PDA

View Full Version : Rosebud was Citizen Kane's ... ARRRGGGHH!!! [spoilers]

masonite
05-19-2001, 04:44 PM
[Citizen Kane spoiler alert]

When I was a little kid, I had a whole bunch of Peanuts comic strip paperbacks. One strip featured Lucy spoiling Citizen Kane for Linus, watching the movie on TV, by casually remarking, "Rosebud was his sled" as she walked out of the room.

Ho ho, ha ha, it is to laugh. But of course the phrase stuck in my mind until I saw the movie years later. Drat that Schultz (and rest his soul).

[/Citizen Kane spoiler alert]

So, if yet another spoiler thread might be tolerated, tell me your experiences having famous movies spoiled for you.

Agrippina
05-19-2001, 05:56 PM
I never really get spoiled with movies, because I'm always asking for the plot twists and what happens. It helps the anticipation for me. But there was one time where I was spoiled and it ruined the movie for me (the only time) and it was for Fight Club. I was reading an entertainment magazine and it said, right there, "Don't read ahead if you don't want it spoiled for you." I read ahead, thinking, "Who cares if I know? It won't ruin the movie for me, knowing the twists never do ruin it." Well, it did ruin it. And I'm sure if I knew the twist to The Sixth Sense it would have been ruined for me.

DAVEW0071
05-19-2001, 06:16 PM
Even though I knew Rosebud was the sled, it didn't spoil the movie for me, because there is so much depth and artistry in Citizen Kane I could appreciate what it was doing on the way to that final revelation.

On the other hand, I overheard a co-worker giving away the jolt at the end of The Sixth Sense and, even though I enjoyed the movie, I think I would have enjoyed it even more to get surprised. I'll never know if I'd have figured it out on my own. I mean, if you know, the clues seem incredibly obvious. It's well done, but knowing before you've ever seen it takes away some of the impact. I found myself admiring how well the clues were masked, and saying, "yeah, that would fool someone", rather than just staying with the story, whether I was fooled or not.

Biggirl
05-19-2001, 06:17 PM
I sat through the first half of The Crying Game telling my friend. . .[spoiler alert!!)

"That's a guy."

Little Nemo
05-20-2001, 12:21 AM
Isn't there a statute of limitations on spoiler alerts? I wouldn't tell someone the ending of Casablanca if I knew they were sitting down to see the movie for the first time, but I wouldn't hesitate to mention it if it came up in a conversation without worrying that I was spoiling the surprise ending for anyone. I figure that after ten years or so, you can assume that anyone who cares about a movie will have seen it.

masonite
05-20-2001, 01:12 AM
Yes, but new generations are always growing up and seeing these movies for the first time!

I was just at a movie tonight when the knucklehead 2 rows behind me whispered "I bet the gal's involved somehow." Well, of course she was. I would have figured it out in another 2 minutes, but it would have been more fun doing so on my own.

So BigGirl, hope you were keeping your voice REALLY low! :D I had that one figured out on my own, but I was not 100% sure until that moment when there is no more doubt.

DRY
05-20-2001, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Biggirl
I sat through the first half of The Crying Game telling my friend. . .[spoiler alert!!)

"That's a guy."

I didn't even see the movie. There was no point after a colleague told me "I saw The Crying Game and wonder if I'm a latent homosexual now."

Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

I'll never forget watching "Soylent Green" in my junior high school English class and having the idiot in front of me (who must have seen the movie previously, because he picked the exact right time to spoil the secret) yell:

"Oh, my, god! Soylent Green is people!" :mad:

Smeghead
05-20-2001, 02:43 AM
Spoiler isn't exactly the right word with a movie as bad as Armageddon, but when we were walking into that movie, the girl I was with turned to me and said, for no reason at all, "by the way, Bruce Willis dies in the end." Gee, THANKS!!

Of course, I've been the bastard as well. We got tickets to see Phantom Menace the first day - no camping required. Anyway, as we were driving away afterwards, I leaned out of the window and yelled to the crowd, "Darth Maul dies!!" I still feel bad about that one.

SPOOFE
05-20-2001, 02:48 AM
Five words, people: "Luke, I am your father."

Redboss
05-20-2001, 02:58 AM
When I was a li'l tyke (9 or so) my parents went to see Alfred Hitchock's "Psycho". They loved it and since there was lots of talk about it in the press and at school I asked my mother what happened. I was, of course, too young to be admitted to the theatre.

