlock
05-28-2001, 08:52 PM
Hey, who posted from Iowa City? Is the Fries BBQ & Grill still there on South Dubuque?Boy, how's THIS for punctuality? :rolleyes: Fries is no more. There's a pizza place there now.

Dijon (who evidently doesn't get downtown as often as he thought)

rjung
05-29-2001, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Tornado Siren
How can all of you have forgotten the A-framed paradise that brought you hotdogs in all flavors? The Weinerschnitzel will long live in my culinary dreams.
Still lots of 'em down here in Southern California. Love their chili dogs!

Olentzero
05-29-2001, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Dijon Warlock
Fries is no more. There's a pizza place there now.

Such is life in a college town. Plenty changes in 11 years!

(Not that it was good BBQ, anyway.)

BobSchroeck
05-29-2001, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Tuckerfan
Is Little Caeser's Pizza still around? I'm probably the only human on the planet that liked them and they've all disappeared from around here.
Oh, sure... there're two in North Brunswick, NJ -- one on Georges Road, and one on Finnegan's Lane. I rather liked their pies, if I didn't think of them as the same beast as real pizzeria product.

-- Bob

City Gent
05-30-2001, 01:30 AM
In Orlando, there seems to be the remnants of an old KFC ripoff in the form of several Maryland Fried Chicken restaurants. The signs and buildings all seem to have been unchanged from the 1960s.

I would imagine that somewhere in the United States, there's probably an "Arkansas Fried Chicken" or "Georgia Fried Chicken" restaurant along some roadside.

I was in London UK in 1999 and saw several "Tennessee Fried Chicken" franchises. Sign kind of looked the same as KFC.

By the way, can I just say that this is my best-replied thread at 184 posts and counting. I'm so proud. I also hate fast food with every fiber of my being; how's that for irony?

Wendell Wagner
05-30-2001, 09:07 AM
I remember seeing a Tennessee Fried Chicken in England while living there (1987-1990). It appeared that Kentucky Fried Chicken had decided to drop some of its franchisees and told them that they could continue to run their restaurants as chicken places if they wanted to as long as they picked a new name. These places decided to use the nearest name they could think of.

Olentzero
05-30-2001, 10:03 AM

That's nothing. In Arlington VA along Columbia Pike, we have a little roadside stand called Kantouri Fried Chicken.

God knows who, what, or where Kantouri is, but it deserved a brief mention.

tmac6695
04-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Has anyone heard of Drummer Boy they servered burgers and honey dipped fried chicken

Wendell Wagner
04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
A search on "Drummer Boy" and "honey-dipped chicken" produces one reference:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/junction-city-ks/TM2UCVPLUNPS9GI4L

It was in Junction City, Kansas. Do you have any reason to think that it was a chain restaurant, tmac6695?

Wendell Wagner
04-21-2011, 11:41 PM
elmwood writes:

> In Orlando, there seems to be the remnants of an old KFC ripoff in the form of
> several Maryland Fried Chicken restaurants.

In fact, it appears that it's not a rip-off of KFC. First, there's a traditional recipe called Chicken Maryland, Maryland Chicken, Chicken a la Maryland, Maryland Fried Chicken, and probably several other things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Maryland

Oddly, I've heard the term Chicken Maryland more outside the U.S. than in the U.S. In fact, I can definitely tell you that most people in Maryland don't know what the term means.

There's also a small restaurant chain called Maryland Fried Chicken:

http://www.marylandfriedchicken.com/

It's not clear if it makes the same dish as what's usually referred to as Chicken Maryland.

Eyebrows 0f Doom
04-22-2011, 02:10 AM

Yeah, I've seen those here in New York City. I think there's one on 34th St.

Paul in Qatar
04-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Zombie Thread! Brains!

Dereknocue67
04-22-2011, 04:46 AM
I haven't seen a George's Greasy Gonads in quite some time now. They also served a pretty good bowl of Pussy and Dumplings soup.

Czarcasm
04-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Closing zombie thread.