PDA

View Full Version : Marantz WiFi stereo question

velomont
08-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Several months ago my wife and I bought a Marantz M-CR610 wifi receiver. We are obviously fans of internet radio and are happy with the purchase. There are a variety of search methodologies for internet stations including a keyword search. There's one problem, however, and that is that one of my favourite internet stations seems inaccessible on this system.

I love Attention Span Radio 1, one of Live 365's stations but in any search I've tried I get no result for ASR1 or Live 365. I assumed that any internet radio station would be available on any device but I am worried that that might not be the case. I tried emailing the station to ask them about this but I got no response from them.

Are there any technical, wifi-savvy dopers out there who would have some insight about this or is there some other search term that I should be using?

FluffyBob
08-14-2014, 09:31 PM
I have a Yamaha network receiver that is similar. I am not exactly sure how all this works, if I understand correctly Live365 is its own proprietary internet broadcast system, which your Marantz receiver does not support at this time. According to the product page (http://ca.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=WirelessMusicSystems&ProductId=MCR610) it supports vTuner, Spotify, Sirius, Pandora but not Live 365.

vTuner (http://www.vtuner.com/) is what the Marantz uses for 'internet radio'. I believe they have a few 365 stations and they do invite you to request stations to be added so that may be an option to try.

velomont
08-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Hey Fluffybob,

Thanks for the info. I saw the product page after buying the Marantz and it had never occurred to me that there would be any limitations. I sort of assumed that a wifi sound system was basically a PC with no keyboard, monitor, or apps. And with my PC I can listen to ASR or any other Live 365 station.

I'll check out the vTuner site.

Cheers,

velomont

Little_Pig
08-15-2014, 08:32 PM
velomont

I'm a newbie to this. I haven't heard the word "Marantz" since the 70's and yes, the had a reputation for making good high end equipment back then.

Questions.
What features swung you to this model?
Were there competing receivers you were considering?
What kind/whose speakers do you prefer?
What kind of directory do you use to find stations?

velomont
08-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Hi Little_Pig
We since moved into a 60 year old house where that wouldn't be practical so we decided to see what was out there. There isn't a huge assortment and I suspect that they're all more or less the same quality. We did look at some Denon models (obviously extremely good) but the options they had just weren't suited to us. If I recall correctly we could get the previous year's model, which had a CD player (we still use them) but came with speakers, and we already have a good set of speakers. This year's model didn't come with speakers and didn't have a CD player.
While shopping around in another store we found the Marantz system and it suited our needs. Their floor model happened to be connected to the same speakers we have, Monitor Audio Silver RS1.
Station selection is done by navigating, using the remote, through a menu system shown on a digital display and you can search using previously listened, keyword search, and location.

Big caveat: I am not an expert on this stuff so there may be others who can weigh in and provide more/better info.