**spoiler alert**

She was a very good mother in many ways, and this was one. She told me the story, quite in what detail I can't remember, but when it came to the climactic scene in the fruit cellar, she actually acted it out moment by moment for me.

Vera Miles approaching the chair, the chair swinging around, the hand hitting the light bulb, the eery lighting effect that created, and everything else. Even the "I wouldn't hurt a fly" line, and the car and the skull.

Wasn't she a great mum? Of course it did mean that the end of the film never came as a surprise when I finally saw the movie. She had been incredibly accurate, and I marvel at it to this day.

Of course A. Hitchcock would have loved this story, and would have loved it that whenever I hear that "scree... scree... scree..." music, I think of - My Mother

Redbates

handy
05-20-2001, 10:23 AM
"Rosebud was his sled" may be in that flick, however, 'Rosebud' was not his sled in reality, but a pet name he gave for his mistress's private parts.

I suggest you watch the making of Citizen kane instead, its another video, I think that it's called "RKO280" which is the name of the studio that made CK.

I guess that's a new spoiler for ya?

Biggirl
05-20-2001, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Biggirl

"That's a guy."

I didn't actually "know" Jaye Davidson was a guy. I'd never seen the movie before. But those hands, that neck. . .. Still, I was just as surprised as anyone in the theater when his secret was revealed.

Not as surprised as my friend was. He couldn't contend, like all the other guys I know who saw the movie, that he knew all along. (What is it about guys and their fragile sense of masculinity?)

Still, that movie was full of surprises. I was absolutely shocked at Forest Whitaker's death.

Jonathan43
05-20-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by handy
"Rosebud was his sled" may be in that flick, however, 'Rosebud' was not his sled in reality, but a pet name he gave for his mistress's private parts.

This needs a bit more explanation - "Citizen Kane" caused a huge controversy when first released because the central character was clearly modelled on media mogul William Randolph Hearst. In fact, Hearst was so enraged by the picture he came damn close to getting it withdrawn and all the prints destroyed. One of the reasons the great tycoon may have been so annoyed was the decision to name the sled after Hearst's pet name for his mistress's (Marion Davies) private parts......

KneadToKnow
05-20-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Little Nemo
Isn't there a statute of limitations on spoiler alerts?
I think there is a difference between movies like Citizen Kane and Casablanca, which have so much going for them artistically that they stand up to repeated watching and discussion, and movies like The Crying Game and Basic Instinct, which from what I understand will simply go down in history as having twist endings (well, OK, maybe Basic Instinct will go down in history for two things :)).

Now, I should say up front that I haven't seen The Crying Game. But of the times it's been brought up in my presence, easily 9 times out of 10 what is mentioned about it is "the ending." Big whoop. I'd much rather talk about the use of water as a symbol in Casablanca or the idea of privacy in Citizen Kane than to debate whether or not getting turned on by Dil makes one a latent homosexual.

But basically, my take on this is that for movies which, like an over-the-hill stripper who shows her body more and more grudgingly with each passing performance, rely entirely on their secrets for their artistry can never be "outed," out of fairness to the under-achievement of their makers.

Great movies, though, bear revelation well, for it is only in their entirety can they be fully appreciated. I would, in fact, submit that as a test for a great film. Do you want to see it again, talk about it at length, analyze it, even if you know how it ends?

Dr_Paprika
05-20-2001, 06:52 PM
I'm with Nemo on this one. Boo frigging hoo that you were told about this element of popular culture sixty years after the release date. Knowing Rosebud is the sled doesn't ruin a good movie, not like the Crying Game where it's most of the plot.

ITR champion
05-21-2001, 02:29 AM
I was at a party at a friend's house watching The Usual Suspects for the first time and some guy who was drunk walked in a just started explaining the ending (we were about halfway through at the time).

Originally posted by Smeghead
Spoiler isn't exactly the right word with a movie as bad as Armageddon, but when we were walking into that movie, the girl I was with turned to me and said, for no reason at all, "by the way, Bruce Willis dies in the end."
Gee, THANKS!! ;) I never had any interest in seeing that movie, but now I know the ending. Oh, well.

ITR champion
05-21-2001, 02:30 AM
Oh, I just remembered one other one. I knew the ending to Planet of the Apes because a friend explained it to me when that scene came up in Spaceballs.

