PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunters

lenin
06-02-2001, 12:10 PM
I searched the archives and the board for an answer to this, but none could be found. I was wondering if someone could help me out..

Is it true that bounty hunters can search, seize, and arrest without warrents? I've heard that since they work independantly and are not employees of the state, they can do the above things while searching for people who jumped bail.

Ringo
06-02-2001, 12:28 PM
Previous GQ threeads you may find of interest:

On bounty hunters (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=61560)

Bail & Bounty-Hunters - for real? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=4686)

I'm guessing you didn't change the search default for date.

KidCharlemagne
06-02-2001, 12:49 PM
Well regarding warrants, their already is one because in order to involve a bounty hunter, they must be a fugitive. But in general, bounty hunters absolutely have more freedom in doing what is necessary to find fugitives. There are some specific laws regarding searching that favor the bounty hunter over the sanctioned law enforcer, but most of it is unwritten. There have been HORRIBLE mistakes made by bounty hunters (like breaking into the wrong house and terrorizing children by accident) that were never brought to trial, mostly because every lawyer knows you aint gonna win.

Una Persson
06-02-2001, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by KidCharlemagne
There have been HORRIBLE mistakes made by bounty hunters (like breaking into the wrong house and terrorizing children by accident) that were never brought to trial, mostly because every lawyer knows you aint gonna win.

I agree - they do seem to have an incredible ability to escape prosecution even when appearing to blantantly violate your civil rights. It is even difficult to get much satisfaction by a civil suit, since they typically are individuals and not large corporations.

That having been said - if a bounty hunter breaks into my house by accident, I will shoot them. No hesitation.