PDA

View Full Version : Tools and Drywall and Manly Stuff! Ooo Ooo!

DougC
06-05-2001, 07:41 AM
- - - (-tho' there's some ladies that can do it too,,,)
~
- I bought a cheap orbital sander yesterday, and it says you can use it for sanding anything except "extended drywall sanding". What's up with drywall? I thought perhaps it might be because the model I bought doesn't have on of those vacuum cleaner hook-ups and they don't want you breathing drywall dust, but they don't say anything about not breathing any other kind of dust, and that's what respirators are for anyway. Is there some reason that sanding drywall is hard on electric sanders? - MC

ElvisL1ves
06-05-2001, 08:08 AM
If you sand drywall on the same spot for too long, you'll rub through the paper and weaken it. Or, the warning could be about clogging the motor's ventilation air passages and thereby overheating it - drywall dust particles are tiny and sticky, and get everywhere, not just up your nose.

Guy Propski
06-05-2001, 08:49 AM
I agree with Elvis' first comment. Drywall should always be lightly hand sanded, to prevent damage to the paper covering. Once that's damaged, you are screwed. Save your orbital sander for wood finishing.

Spritle
06-05-2001, 09:45 AM
I don't think the sander company gives a hairy rat's pitooty about you sanding through the drywall. Yes, it should be hand sanded, but they don't really care. I'm sure it's a repair issue. They don't want you to gum up the bearing lubricant with gypsum dust until the shaft siezes and then bring it in to the store complaining that it only has 2 hours of operation and you demand a replacement.

GaryM
06-05-2001, 12:30 PM
I think Spritle has the answer. Drywall, Gypsum, is basicaly sand and is very abrasive. Hard on bearings and motor brushes.

A slightly wet sponge works very well for smoothing drywall compound with no dust problems.

Milton De La Warre
06-06-2001, 07:00 AM
Gary M: Right on! The sponge method is the way to go by far and away! This method cust your labor and general grief many times over.

Drywall compound dust is also bad for the person doing the sanding.

fenrir
06-06-2001, 11:52 AM
In my many years of hanging drywall i would never have thought to use an electric sander.There is no need to sand joint compound that extreme.A couple light passes with a sanding pole , or with a sponge is all you need.I really don't think the gypsum dust would do much damage to the tool.I've seen many tools get covered with alot worse than just drywall dust with no problems.