FairyChatMom
05-21-2001, 07:55 AM
I'd heard the twist to The Sixth Sense before I saw it, so I watched it differently, but I still enjoyed it. Still, I prefer to get hit with the twist - I LOVED No Way Out - and I continue to love it, even tho I know who Yuri is. I usually avoid reading reviews or discussing a movie i want to see just in case some idiot ruins it for me.

Along similar lines, I hate having a book ruined for me. I recall a conversation with a friend in high school about a novel her class had already read and my class had just begun. She asked "Did you get to the part where he kills the dog?" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGHHH!! Uh, no, I hadn't. Some friend she was... <sigh>

gobear
05-21-2001, 08:10 AM
The twist in The Sixth Sense was painfully obvious from about the middle of the movie (when the doc and the mom are talking); I find it hard to believe that anyone was blindsided by the big revelation.

Not too long ago, I saw Along Came A Spider, the newest Morgan Freeman detective flick, with a really gorgeous guy. During the movie, he kept leaning over to whisper comments like, "She's going to betray him." He kept doing this through the whole freakin' movie. Needless to say, that was our only date. Why are all the cute ones schmucks?

Johnny Angel
05-21-2001, 05:37 PM
For some movies, just knowing that there's a gimmick ending is enough to give it away, e.g. The Sixth Sense. The copy I saw had a teaser in the beginning about how after the movie there's an explanation about how the suprise ending was pulled off.

Cervaise
05-21-2001, 06:54 PM
I take issue with the notion that the twist ending of The Crying Game is "most of the movie." Yeah, it's a rather major reversal, so that's what most people talk about, but Neil Jordan is generally a smarter filmmaker than that (that idiotic Annette Bening serial killer / psychic thing notwithstanding); he wouldn't do the movie simply to screw with the audience's head. To a lesser extent, you can say the same about The Sixth Sense -- the second time through, it's a rather touching examination of loss and forgiveness.

Speaking of which, I had seen it and enjoyed it in the cinema, and was trying to convince my wife to see it. "It isn't that scary," I said. I almost had her convinced, and then we saw an episode of something -- can't remember what; "Daily Show," "Saturday Night Live," whatever -- where Nathan Lane did a series of take-offs on scenes from the movie. Finally, in the last one, he turned to the camera and brayed, "And at the end, he's a ghost! Who knew?" and slapped his forehead comically. My wife turned to me and said, "Really?" and I stalked off, royally pissed.She asked "Did you get to the part where he kills the dog?"I actually do this to mess with people, except I make up plot twists that aren't actually in the book or movie or whatever. "Have you gotten to the part where Samwise steals the ring and kills Frodo?" :DFor some movies, just knowing that there's a gimmick ending is enough to give it awayGenerally, yes, but the recent Memento is a big exception. I knew in advance there'd be a mindblower of a climax (and because the movie's still in release, don't anybody actuall give it away here, either), and I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out -- but I literally had no clue until it actually unfolded.

CalMeacham
05-22-2001, 07:19 AM
I've always wanted to make a parody in which the camera tracks in over Xanadu, in through the window, up into Charles Foster Kane's bedroom, up onto the bed, close in on Kane's lips, and he suddenly says:

Flexible Flyer

And the movie ends right there.

Unfortunately, even fewer kids today would get the joke (how many years has it been since Flexible Flyer sold a sled?) than have seen Citizen Kane.

DAVEW0071
05-23-2001, 06:37 AM
goboy said:The twist in The Sixth Sense was painfully obvious from about the middle of the movie (when the doc and the mom are talking)
Am I missing something? What scene where the doc and the mom are talking? The doc talks "at" other characters throughout the film, and there is often the appearance of other characters being aware of him (such as when he and the mom are sitting in the living room when the kid comes home from school. They're sitting there "looking at" each other, and it seems as though they've been waiting together, perhaps chatting, but they never exchange words and the mother never acknowledges him) In actuality Willis only has interactive dialogue with the boy. IIRC, that's one of the "clues" that he's dead. Only the kid can see him and talk to him.

The Devil's Grandmother
05-23-2001, 05:23 PM
I think Goboy is talking about the other scene with the mom and a doctor. When she takes the boy to the hospital and they think she’s been beating him. The mom and the emergency room doctor talk for almost a minute while Wilis’s character paces in the background. I thought it was odd that he wasn’t speaking up during that scene, ut the ending still surprised me.

Sir Rhosis
05-23-2001, 11:25 PM
With a movie like "The Sixth Sense," I believe you have two distinct camps. Science Fiction/mystery/Shaggy Dog-loving fans like myself, who have read in these genres for over thirty years, who is used to the masters like Charles Beaumont and Richard Matheson and Frederic Brown and Robert Sheckley and (second-hand) Rod Serling, etc., etc., etc. Compared to these guys Shamylan (sp.) is a punk kid who ought to know better than to try to pull that old chestnut. Sorry, but it was painfully obvious from the BANG of the gun to me. The other camp are folks whose literary tastes do not run to this type of material.

And I'm not saying that I'm smarter, faster in any way other than the fact that I'm well-read in this niche of storytelling.

"No Way Out" got me though, sucked me right in, and fooled me. We all get taken, I just wish it was more often. Sometimes I lose sight of movies sitting there trying to out-think them.

Sir Rhosis

Smeghead
05-24-2001, 01:33 AM
To continue the hijack -

When I went to see Sixth Sense, I had no idea that there was a surprise ending. All I had heard was that there was a scary movie with a good ending. Consequently, I was floored when it was revealed. I had no idea what was coming. And it was a great experience, I have to say.

BTW, thank you to the girl who went with me for NOT giving it away!

Sir Rhosis
05-24-2001, 01:40 AM
Forgot the one that surprised me the most--"Fallen"--now that was well done--and what a great final line (of narration), and with three superb actors like Denzel Washington, John Goodman and Donald Sutherland, even I will turn off my trick-ending radar and enjoy the movie.

Sir

masonite
05-24-2001, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by ITR champion
Oh, I just remembered one other one. I knew the ending to Planet of the Apes because a friend explained it to me when that scene came up in Spaceballs.

The kids today can get it off the Simpsons - Troy McClure in "Planet of the Apes: The Musical"

Oh no! I was wrong!
It was earth all along!
Now you've finally made a monkey of me!

Fern Forest
05-24-2001, 05:32 AM
Madame Bovary spoiler

I'm a great fool for spoilers. It just doesn't dawn on me. In French Lit as Film class I was talking to guy and we had both finished Madame Bovary and I asked him what he though when Emma swallowed the arsenic. Several people in the class went "WHAT?!?!" um .. uh .. um .. uh

Then there's all those Cristmas and birthday times. "Hey, what happened to the rubber Duckies?"

Although on the reverse I knew the ending of 6th Sense and Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green. I got to watch Memento in a Film Festival before it came out so nobody was talking about it yet. But in general I think that trailers give away too much. I like to go into a movie cold. Which is why I usually go to a film on opening day.

Tuckerfan
05-24-2001, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by masonite
Originally posted by ITR champion

The kids today can get it off the Simpsons - Troy McClure in "Planet of the Apes: The Musical"

Oh no! I was wrong!
It was earth all along!
Now you've finally made a monkey of me!

You forgot the episode where Homer gets to ride on the space shuttle and at the press conference where he's shown to the media says: "I just hope they don't send me to that horrible planet of the apes. Wait a minute! That was the Earth! Damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

Edwin North
12-11-2011, 09:58 AM
well more my son after seeing the recent Rise of the Planet of the Apes said to me that he was really wished he didn't know the ending of the original Planet of the Apes. And i have to agree. I saw the movie as a young teen and that iconic moment when Heston jumps off the horse and you are looking down at he and Nova through some twisted hunk of metal and he screaming "you did it! You finally did it" then we pull back and see half buried in the beach the statue of liberty...my god I don't think any movie ending ever hit me as hard as that one did.. I feel bad that he had to watch it knowing from some tv show where the ending was revealed

Simplicio
12-11-2011, 10:23 AM
well more my son after seeing the recent Rise of the Planet of the Apes said to me that he was really wished he didn't know the ending of the original Planet of the Apes. And i have to agree. I saw the movie as a young teen and that iconic moment when Heston jumps off the horse and you are looking down at he and Nova through some twisted hunk of metal and he screaming "you did it! You finally did it" then we pull back and see half buried in the beach the statue of liberty...my god I don't think any movie ending ever hit me as hard as that one did.. I feel bad that he had to watch it knowing from some tv show where the ending was revealed

This is actually the subject of the worst spoiler I've ever seen. When the lame Tim Burton Planet of the Apes movie came out, they re-released a new version of the original film on DVD. The cover-art on the DVD case had a big picture of the destroyed statue of liberty. They spoiled the end of the movie on the DVD case! They mind as well put the Skywalker family tree on the cover of Episode IV.

The second worst was Sum of all Fears. It wasn't a very good movie in anycase, but I think it would've been at least a decent movie if they didn't reveal what would've been a pretty surprising and shocking plot point in the trailer.

AuntiePam
12-11-2011, 10:49 AM
simplicio, the DVD box for Hancock also spoils the movie. What are they thinking?

Ellen Cherry
12-11-2011, 11:21 AM
This is a quite old thread, but still a good discussion. I'm moving it to Cafe Society and adding a spoiler warning. :p

Colibri
12-11-2011, 11:49 AM
On an episode of The Office, Michael Scott, distressed over the death of a bird, has a bereavement session where he asks everyone to tell something about the death of someone close.

Pam tells the storyline of Million Dollar Baby as if it were someone she knew. Since I hadn't seen it yet, it blew the ending for me.

luv2draw
12-11-2011, 12:29 PM
When I was a li'l tyke (9 or so) my parents went to see Alfred Hitchock's "Psycho". They loved it and since there was lots of talk about it in the press and at school I asked my mother what happened. I was, of course, too young to be admitted to the theatre.

Redbates

Odd, my mother took me to see it in the theater when I was 12. No problem getting in the theater; there weren't the ratings like they have today. :D

luv2draw
12-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I usually spoil the movies for myself. I guess the "surprise" ending early on. :(

randwill
12-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I never got to know whether or not the twist of The Sixth Sense would have fooled me or not. Nathan Lane spoiled it for me on Letterman while the film was still playing in first run. Bastard!

Baker
12-11-2011, 12:44 PM
A review I read of Close Encounters of the Third Kind spoiled the destination for the landing of the spaceship. I'd been to that place, and would have liked to figure out the spot for myself. In hindsight the clues were pretty obvious, but still.

Anamorphic
12-11-2011, 01:04 PM
[Citizen Kane spoiler alert]
When I was a little kid, I had a whole bunch of Peanuts comic strip paperbacks. One strip featured Lucy spoiling Citizen Kane for Linus, watching the movie on TV, by casually remarking, "Rosebud was his sled" as she walked out of the room.

Ho ho, ha ha, it is to laugh. But of course the phrase stuck in my mind until I saw the movie years later. Drat that Schultz (and rest his soul).

[/Citizen Kane spoiler alert] .Funny thing is, Shultz also spoiled the ending of Citizen Kane for me, but it wasn't that same strip. It was another one where Snoopy had a sled, and Charlie Brown looked at and noticed the sled was named Rosebud. I didn't get the joke as a kid, but it stuck in my mind, and when I finally saw Citizen Kane well afterwards, it made me realize quickly what Rosebud was.

Curse you, Sparky! Thankfully though, Citizen Kane is still an incredibly enjoyable film, even if you know the 'twist'.

mcgato
12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Avoidance of spoiler story: I'm in a high school class that was called "Utopia" where we were reading books about utopias and (mostly) dystopias. The book that we were working on was "Brave New World," which I had read before but was reading again.

During class, the teacher called out K in the back as to why he wasn't reading anything. He said that he had finished the book. She asked how it ended. He said that the Indian (or was it Savage) had on steel toe boots and was acting like a compass. Me, the teacher, and I think one other person laughed out loud. No one else had a clue what that was all about.
At the end, the Indian (Savage) hangs himself, and the last paragraph is:
Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south-west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east. …

cochrane
12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
This is actually the subject of the worst spoiler I've ever seen. When the lame Tim Burton Planet of the Apes movie came out, they re-released a new version of the original film on DVD. The cover-art on the DVD case had a big picture of the destroyed statue of liberty. They spoiled the end of the movie on the DVD case! They mind as well put the Skywalker family tree on the cover of Episode IV.I had Return of the Jedi spoiled for me as soon it was released to theaters in 1983. I was listening to the news on the radio, and they revealed the whole relationship between Vader and Luke and Leia. It was telegraphed in the Empire Strikes Back, but still...to reveal it before the majority of theater-goers even had a chance to see it has to be the height of ruination.

alfonzos
12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
It wasn't a movie that was spoiled for me, but a television series. I remember reading in a newspaper, the twist capper to the series "Newhart." That spoiled the show for me totally.

Yorikke
12-11-2011, 08:58 PM
simplicio, the DVD box for Hancock also spoils the movie.

How so?

Joe

Mahaloth
12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
How so?

Joe

This one, i guess? It may hint that Charlize Theron is super-powered. I don't think it is that much of a spoiler-hint, though. (http://www.amazon.com/Hancock-Unrated-Special-Blu-ray-Smith/dp/B001F76PDS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323659465&sr=8-3)

AuntiePam
12-11-2011, 10:30 PM
This one, i guess? It may hint that Charlize Theron is super-powered. I don't think it is that much of a spoiler-hint, though. (http://www.amazon.com/Hancock-Unrated-Special-Blu-ray-Smith/dp/B001F76PDS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323659465&sr=8-3)

It wasn't a spoiler right off the bat, but when she first appeared in the movie, she was the mild-mannered ladylike wife of Jason Bateman or Nathan Fillion or whoever played her husband. That image was too different from the image on the box, so you knew something was up, even though you didn't know the details.

Morgyn
12-11-2011, 10:34 PM
In one of his stories, Spider Robinson asked a question that I haven't seen an answer to. Perhaps someone in here knows the answer.

Kane dies alone. There's no one near him, right? So how did anyone know his last word was "Rosebud"?

Yorikke
12-11-2011, 10:43 PM
In one of his stories, Spider Robinson asked a question that I haven't seen an answer to. Perhaps someone in here knows the answer.

Kane dies alone. There's no one near him, right? So how did anyone know his last word was "Rosebud"?

A wizard did it.

Joe

Rilchiam
12-12-2011, 03:41 AM
And it doesn't make much difference if anyone in the story found out what "Rosebud" meant. Nothing hinges on it, like if Kane had an heir who will lose out on an inheritance if s/he doesn't figure it out. In fact, there's no indication that it was even a proper name. He could have been saying he wanted rosebuds on his coffin. If anyone had been there to hear him.

Clothahump
12-12-2011, 11:02 AM

What I want to know is how it became public knowledge that Rosebud is what Hearst called his sweetie's hoo-hah.

Ian D. Bergkamp
12-12-2011, 11:21 AM

I assumed the camera guy told them. Or they just read the script. :)

Although I've seen the movie, I can't remember the details of that scene very clearly--is Kane unquestionably alone, or do we just not see anybody else in them room?

AuntiePam
12-12-2011, 12:08 PM
The opening scene is on YouTube. There's a closeup of Kane's mouth, he says "Rosebud", the snow globe falls and breaks, and a nurse opens the door to his room. No way to know if she came in because she heard him or because she heard the globe breaking.

Roderick Femm
12-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Kane dies alone. There's no one near him, right? So how did anyone know his last word was "Rosebud"?This is answered (badly, IMHO) in the course of the movie, they mention that the nurse was there and heard it. Which seems contradicted by the montage where she seems to come into the room after he said it. But whatever.

Roddy

Sam A. Robrin
12-13-2011, 01:42 AM
In the 1970s I worked as a projectionist. Several-times-daily viewings of the trailer for the movie The Eyes of Laura Mars had inspired me to make a guess as to who the murderer was. I went to see it, and told my date--and when I turned out to be right, she was enormously upset with me!

Noel Prosequi
12-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Not really a deliberate spoiler, but I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan when it first came out. Now to be sure, I wasn't expecting Abbott and Costello, but when I saw the faces of the audience coming out as I was queueing to go in, it was pretty obvious that things weren't going to end well for Tom. Still, the first 20 minutes were worth it anyway.

furryman
12-13-2011, 08:47 AM
I always waited for the paperback Harry Potters. I went out of my way to avoid reading anything about the Deathly Hollows to avoid spoilers. Then some jerk posted a viral video revealing the twist at the end. Grrrr :mad::mad:

randwill
12-13-2011, 08:54 AM
In the 1970s I worked as a projectionist. Several-times-daily viewings of the trailer for the movie The Eyes of Laura Mars had inspired me to make a guess as to who the murderer was. I went to see it, and told my date--and when I turned out to be right, she was enormously upset with me!

Clarification requested. You ran the trailer but the movie didn't play at the theater where you worked running the trailer?

Sister Vigilante
12-13-2011, 03:14 PM
My cousin was at a theater watching Troy. When they roll the big horse up to the gate, the girl sitting next to him (they weren't together) leaned over to her friend and whispered, "I bet there's people inside." He had to get up and leave the theater because he couldn't stop laughing.

Then, when he was telling us this story, my sister in law didn't get what was so funny.